Burning Flame

By dilenu

Sequel of HEALING WOUNDS Featured on @AmbassadorsNG 26/11/21 With a blast from the past, an estranged husband... More

Author's Note
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 41 part 2
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Important Author's Note

Chapter 37

17 10 8
By dilenu

Street food is a brand. It is a cuisine inherited from our parents and culture. — K. F Seetoh

"Mom, let's go!" Tara muffled voice came from behind the door.

"I'm coming; give me five more minutes," Dora called back from over her shoulder.

"You know, you will make us get there late," said a new voice.

"I am coming, sis! Don't worry."

"You have been saying that for one hour!"

Dora's eyes flickered close and she let out a groan.

Why can't they understand I need to look perfect for every occasion?

Her sister's stern voice broke her musings.

"Five minutes, Adaora. And that's it."

"Got it," she said and their footsteps drifted away.

She turned back to the mirror and gazed at her reflection. A smile of contentment graced her lips.

Her palm slid down her maroon sheath dress that fell slightly below her knees.

She turned away from the mirror and slipped into her black sandals and carried her handbag. Her shoes clicked on the tiles as she stepped out of the room.

"Ahh, finally!" Tara exclaimed as she appeared at the entrance of the living room.

"I was about to come and drag you out," Chiaka said with a playful grin. "But the wait was worth it. You look good." Her eyes sparkled.

"Agreed!" Tara chimed in with a smile.

"Thank you. You guys don't look bad one bit." She beamed.

"Thank you!" Chiaka and Tara chorused with a smile.

"Now, let's go. I don't want to be blamed for any further delay."

Tara and Chiaka laughed and headed towards the door. The trio sauntered out in the shining sun.

                         ★★★★

A few hours later...

"Finally the meeting with the event planner is over, should we head out for lunch?" Tara asked.

Dora's stomach rumbled at the thought of food.

"Yes. I have been craving some suya," Chiaka said with a grin.

"Oh my God, same. Having a taste of street foods has recently been on my mind ." Tara's face lit up. "What about you, Mom?"

Tara and Chiaka turned to face Dora.

Dora shrugged. "No problem. I am quite hungry as well."

"Great!" Tara exclaimed in excitement. "Let's go."

The women hailed a taxi and headed to the nearest roadside joint.

Minutes later, they arrived at an open stall with tables of different sizes tucked under umbrellas. A man stood behind a counter roasting skewers of meat on a high fire.

The trio took their seats at a table for three.

"Let me place the order." Tara smiled and ambled away.

The aroma of chilies and spices tickled Dora's nose and she sneezed. However, the aroma was so intoxicating, her mouth began to water.

"It shall be ready and served in fifteen minutes," Tara announced and took her seat.

Dora nodded in acknowledgment and her eyes scanned the area.

The honking of vehicles on the highway filled her senses. The chatter of people around rang in her years.

Her eyes scanned the stall and she wasn't surprised to see all the tables occupied and a long queue in front of the counter.

The trio chatted as they waited. They discussed the wedding preparation and touched on other light topics

"Aha, here it is!" Tara exclaimed in a delighted voice.

Dora turned and watched a waiter approach them with a platter. A smile grazed her lips as he dropped the platter on the table.

"Ooh, this looks delicious!" Chiaka said and leaned forward.

Dora's eyes flew across the dish. They stopped on the rings of onions and tomatoes surrounding the chunks of spiced meat on the skewers.

Her stomach rumbled again and her mouth watered

(Picture below. Courtesy Google]

Suya is spiced meat on skewers that originates from the Northern part of Nigeria. It is popular Nigerian street food.

After a quick prayer, the women dug in.

Ahh, this is so good! Dora thought as she chewed a piece of meat. The flavors of the different spices awakened her tastebuds.

Chiaka released a moan. "Now I understand why there is such a long queue."

"True," Tara remarked. There is definitely a high demand for this suya in particular. And that's because it is the best in the area."

"I agree. It's definitely the best I have had in a long time."

Dora was so engrossed in relishing the food, she didn't contribute to the conversation even though she agreed with both of them. 

Several minutes later, the platter was emptied with no trace of food on it. 

Tara exhaled and leaned back in her seat.  "I feel so stuffed." She produced a toothed grin. 

"And sleepy," Chiaka muttered and stifled a yawn.

Dora shook her head in amusement. "As much as I would love to go home and have a nap, we still have places to go."

Chiaka huffed and Tara groaned. 

"Can't we postpone it?"

Dora chuckled. "No. It's important."

"Okay...let's go." Tara dragged out.

The women packed up their things and were soon on their way. They arrived at the shopping several minutes later.

They were heading toward the entrance of the mall when a voice stopped Dora in her tracks.

"Ms. Dora! Ms. Dora!"

Dora whirled to the sound of the voice and her face lit up in recognition as the person raced towards her.

"Ms. Dora!"

"Mide, darling!" Dora bent and wrapped her arms around her. Her eyes drifted ahead to the approaching figures. She tensed as her eyes fell on a familiar face.

Her smile returned as Ellie embraced her. Although, Ellie's protruding stomach prevented them from hugging properly. 

"Ms. Dora, it's wonderful to see you here," Ellie said as she pulled back. Her eyes crinkled at the side as she grinned.

"I can say the same thing." Dora smiled with fondness shimmering in her eyes.

Her eyes drifted to the side; she exchanged greetings with Ellie's husband and sent a quick smile to Gerald. 

Ellie's enthusiastic voice reclaimed her attention. 

"And this must be Tara."

"Yes. And that's my senior sister." Dora smiled and pointed to Chiaka. 

Ellie's smile broadened and she stepped closer to them. "It is nice to meet you both. Especially you, Tara. She speaks so highly of you."

Tara smiled. "She talks fondly about you as well. I have come to terms that I have to share her with you."

Ellie's laughter rang out. "You got that right."

A smile crept onto Dora's lips as she gazed at Ellie and Tara converse with smiles on their faces. It was a clear sign that another bond was forming.

"I'm glad they get on well," a familiar voice whispered in her ear.

Her eyes flickered up and she gazed into the eyes of Gerald. The softness in them made their brownness look like melted chocolate.

"Yeah..." She breathed out without breaking eye contact. The expression shimmering in his eyes pulled her in until everything faded. 

Finally, the clearing of a throat broke their staring trance. Dora's breath caught, she turned away and ducked her head.  Heat crept up her cheeks.

Giggles and snickers filled the atmosphere and Dora's cheeks warmed.

"Well, if we are done out here then we should head in. Ms. Dora, you all should please join us. We decided to treat ourselves to our favorite restaurant." Ellie said.

Dora returned her smile. "We would have loved to but we had some suya before coming here."

"Ahh, okay!" Her smile fell but returned as a glint appeared in her eyes. "Since you have already eaten you can have some drinks instead." She grinned.

"That would have been nice but we have some places to go." Dora sent her an apologetic look. "Maybe next time."

"Awww, please don't refuse." Ellie pouted and sent her a pleading look. "Next time, all of us might not be together."

Dora opened her mouth to argue but was stopped by a touch on her hand.

She looked down into the pleading eyes of Mide.

"Please, Ms. Dora. Come with us," she said in a low voice. "It would be fun."

Dora's eyes widened and her lips puckered as she contemplated what to do.  She spied a look at Gerald and found him staring at her with hope shimmering in his eyes.

A slight frown marred her face as a thought crossed her mind.

Why are they so insistent on our joining them? Is it a ploy to get me and Gerald together?

Her mind muddled with different thoughts and rendered her unable to make a decision. 

Finally, she decided to seek help from Tara and Chiaka. Her eyes sought them out and she sent them a question with her eyes.

What should we do?

Chiaka gave a noncommittal shrug. However, Tara wore a different expression. A huge grin graced her lips and she mouthed "let's stay".

Dora's shoulder fell but she sent Tara a curt nod and turned back to Ellie and Mide.

"Okay...fine. But we will only stay for a few minutes."

"Great! No problem." Ellie beamed. "Now let's go." She marched forward and everyone followed her into the mall. 

Several minutes later, the group was seated in a cozy restaurant with tantalizing aromas floating in the air. Light conversation flowed across the table. 

However, Dora found herself unable to enjoy the ambiance of the restaurant, the engaging discussions didn't interest her and the milkshake placed before her couldn't erase the dryness in her throat

She sat rigidly with tight knots in her stomach. Her eyes didn't dare flicker to the person on her left. Because whether it was a trick of fate or a trap of someone, she found herself seating next to Gerald.

Every now and then, their shoulders brushed and caused Dora's breath to hitch. With every touch, new emotions rushed forward. Emotions she thought she no longer felt.  

A few minutes into their meal, someone cleared their throat.

"Ms. Dora, I want to tell you something."

Dora turned to face Ellie who grinned from ear to ear. Her brows rose as she stared at her. "Please go on." She produced a slight smile.

She couldn't stop the fear that welled in the pit of her stomach. A sense of Deja vu washed through her. 

"We found out the gender of the baby!" Ellie declared with glee written all over her face.

"Oh my word, that's wonderful!" Dora face lit up and her tension dissipated. "Is it a boy or a girl?" Her eyes gleamed with curiosity.

Ellie released a laugh. "You shall find out in two weeks." Her eyes sparkled with mirth and she produced a cream-colored envelope and handed it over to Dora.

Dora accepted it and her eyes examined it.  "What is this?" Her brows furrowed.

Ellie chuckled. "That is an invitation card for our baby shower  and gender, reveal party!"

                            ★★★★★

Oooh, we are going partying. 😂
Who is excited about that? Let me know in the comments section.  XD

Hip hip hooray! It is the first day of a new month.  I love it when a chapter update clashes with such dates. 😁

Anyway, I pray that this new month usher in snazzy blessings for you and yours😘 ❤

And finally, before I forget myself 😂
Our Question of the chapter is: Have you had street food, what did you have and what was it like?
And for those of us who haven't had street food, what street food would you like to have and why?

Well, to answer the question... Yes, I have had some Nigerian street food.
For example, I have had suya which was featured in this chapter. And I have also had boli (roasted plantain) and then roasted corn and ube which is some kind of pear. They are all delicious in their unique ways. However, my favorites are suya and boli😂

Anyway, enough talking about food, don't forget to 👇

Until next time, have a delicious street food 😂

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.2K 167 22
Life obstacles can sometimes interfere with love. Buttah wears 42 like a 22 year old. After her divorce, she walked into her new beginning bold and...
5.1M 117K 55
New release! (( This book is a sneak peek at what is now available on Amazon and FREE on Kindle Unlimited! There are 5 chapters available for you to...
29.3K 1.4K 91
[COMPLETELY EDITED AND FINISHED.] This book is a sequel to Assassin Love and cannot be read as a stand alone. READ ASSASSIN LOVE FIRST OTHERWISE YOU...
55.9K 2.9K 32
"Jake couldn't stop his eyes from dropping to my body. His gaze lingered on my curves, his face thirsting for something more than the spilled coffee...