Sailing With Destiny

By Bookworm_Tina

"Do you have any idea how damn frustrating you are?" He trapped me between him and the wall. Stubbornly, I l... More

Preface
Paris
Pont des Arts
Monte Carlo
Sumptuous Repast
BlackJack
St Tropez
Friend or Foe
Provoke
Morning Coffee
Portofino
Kayak
Kiss it Better
Tuscany
Off-route: London
Brotherly Things
The Marino's
Frustration
Corsica
Cherry
Ibiza
A Night in Ibiza
Costa Blanca
Cupcakes
CumpleaƱos
Fiesta
Old Wounds
Homebound
Vacation Over
New York
Bubbles and Beer
Petty
Class Day
Celebrate
Priorities
A Magical Day
I Hate My Birthday
Intern
Millie Bee
Summit
That Escalated
Ego
Liquid Courage
Predicament
Corporate Sexy
Dinner at Dad's 2.0
Anti-Mila
Voice of Reason
Fragile
Talk To Me
A Little Better
Not What You Need
Revelation And Secrets
Forgive Me?
Space
The Night Begins
Can The Night End Already
He's Still My Friend
I Got You, Always
Wedding Date
Friends
The Calm
Before
The Storm
I Promise
I Hate Halloween
Best Friend or Girlfriend?
Decisions, Decisions
I Can't Live Without You
I Will Survive
Nostalgic
Holiday Surprises
I Trusted You
I Trusted You Too
A Mental Maze
Always
Mark My Words
Call It Destiny

I don't Know You Anymore

827 48 105
By Bookworm_Tina

Of all the people I could've imagined seeing Leo with, I'd never have thought I'd see him with Mitchell's little sister, Kate. An array of thoughts and feelings ran through me, confusion being the prominent one. 

"Mitchy," Kate's voice broke my reverie. "What are you doing here?"

"Me?" Mitchell sounded furious, to say the least. "I should be asking you that question. What the fuck are you... wait a minute –" Mitchell gripped Kate's arm and pulled her out of the elevator.

"Mitchell," I scolded. I didn't care how mad he was, he had no right to handle his sister that way. I held his forearm and tried to get him to let go of her but he glared at me so icily that I instinctively pulled away.

"Mitchy!" Katie resisted but he was far stronger than her. "Let go of me!"

"Mitchell, let go," I coolly said. 

"I don't know what's going on here or how you know each other but let go of her." Leo glared at Mitchell. 

Does Leo have a death wish?

"How do we know each other?" Mitchell let go of Kate and took a step toward Leo. "Are you fucking kidding me right now?"

"Mitch, can you calm down and explain what the big deal is?" Kate coolly spoke. 

Mitchell was furious, Kate and Leo were confused and I felt stuck in the middle. Mitchell looked like he was ready to murder Leo and before that happened, I had to do something. 

"The big deal?" Mitchell yelled. "Let's start with the biggest fucking problem. What the hell are you doing with him in his apartment at this hour, huh?"

"Mitch." I gripped Mitchell's arm, in hopes to calm him down. "Let's maybe go inside and you can talk to Kate. This isn't going to solve anything."

"No, I will not go inside and talk about anything!" Mitchell pulled his arm out of my hold. He pointed at Katie. "You are to stay the hell away from him, am I clear?" Mitchell glared and pointed at Leo. "And you stay the fuck away from my little sister or I swear, I will ruin you!"

Leo stepped out of the elevator and took a step toward Mitchell. Before they stood chest to chest, I got in-between them and placed my hand on Mitchell's chest so he could step down. Neither seemed to notice me and instead venomously glared at each other. 

"Who the fuck are you to tell me what to d..." Leo trailed off and realization mixed with confusion dawned down on his features. He turned to Kate and frowned. "Sister?"

Leo glanced at Kate with a quizzical expression while she lowered her gaze and bit her lip. I was confused by her reaction too but it seemed Mitchell was set out for blood because he saw nothing but rage toward Leo. 

"You said your name was Kathryn Edwards," Leo directed the question to Kate. 

"What?" Mitchell glowered at his sister. "I thought you gave up that shit years ago. Why are you lying about your last name?"

Why does this sound familiar? I don't know if I should be more scared for Leo or pity Kate because she's about to get a long-ass lecture from her big brother.

"I..." Kate hesitated. "I just wanted to get away from the Clarke name and be... simple for once. Besides, it's not like I completely lied, I might be a Clarke but I'm part Edwards too."

Mitchell clenched his jaw and curled his fingers into fists before he took in a deep breath. "We'll talk about this later." Mitchell handed her his car keys. "Get in my car and wait for me. I'm taking you home."

Kate crossed her arms and scowled. "I'm not a kid, Mitchell. You can't tell me what to do or who to hang out with."

"Katie, don't push it."

Kate ignored Mitchell and stepped toward Leo. Her expression softened and she was about to reach for him but Mitchell pulled her away. "Mitchell, stop!"

"Get in the fucking car, Kathryn," Mitchell's tone reeked of anger and authority. "I will not repeat myself."

Leo gripped Mitchell's hand and pushed it off Kate. "Sister or not but you have no right to keep grabbing her like that."

Leo wasn't wrong but he should've kept his mouth shut. After what he did to me the last time, he was the last person to preach about morale. 

Mitchell pushed Kate behind him and within seconds, he grabbed Leo by his collar. Panic slowly crept in fear of a brawl that appeared to break out. I grabbed Mitchell's arm and tried to pull him away but he didn't even flinch. "Mitch, let him go."

"What did you say?" Mitchell spat. "After what you did to Mila, you have no fucking place to lecture me!"

Leo stared at him nonchalantly and I found it weird how... cold Leo appeared. He didn't resemble the person I grew up with. "Get your hands off me."

Mitchell's jaw ticked and he was ready to throw a punch but Kate held him from one side and I, from the other. "Mitchell, please." 

"Mitchy, let him go."

Anxiety kicked in, my skin prickled and my heart raced. I hated conflict and didn't need a repeat of Mitchell hitting Leo. "Mitch, please calm down. You're scaring me!"

Thankfully, Mitchell glanced my way and I might've been mistaken but his gaze softened a fraction. He harshly let go of Leo and while Leo composed himself, Mitchell took in a deep breath. 

"Mila, you should put a leas –" Leo began. 

"Don't!" Mitchell seethed. "Don't talk to her, don't look at her, and don't ever fucking go near her!"

"If I see you anywhere near my sister or Mila...."

"Stop being such a damn control freak!" Katie exclaimed. "I don't know what your issue is but you can't tell me or Mila what to do!"

"Kate."

"Don't give me that," Kate dismissed. "I can be friends with whoever I want. I can talk to whoever I want, hell I can damn well scre-"

"Kathryn!" Mitchell bellowed. 

I'd only seen Mitchell that mad twice. The first was in Moab when I was almost molested and the second was recently when Leo drove me home at a speed. Startled by his tone, I made my way to Kate and held her hand, silently telling her to be the calm one. After all, two angry Clarke's were worse than one. 

"No, Mila." Kate pulled her hand out of my grasp. "You might allow this behavior but I won't." 

"Don't involve Mila. This has nothing to do with her."

"I'm starting to think she is involved." Kate looked between me and Leo. "You two know each other?"

I swallowed a lump in my throat as I stared at Leo who looked back at me indifferently. "Knew," I clarified. "I grew up with Leo."

"Wait a minute..." Katie pointed between us. "Leo is your best friend, Leo?" Katie looked accusingly at Leo. "Why didn't you say anything? You said you had no friends and your life is surrounded by work and some family time."

Ouch. 

"I wouldn't talk about sharing if I were you," Leo retorted. "And what I said was true, I have no friends. Mila was my neighbor's grandkid, what is there to share?"

Double ouch. 

"Enough with this bullshit!" Mitchell raked his fingers through his hair. "Katie, we're leaving. Let's go."

"Excuse me?" Kate crossed her arms. "You're not Dad, stay in your lane."

"As if you even listen to Dad," Mitchell scoffed. "But you're right, I'm not Dad so you're not going to get your way."

Am I dating a non-biological version of Dad?

"Or, we can head upstairs and you guys can calmly talk there?" I suggested. 

"You're such a hypocrite!" Kate narrowed her eyes. "You do as you please, hang out with whomever you want and no one can say a word. So why the hell am I not allowed to choose my friends?"

"Friend?" Mitchell ridiculed. "Is that what you call him?"

"Yes, regardless of what your narrow mind thinks, we're just friends."

Mitchell pointed at Leo. "The fucker doesn't know the meaning of friendship, not after what he did to Mila." 

Leo appeared displeased with Mitchell's continuous slander. "You're pushing it too far."

That got Mitchell's temper up and running again. Before he could take a step closer, I grabbed his arm and used all my strength to hold him back. "I'm pushing it?" Mitchell seethed between gritted teeth. "First you put Mila's life in danger and then have the fucking nerve to associate yourself with my sister and I'm fucking pushing it?!"

"If I'd known she was your sister, I wouldn't have had anything to do with her!" Leo spat. I didn't miss the glance he sent my way. "I have no interest in associating myself with anyone in your life."

"Leo..." I breathed incoherently under my breath. 

While my heart hurt hearing Leo's words, Kate appeared confused and furious. "What is the issue with you guys anyway? Don't you think it's unfair that you've put Mila in the middle of this testosterone war?"

"Kathryn, I suggest you be quiet." Mitchell icily glared. 

I came up with a migraine and my alcohol consumption from the night didn't help. Just when I thought the night couldn't get any worse, here I was. 

"I won't!" Kate retorted. "No one said a word when you were hanging out with Kelsey in LA. Going to dinners, lunches, and having drinks until the late parts of the night. So, what gives you the right to tell me what to do?"

"For fucks sake, Kate." Mitchell gritted his teeth together. "I do not want to argue about this here!"

My head throbbed and I felt slightly lightheaded. I rubbed my temples and took in many calming breaths. While I was pretty healed after the surgery, it had still only been three weeks and Dr. Barlos stated that I should've taken it easy for at least six weeks post-surgery.

"Then leave, I'm not stopping you. Just don't expect me to follow your commands!"

Leo glanced at me and it might've been wishful thinking but it appeared as if his gaze softened for a split second. Before I was able to grasp anything, Leo looked away and turned his attention to Kate. "I can't believe I'm agreeing with him but you should leave with your brother. This argument is pointless and I'm done here."

"Leo..." Kate softly muttered. 

"You should've told me who you really were. Lying and pretending to be someone you're not... I'm not into childish games."

Kate stepped towards him but Leo put up a hand and without another glance, he walked away. I felt bad for Kate because I found myself in her shoes once. 

"He'll come around," I assured Kate. "If you want, I'll talk to him and try –"

"You will do no such thing," Mitchell abruptly interrupted. 

I didn't appreciate Mitchell's tone but I felt way too miserable and sick to retort. "Don't start a fight with me now."

"I'm not, I just don't want Leo anywhere around you." Mitchell looked at Kate. "Both of you. Besides, there's nothing to talk about or for him to come around to. He did the right thing by walking away."

Kate rolled her eyes, huffed, and stormed off. Mitchell was ready to chase after her but he quickly reversed and looked at me. 

"Go, I'll be fine."

"I'll drop her home and be back soon." Mitchell kissed my forehead and ran after his sister. 

***

The elevator stopped at the lobby and to my surprise, Leo stood outside when the silver doors opened. Our eyes locked and both of us stood immobile, just staring at each other. It was strange how we went from best friends to strangers in a moment. Never had I felt awkward talking to Leo yet here I was, with my voice stuck in my throat unable to utter a word. 

"I'll take the stairs." 

"Leo!" I chased after him but he took quick strides towards the staircase and completely ignored me. The door to the stairway flung back and forth but I caught it in time and cursed under my breath as I watched Leo skip steps and rush up. 

"Leo, hold up!" I ran up the stairs but it didn't help that I wore five-inch stilettos and was beyond exhausted with a migraine. 

I held onto the railing for support and took quick steps until I was almost caught with Leo. My feet burned and calves ached and just as I was about to reach for Leo, my shoe slipped and I nearly fell back. 

I let out a shriek and my heel tipped over the edge of the stair. I fell back but quickly held onto the railing. In the process, with a force, my abdomen hit the hard steel. My heart felt as if it was about to jump out of my chest but I breathed in relief that I didn't fall. 

"Mila!" Leo came rushing down. He reached toward me but restrained himself and slowly let his hands drop to his side. "Are you alright?"

"Hijo de puta," I cursed between gritted teeth under my breath. "Does it take almost breaking my leg for you to hear me out?"

Guilt flashed in Leo's eyes, he opened his mouth but at a loss of words, he closed it again. "I just heard you scream so it was the human thing to check."

I rolled my eyes, let go of the railing, and moved to shove him but I felt a sharp pain in my abdomen where the incisions from my surgery were still in the process of fully healing. I flinched and held onto the area. "Joder!"

"Hey." This time Leo reached for me. "Are you hurt?"

I tried to shove him off but it hurt when I moved. "Don't pretend to care."

"I'm not..." Leo took in a breath. "Let me help you up to the next floor and then you can get on the elevator."

Leo wrapped an arm around me but in the attempt to shove him away, he pressed a little too firmly over my abdomen which made me hiss and flinch in pain. "Don't touch me there! The wounds aren't fully healed yet."

"S-sorry." Leo quickly pulled his hand away. "Wounds? What happened?"

I took in a breath and stood straight. "From the surgery," I muttered. "Anyway, I shouldn't have chased after you. You've obviously written me off for good, I was stupid to think my Leo was still somewhere inside you."

"Surgery?" Leo frowned. "What surgery?"

I realized I overshared in the moment and regretted it. I shook my head. "It's not important. I'm sorry I bothered you, I'll let you be."

I tried to take a step up but my legs hurt and the pain in my stomach was way too uncomfortable. Leo wrapped an arm around my shoulder. "Don't fight me. It's just a couple more stairs and I'll be out of your hair."

I had no choice but to oblige and while we walked up, Leo stared nonchalantly ahead as I stared at the side of his face. His stubble appeared overgrown, his eyes looked sunken with dark circles underneath and I might've been mistaken but his face looked a little thin. 

"When last have you slept? You look like shit."

"Thank you."

"Seriously, what's going on with you? You don't look... very good."

"Again, thank you."

"What happened to you, Leo?" I couldn't stop myself from asking. "What caused this change? Was it something I did? Is it my relationship with Mitch?"

"Get over yourself, not everything in my life revolves around you," Leo curtly replied. "I have other things going on and you aren't a priority anymore."

His words more than just stung, they damn well hurt. "I never asked to be your priority. We were friends and I understand people drift apart but you turned cold."

"Here we are." Leo ignored my words and we stopped in front of the elevator. "Can you manage by yourself from here?"

"Why Leo?" Hurt was thick in my voice. "Why did you cut me off? If I did something to hurt you, tell me. I miss –"

"Stop!" Leo put up a hand and glared. He urgently pressed the button on the wall as if the elevator would miraculously arrive sooner. 

Tears pooled in my eyes and a lump built in my throat. Leo refused to look at me and his body language told me he wanted to get as far away as possible from me. "Leo..."

"Don't be pathetic, Mila. You're better than that," Leo bitterly said. "Some relationships aren't meant to last. Besides, it's better this way. Your boyfriend doesn't like me in your life and I don't want to associate myself with you or your family again. You heard what your Abuela said in Costa Blanca, I'm no one and it's for the best."

"Look at me dammit!" I yelled. Reluctantly, Leo turned his cold, emotionless gaze my way. "Where is this coming from? My Abuela? What happened to Nonna? What did my grandparents do to you?"

Just then the elevator door opened. "There you go, I'm sure you'll be fine from here."

"Leo!" I shouted but he didn't as much as flinch. "Talk to me, dammit!"

Leo stared at me for a long moment and gulped. "I'm sorry," he mumbled and walked away. 

"Leo..." Tears rolled down my cheeks and as much as I wanted to chase after him, I knew it was futile. I lost my best friend and it damn well shattered my heart. 

I wasn't sure what time Mitchell was to get back or if he even would return that night. So, I went about my normal night regime, took a painkiller, and got into bed. I tried to catch up on a chapter of the current book I read to occupy my mind but failed. Every little thing that went wrong from the night worked on my head but the worst had to have been my conversation with Leo. 

I picked up my phone and searched for a picture Leo and I took during my birthday in Spain. A lump grew in my throat as I stared at the happy image. Leo had his arm swung around my shoulder and he wore a grin while my eyes were narrowed from laughing at something he said. I ran my fingertips over the picture and wondered when and how it all went wrong. 

My eyes slowly began to close and I didn't remember when I fell asleep. However, it felt like I was asleep for a minute when I was interrupted. The bed dipped and someone covered me when my eyes slowly fluttered open. I felt something feathery soft on my cheek and to check what it was, I turned on my side to be greeted by a familiar pair of blue-gray eyes. 

"You have an awful habit of sleeping without the covers." He gently combed the hair out of my face.

I opened my eyes wider and blinked twice. "Mitch?"

"I'm sorry." Mitchell brushed his knuckles against my cheekbone. "Did I disturb you?" 

"You came back?"

"I said I would."

A small smile grew over my lips and I stretched out my hand. "What's the time?"

"Two AM."

I breathed in relief. "I can sleep some more."

"Hmm-mm, but first come here." Mitchell gently pulled me closer, wrapped an arm around me and I rested my head on his chest. 

I nuzzled my head against his warm chest, scooted closer, and breathed in his scent. "I missed you."

"Me too." Mitchell kissed the top of my head and breathed in deeply. "I'm sorry our plans for tonight got ruined."

"It's okay," I sleepily mumbled. "Unless you're into necrophilia, it's for the best. Because I probably would've passed out with you inside me."

"Even half asleep you've got no filter." Mitchell softly chuckled and ran his fingers through my hair. 

"Love you too," I muttered. Our conversation led me to remember the events of the night and my eyes automatically opened wide. "Is Kate okay?"

Mitchell sighed. "She's mad but she'll come around."

"Is she talking to you?"

"Barely. She kept insisting that she and Leo are only friends and that she was at his place to watch a movie and have dinner. It sounded a lot like a date to me but I trust her so I believe what she said."

"Hmm-mm," I hummed. "Did you talk to your parents?"

"They were asleep when we reached the penthouse. I'll go over tomorrow and clear things up with Katie before she makes it seems as if I'm a meddlesome brother."

"You kind of are..."

"Mila."

"I don't want to argue but there was a better way to handle the situation tonight."

"What's your opinion of what happened? Do you think Leo is good for Katie?"

I took a moment to answer and my mind flashed back to our conversation from earlier. "If you asked me this three months ago, I'd say yes but now..." My heart felt heavy at the reminiscence of the night. "I don't know Leo anymore to vouch for him."

I licked my lips and swallowed. "Without any reason, he tossed almost two decades of friendship away. I guess friends can break your heart too."

"Baby..." 

I took in a breath and composed myself. "It's okay, I'll be alright. Just work things out with Katie at the soonest."

"Once we're both calmer, we'll talk maturely and I'll make her understand."

"Just don't be a tyrant and spit out instructions. Talk and reason with her or she'll purposely rebel."

"I'm not a tyrant."

"Is that all you heard?"

"I heard you." Mitchell wrapped his arms tighter around me. "I'll handle the situation better tomorrow."

I shut my eyes and nestled my cheek against his hard yet comfortable chest. "Good."

Mitchell ran his fingertips down my arm. "I'm sorry for scaring you tonight."

"Your temper scares me sometimes."

"But you know I'd never hurt you, right?"

I nodded. "I know but I'm scared you'd hurt someone else and then end up hurting yourself in some way. Automatically, I'm bound to be hurt too."

Mitchell took in a deep breath. "I'll try my best to do better."

"I'm sorry too," I softly spoke. "For my role in everything that's happened in the last couple of weeks."

Mitchell gripped my chin and made me look up at him. His gaze was warm and loving as he stared down into my sleepy eyes. "You don't have to apologize for anything. You handled things a lot more maturely than I. Besides, time apart did us well."

"I know but it must've been hard on you."

"Honestly, it was hell." Mitchell huffed. "But it's the past now, we can move forward from here."

Mitchell leaned forward and brushed his lips over mine. "I can't lose you," he whispered with his lips lingering over mine. "Not ever."

"Me neither." I shifted back into my position and rested my head over his chest. "Even when we're fighting or at odds, you're my safe place... you're home." I wrapped my arm around his torso and pressed my lips over his chest. "This is where I'm the happiest and most comfortable."

Mitchell wrapped both arms around me and kissed the top of my head twice. "I'm not going anywhere. I promise."

***

The next week went a lot smoother than the last couple. Mitchell and I were at a good place again and saw each other every night. I was pretty much one hundred percent better post-surgery and back into my normal routine. 

I spend much-needed time with Faith the day after the fund-raising event while Mitchell sorted things out with Kate and his parents. My time spent with Faith lifted my spirits and getting everything off my chest about what I'd dealt with recently helped. We had a girl's day and met up with Owen and Mitchell at night for dinner. I found myself wholeheartedly laughing after a long time and it felt good to be with the old gang again. 

Kate was still a little mad with Mitchell but she sort of understood his reasoning after he explained what Leo did to me. However, it still didn't stop her from reaching out to Leo but typically, Leo went MIA. Kate finally understood what Mitchell meant and headed back to LA with her parents. I felt bad but I couldn't make excuses for Leo and even if I wanted to make him see reason, he completely cut me off. 

I was still hurt and even heartbroken by the end of our friendship but Leo made himself very clear that night. He wanted nothing to do with me or my family and I needed to respect that and move on. I knew I'd always cherish the good memories and moments we shared. 

Surprisingly, Nowak was slightly less of an ass when I got back to work. He didn't look and speak to me as if I were vermin and was somewhat nice. Wang and I caught up during our lunch breaks and I briefed him on everything he missed. 

By the time Friday arrived, I was exhausted and wanted nothing more than to have a long bath, drink a glass of wine, and then have an early night. However, Mitchell made reservations for dinner so I needed to head home first to get ready before he picked me up. 

Seated at the back of the Maybach while Patrik drove me home, my phone vibrated with a text from Mitchell. 

Mitch: Don't kill me but raincheck on dinner? I forgot about a corporate dinner scheduled for tonight.

I was disheartened but completely understood that duty called. It wasn't like Mitchell canceled plans with me often. 

Me: That's too bad but it's okay, I understand. 
Me: It looks like it's just me and Pedro the vibrator tonight.

Mitchell: I thought it was named Miguel.

Me: That's the blue one. Pedro is pink for when I'm feeling a little less kinky.

Mitchell typed for a long while, stopped, and then started typing again. 

Mitch: I can't believe I'm procrastinating by discussing the names of your so-called vibrators.

Me: They really exist. The only reason I haven't introduced you guys is that I don't want to hurt Señor Shrimp's feelings. Pedro and Miguel are a lot bigger you see... 

Mitch: ...
Mitch: I have no words. We have the weirdest conversations.

Me: I love you too.

Mitch: I've got to go. Love you, Baby ❤️

I couldn't suppress a smile as we wrapped up our conversation. It was nice to be in a happy space with Mitchell after what felt like forever. 

Dinner plans might've been canceled but my night plan went accordingly. I took a long bubble bath, had one glass of red wine, and caught up on some reading. It was around nine PM that I got hungry and decided to cook something. 

Just as I pulled out a pan my phone rang. I ran to the couch where it lay and frowned when I saw Dave's name flash on the screen. Dave rarely called, he preferred texting so it was very odd to receive a call from him. 

"Hey Davey, everything alright?"

"Mila," Dave spoke breathlessly and it was a little difficult to hear him over the background noise. "I didn't know who else to call."

"What happened?"

"You need to get here ASAP. It's Leo."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

222K 13.3K 38
"So, let me get this straight. You stomped all over his paperwork?" She started. "Not intentionally, but yes," I confirmed it. "Threw a drink in hi...
240K 12.7K 77
"Do you ever give being insufferable a rest? Don't you get tired of annoying me and then acting smug about it?" Mitchell annoyed asked the infuriatin...
10.1K 1.2K 64
We were together. I forgot the rest. A car accident got me to suffer from amnesia, leading me to cross the paths of a rockstar. I assume I had never...
20.5M 346K 42
#1 Teen Fiction | #1 Young Adult | #1 Romance "We all need someone to drive us mad." - The Wombats. He stared arrogantly down at me, a smirk plaste...