Hidebound

By Apagewithani

After a close call Hex is back on parole and Poppy couldn't be happier. The Darlings spend their time making... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter TwentyOne
Chapter TwentyTwo
Chapter TwentyThree
Chapter TwentyFour
Chapter TwentyFive
Chapter TwentySix
Chapter TwentySeven
Chapter TwentyEight
Chapter TwentyNine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter ThirtyOne
Chapter ThirtyTwo
Chapter ThirtyFour
Chapter ThirtyFive
Chapter ThirtySix
Chapter ThirtySeven
Chapter ThirtyEight
Chapter ThirtyNine
Chapter Forty
Chapter FortyOne
Chapter FortyTwo
Chapter FortyThree
Chapter FortyFour
Chapter FortyFive
Chapter FortySix
Chapter FortySeven
Chapter FortyEight
Chapter FortyNine
Chapter Fifty
Chapter FiftyOne
Chapter FiftyTwo
Chapter FiftyThree
Chapter FiftyFour
Chapter FiftyFive
Chapter FiftySix
Chapter FiftySeven
Chapter FiftyEight
Chapter FiftyNine
Chapter Sixty
Chapter SixtyOne
Chapter SixtyTwo
Chapter SixtyThree
Chapter SixtyFour
Chapter SixtyFive
Chapter SixtySix
Chapter SixtySeven
Chapter SixtyEight
Chapter SixtyNine
Chapter Seventy
Chapter SeventyOne
Chapter SeventyTwo
Chapter SeventyThree
Chapter SeventyFour
Chapter SeventyFive
Chapter SeventySix
Chapter SeventySeven
Chapter SeventyEight
Chapter SeventyNine
Chapter Eighty
Chapter EightyOne
Chapter EightyTwo
Chapter EightyThree
Chapter EightyFour
Chapter EightyFive
Chapter EightySix
Chapter EightySeven
Chapter EightyEight
Epilogue

Chapter ThirtyThree

2.8K 122 5
By Apagewithani

I had left work without informing Stevie. I would've left even if he said I couldn't. What's he going to do? Fire me? Call me into his office again? I don't think even Stevie is dumb enough to do that right now. I'm still worked up about that stupid conversation but the distraction of Hex's pain had lessened it slightly.

He can't even ask Harley about me leaving because she'll quite literally rip his head off. And he won't bother asking Sarah, I don't think he has spoken to her since she was hired. I hope she knows it's because he's a prick and not because of anything she's done.

Besides, I feel less guilty about leaving now that Sarah is settled in and knows the in's and out's of Darby's. And Harley has also reassured me that everything would be fine without me.

And so I made my way to Silverwood Public Hospital. I don't doubt that the lady at reception will begin to recognise me with how often I've been here over the years.

I find Hex in a waiting room, surrounded by screaming, sick children that were waiting for their own appointment's as their tired parents try there best to soothe them.

His hand is wrapped in paper towel that I assume came from the mechanic shop. It's stained red and makes me swallow harshly. I guess the cut is worse then I thought.

"Jesus Christ, Hex" I exclaim as I stop in front of him. He looks up from the chair in confusion as he sets his gaze on me.

"What are you doing here, baby?" He questions and starts to stand but I stop him with a hand on his shoulder and push him back into the chair. His hair is a mess from his hands running through it and his face seems kind of pale. It's definitely not from the blood because he had caused a lot more blood spill then a cut, I hope he's not getting sick.

"Clyde called me" I explain and take the seat next to him, placing my palm on his knee as it bounces.

"Of course he fucking did" he grumbles from besides me. "Ah fuck, he's got my phone" he continues.

"How did you get here?" Surely he would've been brought in through emergency if he arrived by ambulance? Right? Did Clyde drive him?

"Drove here" he avoids eye contact as he says it, like he knows I won't approve of the answer.

I tsk under my breath but am in no way surprised. This isn't the first time Hex had refused help. It's also not the second or third time.

I get curious after a moment and slowly pull back the paper towel that covers his hand. He lets me and watches closely.

The bleeding had stopped but the cut was long across his entire palm and deep enough that I could see his flesh inside.

I physically feel my face pale and cover it back up quickly.

"You need to be more careful, you'll be held together by stitches soon enough" I mumble as I look over the rest of the room and watch the snotty kids run around.

Hex leans back in his chair and man spreads, his boots slapping the lino floor and he runs his hand through his hair with a breath of frustration as we wait. I wonder how long he's been sitting here, waiting.

"How'd you get off work anyway?" He asks. I avoid his eyes as the anger is reignited inside of me at the thought of Darby's.

"I'll tell you later" I shake my head. Hex picks up on my mood change quickly but before he can ask about it a doctor walks into the waiting room.

Parents perk up, hoping it's their child's turn but deflate again when the doctor turns to us instead.

"Hex Rose?" Hex stands and I follow, hoping the doctor will let me in the room with them so that I don't have to sit with the kids any longer.

"And... wife? Girlfriend?" The doctor asks as we begin walking down the hall, in the direction of an open door.

"Uh" I swallow "wife" I still hadn't got used to the fact that I'm now a wife and this is the first time someone's asked me of my marital status.

I side eye Hex and feel my cheeks heat slightly at the cocky smirk that paints his mouth, his pain forgotten.

I should be used to seeing Hex get stitched up by now but the sight of the needle numbing him and the needle that sews up his palm is still a sight I can't stomach. I stand behind the doctor so that I could still be there for Hex but not see the blood and needles.

Hex handles it like it was nothing. If he wasn't looking at me over the shoulder of the doctor then he was looking down at his hand, watching as the needle threads in and out. I can almost read his mind as he observes the doctors technique so that he can stitch himself up next time. I almost scoff out loud at the thought, he can't truely think I'd ever let him do that.

"These should dissolve on their own so no need to come back and have them taken out. Seeing as it is your hand though I would advise wearing some type of protection while working" the doctor informs us before we leave and head to the hospitals entrance.

"I'll meet you at home" I kiss Hex goodbye as he heads in the direction of his car. I watch closely, even once I'm in my car just in case he had trouble but he made it safely. I have no doubt if he can drive himself to the hospital then he can drive himself home.

I get home first, Hex pulling into the driveway just behind me.

I had planned to go back to work but Harley sent me a text saying that it hasn't been busy and to not bother coming back. The last thing I wanted to do at the moment was make Stevie money anyway.

"How're you feeling?" I ask as I lock the door behind us. Hex's hand remains wrapped in clean and blood-free bandages.

"I'm fine. What happened at work?" Hex gets straight to the point. I turn and look at him, my face that of shock at the fact he remembered and that I now had to explain what had happened. "Something pissed you off, tell me what it was".

I shake my head and walk into the kitchen. Hex follows close behind me, his chest heating my back.

"Stevie called me into his office" I begin.

"About Harley again?" He guesses as he crosses his arms across his chest and a deep frown sets on his face.

"No" I push back my baby hairs. "He wanted to congratulate me on the wedding" Hex nods for me to continue, knowing there's more to the story. "And that was the end of him being a decent person" I mumble loud enough for Hex to hear. "He wanted to know if we were planning to have children anytime soon so that he could - quote on quote 'make the best decision for Darby's."

Hex's face remains in a deep scowl with his arms crossed as he takes in what I had told him. I can feel his own anger bubbling through our bond as he processes the information.

"He would fire you if you got pregnant?" He questions but it comes across as more of a statement.

I nod "pretty much" I lean on the counter behind me and watch Hex as his eyebrow ticks and his jaw clenches.

"What'd you say?" His eyebrow arches, I hadn't expected that question.

"I... told him to mind his own business" I reply quietly.

Hex nods, approving of my answer. I turn and grab a glass from the cupboard, filling it with water and taking a sip.

"Good job, baby" Hex praises me. "But you know that if that ever happened I would support you".

I nearly choke on my water as he speaks.

"What do you mean?" I ask hesitantly. I hope I hadn't given Hex any ideas. The fear of that thought chills my bones.

"If there ever came a time where you couldn't work I'd support you" he makes clear as he uncrosses his arms and leans on the kitchen island. "If you decided you don't want to work anymore, I would support you".

I feel the pricks of tears in the backs of my eyes as his words register. The realisation that I would never be alone again fills my soul. The reassurance that if I ended up in financial ruin that Hex would be there to pick me back up.

"I would do the same for you" I whisper across the silent room to him. His lips pull up in a small smile.

"You already have, Poppy" flashbacks of the time before the mechanic shop and just after Hex had been released from Hellbound flash through my mind. It hadn't felt like I was supporting him, I was just being his Darling.

I talk around the lump in my throat "Well... I would do it again".

The light in Hex's eyes becomes brighter at my words and he steps around the island, wrapping an arm around my waist and pulling me into him.

"I love you, baby" he whispers against my forehead before pressing a kiss to the same spot. "I would do anything for you" he says even quieter.

"I love you too, Hex".

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Will he By tanz

Teen Fiction

12.2K 272 46
Let's face it, We all have that one person who we secretly love, the person who's never going to know how much you care about them. The person who w...
107K 7.8K 79
In the day-to-day trenches of high school, it is almost the default-setting to believe we are the main character of our own coming-of-age story. Thi...
159K 5.8K 46
Some people are designed to follow the rules. Thomas is one of them. Raised in the shadowy corridors of a Catholic Church, ideas like order, routine...
47.2K 1.1K 31
~ Featured 2× on @StoriesUndiscovered's Reading List Tales Of The Heart. ~ Featured on @WattpadEmpowered's Reading List Monthly Spotlight. ~ Winner...