Sailing With Destiny

By Bookworm_Tina

"Do you have any idea how damn frustrating you are?" He trapped me between him and the wall. Stubbornly, I l... More

Preface
Paris
Pont des Arts
Monte Carlo
Sumptuous Repast
BlackJack
St Tropez
Friend or Foe
Provoke
Morning Coffee
Portofino
Kayak
Kiss it Better
Tuscany
Off-route: London
Brotherly Things
The Marino's
Frustration
Corsica
Cherry
Ibiza
A Night in Ibiza
Costa Blanca
Cupcakes
Cumpleaños
Fiesta
Old Wounds
Homebound
Vacation Over
New York
Bubbles and Beer
Petty
Class Day
Celebrate
Priorities
A Magical Day
I Hate My Birthday
Intern
Millie Bee
Summit
That Escalated
Ego
Liquid Courage
Predicament
Corporate Sexy
Dinner at Dad's 2.0
Anti-Mila
Voice of Reason
Fragile
Talk To Me
A Little Better
Not What You Need
Revelation And Secrets
Forgive Me?
Space
Can The Night End Already
I don't Know You Anymore
He's Still My Friend
I Got You, Always
Wedding Date
Friends
The Calm
Before
The Storm
I Promise
I Hate Halloween
Best Friend or Girlfriend?
Decisions, Decisions
I Can't Live Without You
I Will Survive
Nostalgic
Holiday Surprises
I Trusted You
I Trusted You Too
A Mental Maze
Always
Mark My Words
Call It Destiny

The Night Begins

803 51 106
By Bookworm_Tina

I waited for a response from Mitchell but he just stared between me and the woman. "Well?" I prompted. "Are you going to tell me why she's here or are you just going to stand there and look pretty?"

Mitchell cleared his throat and snapped out of wherever his head was. "Are you mad?"

Was I mad? I wasn't sure but I was certainly taken off guard. "Did you invite her?"

Mitchell sheepishly nodded. "I guess I should've run it by you first, huh?"

"Maybe."

"You are mad."

I shut my eyes for a second and huffed. "I'm not mad. Just a little surprised." 

Mitchell was about to respond but stopped midway when his guest spotted him and made her way over. She grinned and before she could get any closer, I turned to leave. 

"Where are you going?" Mitchell gripped my forearm.

"To mingle."

"What's wrong?" Mitchell's brows furrowed. "I thought you liked Kelsey. She got back from London a couple of days ago, still upset over her father's condition so I invited her to get her mind off things. And she's a philanthropist so having her here is beneficial."

I pursed my lips and carefully thought over my words so I didn't come off as a clingy, untrusting, jealous girlfriend. "I don't dislike her." I shrugged. "I just barely know her."

"That's understandable but you can at least say hi before you run off."

Mitchell was right. I might've not expected her but she was still my guest who contributed to the night. I gave in and mentally prepared myself to fake a smile as she drew closer. 

"Mitch!" Kelsey exclaimed and engulfed Mitchell in a hug. 

My eyes followed Mitchell's one hand that landed on her upper back. She wrapped her hands around his neck and stood on her tippy toes while she hugged him tightly. Kelsey was Mitchell's good friend and I had nothing against her but I couldn't help the uneasy feeling that built in my stomach seeing how close she was to him. 

I didn't even get a hug.

Kelsey pulled away after what felt like a lifetime but rested one of her hands on Mitchell's shoulder. "It's been way too bloody long since I've seen you."

"It's been a busy couple of weeks," Mitchell replied. 

"I can relate but it's good to be back." Kelsey's eyes found mine and she smiled. "I apologize for my poor form." Kelsey extended her hand. "Hello, Mila. It's lovely to see you again."

I shook her hand and grinned. "Thank you for being here."

"Of course. I admire your philanthropy. If I'd known you ran this organization, I'd have arranged a meeting with you to discuss ways I could contribute."

"I appreciate that thank you but I'm just starting, I have a long way to go."

"Rome wasn't built in a day, take your time and I'm certain you're going to excel. Mitch always tells me how brilliant you are."

I glanced at Mitchell who stared at me with a grin on his face. "Mitchell is too kind and generous with compliments."

Kelsey playfully punched Mitchell's shoulder. "As he should be. Other than brilliant, you look stunning." Kelsey smirked and winked. "No wonder a certain bloke can't take his eyes off you as we speak."

Mitchell licked his lips, cleared his throat, and quickly looked away. A tiny grin grew over my lips and to tease him, I tapped his cheek. "Keep that mouth closed before you drool."

Mitchell didn't respond with words but merely stared at me with an arched brow and a challenging spark in his eyes. I knew that look and it stirred a feeling of excitement in the pit of my stomach. 

Kelsey laughed and interrupted our moment. "We've got to have dinner together sometime. I'd be entertained with Mila just roasting you."

I didn't understand why I was hostile towards Kelsey when she seemed nice. I was always guarded but assumed I was pretty sociable and easy to get along with yet with Kelsey... I struggled to even fake a smile. 

"I hope you enjoy tonight." I smiled. "If you guys will excuse me, I've got to make my rounds to say hi."

I didn't miss the curious look in Mitchell's gaze but chose to ignore it and after I brushed my hand over his, I walked off. I grabbed a glass of champagne off a waiter's tray and headed toward my friends.

I noticed that Dante, Kiara, and her fiancé arrived and were already introduced to Owen and Faith. The group seemed friendly with each other and it took them a second to notice I was present. After I greeted the trio who just arrived, Kiara introduced me to her fiancé. 

"So, you were finally able to peel yourself away from Mitch?" Faith teased. 

"I am yet to meet the infamous Mitch," Kiara said. 

Dante looked around the room. "As am I. Which one is he?"

"Just look for the tallest guy in the room," Owen said. 

"Or the one with the brightest eyes," Wang added. 

I rolled my eyes at their answers and searched for Mitchell to only see him approaching us. "Speak of the devil and he appears."

Just then Mitchell arrived and his hand found the small of my back. Everyone's eyes landed on him and Mitchell awkwardly looked at their faces. "Um, am I interrupting something? Why are all of you staring at me?"

"Because you were in LA and didn't even bother calling." Owen slapped Mitchell's arm. 

"And we were just talking about you," Faith added. 

Mitchell looked at me quizzically before he turned his attention to the group. "You were?"

"He really is the tallest person in the room," Dante said to Wang. 

"And his eyes are the brightest," Kiara muttered. 

"Uh, maybe I should go..." Mitchell awkwardly mumbled. 

I suppressed my laughter and gestured to Kiara, her fiancé, and Dante and introduced Mitchell. Owen sulked about Mitchell not meeting him in LA until Faith scolded him and the two of them were besties again. 

"It feels good to have the gang back," Wang commented. "With newly added members."

"Yeah, I missed you guys," Faith squeezed my hand. "Just Leo's missing. Is he not here yet?"

My heart sank and my smile dropped. I missed Leo and thought of him all the time. I missed the Leo I knew and adored but was reminded of how much he'd changed. I felt Mitchell tense beside me and hoped he didn't disclose anything. The last thing I needed was to talk about everything that went wrong in my life recently. 

"No, he won't be here," I replied with a fake grin.

"Come to think of it, I haven't seen Leo in a while," Wang mused. 

"Who's Leo?" Dante curiously asked. 

"Mila's handsome BFF," Wang replied. 

Not anymore.

"Hey!" Faith exclaimed. "We might be in a long-distance relationship right now but I'm Mila's best friend."

"I mean, Mila's childhood friend," Wang clarified. He turned his attention to Kiara and Dante. "You guys should meet him sometime. He's probably one of the nicest people I've ever met. He's sort of like the guy version of Mila in some ways."

"That I can't disagree with," Faith chuckled. 

"Is he even still in New York?" Owen curiously asked. 

All the questions and talk about Leo overwhelmed me. I gulped my champagne in one go to hopefully ease my nerves. I just realized how detached I'd been with my friends. Other than Mitchell, no one knew anything that had happened in my life as of late. 

Mitchell's hand once again found my back and it helped when he drew circles with his thumb over my exposed skin. "Guys," Mitchell coolly said. "This is Mila's night. Can we rather focus on who's here?"

I didn't miss Faith's curious gaze as I smiled gratefully at Mitchell. Mitchell asked if I was alright with his eyes and I half nodded with a slightly wider smile. 

"Speaking of," Owen broke our moment. "Is that Kelsey or am I seeing things?"

"She does look like Kelsey," Faith muttered. She looked at Mitchell. "Is Kelsey back in the country?"

Mitchell nodded. "That's Kelsey, I invited her. She got back a few days ago."

My brows furrowed. "Have you guys met?"

Faith nodded. "We met her the last time she and Mitch were in LA. I thought you would've known?"

I knew Kelsey was in LA with Mitchell because he mentioned that he bumped into Liza at the hotel Kelsey stayed at. However, I had no idea that they went out often and even met up with our friends. I wasn't sure how I felt about the revelation but I knew I needed another drink.

"Is she the beautiful blonde in the green dress?" Wang glanced at the slender woman who just grabbed a glass of champagne a few feet away. 

"That's her," Owen said. 

"So, Mila isn't the only one with pretty friends, huh?" Wang teased. "When do we get an introduction?"

"I thought you're here with Dante. Why are you so interested in everybody else?" I spoke in a snappy tone. 

Everyone's taken aback gazes landed on me and I took in a breath. "Jimmy, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to sound rude. I'm just on edge about tonight but it was wrong to take it out on you."

Wang smiled and waved me off. "Don't sweat it, I understand."

"Let's go grab some snacks and maybe dance?" Dante offered. "I think Mila needs a moment to breathe."

"No, I'm fine," I lied because I didn't feel fine. 

Wang winked at me and excused himself before he left with Dante. After some small talk, Kiara and her fiance walked off.

"Looks like it's just us," Owen grinned. "Just like old times."

"I'd say there are some changes," Mitchell mused. 

"Yeah, you two don't hate each other anymore," Owen chuckled. "Do guys still fight?"

"Owen," Faith scolded. 

"What?" Owen drawled. "As their ex-referee, it's good to check in once in a while."

"You want to take back your old job?" I raised a brow. "Mitch might not be wearing white this time around but I can find a way to ruin his black jacket."

Owen took a moment before he spoke. "I don't know if you mean that literally or in a dirty way."

Mitchell placed one hand in his pocket and suppressed a smirk. "What do you think?"

Owen rolled his eyes and cursed at Mitchell. "You guys are messing with me."

"I'll answer that if you can confirm you now remember to flush," I smirked. 

"He does but he doesn't air out the bathroom when he's done," Faith replied on his behalf.

Owen glared at all of us who laughed. "Alright enough. Mitch said tonight was about Mila so let's focus on her."

"Please don't. I hate attention. Rather enjoy the night, listen to the live band, eat and drink to your heart's content and just have fun." I glanced around the room and it was filled up. Everyone seemed to have been having a good time and soft chatter mixed in with the sound of the acoustic guitar played by the band. It was nice to see that the entrees and drinks waiters served everyone was a hit. 

"Speaking of, I need a refill. I'll be right back." Owen took Faith's hand and together they headed towards the bar. 

"Are you alright?" Mitchell asked. 

"Hmm-mm," I forced a smile. 

"Mila?"

"I was overwhelmed there for a moment but thank you for changing the subject," I honestly said. "It's weird how out of touch I've been with everybody though. I've been a shitty friend and should probably fix that."

"Hey, don't be hard on yourself." Mitchell gently ran his fingertips up and down my bare arm. "You've had a rough couple of weeks and shouldn't have to talk about it until and unless you want to."

"Says the guy who always asks me to talk to him."

"Well, I'm an exception to the rule." Mitchell grinned and kissed my temple. "Have you eaten anything today?"

"I had cereal this morning."

Mitchell looked at me in dismay. "Morning was hours ago."

"I had no time with work and then setting up and –"

"And I don't want to hear it. I think hunger contributes to your irritability." Mitchell grabbed my hand. "Let's get some food in you before Owen has to really take up his old job as a referee."

"Are you threatening to fight with me?"

"I am the victim, Mila, and I'm afraid you'll succeed in tearing out my hair this time."

Mitchell got me to agree to eat something and at making me laugh. It was in those little moments that I forgot about everything else, including our recent issues. Mitchell dragged me towards the kitchen because he said crackers and other entrees weren't enough to sustain and tame the hangry beast in me. 

"Mila!" On our way over my name was called and we stopped in our tracks. I came to a halt in front of Dad and to my surprise Kelsey. 

Kelsey gripped my free hand and pulled me away from Mitchell. I glanced between Dad and Kelsey who seemed to be in the middle of an entertaining conversation. 

"Dad?" I frowned. "Kelsey?"

"Yeah, remember I told you I knew uncle Damien as a kid. He was good friends with my dad and when my mom passed, he was the one who consoled me."

Right. I forgot all about Kelsey's relationship with Dad. 

"Millie, I didn't know you were friends with Kelsey," Dad said. 

"She's Mitchell's friend," I clarified. "They were in Yale together. I didn't know you were... well acquainted with her family."

Be cool, Mila, be cool.

Mitchell must've noticed my hostility, he squeezed my hand, removed it, and offered to shake Dad's hand. "Hi, Mr. Brinson, I hope you've been well."

Why are their interactions always so awkward?

Dad's smile from earlier waned, he looked down at Mitchell's hand then at him. Dad kept his hand in his pocket and the other firmly wrapped around his glass as he stiffly nodded. "Mr. Clarke."

It didn't take Dad long to gather that my recent surgery was related to the accident. I kept the details at a minimum but Dad was way too smart for his own good and figured out the complications I could've had in the future. To say he wasn't pleased would've been an understatement but he still reserved his comments for my sake. However, his current hostility toward Mitchell took me off guard and told me he held Mitchell responsible. 

"Dad." I prompted him with my eyes and gestured to Mitchell's hand. 

Kelsey noticed the tension and awkwardly took a sip of champagne. "I see you're an overprotective father, Uncle Damien." Kelsey brushed her hand over Mitchell's shoulder. "But rest assured, your little girl is in good hands. Mitch is the epitome of a gentleman."

Mitchell slowly retracted his hand and I was annoyed at Dad's rudeness. I wanted to say something but other than Kelsey beating me to it, I thought I'd save it for later. Mitchell might've messed up a few times before we got together and we currently weren't one hundred percent on good terms but I couldn't deny how good he was to me. He didn't deserve Dad's bad attitude. 

I scooted a little closer to Mitchell and looked Dad straight in the eye. I intertwined my fingers with Mitchell's and half-grinned. "Dad knows that already."

"You're a lucky girl, Mila," Kelsey mused. "On one hand you have Mitch who loves you with how entire being and a dad like Uncle Damien." Kelsey smiled at Dad. "You helped me get through the loss of Mom. Your visits were the highlights of my day back then, I can only imagine how wonderful it must've been to have you around all the time."

"Do you remember how often we played musical chairs?" Kelsey laughed. "When I think back now, you hated it but still played for my sake. And you always lost on purpose just to make me happy."

Jealousy and a little resentment towards Kelsey grew quickly inside me but I was also hurt that I'd never experienced that with Dad. I barely saw him smile let alone play games. I knew he had his reasons but it damn well hurt to know he acted more like a father to a stranger than to me. 

"I'm sure bedtime stories were fun, Mila." Kelsey turned to me. "Uncle Damien used to read to me all the time and I recall Goldilocks being my favorite."

Joder! It's always Goldilocks, I hate that character and her story more than anything!

"Kels," Mitchell said sternly. "Do you want to grab a drink with me?"

My mind envisioned Dad playing a fatherly role to a little blonde girl while I almost drowned in a pool, got forgotten in a supermarket, and had Mom lash out at me for silly things during one of her episodes. I recalled waiting an entire day on one of my birthdays to blow out the candles because I hoped Dad would've showed up but he never did. Why? Because he was too busy playing musical chairs and reading fucking Goldilocks to Kelsey freaking Campbell!

I ground my teeth together and the hurt I felt was quickly replaced with anger. Dad and I had gotten to a much better place but to have Kelsey throw it in my face how fatherly Damien could've been back then cut me deep. 

"My glass is still almost full, thanks though." Kelsey's eyes were on me and Dad lowered his gaze. "Mila, are you alright?"

"It wasn't fun," I bitterly said. "I never played musical chairs or had a bedtime story read to me. So, no, Kelsey, I don't consider myself very lucky." 

"Mila," Mitchell whispered under his breath and tightened his hold on my hand. "Let's go."

I ignored his words and stared straight at Dad as I spoke. "This organization is not only named after my mom but dedicated to her because she suffered from Alzheimer's and died two years ago. Unlike you, I didn't have anyone comfort me with musical chairs and bedtime stories. I attended to my sick mom. Alone."

"But you're lucky Kelsey, having an adult in your life at that age when you're grieving is a blessing not everyone has."

"Mila." Dad guiltily looked at me. 

I plastered on a fake smile and removed my hand from Mitchell's. "Enjoy the rest of the evening. I need another drink."

Without a second glance, I left. My heart felt heavy and Kelsey's words contributed to it. Mitchell ran after me and grasped my hand. "Hey, I'm sorry. Kelsey doesn't know about –"

"I know, I have nothing against her." I pulled my hand out of his grasp and coldly glowered. "But maybe you should've consulted with me before inviting her."

"Mila, I didn't think she'd trigger you. I'm sorry."

"It's fine. Just let me be for a while."

"Mila..."

"Mitchell, please. This has nothing to do with you, I just need a moment to myself."

Mitchell nodded and I felt bad for taking my bad mood out on him when he meant no harm but fresh air was the only thing that could've helped at that moment. Mitchell walked off and just as I was about to leave, Mason stood in front of me. 

"How about that dance, Mila?" 

I politely smiled. "I'd love to but not right now, I need to head out –"

Mason offered me his hand. "I only heard the first part. My wife already turned me down, don't hurt this old guy's feelings."

My heart wasn't in it but the hopeful glimmer in Mason's eyes made me cave. I placed my hand in his and he grinned widely as he led me to the dancefloor. A soft melodious tune played and I rested one hand on Mason's shoulder while he held the other. 

"Cheer up, kiddo," Mason said. "Not even Botox can save you from those frown lines."

I attempted to laugh but I was still way too upset. "I'll try collagen first."

"I'm sorry if I'm overstepping but I overheard your conversation with Damien and Kelsey," Mason softly said. 

"Oh that, it's nothing." I faked a laugh. I'm just surprised Dad was able to laugh back then let alone play musical chairs. I have to admit it's a funny image seeing him run around chairs."

"You're a terrible actor, you know that?" Mason said. "You don't have to pretend you're not upset."

I took in a breath and lowered my gaze. "What can I do? Yes, I'm upset but like everything else, I'll get over it too. I can't undo what's happened."

"You shouldn't have to hide your feelings, it's okay to let him know how you feel about what you heard. It's okay to sulk and even throw a tantrum for a while. Your feelings aren't invalid and you should never make the mistake of burying them."

"I know," I said in a small voice. "Dad's trying to make up for his mistakes but..."

"It hurts to hear about how caring he was to a stranger while he isolated you?"

A lump built in my throat. I lifted my gaze to meet Mason's and slowly nodded. "Am I being too sensitive and childish?"

"Of course not. We don't remember a lot of things from our childhood but certain things stay with us forever. I always say it's the happiest and saddest moments of our lives that are imprinted in our minds."

Mason was right. Unfortunately, I had more sad memories than happy ones. All my happy memories were with Mom and my grandparents, I couldn't recall one happy moment with Dad. 

"I always assumed it was hard for him to show any kind of affection but after hearing what Kelsey said, I can't help but wonder why he was so... cold towards me. I was his own yet he showed far more love to a stranger."

"Honestly?" Mason's tone sounded as if he asked for permission to go on. "He was selfish. With all due respect to your father but I can't sugarcoat his actions or make excuses for him."

"Loss is a part of life and there was a time I was terrified to let anyone close to me because I was afraid of losing them. But as I grew and matured, I realized that I'd rather spend as much time as I have with them than keep away and live with regrets. A happy memory with someone you love is better than no memories of them at all."

It was the first time someone told me as it was and it felt good. Everyone else made excuses for Dad and while I sort of understood his reasons, Mason was still right in calling him selfish.

"You're right," I whispered. 

"The good news is he's trying to make up for lost time. I know it hurts... a lot but don't let the past shadow a future. Make new memories and I promise one day it will block out all the bitterness you feel."

I smiled gratefully at Mason. "Thank you. No one's ever been so blunt about it before."

"I see myself in you sometimes," Mason mused. "I had a strained relationship with my mother. I won't bore you with the details but I always felt she never loved me. She constantly criticized me and made me feel like a failure and a waste of air. She even compared me to Damien and always told me how she wished I was more like him."

My lips parted in surprise from hearing how complicated Mason's life possibly was. The Clarke's seemed so well kept and close that I would've never imagined there were any familial issues. 

"I resented her for a very long time." I saw the guilt and pain in Mason's eyes. He blinked and quickly composed himself. "I didn't even attend her funeral when she died but to this day, I regret it. In the end, she tried to mend our relationship but I refused to accept her. I held too much anger and hurt to forgive and forget."

"Mason..." I was at a loss for words. "I'm sorry."

Mason grinned. "It's in the past and now I have a family I love more than anything. I learned from my parents' mistakes and even though I'm not a perfect father, I still do my best."

"You're a great Dad."

"Eh, I have my moments. Ask Mitch."

"Mitch is always full of praise for his parents."

"I bet Carly gets more than me," Mason teased. 

"Uh..."

Mason chuckled. "It doesn't worry me. Carly deserves more love. She's an exceptional mom and I learn from her every day."

"You should give yourself more credit," I said. "I'm not even your kid and you already got me feeling better."

"That was the plan," Mason winked with a grin. "But I also wanted to remind you how special you are. You might want to kill me for saying this but you have a loving touch that can fix anything."

"I don't see it but... thanks?"

"You should. The moment you entered Mitch's life again, he remembered how to smile and even laugh. He's happy after a very long time, he seems like my boy again and you have no idea how happy that makes Carly and I."

"We're still a work in progress but he makes me happy too."

"He better or I'll make him unhappy." I wasn't sure if Mason was kidding or not but I laughed, nonetheless. "But you don't just make him happy, you've helped him in so many ways. I still remember how beaten up he was after he made the stupid decision to leave you."

"Miserable is too mild a word. He really struggled and I'd never been more worried for him. He barely ate and slept and isolated himself from everyone. He struggled with severe anxiety, he'd have terrible nightmares and wake up with anxiety attacks."

It felt like my heart stopped. Mason shared unknown information and by his tone, he must've assumed I knew. I was aware that Mitchell blamed himself and drowned in guilt but I had no idea it was this bad. The mere image of Mitchell struggling broke my heart. I wondered why he never shared this piece of information with me. 

"What?" I whispered, almost incoherently. 

"It got so bad that he had to take something to manage it."

"Like benzodiazepines?" 

Mason frowned. "I only speak English and a hint of Spanish."

"Antidepressants," I clarified. 

Mason nodded. "It was the only thing that could manage his anxiety."

My heart raced and I had the sudden urge to see Mitchell pronto. My mind raced and I recalled how I recently indirectly blamed him for the accident and its after-effects. Mitchell never uttered a word but it must've broken him to hear it from me.

I am an awful, terrible person. How could I do that to him?

"Why did he blame himself when it wasn't even his fault?"

Mason took in a breath. "Mitch tries to come off as unbothered and even cold but he has the softest of hearts. He tends to blame himself for the smallest of things and when the people he loves are hurt, it kills him on the inside."

"When he was a kid, he was quite the brat. He used to get up to all sorts of mischief and Carly and I always butted heads on how to deal with him. One day he got into a lot of trouble in kindergarten and the teacher called us in. Carly tried to calmly talk to him while I lost my cool. It turned into an ugly argument between Carly and me and we didn't speak to each other for two days."

"Mitch blamed himself for that, right?"

Mason nodded. "He suddenly because very quiet and repeatedly apologized. After that day, he slowly started growing and his behavior drastically improved."

Oh, Mitch... 

The lump in my throat grew and I wanted nothing more than to hug Mitchell. "Is he still on the Benzos?"

Mason shook his head. "He stopped shortly after you guys got together. He's in a much better place now and it's all thanks to you."

"I can't take all the credit."

"You should. If I think back a mere week before he left for Bora Bora, his dose was increased because he was in a bad shape. Carly was so worried that she hesitated to let him out of sight, especially after one night he came home completely out of it without any recollection of how he even got there."

I played back Mason's words and something clicked in my brain. Mitchell repeatedly said he couldn't remember ever meeting Liza that night. He even said he had a lot to drink and mixed alcohol with marijuana. If he crossfaded and consumed Benzos that night, he not only put himself in danger but it explained his condition and memory loss. 

Everything suddenly made sense. Mitchell must've been so intoxicated that he even hallucinated which would've explained why he looked at Liza that way and kissed her. If I closely examined his body language from the CCTV, I would've been able to tell how intoxicated he was. 

Once the song was over, I thanked Mason for a much-needed talk and politely excused myself. I scanned the room in search of Mitchell until I found him at the bar with Owen. I half-mindedly grinned at the people who greeted me and took quick steps toward Mitchell. 

"Mitch." I gripped Mitchell's arm tightly and interrupted his conversation with Owen. Both pairs of eyes landed on me. 

Mitchel dropped his drink on the bar and turned to me with concern in his eyes. "Mila, what's wrong?"

"Nothing." I shook my head. "Can I talk to you for a minute?"

"Of course." We excused ourselves and left. 

I held onto Mitchell's hand tightly and led us to the private bathroom. "Mila, what happened?"

"Nothing happened, I just need a minute alone with you."

"Suddenly?"

"Can you be quiet until we're alone?"

I walked through the foyer and just as I was about to turn towards the passage that led to the private bathroom, I was stopped by a familiar face. 

"Dr. Brinson?" A frown covered his face and I didn't miss the quick once over I got. "I almost didn't recognize you."

"Dr. Nowak?" I replied, confused. "You're here?"

I sent an invite to Dr. Nowak out of courtesy and in hopes he would've given a short speech on Alzheimer's and Dementia. He didn't respond or even acknowledge the invite when he saw me so I assumed he wasn't interested. 

Dr. Nowak glanced at Mitchell beside me before he quickly looked my way. "I only read the details of your invite at the last minute or I would've informed you about my attendance sooner." Nowak glanced at the tall board with the name of my foundation, the details, and a picture of Mom. "Is that you on the board?"

I looked over my shoulder and smiled at the compliment. "No, that's my mom. The organization is to honor her and her struggles with Alzheimer's." I lowered my gaze and my hold on Mitchell's hand tightened. "She was diagnosed with early-onset and unfortunately succumbed to it two years ago."

"I didn't know. I'm sorry to hear," Dr. Nowak sincerely said. "Well, I'm glad I saw your email soon and can offer some insight to educate people on a disease that's not spoken about enough."

I was shocked and surprised at his sincerity and kind tone. "Thank you, Doctor. I appreciate you being here."

Dr. Nowak nodded and before he could leave, he glanced at a very curious and stern-looking Mitchell. 

"Um, this is Mitchell Clarke." I gestured to Nowak. "Mitch, this is my attending physician, Dr. Nowak."

"Clarke?" Nowak offered his hand to Mitchell. "You don't happen to be Dr. Carly Clarke's brother?"

My eyes widened and I suppressed a grin. 

"Son," Mitchell clarified and shook his head. "It's nice to meet you."

"Son?" Nowak sounded surprised. "Well, your mother is a great doctor whose work I admire." Nowak turned to me and I could've sworn he wore a tiny grin. "So that's how you know Dr.Clarke."

I nodded. "Yeah. I tried to tell you but..." I trailed off. "Anyway, please go through and have a good evening. The formalities will begin soon."

Nowak nodded and left. I needed a moment to believe that Nowak was not only nice but also present. 

"So that's your pain in the ass attending physician?"

"Yup but we can talk about that later, let's go."

"What's so urgent?" Mitchell asked. "Are you sure you're okay?"

I cursed my luck when we were stopped once again by the event coordinator. I was called back for the night's first fundraising auction. I sighed and contemplated if I was really needed for it. Mitchell said I was and that if nothing was wrong, I needed to wait to have a moment with him. 

Even while we sat at our table with our friends, I never left Mitchell's hand. I kept them interlocked and, on my lap, while the coordinator spoke in front. 

"I don't know what happened but I quite like this side of you," Mitchell whispered in my ear. 

I offered a small smile and leaned into his side while Andy walked onto the stage and took the mic from the coordinator. Something that appeared like a covered painting stood on the stage with him while he spoke. 

"This piece is not only exquisite but also holds a sentimental meaning," Andy said. "I am an art collector and thought this was perfect to add to anyone's collection."

Andy pulled off the cover and revealed a painting that only looked like a bunch of colors to me. I frowned and tried to see why there were gasps of admiration in the room. The more I looked at the piece, I couldn't help but find it familiar. 

"I think you were right, you don't need to be here for this. Let's go before you're interrupted again," Mitchell whispered. 

"I'd like to introduce the artist and my favorite art broker to enlighten you more on this masterpiece. Please welcome Ms. Elizabeth Bernard."

I froze and went cold. Liza's blonde hair flowed down to her lower back as she took graceful steps with a radiant smile on her face to the stage. My hand loosened and I slowly looked Mitchell's way.

A/N And the night has just begun...
I hope you liked this chapter. I'm going  to try and upload sooner.

Let me know your thought,
Till then,
Tina

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

8.4K 218 54
"Listen I know we've been flirting and shit but that doesn't mean I like you, okay" I cross my arms again and slightly smirk. He smirks down at me an...
20.5M 346K 42
#1 Teen Fiction | #1 Young Adult | #1 Romance "We all need someone to drive us mad." - The Wombats. He stared arrogantly down at me, a smirk plaste...
703 44 20
"Give me one valid reason as to why I should sign this?" He said leaning back on his chair, folding his arms against his chest. "Umm...you'd get a y...
936K 27.6K 38
Nov, 09, 2020 : #1 in romance May, 14, 2021 : #1in respect May, 14, 2021 : #4 in lovestory "Don't try and act all nice to me. I know girls like you...