Forced Paths

By MarsForce

In an alternative universe of ninja and swordsmen the clans are trying to perceive their existence and grow t... More

The desicion
The ceremony
The arrival
Uchiha clan
Match
The lie in the truth
The Gift
Progress
Opening
Fireworks
Blaze
Care
Unforseen
Untypical
Belief/Disbelief
Advance
Crack
Past
Meeting
Treason
A brothers' affair
Settlement
Old story
Cryptic
Scar
Return
First step
Patch
Ambivalence
Frisson
First Hit
Promise
Leader
Soldier
A hand to protect
Home
Root
Living

Truce

648 47 16
By MarsForce

They hadn't spoken since that night. He had barely seen her for the past two weeks. Even if the time he spent at the house was little, she was always there on the couch reading her book when he returned. At first he thought, she was ashamed about how rudely she behaved that night. But one morning his mother visited him so he could give her a gift. It was a luxurious kimono, she could wear at the wedding next week she explained. When he asked why she doesn't give it herself, Mikoto just smiled. A husband must spoil his wife.
He sighed but as he returned, Sasuke thought it had already been enough days of her drowning in guilt. He left the dress packed in a present box along with a note at the table as he often left her the books she requested. The next night she was hidden in her room like she did for the last weeks. The box on the table caught his attention. It seemed it hadn't been opened. When he move closer to it he saw the note he had left beside it. Maybe she had been sick and stayed in bed all day. He should wait her in the morning to ask what medication he should bring. As his eyes wonder upon the note, he realised it wasn't his writing that filled the white paper. He took it in his hands only to read a reply. I have enough dresses.
He crumbled the paper inside his fist. His blood boiled thinking how she rejected the gift that his mother had carefully picked. His steps were followed by a crippling sound on the wood as he reached her door and knocked. He didn't care if she was sleeping. He knocked harder with his fist barging on the door. She opened as he was already ready to go in, not caring for the privacy he should show.
She stand in front of the door, wearing a pale purple nightgown but her eyes didn't seem drowsy. She was still awake.
"Is something wrong?" She asked genuinely in response of his loud behaviour.
"What is this?" He showed the bundle in his hand.
"A paper I presume."
It was late when he understood she wasn't feeling ashamed, but angry. In what dare was she the one feeling angry.
"You will wear the dress I brought you."
He commanded. He was done playing with this woman. She had caused enough trouble.
"Is that all? Now leave my room."
He scoffed.
"Nothing here is yours."
She bypassed him and walked inside the house. He stand there until he heard the familiar sound of the front door opening and close.
When he enter the large space, she was gone.
She probably sat outside to show him her distaste.
The bath he took calmed his nerves. When he was clean enough to leave he observed that his wife was still gone. He opened the door and she wasn't there. He grabbed the handle so hard, he could break it. He thought of leaving as he originally planned but then if anything happened, the whole clan would know he could not even discipline his wife. His father would know what a failure he was.
He sat on the couch she usually occupied and waited. By now he would have been in the house with the cinnamon smell from the candles lighted to calm the atmosphere. She would be half dressed waiting. When he would arrive, her green eyes would sparkle.
I've been waiting. She would say with her low voice and turn to face the man. She would undress him with the light hands that held no marks as his face would not change. When they became one and her voice raised, he felt wanted. It was that single part of the day when he met one of his lovers that he didn't feel like his brother's shadow.
They didn't demand much, they knew they didn't held the status to do so. They were special because he had laid his eyes on them. If it weren't for him, they were nobody.
One, the girl he was meeting today, wanted him from the moment her parents brought her into this land. They were part of a small clan, not worth to even mention and after the long conflicts, they decided it was better to relocate on the grounds of his clan as they had heard others did so.
It was one of his brother's idea. He was still too young but father had seen in the boy great potential. He had proposed to let individuals stay in the outskirts of their grounds. They would be protected and feel the gratitude to give back. His father raised with pride. He had a son that looked into the future. Tsunade's reign would be over in one way or another and they should be prepared for the day this would come. That night, Itachi told his almost sleeping self, that he lied to father. His goal was to stop the conflicts and the interactions with others would be the start. Sasuke didn't understand that day until years later that his brother was a traitor to his blood.
His thought quickly swifted back at her. The woman with the pink hair. She was always cute and blushing on the sight of him. But Sasuke found her irritating. It was his boyish mind that could not understand why it was important for a woman to take care of herself. It was until he grew and her hands were rough from the work that he decided, he didn't like the feel on his skin. He forbid her to work on rough jobs, that destroyed her feminine and she quickly agreed to it. She was always eager to please him. He help her to move on the medical field and she adjusted to the job. She liked it when she looked nice, when the men laid their eyes on her. She was skinny, her bubblegum hair made her stand out, her outfit that showed more of her flawless skin. She was as different from an Uchiha as she could be. He liked that.
He liked how she was jealous when other women looked at him. He liked how she made him feel wanted.
And instead of been there, leaving the stress of the day behind, he was here waiting for a person that meant nothing to him. Only his family could make him wait. It was only his parent's right to defy him.
He wrapped his hands in his chest and stared at the door. He wasn't a patient man.
After two hours, he saw the doorknob turn and her entering at last. A surprise painted at her features as she realised he was still there.
"Where were you?"
He was angry. If she was a man, she would feel his wrath.
"Outside." She answered and began to walk inside.
"Wearing this? What if someone saw you?"
He got up. He didn't want to associate himself more with her but she made it impossible.
"Tell them I'm crazy."
He grabbed her arm.
"Do you plan to humiliate me more?"
"Am I the one doing that?"
She looked at his hand on her.
"Are you going to sent another letter to my father or sending your own to reform my behaviour?"
He looked at her puzzled.
"That night I felt awful. I made your mother cry in my ignorance. I was angry at you for not telling me that your brother is dead. I'm okay for us not to speak but things like that, I should know." She stopped to look at him. "But then I thought, I should apologise too. If I lost Hanabi... I don't know if I could speak of it."
Her eyes lost in the sight of her sister.
"I was going to wait for you to return. But you were faster. Your father came to scold me on my behaviour."
Sasuke's eyes widen on her words.
"It's fine. I'm used to it." She quickly added. "He told me how I was failing the family and the clan, how bad I looked beside all of you and if I ever mention your brother again, discipline would come. I apologised for the last part. Then last week a letter came from my father. He said my husband is disappointed in how I turn out to be and if I don't behave accordingly, there is another one waiting back home to replace me." She looked at him seriously. "This would never happen. So to answer your previous question more properly, I was out thinking." She removed his hand off her.
"So if you want me to wear the dress, I will wear it. If you command me to stay at this house and never leave again, I will do it. If my voice is never to be heard, I will stay mute. Just please... Don't contact father again."
"My mother bought it." He said as he turned.
"Oh."
"If you don't want it, leave it. I don't care."
He felt like a child, whose parents needed to fix the mess he had created. His brother would never be in that position. He always knew what to say.
"No, it's fine." She lowered her voice. "I'm sorry for my behaviour."
"I don't let others clean after me." He said with his back turned. "I would never contact your father. You are my problem."
She scoffed.
"As you are mine."
When he returned she had raised her hand.
"Truce?"
He took it reluctantly as he observed the roughness that was out of place on such small hands.
They walked into the corridor as it was already too late. It was the first time they would go to sleep at the same time.
She stopped before entering her room.
"I'm sorry I ruined your night."
"Hn."

____

They went back to their usual ways which was refreshing. Until the day before their trip came. His father let him know that he would accompany him upon his return from work that would be earlier than usual. His mother insisted that Hinata should wear all the three kimonos she has bought for her on the meantime to decide what is better. Sasuke drop his face but the man said it was right. The Hyugas were known for their formality and their snobbish ways. Always coming with clothes more luxurious than a fighter should wear. She was now an Uchiha. Everyone should she how better she was now that she were theirs. It felt wrong to speak of her as she was an object that came to their possession but he agreed nevertheless.
When he returned and the door closed behind his mother, he heard something dragging on the wooden floor. A moment later the blue haired woman rushed into the living room.
"You're home early." She was sweaty, wearing a long white robe that came below her knees.
She saw behind him and realised they weren't alone.
"Welcome." She bowed. "I didn't know you would come. I would have prepared something."
"We are fine with whatever you have made for Sasuke." His father spoke and Hinata turned her eyes on him for help. He had failed his parents once more. He knew that Hinata had nothing prepared. She stopped cooking at some point in her first days in here as he was never home and he never ate.
"She has nothing prepared." Sasuke spoke.
"And what is she doing all day?"
"Don't worry dear."
His parents spoke at the same time.
"She was told to be prepare for our upcoming journey. It's more important than dinner."
Fugaku looked proud for the voice that echoed the room. He nodded and sat as if this was his house showing the chairs in front of him.
"I want two things for tomorrow. First to show them that our clan is stronger than ever. It is rumoured that Tsunade Senju is invited in the wedding. Watch her closely. Second, what happened that led to the union and what is there to gain."
Sasuke nodded. He knew the man pushed himself to seem strong that his son would accomplish all of the tasks that were asked. Yet he could see that in the corner of his mind there was a thought deep buried. Itachi would do more than he was asked.
"Okay. Enough with this. Let's get you prepared." His mother spoke cheerfully dragging Hinata along.
He sat and show all the beautiful dresses his mother had picked. The silk that screamed of its cost, the different variations of their traditional wear. All seemed awful on her. She could see it too, but she chose to smile on Mikoto's excitement. Maybe it was her body that didn't let the clothes look nice on her. It was ironic how the rest of her clan looked aristocratic in all their appearances.
His mother chose the one she liked more. It was time for them to go.
"We have to prepare for our trip."
Mikoto lost her cheerfulness.
"Okay Sasuke. Come by the house when you have time." She touched his cheek gently before they said their goodnights.
Hinata eyed the exchange and for a moment her lips parted only to be closed again when he returned her gaze.
"What do you think?" She said in a lighter tone, changing the direction of her gaze.
He looked at the vibrant red kimono, with different sets of flowers placed on it.
"You look awful."
Maybe his mistress would look nice on that.
The next day a girl came to help his wife prepare but she was quickly dismissed.
He heard a knock on his door and when he opened, she had her eyes on the floor.
"Can you help me?" She showed two strings of fabric on her hands.
He laughed internally of how shy she became upon certain things.
He took the strings out of her hands as he moved on her back. She took a breath when he pulled the fabric with more force than what she anticipated, causing her to take a step back in his direction. It was the closer they been since the day of the wedding. He sensed a scent coming from her exposed neck. She smelled like spring.
"Thank you." She bowed when he finished.
He took a look at her and realised why she sent the girl away. His stubborn woman had chose to wear a different outfit. It was a midnight black kimono with purple flowers that matched her hair. She had made a side braid which she decorated with little lavenders. She looked nic... Plain. She looked plain.
"I'm sorry. I just didn't feel like myself in..."
"I don't care either way. Let's go."

____

They began before dawn. This time the trip felt easier. He was used to the closed environment and her presence. She sat across him as the last time but she opened the curtains that remained closed for the entire previous journey.
"Do you like to travel on cart?"
She jumped at his sudden question.
"I prefer the horse but certain appearances dictates otherwise." He smirked, thinking how the Hyuga leader would feel if they had come to take his daughter on horse.
"I haven't travel before so I don't know."
"I though so. How the Hyuga princess would travel on horse?"
She smiled.
"You misunderstood me. I have never left the clan before...our wedding."
She turned her gaze outside.
"I like how the scenery is changing as we move."
He observed how the scenery was changing on her pale eyes. Maybe he shouldn't leave her alone inside the house all day.

____

When they arrived the celebration had already began. They had decorated an exterior large garden with flowers. Two guards stopped them at the entrance asking for their names and invitation.
She almost slipped when she spoke her name. He could not blame her. He didn't feel like she was an Uchiha either. He saw a lot of familiar faces. Some of them, he seen on battle, some on meetings and a few in both. He turned on her and she saw the people in amazement. They were all potential enemies of course but yet the woman on his side had eyes full of sparkles.
"I'd recognise that face among millions."
A female voice said behind him before she jumped at his neck.
"Karin."
"I'm glad you still remember me." She laughed, ignoring completely the other woman. Sasuke was here to present his succeful marriage to the world. He moved Karin out of him.
"This is my wife, Hinata." He glared and the red haired shrunk.
"Nice to meet you Karin-san."
Karin nodded and turned again on him.
"I was hurt when I learned about your marriage. You didn't invite me on the happy occasion." She smirked.
"Relatives only."
"And my cousin was hurt too." She laughed at the irritation on his face. "He would drive me crazy when I get back and tell him I saw you here. Well I catch up to you later."
She waved and left to speak with some other people that were important enough.
"Is she a friend of yours?"
"You could say that. You know how our clan is on friendly terms with the Uzumaki." She nodded her head in agreement. It surpised him how well informed she was.
"Well Karin was the reason that started. Me and my brother had found her wondering in the woods. She couldn't speak for a while, so we didn't know what happened. She stayed with us for a while until we realised she had Uzumaki blood. Her parents stayed elsewhere and decided to return to their roots when Kushina Uzumaki called for her blood to join her and her husband. They were attacked on the road and Karin was the only one that survived. My brother sent a letter to her relatives behind my father's back. When they arrived, they were so grateful for keeping her safe that a bond was created. It was never official alliance but we never attacked each other. Karin always thought I was her saviour since I carried her to my back and stuck with me ever since."
She didn't answer so he turned to see if she was listening. Her eyes were glued on him as if he was telling a fascinating story.
Slowly the place was full and they were called to witness the ceremony.
"I hope it's a happy wedding."
She said as she moved to the front.

____

Hinata stepped on her toes so she could see the man. She heard a cough from her side and knew it was her husband correcting her behaviour. She wondered if there were ever be a moment when someone isn't displeased with her in a way. When she married and her husband made it clear he wasn't interested in her, she relaxed. She didn't have to worry about her father in law who seemed to hate her from the moment he laid his eyes on her. She had her father at home and she switched with another in here. She could handle it. She was used to it. But when she received a letter from home, she was frustrated in the unfairness. Her father should stopped be disappointed in her, he should stop be anything to her, the moment he gave her away. When the threat of Hanabi replacing her, even in this became real, she decided she would behave. Yet it was the first time she got to travel. Last time she didn't enjoy any of it. She could see other people and places. She could hide among the crowd to observe since for once she wasn't the point of interest. She had seen how the other guests carefully noticed them when they arrived. But now all eyes were on the couple. A moment that was all she was asking. He coughed again but it didn't matter. She had seen them. The man was extremely tall and big. His brown hair was long and fury and he chose to wear a long red top with black pants underneath. He was more ready for battle than marriage. Then the woman showed up. She was the most beautiful woman Hinata had ever seen. She wasn't a warrior as she already knew and when her eyes casted on her she understood why. She was outside of this world. Her blonde, almost white her were left loose and reached almost above her knees. Her skin sparkles under the sun. She looked at the crowded with a smile that matched her beauty, showing them a glance of her light blue eyes, the colour of the morning sky.She wore a white kimono, with golden strings interwined with each other as she walked closer to the man that was going to be her husband. Whispers were heard as the couple turned their back to the people.
She could understand them. She was a fairy and he...Well he wasn't. She felt sorry for the girl as she obliviously was forced into this marriage with the man that looked scary enough to crash her under his palm.
She quickly regret her thoughts when the ceremony ended. He was so kind and sweet, thanking shyly everyone that came to pay their respects. His voice was rough yet it was covered by the sencirety of his words. He was the one that she felt sorry at the end. As the ceremony ended the fairy woman completely ignored his presence. She laughed with the men that swarmed at her, making compliments about her beauty. As she drank her drink she realised how used she was to talking to people. She never moved her gaze elsewhere and talked with confidence as she walked from one group to another.
Her stomach aches since she hadn't eaten all day but she knew how to behave in this meetings. Despite what the Uchihas thought, she was raised property to stand her place in formal occasions.
"Excuse me." Her husband talked before he got up and walked away. It was the same either he was here or not. They were in better terms as she was seeing it but not familiar, never familiar. It was expected of course, as neither of them picked the other on their own free will. They were stuck together. She sat on the table as the crowd became more lively. The hosts offered a good amount of alcohol and food to please their guests. It was a wonder how these men fought for years only to drink together in a situation as this.
She decided to take a bite. Noone was paying her any attention and she was left alone in the large table. As she started to chew a hand took the bottle of sake and pour it in a glass.
"Great sake, I'll give them that."
She quickly swallowed and turned to the person that occupied the sit next to her.
"Hyuga." She said. "The older or the younger?"
"Uchiha." Hinata corrected.
"The older." The woman laughed as she drank two shots.
"I saw your cousin a while ago. More bitter than before."
She hoped for Hanabi to be here. It was almost two months since she saw her but father would not let Hanabi come. Not yet. Not before he found out more about this marriage that shook him.
"Do you know who I am child?"
Hinata nodded. She knew from the moment she looked at the woman. Blonde hair, caught in two ponytails on the back of her head. Tall and athletic. A distinct green cape on her back.
"Good."
She looked at the room.
"Where is your husband? I would like to meet him since I wasn't invited to your wedding."
"He.. he is talking to some of the guests."
"You are a bad liar."
Hinata blushed on the comment.
"Oh I said it as a good thing, no need to feel emparrased." 
"So how is married life? I never experienced the thing."
"Good." Hinata swallowed to make the word come out.
"Not so pleased." Tsunade added.
She felt her heart race. Tsunade Senju was the woman she aspired to be a while back. Before her wedding and her last name became something else.
"How can anyone be pleased when he is forced into anything." She bit her lips.
"I like you Hinata." The woman smiled. "Except few trusted people, rarely anyone tells me the truth. I know your father hates me but he welcomed me into his house to form a truce."
Hinata looked at her hands.
"Don't worry. You don't have to say anything. All of them here hate me. Even I'm the reason they are here celebrating a wedding instead of spoiling their blood on the dirt."
"But..you could do more." Hinata added between her teeth.
"Like stop your wedding?" She laughed. "I could. But if I push them too hard they will explode. And I don't want that Hinata-san. I want to save their sorry asses."
She patted the girls head. Tsunade's cheeks had a slight pink painted on them.
"I'm sorry about your situation. But you see it's crucial for when I'm gone."
Hinata raised her brows in question.
"Your kids would have the blood of both clans. As well as theirs." She pointed to the couple." It would more difficult to turn them against their own blood. And slowly under this fragile peace, maybe they would interact with each other. I'm sorry about your sacrifice."
Hinata had a saddeness in her heart, hearing the other woman's words.
"It's not just me." She eyed the blonde.
"Oh. Them. They are in a completely different situation than yours."
A smirk formed on her painted lips.
"They are giving a performance right now and a good one if I may add. Have you noticed that the bride hadn't drink at anything at all? And when she laughs with other men, for a moment she looks back for a hidden smile from her husband. They are in love."
She laughed at Hinata's surprise.
"They were from the moment they met. And in their passion they made a mistake." Tsunade touched her belly. "Of course their parents didn't know. But they needed to move fast. Do you see that man over there?" Tsunade pointed a black haired man that standed behind the groom. "He is Akimichi's best friend. And the most interesting man in here. He formed the plan, they executed."
"I've been looking everywhere for you." A man spoke from behind.
"Have you been drinking?" A man with long black hair and a scary face was standing behind them. He glare at Hinata once before he said something in the other woman's ear.
"Hinata I'm afraid I have to go. I hope we meet again soon."
Stop it Orochi. I drank one glass. One.
Hinata heard as the two people moved further away.
It was time to look for her husband. She got up and search for him in the crowd. They were too many and she didn't know who to ask. As she blended, she thought if maybe he wasn't feeling well. She walked in the direction of the house and she found him. He was exiting the back with the red haired woman behind him, fixing her dress.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

29.2K 885 8
~Complete~ ties in with my itachi story, what could have been. The Uchiha Clan and Hyuga Clan come to an agreement that will change the life of Sasuk...
51.8K 1.1K 35
BOOK 1 Tears. This book is not based on the anime, it's a fan fiction Hinata Hyuga is married to Naruto Uzumaki, the hokage of the leaf. Sasuke Uch...
286K 8.6K 36
What happens when two heirs of two noble clans clash? This story is a romantic journey between Aya Hyuga, and Itachi Uchiha.
213K 7.2K 19
Its a sasuhina fanfic. If you don't like the ship or feel offended by it then please kindly leave. But if you are a hardcore sasuhina fan then this i...