Not Just A Love Story

By _angelawrites

Lauren Campbell is a sweet, simple girl with a bubbly personality. She tries to accept her imperfections and... More

Author's note
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
EPILOGUE
Bonus chapter

Chapter 13

6.1K 153 14
By _angelawrites

Ethan

I took a glance at my watch to see it is almost seven.

I was dressed in a black tuxedo, waiting for Lauren to show up as we are already late for the party.

The party is held by one of my business partners and he is one of my important shareholders, so I can't avoid the party.

Moreover, Mr Jordan wanted me to come with my wife.

It's a private party with only a few important business people, so there will be no media, which is somewhat a relief.

I checked my watch again and saw that she has been getting ready for almost an hour now.

When I heard the door click, I looked up to see Lauren coming out slowly.

My eyes widened visibly when I saw her in that fitted maroon cocktail dress that reached her mid-thigh. It was looking elegant on her making her look magnificent.

I blinked my eyes coming out from her thoughts when she snapped her fingers in front of me.

Her scent of fresh strawberries along with lavenders filled my nose.

"How do I look?" she asked me showing her dress.

Beautiful.

I took a step near her and moved closer to her and blood rushed to her face when she saw me approaching.

"You look.." I whispered breathing her scent and she gulped.

'Gorgeous' that's what I wanted to say but I obviously didn't.

"Awful." That was a lie. I said and moved back to see her facial expression.

She gritted her teeth and glared at me.

"You look horrible too." She retorted and stormed out.

I smirked at her leaving form but followed her.

I got into the driver's seat and she sat in the passenger seat.

I started the car and soon we are on our way to the party.

I couldn't help but take glances at her on the way when she is looking outside.

The colour of the dress appreciated her well.

When we finally reached, I got down and opened the door for her and we both made our way towards the party hall.

"Mr. Kingston. You are here." Mr. Jordan and his wife came to greet us.

"Mr. and Mrs. Jordan," I said shaking their hands.

"This is my wife, Lauren." I said and Lauren gave them a smile shaking their hands.

"Nice to meet you," Lauren said and they both greeted her as well.

We all entered the party hall and Mrs. Jordan wasted no time taking Lauren along with her.

Lauren turned towards me and she looked slightly pale might be due to nervousness.

I wanted to assure her but Mrs. Jordan dragged her already to the other ladies.

"Mr. Kingston." Someone called me from behind and I turned back to see Mr. Romano.

Mr Romano. Lauren once accidentally spilt coffee on him when he came to our office.

"Mr. Romano." I greeted him back.

"What is that bitch doing here? I thought you would fire her by now." He said looking mad addressing Lauren.

Calling Lauren a bitch made me somewhat mad.

"Mr. Romano, I hope you do know that the person you are talking to is not only my assistant but also my wife. That day, I didn't say anything to you because it was her mistake. I hope you understand what I mean." I clenched my jaw.

He nervously chuckled looking at my expression.

He muttered a weak 'of course' before scramming off.

I took a champagne glass from a waiter and soon fell into business conversations.

***

It's been quite some time since Lauren left.

I looked around and I found her with a group of other women who are all laughing.

Lauren stood there listening to them and just smiling at them occasionally.

She must be bored to death.

She excused herself and walked away somewhere inside.

"You can stop staring at your wife all the time, Ethan." I heard a familiar voice from behind.

I turned around and saw Ryan.

I was waiting for him since forever.

As he was one of the shareholders of Mr. Jordan's company, he too has to attend the party.

I help him with business-related dealings because on his own, he wouldn't survive in this world.

He is too good for this business world.

"I wasn't staring." I rolled my eyes and took another glass of my drink.

"Sure." He mocked me.

"You do know that Christian will also show up tonight, right?" He asked me when we moved away from the crowd and both are alone.

Chris...

"I hope not," I said taking a sip of my drink.

"Too bad. I'm already here, Ethan." I heard a voice from the side and turned towards it.

It is Christian.

Seeing him will always remind me of how we were once and how much everything has changed now.

He was once my best friend.

We had so many similarities and we three instantly clicked.

"Christian, How are you?" Ryan said standing in front of him.

"Stop acting as if you care for me or anything." He scoffed at Ryan.

"I do Chris and you always knew that," Ryan gave him a small smile.

In return, Chris just scoffed and gave us a bitter chuckle.

"He doesn't deserve it, Ryan. Stop caring for him." I said glaring at Chris.

He could never appreciate the people in his life.

And we could never go back like before after what he did to me.

"Ethan, stop it," Ryan warned me.

"It's fine, Ryan. Ethan could do nothing more rather than throw shade at me." He said making me clench my jaw.

"Chris, stop it. man." Ryan said trying to stop us both.

"Where is you PA aka Wife. Did she leave you already? poor girl. I can imagine how horrible it must be for her to live with a person like you." Chris continued.

I scoffed at him and he just gave me a bitter chuckle.

"I'm just waiting for the day media will unfold your wedding secret and how everyone will react to that," he said making me look at him.

"What are you talking about? There is no secret at all." I masked my expression with a smirk.

"Remember Ethan, I know you just the way Ryan knows you." he said looking at us both before walking away.

"Can't you two behave like adults and settle everything once and for all." Ryan spoke pouring his drink back into his mouth.

I ignored his statement and he turned me towards him.

"Remember he was once our friend. You can't ignore him forever no matter what. You have to eventually come around and talk to him." he said looking mad.

"Don't even dream of it." I said looking away.

"Ethan, I know what happened between you two in the past. But that was in the past. You need to move on. You can't carry everything that happened in your life forever. It will just ruin your present peace." He spoke softly.

Forgiving someone who hurt your heart will take time, to heal from that raw wound.

I know he was right.

But it has always been like this with me, I can't forgive people easily.

"From which movie did you copy these lines?" I asked him lightening the mood.

To which he just smiled and shrugged his shoulders.

"Please, I don't need to copy. What can I say, you bring out the writer inside me sometimes." He rolled his eyes at me and I just smiled at him.

Ryan always stood beside me.

He was the constant in my life.

"Where is your date?" I asked him to which he just sighed.

"Well, I don't have one tonight."

"Why?" I asked him.

"I just wanted to come alone."

I nodded at him.

"You didn't even bring any guards with you?" I asked him as he always has at least one security man behind him.

"I told SpongeBob to loosen up a bit and enjoy the party. and he didn't waste a second to leave me alone and go enjoy." He shook his head smiling.

"Why do you call him that?" I frowned at him.

"SpongeBob? You know his last name was something I didn't want to call. So, I just named him that and did that only after he was okay with it." he spoke.

"Why? what was his last name?" I asked him raising my eyebrows and he was about to say but his phone rang.

"I'll say that to you later. I have to take this call." he said and moved away.

What could be his last name?

***

I was looking for Lauren when suddenly I heard her laugh.

I turned towards the sound to see her standing with a man. Somewhat handsome if I must say.

Even he was laughing with her.

Who is he?

And why are they laughing?

She never laughed that way with me before.

Well, you never made her laugh. My subconscious mocked me.

I made my way towards the and when I was near them her smile dropped.

"Ethan, this is Nick, and Nick, this is Ethan." she introduces us and he gave me his hand.

"Her husband." I added shaking his hand firmly and his face morphed into a surprise.

"Oh. I didn't know that." he chuckled somewhat nervous.

"Well, now you know." I retorted.

He looked at us both before walking away not even looking at Lauren twice again.

I smirked feeling somewhat proud of my actions.

Wait-

But why did I do that?

Why did I get mad when I saw some other man talking to her?

it's not like I own her or anything.

I don't know.

"Why did you do that?" she asked giving me a dirty look

"What did I do?" I feigned innocence.

"You scared him." she squealed at me.

"I'm not a ghost." I rolled my eyes at her

She just rolled her eyes at me and was about to walk away but I stopped her.

I can't keep looking for you all the time." I said not wanting her to crash into another man again.

"I'm not a child." she recoiled.

"I know. Now don't move around here and there all the time and-" I looked around to keep her busy with something and saw a waiter passing through with drinks.

I took a glass from his and gave it to her and said "sit here and drink."

She stared at me with a blank expression but eventually accepted the drink.

When my phone chimed, I looked down to see it is Mr. Valentino. He looks after our company's branch in Italy.

I looked at her for a second and walked away to accept the call.

***

I didn't realize that it's been quite some time talking with Valentino until I hung up the phone.

I turned around and Lauren was nowhere to be seen.

Did she really go somewhere again?

Where did she go?

I took my phone out to call Lauren when someone suddenly jumped in front of me out of nowhere.

I took a clear glance and it was Lauren.

Lauren?

Why is she grinning at me for no reason?

Like a madwoman, I might add.

And let me tell that grin is super creepy.

"Hands up. I arrest you for scaring away my new friend." She said shaping her hand like a gun.

Okay.

What?

"Surrender." She slurred.

She is slurring.

When I was still looking at her suspicious, she came closer to me with narrowed eyes.

When she was feet apart, she stopped and narrowed her eyes at me.

"Are you drunk?" I asked her and she just giggled in response.

"No." she said but nodded her head saying 'yes'

Wow, she is so drunk.

When I said her to drink, I didn't expect her to be this drunk.

She can't even walk straight.

"How many drinks did you have?" I asked her placing my hand on her back to make her stand still.

she plucked her lips narrowing her eyebrows and counted her fingers.

'14." she told me lifting her six fingers.

"But then again, I lost count after that," she said pouting and sighing disappointedly.

Okay.

She literally drank more than she could tolerate.

I facepalmed myself inwardly.

"Ok. We're going back to the penthouse. You are drunk." I said trying to take her hand but she opposed it.

"Nooo." She slurred.

"Lauren, stop acting like a child," I said trying to take her hand again.

"Mr. Jordan." She said looking behind me and I turned to see no one.

No one?

I turned back and Lauren already left.

This woman.

Did she just fool me?

And how is she so fast? She vanished in a second.

I hope she doesn't embarrass me.

I huffed and looked around.

***

"Here is your annoying wife," Ryan said giving me removing his arms around Lauren and giving me her.

"What happened?" I asked looking at his expression.

He looked mildly annoyed.

Do you know what she just said to me before?" he asked and I shook my head.

"She said my movies are more cringe than all Disney princess romantic. Can you believe it? she said that to my action movies." He exclaimed looking at her.

"And not only that she challenged SpongeBob that she could defeat him in a wrestling match in a minute. I don't know what she smoked." He shook his head staring at her this time with amusement.

I shook my head and looked down to see her snuggling closer to my neck mumbling something.

She abruptly raised her head from my shoulder and turned towards Ryan.

"Who are you?" she asked squinting one eye and looking at him suspiciously.

Shaking his head, he ignored her looking so done with her.

"Did you feel bad?" she asked him with a worried expression before her lips morphed into a giggle "I was just kidding. Of course, I know you, Ryan." She gave Ryan a big smile and he looked at her with an amused expression.

"Wait do you both know how to do the fish dance?" she asked looking at us both excited.

I exhaled loudly feeling tired of her antics.

"Let me show you." she said.

She joined her hands making a fish wing shape and puckered her lips making a fish pout.

She moved her winged hands mimicking a fish's swim while moving her head up and down with a pout.

Is she for real right now?

"I don't think I can do this anymore Ryan. See you later." I said and looked down to see her still doing that weird fish dance.

I turned towards Ryan to see him mimicking Lauren's fish dance.

"Not you too." I scolded him.

I took her hand to walk away but she resisted.

"Noo. I want to stay..." she slurred shaking her head.

I glared at her but she just looked behind me.

"Mr. Jordan." She said smiling looking behind me.

Not again.

I will not be fooled again by her antics.

She is just playing cards to escape from me.

"Mr. Kingston?" I heard his words and turned.

Oh, he is really here.

"Mr. Jordan, it is a very nice party, but we have to leave," I said and gripped her hand hard when she resisted removing her hand from mine.

His eyes went towards our adjoined hand and he looked suspicious at our intertwined hands.

To not make it any further complicated, I left her hand hoping Ryan will not let her escape.

I chuckled at him nervously and bided him farewell.

As soon as he left I turned around and saw no one.

Where did she go? Again.

She was just here a second before.

I swear she turns into a flash when she drinks.

Swearing to myself, I looked around for her.

This is going to be a long night.

Author's notes

Hey Hi,

Thanks a lot for reading this book.

Please, vote comment and share.

I just realized that I got 200 reads and I know they are not huge figures but I still appreciate it.

Thanks a lot for taking time and reading my book. 

Please do vote at least sometimes(*smiles*)

Bye.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.6K 159 9
Count to three. Do not kill your boss. And do not fall in love with him. That's a good start, especially when you work for New York's most eligible b...
788K 24.3K 41
Thera Mallay, she was a self-made billionaire, having chains of restaurants across the globe and many other businesses. Her company was all she had...
1.7M 51K 55
Highest ranking Millionaires No 6 (03-3-19) Deal No 3 (23-3-19) Feisty No 13 (05-6-19) ---------------------------------------------------------- ...
101 0 8
[ON HOLD] Amelia Claire, an independent soul, left her parent's home in Florida for New York, driven by the singular goal of securing a well-paying j...