Spin The Bottle

De Ebby_writes

It all started with a kiss during the game of spin the bottle. * When Stephanie Valentine - a wallflower who... Mai multe

Synopsis
01 | Senior Year
02 | It's Just a Party
03 | The Party
04 | Spin the Bottle
05 | Hair Cut
06 | Hazel
07 | Poison Ivy
08 | Emily
09 | What Party?
10 | Distraction
11 | It's Her
12 | Cute Dog
13 | Soon-to-be Boyfriend
14 | A Date?
15 | Those Bitches
16 | Brody!
17 | Detention
18 | Twenty Questions
19 | Frozen
20 | Babysitting
21 | I Like Her
22 | Shrek
23 | Debbie Downers
24 | Threat
25 | Dump Her Ass
26 | Acting Strange
27 | Old Lady
28 | La Vida Loca
29 | First Time?
30 | Truth or Dare
31 | Makeover
32 | Psychotic Ex
33 | The Deal
34 | Suspended
35 | Lie
36 | Truth
37 | I Love You
38 | Apologies
39 | She's Pretty
40 | Feelings
41 | Tell Her
42 | I Like You
43 | We're Dating
44 | Out of Her Head
45 | I Miss Him
46 | Master of Kisses
Not an Update
47 | Anxious
48 | Happy Birthday
49 | Boyfriend?
50 | Yes
51 | Barbie Girl

52 | Promise

6.1K 214 45
De Ebby_writes

Chapter Fifty Two: Promise.

As each minute passes by, it seems as if one more person is joining the party.
It is easy for Stephanie to find Chris. She finds him in the living room, surrounded by his teammates and friends. She giggles to herself, "That's my boyfriend."

As she watches proudly, three girls join the group and Steph's smile turns into a frown. She watches the scene for about a minute and all she could see was the girls obviously flirting with the guys - Chris especially.

Steph grits her teeth and begin to stomp her way over to them. She imagines herself as a giant with steam coming out of her ears on the way to crush those girls. Once there, she clears her throat loudly from behind the girls. They all divert their attention to her.

"Hazel." Chris wiggles his eyebrows at her.

That seems to annoy her even more. She pushes the girls aside with her hips, surprising Chris.

She moves closer to him and touches his cheek. "Are you okay, babe?"

"Of course I am. I should be asking you that." He notices her flushed cheeks and the slight slur in her speech. "Hazel? Did you drink?"

She doesn't answer him. His teammates and the girls continue to stare in confusion.

Steph interlocks her fingers with Chris's own as she glares daggers at the girls.

"This guy that you girls are shamelessly trying to flirt with is my 'boyfriend.' l'd really appreciate if you'd look for another guy to flirt with 'cause the guy is taken."

They all stare in disbelief. It's obvious they don't believe her.

"I'm his girlfriend, believe it or not. He's off the market so stop eyeing him with your lustful eyes." She raises their interlocked fingers to prove a point.

Chris is shocked. He could never have imagined her doing something like this.

"She looks drunk. She's talking gibberish." One of the girls whispers loud enough for them to hear.

They look at Chris expectantly, waiting for him to confirm or deny the claim.

"She is indeed my girlfriend. In fact, she has me wrapped around her little finger." Chris says, smiling. "Her name is Stephanie."

"See, I told you."

They all just stare, too stunned to speak. Brooke who has been watching the scene in amusement decides to intervene.

"Okay, people. They're really dating. Yes, it's a big deal. Now, move along."

Brooke has to give them death glares before they decided to mind their business.

"Hey Brooke."

"I see you've met this version of Steph."

"Why is she like this?"

"She's a lightweight. She only took a can of beer and she's like this. Anything with alcohol is definitely not her thing."

"Yeah, she's kinda feisty though. I like it." Chris smiles.

Steph suddenly hits him on his shoulder.
"Ouch!"

She does it again and again.
"Hey. What did I do?"

"You were enjoying it, weren't you?"

"Enjoying what?"

"Being the center of attention. Actually, in this case, the center of flirtation."

Steph folds her arms in front of her and looks away, pouting.

"Of course not, Hazel. I was thinking of you the whole time."

"Really?" Steph turns to face him, now smiling.

"Yes."

"You're lying. I don't believe you." She says, her expression changing again.
Chris tries to convince her that he isn't lying while Brooke silently laughs at the scene in front of her.

"I'm thirsty," Steph announces.

"I'll get water," Brooke volunteers.

"Okay, thanks. We'll be at the gazebo in the backyard.

"Okay."

"Let's go, Hazel."

***

"This is no longer a small gathering," Brooke mutters to herself. She should have known that there's no way that people wouldn't find out about Christopher Hayes' birthday party. She scans the area as she walks, recognising a lot of people from school.

She sights Jason and Piper. Piper sees her too and waves. Brooke walks over to them for a brief greeting. She hasn't seen Piper in a while.

"Hey Brooke," Piper greets.

Brooke smiles. "Hey."

"Where's Steph? I haven't seen her tonight," Piper says.

"She's with Chris. She's kinda drunk," Brooke answers.

"Wow. She keeps surprising me," Jason comments.

"What else did she do?"

"Chris told me. She asked him to be her boyfriend," Jason elaborates.

Brooke and Piper chuckle.
"Yeah, that." Brooke gestures around. "This is no longer a small gathering."

"I know. It's not my fault he's so popular. Word got out," Jason shrugs, defending himself.

"Perks of being popular," Piper chips in.

Brooke nods. "Yeah. Anyway, I have to go. I need to get water for Steph. It was nice seeing you, Piper."

"You too."

Just as she's about to enter the kitchen, she almost bumps into someone. She's about to apologise then she sees it's Cole, her ex.

"Hey," Cole smiles sadly.

Brooke rolls her eyes. Now, that she's standing in front of him, she doesn't feel anything. She's now wondering why she was so sad.

"Hey." Brooke says, feeling awkward.

"How have you been?" Cole asks.

"Great. You?"

"Good. Happy holidays."

"Same to you." Nothing is said for a few seconds. The background music fills the awkward silence until she can't take it anymore.

"I have to go--"

"Wait!" He stops her.

He sighs. "I'm sorry. I'm so sorry for hurting you, Brooke. I didn't mean to."

He does look like he's sorry. But she doesn't say anything so he continues.

"I'm really sorry for breaking your heart. If I could do something to make it up to you, I would."

"Then break up with her and let's get back together." Brooke deadpans.

"What?" Cole's eyes widen. He opens his mouth to say something but no words come out.

"Then don't say what you don't mean. And quit apologizing. Shit happens." Brooke shrugs. "It might take a while but I'd eventually get over you and move on. And please, stop feeling guilty and just be happy."

"Thank you."

In the kitchen, Brooke grabs two bottles of water before leaving. On the way out, she collides with someone, causing the bottles of water to fall to the ground. She almost falls also but she’s caught by someone before she can.

“I’m so sor…” The words get stuck in her throat as she stares at the face of her saviour. All she does is stare for a few seconds. And in these few seconds, she feels like they are in the only one in the room.

“Are you okay?” Her saviour’s voice jolts her out of her reverie. And what a lovely voice it is. She feels butterflies fluttering in her stomach at the sound of his voice.

“Huh… Yes. Yes, I am.” She answers as he steadies her on her feet. Her knees feel like it’s about to turn into jelly.

“Are you sure?”

She finds herself staring again but quickly stops herself. She glances at her hands and notice that she’s no longer holding the bottles. She bends to pick up the bottles but he beats her to it.

“Here.” He says, handing the bottles to her.

“Be still my heart,” Brooke mutters, unconsciously.

“What did you say?”

“Nothing,” Brooke shakes her head as she collects the bottles. “Thanks.”

“You’re welcome.” His smile causes her heart to skip a beat. “Be careful though.”

Brooke nods and watches him walk away. She stands there for a few seconds before leaving. She's left with wondering who he is.

She goes to the backyard and finds them seated on a sofa at the gazebo.

As she moves closer, she hears Steph say, “I want to dance."

“You will. Later.” Chris answers.

“No, I don’t want later. I want now. I want to dance now.” She whines, pouting her lips. Steph opens her mouth to talk again but Chris suddenly kisses her, shutting her up.

Brooke rolls her eyes as she reaches them. She allows them to kiss for a few seconds before clearing her throat. Chris looks up from his seat while Steph just stares at him, shifting her gaze from his lips to his eyes.

“That wasn’t as cool as they make it look on TV.” Steph comments.

This causes him to smirk. “Oh, really?”

"You were totally enjoying it, Steph." Brooke deadpans.

“Oh, my best friend is here.” Steph coos. “What did you bring for me?”

Brooke gives her a bottle of water, “Here.” She gives Chris the other one.

"Thanks."

“I have to go. I have a mission to accomplish.”

Chris nods. He opens Steph’s bottle of water and tells her drink. “Where are you going?”

“I wanna try to get a guy’s number. He just might be the man of my dreams.”

Chris smiles. “Okay, good luck.”

“Thanks.”

***

AN HOUR LATER.

“Do you feel better now? Have you snapped out of it?” Chris asks Steph.

“I think so. I don’t know,” Steph mumbles, blinking.

“Who am I?”

She gives him an incredulous look. “You’re Christopher Gregory Hayes. The guy that attracts girls like moths to a flame.”

“You left out the most important part.”

“What?”

“I’m your boyfriend.”

“Oh really? I seem to have forgotten. Pardon me,” Steph says sarcastically.

“There you are,” Chris laughs, pulling her in for a cuddle. They stay like this in silence for a few minutes.

“Chris? When did you start liking me?” Steph breaks the silence, staring at the light bulb.

“Why are you suddenly asking that?” Chris strokes her hair as he begins to think of the answer to her question.

"I just feel like."

“Well, I don’t really know exactly when I started to like you but I realized it on Halloween when we were at the cinema together.”

“Hmmm…”

“When did you start to like me?”

“I wasn’t one of your fan girls, so I didn’t like you. Even when you started trying to talk to me, it really annoyed me.  I think I started liking you after we had the talk. I think it was precisely about two weeks after your confession.”

“Girls usually fall for me even before I say a word to them but you made me fall for you and still took your time before you started to like me. You’re really one of a kind.”

Steph doesn’t say anything to that.

“Remember how you ditched me for Luke during the winter formal?”

She hits Chris on his chest. “Why did you mention that? I still feel bad whenever I remember it.”

“You shouldn’t feel bad anymore. He went with you to the dance but I got you to be my girlfriend."

Steph groans. “Oh enough already.”

Chris chuckles and just as he’s about to make a retort, someone interrupts them. They didn't even notice that someone had joined them.

“Hey, Chris.” The voice is so mumbled that it could easily be missed. It even sounds like they actually hope, they’re not heard.

Chris is the first to look up and he’s shocked to see Ivy standing there, looking like she wants to crawl into something and hide.

“Huh? It’s poison Ivy,” Steph’s eyebrows furrow as she sizes Ivy up. She directs her question to Chris. “What is she doing here?”

He shrugs and they both look at her, waiting for her to say something. Chris doesn’t exactly know how to feel.

“Uhm…” Ivy, the almighty queen bee seems at loss for words and it makes Stephanie want to burst into a fit of giggles. She wants to blame it on the alcohol still in her body system.

“Chris. I know you probably don’t want to have anything to do with me. And you probably hate that I’m standing in front of you and that I came to your birthday party-”

“You’re rambling,” Steph cuts her off. Yet another surprise.

“Right, sorry. I know it happened more than 2 years ago and that my apology is long overdue, but I still wanted to apologize; for cheating on you and hurting you. I didn’t think it was a big deal because I’ve always been the one to do the dumping. I date someone and when I get tired or bored, I break up with them. That’s the way it has always been for me but recently as you all know, I was dumped for the first time in my life. And it made me realize how much it hurts to get your heart broken.”

“I don’t expect you to forgive me but I wanted to at least say it. I’m really sorry. Stephanie, I’m also sorry for threatening you and attacking you in the bathroom. I guess I was just insecure and knew that I might lose Luke to you. I am so sorry. ” She takes in a deep breath and holds it in as she anxiously waits.

“I forgive you.”

“I understand… Wait, what?”

“You heard me. I forgive you.”

“Why?”

“It’s all in the past. And I know it took a lot of courage for you to apologize. Thank you. And I’m happy with Hazel now.”

“Thank you, really.” Ivy says, filled with gratitude. Chris nudges Steph to say something too.

“I guess I should forgive you too,” Steph says nonchalantly.

“Thank you both so much. This means a lot.”

“You’re welcome.”

“You guys make a great couple, by the way.”

Chris grins, staring at Steph affectionately. “I know, right.”

She stands there for a few seconds as if there’s more to be said but it feels like they’ve even forgotten that she’s still here. So she turns around to leave. The first person she sees a few steps away is Luke, her ex.

To say she’s surprised is an understatement. She didn’t even know he came. She takes a deep breath and walks towards him slowly.
“Luke.”

“Ivy.” She can’t tell if he’s happy to see her or not because he has a blank look on his face.

“What are you doing here?”

Luke raises an eyebrow in question. “Uhm. It’s a party. Aren’t I allowed to be here?”

“Of course y-you are. Uh…” Ivy stutters, surprising Luke. “I… I’m sorry. I just didn’t think I’d see you here. Mostly because of what happened between you guys.”

“Chris and I are cool. There’s no grudge between us. I should even be the one surprised that you’re here, given your history with him.”

Ivy sighs. “I came to apologize to he and Steph. I owed them apologies.”

Luke is silent for a few beats before muttering something. “Yeah, I heard.”

Ivy’s eyes widen. “You did?”

Luke nods.

“How much of it?” Ivy feels a bit mortified that he witnessed it.

“Everything.”

“Uhm…” Ivy runs a hand through her hair and looks everywhere but Luke’s face. “Bye.”

It’s so unlike her and for some reason, Luke thinks she looks cute as she abruptly walks away. He almost smiles because it’s obvious she’s embarrassed that he heard everything. And for some reason, he feels weird. He feels like going after her and he doesn’t know why. She's changing. Maybe, just maybe she wasn’t lying when she said she loved him. But does that change anything? Does it have to?

Luke shakes his head in a bid to send those thoughts away. He heads towards the gazebo. “Hey, lovebirds.”

“You came,” Chris smiles.

“Luke!” Steph cries out in exuberance. “You’re here.”

“Whoa. I’d have come here sooner if I knew Stephanie would be so happy to see me. Look how excited she looks,” Luke says, chuckling.

“Don’t flatter yourself. She’s a little tipsy.” Chris huffs.

“Shut up!”

A laugh escapes from Luke. “Happy birthday, Chris.”

“Thank you. Thanks for coming also.”

“I couldn’t miss it.”

"Did you come with Cole?" Steph asks.

“Yes.”

Steph mentally hopes that Brooke doesn’t run into him.

“I just wanted to wish you a happy birthday. And since, I'm the third wheel here, I'm gonna head back in.”

Steph and Chris chuckle. “Okay. Have a great time.”

“I sure will,” Luke smiles.

“Bye Luke,” Steph yells when he’s a few steps away.

Luke turns around, grinning. “Bye Steph. Don’t miss me too much.”

Chris hisses while she giggles.

“You seemed very excited to see your ex-crush. I still can’t believe you liked him before me.” Chris says in disbelief, folding his hands.

“Believe it, boo. I’ve always thought he was cool and I thought you were trying to get into my pants.”

“I wasn’t. And now that we’re dating, there’s no rush. Whenever you’re ready, Hazel. I’ll wait.”

Steph stares at him, smirking. “Wow. You must really really like me.”

“I do,” he affirms with all seriousness.
Steph pulls him in for a kiss, feeling like the luckiest girl in the world.

“Let’s go back inside. It’s getting even colder outside,” Chris says in concern as he pulls her up and they head in.

“So, are we gonna talk about Ivy’s apology?”

“Nope.”

“Now, this looks like a party thrown by Jason." Steph says as soon as they're inside.  "Everywhere is flooded. Where did all these people come from?”

“I have no idea.”

“You’re so popular, it’s actually annoying.” Steph grumbles.

“I’m sorry, darling. It’s not my fault.”

Steph rolls her eyes to that. She sights her best friend. “Hey, that’s Brooke. Let’s go meet her.”

She drags him along before he can say anything. They get to where Brooke is but she’s too busy staring at someone to notice them.

“B?”

No answer.

“Brooke.” Steph calls her name a little louder this time.

“Yes, yes.” Brooke answers absentmindedly before looking. “Oh, hi Steph.” Then she goes back to staring.

Chris and Steph follow her line of vision.
“That’s the man of your dreams?” Chris asks.

“Huh?” Steph is confused.

“The one with strawberry blonde hair, yes.”

“The man of her dreams?”

“Yeah, she talked about him before coming back inside. Don't you remember?"

Steph shakes her head, "Nope. Maybe I zoned out when she was saying it."

“Did you get his number?” Chris asks.

“No, he’s playing hard to get,” Brooke squints her eyes at him. “And it’s just making me to want him more.”

“Seems like you’re over Cole.”

“Cole who?”

Chris and Steph laugh but Brooke is unbothered. She knows she isn't totally over Cole.

“We wanna play spin the bottle, who’s in?” Some guys hollers, getting people’s attention. Some people agree to play and they begin to gather for the game.

Brooke watches the man of her dreams join them too. She turns to Chris and Steph and asks if they would like to join.

“No, we’re good.’ Chris answers for both of them.

“Okay, wish me luck.” Brooke says and leaves to join the game.

“I don’t think I’ve seen her this determined to get a guy’s number,” Steph tells Chris.

“Hopefully, she gets it.”

She wraps her arms around his torso, hugging him. They watch together as more people join. All the players sit on the floor in a circle. A guy brings a bottle and declares that he’ll start the game. Others agree and the game begins.

Watching them play the game brings back memories for both Steph and Chris.

"Going down memory lane?"

"Yeah, I'm remembering how Brooke bullied me into attending the party."

"She did? How dare she?"

She chuckles. "I'm glad she made me come though. I probably wouldn't have if she didn't do that."

"I'm glad you did too."

"You know, when you spinned the bottle, I desperately hoped it wouldn't point at me. But it did and months later, here we are."

Chris smiles.

"Do you think there are other people like us that got into relationships as a result of playing spin the bottle?" Steph asks in curiosity.

"Probably."

"Brooke's guy is really handsome, don't you think?"

Chris shrugs, acting nonchalant. "He's okay."

"Are you jealous or offended?" Steph chuckles, amused.

"I'm not."

"Of course no one is as handsome and hot as my boyfriend."

"Glad you know."

"Forever cocky. You're the second most handsome guy to me." Steph smirks.

"Who's the first?" He narrows his eyes at her.

"You don't need to know." She has a mischievous grin on her face.

"I need to. I must."

"Hey hey!" Steph taps him, calling his attention back to the game. "It's handsome boy's turn."

Chris makes a mental note to continue this conversation later as he shifts his attention to the game.

The guy spins the bottle and everyone watches in anticipation. Brooke crosses her fingers and begins a chant in her head. To her, it feels like it's taking forever until it finally stops.

It's pointing at her. She glances at Steph for a moment, excitement written all over her face. It takes a lot for her not to scream in excitement.

On the other hand, Steph covers her agape mouth in surprise. "Oh my God! Chris. Did you see?"

"Yes, Hazel. I didn't miss a beat." Chris smiles, fascinated at how excited Steph is.

"They're about to kiss."

Brooke and the man of her dreams start to kiss and they both seem to be really into it.

"Brooke just might get his phone number after all," Chris says.

"Definitely."

"And you're not allowed to play spin the bottle again."

"What? Why?" Steph acts surprised, feigning innocence.

"I don't want you kissing anyone that isn't me."

"I can play other games then. Seven minutes in heaven, truth or dare... Strip poker..."

"No, no. No, you can not. In fact, just continue to hate parties and don't go to them. If you must go, we would go together."

Steph laughs so hard. "You're not serious."

"I'm being serious."

"Okay, babe. Only if you'll do the same. I don't other girls to try to steal you from me."

"Deal. There's no need to worry. You're the one for me, babe. No one can steal me from you."

"No parties without me? Are you sure you can do it?"

"Yes, I can. And I will."

Chris pulls Steph into his arms. "Hazel, I really like like you and I want us to be like this for a long time."

Steph smiles. "I really really like you too and I also want this."

"Promise we wouldn't break each other's heart?"

"We can't promise that, Chris. Life is unpredictable. Anything can happen. But I promise that I would never intentionally hurt you."

"Me too." Chris kisses her forehead and they hug each other tightly, feeling at home in each other's arms.

Steph thinks about how she initially wanted nothing to do with Chris but now she's his girlfriend; and she feels like the happiest girl in the world. She only hopes that things would stay like this for a long time.

THE END.

Author's Note: OMG! It's finally over. It's been over a year since I started this book. Different things happened while I was writing this book and I'm happy it's now completed.

Thank you to everyone that read, voted, commented and liked this book. Thanks for coming this far despite the slow updates, plot holes and broken promises. It means a lot to me. Thank you for following Stephanie and Christopher's story this far. I really appreciate. I'd probably write bonus chapters but it isn't certain yet.

Now, I can focus on HIS MARSHMALLOW. Check it out if you haven't.

Once again, thank you.

Don't forget to vote and comment your thoughts.

Continuă lectura

O să-ți placă și

Meeting You De kitten

Ficțiune adolescenți

249K 8.2K 39
"And it was all because of.." he pauses, giving me a soft smile, "Meeting you." *** Nicole Gold. The popular sweet heart. Popularity has always been...
Taming the Bad Boy De Lib

Ficțiune adolescenți

109K 3K 15
My best friend Sidney was an idiot. By idiot I mean plain out stupid. She got her self into trouble every where she went. She couldn't find something...
5K 419 35
"Highschool? Bullshit." ~The Perks of Being a Wallflower. Nobody likes highschool. It's four years of being judged, getting your heartbroken, feelin...
869K 25.4K 46
Michelle Adams is nowhere near popular, and she prefers it that way. She has her best friend Isaac, her burning desire to get into a good college, an...