Eli Borrelli

By Ahoefromthewoods

Have you ever looked up to the night sky and wished you weren't alive anymore? Have you tried to list reasons... More

Characters
1: Before the storm
3: Chicago police department
4: First impressions
5: New York
6: Rules
7: Maybe family
8: First screw-up
9: Money
10: Clean
11: First day
characters 2.0
12: Learning to family
13: Nightmares
14: Four blue pills
15: First breakdown
16: First break through
17: Communication...
18: ...Is hard.
19: Treat me better
20: One good day
21: Demons
22: Birthday boy
23: First friends
24: Getting closer
25: Visitor
26: Opening up
27: No going back
28: No more tears in heaven
29: Healing
30: It's quiet uptown
31: Remembering
32: Spookylicios
33: Complicated
34: Goodbyes
35: Emotions
36: Dates
37: letting go
38: Back on stage
39: Therapy
40: What happened in Finland
41: Funerals
42: Dog
43: The Stage loves Me
Characters 3.0
44: Christmas
45: Christmas 2.0
46: New Years
47: Setbacks
48: The Borrelli brothers (1)
49: The Borrelli brothers (2)
50: Red
51: Birthday
52: Blast from the past
53: California
54: The golden gramophone
55: The Grammys
56: Changes
57: The end

2: Back in Chicago

758 22 0
By Ahoefromthewoods

-24 hours earlier-

3rd Pov

The police found Bianca and Frank Jones dead in their car twelve hours before. The car was wrapped around a light pole as the driver had been drunk way beyond the limits. Lucky for the two, they hadn't suffered for long as they most likely died on impact. 

Ever since that file was dropped on her desk, Carol Jackson had been looking for the couple's daughter Serena with no luck. The neighbors hadn't seen her in over a year but said that to be common. Apparently, the Jones' had a habit of sending Serena to a camp, sometimes for months. Carol asked the neighbors and the couple's friends, but none of them seemed to know what camp it was.

Jackson filed a missing persons report almost immediately as she sensed something was off. She has been trying to find Serena's friends or family, who might know about her whereabouts, but came up with nothing. She asked the girl's school but they too hadn't seen her for over a year and she was said to spend her time alone. It was safe to say Carol Jackson was utterly exhausted. She couldn't even pinpoint when exactly the girl was seen last, since everyone was telling her a different version. She started calling up different camps from fat camps to rehabs all round the Chicago area but came up with nothing. 

At the same time as Carol was trying to find the missing 16-year-old, Mike Williams was trying to figure out, where Serena would go once they found her. She didn't seem to have any relatives so the only apparent solution would be foster care. Williams had already contacted a foster home, that could be able to take Serena for a couple of days as they searched for a permanent home. The only thing missing was the girl.

*Three days after the accident*

Eli POV

The plane had just landed back in Chigaco and couldn't be more scared even if two million crows landed on my head, and I'm extremely scared of them. I worked so hard to run away, but there I was, standing back in the US just praying this time would go better. 

For two days, I had been battling my mind about coming back, but in the end, I had to see it for myself. Also, I needed to see Diego again. I know I saw him almost every day on facetime, but I wanted to hug him and beat up everyone who dared to mess with him.

As the plane was rolling to the gate, I couldn't help but groan from frustration. I was back in the exact place, where I left.

It took me ninety minutes to get to the part of Chicago, where Diego lived. I wasn't ready to go see my parent's house yet and I don't know if I ever will be. 

I never liked the area Carlos and Diego lived in. It was dirty and worn down, with gangs and mobs running around. I used to come to see Carlos almost every day, but I still never got used to it. After Carlos died, I didn't like the idea of Diego living there on his own, but there really weren't a lot of options.

I knew better than anybody just how bad any neighborhood can be. My parents lived in a well-off suburb with white picket fences and two-story houses filled with perfect families and their golden retrievers. Still, I would have chosen to live with Carlos and Diego in a heartbeat.

As I stared out of the bus window, I realized just how long it had been since I had last thought about Carlos. I felt the guilt wash over me like a wave, that pulled me underwater as the water filled up my lungs. The truth is, I didn't want to think about it that much. He was my best friend, the closest thing I'll ever have to a family, and he died in my arms. As the bus drove through the sadly familiar city, I felt the memories, too painful to remember, coming back to the surface.

He was everything I had from the day I met him. I was just nine and he had just turned eleven when I went to see him for the first time. At first, he just sold me drugs, but slowly as I started coming around more often, he became my brother. Over time, when I met Diego, I realized just how amazing Carlos was. He was doing whatever he could to make the world as good as possible for his little brother. 

They became the family I never had. I looked after Diego and supported Carlos, while they saved my life more times than I can count. They took care of me, listened to me, and showed me what a family could be.

I could call Carlos in the middle of the night and he'd come to get me on his bike. We'd just sit on a rooftop somewhere smoking and talking about everything and nothing. We'd drink until the sun came out, and smoke until our lungs couldn't take any more. He was the only reason I survived my home life. I always had something to look forward to, to keep me going.

When Diego called me crying, it broke my heart. He didn't know what to do, he was just ten years old with his brother dying in his home. He was shot by his supplier for taking too much money for himself. He was always too proud to take my money, and it ended up killing him. After I raced to their place, it was too late, and I had to sit there feeling useless as ever as the only person I cared about slipped through my fingers.

I felt a tear escape my eye as I let my mind run wild. I guess, coming back was really not a good idea. All the painful memories I had of this place were too much to handle. I could feel my heart rate pick up, and my breathing slow down. I just closed my eyes and pressed my hands into fists. Soon enough, burning hot liquid was oozing out of my palms as my nails dug deeper into my flesh. Slowly, but surely I calmed down, just focusing on the pain radiating from my palms.

The moment I turned the corner and saw the rundown house, I let out a huge breath and a smile made its way onto my face. The place looked exactly like how I remembered it. Four stories of old bricks with holes in the walls from old age and the gunfights that sometimes occurred. As I got closer I saw the familiar black-haired boy running toward me at full speed. I dropped my bag down onto the pavement as I opened my arms. Diego ran straight into my embrace almost knocking me down. I let out a chuckle as I held him tight swinging from one side to the other.

"Missed you too kiddo," I chuckled as I finally let loose.

Diego just smiled wide, practically jumping up and down. He was a lot taller than he was then, but still just up to my chest, so I could use him as an armstand. His face was a bit more grown up and he was building on some muscle, but he still had that high-pitched voice when he laughed. 

"What's that?" my face dropped as I saw the scar Diego had on his eyebrow.

"It's just something I got from a fight," he said almost proud.

"You beat their ass?" I asked with a lifted eyebrow.

Diego just smirked and nodded, which got a laugh from me.

"Hell yeahhhh," I drug out as I gave him a high-five.

The apartment was basically the same as it was when I left. It just needed a bit more cleaning, but what would you expect from a twelve-year-old kid.

I jumped on the couch with a moan, earning a laugh from Diego.

"Oh my god, I missed this couch," I grunted as I laid down on my side.

"I think the couch missed you too. It still has an Eli-shaped dent in it you know," Diego joked as he plumbed down onto the couch next to me.

"Oh, that's why it felt so comfortable," I smirked back at him before shooting back up.

"Okay, first things first," I cleared my throat.

"Have you been getting into any trouble I should take care of, have you been eating healthy, and when was the last time you cleaned in here?" I asked in a serious voice.

"Nah, I'm good and I clean when it's dirty," Diego smirks throwing his hands being his neck.

"Cocky bastard," whispered under my breath.

"How dare you?!" Diego said in mock offense throwing his hand over his heart.

I could see mischief rising in his eyes as he leaned over and grabbed a glass of water from the coffee table. I didn't have enough time to react before he threw the context of the glass onto my face.

"Oh, now you're dead," I laughed charging at him with my arms open.

At the end of our very friendly fight, I was, once again, declared unbeatable and he had to do as I said for the rest of the night. I made him help me clean the apartment, which took us almost three hours. It was a one-bedroom apartment and we took three hours to clean it. I don't know if that says more about how dirty it was or about how lazy we were.

It was ten pm. when we finally finished and settled down on the couch watching The Real Housewives. I had my legs thrown over Diegos and he had his head on my shoulder. It was so utterly peaceful. 

"So, are you going to the cops?" Diego asked as we were completely sunk into the pointless drama happening on tv.

"I don't think so. I was kinda gonna talk to you about that," I answered honestly.

"Why not?" Diego asked turning to face me.

I just shrugged and after a while answered honestly:

"I don't have a reason to run away anymore, and I don't wanna leave you again. Last time was painful enough, you know. You're my family."

"I'll keep on doing random jobs and all that. In two years I'll be eighteen and I'll be able to get an actual job, I'll start putting money aside so you'd go to school as soon as possible. I could even legally adopt you and we'd go somewhere a bit better than this place," I rambled on, lost in my daydream.

"That sounds nice," Diego said with a huge smile on his face.

"You'd really do all that?" he asked after a while of silence.

"Of course, you're my little brother," I said squeezing him tight.

After that, we once again just stared mindlessly at the tv gasping as the women slapped each other or threw their drinks. That's where Diego learned his favorite move from. 

The sun was long gone and the only light in the room was the small tv that had been there for as long as I can remember. We had a blanket thrown over our feet as we held each other afraid to let go again. After a while, I could hear a small sniffing sound coming from my left side. I turned around and saw Diego silently crying staring into nothingness.

"Hey, what's wrong?" I asked softly nudging him with my shoulder. I wasn't the greatest at all the emotional stuff.

Diego turned his puffy eyes to look at my brown ones and said:

"I think you should do it. I-I think you should go to the police."

My face turned from comforting to confused really quick.

"What do you mean?" I asked not really understanding why.

"You are reported missing you know. That's almost the same as having a warrant. You couldn't get a normal job, 'cause you wouldn't get to go to school and you'd have to hide for the rest of your life," Diego said piercing into my soul with his eyes. 

I dropped my gaze to the floor knowing he was right. 

"I'm still ready to take that chance you know," I said feeling a tear threaten to come out of my own eye.

Diego just shook his head and continued:

"You have a chance to get something better, you could get to go to school and have a life. You deserve it."

The tears left my eyes not even asking for permission at this point. I hugged my brother tight as we cried together. It was coming this whole time, but I didn't think it would be over this.

"What about you? What about your life?" I asked silently.

"I'll be fine. Ms. Williams from downstairs, you remember her right? She likes to come over and make sure I'm fine. She invites me over to eat sometimes and even gives me clothes. And you'd still send me money right," Diego said with a smirk in the end.

I laughed a bit nodding at his explanation. I hugged him tighter to my chest and hummed:

"Let's think about this more tomorrow."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Melancholy By lisa

Teen Fiction

79.5K 2.6K 31
"𝐖𝐞 𝐬𝐡𝐨𝐮𝐥𝐝𝐧'𝐭 𝐛𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐬 𝐤𝐢𝐧𝐝 𝐨𝐟 𝐭𝐢𝐫𝐞𝐝 𝐚𝐭 𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐚𝐠𝐞." ------------------- Alyssa, Alessandro and Alessio Smith have gon...
5.7K 458 26
⚠️TRIGGER WARNINGS⚠️ *THIS BOOK CONTAINS A LOT OF MAJOR TRIGGERS! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!!! Kalani and Kaleb. 16 year old twins who have no one but t...
1M 33.6K 73
Here's a bombshell for you: I have eight brothers. Eight extremely attractive, smart, mischievous, crazy overprotective brothers. Well, step brothers...
8.7M 249K 100
Emilia and Lexi were twins but they couldn't be more oppersite if they tried. Emilia was selective mute, she was taught not to speak unless spoken to...