The Blue House

By seriesfreak

Hyun Ji Seok's last day as the President of South Korea left a scar on everyone's heart. Especially his only... More

Daylight
Sparks Fly
Only The Young
Gorgeous
You Belong With Me
Delicate
I Knew You Were Trouble
Lover
Afterglow
Jump Then Fall
Treacherous
State of Grace
Two Is Better Than One
This Is Me Trying
You Need To Calm Down
I'm Only Me When I'm With You
I Almost Do
Enchanted
The Joker and The Queen
Death by A Thousand Cuts
The Last Time
Mine
Exile
Begin Again
King of My Heart
Dress
Paper Rings
The Best Day
This Love
Today Was a Fairytale
...Ready For It?
RED
Welcome To New York
Everything Has Changed
Stay Stay Stay
Breathe
Love Story
Sweeter Than Fiction

This is Why We Can't Have Nice Things

3.2K 176 87
By seriesfreak

Bin wakes up drenched in sweat, which is weird considering the room temperature is way below their usual 24 degree Celsius. Bin himself set the thermostat before bed three days ago. The day after he started thrashing in bed in the middle of the night because of nightmares that are dismissed as nothing.

He thinks Ye Jin doesn't know about it. But she knows enough that this is four day in a row. Every time, he will get up and go to the kitchen, spending a few minutes there before changing his shirt and getting back to sleep.

Whenever she asked him whether he had a good sleep during breakfast, he would placate her with a fake cheery smile. She didn't buy it, of course, she merely waited for him to tell her what's going on. Like he promised.

Though it doesn't stop her from making assumption and speculation. Every credible reason graces her mind, and she hates that she even entertains the possibility of him getting a cold feet.

Sure— he isn't, is he?

Ye Jin wants to let him be, but this is day four and today she will move back to the guest house. She doesn't want to leave him only with his thoughts— and his dreams, she needs to get to the bottom of this. She gets up and takes her night robe, going to the kitchen to find him.

He is sitting down at the chair in the kitchen counter, eating some cereals in silence. His broad shoulders look defeated as he slouches forward. She walks to him slowly and stands behind him for a moment, deciding what she wants to do.

At the end, it is him that decides the action for her as he reaches back for her hand and brings it over his shoulders. Ye Jin instinctively brings the other one to circle him in a hug. Their heads touch as Bin leans to her.

"Jagiya, did I wake you?" He murmurs. Ye Jin kisses his temple and shakes her head.

"No," she lies. "I woke up to pee and you weren't beside me."

To her surprise, he chuckles. "You are not good at lying."

"I'll have you know— so are you, handsome." She turns him around to face her. She circles her arms on his neck and kisses the top of his head. His hands bring her closer as they find her tiny waist. They stay like that, taking comfort from each other while mulling over what to say.

"Do you want to tell me what's bothering you? What gets you tossing and turning these past few nights?"

Bin slides Ye Jin over and has her sit on his lap, "I must have bothered you."

"Only because I want to do something for you. And only because—" she hangs her words, fidgeting in his lap. Bin raises his hand and turns her chin toward him.

"Because of what, beautiful?" He asks gently.

"I'm afraid you're having cold feet." She whispers shyly. She knows she doesn't make any sense, so, if he can squash her worry, it'll be much better.

"Oh, beautiful." He mumbles softly as he closes the gap between them and kisses her as softly. "I may have done it in the past— but never again."

"I'm going to hold you to that and expect you to wait for me at the altar."

"I'll be there two hours early, if that means you'll be mine sooner."

She kisses him fervently on the mouth, her worries fly away by his words and she is elevated to cloud nine instead. He pulls away first, rubbing her lips tenderly, his eyes still bear turmoil within him.

"So, it's not cold feet."

"It's not."

"Then what?"

He falls silent and turns away from her, not saying anything for a long minute that Ye Jin thinks he changes his mind about telling her. She does wonder, though, what kind of thing that has burdened him this much. She caresses his back, comforting him, giving him time to collect his thought, and will gladly give him out if that's what he needs.

"Did you remember the reason behind me running for presidency?" Bin finally speaks in low voice.

Ye Jin thinks back to their conversation more than half a year ago where he laid down everything that might happen between them, when they spent time with expiration date in mind. All for his dream to change the legacy to his family name and to get the closure about his father's death.

"Of course."

"Did you by any chance mention it to your father?"

She mentioned that she would talk to her father when they talked about it, but Bin declined, so she didn't. Or maybe she did in passing. She didn't remember.

"May—be? Honestly, I don't remember. I may or may not mention it in passing, I doubt my father taking it seriously. Why do you ask?"

"Finding any leads to my father's case was one of the first thing I did once I was elected president. And Chief Kang finally found something."

"Okay— that's good news, right?"

"I don't know." He turns to her, looking at her eyes solemnly. "Promise me, if I tell you, you will not overreact. And you will not say anything to anyone. Including your father."

Ye Jin knits her eyebrows in confusion. "Why?"

"Because the lead pointed me to your father."

The hand caressing his back stops as the meaning of his words sinks in. "I don't understand."

"When Chief Kang asked the police commissioner for my father's case file, he was informed that someone from Cheong Wa Dae had requested the case files to be brought over."

"What? And it was my father who requested it?"

"It was."

She cups her mouth at his explanation. Of all the possible reason of his turmoil, none of her assumption comes close. "Oh, God. Sure you're not thinking my father had something to do with the assassination?"

"I don't know what to think. I don't want to think about it at all."

Ye Jin removes herself from his lap and paces in front of him. "That was why you were so cold toward my parents last Sunday."

Bin grimaces but nods. "I had a nightmare the previous night. About the day of the assassination— and— somehow your father was in it too. I didn't know how to act around him. I'm sorry."

"What did he do in your dream?"

"Talking to my father— laughing with him. The usual. He also brought a brown paper bag."

"A brown paper bag? What was in it?"

"I have no idea. I always woke up right when he pulled the content from inside the bag. It could be anything."

"But you thought it was a gun."

"That's one of the possibility."

"Oh, God." She throws her head back to watch the ceiling.

"Ye Jin— it can be anything. And it was only a dream, manifested by the information I got. It was probably nothing."

"But that means there's possibility that it was everything! God, this can't be happening, not when the wedding is only a few days away!" Her voice rises as uncertainties suddenly cloud their big day.

"Jagiya— it won't affect our wedding, I promise."

"How? How come it won't? If my father turns out having something to do with your father—"

"I'm going to stop you right there," Bin cuts her off, his voice is calm. "You are upset. Come here."

"What if it is everything?" She whispers distraughtly, refusing to go to him. And for the second time tonight, he makes decision for her.

The president gets up from his seat and goes to his first lady. Without saying anything, he lifts her up and walks them toward their bedroom. He is supposed to be the one with a free pass to break down, but here she is—

He lays her down on the bed and follows to lie down behind her, engulfing her in a protective embrace. And that's enough to make her tears run down and she sobs hard in his arms.

Bin doesn't say anything, just soothing her with his caresses on her arms until her cries subside. That's when he talks again. "Let's not thinking ahead of ourselves."

"Tell me how."

"Jagiya, he is your father. Give him the benefit of the doubt." He tells her softly. His careful words only makes her cry again.

This is undoubtedly the answer to her question. It's not normal to feel as happy as she is prior to her wedding. Something bad will happen and leave everything in tatters.

"I guess— this is why we can't have nice things; it's so easy to have them taken away. Just when I thought we're finally at the starting line of our forever." She cries into his arms.

It's the worst kind of scenario if it's really about her father. Her father who is her first love in every literal sense. Her father who is her anchor and her protector. She won't know what love is if it's not for him.

And she can't bear to think that he was involved in making life a hell for Bin. She really hopes he didn't. But if he did— she doesn't know how she can have a happily ever after with the love of her life. The guilt will easily wear her down and they won't survive it.

God, if only she can ask him about it right this second to free her from the suspense.

"I applaud you for reacting very calmly about this. You even talked to him, right? I saw you talking to him. Did you ask him why he requested those files?"

He shakes his head. "No, I didn't. I have decided to table the talk until after the wedding. Possibly after our maiden state visit and honeymoon."

"How? Aren't you curious to know what is actually going on? I can't believe you didn't confront him when you have every reason to."

"If you must know, when I talked to him, he was still the same genuine, nice and warm man I've always known. The best man he has been to me all this time. In some way, it eased the knot in my chest, so I chose to believe my heart. And I hope it can ease your heart, too."

She melts at his words, when even his daughter doubts him, he chooses the opposite. "Oh, Bin. Thank you for telling me that. I just can't compute why he has the case file."

"I don't have the slightest clue of how he is connected to the case, I have tasked Chief Kang to gather more intel on it, but I'm sure your father has a perfectly good explanation for requesting the files."

"I really hope so. He's a good man."

"Of course he is, beautiful. Nothing should change how you see him, not even this case."

"It's too little too late, don't you think? What else did you talk to him about?"

The way his hand stops caressing her shows his regret over the situation and Ye Jin feels as he scrambles to distract her. She appreciates him for knowing what she needs— which is a break from her own damn mind.

"Nothing else except you, he made me promise to make you happy. So, let's just focus on our wedding day. I hate that you have to move to the guest house."

"It's only for a few days. Yoon Ah Eonnie said the separation will make the wedding night— more eventful."

"You should've told her we have that part covered even without the separation."

Despite their situation, Ye Jin giggles at his confident response. Then they talk about things she hasn't told him from the gathering. "I introduced Gong Ji Cheol to Hyo Jin. Maybe we should host something so they can meet again."

"We have our wedding."

"Oh, right. Speaking of— I asked Eun Chan to be our flower girl."

"Hmm, she will be so adorable. I suppose the Prime Minister will be the flower boy then?"

They stop their conversation to think and chuckle as the image of the handsome man throwing flowers with his little girl pops out in their mind. "Gong Ji Cheol will be perfect as our flower boy."

"That's your interim President. I'm on leave already for the wedding."

"Oh, yes, that starting today. I'm gonna head to the guest house in the afternoon."

"Don't remind me, I really really hate it. Let's get back to sleep, Jagiya. We can get up as late as we want. I'm sorry to wake you up in the middle of the night."

"I don't think I can sleep tonight. I'm so used to sleep in your arms."

"I'll call you and we'll talk until you fall asleep."

"Call me every night."

"Duly noted, my first lady. What else?"

She closes her eyes then slowly turns her body around to face him. She seeks his eyes then burrows herself into his broad chest.

"Tell me when you hear any news about my father. I want to know." She mutters quietly.

"What if it's bad? You can't expect me to hurt you if it's bad."

"I have every right to know, Jagiya."

Her fiancé takes a deep breath and releases it very slowly. "I can't promise you that, beautiful. I'm so sorry."

"But—"

"I'm going to do everything to protect you, and if it means concealing the truth, I'll do it in a heartbeat. Let me bear the burden for the both of us."

"Are you sure you can endure it? What if it eats you alive? You will be married to the daughter of someone who had a hand in killing your father after all."

Bin is clearly taken aback with her statement. His body stiffens before gradually relaxing again. He releases his breath slowly as he tightens his hold on her, patting her back gently. Giving both of them some kind of reassurance and comfort.

"We're going to get through this. We are going to." He tells her repeatedly.

He says it with enough conviction for her to believe it, but his quivering voice at the end is enough to cast another doubt about their relationship.

"Are we— gonna be okay, Jagiya?"

No one answers her, however, as the question stays inside her mind. Never spoken out loud.

***

It feels foreign to have the main residence to himself after having Ye Jin here all the time. They bid their temporary good bye late yesterday afternoon, and as tradition calls for it, Bin won't see her until the wedding.

In the grand scheme of things, this short separation — two days total — feels insignificant, especially when being compared to those two long months they had been tested with previously. It's 58 days less, and only two sleeps away.

Most importantly, unlike that previous occasion where he had to condition himself to wait indefinitely, this time the wait is definite. The stage is set for what media called the wedding of the century for tomorrow.

The front lawn has been transformed into a long flowery aisle just like what Ye Jin wants. The cameras are set — both in the main residence and at the guest house Ye Jin is currently staying — to follow them as they prepare for their big day. He has written his vow. Everything is ready; he is more than ready to make Ye Jin his wife.

So, why does he feel antsy? Like something will go horribly wrong. In that sense, these two days — considerably short by any metrics — make him feel as if they've been apart longer than that.

Is it because of how they left their conversation about her father yesterday? Does his inner self  — hunch, insight, intuition, whatever it is called — try to tell him something?

A player in the financial field, he has learned since a long time ago to never argue with what his inner self said. When he has to choose between strict logic and this formless hunch, he always goes with his hunch. And most of the time, it rewards him with fortunes.

So, it seems foolish to start disregarding it now as he fails to reach Ye Jin before bed, the last sleep before they are husband and wife. Something is not right; it's not like her to not pick up his call.

"Pick it up, pick it up, Jagiya." He mumbles as he stands in front of the floor to ceiling window of their bedroom. He is on his fifth try, and he swears he'll check on her himself if she doesn't answer his call by the time he reaches his sixth attempt.

CLICK. "Hello." Her soft voice answers him.

"Finally!" Bin exclaims with a little relief and a lot of annoyance.

"Hey, sorry, I was just getting ready for bed."

He glances at his watch. It's 30 minutes past ten, she usually does her ritual long before this time. "It's late."

"Yeah. It's just— I can't stay still. So I took a walk circling Nokjiwon and time flew."

He exhales his relief, that feeling— he can relate. "Excited about tomorrow?"

"Nervous, excited— nervous." He can imagine her letting out a small nervous smile when she said that. "Need some distraction? I spent most of my day arguing with my sister."

"Please? I need to stop thinking about tripping over my feet in front of everyone. Or meeting my father for the first time."

"I shouldn't have told you about that." He says regretfully.

"Not telling me about my father is the last thing you should do. We've promised to always be honest with each other."

"We should've put an exception to that rule. The rule is forfeited if it makes one of the parties hurting. In that situation, the judgment of the one bearing the bad news prevails."

"Stop being a lawyer and back to my fiancé, please."

Bin chuckles, thankful that she is distracted. "Okay— so, Yoon Ah."

"Ah, yes, your sister. What about her?"

"I think she has a crush on Mr. Kim."

"Mr. Kim?"

"Her security detail, Kim Je Ha."

"Hmm."

"Why aren't you surprise to hear that?" He asks with suspicion.

"Noo, I'm surprised, like— really surprised. Gosh, Yoon Ah and Mr. Kim? I will never guess!"

"I've told you, you are really a terrible liar," he sighs. "So, it's true?"

Ye Jin laughs lightly, like the fact that his sister having a crush on her security detail won't end in disaster. "What I know— what she asked me last weekend was whether Mr. Kim looked at me with a smoldering gaze."

That perks his curiosity; does the capable and dependable man has a habit of seducing his object of protection?

"And? Did he?"

"Is that jealousy I hear in your voice, Mr. President?"

"Pffffttt. I think I have passed that phase. What is Kim Je Ha compared to that man who made his intention toward you very clear to me? And I invited him last weekend."

"Inviting Gong Ji Cheol to our home was such a winning and proud moment for you, wasn't it?"

"Even more than being elected president," he says jokingly. "Now, tell me, should I remove Mr. Kim from his current assignment?" He steers back the conversation to the original topic.

"What is your objection precisely about the current arrangement? What did you argue about with your sister?"

"Everything, basically. I know that for Mr. Kim, his job is very important. And he's good at doing it."

"Does it bother you that Mr. Kim is her bodyguard?"

"It's not so much about his job, it's the principal behind it. He is not allowed to fall in love with the object under his protection, that alone spells disaster for me. And I can't do anything if she keeps denying the notion."

"She doesn't want him to get into trouble and she wants him close. Maybe we should let them be."

"I can't. She's still my sister. I don't want her to get heartbroken when he stays true to his principal."

"She's an adult, Bin. A little heartbreak is not the end of the world and trust me, she can take care of herself."

"That's really the essence of our argument. But it's still against my principal." He grumbles. She laughs again then yawns, signaling she'll be out soon.

"Just do what you did to me, protect her from afar. Buy another coffee shop if that makes you feel better."

Bin chuckles. "Maybe I'll do just that. Thank you for listening to me."

"Always. Thank you for distracting me."

"See you tomorrow?"

"Of course," she pauses, hesitating a little before continuing. "Although, like you— I won't know how to act around my father when I see him tomorrow."

"Oh, beautiful."

"I just wish I have some clarity over the matter before our wedding. I don't want what's supposed to be a sacred event to be tainted by suspicions and doubts or anything like it."

Anxiety washes over him and that hunch— comes back again with her hesitation fueling the feeling. His stomach churns as he thinks about the possibility of her having cold feet over this matter.

No, don't think about it. Don't let your subconscious mind catches your doubt, Bin. Or it will turn it into reality.

"You only need to think about the wedding, Jagiya. I'll check with Chief Kang if he has any new updates. And I'll let you know." He finally tells her.

"It's probably easier if I just ask my father about it." She mutters.

"Ye Jin, we'll talk to him. But I don't think tomorrow is the right time for that."

Ye Jin sighs with resignation. "You are right, I know that."

"Right now, we'll sleep. Then we'll wake up tomorrow feeling fresh. Our wedding day has finally come." He talks slowly using his baritone voice to calm her down and he thinks he succeeds as she helps him constructing the perfect scenario for their big day.

"Our family will be here in the morning, then we'll get pampered. You'll have a heart attack when you see me tomorrow."

"And you will have drools all over your face seeing me in my tux waiting for you at the altar."

"I will walk to you, slowly— God forbid I trip over my feet or my dress."

"I'll take you by the hand then we exchange rings and recite our vows."

"Then I'll be married to you. We'll be husband and wife."

"For a hundred years at least, that's the contract. We'll be tied to each other forever."

"Uh-hmm." She mumbles sleepily.

"Jagiya," he calls her name softly. "We're going to be okay, trust me. See you tomorrow at the altar."

She doesn't answer, her steady breath tells him that she's probably asleep. "I'll let you go. Sleep tight, beautiful. Dream about me."

***

"You are getting married." Bin looks up from his food to his mother's direction on his left and almost rolls his eyes at the woman who gave birth to him. They are having a late breakfast before the whole festivities begin for the day.

"Eomeoni, that's the tenth time you say that since we arrive." Yoon Ah raises an eyebrow at their mother and Bin follows that with a grin.

"Hyun Yoon Ah, are you telling me you've envisioned this happening?"

"Well, not really. Oppa was really convincing when he said that he wouldn't get married until he served his term as president. But we already had a month to digest this news, Eomeoni."

"And I still can't believe it. So, let me be, because my son is finally getting married."

Yoon Ah rolls her eyes and prepares to launch another argument — the journalist and anchor that she is — but Bin cuts her off.

"Let Eomeoni have it, Yoon Ah-ya. Remind me again, the rundown for today." Bin calmly says as he continues his breakfast.

"For a groom, you are incredibly calm, Oppa."

Calm, he is most definitely not. He can't shake away the bad feeling from yesterday, but he hopes the day will give him something good so he won't feel this way. Or else, fake it until you make it.

"So I fake it good." He smirks. "Last night I talked to Ye Jin, and she was— nervous. So, between the two of us, I need to be the calm one despite whatever I feel. Anyway, everything is ready, I believe?"

"Yes, everything is ready. You'll suit up after lunch, approximately at one, then you'll have an interview with Baek Yi Jin from UBS at 2. You have read the question, haven't you?"

"I have. I must say I'm surprised with the questions. I thought it will be like the one with TVS."

"UBS wants to highlight what it means for the highest authority in the country to have a partner. So, while yes, they still hope for a heartfelt interview, it won't be sappy. It will highlight your strength as a man with many roles and how you thrive for perfection for each one of them, including as president and as husband."

"Good job in appointing them, Madam Press Secretary."

"It's Ye Jin Eonnie's choice. She asked for the candidates to submit their questions for the interview. I say— what a perfect partner."

"She did? What did she say?"

"I quote— 'the country doesn't need to see him as a romantic man, they have seen enough of it with how he announced our engagement. The interview needs to paint him as a multidimensional leader who can be even better in leading this country with a partner by his side'. That's what she said. Like I said— perfection."

Bin smiles so wide, it takes almost all of his face. "Indeed, she is. She is perfect for me."

"Oh, son. You're so in love, I'm so happy to see it."

"You have no idea how much, Eomeoni." He smiles then turns to Yoon Ah again. "What else after the interview?"

"Wait— I forget, they will take a shot of you during the suit up for the video. Please, bear with them. The interview is set to finish by 3.30, they will set you up with mic after that, then you'll make your grand entrance to the aisle at 4 PM."

"And the traditional ceremony?"

"We've set a private ceremony with only immediate family as attendees tomorrow at 11."

"No media, right?"

"No external media, but the blue house official photographer—"

Their conversation is abruptly cut off by the sound of the front door opening and Kang Jin Tae enters the room. His family is used to seeing him around, so they don't see his presence as weird, but Bin is immediately tensed up, knowing what he is here for.

After ending his call to Ye Jin, he called his chief security to tell him about the first lady's anxiousness regarding her father's involvement in his father's assassination. He was in for a surprise when Chief Kang said he had some updates to share.

"Since the plan is to make a move after the wedding, I thought I'll withhold the updates until then, but I'll be at the residence tomorrow morning." Kang Jin Tae told him.

Chief Kang nods at the family he has served for forever and gives a meaningful stare to the president. Bin returns the stare then turns toward his mother and sister to excuse himself. He wipes his mouth with the paper napkin before standing up.

"Eomeoni, sister, if you'll excuse me, I have a matter to attend to."

"Is everything okay, Oppa? You look tense."

"She's right, Son. This is your wedding day, can't it wait?"

Bin tries to change his expression, softening it with a smile to appease the women. "It's fine, I'm fine. I'll be right back, okay?"

He leaves the dining room and goes to the study, locking the door after Chief Kang enters the room. He watches his chief security's back from his place at the door, sudden bout of anxiety ambushes him.

Is this the right call, listening to whatever information Chief Kang has, merely few hours before his wedding?

Bin gulps then forces himself to walk toward his guest. "Is it bad?"

Chief Kang glances at his boss as he takes his place in front of the mahogany working desk, planting himself at the edge of it and crossing his arms in front of his chest. Despite trying so hard to appear calm and collected, Bin's nervous energy — adrenaline so to speak — is radiated from every pore of him. And Kang Jin Tae takes a pity on him.

The chief relaxes his stance — for once not standing as straight as he can, eyes radiates warmth to counter Bin's hard stare, he even puts a smile — in the hope that the younger man can catch his hint and loosen up a little. It's not that bad; no, it's not bad at all.

"Why are you smiling? Is it not bad? Are you here with some good news?"

"You should judge for yourself after you hear it. But from my point of view— it will bring a little relief to both of you, so you can focus on being happy today."

Bin stares at his employee, searching a sign that he's being placated. When he doesn't find any, he uncrosses his arms and puts his hand at the edge of the desk. "Okay, let me have it."

"First of all, the request of the case files came in in February. Do you recall anything happen during that time? A talk with President Son where you mention something about your late father?"

"February?" Bin frowns a little trying to remember. "I don't think so— wait, wait— I met him, I met Ye Jin's parents at the end of February. We talked about my father a little bit, but I don't think it was about his death."

"Whatever it was, it was enough for the former president — or maybe as Miss Son's father — to want to read the file. Beside the police commissioner, the only one who knew about it was his chief security, so I figured, it was as good as a lead, given the situation."

"Sometimes a chief security was even worse to get something out of."

"Good thing he was a friend of mine. Chief Im and I went way back. He was a little rough on the edge but if you knew how to reason with him— he would gladly help you, including shed some light about his former boss."

"What did he say?"

"Cheol Ryeong said among his last task before the end of President Son's term was to track down Cha Seung Won and have him taken care of."

Shiver runs through Bin's body at the word 'taken care of' as the implication of it is not lost on him. "Cha Seung Won?"

"Your father last lead security detail."

"I know Chief Cha. But why?"

"President Son thought that he would be a thorn in your presidency if he didn't get taken care of."

"Under what allegation did he was pursued?" He rises to his height and starts to pace in the small space.

"It was believed that he was the mastermind of President Hyun's assassination."

Bin feels a stab in his heart at hearing that— Chief Cha? He will never guess. He didn't remember when exactly he was appointed Chief Presidential Security by his father, but he saw him around for a year, at least. His father had to vet him before appointing him, hadn't he?

"It was believed? It isn't conclusive yet?"

"He can't say anything about it, he didn't see the case report for himself. From what I gathered from him and my research, Cha Seung Won and his brother Cha Ki Sung, known in South Korea by his new name Kim Joo Hyuk, were North Korean defectors. While Chief Cha maintained a clean life, same thing couldn't be said about his brother. He was sentenced to death after involved in a shoot out at the DMZ killing 5 South Korean soldiers after getting caught redhanded smuggling army weaponry to his motherland."

"And the connection to my father?" Bin glances at his confidant.

Chief Kang gives him an article where his father was shown announcing special pardon to some of prisoners. "President Hyun rejected his request for pardon. Cha Ki Sung was given lethal injection two months before President Hyun was shot to death."

"You think that's the reason behind my father's killing."

"Yes. Although— you have to confirm it with President Son. And I suggest to do that after the wedding, Mr. President." Another mention of his soon-to-be father in law's name and his wedding reminds him of the most important question.

"Chief Kang," he stares down Chief Kang with his best glare. "Did the involvement of Cha brothers mean President Son was not involved at all?"

He poses the question carefully as he struggles to keep his heart from pounding hard with nerves. Despite a little clarity on his father's case, there is nothing more pivotal for him than getting the answer to the question he has just uttered.

Kang Jin Tae returns his stare calmly then gives him the reassurance he's been waiting for with a nod. "Im Cheol Ryeong swore the only involvement the former president had on the case was the recent elimination of the remaining threat."

Recent elimination of the remaining threat.

Bin closes his eyes and the immense relief he feels over those words makes his knees wobble and he loses his balance, prompting Kang Jin Tae to step forward and catch him.

"Easy, Bin."

"I really hope you're telling the truth, Kang Jin Tae."

"I promise, nothing but the truth."

Bin reaches out to his shoulder and spontaneously hugs him, heaving a long sigh of relief then screaming his joy. He is very glad that he chose to give Son Shin Il his unwavering trust and gets rewarded by this encouraging development.

Maybe for once, his hunch is not that accurate and they will cruise through today. He needs to tell Ye Jin—

He pulls back and smiles wide at the older man before dismissing him to call Ye Jin. "Thank you, Chief Kang. I'll let the first lady knows."

Bin circles the table then sits on the chair, patting his pants pocket for his phone and not finding any. He reaches for the desk phone to call the guest house, feeling very impatient to deliver the news. But no one is answering the phone.

He glances at the wall clock inside the room, it's 20 minutes to noon— Ye Jin is probably getting her hair and make up ready. He'll try later.

Later. Famous last word. In the midst of his own pampering and preparation for the afternoon events, the important news is slipped from his mind.

He suits up to a navy Tom Ford tux, complemented by calla lilies which is strung together in the lapel of his suit jacket, and goes to each agenda that has been set by their team.

The president does his interview with ease — Mr. Baek may become his newest favorite reporter with his way of making the session akin to a casual talk with a friend — and delivers some quotes that will definitely melt the viewers.

"Married or not, committed to a relationship or not, the task of a president will not change. I am obligated to build the country according to my vision, to carry it out in a peaceful manner and according to the constitution. Although, I have to say, having Ye Jin — the first lady — by my side makes it so much easier. At least, when I decree an unpopular policy in the future, when I have the whole country against me — not that I wish for that — I will still have her in my corner. Always and forever."

"It's precisely because First Lady Son comes from different background, different perspective and angle that I find her— inputs very valuable. She'll be my trump card. She's always been my lucky charm anyway."

"Having a partner for me is not just a matter of choosing someone who looks good in my arms— it's also about making a home within someone and finding a certain peace that only she can impart. And for me, that's First Lady Son, ever since the beginning. She never fails to make me smile, do you know that?"

It's 3.45 PM, fifteen minutes to the big event, when he finally finds himself alone again, all mic'd up and ready to go. All of the important guests — the likes of Speaker of the National Assembly, foreign dignitaries, and their family and friends — have seated in their assigned seats. The live coverage has started 15 minutes ago at 3.30 PM on the dot.

The bride and groom will walk down the aisle to the music of their own choices, the groom with a classic 'I Was Born To Love You' by Queen and his bride to the tune of another classic 'Can't Help Falling In Love With You' by Kina Grannis. They will enter from a different door so as to make the bride's appearances a surprise, even for the groom.

At five minutes before 4 PM, the groom's entrance door to the lawn is opened by UBS team, a camera is ready to roll. Bin takes a deep breath and smiles when the music starts to play in the background. His second act of life will start in a few minutes and somehow the knowledge calms him down.

He waits his cue and when the director gives his signal, Bin takes a step toward his forever with confidence. As he finds familiar faces on both sides of the flowery path, his smile grows wider and he acknowledges them by nodding along.

Bin stops in front of the big flower gate at the end of the aisle and turns around, his heart on his sleeve as his music fades out and the melody of Ye Jin's song slowly fades in.

The groom, as well as all the guests, sets their focus to the other entrance to the front lawn. The door is still closed, another cameraman is on stand by, ready to record the bride walking on the aisle in the arms of former President Son.

In hindsight, he should've trust his hunch that something will go horribly wrong. Minutes gets by, the camera continues to shoot the elated expression on Bin's face that slowly turns into frowns when the soft tunes has come to an end, yet—

The door remains closed and no bride in sight.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

594K 47K 75
"Kyra look pon mi" he lifts my chin up so my eyes could meet his. "Just say the word and we leff right now, yav dah power deh ma" he says, eyes never...
28.9K 1.5K 33
After spending most of his childhood ill and in hospital, Tully DeMoor is finally able to begin living a somewhat normal life after receiving the gif...
56.8K 5.6K 44
My grandmother is a witch. My mother is a witch. My sisters are witches (one of them in more ways than one). And to my complete and utter shock, I'm...
18.6K 770 71
Rhylee Miller has recently moved across the pond from Australia to the UK. With her beloved dog by her side, she's determined to make some friends, g...