Mistaken For A Guy

By Porshford

Having to bear a name that resembles that of a guy when in actual fact you're not one has its own effects. ... More

WELCOME FELLA 🤝🏻
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-one
Chapter Twenty-two
Chapter Twenty-three
Chapter Twenty-four
Chapter Twenty-five
Chapter Twenty-six
Chapter Twenty-seven
Chapter Twenty-eight
Chapter Twenty-nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-one
Chapter Thirty-two
Chapter Thirty-three
Chapter Thirty-four
Chapter Thirty-five
Chapter Thirty-six
Chapter Thirty-seven
Chapter Thirty-eight
Chapter Thirty-nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-one
Chapter Forty-two
Chapter Forty-three
Chapter Forty-four
Chapter Forty-five
Chapter Forty-six
Chapter Forty-eight
Chapter Forty-nine
Chapter Fifty
Chapter Fifty-one
Chapter Fifty-two
Chapter Fifty-three
Chapter Fifty-four
Chapter Fifty-five
Chapter Fifty-six
Chapter Fifty-seven
Chapter Fifty-eight
Chapter Fifty-nine
Chapter Sixty
The Chapter nobody asked for...

Chapter Forty-seven

197 18 4
By Porshford

Sam Lewis.🥴

~ a day later...

"Sam! Sam! Where is that girl!"

"Coming,"I responded, hurriedly emptying the trash into the large waste bin outside.

I run back inside to the living room where Auntie stood, tapping her foot impatiently.

"Auntie here I –"

"Have you mopped this place?"

"Yeah, sure."

     "So you're becoming blind now huh? Since you came back from school, you never do anything right! The egg you fried for me yesternight was too salty! You claim you swept the compound this morning but I found wrappers littered on it. And now you're insisting you've mopped this place and look at this! So are you trying to tell me that groundnut lying there is part of the floor decor?"

My brows sulked together as I looked at the tiled floor of the living room that I cleaned spotless minutes ago.

Then I felt my eyes twitch at the sight of a groundnut at the foot of the sofa. It hadn't been there before...

"Oh,"I mutter, moving to pick it up before she made extra fuss about it.

Auntie stopped me by a shove on my shoulder,"listen here young lady! I don't condone filth in my house, do you hear me?"

My eyes flickered back and forth hers, trying to tame my annoyance.

"I didn't do it. It most certainly wasn't there until now. I'll just... I'll just pick it off and it's fine."

She scoffed.

"Wow, did you hear that? Now she's all grown! Lecturing me and all."
"Nonsense! You didn't do it so who did? Me?"

I sighed, pressing a finger on my temple. I'm not ready for this. So not ready.

"Please, I was at something before you called me here. It's just a nut,let me pick it and get back to what I was doing."

Wrong words Sam, wrong words.

"What the hell!" Auntie bursted, yanking the front of my shirt roughly to face her,"I'm gonna slap you the next time you talk back at me like you own all the sense in the world! Am I your mate? Or you think because you're schooling at a prominent university so you're above me? A cheek of it! You keep forgetting you're just a nobody. A mere orphan."

I jerked her hands off me without registering, my eyes narrowing to slits and anger rushing into my system at her unfeeling words.

"I'm not a nobody. With all due respect, I'd appreciate if you do not bring that subject up in your rants."

I made a move to pick the fucking groundnut but Auntie pushed me violently, making me hit my waist on the arm of the sofa.

I winced in pain but quickly recovered, snapping my gaze at her.

"What is your problem? Why do you fancy making my life hell?! Just let me understand you, because it's too much. Anything I do doesn't please you..."

I was tempted to add; Are you a witch?

But my conscience won't let me.

Auntie burst into a mocking laugh.

"So what, you want to beat me?"she laughed again, clapping in the process. "Eh? Go on, psycho. Hit me so I can gain grounds to jail you. Easy way to get rid of your sorry self."

I straightened up, deciding to ignore her comments.

"You're just a fool!,"she continued,"Just fucking foolish like your mother was when she saw your dad."

"What is going on here Clara? I just heard you cuss at your niece."

My uncle walked into the living room,a puzzled look seeping through his features as he switched gazes from me to his wife.

Auntie hmphed,"ask her! She's the one looking at me like she wants me dead!"

"Honey, can you believe she's trying to attack me when all I did was told her to clean this place properly? Look at that groundnut on the floor! And she claims she's mopped this place!"

He followed her index finger to where it pointed and I saw him exhale.

"Oh, dear. Are you shouting at her at this time of the morn because of a groundnut? Apart from it,I don't see anything wrong with the cleaning. This place doesn't need to be cleaned, it looks perfect."

Auntie visibly stilled, unfolding her hands as she stared at her husband.

"What did you say, Henry?"

He shrugged, bending to pick the stray groundnut.

"I'm saying you shouldn't shout at her. It's not nice. And I must have left this here by mistake... I'd been munching on some groundnuts with my bread.."

Uncle looked at me,"sorry,dear. I didn't mean to litter."

I gave him my signature polite smile.

"It's alright, uncle... I'll just– I'll just get back to my work."

A mocking clap which came from Auntie stopped me in my tracks as she chuckled– anything but sweet.

"Oh my god. So Henry, you're siding with her huh? You're against your own wife now?"

"What are you– what do you mean siding with?"

"Don't play oblivious, please! So you trying to make me look like the bad person here just because I questioned her cleaning?"

"There's nothing wrong with her cleaning... and the chores she performs. And I overheard you even from the restroom. Why...why are you stressing her? She barely got back from school a day ago and you won't even let her rest. And now I'm telling you I was responsible for the litter and you're still getting angrier. Is this how you've been treating her – sorry, maltreating her all this while?"

I drew my bottom lip between my teeth, eyes darting across the room.

Uncle was usually a man of few of words. The rare times he was at home, sometimes you wouldn't even notice he was coz he moved about doing his own thing silently and before you knew, he's back overseas.

The few words we ever exchanged was just he asking how I was doing and that's it.

So this one was really a first. Felt like he was standing up for me or something.

   "You call this maltreating? I'm only training her! How can you question my way of bringing her up?"

"Why are you being difficult? I'm just stating the real fact; leave her alone. Let her have some freedom in this house. Think about it, have I ever talked to you this way? No. Because I've never seen or heard you act this way towards her. I didn't imagine you were this hard on her.
Yesterday when I saw the way you overworked her till dusk, I decided to keep mute about it because I thought it wouldn't continue that way. Guess I was wrong. She's not a slave ooh. She's more or less like our daughter."

"Under my foot!" Auntie exclaimed, stomping her foot loudly,"this girl, my daughter? Henry you're insane. Like I'd prefer to be barren!—"

Ey what on earth... I'm gonna leave before something compels me to shoot back.

—"so you expect me to be at her beck and call eh? I should be serving and pampering her? No, tell me."

Uncle looked upwards, equally frustrated with her.

"Hun, you should be very cautious of your words. I get it your angry but please, I'm just saying to tone down on the chores you assign to her."

"Hey, have you eaten today?"he directed at me, catching me off guard just when I was turning to go.

I sighed, looking elsewhere.

"No. I'm not allowed to eat until I'm done with the chores."

"And that law was implemented by?"

None other.
My silence said it all.

Uncle paced the room, rubbing his brows as he shook his head.

"Are you serious, Clara? what really is going on in this house? Am I missing something?"

He plopped on a nearby sofa, gazing at his wife.

"Is this the kind of treatment you deem fit for your blood sister's child?"

"Hey,hey, hey, hey!! Enough! Mr. goody goody!"she must've come out of her temporal  shock,"I won't stand here for you to lecture me in front of this bastard! Ah, my god. I'm disappointed in you very much, Henry. Why am I even surprised that you're siding with her? For all I know, you're having an affair with her that's why!"

WHAT.

I was beyond shell shocked. Like, upon all accusations she chose to use that!

Uncle scrunched up his face in aghast. "Clara!"

"Oh shut up. You think I didn't notice how you'd stare at her bosom from time to time?! You should be ashamed of yourself Henry!"

   "Auntie that's enough!"I butted in, not able to help myself,"that's a stupid false accusation! How could you say that?"

She purposely sized me up from the corner of her eyes, clicking her tongue,"if you don't shut up over there, you'll be sorry. Whore–"

"Clara, take that back!"he was on his feet now, advancing towards her.

"Take it back or else you will be sorry. Upon all accusations, you choose to assume I'll do such a thing with your niece? I don't even know you anymore."

   "You can't dictate for me,"she clicked her tongue, sizing her own husband up,"and when last did you learn how to raise your voice on me? Please."

I could tell my uncle was being very picky in his words because of me so to save them from further embarrassment, I figured to leave the scene abruptly.

"Sam, get to your room." Uncle said– no, demanded before my foot could hit the porch floor.

"I... I need to mow the lawn and—"

"Go get something to eat and get to your room. Now."

"Henry don't you dare! She doesn't eat until all chores are completed!"

"I beg to contradict."he said,still looking straight at me with that daunting aura which screamed "you better not defy my order".

I opened and closed my lips for like four times before nodding and making a noiseless dash back inside to the kitchen.

He's the man of the house after all, I should obey him more.

                                ~🥵~

Upon reaching my room, I made sure to lock the door so I wouldn't be teased to eavesdrop on the ongoing squabble at the living room. I set the mug of coffee I made for myself on my study desk, shuffling towards the LOML (my bed).

Plopping on it, I heaved an exhausted sigh, tugging at the ends of my curls.

At this point, I didn't know which one was more peaceful... surviving a disguise in a male dominating school or getting stuck with an insanely crazy woman who hated peace more than anything.

Exactly 24 hours had passed since I escaped from the premises of Noble boys academy with the help of Greg.

Surprisingly enough, my aunt hadn't gotten any call from the school like the headmaster had stated. Which had me in deep thoughts of what was possibly happening over there.

Had they found out I escaped? Well, probably.

How was yestermorning like over there? Were members of the disciplinary committee shocked? Furious that I had run away? Worst, had they found out Greg had aided my escape? What were they planning? Was I going to appear on the newspapers as the man-woman of Noble boys academy?

Why hadn't they phoned Auntie like I had dreaded? Had they decided to leave me to my fate, after all they had inputted all the bad records into my file and rendered me education-less till till?

All this questions and more swarmed through my brain but the thing is, I had no answer to them.

I had switched off my phone since I left the school for fear they'd track my location and come get me to go through my public humiliation.

So I had absolutely no idea what was going on.

Almost like I had locked up all my life and events at Noble's and threw the key away.

Auntie's raised voice as she rained insults on her husband pierced into the thick walls of my room.

I huffed, throwing myself on the pillow.

I hated to be the catalyst of any argument but that woman was just too annoying and impossible.

Anytime her husband came home, she'd just find a way to pick quarrels to frustrate him so he'd go back quickly than he had planned.

Normally he'd just ignore it because like I said,he was a man of few words and preferred to be quiet after saying one or two.

He was a soft man, he didn't like problems.

Whereas his wife was the whole opposite of him — loud, quick-tempered, controlling, unfaithful. She always made sure to be the winner of their arguments.

I mean, did she have the guts to accuse him of fornication? Wasn't she even ashamed?

Hypocrite. That's what she was with no caption.

She was even meaner to me especially when Uncle was home on a work break. I figured it was as a result of frustrations on her part.

With him here, she couldn't throw those wild parties with her friends and sleep around until Uncle was out again. She thus, took all those frustrations on me.

Question is:Me, what I do?

I didn't want to be involved in their marital affairs but sometimes it pained to see how she has and is still playing him for a fool when  he's constantly showed her love and money.

He didn't deserve to be with her at all. But who was I to say?

It was their own problem. If he ever got to know what she did at his back, glory be to god. If he never got to know too, fine. I was not going to inform him and be the underlying cause of a divorce. Nah.

~~~

The rest of the day was eventfully uneventful.

There was this kind of dark cloud hanging over the house and a tension between the two. They avoided each other's paths as possible as they could in the enclosed area that was the house.

Uncle made sure I didn't do more chores than necessary and though relieved, I surmised he was only creating more troubles for me if the daggers my aunt threw my way was anything to go by.

I had finished with my lunch of fries and sausage chops and was currently doing the dishes when I felt the presence of someone looming behind me.

I gasped, jumping out of skin and turning around to find it was Uncle.

"Oh,"I said, pressing a palm against my chest nonchalantly.

He stared down at me with the fatherly expression,then darted at the sink.

"I thought I told you to get a break from the chores, have some rest?"

"Yeah, I'm just doing the few dishes. I'm almost done. I'll go rest afterwards."

He nodded quietly, moving to the refrigerator. 

"I'm not even surprised you like working. So... how was life at Oxford? You made any new friends?"

I sucked in my breath not because this was the first time he was trying to make conversations other than the monotone how are you doing exchange, but because he– they didn't know about my admission to a boy's school, my disguise, and whatever ensued.

That night when I burst home abruptly to their surprised,both were confused and interrogated me a lot.

The only explanation I could give as to why I was home at that hour and without my luggage was that we were on a mid semester break and advised not to take  our stuffs along because the break was only short.

Even so, my uncle didn't look convinced but didn't press it. Though I had pulled off the wig to make myself recognizable, his eyes portrayed all the questions he had wanted to ask— why I was clad in baggy trousers and XL shirts.

As for Auntie, she couldn't care less. She had already concluded I had zero fashion sense.
What mattered to her was that I was back to shoulder the house work.

Auntie had already told him I attended Oxford university and so I didn't really have a choice than to keep up with the lying. I felt bad about that.

"Ow did I...hit a sensitive topic?"Uncle asked carefully, cutting through my reverie.

I blinked, shaking my head.

"Oh,uh n–no. I mean, yeah, I made friends, lots of them."

  "That's nice. Hope you had a good time?"

"Y-yes please,"I nodded, turning off the faucet before leaving the utensils on the rack to dry.

He took a large gulp from his bottle.

"When did you say you'll be going back?"

"Um,n–next week,"I made up, sweating profusely.

"Okay,"he was walking out of the kitchen but stopped at the doorway,"make a list of what you'll need. I heard she already paid for your fees so let me know the other things you'll require; provisions, personal items and some money for your upkeep."

"Thank you, uncle."

"No need. It's my responsibility."

"I'm sorry for the way my wife has been treating you. I never realized and I'm indeed sorry. I owe you one... I've literally failed in being the father figure in your life. I admit I've been too stuck up at work, I've made little contributions to your upbringing. I might be late but I'm ready to make amends if you'll let me."

I didn't know what to say so I stared at my fingers.

"Sam. From now onwards, I promise to make time for you. Even if I'm away,we can still communicate via the phone. I want you to feel free to talk to me about whatever bothers you, be it school stuff or adolescent challenges. Consider me as your uncle, father, older brother, friend, confidant."

I reciprocated his smile, nodding in agreement at his words.

I could never see him as my father but maybe I could try confiding in him.

Before I could express my gratitude, Auntie appeared, clutching her phone at her ear as her eyes searched for me.

  "Sam,"she flickered from me to her husband then cleared her throat,"do you by any means know anyone called Mr. Fordham?"

Dun,Dun,Dunn.

Come again??
I felt like I'd been splashed with cold water.

They had called. The authorities of the school, and they wanted to speak to me.

Yes, I'm dead.

"Put it on speaker,"she thrusted the phone at me, confusion lines settling on her forehead as she did.

"What's going on?" Uncle asked no one in particular.

I held my breath, putting the phone over my ear after making sure it was on speaker.

"H– hello?"

"Yeah. Am I speaking to Sam Lewis?"the distinct but clear voice of the headmaster asked.

I was very tempted to say no.

    "Y– yes,sir ?"

"Right. How are you doing, Sam?"

I didn't trust myself to answer coz I figured it was rhetorical. Saying I'm fine will be a big lie.

"Look, I wouldn't like to discuss this over the phone so preferably we'll need you to head back here– at our noble premises tomorrow morning. We've got news for you."

You can run but you cannot hide. Why did I even think I could get away with it? That I could run and abandon everything and forget my disguise life ever happened?—

"hello? Sam? You still there?"

I felt the sharp jab of my aunt's elbow on my stomach, whisking me out of my daydream quickly.

"Answer him you twerp! And let me know what the hell is going on here."

I closed my eyes, exhaling. "Hello Mr. Fordham. Sorry, I might have zoned out a bit."

  "Alright,"he reiterated his words and added,"and please, do come. Don't panic or anything,we need to right some wrongs. When coming, come along with your aunt, your guardians. We'll be expecting you at 9AM prompt."

       ________________________________

Thanks for reading!

What do you reckon is going to happen next? Any guesses?

**Please vote, comment and share to your Wattpad friends if you like the story**

Next update: soon.❤️

~ Ford.😌

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.2K 222 33
𝙒𝙝𝙖𝙩 𝙬𝙤𝙪𝙡𝙙 𝙮𝙤𝙪 𝙙𝙤 𝙞𝙛 𝙮𝙤𝙪 𝙛𝙚𝙡𝙡 𝙞𝙣𝙩𝙤 𝙖 𝙘𝙤𝙢𝙖 𝙖𝙣𝙙 𝙬𝙤𝙠𝙚 𝙪𝙥 𝙛𝙚𝙚𝙡𝙞𝙣𝙜 𝙗𝙚𝙩𝙧𝙖𝙮𝙚𝙙 𝙗𝙮 𝙚𝙫𝙚𝙧𝙮𝙤𝙣𝙚...
15 1 15
i wrote this story a decade ago when I was still in college. A girl named Sam whose family alwags is moving fromnplace to place looking for the right...
267K 9.8K 18
My dad kept on telling me that being a nerd isn't a bad thing and that I'm on the right track but I'm positive that being terrorized in the halls dai...
6.9K 180 30
"Do you really love me?" What happens when an introverted girl meets one of the most popular guys in school? Nothing good, let me tell you that. She'...