The Anthem Force Chronicles

By hollyorange

Being a teenager is hard enough. Try balancing friends, school, and crushes all while saving the world on the... More

"Not all of us can fly you know."
"Suprised to see me Ice Queen?"
"Best Two Out of Three?"
"A bad guy? What are we five?"
"I'm no damsel."
"Dang you're heavy."
"I don't avoid crime, I go looking for it."
"Feisty. I like it."
"Show Off"
"The Stone of Crouton"
"Really not such a bad guy."
"Completely powerless"
"Everything's Just Great."
"It was supposed to be simple"
"Potatoes tomatoes"
"If anything become the hero"
"Something was seriously wrong"
"This is your esteemed hero"
"Did we win?"
"No more levitating Dante"
"Once again to save the day"
Tournament of Heroes- Volume II
Chapter 1- Tournament of Heroes
Chapter 2- Tournament of Heroes
Chapter 3- Tournament of Heroes
Chapter 4- Tournament of Heroes
Chapter 5- Tournament of Heroes
Chapter 6- Tournament of Heroes
Chapter 7- Tournament of Heroes
Chapter 8- Tournament of Heroes
Chapter 9- Tournament of Heroes
Chapter 10- Tournament of Heroes
Chapter 11- Tournament of Heroes
Chapter 12- Tournament of Heroes
Chapter 13- Tournament of Heroes
Chapter 14- Tournament of Heroes
Chapter 15- Tournament of Heroes
Chapter 16- Tournament of Heroes
Chapter 17- Tournament of Heroes
Chapter 18- Tournament of Heroes
Hero Rising - Volume lll
New Beginnings
Blast from the Past.
Old Acquaintances
Ignition
Revelations
Rally
Conquest
Nightmares
Journey
Break Down
Perfect
Insight
Flashpoint
Homefront
War
No Man's Land
Endgame
Go!
Legacies - Volume lV
Graduation Day
Of Monsters and Men
New Kid in Town
Family Ties
X
Down to Business
Date Night
The Hunt
Divide and Conquer
Infiltrators
New Moon
The Gala
Damaged
Betrayal
True Colors
Secrets
The Reckoning
Acme
The Big Bad
Epilogue

The Calm Before the Storm

3.6K 212 32
By hollyorange

“Something eating you Sparky?” I call out as I pull up to the curb in East Anthem.  It’s nicer around here, townhouses replace apartments and trimmed gardens line every sidewalk. You could almost believe that Anthem Force isn’t a place plagued with excessive crime rates and loony super villains.

Keith is leaning against the porch, sending small shocks back and forth between his palms the way some people may twiddle their thumbs. He wears a black t-shirt and ragged looking jeans. It’s odd seeing him in civvies when I’m so used to our official Anthem Force uniform.

“What are you doing here?” Keith makes a face as I walk over and plop myself next to him.

“You’ve missed two training days in a row and haven’t answered any calls. So what’s the deal?”

Keith turns his back to me, burying his face into his chest. “I don’t want to talk about it.”

I sigh. Keith isn’t exactly a model of good behavior but at least he usually shows up to trainings. Playing hooky is a stretch, even for him. “Sure you don’t but I need an explanation.”

Keith shoots up from the stoop, turning to glare at me. For a moment my breath catches in the back of my throat. Keith looks… different. It’s the way he holds himself. All his cockiness, his confidence is stripped away. The anger is still there but there’s also something else, Keith looks vulnerable.

He says, “Why do you even care? Why would you care about me? I’ve been a jerk to you ever since I joined the team.” 

Isn’t it sort of obvious? Keith’s apart of my team but even more then that he’s my friend- well most of times. Even though he’s a pain in the butt I do care for him. It’s funny like that sometimes. There are people in our lives who aggravate us to no end but we care for them regardless. “Because Keith, we’re teammates and that means we’re here for each other through thick and thin, in good times and bad, in sickness and in health-.”

Keith interrupts me, “Okay, okay if I tell you will you just shut up? It’s not like we’re getting married.”

I grin and pat the seat next to me. “Deal.”

“So do you know a superhero by the name of Tempo?”

I rack my brain for a face to match the name. Instantly, I think of a well-known speedster on the Ultraleague. He’s a big hero, well not Luke big, but pretty famous in his own right. Tall, shaggy dark brown hair, and hazel eyes that made all the girls swoon. “Yah, what about him.”

Keith sighs. “Well he’s my brother Liam.”

And then I see it. The similar crook of their noses, the crease in their eyes. How had I not seen it sooner? “Wow Keith you’re brother’s an Ultraleague member? That must be awesome!”

Keith leans back on the stoop and lets out a low chuckle. “You’d think right? Who wouldn’t want to be related to the perfect in every way Tempo? It’s so awesome having my parents compare everything I do to him. I mean I helped save the entire city last week but then Liam has to go and save the planet.”

And then it clicks. Keith is living in his older brother’s shadow. I know plenty of kids who always feel like they have to live up to their siblings reputations but that’s a lot harder when your older brother is a real live superhero. “So he made it to the Ultraleague, so what? It’s not that big a deal I mean they almost let me on the team for crying out loud,” I say.”

Keith raises an eyebrow like I might be crazy but I’m not finished. “He’s done some great things but so have you Keith and your story’s not finished. You can be anything you want to be.”

“Whatever,” Keith shrugs as if he’s too cool for a good heartfelt conversation. But then his eyes soften for a moment and I don’t see him as the cocky little kid who won’t listen to an order. I see him as what he can be. My mind flashes to visions of Keith in his full potential, as a role model, a hero. “Thanks Dante,” he says.

“Don’t mention it and you better not miss training again or I’m going to kick your butt,” I smile.

The change in Keith is instant. His edge comes rushing back, the snap in his eyes, the smug grin, he’s back to his usual self and part of me is glad. Keith is far from charming but I wouldn’t want him any other way. “I’d like to see you try Anthem Girl- and aren’t you a little old to keep calling yourself a ‘girl’ anyways? What are you, five?”

“Hey I’m only nineteen,” I grin, “And besides, it has a nice ring to it.”

“Whatever you say boss.”

Boss? Usually Andy only calls me that and although I’m not opposed to the nickname I never imagined I’d hear it out of Keith’s mouth.

Maybe things are finally looking up.

“No, no why is this happening,” I say as I pound my head into the steering wheel.

From the passenger seat Radley gives me a look but doesn’t say anything. I think I might have scared him off.

“It’s just that no matter where I go in my superhero career it always comes back to this stupid bridge,” I explain. Radley manages an easy smile and nods. He’s totally not buying it.

A few days after my talk with Keith I get a distress call during the middle of an English test. Explaining to my teacher why I had to suddenly leave and handling all my classmate’s stares was the easy part, trying to comprehend that once again the Anthem City bridge was in peril was not.

Seriously though, it had already been exploded and crumpled into Anthem Bay, rebuilt, and now it was currently on fire. A part of the dreaded countdown no doubt. The whole thing left an uneasy feeling in my stomach. I didn’t trust Vigor and he was just going to keep destroying things. Today is number “2” in the countdown so if we don’t stop him the grand finale will be next. Something tells me if that happens Anthem will never be the same.

“You’re speeding again Dante,” Radley says as he eyes our speed.

Driving fast is a bad habit I must have picked up from Brian but when people’s life’s are on the line you tend to skip over the rules of the road. I really need a police siren or something. Reluctantly, I step off the gas.

I can already feel my heart beat as I drive up to the Anthem City Bridge. There’s fire running down the sides of the bridge, traffic is held up, and people seem like they’re about to panic. Looks like its time for some superhero action.

I swerve into a an empty parking spot and Radley and I jump out of the car and begin springing towards the fire.

“Andy, Keith, what’s your position,” I say into my radio piece.

People begin to clear out of the way as I run. Anthem Force has gained back some of it’s reputation, they finally trust us again to save the day.

“I’m coming in now,” Andy says.

“Beat you there,” adds Keith.

Two dark dots zoom in from the horizon. They get closer and closer until my two teammates are standing in front of me. Andy touches down first.

“Beat you,” she says as she sticks out her tongue.

“You had a head start,” Keith whines. A stray spark runs down his arm.

“Come on guys, focus. ” I say. Quickly, I scan the scene in front of us. Civilians are running from the flames, a few support beams seam to be crumbling, and Vigor is nowhere in sight. “Okay Keith I need you to go fly down and seal up the support beams with some lightning, Andy and Radley start helping the citizens. Everyone look out for Vigor. Got it?”

My team all nod once in unison.  For the first time they actually look just that, a team.

“Good. Anthem Force go!”

They wall spring into action. Keith flies down to one of the supporters, which has been cracked in half, and begins repairing it using his electricity. Andy zooms off and picks a car up with ease, allowing the rest of traffic to go through. Radley transforms and begins helping people who are stuck in the wreckage. The flames are being taken care of by the fire department.

And after taking this all in I run foreword to get in on the action.

It takes a good hour to put out all the flames and another until the congestion on the bridge is finally cleared up. Although Vigor was no where to be found one thing was obvious, my team did good work.

They stood in an awkward little huddle, obviously camera shy, as citizens snapped pictures and cheered them on. It was like all those months of being the loser team were over and suddenly the city loved us again. It was just like the good olds days.

Keith was a glutton for the attention, showing off with random bursts of lightning. After a while Andy joins in too and demonstrates her ability to lift a car over her head with ease. Even Radley manages an uneasy smile.

I can’t help but laugh as a couple of fan girls throw themselves at him. Radley blushes, adjusts his glasses, but eventually lights up. People finally seem to have gotten used to his inner monster.

All is good, or at least it looks that way. The countdown is still on. The city is under attack. And Vigor is still out for revenge. As leader, it’s my job to remember this.

I touch my earpiece and message my team over the radio, “Good work today guys. Enjoy your victory.”

And with that I pull up my hoodie, slip through the crowd, and make my way home.

When I finally reach my apartment I collapse onto the bed, my muscles sore from pulling people out of burning cars and jumping over debris. I’m getting to old for this…

Although, on the contrary, I finally feel a lot better then I have in a long time. I’ve gotten in better shape from training with my team. My injuries from my accident still ache but I’ve gotten used to zoning them out. I’m not perfect but it’s a start.

Lexi isn’t home but she left a note telling me to meet her at a local club if I’m feeling up to it. I’m not but I appreciate the offer. Apart of me almost expects to see David spread out on my bed but that’s a negative too.

I’ve gotten used to David. It amazes me how easily he’s managed to melt back into m life. I’ve come to lean on him again to the point how I ever wonder I did without all these years.

With David it’s just easy.

Okay Dante snap out of it, I tell myself, you’re not going to sit here staring at your ceiling daydreaming of David no less.

David and me. Nightshade and Anthem Girl. I remember once so long ago I had met him up on a rooftop. Of course he was a bad guy back then so I tried to kick his butt but still, good times.

But even that is only a distant memory now.

David and I are just friends, even if everyone else insists on telling me otherwise.

I jerk suddenly when my telephone rings, breaking the silence that accompanies my thoughts. I quickly tumble off the bed, onto the floor, and manage to pick the phone off the receiver with one hand.

“Hello,” I say as I sit back up and lean against the wall. Somewhere deep inside me is hoping that it’s David calling, asking me to go get ice cream or accompany him on some late night patrol.

But instead it’s a girl’s voice. “Dante, hey it’s me.”

My heart suddenly drops. I recognize that voice despite the fact I haven’t heard it in five years. Despite the fact no one has heard it since she quit the team.

Alex. 

..

...

...

Author's Note: As you may have been able to tell from the title the final battle is on it's way. I'd love to hear some feedback, thoughts. Thanks for reading!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.4K 292 96
TRIGGER WARNINGS: - Descriptions of graphic blood and gore - Strong language - Sexual themes - Descriptions of physical and psychological torture - T...
91 18 8
While Stephanie Walker deals with an unscrupulous overzealous rivals attempts to discredit the "vigilantes" as "dangerous Menaces" to the city. The H...
135K 7K 37
**A Wattpad Featured Story** Kenna Jones isn't a Superhero, and she wants to keep it that way. Though her brother, Sebastien, is a star member of the...
51.8K 2.8K 24
Every city has its claim to fame and for the city of Cytropolis it's their superheroes. But unlike the cities of Gotham and Central City, this isn't...