Re: Who needs a prince when y...

By Mykheihei

Aside from being a typical mundane and boring adult, she had nothing going for her. Except for her vast colle... More

Chapter One: A schemer is born
Chapter Two: The schemer does not want love
Chapter Three: The schemer and the target
Chapter Four: The schemer is in trouble
Chapter Five: The schemer lives for another day
Chapter Six: The schemer's embarrassment, friend and hair
Chapter Seven: The schemer MAY be sent to the guillotine
Chapter Eight: The Schemer's decision
Chapter Nine: The schemer hates shoujo
Chapter Ten: Could the schemer be a glitch?
Chapter Eleven: The Schemer has a mission
Chapter Twelve: The schemer begins
Chapter Thirteen: The Schemer is at the academy
Chapter Fourteen: The Schemer in a Dilemma
Chapter Fifteen: The Schemer's observations
Chapter Sixteen: The Schemer goes to shop
Chapter Seventeen: The Schemer, the tangerine and the wolf
Chapter Eighteen: Can a schemer have propriety?
Chapter Nineteen: The schemer, crossroads and Matrix
Chapter Twenty-One: Another headache for the schemer
Chapter Twenty-two: There's no such thing as omegaverse in a schemer's mark
Chapter Twenty-Three: For survival, a schemer has to make a deal
Chapter Twenty-four: The schemer as a love guru
Chapter Twenty-five: The schemer on the context of jealousy
Chapter Twenty-six: Could the schemer be in another argument?
Chapter Twenty-Seven: The schemer in manipulations and lilies
Chapter Twenty-eight: What does a schemer wear to a soiree?
Chapter Twenty-nine: The schemer should have eaten the croissant
Chapter Thirty: The schemer and the stages of being kidnapped
Chapter Thirty-one: How long before the schemer passes out?
Chapter Thirty-Two: How much is the schemer even worth anyway?
Chapter Thirty-Three: A schemer with a mage that does not lose his light
Chapter Thirty-Four: A schemer at a loss
Chapter Thirty-Five: Offering a hand to the schemer
Chapter Thirty-six: The schemer and interrupted thoughts
Chapter Thirty-Seven: The Schemer in a momentum of awkwardness
Chapter Thirty-eight: The irrationality of a schemer's environment
Chapter Thirty-nine: A schemer in causality's laws
Chapter Forty: Just a schemer in confusion

Chapter Twenty: The schemer on emotions and handkerchiefs

821 51 13
By Mykheihei

And just like that, my eyes opened to four years later.

Just kidding.

But it did seem like it was four years later given how haggard the appearance of the person in front of me had. Why four years? Beats me. I simply just came to from a coma. People tend to have their minds jumbled after doing so.

"You're awake!"

The one to witness my dramatic eye opening was my brother, Myron. His dark brown locks fell messily on his face as if he had not even had the time nor the care to fix his appearance. "Oh, Cella. Finally you're awake." His hands were trembling as he caressed my face. "Martinique! Please fetch the doctor."

He looked extremely distressed and as I scanned my gaze around the room, I noticed that Martinique was there who also looked distraught. She stared at me in relief and nodded at Myron, before running outside to get the physician.

My gaze trailed on Martinique's disappearing figure before looking back at my brother. There was silence between us and I felt as if I had to break that. However, as I was about to utter a word, I noticed that tears are starting to well up in his eyes. His face looked as if he was trying his hardest to keep them from falling.

"Myron?"

He pursed his lips stubbornly, afraid that if he uttered a word, the tears may just come crashing down.

I sighed. "Hey, are you okay?"

Finally, he whispered ever so softly. "I-is it okay if your brother cries?"

I gave him a gentle smile and opened my arms to invite him for a hug. "I do not see a reason as to why not."

He sniffed and looked at me, hesitating whether he should go for a hug. "I do not want to be soft."

"Does that mean you think I am soft whenever I cry?"

He shook his head hurriedly. "No! I . . . It's just, I am a boy. I'm your older brother. I should be strong and stoic like father and Augustus. Crying is not-"

Without letting him finish, I tackled him into a bear hug. "Oh, Myron. Crying does not make you less of a man." I whispered. "Being strong can be expressed in many ways. If anything, I think you are brave for showing me your emotions."

I paused to stare at him and patted his head. "So, brother, it is okay to cry. You are human and you can feel. That's just what it is- there's neither male nor female when it comes to emotions."

I felt Myron's body relax as he finally accepted my hug. His warm tears dripped on my shoulder and I lightly smoothed his hair as he sobbed even more.

This sudden outburst of Myron was unexpected yet I understood it. In a strict patriarchal society as this game's setting, men were usually devoid of "weak" emotions. They must always be stoic and crying was viewed as something that was feminine. I could not even remember an instance in the game where a capture target shed tears. Even in the bad ending routes where the supposed female lead dies, they just kept a face that was sorrowful but never to the point of crying.

Myron must have felt the pressure of keeping up with his older role models- father and Augustus. Both of them were too calm and collected- never ones to be swayed by emotions. This must be the reason that even when my mother knew had enough charm and allure to make the Duke look her way and even got him to marry her, she never really pushed beyond the boundary that he set. My mother, even with her craftiness, knew that the Duke was not a man to be bound by feelings. Sure, he could fancy a woman but he will never surrender what was beyond his stoic façade to just anyone- his wives included. Augustus, being the heir-in-training, seemed to be the same way and I could not help but sigh.

After what seemed to be an eternity of Myron crushing me into a hug and almost breaking my ribs in the process, Martinique finally arrived with the physician. My brother finally let me go and let the doctor do his job.

Standard questions like how I am or if I felt any pain was asked by the doctor. I answered him as honestly as I could. The only thing I left out was my weird dream.

As the doctor continued to check my vitals, I noticed four heads peeping out from the small crack in the doorway.

Perhaps sensing the guests, Martinique asked. "Shall I let them in, Lady Marcella?"

I nodded at her.

Myron muttered in exasperation. "Must they?"

Ignoring Myron's protest, I spoke up. "Please let them in, Martinique."

She acceded and went to open the door fully. Like a dam that was riddled with holes, my guests came crashing through. Apparently, they were all huddled near the door so when Martinique opened it up, they all fell down.

"Ow!" Viveca was the first to complain. "I told you not to stick so closely! I almost broke a nail."

"Gee, Viveca, stop complaining when your heavy arse is what's crushing us!" Cedric groaned in annoyance as he struggled to stand up from the clustered group.

"You're not one to talk, idiot. Get off me!" Matthias grumbled. "Your leg is crushing my entire being."

They all looked so uncomfortable piled atop each other, but who probably seems to be the most pitiful was Jamie who was squashed like tangerine in a hydraulic press. Only his muffled groans can be heard as his entire body was face planted on the floor.

"Can you please get off of each other! Jamie looks as if he is about to die," I concernedly said.

After a series of groans and complaints, they finally untangled themselves from each other.

I exhaled and looked back at the doctor. "Are we done?"

The doctor, a scraggly old man with a warm disposition like a kind grandpa, gave me a nod and smiled. "There are no major injuries on you and you seem to be perfectly fine. Although, something concerns me a bit."

Before I could even speak, it was Cedric who responded. "What do you mean? Is she dying? I swear I would kill that wolf basta-"

Viveca covered his mouth and glared at him. "Can you shut up and let the old man finish?"

Oh, Viveca. Thank you for stopping Cedric but calling the doctor an old man straightforwardly is still . . .

The doctor who heard her words just smoothly laughed. "Ah, yes. This old man would like to ask if the bite was done by a beast man. His Royal Highness just confirmed my suspicions."

This time, it was Matthias who spoke up. "Old man, did he just mark her?"

Please stop calling the doctor an old man, I facepalmed.

"I think so. There seems to be a faint mark of a beast forming on the shoulder that was bit." The doctor mused. "We would have to wait for a few more days to be sure."

"My sister being marked by a beast," Myron clicked his tongue. "Someone is begging to meet my sword today."

I held Myron's wrist and shook my head. "Please don't let this escalate."

"But, being marked is a-"

"Brother," I sternly said. "We will talk about this later. "

He crossed his arms grumpily. "Fine. But I will talk with Augustus regarding this. I will be back later, Cella. Please rest well." He motioned to the doctor. "Please follow me, Mr. Doctor. I will have you explain the situation to my elder brother."

Hurriedly fixing his things, the doctor quickly followed after Myron who was walking so fast that he seemed as if he was running.

"Now," I stared at the remaining people in the room. "Martinique, can I ask you to please prepare refreshments for the guests?"

She nodded and left.

As soon as she went away, Viveca came running to where I was. With her arms akimbo, she pouted. "Your heroic complex is just annoying."

"Were you worried?" I grinned. Her face looks as if she was trying to put up a stubborn front but if you stare closely, hints of worry betrayed her expression. I could not help but find her adorable.

"Hmph. I was merely concerned that my rival will just die without even putting up a fight," she insisted. I laughed inwardly and thought that she was just a tsundere.

Cedric rudely interrupted our conversation by shoving Viveca out of the way. Viveca looked mad but seeing as it was Cedric who did that, she patiently kept her emotions in.

His Royal Brat was glaring daggers at me. "Why did you have to save me? I was doing just fine against the wolf bast-"

"Cedric!" I cut him off. "I did it because I felt responsible for bringing you to the town. I did what I had to do."

"Still-"

"Besides, you were absolutely not doing fine. He was about to pummel you to the ground, you know," I said.

"I was not!" He huffed indignantly. "I could take him on any day."

Someone snorted. "As if. If my bride didn't step in, you would be a goner now." Matthias then laughed in contempt.

"Oh yeah? Then what were you doing, you stupid mage?" Cedric retorted. "You could have just magicked him away from me, but you didn't. If I didn't know any better, I'd say that you were even enjoying the scene."

"Hm? Took you long enough to notice."

Cedric's face was beet red. "This is an act of treason against the prince! I will have you arrested!"

"Oh please. This is simply childish banter. Even my bride knows that."

"Stop calling her your bride!" Cedric roared.

I had to pinch the middle of my forehead because their constant bickering was seriously giving me migraines. I just woke up and this is what I get. Great.

"A-are you okay?" A soothing voice asked.

I stared at Jamie who was genuinely concerned at my state. Out of all the people here, his expression was the most transparent and I could sense his endless worrying under his soft purple gaze. Ignoring the other people who were squabbling and Viveca who apparently joined in, I answered Jamie. "Yes, I'm quite alright. Well, at least I can still manage staying up albeit the mess around me."

Jamie stood by side of my bed. "I am sorry if we are disturbing you."

I beamed at him. "You are not being a disturbance at all. But the others . . . " My voice trailed off as I scrutinized behind Jamie's back where three people continued to argue. I looked at Jamie again and noticed that he had a small scratch on the side of his cheek. It probably resulted from the facedown pile fiasco that happened a while ago.

"You're hurt," I muttered and raised my hand to cup his face.

Jamie stiffened as I made contact with his skin. Suddenly, he was flushed. Oh boy, please don't let it be what I am thinking. Anyhow, crush or not, I still felt responsible for his injury. I picked up a clean towel that was placed on the bedside table and used it to clean his wound. He winced a bit but his gaze remained focused on me. Consequences will come, I know.

Jamie looked as if he was about to say something but Cedric, king of interrupting conversations, moaned as if he was in pain. "Ouch! I think I hurt myself too."

I stopped tending to Jamie and raised my eyebrow at Cedric. "Really now?"

His eyes glimmered at the sudden attention, betraying his allegedly hurt state. Then, he realized that he was performing as if he was supposedly injured, he resumed his act. "Yes! I think I scratched myself in my face too!"

I squinted my eyes at him. "I don't see anything."

"No, no! It's there. Look closer," He inched his self nearer to me, subconsciously pushing Jamie out of the way.

"And why are you showing it to me?" I asked him.

"Jamie got a handkerchief!" Cedric complained.

"I could give you one!" Viveca exclaimed.

"My bride gave me a handkerchief first!" Matthias triumphantly said.

"Jamie was hurt and that was a towel," I explained. "Also, Matthias, I expect you to clean that handkerchief and return it to me."

"Hm," Matthias thoughtfully said. "If I am not keeping the handkerchief, then I think I am hurt."

"What do you mean you're hurt?" I asked in frustration.

"I'm hurt and I need you to wipe my wound with a towel." Matthias explicated.

"Why am I the only one without a handkerchief? I am clearly hurt!" Cedric protested.

"I said I am giving you one!" Viveca cried out.

Oh heavens. This is so chaotic that it made me think whether my decision to stay here was for the best. The Matrix fooled me.

As the room was once again filled with their lively bickering, Martinique entered and cleared her throat. Silence followed as all eyes focused on her.

"Um, Lady Marcella. Someone's here to see you."

Please let it be a sane person who does not need a handkerchief.

--

A/N: 

Hey everyone! I am finally back after the very long and unexpected hiatus. Something happened to me and I really needed to take a break. If you are still here reading this even if with me taking so long to update, thanks for sticking by. This means a lot to me. I do hope you are all enjoying and see you guys, next chapter! I will try to do my weekly updates now since I owe you guys so much :)

Stay hydrated and stay safe! Love y'all!

Lovelots. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

618K 26.8K 66
I had reincarnated into Remis Xenith, the younger brother of the heroine, who died at the beginning of every route. In order to not interfere with t...
2.6K 293 111
тнe dιary lιғe oғ a vιllaιn, deмon queen wιтн тнe worldѕ ѕтrongeѕт нero тнaт ever вeen вorn and тнere ғrιendѕ. end ! ѕave! reѕтarт! conтaιn >da...
71.4K 3.8K 53
She was a child formed from the union between a highly successful and charming Chinese man and an intelligent and witty black woman. Although this un...
66.1K 1.9K 26
Picture this: I suddenly find myself in a medieval fantasy world, like the ones I used to gobble up in books. But here's the comical conundrum: I've...