Hidebound

Av Apagewithani

After a close call Hex is back on parole and Poppy couldn't be happier. The Darlings spend their time making... Mer

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter TwentyOne
Chapter TwentyTwo
Chapter TwentyThree
Chapter TwentyFour
Chapter TwentyFive
Chapter TwentySix
Chapter TwentySeven
Chapter TwentyEight
Chapter TwentyNine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter ThirtyOne
Chapter ThirtyTwo
Chapter ThirtyThree
Chapter ThirtyFour
Chapter ThirtyFive
Chapter ThirtySix
Chapter ThirtySeven
Chapter ThirtyEight
Chapter ThirtyNine
Chapter Forty
Chapter FortyOne
Chapter FortyTwo
Chapter FortyThree
Chapter FortyFour
Chapter FortyFive
Chapter FortySix
Chapter FortySeven
Chapter FortyEight
Chapter FortyNine
Chapter Fifty
Chapter FiftyOne
Chapter FiftyTwo
Chapter FiftyThree
Chapter FiftyFour
Chapter FiftyFive
Chapter FiftySix
Chapter FiftySeven
Chapter FiftyEight
Chapter FiftyNine
Chapter Sixty
Chapter SixtyOne
Chapter SixtyTwo
Chapter SixtyThree
Chapter SixtyFour
Chapter SixtyFive
Chapter SixtySix
Chapter SixtySeven
Chapter SixtyEight
Chapter SixtyNine
Chapter Seventy
Chapter SeventyOne
Chapter SeventyTwo
Chapter SeventyThree
Chapter SeventyFour
Chapter SeventyFive
Chapter SeventySix
Chapter SeventySeven
Chapter SeventyEight
Chapter SeventyNine
Chapter Eighty
Chapter EightyOne
Chapter EightyTwo
Chapter EightyThree
Chapter EightyFour
Chapter EightyFive
Chapter EightySix
Chapter EightySeven
Chapter EightyEight
Epilogue

Chapter Six

4.6K 176 7
Av Apagewithani

Hex arrives home as I am chopping vegetables with mum in the kitchen. I can hear his boots stomp along the floor, walking in our direction and I resist the urge to yell out about wearing his work boots inside but I can feel the slump in his mood before I even lay eyes on him so I don't say anything.

Mum had spent the day waiting by the phone for the government to call about a job available but the truth is that it could take a while which is understandable; she had been out of the work force for quite some time.

I expect Hex to go straight to our bedroom to shower and change out of his work clothes but he doesn't, instead he walks up behind both mum and I. Mum jumps when he places his hand on the kitchen island, the sound of his skin hitting the marble echos in the small room.

"Oh Hex, hello. How was work today?" Mum asks as she places the knife down and goes to Hex, placing a kiss on his cheek as a greeting. I turn to watch them as I pick up a carrot to peel. Hex doesn't even try to hide the dull look in his eyes as he greets mum back; it's so noticeable that even mum sees it.

I know it's because he knows Harley went to see Wyonna today and I wonder if anything further had happened. Had Harley called him afterwards? Had Wyonna gone downhill?

"It was good" Hex answers quietly. Mum looks between the two of us before the tension in the air makes her uncomfortable.

"I'll be in the lounge, call if you need me honey" she announces before making her departure. As soon as she rounds the corner Hex drops his bag on the ground and walks up to me. He takes the carrot and the peeler from my hands and places them on the counter while simultaneously gently moving the prepared food to the right with his forearm.

"You okay?" I whisper between us as he lifts me onto the counter and steps between my legs. His head comes to rest on my chest, just under my chin. My hands subconsciously go to the back of his head and hold him to me while playing with his dirty hair.

I hold him in silence as I wait for him to speak. I take his weight as he leans into me and I feel the tension leave his body from my touch.

"Did Harley have anything to say about mum today?" He asks quietly, his voice murmured by my skin. I press a kiss to the top of his head as what I had suspected was bothering him comes to light.

"No" I hush "she was a little quiet when she got back but she didn't say anything" I explain. Hex hums in his chest and tightens his arms around me. I don't even care that he's covered in all sorts of grime from the mechanic shop and that it's most likely getting all over me.

I can hear the muted noise of the TV from the next room over as mum watches it. Mum knows what is going on with Wyonna but I don't think Hex feels comfortable talking about her in front of mum; he doesn't even want to talk to his own sister about her.

"Maybe you should call her?" I suggest into his ear. I worry for a second that the suggestion might push him away but instead he pulls his head from my chest and looks at me, making eye contact.

"You think?" He rasps between us. I say nothing but nod. Hex doesn't move as I watch his eyes move around my face, almost like he's taking me in for the first time all over again. His eyes come back to mine and I can see the clear distress going on behind them. "Can you go with Harley next time?" He asks.

I haven't been going to see Wyonna because I had thought there might be a chance that Hex didn't want me to and I didn't want to over step any boundaries. Even though I adore Wyonna and had seen the progression of her dementia first hand, she's not my mother and I have to respect that.

"You want me to visit your mum?" I ask for confirmation.

"Yeah, if you don't mind" Hex answers "it'll make me feel better knowing you're there with Harley" he explains. I nod without any further words before leaning forward and pressing a kiss to his mouth. Hex kisses me back before patting my thigh and pulling away.

"I'll call Harley later, I'm going to have a shower" he says as he leaves me sat on the kitchen counter, walking in the direction of our bedroom, his boots stomping the entire way.

*

The doorbell sounds throughout the apartment just as we had sat down to eat. We all turn to look in the direction of the door before back at each other.

"Are we expecting anyone?" Hex asks both mum and I, to which we both shake our heads, no. "Fucking Charlie" Hex mumbles under his breath before getting up and going to the front door. I shovel another mouthful of food into my mouth.

"Poppy, wait for Hex" mum scolds me as she places her fork and knife down.

"Don't worry about it mum, he'd want you to keep eating" I reassure her and urge her to continue as she hesitantly picks up her fork again.

I can hear the greeting that Hex and Charlie share at the door before it closes again and Charlie rounds the corner, briefcase and all.

"Good evening Ms. Hart and Mrs. Hart" Charlie greets mum and I. I cringe when he addresses mum and watch from the corner of my eye as she winces but she covers it up quickly and I don't think Charlie noticed.

"Hi Charlie" I reply as I stand. I grab Hex's meal and take it into the kitchen to place in the microwave so that it stays warm while Charlie tests him. "Are you hungry Charlie? We've got extra" I ask as I reenter the connected dining and lounge room again.

"No thank you Ms. Hart, I'm going out to dinner later tonight" he explains.

"You can call me Poppy" I say but he ignores it as he places his briefcase down and opens it up while Hex takes a seat on the couch in front of him. "Dinner?" I question. It's very rare that Charlie opens up in front of us, or anyone to that extent.

I watch as the slightest bit of blush rises onto Charlie cheeks and I do my best to suppress my smile as I take a seat back at the table and continue eating.

"You got a lady, Charlie?" Hex teases him as he waits for Charlie to test him. A scowl takes over Charlie's face at the question.

"I've been with my wife for a number of years Mr. Rose, now go do this" Charlie gives Hex a small cup to pee into. I see the slight shock on Hex's face as he stands up and walks past us in the direction of the bathroom. He makes eye contact with me and I can see the 'what the fuck?' look in his eyes. We had no idea that Charlie had a wife.

We leave the conversation at that as it was obvious that Charlie was becoming irritated. Hex passes the mobile drug and alcohol test kits as expected while Charlie takes the cup of pee back to the lab to be tested. He leaves shortly after, sort of in a hurry and I wonder if he was late to meet his wife.

*

I wake to an empty bed in the middle of the night. I roll over to look at the bathroom door but there's no light illuminating from underneath so I know Hex isn't inside.

I can hear muted talking as I sit up in bed and I figure he's on the phone. Hex tends to pace outside the front door when he's on the phone, especially when he's upset.

Moments later I hear the front door open and close before its locked and Hex can be heard walking down the hallway. I slide down and lie on my side as I face the door, waiting for him to appear. He finally appears wearing only track pants and no shirt. He must be freezing.

He closes our bedroom door behind him and comes to lie beside me, facing me but not touching me.

"What were you doing?" I whisper, my voice cracking from sleep. He's silent for a moment as I feel his eyes tracing my features in the dark.

"Couldn't sleep" his voice is deep and husky showing that he had at one point been asleep but I also hear the undertone of anger in his tone. "I called Harley" he continues.

I swallow the lump in my throat, I had completely forgotten that he had promised to call Harley but I definitely didn't think he'd call her in the middle of the night. I can only hope she was still awake or woke to her ringing phone in a decent mood.

"What'd she say?" I ask, almost hesitantly. I don't know whether we should wait until the morning to have this conversation or if he wants to get it off his chest now but I offer the conversation starter to him anyway.

He rolls on to his back, looking at the ceiling while I'm looking at his side profile. He had kept the stubble that he had grown while in Hellbound and I'm very much a fan of it. The frown between his brows though, not so much.

His hands rub over his face in frustration.

"Hex?" I say, almost so quietly I don't think he heard me.

"She said mum forgot who we are" he says. I sit in silence and confusion. Hex had known that she forgets people and it had been happening for a long time.

"We already knew th-" he cuts me off.

"No" he grunts forcefully and I can feel his anger raising the temperature in the room "she forgot she ever had children, Poppy" I don't have the chance to say anything else as Hex rips the blankets off him and stands up abruptly. He walks to the bathroom and flips the light on as he leans over the sink, his muscled back ripples and his hands clench the basin tightly.

I say nothing as I sit up slightly and lean on my elbow, my eyes squinting at the bright light.

My mouth opens and closes multiple times, trying to find the words to comfort him but nothing comes to mind. I have to rub the skin over the top of my heart as it starts to ache seeing him in such a state.

"Fuck, baby!" Hex unexpectedly punches the basin. The noise is muted from the tough marble so I doubt it woke mum. I watch as he turns his back to the mirror and places both of his hands behind his head, his biceps moving every time he clenches his fists open and close.

The part that gets to me though is the crack in his voice as he spoke. The crack that proves his eyes hold tears while he tries his best at hiding them from me.

It makes my own eyes water and a lump grow in my throat.

"Come here" I say quietly, his back now facing me as he continues holding his hands to the back of his head. "Please" I plead as my own voice cracks.

Hex drops his hands and turns his face up towards the ceiling, trying to stop the tears from falling. He turns the bathroom light off and comes back to bed, my eyes not being able to see him or his face due to the change in lighting so suddenly.

I feel the bed dip as he sits and then he rolls on top of me, his body lying between my legs and his head burying into my neck as his arms encase me. I feel a tear connect with the skin of my neck as I press a kiss to the side of his head.

Fortsätt läs

Du kommer också att gilla

Will he Av tanz

Tonårsromaner

12.2K 272 46
Let's face it, We all have that one person who we secretly love, the person who's never going to know how much you care about them. The person who w...
1.8K 80 8
All Rights Reserved!!! BoyxBoy, Book Three of Prison Bait Series Lloyd knows that very definition of trouble but when someone new enters...
107K 7.8K 79
In the day-to-day trenches of high school, it is almost the default-setting to believe we are the main character of our own coming-of-age story. Thi...
69.5K 1.8K 22
Love comes in all forms, and the short story collection from some of our Wattpad Originals writers covers the full range of what love means. There a...