Blink

By DeepBlueInk

In a world that literally holds the remnant of humanity, 5 people, have been given the opportunity to save hu... More

Author's note
Chapter 0: Genesis
Chapter 1: The Grim whale.
Chapter 2: The stranger
Chapter 3: The Grimwhale's contest
Chapter 4: The Grimwhale's contest II
Chapter 5: The Guardian's creed.
Chapter 6: Blink.
Chapter 7: Aftermaths of the contest.
Chapter 8: An Unexpected Visitor.
Chapter 9: The Lights
Chapter 10: The Guardians.
Chapter 11: Shadow Writer.
Chapter 12: Many paths lead to mountain Green box's summit.
Chapter 13: Project Bravestar I.
Chapter 14: Project Bravestar II.
Chapter 15: Nobody is truly dead.
Chapter 17: Extraction II.
Chapter 18: Fire Girl.
Chapter 19: With great power, comes peace of mind.
Chapter 20: Back to school.
Chapter 21: Fake VS original
Chapter 22: Limits exist to be broken.
Chapter 23: "Your free trial has ended".
Chapter 24: The bout.
Chapter 25: The ghosts.
Chapter 26: The Red Fang Gang.
Chapter 27: Goodbye Private room 3.
Chapter 28: Port.
Chapter 29: Discord.
Chapter 30: People change when they are hurt.
Chapter 31: Birds of a feather flock together.
Chapter 32: A rocky start
Chapter 33: Another Encounter
Chapter 34: Echoes and Healing.

Chapter 16: Extraction I.

27 9 8
By DeepBlueInk

MICHAEL'S POV

"Do you know where you are Michael?" a man asked me. He wore a red coat that shone bright, hiding his face from me.

"Is it heaven?" I asked.

"I wish it was heaven, but it isn't. This a network of sorts, that a select living and dead, traverse." The man replied to me.

"So, am I dead?" I asked in fear of his response.

"No, you are not dead, not yet at least. But wouldn't it be fair to call those that converse with the dead, dead? Even if they are alive? Sleep is a death simulation after all" the man replied with a smile in his voice

"So, you are dead?" I asked the man in fear.

"Yes, I am, but isn't the state of being dead permanent in comparison to being alive?" The man said in a cheery tone.

"What is this place?" I asked the man.

"That is for the dead to know, and for the living to wonder" the man replied

"Mich-"

BEEP! BEEP! BEEP! Ryuuki's alarm clock rang, waking me up. I violently removed the alarm clock batteries and retired to my bed, but now I couldn't sleep. I had the same dream again, the dream I had been having since I got to the creed and as usual, it seemed more than a dream, was it a vision? Or a message? I wasn't sure.

"Why can't that bastard stop being philosophical and just tell me what's going on" I muttered to myself as I walked to the training arena.                                                                                                                    

On arrival to the creed, Ryuuki was assigned to me as my personal Guardian and thanks to Delai's suggestions, I was also made to share a room with Ryuuki, so we could "bond" and "respect our differences". My biggest issue with Ryuuki was his alarm clock, it never woke him up, but it always woke me up. Did I discuss it with him? Yes, I did, and he always agreed to stop using the alarm clock, but somehow, it always rang again at 4am.

So, there I was, walking to the training grounds as early as 4:30am because I couldn't sleep. "I should hide that alarm clock later this morning" I muttered as I walked into the training arena, and as usual, Ella was there sparring with Delai, or rather, getting beaten up by Delai.

"Hello Michael" Delai waved at me.

"Good morning Delai" I said weakly

"Don't tell me you are still angry at me for making you Ryuuki's roommate" Delai said with a mocking tone.

"You are definitely going to pay for that" I replied with a scornful tone.

"Why don't you do that right now, by sparring with me!" Delai said in a cheery tone.

"No thanks" I replied her with a calmer tone. I knew better than to spar with Delai. Something told me she was getting tired of beating Ella, and she needed something new to beat up.

I went on to jog around the training quarters, not because I wanted to but because the doctor of the creed, Ritchie, said exercise could activate my blink.

"Hey Michael, let's spar shall we?" I heard Ryuuki say behind me.

"Sure" I replied. I preferred the idea of sparring with Ryuuki in comparison to sparring with Delai, not because Ryuuki was weaker, but because Ryuuki was actually sparring to teach me, not to break me. Plus, he always seemed sleepy for some reason.

"I'm sorry but that is going to wait for a bit" Delai said with another girl beside her. What was her name? Was it Angela or Martha? I wasn't sure.

"For the hundredth time, my name is Tom!" the girl cut in, distracting my thoughts.

"Oh yeah, I'm sorry" I said to the girl.

"I'm still not used to this whole superhuman thingy, besides why is her name Tom?" I muttered to myself.

"Funny thing to say, considering you are one yourself and believe me, I hate that name as much as you do" Tom shot back.

"Well, before this gets messy, Beckett is calling and Vivian wants us all to be there" Delai said in a stern tone. "Ryuuki, she specifically requested your presence" Delai said to Ryuuki who was attempting to sneak to his room.

"But I'm sleepy" Ryuuki said in a grumpy tone.

"When are you not sleepy Ryuuki" Myloe said with a laugh from the room speakers.

Ryuuki responded by pointing his middle finger at the camera, while Delai and the others laughed.

We all walked to Vivian's office, where we were joined by Ritchie and Myloe. I could already hear the muffled tone of people conversing before Delai opened Vivian's door.

"Oh! that must be the newbie" I heard an unfamiliar voice say when I entered the room.

"Beckett, stop behaving like some fairy godmother, just because you are away for a while" Myloe said with a harsh tone.

"It seems these two hate each other" I muttered to myself.

"Precisely, but bro, it's fun to watch them fight, considering they are twins" Ryuuki said behind me.

"Tw- Twins!" I said in a voice that sounded louder than I expected it to be.

"I know, they look nothing alike right" Ella said beside me.

"Yes!" I replied

"Well, what side are you picking in the war Michael?" Delai said

"What?" I replied

"The war, between Myloe and Beckett," Ritchie said.

"Well, I don't know much about Beckett yet, so I'm neutral," I said.

"Well-spoken Michael, Well spoken. But when it's time, choose right" Ritchie said with a pat on my shoulder.

"Yeah-"

"Okay guys, enough of the side comments, Beckett tell them what you said again" Vivian cut in.

"Okay, the target did her first Blink this morning, and as you would expect, she is still confused and all. However, she did it in the presence of a camera, and as we all know Anti-blinks monitor all of the cameras in the school. So, there is a high probability that they would be coming to assassinate her soon" Beckett said.

"Based on the information Beckett has given us, I intend to mobilize Delai, Ryuuki and Michael as backup for the successful extraction of the target, you all leave today. Any questions?" Vivian said with a stern tone.

"Can I take a nap before we leave?" Ryuuki asked.

"No" Vivian shot back.

"Why am I going with them though? I can't fight that well, and I can't blink" I asked Vivian.

"Well, it's for experience and to see if it could activate your blink. Ritchie here thinks that real-life combat could push your body to blink" Vivian said

"More like a near-death experience" Myloe whispered behind me, causing muffled laughter from Delai.

"Plus, if you are worried about the Anti-blinks knowing you are alive, Ritchie would make a mask for you, and Myloe would give you a voice changer." Vivian added with a stern glare at Myloe.

"Okay, thanks-"

"Any other questions?" Vivian asked

"Can we use the target to blink here?" Delai asked.

"No, you must not, it's too risky for her health" Vivian replied her.

"Okay, understood" Delai said in response.

"I hope the sniper dude shows up though" I heard Ryuuki mutter.

"Yeah... before I forget, no unnecessary fights Ryuuki" Vivian said with a stern tone.

"Understood" Ryuuki said with a mocking salute.

We all left the room in silence, but I still had many questions, what was this "blink thing" like? Why couldn't I really blink? And most of all, who was that dude from my dreams?

.

.

.

.

Who do you think the man from the dream is? What side of the "war" do you choose? Keep those comments coming in!

Also, if you loved this chapter, consider voting for it (by clicking on that little star)

Thanks for reading!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

376 31 21
What if everything that was perfect in your life started to crumble...("Its your grandma...Her health is getting worst") What if you were told that o...
Ended By Decrepit Soul

Science Fiction

361 20 21
I am dying. I know this because i can feel all my senses leaving me. I can see flashes, recollections, of my past. They preen at me through my lashes...
685 126 24
<COMPLETED> Fasten your seatbelts, towards the journey of mixed emotions... They say life is hard. Yes, it is. But can you imagine how hard it...
574 30 28
I have restarted this book. I wanted to make it easier to read and more enjoyable. I hope to make shorter chapters and update frequently. :) In the b...