HEJ, MY LOVE

By AmariOkito

PART II OF SIERRA'S LEONE What is love? If someone asked Sierra and Jonas, they would say: It's a bet. After... More

HEJ
NAME IT
HALMSTAD
HIS FAMILY
HER CONFESSION
THE TREE
COFFEE PROPOSAL
PARLE MOI D'AMOUR
HEJ DÅ
NO REGRETS
F.R.I.E.N.D.S
PAPERWORK
PEOPLE
RING IT
HIS CONFESSION
SIX MONTHS TO FOREVER
RUT
MR AND MRS POTSMANN
HONEYMOON
ABORT MISSION
BODY
TO BODY
SUSPICIOUS
SPIES
STRAYED
STRANGER EYES
WOKE
SYMPTOMS
THERE
NEW STARTER
ASSIGNED TO RESIDENCE
FOR YOU
GUESTROOM
HIS ADVICE
KISS OF DEATH
REALITY
THE BLAME GAME
ANOTHER DAY
GOD'S PLAN
ONE PIECE
ERIK
HIS WIFE
HER HUSBAND
BLAZE
SPIDER WEB
TRAP
THAT DAY
BUMPER CARS
PLAY POSSUM
DOG LIFE
MIRACLE
ALL IS FAIR...
HOME
SCANDAL
TESTIMONY
HER BUMP
DOG DAZE
RAINBOWS
THEIR FAMILY
SUMMERTIME

GOD JUL!*

301 30 1
By AmariOkito

*Merry Christmas!

Sierra never imagined she would spend the end of the year festivities somewhere other than in France. It was the first Christmas without Jacob, and the woman felt a considerable dose of melancholia as she looked out of the window.

She and Jacob had never spent Christmas apart. Even as adults, they met weekly. The pastor endorsed many roles in the woman's life, and it wasn't easy to live without knowing him near.

Jonas was there, but for Sierra, her husband could not compensate for Jacob's absence and vice versa.

The streets were already lit though it was early. The Swedish winter was harsh for someone as sensitive to sunlight as Sierra. Her pregnancy didn't arrange things as her humor was a constant yoyo she tried to tame.

There, she contemplated the decorations. The Swedish didn't neglect the festivities. Sierra discovered the many traditions the swedes followed. From Julskyltningen, where stores set up their Christmas windows with enchanting cheery decorations, St Lucy, where women paraded with white dresses and a crown of candles to commemorate Lucy of Syracuse, who brought food to Christians in the Roman catacombs. She wore candles on her head, so her hands were free to carry as much food as possible.

Sierra also got a good dose of Kalle Anka och Hans Vänner Önskar God Jul [from us to you], a Disney Christmas show that bundles everyone's favorite characters. The broadcasting tradition that began in the 1960s was still a must-see show; thus, Sierra rewatched all her Disney classics, from Fantasia to Sleeping Beauty, throughout the month.

"Are you ready?" Jonas said as his hands slid around his wife's waist. The father-to-be was on cloud nine since Sierra told him she was pregnant. The perspective of having another child with Sierra filled the man with such joy none of his reactions did his emotions justice. Jonas wished to scream it from every rooftop but held back.

It seemed his wife, and he didn't share the same level of euphoria. Sierra refrained from showing any signs of excitement. Again, it wasn't like she was out of character. Sierra was a collected woman. Jonas put her lack of enthusiasm on account of the first trimester. The period was challenging for Sierra, who experienced almost all of the much-dreaded sequences.

Nausea, sleepless nights, aversion to smells and foods, rare were the moments where she could rest, and when she did, something always came up, yet she didn't complain nor displayed signs of frustration.

With Sierra, Jonas saw how it was to be with someone resembling him. He, too, wasn't one to make noise or bicker. Hence the already observant man doubled up on the attention.

"Yes, I'm ready," Sierra said and turned to face him. There was no bump yet, but Sierra's plumped face betrayed a slight weight gain.

The couple had tacitly agreed to remain silent concerning her pregnancy until the end of the first trimester. Their behavior was typical; many couples did the same as the first trimester was the riskiest, and many complications could occur. Most couples chose to keep quiet to avoid getting family and friends excited.

Jonas kissed the tip of her nose, and Sierra went to put Leone's and her coat.

Though his parent's house was close, Jonas took his car. The weather was too cold for Sierra, and Jonas didn't want to tire her with bike riding.

"What will we do if someone notices?" The woman asked during the short ride.

Sierra worried. She had a weird feeling that things wouldn't go as expected.

Jonas turned to face her "we'll improvise."

They got out of the car, Jonas took Leone, and Rufus led the way to Sierra's in-laws' house.

"Ready?" Jonas asked as they stood on the doorstep.

"I'm good; I'm just a little overwhelmed. I have the impression everyone can tell I'm pregnant. I'm ridiculous."

"You're not."

Sierra sighed, "I just hope I behave myself and don't vomit everywhere."

Jonas smiled, "I hope so too. We'll leave if you're not feeling well."

"Nana," Leone yelled, and Rufus barked.

"At least there's an enthusiastic troop among us."

Jonas rang the bell.

"Aw, we're getting worried," Sigrid said when she opened the door.

"Sorry, Sigrid, I was slow to get ready." As usual, Sierra felt she needed to apologize. How cautious could a person be? Sigrid always got the impression Sierra felt obliged to justify herself when there was no need.

"You're not late. We just wanted everyone to be here already. We're still waiting for Lars."

"Guess some things never change," Jonas said and entered.

A heatwave of smells hit their nostrils as laughter coming from the living room exploded in their ears.

Leone quickly wiggled out of his father's and was about to make a run for it when his father grabbed him, "oy, you little rascal, let me take your coat off first."

Sierra took hers off too and looked down at her stomach. She chose to wear an oversize white turtleneck and jeans. The outfit wasn't very flattering, but at least it camouflaged.

Leone ran off to find his cousins, who whisked him off to a world of adventures under the tables and behind the furniture. Sierra and Jonas entered the living room.

"Ah, finally," yelled Jonas' father. The room was transformed for the occasion with a long dining table already garnished with dishes but what captured Sierras' attention was the tree, almost invisible by the pile of presents.

"Sierra, are you okay?" Jonas asked.

It was a dream come true for Sierra, who spent her youth envying the Christmas parties she saw in sitcoms. How many times she had wished to live the same joy as the families on tv. Christmas with her father was one where they went to mess; the Christmas tree was a plastic one they brought out every year. Sierra still remembered how she would unfold each branch.

As an adult living alone, she didn't even bother buying one, just as she didn't go to mess. The tradition died with her father, and none of Jacob's words made her wish to celebrate.

During the whole month, Sierra tried to partake in the festivities of their first Christmas together as a family, but she lacked the spirit until this very instant.

There, the tree, like the one in Jonas' apartment, was natural and enormous. It reminded the ones in the tv series. In true Swedish style, the presents were not wrapped in shimmering blink-blink wrapping paper but sober white, pastel color, see kraft paper. Nevertheless, the whole warmed Sierra's heart as she realized once more that her family was no longer limited to Jacob.

"Sierra, come and sit next to me," Anders said before anyone else called her. The older man was fond of his new daughter-in-law and wished she would unwind like the rest of his son's spouses.

"What do you want to drink, Sierra. You've got Snapps and Glögg?"Joshua said.

"Eh," Sierra looked at Jonas, who still greeted everyone else, "I'll-."

"Try the glögg," Joshua's wife urged.

"I'll do that."

Sierra prayed no one would wait to see her drink. Luckily Jonas arrived and gulped down her glass before anyone realized. The evening pursued different conversations, and Jonas drank Sierras' glasses. At eight, the man's cheeks flushed pink, and his nose beamed Rudolph, the red nose reindeer style, as they sat to eat.

Dinner time ran late as they waited for Lars, who didn't make his appearance until they were halfway through.

"Sorry, everyone, I had something to do."

The table remained quiet. Only Ulrich spoke, "people with common decency call at least."

"Ulrich."

"What, why is he always forgiven like the prodigal son?"

"No arguments," Anders ordered while Lars made his way to Sierra.

"Sierra, I brought this for you. A friend of mine just got back from Paris got this for me. He says it's a good one," Lars said and placed the bottle in front of the woman.

Château Haut Brion, 2017 Pessac Léognan, AOP Sierra read.

"I know you love wine. Do you want to drink it now? I'll open it for you." It escaped no one that Lars was drunk.

"It's okay, Lars, thank you," Sierra said with her usual shyness.

"Oh, come on, Sierra, just one glass."

"She said no, Lars," Jonas interjected before releasing a hiccup.

Sierra felt terrible. It was her fault if her husband was in this state.

"Lars, just leave her alone already. Don't you think you've done enough for the year?"

"What is that supposed to mean?" Lars said and walked up to Ulrich.

"Guys," Joshua pleaded.

Ulrich got up to face Lars, "I hope the year will grant you some maturity."

Lars unleashed his most jaded expression, "I hope it will give you a sense of fucking humor."

"Boys."

"I'm tired of your shit," Ulrich said and grabbed Lars' collar.

"I'm pregnant."

Everyone turned to look at Sierra, who smiled nervously. She didn't want them to fight or have the wonderful evening spoiled. It was the only thing she found to say to decompress the atmosphere.

"Sierra," Sigrid exclaimed and shook her head in disapproval. She knew the imminent brawl was what brought about the revelation.

Klara grasped her hands, "aww, I'm so happy for you."

"Oh, come here, you," Anders said and grabbed her in a hug under Jonas' drunken stare.

Ulrich let go of Lars' collar and went to shake Jonas with his pats on the back, "congrats, bro."

"I knew it. That honeymoon must have been something," Lars added. Jonas gave Sierra an apologetic stare. He knew Sierra didn't wish to expose her pregnancy this way, but the announcement brought back peace and joy. The altercation between Lars and Ulrich got lost in the questions.

"How are you feeling, Sierra?" Elsa asked.

"Do you need anything?" Joshua asked.

"I'm okay, thank you."

It was one thing having Jonas' attention and another to have all his family running about to make her comfortable. The woman wondered who was happier about her baby when she saw them.

Leone came running to his mothers' side. Why was everyone making such a fuss?

"Mama?"

Sierra looked down at her son. Again, she tried to imagine the child she carried. Until that instant, the baby was a mirage, but her announcement liberated something that made her accept its reality. She caressed Leone's head. The boy smiled and ran off to join the other children.

"I guess this bottle will have to wait nine months," Joshua joked as he stared at the bottle Lars brought Sierra.

"I'll keep it to celebrate, Lars."

"I hope so," the man said and winked in her direction.

The meal continued, and all hurried to open their presents and Jonas approached Sierra. "I'm sorry about that."

"It's okay, Jonas. I'm happy. I feel I have a little less weight on my shoulders."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes," Sierra replied and grasped Jonas' face with both hands before kissing him on his red nose.

"Here, Sierra, this one is for you," Sigrid said, interrupting the couple.

"Go on, open it," Jonas said.

Sierra opened the small packet and took out a bola necklace.

"Sigrid, you knew?"

"She knew before me," Jonas replied.

"It isn't much, but I hope you and your little will like it."

Sierra grinned. Her eyes shone with tears as she accepted her mother-in-laws' present.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.9K 128 27
When 16 year old Hannah meets a boy that she met online she realizes that being friends isn't the only thing either one of them wants. They both want...
9.3K 704 74
***warning it's my first book so there are alot of spelling errors and I'm truly sorry for that but please bare with me** They say love is a pure and...
992 33 14
In the beginning of my youth. I gave away my heart to you. I always knew this love for you was just an hopeless wish. It was impossible for us. But I...
78K 6.2K 74
Sierra becomes the mom of six months old Leone, her deceased best friend's son. The baby's grandparents want his custody and conspire. Who else has m...