Craaven

By JayWinterMenageries

After being kicked out of his home, young Edgar Craaven is confronted by a crazy warlock who turns him into a... More

Prologue: Day 1 Watford England 1977
Chapter 1: Watford, England 1977
Chapter 2: Watford, England 1977
Chapter 3: Watford, England 1977
Chapter 4: A few miles east of Stonehenge; 1977
Chapter 6: London, England 1977
Chapter 7: Brighton, England 1979 August 7
Chapter 8: Brighton, England 1979 August 7
Chapter 9: Brighton, England 1979 August 10th
Chapter 10: Unknown Area 1979 August 12th
Chapter 11: Mortemville, Montana 1979 October 27th
Chapter 12: Mortemville, Montana 1979 October 28th
Chapter 13: Mortemville, Montana 1979 October 31st
Chapter 14: Mortemville, Montana 1979 October 31st (10: 37 pm)
Chapter 15: Mortemville, Montana 1979 November 1st
Chapter 16: Mortemville, Montana 1979 November 2nd
Chapter 17: Mortemville, Montana 1980 August 7th
Chapter 18: Mortemville, Montana 1981 July 8
Chapter 19: Mortemville, Montana 1983 October 31st
Part 2 Chapter 20: Mortemville, Montana 1986 April 6
Chapter 21: Mortemville, Montana 1986 April 6th
Chapter 22: Mortemville, Montana 1986 April 23rd
Chapter 23: Mortemville, Montana 1986, May 2nd
Chapter 24: Mortemville, Montana 1986, May 4th
Chapter 25: Mortemville, Montana 1986 May 10th
Chapter 26: Mortemville, Montana 1986 May 15th
Chapter 27: Mortemville, Montana 1986 May 17th
Chapter 28: Mortemville, Montana 1986 June 2nd
Chapter 29: Mortemville, Montana 1986 June 17th
Chapter 30: Mortemville, Montana 1986 June 22nd
Chapter 31: Mortemville, Montana 1986 June 22nd
Chapter 32: Mortemville, Montana 1986 June 23rd
Chapter 33: Mortemville, Montana 1986 June 24th
Chapter 34: Mortemville, Montana 1987 October 13th (over a year later)
Chapter 35: Mortemville, Montana 1987 October 20th
Chapter 36: Mortemville, Montana 1987 November 1st
Chapter 37: Somewhere in the Middle of the Woods 1987 November 1st
Chapter 38: Mortemville, Montana 1987 November 2nd
Chapter 39: Mortemville Montana 1987 December 5th
Chapter 40: Mortemville, Montana 1988 January 10th
Chapter 41: Mortemville, Montana 1988 April 22nd
Chapter 42: Mortemville, Montana 1988 April 23rd
Chapter 43: Mortemville, Montana 1988 April 23rd
Chapter 44: Mortemville, Montana 1991 October 20th (4 years later)

Chapter 5: Somewhere in the skies of England, 1977

2 1 0
By JayWinterMenageries

It was nearing sunset, and I'd almost given up hope of finding Will. I've searched what seemed like everywhere, and I've encountered many ravens that seemed like Will but were really just angry birds fighting for food and mates.

I was about ready to decide where to make a nest and try to figure things out on my own without Will... but the thought of dying because I did something absolutely stupid kept me flying on for several more minutes, and to my absolute relief and good fortune, my strenuous flying paid off.

"Edgar!!" a voice called behind me. I turned my head and, to my relief, saw a familiar large raven rushing towards me. I called back out of relief, "William!" The raven circled above me for a few moments before slowing down and proceeding with a steady cruise next to me.

"This bin some coincidence or am I just cursed with ya now?" William chuckled with a widened look in his eyes, which I presumed was a raven look of shock.

"I don't know but I'm kinda glad it happened" I admitted. I tried to seem genuinely happy to see him- and I was- I just wasn't able to fully feel it because of my current state of mind.

"Yeah... oi, no 'ard feelin's bout the buzzard thing, right? I just couldn't keep up with 'im, I'm not as young as I was anymore," Will explained half-heartedly. Part of me didn't see him as actually sincere when he spoke. Maybe it was mostly because of how light-hearted his tone was even though I could've very easily died when Hawky captured me and he would've just flown away for his own life. But then again, I couldn't exactly hold him to that because I didn't expect him to be attached to me after only two-ish days. He wasn't required to put himself in danger to save my idiot self but it sure is nice when he does.

"It's okay" I answered eventually.

"What 'appened? 'Ow did you get outta there?" he asked and my stomach dropped uncomfortably. I was so glad I was covered in feathers in that instant because otherwise, he would've watched my face go deathly pale.

"Luck, I guess. He's much older and bigger than I am," I answered dismissively. I thought I was doing pretty well, but I guess my tone sounded much different to Will.

"Somet 'appened, boy, tell me!" he pressed, to which I hesitated for a while to think of something that would get him to leave me alone. Finally, I just landed on, "I'm a little shaken, I can tell you when I feel calmer." It was the best I could come up with and, frankly, I was pretty relieved because Will nodded and dropped the subject.

"What was the place you were telling me about? Before the buzzard snatched me?" I wondered, feeling my stomach growl from the hunger I hadn't yet fully satisfied. William cooed approvingly and closed his eyes as if remembering something pleasant.

"Right! The buffet! I'm 'ungry as well, smart thinkin', boy," He praised, "Follow me, it's this way," he continued, flying off to his right. I followed although I lingered behind slightly, still hearing the faint screams of Hawky in the back of my mind. I was hoping food could get my mind off of this but I knew it was only temporary. I'll never get over this. I thought to myself.

...

We arrived at an all-you-can-eat buffet around nightfall. I sat on a windowsill, eagerly peering in whilst William awaited me below for information on what I saw inside.

"The tables are unguarded. There are a few people getting food but other than that, it's clear," I said down to Will. Will cawed in approval as I jumped back down to the floor.

"Now all we need to do is get inside," Will stated happily, mentally savouring the tastes of the many foods inside. I cooed in agreement; I was extremely hungry, I haven't eaten a real meal in several days and I was very much looking forward to it. I've been living like a real bird, relying on hand-caught rodents and the scraps of garbage to keep me alive. My stomach felt like it belonged to a child on the streets.

"Edgar? You look troubled...is something the matter?" William suddenly asked, knocking me out of my thoughts with his gruff voice. I looked at him in surprise and stammered, "No-no. Nothing's wrong. I just can't wait to eat," I lied, faking an enthusiastic tone.

"Okay...well then, in that case, once someone opens the door we'll just sneak on in," William explained, hopping up and down to ready himself for the sprint inside. I hopped up to his side, but I mentally pretended I didn't know him because of how stupid he looked.

Several minutes went by, and Will had finally stopped hopping with anticipation. He had exhausted himself and was now lazily staring at the door while laying on the floor. I on the other hand was still standing and tiredly looking at the door, waiting for any sign of movement and remaining focused on the door to keep myself from going back to that dark place on the cliff.

"Busy place, innit?" William said sarcastically. I scoffed, "Indeed, people from around the world are coming to see London's busiest buffet."

Will laughed and rolled onto his talons, "Are you sure you even saw people in there?" he asked, questioning my eyesight.

"Duh, otherwise I would've told you," I answered back.

"A'ight, a'ight, no need to get yer tail in a twist!" Will commented. But just as we were about to argue about what I saw inside, the door suddenly opened, and a family of five came noisily piling out. The parents were happily talking with each other, while their rambunctious children giddily pushed each other around.

"Edgar! Goddamn it, get yer arse inside!" Will yelled from the doorway. The door was beginning to shut, so I quickly scrambled inside and ducked under a table where William resided.

I followed Will as he stealthily manoeuvred around the people's feet towards the food tables. Twice were we almost caught because of, according to Will, "My absurd clumsiness." But fortunately, we weren't caught, and we made it to the food tables peacefully. Only the hard part remained. And this was what I was most worried about.

"So how's this going to work?" I asked in a whisper. William scooted closer, "When no one is looking, quickly get up on the table there, and grab the firs' thing yer beak touches and quickly come back down."

"And what if we're caught?"

"I'll be out 'ere quicker than you can scream anything."

I gave William a strange look, "So if we're caught you're going to leave me to die again?"

"Oi, I'm not savin' yer scrawny ass over food, I'll just wait until them humans kick you out with a broom," William answered point-blank. My expression never changed, I wasn't completely settled with the possibility that he would just leave me to the mercy of humans. Plus, it's still absolutely fantastic to know that he's quite a selfish bird.

Will stared back at me as if I were the one being unreasonable, "What!? You'll be fine, it's not like they have guns!" and with that, he nudged me to the edge of our table-shelter and urged me to hurry up with the food. I huffed in annoyance and almost downright refused because I didn't trust that this would go down smoothly. However, my hunger far overpowered my reluctance and I prepared myself anyway.

William watched me from behind, I assumed he wanted to see how I did or wanted to know when a good time to run away was and I let him stay there, as irritated as I was. I looked around the restaurant for any eyes who may have been watching and when I didn't see any, I flew up onto the table and grabbed a fried fish stick that sat just at the edge of its tray.

I quickly came back down with the fish stick in my beak and by the look on Will's face, I could tell he was a little disappointed.

"What?" I asked.

"Only one? Couldn't snag two, could ya?" he pointed out.

"Not exactly-?" I was a little confused by his expectations of me considering what we were doing but I didn't know how else to answer him. Will grumbled something under his breath before taking half of the fish stick and urging me over to another table.

Will began talking to me, instructing me exactly what to grab and I interrupted him, "Wait- why do I have to do all the stealing? Can't you do it?"

"Do you see me? I stick out like a sore thumb. You're small and much darker, no one will see you," he explained as if I were stupid and I sighed in frustration. Reluctantly, I approached the edge of the table and went through the entire process again, eventually returning with two small strawberries.

"Ed! Come on, step up yer game, I know you can grab more than that," Will criticised me again.

"I'm sorry, but I'm trying to be quick so we don't get caught!" I responded sharply and ate a strawberry I had worked so hard to steal. Will rolled his bird eyes and urged me to go out again for more. As much as I would rather he go out and steal the food once in a while, I kept most of my thoughts internalised for later. I grabbed as much food as I could for the both of us but of course, Will was complaining about my abilities the whole time. Mostly saying that I should know how to steal food considering I was a "flightless bird" for most of my lonely life. I said nothing about this of course.

We grabbed our food and ate like kings. It wasn't my ideal meal of choice but it was still something and it was still delicious. I couldn't quite eat in peace, however, because I was always on guard and paranoid that someone would see us. Will didn't have a single care in the world and I envied him as much as I worried about him. I would think he would be as on edge as I am, considering he's been a wild bird his entire life.

However, to both of our dismay, my paranoia was much needed because as I was trying to grab more food, I mistakenly flew up while someone was grabbing a plate of food. We made eye contact for a moment before the woman gasped and announced my presence.

"There's a- there's a bird! Oh my God! There's a bird in here!" she exclaimed and almost instantaneously, a small group of servers and hosts came hurrying over to get me out. I flew back under the table as quickly as possible and told Will what had happened.

"Oi, you feckin' muttonhead!" he grumbled as he prepared to fly off. An employee jabbed a broom under the table, catching us by surprise and causing us to fly off earlier than Will had anticipated. We flew sloppily around the small restaurant, trying to find a way out since the door was closed and would be too heavy to open. The employees followed us to try and herd us out while the guests overreacted and yelled in outrage and surprise.

"Will! What are we doing!?" I yelled over the commotion below.

"Do I look like I bloody know!?" he yelled back and continued flying in sporadic patterns. I followed only because I didn't know what else to do and I wasn't thinking.

Out of the blue, the employee with the broom struck and it slapped Will right out of the air. He gave a loud distressed squeak and I panicked as I realised this was about to get much worse than anyone could've ever guessed.

In my panic, I went straight to the easiest solution despite being surrounded by unknowing people who could easily make everything even worse. But I still wasn't thinking of consequences, I was thinking of survival.

My transformation was sudden but less painful than the previous times. I stumbled as I landed and hurried to the employee who held Will. The entire restaurant erupted into loud screaming and a few terrified guests ran for the doors, knocking over tables and sending dishware and glass shattering on the floor.

I wrestled with the man, my goal being Will but the man, in his terror and confusion, held on tightly to the bird and only pushed me away as if I were some sort of demon.

"Give me the bird!" I ordered and grabbed onto the man's arm to pry his fingers off of Will. The man eventually relented and shoved the raven into my chest. He scurried off to safety and the moment I had William safe with me, I sprinted out of the restaurant and down the street. I ran like I was running from the police- which, if I hadn't left sooner, I would be running from the police. I didn't stop until I had reached the safety of an alleyway, where I turned back into a raven and flew away with Will following me.

"BLOODY 'ELL! What kind of devilry was that?!" Will yelled at me once he had regained his composure. I didn't dare look at him, I couldn't find the words to describe myself. I didn't want to have to tell the detailed truth. So, instead, I just responded with a simple, "I'll tell you later..." and I remained silent after that.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

114 0 2
It gets crazy as he rides deeper into the supernatural world
101K 3.3K 19
Daniel's schizophrenia is getting out of hand, and his medication just isn't doing its job anymore. In hopes of fixing his mental issues, he's sent o...
MEDIUM By Jay.

Paranormal

174K 10.3K 40
Adrian knew he was weird, well weirder, he had abilities and powers no one had, he could see things no normal person could, so instead of running fro...
3.5K 127 13
Jackson was kicked out of his home and clan when he came out to his parents. Sent away to a boarding school where he didn't know anyone. What happen...