Eloise

By _coffeeXbean_

Eloise's marriage in her first life didn't end well. On her death, she thought their twisted fate had come to... More

Prologue
Chapter 1: Back in Time
Chapter 2: The Banquet
Chapter 3: The Banquet (2)
Chapter 4: Escape Plan
Chapter 5: Deceit
Chapter 6: Departure
Chapter 7: The Ducal Wedding
Chapter 8: Hearts and Flowers
Chapter 9: Iowa
Chapter 10: Doubts
Chapter 11: Lantern Festival
Chapter 12: Lantern Festival (2)
Chapter 13: Wolf's Bane
Chapter 14: Change of Plans
Chapter 16: Farrell Quinn
Chapter 17: Bloody Chalice
Chapter 18: The Duke's Return
Chapter 19: Visit
Chapter 20: More Than Meets The Eye
Chapter 21: Sapphire
Chapter 22: Winter on Fall
Chapter 23: Winter on Fall (2)
Chapter 24: Winter on Fall (3)
Chapter 25: Behind the Walls of Credieu
Chapter 26: Flightless Bird
Chapter 27: Maude
Chapter 28: A Knight's Affection
Chapter 29: A Knight's Affection (2)
Chapter 30: A Knight's Affection (3)

Chapter 15: Aftermath

1.1K 41 3
By _coffeeXbean_

Five days ago...

Knox heaved a deep sigh, before taking long strides towards the Duchess' chamber. Last night, the town was in complete chaos, he heard from the knights that a man tried to assassinate a noble man that caused panic to everyone. He recalled all the happenings that night which only gave him the headache.

Knox was peacefully strolling along the halls of the Duchy when he saw the carriage of the Duchess hurriedly arriving from a distance. As a butler who had long served the Duchy, he felt something odd which made him rush towards the entrance to welcome their arrival. The servants he would pass by were shocked by the sudden actions of the butler.

By the time he made it outside of the Duchy, the carriage was already there and the Duchess has stepped out of the vehicle. His eyes searched for Lara, who should be beside the Duchess to aid her. There was also no sign of the Duchess' personal body guard, Reagan.

Knox frowned, his instincts are telling him something bad happened. However, he is sure that the Duchess’ could never be harmed. After all, he gathered all the best knights to accompany her. He slowly approached the Duchess, with a confused expression and bewildered mind.

"Your grace, what made you go home early? You should have stayed longer and enjoyed the event."

Knox asked but to no avail, the Duchess did not respond. Now that he is face to face with her, Knox noticed the pale complexion of the Duchess.

"Sir, an assassination happened in the plaza." Gavin, one of the Knights answered.

Assassination?!!

Knox' heart nearly jumped out of his chest, his silver eyes formed two big circles from hearing the Knight’s statement. Some maids who managed to welcome the Duchess’ arrival gasped from what they heard. Knox examined the Duchess looking for any signs of injury, luckily the Duchess was unscratched.

"I believe someone hired an assassin to kill a noble man, luckily he was saved by the Duchess." The knight added with a hint of pride in his voice.

Knox was even more shocked from his statement, his silver eyes grew wider than they already are that anytime his eyeballs would pop out.

"Your grace—"

He was about to confirm the knight’s statement to the Duchess, however, Knox noticed how Eloise avoided his gaze while her hands trembled. He decided that it would be best to just send the Duchess to her chamber. He removed his coat to wrap it around the Duchess, before asking some of the servants to escort her toward her bedroom.

Knox silently watched the Duchess' back as she was being escorted by the servants before returning his attention to the knights.

Another sigh escaped the butler’s mouth, he had been staring at the door of Eloise's bedroom. He gathered all his courage before managing to knock on the Duchess' door. All the thinking is not helping him calm down.

“Your grace, are you awake already?” Knox asked, there was a long pause. Knox hesitated on knocking again but eventually the Duchess answered.

"Yes, Knox. Give me a few minutes to gather myself.” Eloise answered which sounded a bit hoarse.

Her grace must be tired.

“If you don’t mind, I could just send your breakfast in bed.” The butler commented.

After the events last night, he doesn't want to strain his mistress and put her well-being in harm's way.

“No, its fine. I’ll be joining the breakfast hall in a minute.” Eloise answered.

“As you wish your grace."

With that Knox left after instructing the maids outside the room to attend to the Duchess' morning rituals.

When Eloise opened her eyes, the first thing she felt was a numbing headache. She stroked her head in an attempt to relieve the pain but nothing happened. Her throat felt sore and her eyes are stingy from crying overnight. She sat up holding her head, it feels like someone is squeezing it. Eloise let out a stressed sigh.

Eloise’s mind was in disarray last night that she can’t even answer Knox properly. All she wanted was to lock herself inside her room and cry all the frustrations she’s feeling. The devilish smirk of the man kept playing inside her head, sending shivers throughout her body. It reminded her of the way he mercilessly slit her neck like a piece of meat.

All the sufferings and trauma she’s trying to bury resurfaced once again. Meeting that ruthless man reopened old wounds, it felt bitter, suffocating, it’s as if she was stabbed multiple times. Eloise unconsciously started crying again, just like last night she can’t help but feel pity towards herself.

Why am I so weak?

Then, a knock was heard on the door, she jerked up from the sudden interruption. Wiping her tears, she tried to calm herself.

“Your grace, Sir Knox sent us to tend to your needs. Should we prepare your bath now?” A servant asked from the other side of the door. Eloise, inhaled and exhaled, she cleared her throat before she answered, trying to conceal the hoarseness of her voice from crying overnight.

“Yes, Edna. Also, bring me a cold towel and a basin.” She instructed.

"As you ordered, Your Grace."

With that, Eloise heard several pairs of vanishing footsteps indicating that the servants already left. She closed her eyes, breathing the air around her, before opening them again wishing everything could stop even for just a minute.

Promptly, the servants arrived with the things she instructed. She sat at her vanity and let the maids attend to her.

Her swollen eyes immediately caught their attention but realizing that she doesn't want to talk about it, they silently assisted her of applying the cold towel to reduce the swelling while the others brushed her long curly hair.

Eloise cannot help but to pity herself again. She hates how weak and vulnerable she was, from ten years ago and until now. Nothing changed.

I shall make haste and step out of my comfort place. I need strength to survive.

The knights and servants who always tend to her will not always stay by her side. Once she left the Duchy and divorced the Duke, she will no longer be their mistress and there will be no reason for them to serve her anymore.

It was that moment when she was reminded of Lara and Reagan. Her mind was so occupied last night that she forgot about her companions.

“Where is Lara?” She asked Edna who was currently brushing her hair.

“I’m sorry Your Grace but I haven't seen her this morning.”

Eloise only nodded before proceeding and returned her attention to the cold towel. The swelling was barely noticeable now.

Lara is with Reagan, I’m sure she’s safe. I'll just ask her later for what happened.

When she arrived on the breakfast hall, Knox offered a seat for her which she accepted.

"Your Grace, I already heard what occured last night. Rest assured that I will take care of everything in a just manner and punish those who failed to adhere to their duty."

Eloise's hand holding the cutlery stopped midair and shifted her attention to the butler by her side. He was probably referring to Lara and Reagan who left her side last night. But it would be unfair to punish them when they only left after following her orders.

"I would like to take care of this matter myself, Knox. I will talk to them after my meal. Do you perhaps know where I could find Reagan at this hour?"

Knox seemed surprise by her words. He probably realized that she defended them but still, he relayed what she inquired.

"Sir Reagan will be at the training grounds this morning to train the knights."

Eloise nodded and thanked the butler. After her meal, she instructed one of the servants to summon Lara to her room to bring her some refreshments, though it is only an excuse she used to see her.

Before long, Lara knocked at her room holding a tray of tea and refreshments. Her head was lowered the moment she entered the room, obviously avoiding her gaze.

"I'm glad to see you returned safe."

Lara immediately lifted her face the moment she heard her words. With tearful eyes, she kneeled in front of her. "Please punish this servant, Your Grace. If only I haven't left your side last night then —"

"You're not to blame, Lara. No one expected that to happen. And I returned safely, so stand up and wipe those tears."

With hesitation and apologetic eyes, Lara heed to her words and stood up but still, her eyes were fixed on her feet.

Noticing her behavior, Eloise thought of something that could relieve them both from last night's events. "Then, how about doing me a favor?"

With round eyes, Lara lifted her face, thinking how she could make up for her irresponsibility. "Anything, Your Grace."

Eloise smiled. "I want to visit the training grounds but doing so, I thought I should atleast bring something for them. Help me bake some pies for the knights."

The events of the festival had left her traumatized. However, staying inside her chamber won’t help her. She felt the need to clear her mind and decided to preoccupy herself. In fact, it wasn't a simple visit. She has something to accomplish for today.

Taking into account the events last night, knowing the future was not enough to avoid death. The future was gradually changing and her memory from her past life may no longer be helpful in some way. And the thought of encountering the silver-haired assassin was making her restless.

In order to survive in this life, she needs strength. And strength requires knowledge and the right people.

I need to bring him to my side.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

159K 6.2K 20
The Second Book in the Bride Series Katharine was a peasant girl, living in the streets of Paris when the Lady Eleanor found her and turned her into...
272 1 9
A man who was the CEO of a famous company, was overworked and stressed out. Due to his tiredness, he had to walk home. He had a hard time trusting ot...
264 37 16
Running away from an arranged marriage to a local mobster, Eloise finds herself in a new town with it's own crime family. After she meets the local M...
32K 650 37
Falling for a Bridgerton Dear readers, The season of courting has long come to an end. Many of this season's hopefuls have found their match and hav...