Behind Black Shades (DISCONTI...

By CrabRangoonie

After going to a popular nightclub a few times with a friend, you start to gain an attraction towards the mos... More

Characters + Settings
Chapter 1: The Bet
Chapter 2: S. Snowden
Chapter 3: Rendezvous
Chapter 4: Date Planning 4 Dummiez
Chapter 5: (Y/N) The Worker Bee
Summit's Nightmares (short)
Chapter 6: Date (1/2)
Chapter 7: Date (2/2)
Chapter 8: A Smile As Warm As Coffee
Chapter 9: Droplets On The Window
Summit's Nightmares Pt. 2
Chapter 10: Tagging Along (1/2)
Chapter 11: Tagging Along (2/2)
Chapter 12: Pancakes And Errands
Milestones
Chapter 13: Breakdown Burgers
Chapter 15: A Dead Car Battery
its over
Physical Connection (REVISED)

Chapter 14: Summit The Worker Wolf

1.8K 30 7
By CrabRangoonie

What's this?! A whole chapter focusing on our love interest?! I must be dreaming!

Well, it does focus on him, and you will be in it, but you won't be the main character. We're giving Summit the spotlight today, because he deserves it.

Also since this chapter will be focusing on Summit's profession, I have a song up called Professional by Kyle Dion.

Saturday
4:40 PM
East 35th Street, Edgewood, NMC

Summit was lucky he knew the city as well as he did, otherwise this trip would've been way more difficult. He kept checking out different features that SAVI had, while also trying his hardest not to mess anything up, since he didn't want to be turned into a two thousand dollar coat worn by a woman with a face full of makeup.

He was a good fifteen or twenty minutes away, and just fiddling with the screen while also keeping his eyes on the road. He had seen SAVI powered cars before, and there was one particular thing he wanted to try.

"SAVI?" he said.

"𝙷𝚘𝚠 𝚌𝚊𝚗 𝙸 𝚑𝚎𝚕𝚙?" the robotic voice asked.

"E-Enable auto...drive?" Summit nervously commanded.

"𝙸 𝚗𝚎𝚎𝚍 𝚊 𝚍𝚎𝚜𝚝𝚒𝚗𝚊𝚝𝚒𝚘𝚗 𝚏𝚒𝚛𝚜𝚝. 𝚈𝚘𝚞 𝚌𝚊𝚗 𝚜𝚊𝚢 𝚘𝚛 𝚝𝚢𝚙𝚎 𝚊𝚗 𝚊𝚍𝚍𝚛𝚎𝚜𝚜 𝚘𝚛 𝚎𝚜𝚝𝚊𝚋𝚕𝚒𝚜𝚑𝚖𝚎𝚗𝚝."

"Uhm...Club Stratus?"

"𝙳𝚎𝚜𝚝𝚒𝚗𝚊𝚝𝚒𝚘𝚗: 𝙲𝚕𝚞𝚋 𝚂𝚝𝚛𝚊𝚝𝚞𝚜 𝚊𝚝 𝟿𝟿𝟺𝟻 𝚆𝚎𝚜𝚝𝚘𝚗 𝙰𝚟𝚎𝚗𝚞𝚎. 𝙸𝚜 𝚝𝚑𝚒𝚜 𝚌𝚘𝚛𝚛𝚎𝚌𝚝?"

"Yeah...?"

"𝙰𝚞𝚝𝚘𝚍𝚛𝚒𝚟𝚎 𝚗𝚘𝚠 𝚎𝚗𝚊𝚋𝚕𝚎𝚍." SAVI said, the small strip light on the steering wheel turning green. Suddenly the steering wheel became rigid and apparently gained a mind of its own, and the gas and brake pedals started to move without the assistance of Summit's paws.

"Okay...I guess that's it." Summit says, settling in for the last stretch of the way to the club.

According to the GPS, he was on East 35th Street, which was a good twenty-five or thirty minutes away. Summit did feel lucky that he didn't have to take the train. Although he really had no qualms about using any type of public transportation, he did dislike how cumbersome it got whenever his train would get delayed.

He was a little saddened that this would be the last time he could really use a car for a while, he planned on relaxing while he could. What did lift his mood though, was getting back home to you. Even if you were going to be asleep, at least seeing you would make his night...or rather early, early morning.

Summit knew you had to leave at some point on Sunday, and of course he didn't like the fact that you did, but he understood. He did think about offering the option to just stay with him for the week, since your office was literally across the street from his apartment, but he didn't want to come across as clingy. Plus, he was ninety percent sure you weren't going to drive all the way back to Monroe, grab a weeks worth of clothes and other things, and come all the way back. He already knew that you were the type of person who wouldn't even entertain an option if it meant inconveniencing yourself too much.

Maybe, just maybe he could convince you, but thinking back to the clingy thing, he probably wouldn't even attempt. He was happy being able to visit you during your lunch break at least.

He pulls out his phone to see a text from Kloss. The two of them had been working together for some time, and considered each other friends, but they never hung out. Summit was never really down for it, and Kloss has a son to care for, so it couldn't really happen either way.

The text in question read: "Hey you almost here? Mr. Kastner said he may come by and check up on the place in an hour or so"

Ah yes, Mr. Charlie Kastner, Club Stratus's money-hungry, arrogant owner. He's owned the club since the previous owner, who was his father, passed away around 2018 from some type of cancer. Everyone liked him, since he cared about how club patrons felt, and he actually made sure his employees were safe.

Charlie however, was the polar opposite. He's still somewhat young, only being around thirty-eight years old, but he still spends the clubs money like a teenager with a blank check. If the clubs ceiling was literally falling apart, he would use the money he made and buy a brand new fancy car, or an expensive suit, or anything except trying to keep the business that was making his money run smoothly.

Summit quickly texts Kloss back.

"Yes I'm almost there."

Before he knows it, the car all of a sudden comes to a complete halt, slightly throwing poor Summit forward, causing him to drop his phone. He reaches down to get it and looks up to see what could've caused the disturbance. There was a tall tiger guy jogging across the street, giving a nervous smile and waving apologetically before reaching the sidewalk. After all of that, the car continues on without a problem. Summit rolls his eyes at the man's carelessness.

Saturday
5:19 PM
Club Stratus, Moonlight District, NMC

After the car had finished parallel parking itself, Summit stepped out, albeit a little awkwardly since the sedan was still super low to the ground. He walks into the club to see no one there accept the DJ and a couple bartenders setting up.

"Hey Snowden!" a voice says in the distance.

Summit looks over to see the same Golden Retriever who had missed the train the other day, the same one who got his ass beaten like some eggs by Javi a couple of weeks ago. He says hi to him practically every day, and Summit always felt bad that he didn't know his name.

"Oh, hi uhmm...I'm sorry what was your name again?" the wolf asks, and immediately regrets it as the Goldie looks visibly disappointed, but quickly rebounds to the same smile he had before.

"It's Travis." he said.

"Oh, I'll remember that next time then. Sorry about that, I mean you greet me every day and I still didn't remember your name..." Summit says, his ears lowering a bit. Travis dismisses him, though.

"It's fine, honestly. I don't expect everyone to remember, so don't beat yourself up about it." the dog says.

"Heh, alright. I have to go get ready, but have a good shift. May many tips come your way, Travis." Summit says, walking back to the locker room.

"Uh, yeah! You too! If they tip bouncers that is..." Travis calls back.

Summit reached the door to the locker room, pulling his employee ID card out of his wallet and lifting it to the glowing red sensor. Upon authorizing his ID, the sensor glows green and beeps, and the click of the electronic lock. He pushes the door open and the room is largely empty and quiet, save for his own footsteps. All the better for him, honestly.

He had no problems changing in front of other guys, but it did get a little troublesome with that one guy who liked to slap peoples asses. Yes, there's someone that does that...and he did it to Summit once. He remembers exactly what that guy said after he slapped it too.

"Damn, that shit fat."

It still made the wolf shudder. Mostly why he wears his uniform to work instead of changing into it, but this time he didn't feel like dirtying it up so quickly. Since there was no one else present, he could quickly get changed with no hassle, which is exactly what he's doing now.

He plops his duffel bag on the nearest bench and proceeds to pull at the hem of his light blue sweatshirt, pulling it over his head, revealing his white tank top. There were a few metal hangers in the lockers so that people could hang up the clothes they wore in. Summit takes the hoodie and places it on one of the hangers, before taking off his jeans, folding them in half and resting them on the same metal beam that the hangers were on.

He reaches into the black bag, pulling out a pair of  black suit pants. He puts his legs into them, the fabric starting to tighten around his large thighs. They weren't too tight, but most pants would learn to stretch around them and loosen.

He pulls them up to his waist, zipping them up and buttoning them before getting the white dress shirt out as well. This one was tailored to fit him, unlike other dress shirts he would try to wear. He buttons up the shirt, and the suit vest that went over it. He tied on his bowtie, put on his shades, and he was ready. Not before putting his phone on silent and into his locker as well, sneaking it into his hoodie pocket. He put the keys to his place in his locker as well, but opted to keep your car keys on him though, since he really didn't want to get grilled by you about losing them.

Saturday
5:25 PM
Club Stratus, Moonlight District, NMC

Summit and his usual colleague, Kloss, were doing their usual thing, standing outside of the doors until the club opened at around six, idly making small talk.

"So how's your son doing?" Summit asked.

"Good. He's with his mom this weekend, though. We made plans to go to a water park next time I have him, so that'll be fun." Kloss responds.

"That sounds nice." the wolf says.

"Oh, definitely. It's a little reward for making the honor role, heh, little scholar."

Summit smiled.

"How's your boyfriend doing?" Kloss asked.

Kloss couldn't see it, but Summit's eyes went wide. His ears stood up and he almost jolted out of surprise.

"W-What?"

"Oh, don't play dumb with me. I saw that little display when you grabbed both of (Y/N)'s hands and looked into his eyes 'n shit like some sorta Hallmark movie." Kloss said.

"That doesn't mean he's my boyfriend. He could just be a close friend." Summit said, getting rather defensive.

"Well, is he? I'm sure he wouldn't appreciate you denying your relationship after that whole thing."

"No, I would not!" you said, walking around the corner with your hands in your pockets.

"Ah, see what I said?" Kloss said, nudging the white wolf in the side.

"(Y-Y/N)? I thought I said I wasn't comfortable with you coming back." Summit asked.

"I'm a grown man, I do what I want, and I wanted to see you, so I came anyways." you said, leaning on the wall beside him.

Summit blushed at your forwardness.

"But, if it makes you feel better, if there's any trouble at all, I'll go back home. I know you just wanna keep me safe." you said, patting your boyfriend's shoulder.

"Alright...fine." Summit said.

"So, am I right?" Kloss asked, raising a brow. "I don't have a problem with it, I'm honestly happy for you."

"Wait, what?"

"Yeah, I always thought you looked sorta lonely, that's why I used to invite you for drinks sometimes. After you said no after the third attempt I just stopped."

"Oh..."

Now Summit felt kind of bad. Kloss already had gone through a pretty messy divorce, and didn't have full custody of his son, so he was mostly alone. Maybe a friend is what he needed.

"Don't feel bad, I get it. Sometimes you just don't feel like being social." Kloss said.

"Yeah...it happens..."

Summit was never exactly an extremely social person. He mostly just stuck to being the quiet one, unless he had to speak. Getting comfortable with someone was usually pretty easy, which was probably why his last relationship was...the way it was.

All three of you went silent for a while, until a shiny, newer model white Tahoe pulled up near the club's entrance.

(The Tahoe in question)

A Rottweiler stepped out, donned in an expensive looking suit, talking on the phone rather loudly. He walks over to the door and Summit promptly opens the door for him. Before he walks in, he tosses his keys to Kloss.

"Park 'er round back for me, will ya? You scratch it yer out of a job." the man says, wasting no time going inside the largely empty club. Kloss simply nods, gets into the SUV and drives down the alley.

"Who's that guy?" you ask.

"The club's owner, Mr. Kastner. I'm not very fond of him." Summit says.

"Why not?"

"He's rather negligent. It's obvious he's only in it for the money, he has barely any idea how to run this place."

"Damn."

"Damn indeed, (Y/N)."

Summit stands there next to you for a while, neither of you exchanging words, but only listening to the sounds of the city. There was no activity yet, surprisingly. The club was only maybe twenty minutes from being open.

Just when Summit was going to get settled for a rare uneventful night, a couple, consisting of an Asian woman and a red fox walk up to the club.

"You guys open yet?" the fox asked.

"Unfortunately not, sir. It'll be a small wait if you don't mind that." Summit replied.

The fox looked at his plus one, and she just shrugged.

"Yeah, that's fine, we can wait. Least we're at the front of the line, right Jess?"

"Finally! I hate getting here while everyone's already lined up." Jess said.

"Oh, I must mention that as a precaution I would like to see you two's IDs, please." Summit said.

"Oh, yeah sure, hold on." the fox said, reaching into his pocket and pulling out a rather battered brown wallet, taking out his license and giving it to the wolf.

Summit scans it, taking in all of the information. Sometimes it was interesting looking at peoples ages, because usually they never really looked their age. Let's see this fox guy's info...

Derek Tipton, thirty years old...license expires on November 8, 2023, stands at five feet and seven inches tall.

"You're all good." Summit said, giving the license back to Derek.

"Oh, here's mine." Jess said, giving her license to Summit, which he takes and scans the same way. He already knew she was of age to go in, but still, looking at peoples information was for the most part the only entertainment he could get working this job.

Jessica Han, twenty-eight years old, license expires sometime in 2024, stands at five feet and five inches tall.

Summit gives the ID back, and just then Kloss comes back around the corner, but quickly walks back inside, most likely to return the keys to the owner. He soon walks back out and takes his post next to Summit.

Saturday
9:26 PM
Club Stratus, Moonlight District, NMC

At this point people had stopped coming into the club, at least for a while. Summit and Kloss stood in the same authoritative pose they usually did, and you were leaning against the wall, rubbing your temple.

Although it didn't look like he did, Summit took notice.

"(Y/N)?" the tall wolf asks, slightly craning his neck in your direction.

"Mhm?" you ask, looking back at him, eyes half lidded.

"Are you alright? You don't look very well..." Summit asks, worried.

"Oh, yeah I'm fine. Have a little headache is all, came outta nowhere honestly..." you sigh.

"Do you want to go home? I still have your keys on me." Summit offered, pulling the car keys from his pocket.

He saw you think for a moment, before you cringed and put your head in your hand. You quietly groan in pain.

"Nah, you can keep the car for tonight. I don't think I can drive, I'll just take a cab or somethin'."

"Okay...are you sure?" Summit asked, putting a hand on your shoulder.

"Yeah, I'm sure. I brought the spare key with me too, so I should be alright. Don't worry about me, okay?" you said.

Summit couldn't really help but worry about you a little bit. You were rather special to him after all.

"...okay. I'll try. Text me so I know you got home safe." he said.

"Yeah, I will. I'll see you when you get back, if I'm up that is." you chuckle.

"Heh, I'll probably barely be awake either," Summit replied. "There's some aspirin in my bathroom cabinet, that should help with your headache."

"Noted."

"M'kay, you should get home and rest. I'll see you in the morning." Summit said, bending down and kissing you on your cheek.

He notices how you giggled and put your hand to your cheek sort of like a schoolgirl. To you it may have been a weird thing to do, but to Summit it was one of the cutest things he's ever seen you do, as if you already being cute to him wasn't enough.

He watches as you pull out your phone and start down the street, disappearing from his view.

Saturday
10:39 PM
Club Stratus, Moonlight District, NMC

Kloss had stepped aside to take a call from his ex-wife. Something about his son, but he didn't sound too concerned. However, who was concerned was whoever called Summit through his little earpiece. It was a very panicked Travis.

"Hel-"

"He-Hey, Snowden! We have a, uh, situation inside. Kloss wouldn't answer so you're kiiiinda our best bet right now."

"Uhm...alright. Is everything okay? Nobody's hurt or anything right?" the concerned bouncer asked.

"No, well...not yet? I dunno, there's a girl with a broken bottle threatening a guy. I'm kind of freaking out..." Travis replied, his voice lowering into almost a whisper.

"Okay, I'll be in there in a moment. Let me just tell Kloss that I'll be gone for a while." Summit said.

"Oh, thank god, you're a life saver!" the relieved bartender sighed, before hanging up.

Summit straightens his clothes out, as his undershirt had gotten a little wrinkled, and he wanted to look professional and intimidating, since that was the only reason he was hired.

He walks over to Kloss, whose still on the phone, sounding a little frustrated. Summit walks over and taps the man on the shoulder.

"Ugh, WHAT?!" Kloss shouts, making Summit's ears lower in fear and embarrassment. He had never been good when people yelled at him.

As soon as Kloss saw who he blew up at, the angry scowl on his face softened. He knew that Summit would always slightly cower when people would raise their voice at him. He didn't let it deter him though, as he quickly composed himself and cleared his throat.

"Uhm, I'm very sorry for the interruption, but there is a situation I've been called to handle inside. You wouldn't mind taking my place for a bit, would you? I promise it won't take long." Summit said.

"Huh, oh yeah, that's fine I don't mind. I can cover." Kloss replied.

"Great. I'll hopefully be back shortly." Summit said, walking into the club.

"Oh, and uh, Snowb-Snowden?"

"Yes?"

"Sorry I yelled at ya. You...didn't deserve that."

...
.....

"It's...it's alright, Kloss." Summit said, opening the metal door and walking inside, the loud music fading in and out before the door closes, leaving Kloss out in the dark, with only the incessant rambling of his child's mother on the other line to keep him company.

A minute later, inside of the club...

Usually patrons would be strewn out. Some would be at the bar, trying to forget their problems, some would be on the dance floor jamming to some type of music that Summit mostly found intolerable, and others would be on the sides or on the walls, talking with half full drinks in their hands.

But tonight, all of that usually monotonous activity had been disrupted. In the center of the floor, were two people that Summit recognized.

Jessica Han...and Derek Tipton. The couple whose identification he had checked a few hours earlier, who seemed like a completely normal couple, were now having an argument. Derek had his hands up to his face, and Jessica was holding up the neck of a broken bottle, swinging it wildly like a buccaneer with a sword.

Summit nonchalantly walks up behind Jessica, and in one swift motion, takes the bottle from her hand, all without cutting himself. An angry, drunk Jessica immediately starts grabbing at the air, but she couldn't reach, obviously.

"Give it back, I'm gonna fucking kill him!" the small woman shouts, venom dripping from her words.

"Please, man! Stop her, she thinks I cheated when I was hanging out with my sister on her birthday!" Derek sobs.

"Oh right, your sister! Don't think I don't know that's your sneaky link, you asshole!"

"Wha-?! Sneaky link?! This is Pennsylvania not Alabama!" Derek shouts back, tears still pouring down his face.

"Right, because you have hearts by that bitch Bethany's name!"

"My sisters name is Tara, why are you doing this?!"

Summit steps in between the two, holding his arms out to keep the irate woman back. He then turns to a crying Derek.

"What happened here?" he asks.

"She-she saw me laughing at a picture of me and my sister and she thought she was my side-chick..." the fox sniffled.

"No, I know she's the side chick because I saw her all up on him in his car!"

Gasps ran throughout the crowd that had formed near the fight scene. Summit sees Derek crumple as he tries to hide his face...poor guy.

"I was giving her a hug before she-wait how did you know?! Were you spying on me?! Why?! I've never even been unfaithful to you!" Derek yells.

Now Jessica didn't say anything. Her eyes sort of glazed over, but soon that look turned back into one of rage again. But before she got a chance to yell...

...Jessica puked. All. Over. The. Floor.

"Augh, ew!" Derek said, disgusted.

Travis gagged from behind the bar, and other patrons looked away. Summit checked himself over, and after realizing he was clear of vomit, he went to check on Jessica, who was holding her hand up as she dry heaved.

Just then, a saving grace walked into the room. The one, the only, Kloss. He saw the situation, and walked over.

"I'll take this girl to the bathroom, call a cleanup crew and get that guy outside. Let him calm down." he said, walking a woozy Jessica towards the restroom.

Summit turns towards Derek, who seems to be a little panicked. He walks towards him, gently placing his hand on his shoulder and guiding him out.

The two canines walk outside into the cold city air, and they both stand by the wall.

"I'm...sorry about her. I don't know what happened..." the fox said.

"It's quite alright, this isn't the first couples quarrel I've seen," Summit replied. "How are you feeling now?"

"I'm...I'm good. Just not really a fan of being the center of attention, y'know? I get anxious."

"I understand completely, I tend to try to stay out of the spotlight as well."

"Yeah..."

The two didn't speak for a little, with Derek pulling out a cigarette and a lighter.

"You smoke?" he asks, holding up the tiny box.

Summit did indeed smoke, but not a lot. The last time he did was maybe when he was twenty-seven. But...now would be a nice time to indulge. He plucked a cigarette out of the box and put it between his lips.

After Derek lit his, he lit Summit's as well, and the two just chilled outside, taking drags from their cigs. Eventually, a sobered up Jessica walked outside, her red dress disheveled, tears pouring down her face. Without a word, Derek gave Summit a thankful nod, and walked Jessica to their car, where they then drove away.

Sunday
12:17 AM
Club Stratus, Moonlight District, NMC

Summit and Kloss were in the locker room, grabbing their things after taking off their uniforms and putting them into their bags. Summit was just sliding on his hoodie, while Kloss was taking his keys and cellphone from his locker.

"Kloss?" Summit asks.

"Yes?"

"May I ask...what your first name is?"

This question caught Kloss a little off guard. He knew Summit's first name but just called him Snowden or Snowball because...well, why not?

"Uh...why?" he asked, smoothing back his curly black hair.

"I just...consider you as a friend. I'd like it if we were a little less formal with each other...if that's alright with you, of course." the wolf said, taking his own cellphone out of his locker and shutting it with a metallic thud.

"Oh, yeah that's cool. My names Victor, but you can call me Vic." Victor said, swinging his keys around his index finger, the Chevrolet logo glinting in the fluorescent lighting of the room.

"Vic...that's a nice name." Summit said.

"Uh...thanks?"

In silence, Vic and Summit retrieved their belongings and walked out to the curb where the last two remaining cars were parked: yours, and Vic's.

"Damn, how much do they pay you?" Vic asks, ogling your car.

"Oh, this isn't mine. It's actually (Y/N)'s, he just let me use it for the night. He said if I scratched it he'd turn me into a coat." Summit says, chuckling as he unlocks the vehicle.

"Pft, I'd do the same thing!" Vic replies. "But, as much as I'd love to keep chatting, I'm gonna head home now. Night, Sn-Summit."

"Goodnight, Vic." Summit said, getting into the car and starting the engine.

Sunday
2:23 AM
Summit's Apartment, Edgewood, NMC

Summit walked back into his apartment, hanging his keys on the holder, along with yours. He went to the restroom to relieve himself, before coming back out and walking back to the kitchen to get something to drink.

He grabbed a glass from a nearby cabinet and filled it to the brim with water, before gulping it down in less than ten seconds. He puts the glass on the table and trudges to the bedroom, where you're still sound asleep.

The wolf smiles at the sight. It was nice to see someone in his bed who wasn't going to leave early the next morning.

He begins to take off his clothes, putting them all into the hamper in the corner of the room. Then, he crawls into bed next to you, which wakes you.

"Hngh~" you grunt, stretching in place. You turn over and see the large white mass next to you.

"Welcome home." you say groggily.

"Glad to be back." Summit replies with a smile.

"How was work?"

"Almost got puked on, but aside from that it was a rather mundane shift."

"Damn...tell me about that in the morning, though. Right now I'm just gonna lay on my favorite pillow if that's okay..." you said, resting your head on Summit's chest.

"The pillow would be more than fine with that." Summit said, pulling you closer.

End of "Summit The Worker Wolf."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.7K 55 25
After an encounter at a club, the mysterious stranger there turns out to actually play an important role in your job and as you hate to admit, your h...
391K 13.1K 38
My back was pressed against the wall, and our faces were merely inches away. He gently placed a finger below my chin and tilted my face upward. I tri...
712K 20.2K 29
First book of the series. This is my first boyxboy story, I hope you guys will like it. Sorry if you will find any mistakes in my gramma if you'll s...
1.5K 108 42
When I first saw my neighbor, My heart is racing, and I can't see anything. I felt pain in my heart. Just seeing a girl made me feel like I had a hea...