Discover L (Book 2) | Complet...

By EscapeInFiction

~~•~~ Sequel to Unknown L ~~•~~ "Are they alive, or not?" After surviving the battle of her life, things see... More

Author's Note
~ Bad Feeling ~
~ Full Of Surprises ~
~ Ready, Set, No ~
~~ Ready, Set, No ~~
~ Puppet Master ~
~ A Problem Shared ~
~~ A Problem Shared ~~
~ Goblin Grief ~
~~ Goblin Grief ~~
~ Search And Rescue ~
~ It's Your Lucky Day ~
~~ It's Your Lucky Day ~~
~~~ It's Your Lucky Day ~~~
~ Cold Hard Truth ~
~~ Cold Hard Truth ~~
~~~ Cold Hard Truth ~~~
~ A Bit Too Easy ~
~~ A Bit Too Easy ~~
~ Trick Or Troll ~
~~ Trick Or Troll ~~
~ First Impressions Are Lasting ~
~~ First Impressions Are Lasting ~~
~~~ First Impressions Are Lasting ~~~
~ Patience Is A Virtue ~
~~ Patience Is A Virtue ~~
~~~ Patience Is A Virtue ~~~
~ Elves Are Stupid ~
~~ Elves Are Stupid ~~
~ Away With The Fairies ~
~~ Away With The Fairies ~~
~ Minding Their Own Business ~
~~ Minding Their Own Business ~~
~~~ Minding Their Own Business ~~~
~ It's Better This Way ~
~~~ It's Better This Way ~~~
~~~~ It's Better This Way ~~~~
~ What Fresh Hell Is This? ~
~~ What Fresh Hell Is This? ~~
~~~ What Fresh Hell Is This? ~~~
~ Hoodwinked ~
~~ Hoodwinked ~~
~ Together Again ~
~ Pass The Blame ~
~~ Pass The Blame ~~
~~~ Pass The Blame ~~~
~ Denial ~
~~ Denial ~~
~~~ Denial ~~~
~ The Last Keeper ~
~ Epilogue ~

~~ It's Better This Way ~~

16 2 0
By EscapeInFiction

The floor felt like it was wearing thin, thanks to the pacing L had been doing for the last hour. She'd said goodnight to Robbie a few hours before, and he'd promised to speak with Bryce as soon as he got in. Now it was just a waiting game, which gave L time to figure out what she was going to say. She had to push through the sinking feeling of where the conversation could potentially lead, and go straight for solutions.

They needed to be sure they were on the same page before the ball, and in turn, before they left for Paguea. L knew they'd all need their minds sharp and focused for that place. Since she'd begun to think more on that next step, she realised there wasn't much knowledge to go on. All she knew personally, was it had terrible weather and creatures more ferocious than any Demon. There were no maps to follow, the terrain changed constantly thanks to the weather. Any records previous visitors might have had were useless, they'd be going into this one blind.

L wondered what her parents thought she could possibly do to find them once she got to Paguea. She almost kicked herself for not thinking about it sooner. There had to be a way however, her parents wouldn't have sent for her if they didn't think she could make it.

L's patience was starting to wear with the floor, another hour and still nothing. She knew Robbie would tell Bryce that she needed to talk as soon as he got in, but how long would that be? This was getting ridiculous, did his dad keep him this long every night? It was possible he'd returned and was just too tired. No, Bryce wouldn't do that, not if he knew she wanted to talk. Maybe Robbie had fallen asleep before he could tell him.

L frowned, she wasn't sitting around any longer to find out. She walked over and opened her door, popping her head out into the corridor. Robbie's door was closed, and there was nobody else around. L crept across the landing, purposely making no sound in case anyone was listening. She tapped on the door to Robbie's room, the seconds passed but she received no answer. L's brow furrowed, she considered whether to go in anyway or leave it until morning.

But she knew she couldn't do that, she really wanted to speak to Bryce and who knew if they'd get the chance after tonight. She knocked again, louder this time. She could at least speak to Robbie and make sure things were okay. After a moment she heard shuffling inside, the door opened and Robbie appeared. His hair was disheveled and his eyes bleary, he stared down at her in confusion.

"L, what's wrong?"

L peered around him into the room, there was nobody there that she could sense.

"I was waiting for Bryce but it's really late, I thought you might have fallen asleep and missed your chance to tell him."

Robbie rubbed his eyes, "Nope, he hasn't been back at all. If he had I would have made him come to see you."

L arched a brow, watching him stifle a yawn, knowing full well he would have likely been asleep had Bryce come back.

"Where could he be? His parents wouldn't have him working through the night before the ball, would they?" Robbie shrugged and L peered down the corridor.

Robbie walked out to join her, "I don't know what to say, L. You're welcome to wait in here for Bryce though, then you definitely won't miss him."

L stared from his room, to hers. She didn't want to seem pushy, waiting around for Bryce just to bother him with her worries. But could this really wait?

"Okay yeah, I think I will wait here for him."

"Do you want anything?" Robbie asked, padding across the room back to his bed.

L walked to the foot of the bed and dropped to sit on the floor where there was a dark blue sleepimg bag and pillow. "Nah, I'll be fine here." 

"Okay, wake me up if you need to."

The snoring started before L could even thank him. She smiled to herself, leaning against the bed frame as she stared at the door. Where could Bryce be at this time of night? And what did his parents have him doing? She tried not to think about whether it was dangerous, even if it were she'd have a hard time getting to him. She was stuck here, waiting and wondering.

L felt herself slipping down the frame and fidgeted upright. She was starting to feel sleepy, being in the Elf Kingdom was apparently taking its toll; but she couldn't let herself get lazy, not with everything that lay ahead. She pushed herself to stay awake, watching and listening at the door while she sifted through some Elven folk tales. L found herself slipping again, only this time she disturbed the sleeping bag and Bryce's scent intensified around her.

L found herself laying on the sleeping bag, finding comfort in being surrounded by Bryce's smell, even if she couldn't be with him. After a moment she crawled into the sleeping bag, it wouldn't hurt to be comfortable while she waited. She lay on her back, staring up at the ceiling and listened to the night. She could hear curtains rustling in the distance, papers being shuffled somewhere else, and the odd grunt of Robbie's snoring.

The palace was quiet, peaceful even. L hadn't really appreciated it until now, her life was always so chaotic and loud. Someone wanting something from her; to listen, to do as she's told, to stop running, to fight. But the nights she'd spent here so far had consistently been her own, as if the Elves had a curfew on bugging her. L found herself drifting with those thoughts, she was sure when Bryce found her there he'd wake her to find out why.

She curled onto her side and let sleep take her. A flash of dreams, barely enough to focus on, swam before her eyes in a constant, dizzying stream. L felt the rush of relief when the sound of the door opening woke her. She had no idea how long she'd slept for but it was still dark out. She went to turn and greet Bryce when an unfamiliar scent struck her. It was too strong to be something he'd brought in on him; her guard was up, her body poised. Whoever was coming through the door was not Bryce.

L could hear their steady breathing while they crept into the room, they were trying to be as silent as possible. She had to think quickly, she couldn't determine their intentions and wasn't about to get complacent. She had to stop the intruder, keep them from escaping so she could find out what they wanted; she also needed to protect Robbie, he couldn't transform in here.

The crackling sound of magic suddenly launched L into action. She turned fully, finding the stranger leaning over her. They were hooded, covered by darkness and in their hands two balls of colour changing magic. Each aimed towards L's chest, the figure raised their hands just as L rolled to the side. She scowled and shot out a hand, Elf magic pulsed from her fingertips.

The attacker managed to dodge it, losing their own summoned magic in the process. L jumped to her feet, firing volley after volley. The walls were ablaze, and Robbie awoke with a start. L didn't have time to explain, she needed to stop this fight before it went any further. She urged Robbie to run, it was the perfect distraction.

The moment she gestured to him, and he jumped up to head for the door, her attacker turned as though to fight him as well. L smirked, it was exactly what she wanted. Using a combination of magic she encased her attacker in a barrier. It was similar to those she'd used in the past, but instead of being designed for protection, L reinforced this one to be more of a prison.

The attacker struggled, attempting to use magic to free themselves. L felt the strain and had to concentrate to stop them from breaking out. Robbie walked around to where she was standing, his wide eyes taking in the scene.

"What in the hell just happened?"

"I'll explain soon, gotta concentrate. Go get the guard. And ask for Bryce, Keeper's orders."

L would never usually pull rank but this was important, and the royals would be unlikely to refuse- it wouldn't look good.

Robbie ran from the room, and L used the time while she was waiting to try and get a better look at who the assailant might be. Their hood still covered their face, and they were trying their hardest to break free. L wouldn't, couldn't, let that happen.

"Who are you and why were you trying to kill me?"

There was no answer, only renewed efforts to escape. L couldn't fathom why someone would come to kill her now, she'd been there long enough they could've done it days ago.

"I said, who are you and why were you trying to kill me?"

Still no answer, and L could tell from the strain of their breathing that whoever it was was livid. Maybe failure hadn't been an option for them, but L was definitely a fan of disappointing people. She watched the stranger in the barrier, how they moved, their gloved hands and hooded shape gave nothing away as to who they were.

She had no choice but to wait until reinforcements arrived. The room was slowly being engulfed in flames, the smoke was thick and made L cough, but she couldn't risk moving and losing her grip on the barrier. Luckily it was barely five minutes later when her back up came rushing in. Six members of the royal guard, along with Robbie and Bryce, and the king and queen. Everyone besides Robbie was fully dressed, but equally as confused.

Bryce rushed to L's side and began dousing the flames. "What happened?" He called to L.

"I'll explain, someone grab them." She gestured with her head to the figure thrashing in the barrier.

Their efforts seemed to have doubled since the royal guard had arrived. Bryce gestured for the guard to surround the barrier and the moment L lowered her magic, they used theirs to restrain the attacker. Ropes of orange magic held their arms, wrists, legs, feet and torso, making it impossible for them to move, let alone escape.

L took a deep breath, letting the relief wash over her. Bryce turned to face L, his concern vying with something else, L didn't realise what it was until he pulled her in for a hug. She felt the same emotion wash over her, tightening her arms around him. They wouldn't say how much they'd missed each other, not while there were so many onlookers. The hug conveyed what they needed it to, for now. When they pulled away Bryce checked her over.

"Are you alright?"

L coughed, trying to clear the smoke she'd inhaled from her lungs, "I'm fine, mostly annoyed and confused."

Bryce turned as L did, facing the attacker who now had their head bowed. They could do nothing while L and Bryce approached.

"I think we should probably get to the bottom of this then. Find out exactly what's going on."

Bryce reached out and pulled the attackers hood down. A collective gasp rippled throughout the room, L felt her jaw drop to the floor. Latia's defiant face stared back at them, her eyes were cold and her lip curled when she glared from L to Bryce. She looked like a completely different Elf, older and more cutthroat, which was made more evident by the deadly magic she'd wielded moments before.

"Latia, you... but why? Why would you want to kill me?"

She didn't respond at first, but there was no remorse in her expression. She didn't care about what she'd done, only about escaping, which she made obvious when she eyed the window. She was so far removed from the timid girl who helped them out and worried about getting into trouble.

L couldn't take her eyes off of Latia while she relayed the story of what happened to everyone listening. Someone gasped when she mentioned the colourful magic hanging above her sleeping form, but it was the next part that would get them. L paused, something about the way Latia held herself through the retelling, it reminded L of somebody, and gave her an idea.

"...and that's when she failed, a big shameful defeat. I didn't even break a sweat fighting her, not the assassin I would have sent for such an important mission." L shrugged it off like she was disappointed, "Whoever sent her did a poor job, she's good at fooling people into thinking she's innocent but not so much at killing th-"

"Oh would you just shut up! I wasn't here to kill you, that's why I hesitated." Latia blurted suddenly, it was as though she couldn't stop herself from correcting L.

And it was exactly what L had been hoping for, more information. Her mind was racing, if she hadn't been there to kill L then, she thought for a moment it might have been Robbie. But that wouldn't make sense, there was no strategic advantage to that. No, it was definitely the other occupant of the room, the one most didn't know about. And Bryce came to the same realisation a second after L did, they shared a glance of triumph before turning on Latia.

"You work for him, don't you? You think I'm a no-good, flighty Prince who wants to change too much. A rule breaker who comes and goes, with no regard for tradition."

Latia snorted, "That's exactly what you are, I've seen it for myself. If it weren't for your parents forcing you to work, you wouldn't do a thing to help your own kin." She glared at L and kept on ranting. "You're ready to drop your duties and help the Keeper no matter the cost. You're an embarrassment and a traitor. Torias will be a better leader than you could ever hope to be."

Bryce nodded as though expecting her answer. L was still missing a few pieces but she got the general idea, finally having a name to put to the Elf who'd been trying to kill Bryce and take his throne. And apparently he was still getting others to do his dirty work, L couldn't get over the fact that Latia's whole personality since they'd been there was an act. She couldn't help questioning the motives of every Elf they'd met so far. She knew that was a slippery slope down a rabbit hole of paranoia, and she couldn't afford that right now. They were all okay and Bryce didn't seem worried, that was a good sign.

"The fact that you watched me so closely the last two weeks and didn't learn that I've changed, really shows that L was right about you. You're a terrible assassin, and informant. I hope you spread those lies to Torias, and I hope he tries to act on them. We'll see who triumphs."

Latia began spitting profanities in Elvish, making more threats to Bryce's life.

It was then that the king and queen finally intervened- up until now they seemed to have purposely left Bryce to handle things.

"Aldrid, take Latia to the dungeons and see that she has guards you personally can vouch for. We will be along shortly, there is much to discuss." The king's gaze was cold and calculating.

Aldrid did as he was instructed and the guard escorted Latia out, still chained and still shouting obscenities. Once she was out of earshot, L let out a sigh of relief and leaned into Bryce's side. She wondered at the warmth and peace it brought her, his arm moving around her shoulder calming the storm of her mind if just for a moment.

"We apologise for that messy encounter, Keeper. This should not have happened." The queen looked deeply embarrassed by the whole situation.

"It's fine, nobody was hurt and you can't really be blamed for her betrayal."

"Nevertheless, we clearly didn't vet her properly and you, or your friend, or even Brycathlen could have paid the price. No, please accept our humblest apologies." They turned their heads to acknowledge Robbie in their apology.

He looked awkward and quickly nodded his acceptance. L inclined her head, just ready to get the whole situation dealt with.

The royals seemed satisfied. "We will attend to Latia and the matter of her treachery. The three of you should get some sleep, we will arrange new accommodation for your friend as soon as possible, Keeper." They gestured to Robbie.

"Actually, I'd prefer that he stay with me now. Just so I can be sure he's safe."

L didn't mean any offense, but it was clear there were holes in the Elves defences. The royals didn't hide their real reactions for once, accepting the flaw. L almost felt the need to sit down, this was fairly unprecedented for Elves to admit their wrongs.

"We understand, arrangements will be made for him to move with you." They turned from L to Bryce. "Brycathlen, I think it prudent you stay in a new, secure room for toni-"

"Actually, I'm going to stay with L and Robbie tonight, if that's okay with them?"

L's brow raised, not that she wasn't pleased to hear he'd be spending time with her, but there were clearly traitors in the palace. Wouldn't he be safer somewhere more heavily guarded?

His parents must have had similar thought processes.

"It would be wiser to have you under guard, there is no telling whether Latia had an accomplice."

"And if she did, they'll only step things up now by coming for the one person who matters the most to me. If I'm with L, we can protect each other, we've managed before with worse threats. We're better together."

L felt her heart thud loudly, and she knew all with enhanced hearing would have noticed it too. Bryce's tone was so strong, so confident, he meant every word and L's butterflies flapped up a storm in her stomach. She flushed scarlet and looked at the soot stained floor to avoid any awkwardness.

She could hear in the king's voice that he felt it too. 

"Fine, yes, that will suffice. I advise extra caution until we investigate, don't let your guards down."

"Do be sure to get some rest for the ball tomorrow, we could certainly use the merriment after this dreadful night."

The king and queen left immediately afterwards. L could hear them arranging to have the three of them moved to a bigger room. Preparations were made to be sure nobody besides the five of them and one trusted housekeeper knew where they went.

"And then there were three." L smiled, looking between the two of them and feeling better than she had in over a week.

"It feels so good to be back with you guys, are you both alright?"

L nodded, the attack felt like business as usual now, it wasn't something she was phased by anymore. But being tricked by Latia still bugged her.

"I'm not," Robbie stated in barely more than a whisper.

L and Bryce turned to him, watching how his expression had soured and he looked guilty? 

"What's wrong?" L asked, wondering if it was the betrayal or the attack that had shaken him.

"Because I think this might have been my fault."

"How?"

"Well, I kinda might have let it slip to Latia while we were talking once that Bryce stayed with me." Robbie winced, looking to Bryce apologetically he rushed to continue. "I thought she was on our side, I didn't know she'd use it to try and carry out an assassination."

Bryce was already shaking his head, "It's not your fault, you weren't to know. There were probably things we all said that cemented her plan into action. But none of us made her come in here and attack, she did that herself. Or with Torias' instruction I should say."

"I take it he's the guy who sent Kreleth after you?"

Bryce nodded, walking towards the door, but not before grabbing L's hand in his and pulling her along.

"That's him, he's a traditionalist who thinks Elves are the 'mightiest species' and we should keep to the old ways because they've worked this long. They haven't, he's just so out of touch he doesn't see the problems it causes, mainly because he doesn't want to. He's a stubborn, egotistical, self righteous maniac who'll do anything to get what he wants, and I mean anything. He's got far too many supporters and they all believe he's right about the way things are. It's tough to navigate but nothing I can't handle."

He added the last part after looking down to see L chewing her lip in thought. She stopped and gave him a short smile.

"I can't help worrying, your duties are important and more so now..." L trailed off.

She didn't want to think about her reason for being in Robbie's room in the first place. She had Bryce here now and didn't want to go to the painful place she knew that conversation would likely go. Instead she pushed her worries down and allowed herself to enjoy this time with Bryce.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

218 20 17
Welcome to the Unknown Kingdom; the Bewitched Kingdom. A land that doesn't just flourish with magic but ruled with it. Phoenix is seventeen, granted...
56.5K 1.5K 9
She has the magic to save her friends-but it'll cost their trust to use it... Lallie Nonsire Cobbleson is no stranger to prejudice. Between her herit...
941 77 10
Different is the story of a girl who was born half vampire and half werewolf. Her whole life she has been running away from vampires on the hunt for...