Hades' Halls

By ClassicalCeltic

All is not well in the underworld; particularly the little nook which Hades called his office. Hell's numbers... More

The Plan
September - The Underwhelming Joy of Freshers - Part 1
The underwhelming joy of freshers - Part 2
The Underwhelming joy of freshers - Part 3
The Underwhelming Joy of Freshers - Part 4
The Underwhelming Joy of Freshers Part 5
Desperate Times
Questions and smashed china
Revelations
Mr Fahrenheit
Ashes to Ashes
Heady Days
Croquet and Xylophones
Demonic Joviality
Thank God for Yoga
Rebel Yell
Death
Love conquers all
Associates
Go to Hell
Hounds of War
Family troubles
Secrets and Confessions
Rude Awakening
Broadsword calling
Testy

Protein and plans

15 1 5
By ClassicalCeltic

"What are we going to do?".

A chorus of mumblings worked their way around the table in reply to Lydia's question. No one was particularly sure .... Sod that. No one had any bloody clue what to do. What was one to do in such a situation? They had signed a deal with the devil. True it was a housing contract, but it was one hundred and three pages long with an appendix and some nasty footnotes, so the point stands.

"Isn't is obvious" said Seb, head lowered over his hands. "We do as he says".

Everyone at the table looked at Seb, bewildered. Defeat was not something any of them had expected from the happy go lucky boy with the easy smile and infectious laugh. But Seb had not been himself since they had learnt the truth about their landlord, that was transparent. The information had effected the boy far more than it had his fellow sufferers and although he had awoken from his catatonic state of shock, it was as though his soul had been lost.

"Stop being such a drama queen Seb. It doesn't suit you". Georgie said this jovially, but her breeziness was only a mask to conceal her concern. She did not like what had happened to her friend, it pained her to see him this way and she only wished she knew how to bring him back.

Seb looked at her blackly, then shrugging, went back to staring at the table in front of him.

"What if we....", Mats was cut off as the waitress came over and, smiling, set their plates down on the table.

"Here you are my loves", she said, her accent thicker than pea soup. "Just give me a shout if you need anything else".

She then left them to contemplate their breakfasts and impending doom.

"You were going to say something Mats", Georgie said, placing a fork in Seb's limp hand and pushing what can only be described as a slab of chocolate cake under his nose.

"What could he possible say which could help us?", Eloise said. She looked at Mats with scorn but then her eyes travelled to a spot behind his right shoulder and her face stilled. She had seen her reflection. The others prepared to seek cover.

"It's ok Eloise", Lydia tried to sooth her. "You can barely notice it".

"Half my eyebrow is gone", Eloise whispered. Then more loudly she repeated "Half my eyebrow is gone. And none of you thought to tell me."

No one would meet her eyes, there was too much to fear in them.

"It really isn't that bad", said Lydia desperately, "and it will grow back. Besides, I think it looks rather roguish".

Eloise looked at Lydia, back at the mirror then at Lydia again. "You think".

"Oh yeah", Lydia said, giving a nod and a smile which conveyed much.

The boys, including Seb, all looked at each other, eyebrows raised. Georgie looked at them, mouthing 'What?'.

Advik rubbed her head affectionately. Georgie looked at him then down at the table, tapping her fingers. Humans are weird, she thought (Footnote 1). 

"I don't know", said Mats, bringing Lydia and Eloise back into the real world once more. That is, the horror film of a real world which they seem to have walked into."What are we going to do?"

"We are going to have to trick him", said Georgie with certainty. "Don't ask me how just yet, my brain is still working through possibilities that don't get us killed or damned for eternity. Or both", she added as an afterthought. "That would really not be ideal. Completely mess up my plans to plat the Sax in the Heavenly Choir".

"You play the Saxaphone?", Mats asked, side-tracked by this new information.

"I was going to learn".

"Georgie", Seb asked, revived a little by the sugar. "How are you so cool about all of this. You seem to know exactly what to do and what to say. I don't understand."

Georgie shrugged. "I read a lot of books".

"What do you mean trick him?", asked Eloise, leaning on her elbows, her eyebrows – sorry – eyebrow and a half screwed in thought. "Make him think we are complying when we aren't? How do you suggest we do that? I personally can't see a way."

"I'm still thinking", said Georgie, rubbing her head.

"It is impossible", Mats said with woe. "He is the devil. He knows everything".

"Yep", said Seb, defiantly more with it, but just as dejected.

"Errrrr, I don't think so", said Georgie, shaking her head. "Sure, he is the devil and has a few nasty tricks up his perfectly laundered sleeves, but I don't think he has it all together. Personally – minded, I'm speaking as an engineer not a psychologist – I think they guy's a mess."

Eloise made a face. "And is this based off hard evidence or is it just a hunch?"

"I trust Georgie's hunches", Advik said, looking up from the heart attack on a plate he was devouring with unnatural speed.

"Me too", said Lydia, earning her a scowl from Eloise which she ignored.

"Here's what I think we should do ... are you going to eat that?".

Mats' pushed his untouched full English over to Advik.

"Here is what I think we should do", Advik repeated. "We should join a cult".

Seb banged his head on the table in abject hopelessness, while Eloise threw up her hands.

"And this is what happens when a lump of muscle decides it has a brain", Eloise proclaimed, earning her some rather confused looks from the host of middle-aged ladies drinking tea at the table next to them.

"Muscles don't need brains to think, Eloise. They react and reaction is what we need right now", Advik said, sending a shock wave rippling round the table.

"So this is what happens when we give you protein", said Georgie. "Go on Advik".

Georgie felt terrible. She loved the brawny athlete, despite the fact he kept her awake with his midnight workouts in the room above hers. But she had always thought of him as a dependable rock, a machine which could go on forever as long as you kept it well fuelled. But now she was beginning to realise she had underestimated him. Advik had yet to speak his plan but something in the air told her it was good, not just good, it was a chance, perhaps the chance they needed. Georgie swore she would never underestimate anyone again.

"Ok,", said Advik, "so we join a cult. We don't actually have to do anything. We just show up to the meetings and tell Hades what they talk about and stuff. We don't have to give him details or anything. But we could just do it as a start. We don't have to agree with what they say, we can just go. Our souls won't be damned but we get to shower with hot water."

"Advik", Georgie said. "I could kiss you".

This made Seb look up from his cake and glare at Advik. Georgie would have been thrilled to see her friend displaying signs of energy once more, but her eyes were elsewhere.

Advik seemed to consider Georgie's proposal then said, "I'd rather you join BodyBuilding Soc. We could use someone small. Makes the competition nervous."

Georgie held out a hand. "Done". They shook firmly.

'Oh, dear Lord, what have I done?' Georgie thought as they pulled their hands away.

"I know it's not my job to bring the mood down", said Lydia, tilting her head towards Eloise. "But, how exactly are we going to join a cult".

The others all looked at Advik expectantly. He shrugged. "I'll ask around the rugby lot. We have a social on Friday, should be pretty easy".

"All right then", said Georgie, clapping her hands together. "What do you say Seb, fancy joining a cult?".

Seb looked at her, feeling a little of his old self coming back. His head and heart still ached, but Georgie was looking at him so hopefully.

"Why not", he said, attempting a small smile.

Georgie beamed. "Goof stuff. You need more cake. Actually, so do I. I'll get it."

As Georgie left to order a round of Victoria sponge, Mats leant forward.

"How do cults work in this country?"

The others did not quite know how to respond.

"You might want to rephrase that mate", Eloise said, unable to help a smile tugging at her lips. "People might get the wrong idea."

Mats thought about what he had said, translating it back into Norwegian.

"Oh", he said after a moment. "You are right".

Georgie returned and still standing, raised her hot chocolate in a toast.

"To the cause", she said. "Whatever it may be".

"The cause", the others agreed, before sipping on their drinks and thinking ahead to the future.

1. I mean, come on, tell me she's wrong. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

69.6K 566 10
FULL STORY NOW ON KINDLE UNLIMITED New Olympus: a secret haven where Greek mythology comes to life and mortals possess godly powers. Leila is the ci...
13.1K 515 14
Death is what comes to people like a thief in the night, snatching them with no intentions of bringing them back. Death is a nagging parent that you...
265K 6.2K 34
Hi, my name is Lucy, I'm going to be telling you my story, about how I went from being a high school nerd to being the goddess of life and death.
Hades By caitlin

Teen Fiction

3.9M 145K 32
Evie Autumn, like almost every other nineteen year old was just your average, unassuming, everyday girl. She attended university, she had that one qu...