GLORY OR VALHALLA | BJORN IRO...

By arios2004

In which after the numerous losses she was forced to experience, Ylva the Dread begins to lose herself, slowi... More

GLORY OR VALHALLA
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17

18

906 19 6
By arios2004

GLORY OR VALHALLA
— 18. Farewell

In Kattegat, Ylva and Bjorn had called forth the people of both Kattegat for a great announcement. They stood together, overlooking their subjects from their second kingdom. Ylva had already traveled with Rorik, her heir, to Ashton, where she asked for their support in fighting King Harald's rule. Of course, Ylva's subjects agreed without hesitation that Ylva was their one true ruler and would die before letting King Harald come and take that right from her.

"People of Kattegat!" Bjorn shouted in a low tone, "Your Queen and I have suffered an immense defeat. King Harald Finehair has defeated us in the election for the kingship of Norway. Perhaps we had underestimated our opponent. Whatever the case, King Harald Finehair is now King of Noway! And we are isolated, vulnerable, and alone. My wife fears he will launch an attack very soon as we are a prize worth taking. Two great and prosperous kingdoms that have been united now for many years. Knowing what you know now, do you want us to step down as your rulers? If you do, you can pledge your allegiance to King Harald and save Kattegat and Ashton from destruction."

The crowds seemed to exchange looks with each other yet none spoke up.

Unable to bear it anymore, Ylva stepped forward. "I am ashamed of all of you!" She spoke up in a loud tone, looking around at the crowds of men and women, "Here stands the son of Ragnar Lothbrok asking for your support. You know Bjorn. And you know me. You know of what he and I have achieved. And now he tells you that perhaps the gods don't favor him anymore. But I don't believe that is the case."

She paused and grabbed Bjorn's hand. She held it and smiled at him slightly, just before looking back at the crowd. "I think the gods love Bjorn Ironside. As I do. As you all do. You love Bjorn. Just as you love me. And you have every reason to do so. You should acclaim him. What other hero would you want, if not Bjorn?" She continued as she watched the crowds light their torches in support, "Here stands Bjorn Ironside! He fights for you! As I fight for you!"

The crowd began to cheer and Ylva began to walk around, continuing her speech. "King Harald wants the kingdoms of Kattegat and Ashton. But he will never have them. They are rightfully ours and none shall take them from us. Bjorn and I will fight until our dying breath for you all, as will our children. For you are not just our subjects, you are our people, our friends, and our family. We have fought together, we have spilled blood together! We are all a family here! And what does a family do? We protect and fight for each other. And that is what we shall do!"

"All Hail King Bjorn! All hail Queen Ylva!" The crowds shouted and Bjorn turned to Ylva, who smiled at her.

He moved closer to her, wasting no time kissing her. "We shall fight side by side once more," He reminded her and Ylva nodded.

"And none shall come between us," She agreed in a stern tone, "I will fight for you, our family, and this land until my dying breath, do you understand?"

"As will I," He agreed and pressed his forehead against hers, the crowds chanting their name around them.

____

It was morning time and Bjorn sat alone outside, wearing a hooded cloak. He saw from a distance as Asa and Thyra played together, Rorik, Halig, and Gyda standing near them.

Feeling someone place a hand on his shoulder, Bjorn turned. He relaxed when he saw it was Ylva.

"It's time I told you of what has been troubling me," She confessed and knelt in between his legs while facing him.

"What is it?" he asked, a concerned look on his face.

"Since Freya's death, I've been haunted by the ghost of my father," Ylva confessed with a fearful look on her face, "I see him everywhere and sometimes he speaks to me. It feels as though he is truly here with me when I know he has been dead many years now."

"Is he here right now?" Bjorn asked, eying Ylva closely.

He watched her slowly turn and look out into the town. He saw nothing but by the look on Ylva's face, he knew for her it was the opposite.

She turned to face him once more, her face paling as she nodded. "Yes," She spoke softly and Bjorn sighed in defeat, "I fear I'm going mad."

"You are not going mad, alright?" Bjorn argued in a stern tone and he rushed to hug her, "You are not going mad. I cannot explain why this is happening to you because I have never experienced it before. But perhaps in time, the gods will help us understand. Perhaps this is all a part of their plan."

"I hope so," Ylva whispered, watching as her father approached her children, a sinister look on his face.

_____

It was evening and Amma walked through Kattegat, searching for Rorik. She stopped at a certain cabin, letting out a deep sigh due to a part of her feeling as though she knew what was occurring inside.

Inside the cabins, Rorik laid naked with Ingrid's head rested on her chest. "We must not do this anymore," Rorik admitted in a soft tone, feeling guilty even being there.

He wanted to be with Amma, but there was something about Ingrid's words to him that led to him returning to her bed that night. It was like he was under her spell but Ingrid was no witch. As far as he knew.

"I love Amma. She is to be my wife in due time and she is the mother of our unborn child. This is not fair to her," Rorik explained and shook his head in disapproval, "She carries my child yet I am here, in bed with you. It is not right. It is not fair."

"That is not you talking, Rorik," Ingrid replied in a calm tone, "Those are just some words you have rehearsed."

Slowly, Ingrid turned to look deeply into the young man's eyes. "Look inside yourself," She spoke softly as she pressed a kiss to his bare chest, "What do you truly want?"

Rorik sighed, shaking his head. "I have made so many mistakes. I don't want to lie to Amma. I love her. She does not deserve this."

"Don't you think Amma knows?" Ingrid replied in an aggravated tone as she laid back down, "Of course, she knows. The whole world knows you are unable to be tied to one woman for the rest of your life."

Ingrid turned to face him once more, staring deeply in his eyes. "How long are we on this earth, Rorik, that we should deny ourselves what we most want and desire? You know you want to be with me. You know you cannot escape my desire."

Rorik was about to speak up to argue when Ingrid pressed her lips against his and kissed him passionately. "Nor want to," She continued before kissing him again.

Soon enough, Rorik began to kiss back and Ingrid climbed onto him. She grinded against him, just before allowing Rorik inside of her. They gasped at the same time with pleasure as Ingrid rocked back and forth.

Rorik stared up at Ingrid, groaning in pleasure yet another part of him felt ashamed. He thought he moved past his whoring ways yet here he was. He was no better than his grandfather when he ruined his marriage with Lagertha by bedding Aslaug and getting her pregnant.

Just then, he turned, seeing Amma standing in the doorway with an unreadable expression on her face. He felt uneasy and Ingrid turned as well, a part of her looking almost satisfied.

Amma smiled slightly, not looking the slightest bit surprised. "I just needed to know for sure," She announced in a calm tone.

Moments later, Amma sat at the foot of the bed, and Rorik got dressed, his head lowered in shame.

"I'm not jealous nor am I hurt," Amma confessed in a calm tone, "I knew what I was getting into when I fell in love with you. I know of the stories. How you bedded half the ladies in Wessex and how many women in both Kattegat and Ashton claim to have borne your children. And I understand you a thirst always in need of being quenched. But this is different. You are in love with Ingrid. If you weren't, what you have with her would have been over long ago. Nothing will change that, either. We cannot control our fate. We must simply accept it."

"What are you saying?" Rorik asked, glancing between Amma and Ingrid, who sat near them wrapped in a blanket.

"I think you should be released from servitude, Ingrid, and that you should marry Rorik," Amma announced, causing both Ingrid and Rorik to stare at her in disbelief, "Both may happen if Rorik speaks to his mother and father, the king and queen, about what is happening between you both."

"What of our intentions to marry?" Rorik questioned, referring to the fact they had been planning to marry in the coming months.

"We know many kings who have married more than one wife. Your father himself has done so. And his father before him proposed the same to Lagertha, I believe. And as a prince, you have that same right," She explained in a calm tone.

"Lagertha turned it down," Rorik reminded Amma, knowing the story all too well about Ragnar's infidelity with Aslaug that led to Lagertha divorcing him and leaving with Bjorn. He knew that because when Lagertha and Bjorn had finally returned, it had been when Ylva had agreed to help Ragnar take back Kattegat. And the rest was history.

"If the two of you are in agreement, we will all go before Queen Ylva and King Bjorn to ask them for their blessing. We may marry and all live together. And our son will have the blessing of having not one, but two mothers."

"I don't know what to say," Rorik replied in a soft tone.

"What?" Amma asked, smiling slightly, "You had no problem sleeping with both of us a moment ago, but the thought of marrying us both scares you? Or perhaps you're just scared of what your parents will think when you bring the ideas before them."

Amma scoffed and stood up to leave. "They will know you are no more than a little boy who thinks with what's in his breeches rather than what's in his head. You have a great proposition here, you'd be a fool to deny it," She explained and left without another word said.

______

The following morning, Bjorn and Ylva approached Ubbe, who was preparing his ship to leave the others to explore. "Why go now?" Bjorn suddenly asked as he walked over to his brother, "It is dangerous."

"We can leave before the ice forms," Ubbe assured him in a calm tone.

Bjorn sighed, knowing there was no way to protest. "As you may. May our gods keep you safe. I love and respect you, as a warrior and as a brother."

"As do I," Ylva responded, smiling slightly.

Ubbe smiled and walked toward them. "We will meet again, brother, Ylva," He spoke to the duo, whom he had looked up to since he was a little boy, "We will talk about our lives and how it has all come to past."

First, Ubbe hugged Ylva and then Bjorn, just before walking back to the boat.

Just then, Ylva turned and frowned, watching Torvi walking up to the boat holding Asa's hand. There was no way she was going to take Asa with them. Was she mad?

"Torvi, you are with child," Ylva argued in a stern tone as she walked up to the woman, "You should not be going on such a journey, especially in the water."

Torvi simply stared up at Ylva, not saying a word. Her expression said enough. Ylva was the last to talk. They all knew that. She had gone into battle pregnant with every single child she ever bore.

"I refuse to let you take my brother's daughter on such a journey. We have already lost Hali. I refuse to lose Asa too," She argued in a stern tone and Torvi nodded in agreement.

"Which is why I ask that you take her under your care," Torvi announced, causing Bjorn and Ylva's eyes to widen in surprise, "Until we are able to return with great news of our findings. And if we do not return, I ask that to you raise and protect her as if she were your own."

"We will," Ylva agreed and watched as Torvi bent down to hug her child.

After saying her goodbyes, she stood up to be face to face with Ylva. "Farewell, Ylva the Dread. You are an astonishing woman and I know no one better to take care of my daughter and raise her to be as great a woman as you. And I pray to the Gods I will be privileged enough to call you Queen of all Norway."

"Coming from you, Torvi, I take that as the greatest compliment," Ylva smiled at the woman, "We have been through much together and I promise to care for your daughter as if she were my own."

The two women smiled and hugged one another before Torvi hugged her daughter one last time. She returned to the boat and Bjorn picked Asa off the ground. He held her in his arms as he and Ylva bid goodbye to Ubbe and Torvi.

"If you find Floki--" Bjorn began to say until Ubbe interrupted him.

"You know I will send word," Ubbe assured his brother in a calm tone.

"Ubbe will find out the truth, Ketill. You should know that," Bjorn reminded the man as he stared down at him.

"I am not afraid of the truth," Ketill assured them as the ship began to sail off.

Bjorn sighed, wrapping an arm around Ylva, who looked saddened to watch Ubbe and Torvi leave.

"All who came before us have died," Ylva announced in a loud tone, "Yet we have prevailed. And now we are going separately on our own paths. And I am saddened by this. Yet I know one day we will all meet again in the halls of the Aesir. Yet our children will remain and we shall live on within them. And they will make us all proud. I just know it. Just as we made our own parents proud. Farewell."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

30.9K 1.1K 24
she wanted to make her own fate. the gods laughed, how would a mortal change what's already set in stone? vikings season 4B - 6B oc x ivar (slow bur...
3.5K 275 14
|ONC 2023 SHORTLISTER| |FEATURED Wattpad Military Fiction| "She wears her strength and darkness equally well. The girl is half goddess and half hell...
35K 1.1K 45
โ SHE HAS THE MINDSET OF A QUEEN AND THE HEART OF A WARRIOR SHE IS EVERYTHING ALL AT ONCE AND TOO MUCH FOR ANYONE WHO DOESN'T DESERVE HER โž - RH - A...
24.7K 550 12
Ivar/OC **I own only the storyline && OCs**