Cupid & Psyche

By BelleBurns

Let's just face it. Every love story has started with a simple crush on someone. All her high school years, P... More

Author's Note to Copyright
Cupid & Psyche
Cupid & Psyche: Chapter One
Cupid & Psyche: Chapter Two
Cupid & Psyche: Chapter Three
Cupid & Psyche: Chapter Four
Cupid & Psyche: Chapter Five
Cupid & Psyche: Chapter Six
Cupid & Psyche: Chapter Seven
Cupid & Psyche: Chapter Eight (Revised Chapter)
Cupid & Psyche: Chapter Nine
Cupid & Psyche: Chapter Ten
Cupid & Psyche: Chapter Eleven
Cupid & Psyche: Chapter Twelve
Cupid & Psyche: Chapter Thirteen
Cupid & Psyche: Chapter Fifteen
Cupid & Psyche: Chapter Sixteen
Cupid & Psyche: Chapter Seventeen
Cupid & Psyche: Chapter Eighteen
Cupid & Psyche: Chapter Nineteen
Cupid & Psyche: Chapter Twenty
Cupid & Psyche: Chapter Twenty-one
Cupid & Psyche: Chapter Twenty-two
Cupid & Psyche: Chapter Twenty-three
Cupid & Psyche: Chapter Twenty-Four
Cupid & Psyche: Chapter Twenty-Five
Cupid & Psyche: Chapter Twenty-Six
Cupid & Psyche: Chapter Twenty-Seven
Cupid & Psyche: Chapter Twenty-Eight
Cupid & Psyche: Chapter Twenty-Nine
Cupid & Psyche: Chapter Thirty
Cupid & Psyche: Chapter Thirty-One
Cupid & Psyche: Chapter Thirty- Two
Cupid & Psyche: Chapter Thirty-Three
Cupid & Psyche: Chapter Thirty-Four
Cupid & Psyche: Chapter Thirty-Five
Cupid & Psyche: Chapter Thirty-Six
Cupid & Psyche: Chapter Thirty-Seven
Cupid & Psyche: Chapter Thirty-Eight
Cupid & Psyche: Chapter Thirty-Nine
Cupid & Psyche: Chapter Forty
Cupid & Psyche: Chapter Forty-One
Cupid & Psyche: Chapter Forty-Two
Cupid & Psyche: Chapter Forty-Three
Cupid & Psyche: Chapter Forty-Four
Cupid & Psyche: Chapter Forty-Five
Cupid & Psyche: Chapter Forty-Six
Cupid & Psyche: Chapter Forty-Seven
Cupid & Psyche: Chapter Forty-Eight
Acknowledgements

Cupid & Psyche: Chapter Fourteen

7.9K 214 8
By BelleBurns

Chapter Fourteen

I badly have this habit of eating a bunch of chocolates when I am in situations that gives me a bummer head and heart ache. Since many believe that chocolates could take your worries away and could even mend your broken heart. But I hardly believe it. Why? Could chocolates bring back the dead to life? Only the creator can.

“So are you happy now that you’ve finally taken something away from me?” I turned around to my twin sister as she faced me with a face of disgust.

I narrowed my eyes at her. “Never in my life have I dreamt of taking away something that is yours.”

“Then I suppose you are not numb.” She retorted with a smile as she stepped closer to me.

“I am not you, Persephone.” I told her.

“I know and never will you be.” She prompted. “Because what is mine is mine. You know me too well, Psyche. We may have been born as twins but clearly we are different. I am always at the front and you…” she circles around me. “…you’re always at the back.”

I scoffed. “Right, for about two hours and you don’t let me forget it.”

She stopped in front of me and she sighed. “To tell you frankly, I don’t know why it has to be you instead of me. You are not even in love with Cupid.”

I looked away as her sapphire eyes bored into me.

“Oh my gosh… you do!” she shrieked teasingly and she narrowed her eyes at me with scorn. “You are not only a taker you are also a bitch.”

“And if I am then what does that make you? A twat?” I raised an eyebrow at her.

She gaped at me in shock. I know I am the only one who could stand up against her.

“Listen, Psyche. I don’t know what the hell our parents are pulling but I’m not going to sit here and just look at you while you start to steal everything that is mine.”

“I am not stealing anything from you, Pers. And if you are referring to Cupid, you two are already over. He said that himself.” I prompted bravely as I matched her blue eyes with my green ones.

She laughed. “He told you that?” she murmured something under her breath.

I opened my mouth to add something but then she continued.

“I don’t care whatever you do, Psyche. But so you know, Cupid is not the guy you would definitely like. I’ve been with the guy before you.”

I feigned touched feelings. “Awww. You care now? How sweet of you.” I crooned.

She looks at me like she’s holding back a bitch-slap. And then she moves smoothly towards me like a snake. “Oh yes I do, sis. I just want to make sure that you are well taken care of. That is why I am just…”

The next thing I know is that she has pushed me to the ground. “…taking you to where you belong. The ground. Right beneath me.”

Before I could get another argument out of my mouth, our sister; Phoebe went out of the house.

“What are you two still doing out here? It’s freezing, go get inside!” she ordered.

Persephone gave me a smug glance and she went inside the house ahead of me.

“Well, little Psyche would you still want to play in the rain?” Phoebe asked and I looked at the sky and the clouds are indeed turning gray.

I hugged myself as I felt a raindrop hit my shoulder and I run immediately inside as Phoebe closed the door behind me.

***

If a person is single it doesn’t mean he or she knows nothing about love. In fact, going solo is a lot wiser than being in a relationship.

I went inside my room immediately as soon as I got inside the house. I took my towel from the bathroom and I dried myself in my bed. Beagle runs into my lap as he tried to give me some of his warmth.

“Good thing for you,” I rubbed his soft fur. “You have good fur to keep yourself warm.”

Beagle just looked at me with knowing eyes as if he does understand me. I smiled at him and I kissed his forehead.

Then my phone rang and I hurriedly went to fetch my wet bag on the floor. I searched the front pockets for my phone and when I got a good grab on it I held it out and looked at the screen for my caller.

I sighed as I answered the phone call. “Yes?”

I heard him chuckle like a kid.

Speak if you still want to live, lover boy.” I snarled.

“I thought you’d be calling me Cupid, babe.” I can feel the smile on his voice and it irritates me because he’s mimicking the way Rihanna says the word “Babe”.

I sincerely ignored that he called me that and continued. “Cupid. Cupid. Cupid.

He groaned. “Don’t you know how it thrills me for you to mention my name over and over again, babe?”

“Call me babe one more time!” I said through gritted teeth and obvious irritation.

He just laughed and laughed and laughed and laughed. Jerk.

“You are such a jerk!” I said as I shook my head. “Now what do you want?”

“I was just checking if you are still on this Friday.” He prompted without even letting me breathe.

Yeah, FRIDAY.  “Will it be a Day-With-Your-Mom thing or will it be a House Night thing?”

“So you’re going?” he asked, completely excited. I stifle a groan under my bed replacing the red-eyed monster.

“No, I won’t.” I said and he laughed.

“I don’t know actually since it’s a girl thing. Do I look like I go out with my mom for shopping?”

This time I was the one who laughed. Imagine Cupid shopping with his mom. Oh it’s so novel!

“See what I mean?” he said.

“Yeah, I imagined that. May be it will be nice if I go.”

“Why is there a ‘maybe’ and an ‘if’ in your sentence?”

“Because they are adverbs.” I rolled my eyes at the phone.

“’If’ for your info is a conjunction.” He argued.

“Whatever, Mr. Smart Pants.” I rolled my eyes again.

“So, I’m gonna tell my mom that you’ll be coming over this Friday.”

“Do what you want to do.” I waved my hand as I threw myself to my bed.

I heard him sigh. “You tired?”

“You?” I returned the question.

“You really love to play bounce back, do you?”

“And you?”

He grunted. “Fine. I’ll give you some peace.”

“Oh thank God!” I shouted as I lifted my feet on a pillow.

He laughed. “Good night, Psyche.”

“Same here.” I said. I waited for him to hang up the phone but he doesn’t. “You can’t hang up now.”

I hear him laugh. “You hang up.”

I snort. “Fine.” I waited for a while but he’s still on the other line. When he notices that I did notice it, he laughs.

“Good night, Psyche.” And then he hangs up. I stare at my phone, grinning like some stupid lunatic.

Now would be the right time where I’d have to kick myself from placing myself in this kind of situation when I can’t even learn how to face Cupid’s mother. I don’t really know his mom since I’ve never talked to her even when we had dinner at their house. She seems to be a good lady only that I couldn’t take off the fear that she might be as cruel as Snow White’s stepmother or maybe Cinderella’s. What if I also encounter the same fate with Psyche in the Greek myth? Oh gosh, I just don’t want to think about it right now. But Cupid is an only child, unlike me that we’re three and my parents don’t set their own eyes on me all the time unlike Cupid… Now his mother might think that I’ll have to share her love and attention with his son.

Now that I decided to forget about my almost brawl fight with my twin sister, I still have my meet-his-mother situation coming right ahead of me. Oh dear sweet Jesus.

As Friday finally came, Cupid had fetched me at our house at exactly 5:30 pm. But his eyes bulged when he saw me not even prepared for it yet.

“What are you doing?” he raised an annoyed eyebrow at me. “I thought you’re going?”

I sighed in defeat. “I’m sorry! I don’t even know what the hell to wear!”

A smile crept up his face as his face softens. “You don’t have to be over dressed, Psyche. My mom is simple and she’ll like you if you’ll just be you.” he scratched his forehead. “Actually, you don’t have to try since she already likes you.”

“What?” I blurted.

 “I’m not unlimited, babe.” He prompted as he raised his hands.

I glared at him. “Call me babe one more time!”

“Fine, now maybe you should get dressed?” he looked at his watch. “Time is not getting any younger you know.”

“Well, I was thinking that if your mom likes me already maybe I could just use these clothes.” I said. I was wearing my good jeans, a shirt that says I hate boys and my Chuck Taylors. Cupid frowns at me.

“Psyche, who’s at the door?” my sister; Phoebe came up to us. When she saw Cupid her eyes widened in shock. “Oh my gosh! Is this the guy on your picture frames in your room?”

Oh shit! I felt hot air rushed my face and I’m turning red! I can really tell. Cupid flashed me an amazed look. I didn’t meet his eyes for long. I don’t want to get so obvious although it was already.

I tried to smile at my sister. “No he isn’t.  It just looks like him.” I faked a laugh.

My sister did the same thing. “Like you can fool me, little sister.” She pinched my cheek. “You’re so cute! Are you both going on a date?” my sister asked and I immediately freaked out to say a big “NO!”

“Psyche, sweetie, I think mom’s calling you upstairs.” She told me casually and she again turned to Cupid who gave her a sweet and innocent smile. “Come inside while you wait for Psyche.”

“I didn’t even hear mom calling.” I argued and she shot me a glare. I grabbed Cupid’s arm and the moment I did, his eyes dart to my face in shock. “We’re just leaving.”

I pulled Cupid out of our house.

“I am looking forwards to seeing you again, future bro!” Phoebe shouts at us and Cupid waves back at her. Sometimes Phoebe doesn’t act as the eldest. You’d be really surprise she’s into law school.

Cupid sighs as we stood in front of their house. “Well, this is it.”

 He held my hand and he pulls me to their front porch. I didn’t have time to argue anymore. I was so overwhelmed with our hands intertwined so tight with each other. I swallowed hard as I stare at it. I could feel sweat filling inside our hands, I tried to pull away but he held back which made me go red again.

Then the door in front of us opened and my eyes went wide when I saw his mother. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

446K 10.3K 9
A collection of Valentine's Day one-shots from the characters of my novels. Romantic short stories that's designed to make your heart flutter and be...
434 107 21
"Eros!" He stares at my hand on him, his eyebrows furrowing as he moves away from my touch. "Sorry?" he says blankly. I search his face, the wide smi...
1.1M 47.1K 39
*to be edited: please excuse any continuity errors and / or mistakes in regards the writing quality of Hades* You could say that a lot has happened t...
231 0 11
The fall had been a big mood ring for Oskar. Breaking the school rules he gets almost expelled from school, but it brings him and Aaron together for...