Tense

By howtosellmysoul

"I love you." "Oh?" "In a non-bro sort of way, y'know? Full homo." ~~~ Kai and Roan are a lot of things. B... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Two
Chapter Twenty Three
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty Five
Chapter Twenty Six
Chapter Twenty Seven
Chapter Twenty Eight
Chapter Twenty Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty One
Chapter Thirty Two
Chapter Thirty Three
Chapter Thirty Four
Chapter Thirty Five
Chapter Thirty Six
Chapter Thirty Seven
Chapter Thirty Eight
Epilogue
Character Portraits
Bonus Chapter #1 : Part B
Bonus Chapter #2
Spin Off
Spin Off - Kingsley
Q & A
Spin The Bottle [Kai's POV]
The Wedding
Kai Meets Jake [Kai's POV]
Regret [Kai's POV]
The Glasses Stay On [NSFW]
Leo's Birthday
First Boyfriend
Kingsley × Tucker

Bonus Chapter #1 : Part A

52.6K 2.1K 619
By howtosellmysoul

"Claire just called me, they've left and they should be here in like twenty minutes." Kai said. Roan didn't reply, and simply nodded as he took out the casserole from the oven.

The two husbands were twenty eight now, after five years of marriage they decided that they wanted to take the next step. Neither of them wanted to have a child via surrogacy, both of their hearts were set on adoption since the start. But they also knew that it was a huge commitment, so after weeks of discussion, they decided on becoming foster parents.

The whole application and vetting process took even longer, but after all the formalities were completed, they were finally matched with two children. They were siblings, a 5 year old girl and her 15 year old brother. They had lost their parents four years ago, and without any other family to take care of them, they were thrown in the system.

"What if they hate us?" Kai asked out loud, making his husband sigh.

"They won't," Roan said, "I know we've only met them a couple of times but Maya already loves you."

"She's a sweet kid," Kai smiled, "But meeting and living together is different. Plus, I don't think Leo likes us very much."

"He's a teenager in the foster system with a young sister to take care of, cut him some slack for not being a very happy-go-lucky child." Roan shrugged.

"Fair enough," Kai muttered, "Did you make anything to drink?"

"Iced tea is in the fridge." Roan answered.

"I can't believe this is really happening." Kai said again after a few moments of silence.

"They're probably more nervous than you." Roan stated.

"Really?" Kai asked with a frown, "I knew you'd be able to relate better with them."

"Is that because I'm adopted?" Roan raised a questioning brow, "I got adopted when I was two, Kai. It's no where near the same as bouncing around in foster homes for years."

Kai helped Roan set up for lunch, and after about fifteen minutes there was a knock on their door. Despite his nervousness, Kai was good with kids. So he opened the door and welcomed Claire, their caseworker, and the two siblings.

Both Maya and Leo were reserved, which is why they had trouble fitting in at their previous homes, according to Claire. But the agency had managed to make sure that they weren't separated, so atleast they had each other no matter where they were.

They did, however believe that this harmed Maya's chances of getting adopted, since they didn't want to take her away from her brother, and no one really wanted to adopt a fifteen year old.

Once they were done eating the lunch that Roan cooked and Kai, debatably, helped with— Claire bid them goodbye after discussing the upcoming scheduled visits.

The two husbands had shifted to a bigger house a year ago, when they decided on having kids. Roan had a high paying job at an investment firm after he finished his MBA, whereas Kai got a teaching degree and taught at a highschool.

"Let's show you guys your rooms, yeah?" Kai said with an enthusiastic grin as he picked up Maya's bags.

Roan tried to help out Leo with his luggage, but the boy ignored his attempt and followed Kai wordlessly. They went to Maya's room first. From the meetings they had earlier, the two learned that Maya's favourite colour was yellow and that her favourite movie was Cars, so they had decorated the room accordingly.

Leo inspected the room carefully, looking almost suspicious. But when it was clear that there was nothing wrong with it, he backed off. Maya was surprised at first, pleasantly so. The huge grin on her face was enough to pull at the heartstrings of both the men.

"I'll help Maya settle in, you take Leo to his room?" Kai suggested, and his husband nodded in response.

They weren't able to learn much about the boy, so the decor of the room was pretty standard for what they would expect a teenager would like. They did, however, get him a new gaming console.

"Are there any specific games you like?" Roan asked as Leo looked around his new room.

"I've never played." Leo answered with an uninterested shrug.

"Oh," Roan said, "Kai and I still play sometimes on the weekend. I'm a little rusty but not too bad, how about I show you sometime later?"

"Whatever." Leo muttered.

"Is there anything else you like? Any hobby? Photography or art or reading? We could get—"

"What's your deal, man?" Leo asked, looking irritated as he turned to face the blonde.

"What do you mean?"

"You and your.. husband, you both seem okay. You don't need the foster pay cheque, clearly. So why are you doing all this?" Leo questioned.

"We just want you both to feel at home." Roan answered truthfully.

"Why?"

"Do you think we have an ulterior motive?" Roan raised a brow.

"Doesn't everyone?" Leo retorted, making Roan sigh as he sat down on the bed.

"It might be hard for you to believe but.." Roan paused, "We really just want the best for you and your sister. We want to take care of you and be good guardians. That's it, really."

"Yeah, right," Leo snorted, "If you're thinking about adopting Maya then you can forget it. Once I'm eighteen I'll adopt her and then we can finally be free."

"You don't feel free?" Roan asked, a frown on his face.

"Would you if you were me?" Leo questioned back. Roan took a deep breath, not replying as he got up and walked towards the door.

"Do you need any help settling in?"

"No." Came the answer.

"I'll call you when it's time for dinner."

~~~

"How was school?" Kai asked, a grin on his face as Leo entered the car, sitting in the passenger seat. Maya was already strapped in at the back.

"Would've been better if I didn't live with my history teacher." Leo muttered, and Kai's smile fell.

"I can see how that would be embarassing." Kai replied, his voice low.

"I'll be taking the bus from tomorrow." Leo stated.

"But—" Kai paused, "Okay."

As soon as Kai unlocked the front door of their house, Leo barged inside and rushed to his room. Kai sighed as he watched his retreating figure. It had been a few weeks since the siblings came to live with them, and Leo was still as distant as the first day.

"Will you help me with my math homework?" Maya asked politely.

"Of course, honey," Kai said softly, "Go freshen up. I'll fix us some snacks and then come help you, okay?"

"Okay!" Maya exclaimed before turning around and running towards her room.

Kai was glad that atleast one of the siblings seemed to like living with them.

Roan got home from work a few hours later, and he joined his husband in the kitchen. He loosened his tie, and rolled up his sleeves as he kissed Kai on the cheek before washing his hands and taking out the chopping block.

The two talked about their day at work as they prepared dinner. Roan was dealing with a very annoying client, and he couldn't wait to be done with their account. When the blonde asked about the kids, Kai finally sighed.

"Maya is.. so precious," Kai continued, "But I just don't get how to reach Leo. He doesn't even want to ride with me to school now."

"Well, you've gotta admit for a kid his age it might be embrassing riding with a teacher," Roan shrugged, "Especially when you're a new student."

"I guess," Kai muttered, "I just think he hates us."

"Hate is a strong word, babe," Roan wiped his hands on his apron as he walked closer to Kai, who was leaning against the counter, looking dejected, "It's just going to take some time."

"Maya didn't take this long." Kai mumbled as Roan took the brunette's hand in his, rubbing his palm with his thumb to comfort him.

"Maya is young, honey," Roan explained softly, "It's easier for kids her age to adjust. It's understandable that the case is different for Leo. He'll adapt eventually."

"And what if he doesn't?" Kai asked, and Roan sighed, not having an answer. Instead, Roan just leaned forward to kiss his husband.

Dinner at the Nahar-MacElroy residence went by like usual. Maya was excited about her school and talked about her new friends, so that was enough to lighten up everyone's mood.

"You put Maya to sleep, Leo and I will clear the table." Roan said.

Kai looked at Roan with a confused expression for a moment, before he turned to face Maya with a grin on his face. He picked up the girl, making her sit on his shoulders as she laughed. The two left the dining room, and Roan and Leo cleared the table in silence.

"You wash, I'll dry," Roan said. Leo nodded wordlessly as he walked over to the sink, "How was school?"

"Boring."

"Hm," Roan hummed, "So was work today. I had a meeting with a really annoying client."

"What do you even do?" Leo asked.

"I work at a venture capi—" Roan paused when he glanced at Leo's puzzled expression, "I analyse businesses and help decide whether we should fund them or not."

"Oh," Leo replied, "That doesn't sound too boring."

"It's not on most days." Roan said.

"Must pay great." Leo added as he lifted his head to give the kitchen a once over.

"It's okay," Roan shrugged, "It didn't pay for this house if that's what you're wondering."

"Loaded parents?" Leo questioned, making Roan chuckle.

"No," Roan said, "Have you heard of the app PlayNet?"

"The multiplayer game thing?" Leo looked up at Roan, "Yeah, I use it."

"I made the app," Roan stated, "It wasn't this complex in the start, of course. But then a major game company showed interest and I sold most of the equity to them."

"Huh?"

"Means I still own part of it but they do all the work, and I keep getting paid." Roan simplified again.

"That's really fuc— freaking cool," Leo replied, sounding a little in awe, "How did you do it?"

"I leaned how to code. Had a bit of help from a friend." Roan answered.

"You know coding?" Leo asked.

"Yeah," Roan continued carefully, "Do you want to learn?"

"Okay."

"Yeah? I haven't done it in a while but I can teach you the basics. And if you like it then we can look into courses." Roan suggested.

"Okay."

"Okay," Roan repeated, "Cool."

***

part 2 will be up soon!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

42.7K 1.5K 30
"I hate you - so much Tripp." More confusion because, once more, wasn't this a good thing? "Why did you have to say that? What if," A little quieter...
1.1K 34 3
Alex and Cal have been best friends since what feels like forever. They've been through it all together; first day of school, first kisses, and Alex...
3.4M 148K 38
"What's wrong?" He asked softly, grabbing Kai's arm and preventing him from running away again. "N-nothing." Kai whispered looking down at his shoes...
6.8K 277 14
❤︎︎ Two homies going to college together, one of them gay feelin the other who is very blunt and a little homophobic but what happens when they kiss...