Together Again ~ A Javid Love...

De VaquitaLibra

Suddenly, a person runs into David. He's taken by surprise by the impact. The two stumble back a little. That... Mais

Chapter 1 | So We Meet Again
Chapter 2 | Eventful Morning
Chapter 3 | Beginning To Reconcile
Chapter 4 | A Healthy Relationship
Chapter 5 | The World Will Know
Chapter 6 | Brooklyn
Chapter 7 | Seize The Day
Chapter 8 | Attempted Night Rescue
Chapter 9 | On Our Way To More
Chapter 10 | King Of New York
Chapter 11 | Irving Hall
Chapter 13 | A Trying Night
Chapter 14 | Betrayal
Chapter 15 | The Year We Fell In Love
Chapter 16 | Lowest Moment
Chapter 17 | And Now We Make Things Right
Chapter 18 | Once And For All
Chapter 19 | We Got Voices Now
Chapter 20 | Our Story Isn't Perfect, But It's Ours

Chapter 12 | Stand Tall In Court

300 8 49
De VaquitaLibra

I always get a lot of mixed feelings about the court scene because on one hand, things are still going downhill and I'm still mad at the end of the Irving Hall scene at that point and the newsies are still being treated unfairly; but on the other hand it amuses me how the newsies humorously handle the situation and the way that Spot and Race are in this scene.

I would elaborate on that last bit but you'll see it in a moment haha. Well, actually, I exaggerate what happens, but most of this is coming straight from the movie.

Actually, no. Very little comes straight from that movie haha.

Sometimes actually I think I'm actually funny.

Enjoy! :)

----------------------------

"All rise for Judge E. A. Monaham. Court is now in session."

Not that any newsie was sitting anyway. 

Not that they would be treated to sitting anyway.

Still, Race and Spot--standing as close to each other as they dare--and all the newsies behind them have to put on brave faces. None of them want to be here, but they can't change their situation.

"Are any of you represented by council?" the judge asks, already looking down at them disdainfully.

He's met with no comments.

Everyone turns amongst themselves, trying to find anyone that fits the description. "Council? What's a council?" is whispered somewhere in the back. Whether or not that person was joking, they'll never know.

"I suspected as much," the judge continues. "Alright then. We'll move forward with the charges."

"You're honor, I object," Spot speaks out.

The judge raises his eyebrows. "On what grounds?"

Spot pauses for a moment.

Race's eyes widen beside him, waiting for him to respond. He looks up at Spot from an overly slouched position. No one can blame him. His black eyes and his messy hair say it all: tonight's been rough. Still, from where he is, he looks at Spot, who has hair in his face, his cap no where in sight, his lips pursed, and his eyes determined.

"On the grounds of Brooklyn, your honor," Spot answers, shoulders squared.

And to the newsies, that was the funniest thing that's happened in awhile. Everyone bursts out laughing.

Race doubles over laughing, bending down behind Spot. He looks at Blink and Mush and Boots behind them, conveying the message of What is going on right now? They're going through a lot right now. Just about anything will push them over the edge. At least in this situation over the edge means into laughter. 

The judge, however, does not appreciate their humor. He talks over their laughter. "I fine each of you five dollars, or two weeks confinement in the House of Refuge."

That gets everyone outraged. There is a lot of incredulous murmurs of utter disbelief. This is exactly why they're striking. They're treated like they have no rights at all, like they have no say in any matter, and they can't do anything about it.

Still, they need to work with what they got.

"Five dollars?" Race chokes out. "Woah, woah, woah." He may be in temporary shock, but that's not going to stop Witty Racetrack from having his own moment. "We don't got five bucks. We don't even got five cents."

Now it's Spot's turn to look at Race with wide eyes, wondering what he's doing, and what he's going to say next.

Race looks up at the judge. "Say, how 'bout I roll ya for it, double or nothin'?" His tongue flicks out-in, and he smirks.

Every newsie starts laughing again, much to his satisfaction.

But most importantly, it made Spot laugh.

So now both of the newsies' stand-in leaders got them to laugh.

Oh, what a mess they're in. But they have each other, and a sense of humor, and for now, that's enough to help them through this.

Of course, they're missing two of their people.

That problem is solved--or at least half of it--when Denton and David come in, Sarah and Les not too far behind.

"I'll pay the fines," Denton tells the judge, firmness in his voice. "All of them."

Wow.

And finally, the situation is finally sinking in for everyone there.

Denton and David rush over to the newsies, while the newsies crowd around from behind their side of the divided room.

"Are you guys okay?" David asks.

"We could be worse," Spot answers.

"Nah, I think this is worse," Race counters.

Spot shoves Race's shoulder, rolling his eyes.

"We need to gather everyone," Denton tells them all, bringing Race and Spot back to the present moment, having them give him their undivided attention. "We need to make a plan, tomorrow at Tibby's."

And this is why they need a man like Denton.

A man who treats them as equals, and not kids lower than him.

They don't know what they would do without him.

Suddenly, Jack is led into the room by Snyder. And now, everyone is here.

"Hiya, fellas!" Jack says, trying to sound as cheerful as he can to hide his fear.

"Hey, Cowboy!" Race shouts immediately. "Nice shiner!" He sticks his tongue out.

Spot smiles, watching Race, as everyone else chuckles at what he said. Race only sees Spot looking at him from the corner of his peripheral vision; he doesn't see the fondness in Spot's eyes. 

But once again, their light-hearted moment evaporates as more serious matters pick up again.

"So Denton? How'd my picture look this time?" Jack asks.

"None of the papers covered the rally," Denton tells him grimly. "Not even The Sun."

Any newsie who heard that needs to take a second to let that sink in.

Jack is led right in front of the judge.

"I'll speak for this boy," Snyder tells the judge, eyes triumphant.

"You two know each other," Jack mutters. "How wonderful." He should have known that there would be outright bias against him.

If Snyder heard him, he doesn't show it. "This boy's real name is Francis Sullivan."

David's face falls.

Snyder continues, relentless. "His mother is deceased, his father is in prison. He had original sentence of three months in the House of Refuge was extended to six months from his insolent behavior-"

"Like demanding we eat the food you stole from us?" Jack interjects, only speaking the truth. Hatred burns in his eyes.

"A sentence which was extended further because of his attempted escape-"

"Attempted?" Jack cuts in. "No. You know what happened. It wasn't attempted. I got away."

He's always prided himself on that. He still can't believe he was able to get away--on the back of Teddy Roosevelt's carriage.

And that was when he was fifteen. Just imagine what I could do now.

He is not going back to the Refuge. He just can't.

"This boy should be in my custody, in the House of Refuge, until the age of 21," Snyder tells the judge.

The judge nods. "So it will be."

"No!" Les cries out from the very back. Not that he can do anything.

Newsies clench their fists and clench their teeth.

The rest happens so fast.

Denton pays the fines. Everyone is free to go.

All except Jack, who is led away to the Refuge.

And there is nothing they can do about it.

--------------------------------

The next day, they're at Tibby's again. But this time, there's no singing, no dancing. None of them are the king of New York. They're just newsies, without any power. Without Jack.

Denton comes into the diner. Everyone perks up, hoping he has good news of some sort.

"Why didn't The Sun print the story?" David asks right away.

"Because ... it never happened," Denton answers lamely. He, along with everyone else, knows that that's a lie.

"Whaddaya mean it never happened--you were there!" Race exclaims, Blink slouching over in his chair beside him.

"If it's not in the papers, it never happened," Denton continues with his lie. It doesn't sound right to anyone.

All the newsies slump in their chairs, disappointed.

David, still standing, just turns away, needing a moment.

There's too much going on. His head is spinning. He still needs time to process it all.

Jack did lie to him.

And now Denton won't help them.

"David-" Denton comes closer to him, trying to explain.

David just shakes his head, refusing to look at him.

Denton stops walking, and speaks calmly from where he is. "I wanted to. I really wanted to. But with the ban on printing strike matters, I couldn't. If I did, I wouldn't just be fired from The Sun. I would be unable to work for any newspaper company in the country. And ... I'm a newspaper man. I need a paper to write for."

David understands. He truly does: Denton's job is on the line, and he would be taking an impossible risk helping them.

He was just hoping that Denton would stick this through to the end.

"I ... want you to have this." Denton places a piece of paper in David's hand. "This ... is the original article I wrote for the rally."

David still doesn't respond.

Denton sighs. He faces all of them. "This is where I bid you all goodbye," He says. "Wish me luck, fellas. At least, half of what I wish for you."

With nothing more to say, he leaves.

Even before he came in here, their spirits were low. Now they just got even lower.

David crumples up the paper in his hand and lets it fall wherever. He's stopped caring about a lot of things at this point.

He takes a deep breath. First thing's first.

"We get Jack out of the Refuge tonight," David decides out loud. "From now on, we trust no one but the newsies."

Everyone agrees with him.

And so they all leave Tibby's, Les trailing behind them after wrapping up his hot dog to take with them. They have part of a plan now. They're determined to get Jack back.

And then they'll be on their way to fixing this.

---------------------------

This chapter is full of good things and bad things.

Okay but ... I still can't get over the ways Spot and Race interact in the court scene in the movie.

I'm doing this all by memory so if anything is out of place that's why.

Or it's just something that I added.

I'm now conflicted over whether or not I'm an unreliable narrator because of that haha.

Last time I watched the movie I actually did hear people murmur things like Council? What's a council? And I couldn't leave it out haha.

And ... Race. Just Race.

And On the grounds of Brooklyn, your honor. Of course that would be in here.

Still, Tibby's is less fun than the rally.

So ... it's gonna get worse before it gets better ...

... But that doesn't mean there won't be anything interesting.

Please, no homophobia, profanities, hate etc in the comment section.

Best,

~Your Beloved Author (who is glad to actually be posting this chapter and the previous one)

Continue lendo

Você também vai gostar

70K 1.9K 110
Racetrack Higgins was a normal Manhattan Newsie- more or less. He was Gay, but so were all of his brothers. He was Jack's Second in Command and had a...
1.7K 48 22
"Jack why's do I have ta come?" Race questions. "Because Racer, your my second which means you have ta come ta meetings and that includes Brooklyn."...
112K 2.1K 25
{Y/N} Kelly gets herself into some complicated situations. A girl posing as a boy to escape law enforcement and an overprotective brother that doesn'...
43.5K 414 20
Requests are currently closed. Mainly x reader and ship oneshots, but I'll do headcanons too. No smut. Enjoy!