Grief

By surreal_fix

With Izaya finally dead at the hands of Shizuo, he's left a ghost that's stuck haunting his murderer. All the... More

Guilt
Spirit
Crisis
Tied
Values
Moments
Face
Evening
Scream
Distracted
Reunions
Meddle
Curious
Answers
Strange
Focus
Growing
Sweet
Smitten
More
Notice
Human
Blossoms
Swarm
Vulnerable
Every Fleeting Moment
Epilogue

Breeze

68 3 0
By surreal_fix

"What! Shizu-chan-" Izaya's voice was urgent, confused even. He gave an uncharacteristic yelp when I picked up my pace, the smoke smothering around his neck and shoulders as it dragged him along behind me.

Streets passed in a blur, crowds getting thicker as we stumbled through busy streets. Nobody dared to get in my way as we stormed past, my speed picking up with every stride. My eyes zeroed in on every person, keen to catch sight of the two Oriharas I was looking for.

"Shizu-chan!" Izaya was angry, aimlessly trying to grab at the smoke pulling at him, hands flying straight through as he tried to pull back against me.

Hoodies- jackets with animal ears. Twins. Two of them. Izaya's sisters. Mairu, Kururi. Their descriptions were repeated over and over as I ignored Izaya's growing outrage. Every street seemed to bustle with clumps of people, terrified faces mixed with confused tourists as they watched me barrel past.

None of them were who I was looking for!

I had no clue how I was going to find the Orihara twins, It's not like I could just sniff them out like I could with the flea...

But I needed to find the two, to prove to Izaya-

Like hell did his death not affect anybody! My fingers twitched, straining with aggression. A familiar urge to lift something- to release some of my frustration as my feet rushed forward, mind flooded with one single goal in mind with every step. I couldn't fully place why the idea had pissed me off so much. There was no fucking way I was going to let the flea just brush this off like the prick he is, he can't just brush off the people who cared and believe that nobody would miss him if he was dead!

My throat strained at the idea, head reeling with confusion as my anger managed to pile, only worsening when I couldn't even completely understand my own reasonings-

I trampled down one of Ikebukuro's main roads. Lights were flickering to life, reflecting every nook and cranny of the place to make the city seem as if the night would never arrive. Every person morphed together into something unnecessary, vision tunneling as I looked left and right, thinking of where the two might be and hoping that they were out in the city where I'd still be able to find them.

My teeth mashed together. I halted for a second, lungs heaving as I stretched my neck high over the crowd to get a better look.

Where the hell were they?!

"Shizu-chan! What the hell are you-" Breaking off into another sprint, I cut off Izaya's complaints and pulled him along down the stretch of Ikebukuro's streets. People stared at me with wonder as I dashed past, watching as the monster of Ikebukuro ran with a fury I haven't mustered since the night of Izaya's death.

Skirting around a corner, I halted again, staring down at the long black roads that sprawled through Sunshine 60. The streets were crowded, bustlings of people heading home or enjoying the nearing nightlife, some even stopping to take photos. Whispering some shit about thinking the beast in a bartender was a myth. Ignoring the blatant stares and flashing cameras, I scanned down the street.

A flicker of familiarity over the crowd- I caught a glance of what looked to be yellow and dark green hoods. There! That was them!

"Shizu-o! Come eat sushi! Sushi good for-"

"NO TIME SIMON!"

Dashing past Russia Sushi I watched as the two curled around the side of a building, laughing and idly talking to one another as they walked without a clue. I veered around that same corner and rushed up to them, ignoring the flea's vicious sneers and insults as I closed in on the two.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Shizuo!" A girl exclaimed, dressed cozy in an oversized yellow hoodie with strange little dog ears sewn on. A much quieter girl dressed in a similar hoodie toned green with cat ears stood beside her, she gave a quiet nudge of her head in hello.

It was Mairu and Kururi.

Shizu-chan was quick to trample over to them, sheer determination dripping off his face. After being dragged halfway across the city, I decided it better to follow him instead of trying to pull away.

Being dragged across Ikebukruo by your neck and shoulders wasn't exactly something I'd prefer to experience again.

"Shizuo! Hey, it's been a while! Are you finally going to let us meet Yuuhei!?" Mairu was quick to get in Shizu-chan's face, excitedly tipping her head to the side as Kururi shadowed behind her.

After Shizu-chan's wild chase through Ikebukuro, to ironically, find the remaining two Orihara's, we'd ended up in part of the city just outside its main popularity. I could only figure the two must've been heading home and decided to turn down a less busy street.

Shizuo's hand rubbed at the back of his skull awkwardly as he was berated with questions, his chest still heaving as he caught his breath. The protozoan had such a feverous determination right up until the two spoke and now it looked like he had absolutely no clue what to say.

With a quick glance at the twins, I could tell not much had changed- If nothing at all. They still acted in their designated opposites in characteristics, Mairu, of course, flamboyant and excitable while Kururi kept more reserved in the conversation. Of course, they were both still intrigued, with the topic being Kasuka and all.

Shizu-chan ungracefully warded off Mairu, avoiding any sort of promise of bombarding his brother with meeting his fans. He was quick to defend his brother and decline the other's determined admiration for Kasuka. The conversation was quickly going nowhere and was frankly quite...underwhelming.

There was nothing new, nothing different about the scene. It was just Mairu and Kururi, the same as always.

My hands seeped deep into the comfort of my jacket's pockets.

"Would you just-" The beast snarled, frustration evident on his tongue. I caught the glance he flickered back towards me before he let out a huff, shoulders crumpling inwards as he ruffled his bleached hair.

His voice came out quiet, barely heard over Mairu's determination, "How are you guys?" The air settled for a tense moment, Shizuo's hands twitching with what I could tell was the absent desire to reach for a cigarette.

Mairu tilted her head to the other side, braid sliding off her shoulder as she did. "We're doing good! Bit of a random question though," Kururi came up from behind Mairu, the two looking with big curious eyes at Shizuo's strangely sincere, but unexpected question.

I leaned back on my heels, mouth stretched thin as I watched the three.

I hated this. There was no point in being here, and the scene itself was quite boring. Mairu and Kururi were the same as always, there was no exciting principle to watch play out.

They were the same.

My gaze flickered away from the three for a moment, glancing around the streets to find some sort of distraction-

Entertainment. Some sort of more interesting entertainment...

Huffing out his tension, Shizu-chan's eyes flickered over to me again before he settled on something to say. "Shouldn't you guys be angry at me? Or..." His wrists flitted with the struggle of explanation.

Mairu and Kururi peered at each other for a moment, Kururi blinking slow towards the other, which Mairu seemed to fully-heartedly understand.

"About Iza-nii?" Mairu's smile stretched, splayed across her face, Kururi repeating my name like she was Mairu's quiet echo from behind her.

Shizuo's palm rested on the back of his head, something which I was quickly noting was a nervous habit of his. He gave a curt nod as he stared down at the two.

My arms folded against my chest. This was ridiculous. What the hell was Shizu-chan trying to prove?

Why was he even-

"Nope! We don't mind! But if you feel so bad about it you could make it up to us by letting us meet your brother!" Mairu's voice was chipper, hand splaying a peace sign.

This is ridiculous.

"W-what?" Shizu-chan blinked, "You don't feel anything?" He leaned towards them as if the covered grown would further his cause.

Mairu shook her head, hood fluttering and animals ears bouncing enthusiastically at the movement. Kururi stood still by her side, staring deep at Shizu-chan's expression with her usual quiet look dancing in her eyes.

"But Izaya was your brother-" Shizuo's voice sounded almost exasperated like the protozoan was expecting some other response from the two. He'd apparently come here with a point to prove, which he was sorely mistaken about.

I couldn't even figure out what had caused his sudden behavioral change, perhaps in Shizuo's small brain what he was trying to prove was some round-about way to spite me. To argue no matter the context and go against one another... but this felt different. Different in such a vile way I couldn't even explain. It was strange, unpredictable, and I hated it.

Shizuo's eyebrows lifted upwards, curling in as something started to settle deep-rooted on his face. "You don't care at all that Izaya is dead?" His tone was quieter.

Mairu's face eyes scrunched tight in a smile as she confirmed with a nope, popping the 'p' with a shrug.

My eye twitched. I didn't need to hear this. This was all so predictable.

"Shizu-chan." I kept my voice flat, unimpressed as my mouth slanted to a thin line. Shizuo looked back at me for a moment, mouth opening with something stuck on his tongue, frustration curling at the edge of his features, his slow mind seeming to finally process the situation.

The monster's nose furled, tone tripping on something close to a growl, "Are you kidding me?"

I didn't need to hear this.

I know already- It's obvious.

"Shizuo! How many times do I have to tell you it's fine! We're not mad at you or anything!" Mairu glanced towards Kururi as she spoke, her hand nonchalantly brushing the air as if her hand could shoo away the confusion.

I don't want to hear this.

"Shizu-chan." Something of a warning quipped off my voice, I cursed myself for my tone as Shizuo didn't make so much as a glance in my direction. The beast had ignored me, fingers curling into fists at his sides, hunching over like an animal as his frustrations grew.

Of course. The protozoan was going to thrash and throw a fit because for some reason he believed his point to be right.

"Mairu, Kururi, Izaya was your brother! Don't you miss him at all? You don't feel anything for his death?" Shizu-chan asked exasperated, lip twitching with anger.

I hate this.

What the hell is Shizu-chan doing? You've lost, you idiot. Your so-called "evidence" was invalid and now you look like an imbecile. We don't need to be here anymore.

I don't want to be here.

I don't want to hear this.

Mairu crossed her arms over her chest, cheeks puffed out with frustration, "Nuh-uh Shizuo! How many times do I have to say it! We don't care about Iza- Ompf!" Mairu's words were cut short, a small jab to the side by Kururi.

"Iza-nii..." Kururi said simply, whispering it with something held firm in her eye as she looked at Mairu. Mairu whined back at her for a minute, exaggerating her expressions until she was caught under her twin's gaze.

The two stared at each other for a moment, Shizu-chan frozen watching as the two seemed to silently speak to one another. His brows furrowed inwards at the interaction, an irritated scowl molding as he watched with slim patience, yearning for some sort of explanation as the time drawled on.

"But Kururi!" Mairu finally let out a whine, clinging to the side of Kururi as her expression soured. "Shizuo, why are you even asking about this?" She grumbled out, face smashed against the side of her sister's shoulder.

Shizu-chan stared a moment, silent, perhaps thinking about how to carefully word his response.

"Iza-nii...miss." The words were simple, passing her lips as little more than a whisper. Kururi tucked a strand of hair as she looked up at Shizuo.

My hands gripped tighter on the sleeves of my jacket, still folded together over my torso as I watched the two quietly look at each other, Mairu going strangely quiet as she observed as well.

Mairu whispered out something similar to her sister's name, fidgeting with the hem of her hood to pull it a little further over her head as Kururi looked back at her.

The air felt tense for a moment, Shizuo silently watching the display, his shoulders drooping a bit as he looked down at Kururi. He looked almost...relieved.

"Okay...maybe a little! But-!" Mairu stopped short of her sentence, chewing on her lips as she gathered her thoughts.

"I'm sorry," Shizuo whispered.

I swallowed down something strange.

Mairu let out a quiet gasp, the two gawking at Shizuo for a moment of realization. The louder of the two twins gave a few quick blinks, fluttering her eyes before she looked up at the sky for a moment, hood sliding off her head as she gazed upwards. She aggressively rubbed her bright-yellow sleeve over her eyes, her hands curled inward into loose fists as sparse droplets seeped into its fabric.

My fingers dug deeper into my arms, the blunts of nails digging into black fabric.

I don't want to see this.

"It's okay. There's nothing to be sorry for," Her smile was smaller this time, quipped at the edges to just barely curve upwards as the city nightlife reflected off her watery eyes. Kururi slid her hand to intertwine with her sister's, their fingers quickly lacing together.

I couldn't help but shrivel in on myself a bit. I loathed the feeling crawling up my throat, it stung on my tongue and left something unsavory at the back of my mind. I quickly swallowed the feeling back down before I dared to begin thinking what it might be.

I hated this.

"There is. And I know it's not much- but I'm sorry."

Mairu let out a small sniff, her fogged eyes behind glass fleeting over towards Shizuo with her hand still grasping her sisters. Kururi stretched out her arm and grasped Shizuo's sleeve between tiny fingers, he lightly stumbled forward from her timid pull.

Feet softly shuffled with awkward steps, Shizu-chan got closer to the two, a single halting step back as they each grasped onto Shizuo's arms. All the monster did was whisper another apology as the two held onto his sleeves.

The three stayed close for what felt like a matter of minutes. Shizuo's hands stayed limp at his sides as the twins held tight, ruffling the thin white fabric under their pale hands.

Not once did Shizu-chan look in my direction, headed lowered to his feet that stood frozen in place.

Something uncomfortable crawled up my spine. I couldn't force myself to look away, just stare. Stare because it was so jarring, so disturbing to feel the disgusting truth of your own death settle deep in your bones.

To have it dawn on you that your life really was gone. That through some sick turn of fate you were forced to stand here and watch them.

Watch as your sisters, who have always claimed to despise you, cry and hold onto their brother's murderer for support.

It was sick.

I loathed it.

I hate this feeling that keeps crawling up my throat-

Why were they sad-?

Mairu and Kururi weren't supposed to be sad-

Why won't Shizu-chan do anything-?

Why was he just standing there!?

The sun had completely left the sky by now. Ikebukuro's nightlife illuminated the streets as a brisk wind curled down its paths. And with a gentle breeze their clothes rustled, shuffled along with the waves of cold breath while I stood still.

My clothing curled off with looming smoke, hazing around me and pluming off in layers off the ends of my jacket. But not once did Ikebukuro's wind jostle it.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

57.1K 1.3K 21
(COMPLETED!!! OMG I FINALLY FINISHED A STORY!!!) Izaya wakes up as a Neko one day and is very curious of the trouble he can make with his new body...
90K 3.3K 25
You met Izaya Orihara in college, and you have always been impressed by his intelligence and good looks. As a desperate attempt to stay together afte...
43.3K 1.8K 12
Izaya Orihara disappeared for six months, only to be found bloody, broken, and beaten in the streets of Ikebukuro by a shocked Shizuo Heiwajima. He's...
3.3K 81 19
My one true otp, Orihara Izaya and Heiwajima Shizuo! They're gonna do lots of cute things in this fanfic. They are also going to lots of bad things. ...