Unraveling Him | A mafia Story

By pumpkinyara

(Book #4 in the series) (Can be read as a stand-alone) HER A mystery. So very complicated. An enigma. A... More

Forward
Trailer
Prologue
Chapter 1 - Redemption
Chapter 2 -First memory
Chapter 3 - Don't kill her
Chapter 4 - Playing with fire
Chapter 5 - Promise? Promise
Chapter 6 - That's what brothers are for
Chapter 7 - She is my everything
Chapter 8 - What if it was me?
Chapter 9 - You need to let someone in
Chapter 10 - I won't be selfish again
Chapter 11 - I don't want to fight anymore
Chapter 12 - Give me sugar
Chapter 13 - Bring the monster back
Chapter 14 - Your grumpy Nik
Chapter 15 - You're mine and I am yours
Chapter 16 - This will be our secret
Chapter 17 - Red riding hood and the big bad wolf
Chapter 18 - In my story, you're the hero
Chapter 19 - Everything you touch, dies
Chapter 20 - Mushy and whatnot
Chapter 21 - Sister-Kisser
Chapter 22 - Ferris wheel ride
Chapter 23 - Us against the world
Chapter 24 - The three N's
Chapter 25 - Weapons don't weep
Chapter 26 - It didn't bring him back
Chapter 27 - Big boss mafia
Chapter 28 - My beautiful delicate girl
Chapter 29 - Atonement
Chapter 30 - Rebirth
Chapter 32 - A death sentence
Chapter 33 - A pain in my ass
Chapter 34 - The Crystal ball
Chapter 35 - Keep fighting
Chapter 36 - You've got us
Chapter 37 - Avenging Angel
Chapter 38 - The holy grail
Chapter 39 - My beautiful king
Chapter 40 - Unwanted memories
Chapter 41 - Bella
Chapter 42 - Mr. Right/ Mr. Wrong
Chapter 43 - We are buddies now
Chapter 44 - You make my world spin
Chapter 45 - A lost bet
Chapter 46 - My number-one girl
Chapter 47 - I am not a warrior
Chapter 48 - Love conquers all
Chapter 49 - This is our normal
Chapter 50 - My fierce protector
Chapter 51 - Big Bad Boy
Chapter 52 - Make Ronald Cry
Chapter 53 - A Little bit more
Chapter 54 - One Last Fight
Chapter 55 - It wasn't your pain to avenge
Chapter 56 - The abused and the abuser
Chapter 57 - Dose of Insanity
Chapter 58 - It's been long overdue
Chapter 59 - The Supreme Leader
Chapter 60 - Conquer or Die (Part I)
Chapter 60 - Conquer or Die (Part II)
Chapter 61 - A Broken King
Chapter 62 - Selfless Love - Part I
Chapter 62 - Selfless Love - Part II
All Hail the Queen - Extra Scenes
Chapter 63 - Five Months & Five Days

Chapter 31 - Death is easy, living is hard

852 70 494
By pumpkinyara

"How can you hide from what never goes away?"

**************

Cara's POV

I feel numb.

Actually, I don't know what to feel anymore.

After Isaac finished his speech, they hit him with a last shock that knocked him back to unconscious land. He was barely even awake by the time they did it anyway. Isaac's eyes fell on me one last time, accomplishment reigned in his gaze, so proud and pleasured that he broke his son down. Without a word, he left after, his men following behind, their mission completed, leaving the two of us alone. Him, unconscious. Me, trying to comprehend the weird tightness pressing and pulling over my chest.

I let my forehead rest over my knees, mentally exhausted. I could only wonder how worn-out he must be feeling at the moment. What they did, it was brutal. For god's sake, it's not important who is at the receiving end of it, it wasn't humane. It's barbaric. I lifted my head up, my arms hugging my legs, pulling my knees closer to my chest as I stared at him for a long couple of minutes.

This time he looks dead for real. Bruised, scarred, and just a bloody broken mess over the ground.

I lifted my hand up and wiped at my cheeks, removing any trace of tears that was left. As I watched them flog him, I just felt the tears roll down my cheeks, uncontrollably. The sound of the cane as it hit his back, his agonized screams, the sight of skin opening up and bleeding...it was just too much. For god's sake, even in a movie, when such a scene comes, I immediately close my eyes, wincing as I look away but today, I was offered the first seat to witness it live.

It wasn't fair. Even for someone who hates him with a passion, it still felt so unfair. Maybe he deserves it, I know he does, he had ruined way too many lives, he deserves the pain and the agony, but I still think he doesn't deserve it coming from someone like Isaac, who is apparently ten levels worse and a tad more ruthless than Nikolas himself.

I mean...who does this to his own son? For god's sake, even Frank cared for Alex in his own messed up way, but in Isaac's eyes, I only saw pure hate and loathing.

Air pushed in and out of my chest, hoarse and heavy as my eyes wandered all around the small dark cell, trying to calculate how long we've been here. It was the middle of the day when he took me away, and I am sure it's way past midnight by now. Alex must've come back home and not found me, what did he do...Will they find us? Where are we anyway?

I got up to my feet, balancing myself on two shaky legs, trying to cling to whatever hope I had left in me as I strode forward toward Nikolas's unconscious body. His bruised ruined back was pressed to the wall, I bet any mere touch to the opened skin will end up hurting him like hell. His head hanging down at a very uncomfortable angle, his chest bare, some blood had dried out but some wounds were still dripping...if we really don't get out of here, he will die because of either blood loss or infection to his many many wounds.

And to be honest, I don't really want to share a cell with a dead man, although maybe if he does die, Isaac would just let me go, right? Okay Cara, no time for your sadistic thoughts, think of Alex. Yeah, Alex...

I crouched down by his side, the idea of slapping him again even though appealing, it felt wrong and a bit heartless, especially after all that he endured so I decided against it. I inched my hand forward, resting it over his shoulder, and I shook him. He didn't budge at first so I shook him again, adding more force into my action. A low groan rumbled from his chest, his head slightly moving. He tried to lift it up and pressed the back of it against the wall as he ever so tiredly blinked his eyes open.

His eyelids dropped down almost immediately as he fought his way back to consciousness. The muscles of his jaw worked and he winced, another suppressed groan vibrated off his chest and he slowly pulled his back away from the wall...told you that must hurt like a bitch.

His chest rose up and down, heaving for the needed oxygen as he tried to endure the pain surging through every alive nerve in his being. When his eyes opened, they met mine. His gaze was still hazy and a bit disoriented, the green in them darker than I've ever seen before, the red lines prominent over the white as he drank into the feedback of everything that happened since we got here.

"You're alive still?" I mumbled, my mocking tone coming out against my better judgment. With him, I just can't help it. He brings out the worst in me. I am not a sadist, but with him, I feel like one.

His jaw worked at my words but he said nothing in return. He tried to move his hand to his face and the chains rattled, the sound seemed to remind him more of the fucked-up situation we are stuck in because the look that broke over his expression was of pure fury. He groaned and pushed at the chain with whatever strength left in him.

He pulled at them again but with no use. Fire licked in his eyes, his muscles twitching in exasperation. His futile attempt, the reminder of his helplessness, had his fingers curl into the inside of his palm, ready to slam it against the concrete, "How about you don't waste your energy-" His eyes shot to me as I spoke, scolding his stupid attempts, "Take some time to get back to yourself," I advised, my eyebrow raising, "Maybe after that we can figure out a way to get out of here."

He kept silent, no words left his mouth and his eyes left me, looking ahead of him, maybe ignoring me or just too tired to even speak. I rolled my eyes at him and sat down, leaning my back against the wall, with a safe social distance away from him. Whether he is in pain or not, I still hate him and his presence, this doesn't change that.

A low breath pushed out of my nose and I pulled my knees up, wiping at the dirt and dust covering my black leggings. I internally scoffed at my life, I could be wearing my pj's now, in bed with Alex, or putting Max to sleep, but no...I have to get myself kidnapped every once in a while.

Time passed and Nikolas kept silent for way too long. Did they break his throat or what? Not that I am complaining or anything. I turned around to see him staring at the ground on his other side, almost as if there is something laying there taking his attention away from everything. I tilted my head, taking a peek and the picture laying there had my jaw tightening. My hand curled into the inside of my palm and anger rushed back with full force.

I didn't want him to see him, ever. Not in real life nor in picture. Told you, he brings the worst in me. This was...it was my way of avenging my own pain. This made me feel powerful when I felt powerless for too long. I took this decision because it was only my decision to make. He is my son, not his, Max will never be his in any way. I don't want him to even steal a glimpse of my son, he doesn't deserve that. He has no right to see him, not even through ink and paper.

"I have an idea," His strained hoarse voice shook me out of my thoughts, my enraged eyes shot to him and he turned his head, his gaze finally leaving the picture and falling on me. I tried to suck it up, to not think about this, not for now at least.

"What?"

His gaze went to the door, "Go there, but try to be as silent as possible, there is a small peephole," He pointed his hand forward and I nodded, noticing it as well, "Tell me if you can see how many men are outside."

I got up, silencing my footsteps as I walked toward the door. I crouched down, hearing some incoherent voices from behind as I peeked through the circular peephole, trying to gather as much as possible from the available narrow eyesight. I caught a glimpse of two men so I turned my head to Nikolas and raised two fingers. He nodded and ushered me to leave there before anyone notices me but something seemed to grab my attention.

I raised my hand, asking him to hold on as I looked again, trying to understand what they were speaking, but that wasn't English for sure. One of them muttered something and started to walk away till I no longer saw him. I immediately twirled around and rushed back to Nikolas's side, "There is only one now," I said, urgency in my tone, knowing this is our only chance to take a shot at it.

He nodded, "Okay, were you able to see which one?"

My eyebrows pulled closer, "Yeah, I...uh, the bald one, the one-"

"The one who has the keys," He continued the sentence on my behalf as he raised his hands, referring to the chains.

I nodded, "Yes, him."

"Good, we gonna have to get him inside first," He looked around us, "Just a second," He mumbled, as he pulled at the chains, seeing how far they can go.

"What?" I asked when he tried to get up to his feet, but with all that happened, all the blood he lost, it had his body flailing for a mere second before he pressed his hand to the wall, steadying himself. Shit, he is barely alive, how in hell will he be able to fight his way out? Rest in peace me...

"I can do it," He said, answering my silent thoughts. My eyes widened and his eyebrow raised, "Don't give me that look, I can do it, not everything needs strength," He muttered as he traced the metallic chains hanging off the shackles and binding him to the floor, he saw how far they can push and pull. He moved them around, doing something I didn't understand as if calculating or trying to practice what he is about to do.

He nodded, as if he solved the equation, "Okay, I get it," He muttered and I stared at him in pure loss. He moved a small rock from the side and placed it where he was standing before he backed away, "I am gonna need him to stand right here," He pointed at where the rock is, "Only then I will be able to get him," He added, his eyes leaving the task and looking at me.

"And for that, I am gonna need you," He said and I nodded, "What should I do?"

"We need to get him inside, but he should think I am still unconscious, so he would not call for anyone else, it will buy us time to make it out of this cell at least," He explained, "So now, we should find a way for you to-"

"I think I know how," I interrupted him and his eyebrows pulled closer as I moved toward where I was sitting and took the untouched tray of food and walked back to his side, "What are you going to do?" He asked, confusion in his tone and eyes.

"Just sit there and pretend to be dead," I said, dismissing and ushering him to sit back in his place.

His eyebrow raised and I shot him a glare. A low sigh pushed out of his mouth and he did as told, sitting down back where he was, wincing slightly at every move he made. I looked at where he placed the rock, reenacting my small plan in my head over and over again, hoping it will work somehow or we're royally screwed.

"Hold on, I am gonna need this to look legit," I mumbled, placing the tray down before I inched to Nikolas, my eyes on his chest, "I am gonna need some of your blood," I pointed out and he gave me a what-the-hell look, "So, I am gonna have to touch you," I explained, "And I am not going to like it, but I have to," I grumbled out as I crouched down. He hesitantly nodded, giving me permission, even though he seemed utterly clueless. My fingers went to one of his fresh wounds and I wiped at the blood, transferring some to my hand.

His eyes pressed shut, and his jaw twitched, badly trying to show he is not in pain. I resisted the urge to roll my eyes; Men and their ego. When I backed my hand away, his eyes opened up. I couldn't hold myself back from commenting, "See, I taught you something new now," I mockingly remarked, "Before you touch someone, you should take permission, got it?"

He said nothing but I saw the color in his eyes dimming down, the last words he shared with Isaac pushing and twirling in my head, intensifying the need to just hit him, punch him and do much much more. My jaw ticked, glaring at him before I backed away, focusing on the good part which is getting out of here and far away from him.

I took the tray again, "Here goes nothing," I sighed, looking at Nikolas as he watched me, "Two, one, action," I whispered the last word and dropped the tray into the ground with a loud thud, everything on it flying off, the plate breaking and I immediately dropped down beside it as if I just happened to fall down and I let out a loud cry of pain, "Help!" I shot out.

Nikolas stared at me in disbelief, "What are you-" He started to say and I heard the metallic door rattle, "Play dead!" I hissed at him before I leaned forward, wrapping my hand over my feet, "Someone help, please!" I cried out again, smudging some of the blood on the exposed skin of my leg as I heard the door open and footsteps getting closer.

My head shot to the bald guy, "Please help me, I...I tripped," I let out a low whimper, faking pain and sniffling, "There is blood, I can't...can't move my feet," I hiccupped a fake sob but it sounded so real. I raised my hand slightly, indirectly exposing how it's shaking and is covered with blood, "Please-" I mumbled again, playing the damsel in distress role and the man moved closer, pausing to a stop on my other side, a bit far from where I want him to stand.

I let out a gasp as I leaned toward my leg, "It hurts a lot!" I let out another cry, hoping the urgency in my tone will make him fall into our trap, "Can you help me get up, please-"

He cursed something under his breath and moved closer, I resisted the urge to smile when he paused by where the rock is, falling right into our trap. Nikolas didn't waste a second, the moment the man leaned down toward me and ready to help me get up, Nikolas moved from behind him, kicking him in the back and dragging him further down, one hand went to his mouth, covering his scream and the other moved, using the chain to wrap it over the guy's neck, pulling at it as hard as he possibly could.

I immediately struggled to my feet, my eyes flickering to the door, hoping no one will burst through it now and ruin our slight chances. My gaze fell back on them, watching as the man struggled, writhing under Nikolas's hold, his skin turning all colors of red as Nikolas tried to squeeze the life out of him but his weakened state wasn't helping him get the job done as fast as I hoped to.

Some of the man's things fell on the ground when Nikolas grabbed him, my eyes firstly took notice of the black device, the one they occasionally used to electrocute Nikolas. My eyes shot back to them when I heard the guy groan, his gun-wielding hand moving and ready to use it against Nikolas so he can break free.

My eyes widened, "Watch out!" I screamed and my body operated on survival instinct, my hand moved forward and I pushed the device into the man's stomach and pressed the button without thinking twice. The shock left the device and surged into him, his body writhed and I immediately pulled back, startled by my own action. The shock let the gun fall out of his grip and to the ground, the unexpected move gave Nikolas the advantage and he pulled at the chains, wrapping them tighter till the man's eyes rolled to the back of his head.

Nikolas let go of him, his hands going through his pockets and I moved closer, searching as well, "I didn't kill him, did I," I mumbled, "No," Nikolas answered as he found the keys and pulled them out, pushing the man's body away, "He is still alive," He added as he used the key to remove the shackles from around his wrists.

"Are you sure?" I asked again, gulping down as my gaze fell into his unconscious state.

Nikolas's free hands moved to the man's neck and he nodded. My eyes widened when he used both hands and ever so carelessly twisted his neck like it's a walnut shell, "Now, he is dead," He added, ever so casually, leaning down and strapping the weapons from the dead man, taking his two guns and knife, and checking if they're loaded.

I gaped at him, "You're heartless," I mumbled under my breath, at just how easy it is for him to take a life, it shouldn't surprise me but it still does. I mean the man is just here following orders, he didn't have to kill him, knocking him down was enough. Nikolas ignored my comment and he tapped his hand over the man's chest, checking for something, his eyebrows pulling closer before he started to unbutton the guy's shirt, "What are you doing?" I squeaked out.

He ignored me again and my eyes followed his hurried movement as he tossed the dead man's body around, taking off the shirt and I noticed how underneath it, he was wearing a bulletproof vest. He removed that as well and stood up straight, extending it toward me, "Put this on you," He said.

My eyebrows pulled closer and he pushed it toward me, "Come on, we don't have time," He said in urgency and I took it from him, trying to buckle it above my sweatshirt, "It's not gonna be easy getting out of here, so at least by this I can know you are safe when we get shot at," He explained as he shrugged the man's shirt over his body, wearing it and covering the scarred wounded flesh underneath.

I finished up strapping the vest, "You know they could just shoot my legs or something," I said and he shook his head, "I won't let that happen," He said and he moved forward, barely even able to walk in a balanced way, fighting his pain and operating on the immense need to get us out of here...well, I hope it's enough to survive this.

He looked outside the door, at the narrow black corridor, checking for any presence but thankfully, no one was here yet. He turned to me, extending one of the guns, "Keep this with you," He said, "In case...something happens, I need you to run as fast as you can without looking back, you get that?"

"Something like what?" I mumbled, the fear creeping into my insides as I grabbed the gun from him, "You mean if they catch you again?" I added and he nodded, "If they come near you, use the gun, a shot to their head and you keep running, understood?"

I gulped down, coming to terms with the seriousness of the situation. I sucked into a deep calming breath and nodded my head, whispering, "Okay."

Satisfied with my answer, he turned around and extended his hand behind him, "Come on," He said, ushering me to follow suit on his steps and I did as we exited the cell and walked down the narrow corridor. We reached the stairs and he abruptly stopped making me crash into his back.

I mumbled a few curses under my breath and he assessed the situation, his hand reaching for my wrist, pulling me behind him as he climbed up the stairs, carefully and one at a time, all alarmed in case we get attacked again. I glared at his hand that was holding my wrist and decided to break it later. Now, I need this hand, I need it to fight these people so we can escape.

"This is weird," He mumbled as we reached the top of the stairs, an ajar door awaited for us and he peeked through it, checking our options.

"What is?" I whispered, trying to sneak a look from behind him but failing. I shot his big back a hard glare, why does he have to be so damn tall.

"I expected more guards around," He answered as he pressed his palm over the door, slowly pushing it open, exposing an empty room. Literally empty.

He moved forward toward the room's exit door, his whole being on alert, pulling me behind still and I just let him. Right that moment, the door opened and two men walked inside, talking with each other and unaware of us at first, "Spoke too soon," I mumbled under my breath and Nikolas let go of my arm, taking them off guard as he aimed and immediately took his shot, one bullet through the head, his lifeless body tumbling down the floor.

The other pulled his gun and came marching at Nikolas. My eyes widened and I backed away, witnessing as Nikolas threw his fist at the man's face, pushing him down before he slammed his elbow into the guy's spine, a groan rumbled from him, his body going further down but Nikolas didn't waste a second as he pressed the gun to the back of his head and fired.

Before I could digest what happened, or the fact that a face just exploded and blood splattered everywhere, Nikolas's hand was reaching for my wrist again and pulling me, his steps more hurried and urgent this time. The gunshot's sound must've alerted the others because Nikolas was running now, pulling me behind and searching for the main door that could take us outside of this jokingly giant house.

We came across another two men, who were ready to attack because the first thing they did was fire at us. Nikolas pushed me out of the way and I staggered backward, everything played out in a haze as Nikolas jumped them, fighting back, dodging some of their punches and receiving some. I cowered away, scared, my back pressing against the wall as I watched Nikolas's hand wrap over the man's hair and slam his head against the wall with everything in him.

I don't know what was this man operating on right now, for someone who was tortured all over the past hours, he sure has a way of getting out of a fight as the winner. The other guy took advantage of the fact that Nikolas was busy and jumped at him from the back, throwing his punches. I gasped, pressing a hand to my mouth as the gun fell down from Nikolas's hand, his face twisting in pain at the attack that's purposely aimed toward his wounds and scars.

Groans and swearing echoed and enveloped the room as they both fought for dominance, but this one, he was much better than the others, scoring a couple of punches to Nikolas's chest and face, pushing him away, and slamming his failing body into the wall.

Damn, looks like I jinxed him, should've just kept my mouth shut...

I gulped down, my fingers tight over the gun in my hand and I brought it up, my pulse accelerating, my chest tightening with fear and nervousness. I can't even remember the last time I held a gun, back to those days when Roman trained me how to aim and fire...but still, I never used it on an actual human this way.

A shot to their head and you keep running...I don't think I can do that. Killing wasn't my specialty, it was his.

The man landed another punch to Nikolas's face, slowly straining whatever strength he had away, one more hit and he will knock him unconscious, that's for sure. I sucked into a deep breath, the man's back to me, and I aimed my hand lower, my fingers moved over the trigger and I fired, the bullet leaving the gun and hitting him in the leg. I can't kill, but I can give Nikolas a chance to do it himself.

The man let out a groan in pain, totally not expecting this and his balance faltered. Nikolas took advantage and edged forward, slamming his fist, it pressed under the guy's chin and resonated deep, pushing his head backward and his body away. I moved closer, Nikolas's eyes on me as I threw the gun to him and he caught it immediately. Without thinking, he aimed to the head and fired.

He didn't move as fast this time. His chest heaved, exhausted, each strained breath fighting its way out of his lungs. He rushed a hand over his face, trying to kick himself back in. His throat bobbed heavily before his eyes fell on me, his face looked pale and I would say he is seconds away from fainting, "I said run, didn't I?"

I shot him a glare, "You can at least say thank you!" I grumbled out and he dismissed my words, his gaze flickering around, "Let's go," He said, moving to my side, taking my arm again, and heading out.

Before we could leave the room, Nikolas halted to a sudden stop again, making me crash into him, again. My jaw ticked and I shot his back a glare, I am getting fed up with this. There are no newcomers, why did he freaking stop?

When he didn't move, I tilted my head to the side, trying to peek from behind his back. My eyebrows pulled closer in utter confusion as they fell into a...small little boy, a few meters separating us from him. He paused to a stop by one of the dead men's bodies, his eyes on them before they flickered up and to us. He had big headphones over his ears, so unaware and innocent as he removed them away and lowered them around his neck, lines etching between his eyebrows as his hazel eyes met mine, as if trying to understand.

Nikolas's back tensed up, and agitation spun through him, twitching his muscles. My eyes fell into his hand, the one holding the gun, his fingers shook before they wrapped so tight over the gun's grip, the gun still down but Nikolas's finger was by the trigger still, as if ready to just aim it forward and fire. He won't...shoot the kid, right?

"Let's go, what are you waiting for?!" I hissed at him. We could get caught still, why isn't he moving?

Nikolas wasn't listening to me now, busy in his own head. The kid's eyes left me and went to Nikolas, they slowly moved down, falling into the gun safely tucked in his hand and the boy's throat bobbed, swallowing hard and involuntarily taking a step backward. He looked behind and around him, "Dad!" He shot out, fear enveloping his tone and my eyes widened, "Alastor!" He tried to scream again but his voice came out all shaking as he backed away from us and to the center of the room, "He is here!"

What the hell-

Please tell me this isn't his brother...

Nikolas moved closer to the kid but he rushed away, his eyes widening before they fell into the gun over the ground by his feet and he immediately picked it up, aiming it forward at Nikolas, "Don't come near me, or I will do it," He said, his small chest heaving and I chocked over my saliva. For god's sake, he is a kid, eight or something years old...why is he picking a gun off the floor like it's a toy.

Nikolas paused in his steps, his eyebrows pulling closer as he stared back at the kid's defensive state and I inched closer, looking at the boy, "Uh, what are you doing?" I said, trying to smile. I mean kids, I can deal with them...although I have my doubts about this one.

His fearful eyes flickered to me for a mere second, "He is gonna hurt me," He said, breathing heavily, using both hands to hold the gun and aiming at Nikolas still.

"Me?" Nikolas asked, his eyebrows pulling closer as he drank into the feedback of what was happening.

The boy nodded his head multiple times and when Nikolas stepped forward, his eyes widened and he took a couple of steps backward till his back hit the wall, "Yes, you, dad told me about you-"

Dad? Who is his dad? Who the hell is this kid?

I looked at Nikolas, trying to get my answers somehow but he was physically here and his mind was galaxies away. Lines etched deep between his eyebrows, "You're just a kid," He mumbled to himself, speaking his thoughts out loud, as if he just realized this fact right now.

He inched closer, crouching down in front of the boy, leveling himself with him. He brought his hand up, it landed over the gun and he gently moved it out of the kid's grip. He placed it away and the boy gulped down, staring back at Nikolas in pure fear and loss.

Nikolas just shook his head, "I am not going to hurt you," He whispered the words and the kid's eyebrows pulled closer in utter confusion, looking back at Nikolas's face as he tried to come to terms with all of this.

Footsteps echoed from somewhere in the house and Nikolas seemed to hear them as well. He got up to his feet, shaking himself back in, his eyes leaving the kid, his hand on my arm as he pulled me away. Before we could exit the room, my eyes turned back one last time, meeting the kid's as he stared at our retreating backs.

We reached the kitchen and when Nikolas pushed the back door, he was already aiming his gun and firing at the security guard standing there. After that, we just ran, we ran as fast as our speed could take us, trying to gain distance, knowing very well they're not far behind.

It was dark, pitch-black outside, proving my theory of it being way past midnight. I was panting, struggling to catch my breath, all of my senses focused on just running and escaping, "I...I can't-" I mumbled breathlessly, slowing my steps and coming to a small stop, trying to suck oxygen back into my aching lungs. Nikolas listened to my plea and he paused as well. I bent down, pressing my palms over my legs, the air harshly pushing out of my chest and leaving my mouth.

I swallowed hard, slowly getting back to myself and kicking at my tired muscles. I straightened up, my eyes following Nikolas's path of sight as he looked around us, and like him, I couldn't make sense of our location. The house was barely visible by now but it seemed that the whole estate spread all over this land and I think we are still trapped within its boundaries. There was nothing over here but trees and grass.

"Where the hell are we?" I mumbled out.

Nikolas's eyes fell back on me and he shook his head, "I have no idea."

Ahead of us at a distance, I could see the long tall fence, separating us from the outside and defining the borders of this land. Nikolas seemed to notice it as well, his head moved, his eyes following the path of the fence as it spread all around, an added obstacle to our getaway.

"What are we going to do?" I asked, looking back to where we ran away from.

He shook his head, "We can't go there, this is our only way out," He said, moving closer to the fence, his fingers wrapping around the metallic rails, shaking them and checking their strength, his gaze flickering up, seeing how far it goes.

He turned to me, his eyes drifting from the fence to me, "Maybe we should just-" He pointed at it, questioning, and my eyes widened, "What?" I shot out, "No," I shook my head, "I can't," My eyebrow raised, "I am sorry but I think I skipped ninja classes when they were giving it in college!" Considering the rate I get kidnapped at, I probably should take some of those classes actually...

Air pushed out of his chest, looking around us for another way out before his eyes settled on me, "Look, we don't have much time, it's pretty wide around here but they're searching and they would eventually find us, we need to get past it as fast as we can-"

"I told you, there is no way I can climb up there!" I shot out again. Is he insane?

No way, it's too high and I can't stand such heights, I would faint, fall and die.

His throat bobbed, swallowing hard as he kept looking at me, something cooking up in his mind as he added, "Well, I...I can," He mumbled and my eyebrows pulled closer trying to understand where he is going with this, "I mean I can...uh," He scratched his neck and pointed at me and him then at the fence.

My eyes grew wide, finally understanding and I shook my head, "No, no," I shook my head again, "No, no, no way," My lips pressed into a thin line, "You know what, I've had enough of you for one day, I give up," I backed away from him, "You climb up there and leave while me, I will just sit down here, wait for them to find me and catch me again, I am totally okay with that," I looked around, searching for a place to sit down and wait for my death.

His eyebrow raised, "Cara-"

I raised my hand, stopping him from reasoning with me, "Shush, no, I am not gonna do that," I said, hating all of this beyond measures, crossing my arms over my chest and shaking my head again, "I'd rather Isaac lock me in again."

He rushed a hand over his face in frustration, "I think I actually forgot how stubborn you are," He grumbled under his breath in annoyance and I shot him a hard glare, "Hey, don't talk to me like we're friends or something!" Pure anger rushed into my veins and I pointed at him, "Don't let the fact that we cooperated to get out of there means anything, don't you dare forget who I am and who you are," My jaw tightened under the aggression of everything I've been feeling since I opened my eyes and saw us locked up in the same room.

He nodded, "I know, okay, I know, this doesn't change that, I get it," He said in frustration, "But right now, try and think logically, let me get you out of here and hopefully you won't see more of me again," He tried to convince me and I scoffed, "I have a feeling I will always see more of you," I pointed around us, "See, isn't this a proof enough that I will never be totally free of you."

The rage bristling underneath my skin felt too much for something as simple as him carrying me over the fence, but I think I really had enough of him and his close contact for one day.

The muscles of his jaw worked, his gaze flickering around and he huffed out loudly. His eyes fell on mine again before it went to the gun in his hand, he lifted it up and extended his hand forward, "Here you go, you can keep it with you, if you feel uncomfortable in any way, just use it," He said, "Believe me, but this is beyond uncomfortable for me as well," He added and I scoffed, rolling my eyes at his nonsense.

Hate, anger, fury, it all crowded my chest and I wanted to take him back to Isaac so he can do all he did again. At this moment, I just hated him. No logic or reasoning was gonna change my mind or the way I am feeling.

He stepped closer, "I know you don't trust me," He said, "I don't blame you for that, and at this moment, I am not telling you to do, don't," He shook his head, "But at least trust Alex, not me," He added, the idiot hitting me where it hurts, "I am not going to hurt you, in any way," I know he won't but this feeling, it just can't go like this, "Take this," He urged, pushing the gun forward, "Let me get you over the fence at least, you wanna shoot me after, do it, I am not gonna stop you, but look...we made it this far," He looked behind me at where we ran from then back at me, "So, let me just get you out of here, please, not for me, for Alex, for Lilly and..." His jaw worked and he hesitated, "For Alex and your kids, okay?"

Gulping down, I knew I had no other choice. I felt the tears rush behind my eyes and I held them back, stupid me why did I even feel like crying. I shook myself back in and brought my hand forward, taking the gun and keeping it secure in my palm, "How are we gonna do this?" I mumbled.

He looked at the fence, assessing the situation one more time before he looked at me, "Carrying you on my back feels like the most practical way," He said and I nodded, swallowing past the lump in my throat, and moving closer to him, "Uh, what about your-" I pointed at his back, I mean some of his wounds were still bleeding when we got out.

He shook his head, dismissing it, "I can take it," He mumbled and turned around, bending down slightly, "Now, let's go, I think I heard near noises," He said in alarm and extended his hand back, helping me as I wrapped my arms around his neck, his other hand went to the back of my leg, his palm pressing there and pulling me up. I pressed my eyes shut, my jaw tight with agitation, trying to think about everything and anything but this moment.

"Are you okay?" He checked before he moved forward, wrapping his fingers around the rails, positioning himself to climb up with me tucked over his back.

I shook my head, "No, not at all," I mumbled, "But I don't have a choice, do I?"

He started to climb and I involuntarily tightened my arms, beyond scared, "I am sorry," He mumbled, his voice low and sincere.

"I know, but it doesn't change a thing," I mumbled, hating how close I am to him. Without my control, I felt a tear or two scroll past my closed eyelids and trickle down, I didn't have the energy to stop them, I just kept my eyes pressed shut, trying to blind myself from this reality.

I busied my mind with the thought of walking back home, to my Alex, to my little babies. I will be there soon. Hold on, Cara, you've held longer for much worse things, you can do it.

Nikolas was moving, climbing up and over the fence but I didn't dare to pry my eyes open. Time has passed, I think he moved to the other side now, "Hold on tight," He said, shaking me out of my deep trance. His palm pressed over my back, so firm, keeping me in place as he jumped. I gasped, still refusing to open my eyes, my arms tight and my muscles straining and aching after all the pressure I am exposing them to.

"Cara," He said, his voice low again, and trying to shake me out.

I pried my eyes open to see that we are on the other side of the land. I immediately let go of him and pushed myself away, building my safe distance again. His eyes fell on me, they focused on my face as I brought my long sleeves and wiped my cheeks, removing whatever stupid tears had escaped. His expression shifted, lines cut between his eyebrows, his throat bobbing heavily and he looked ahead of us, "We need to keep walking so they can lose our trail," He said, scratching the side of his neck.

I nodded, extending my hand, "Here," I mumbled, handing him the gun back, "In case they come out of nowhere," I added and he gave me an appreciative nod as he took it back, "I kind of doubt they will, but we still need to be careful," He said as we started to pave our way between the trees, hoping to reach a road, or any place with actual humans. Isaac really picked the perfect location to perform his kidnapping.

"What do you mean?" I asked and he shrugged, "I am not sure but I have a feeling that he just let us go," He explained, "It was a bit too easy to just walk out of there the way we did," He added and I stared back at him in confusion; he calls that easy...

"Why would he just let us go?" I asked, because it didn't make much sense.

Nikolas's eyes stayed focused on the road ahead of us, "Because he got what he wanted."

"Which is?" I urged him to say more but he kept silent, refusing to face me or say another word as we continued walking. I rolled my eyes, he can't possibly annoy me more than he usually does, can he?

We've been walking for more than forty minutes, definitely more, an hour maybe. It passed in utter silence. I refused to speak and Nikolas didn't seem to be big on conversations anyway. It's been long though, my feet ache, my chest hurts, my stomach is making all kinds of noises, tumbling up and down, in hunger, and nauseous. I am tired, I am exhausted, I am cold, hungry, and thirsty.

"Can we take a break," I mumbled, my throat dry and I swallowed hard, rubbing a hand over it, trying to blunt the ache away as I heaved a strained breath out of my lungs.

Nikolas paused in his steps, "I know you're tired but look-" He said, pointing at something behind me. I twirled around, looking at a distance across the road where a gas station can be clearly seen from over here, beside it stood a small building, two or three floors maybe, it had the word 'MOTEL' on its top in lightening colors but the letter E had its purple color flickering on and off, so it looked more like 'MOTL'.

Oh, finally. If I wasn't so worn-out, I would've jumped up and down at the fact that there are people over here other than us. The main road after the forest was practically excluded, we've been walking for how long now and barely spotted a car or any other human being.

We made our way across the road and toward the gas station. I breathed out a sigh of relief when I saw a guy inside and behind the counter. I was about to rush in but my eyes took notice of Nikolas and how he pulled his gun out, gripping it tight and probably ready to walk into the shop with guns blazing. My eyes widened and my hand shot to his wrist, stopping him, "What do you think you're doing?" I hissed.

His eyebrow raised, "What?" He shot back in defense, as if I am the wrong one over here.

"You're not planning on threatening the poor guy, are you," I grumbled out, the man behind the counter looked at the beginning of his twenties, skinny and tall, sitting over the chair, his legs extended, watching some match over the TV, bored out of his mind, waiting for anyone to pass by and make his paycheck worthwhile, and here comes Nikolas with his guns and threats...

"How else will he help us?" He said back and I shot him a glare, "By asking nicely," I grated out through clenched teeth, "You never tried that, did you," I shook my head in disbelief, "Not everything can be solved with your gun, just...just tuck it back in and follow my lead."

I sucked into a deep breath and pushed the door open, some bells rang from above, signaling our entrance and Nikolas's eyes shot up, full-on defensive mode, probably ready to shoot the small bells for making a sound. The guy's eyes flickered to his new customers and he stumbled up to his feet, placing his store hat on and pulling a big smile, happy at the fact he will finally interact with another human in this place and at this time, "Welcome to-" His next words hitched in his throat when they fell on Nikolas beside me.

His eyes grew wide, his throat moved and I don't actually blame him. Nikolas looked like a total mess, a dangerous mess at that note, his face bruised with many cuts over it, his hair messed up in all directions, and the shirt had the first few buttons open, exposing some of the bloodied ruined skin underneath. Adding to that, his hostile expression could make any man dig his own grave just to run away from him.

Does he know how to smile and be friendly...like at all?

The guy rubbed his hands nervously, a bit scared, he probably doesn't have tall dangerous bloodied men dropping by his store after midnight in such an excluded area every day.

I ignored Nikolas and moved forward, pulling on the sweetest, most polite smile I could master, "Hey..." My eyes focused on his nametag, "Peter, hey," His eyes fell on me when I called his name, "We had an accident, a terrible one," My eyebrows pulled closer, feigning sadness and fear, well not all fake, "We have no money on us and no phones, we've been walking for more than one hour and we finally found this station," I sniffled, my eyes filling with tears that were both from tiredness and trying to sell him our story, "We just need to borrow a phone and call for help, we have no idea where we are or how to get back home, so if you could help us-"

Lines etched Peter's forehead and he nodded his head, "Yeah, yeah, sure," He said, pulling a phone out of his pocket, unlocking and handing it over, "Here you go."

I gave him an appreciative smile, "Thank you so much," I said and he returned my smile with a nervous one. I moved backward, typing Alex's number and placing the phone to my ear, biting on my nails and hoping that he will pick up. Nikolas's eyes were on me, still in disbelief at how easy I can pull an act. I shot him a glare, telling him to just shut up and he looked away.

"Hello?"

Oh thank god, "Alex, it's m-"

"Cara," He said immediately, alarmed and urgent and I heard shuffling at his side, "Cara, where are you? Are you okay? Wha-"

"Yeah, yeah, I am fine, I am okay," I said, assuring him.

"Where are you?" He shot out, worry enveloping each word, "We've been searching everywhere, we couldn't find you, I was going out of my mind-"

"I know, I know, I am okay, don't worry, I just don't know where we are," I looked at Peter, "Hold on," I said to Alex before I extended the phone to the guy, "Can you explain to him where we are exactly," I said and he nodded, taking the phone from me and explaining our current location to Alex.

Few words got exchanged between them before he handed me the phone back, "It's like a five hours drive, I am on my way but till then, are you okay, are you safe?" He asked, his distress fighting against his tight tone, scared of anything else happening.

My eyes went to Nikolas, looking at me as I talked with Alex, "Nikolas is here too," I mumbled, reflecting that I am not alone, that still, if something was to happen, maybe Nikolas can hold them off, maybe...

There was a short pause from his side, a long second before he spoke again, "Just stay inside, okay, don't go anywhere, I will be there as fast as I can, I promise," He assured me and I nodded, "I know, don't worry, I am okay," I said.

"How can I not worry," A low tired sigh parted him, "I really thought those days were behind us by now," He mumbled, reflecting his own frustration and exhaustion toward this.

I nodded, "Me too," I mumbled, "I will be waiting for you, okay."

"Okay, if you can call me from this phone every now and then, please do," He said, "Or else I will go crazy."

"Okay, I will, just drive safe," I stressed out, knowing he is speeding like crazy trying to get here as fast as he could, "I love you," I added, trying to calm him down.

I heard him suck into a deep breath, "I love you too, cupcakes."

A small smile curved my lips, my heart calming down and we hung up after. I handed the phone back to its owner, "Thanks a lot for this," I said, really appreciative.

He shook his head, like it's nothing, "No problem," His eyes went to Nikolas, who thankfully was silent, before they flickered back to me, "Uh ma'am, if you want, instead of just waiting here, the motel there is also ours, we don't have much visitors anyway, but you can stay there and wait, it's warmer inside and you can both rest."

I nodded, "That would be great," And to think Nikolas was gonna barge in and shoot the guy.

He nodded, circling his way across the counter and leading our ways out of the station and inside the Motel. It was a small little place, a young girl, more like Peter's age sitting at the receptionist's desk. Her eyes flickered over us in confusion before they went to Peter, questioning the story of these two strangers.

"Uh, if you want a room, we can open one, and also if you just want to hang around, do whatever suits you, ma'am," He said, nervous and polite, and I am really starting to hate the ma'am word, I am not that old.

I shook my head, "No need for a room, thank you," For god's sake, I am not on a honeymoon with my ex-husband.

He nodded, pointing at the waiting area, "There are couches there, you can sit and rest, and on the other side is the bathroom," He explained and after thanking him, I headed toward the waiting room, there were many couches as he said, a table in the middle with magazines that dates back to centuries ago carelessly thrown over it.

I settled down over one of the couches, exhausted and just in need to sit down and rest my throbbing legs. Nikolas sank down on the one across from me, he pressed his elbow over the cushion, pressing his forehead into his palm. A few minutes later and Peter came back, handing me a water bottle and a bag that contained some snacks, "I am sorry but there isn't much food at this hour, I could grab these from that station, if you need anything else-"

"Oh, you didn't have to, that's so nice of you," I said, taken aback by his generosity, but truth be told, one look at us and anyone would understand we've been through some messed up shit today.

He nodded his head with a smile, moving to Nikolas's side and carefully dropping a water bottle by his side. Nikolas just shot him a glare in return, forcing him to cower away. The poor guy left the room, closing the door, giving us privacy I guess.

Nikolas's eyes kept focused on the door that led Peter out, "Would it kill you to be nice once," I mumbled before I shugged half of the water down my dry throat.

"What the hell is his problem?" He grumbled out, annoyed.

"He is helping us," I explained and his eyebrow raised, "Why?"

"Because some people are actually nice," I added, maybe his thick head could grasp the concept of being nice. He should learn some.

He scoffed, "No one is just nice for no reason."

I rolled my eyes, "Some people are, it's called compassion and empathy," I added, "Not everyone is like your father."

The mention of him had Nikolas shutting up. Great. I finished the water bottle, feeding my thirst and even though I was practically starving, I couldn't manage to eat any of the things he brought me, nervousness still rubbed at my stomach, tightening it into a hundred different knots. I won't feel totally safe till Alex gets here.

Some time passed and my mind kept going through the same thoughts over and over again, stuck in one loop. The fact that Nikolas and I are in the same room again wasn't helping my case that much. Making up my mind, I got up to my feet and inched closer to him. Extending my hand forward, I asked for it, "Give me the picture."

His eyes flickered up to me, the confusion wrapping with the tiredness in his eyes, "What?"

"Max's picture," I clarified, "I know that you took it with you when we left there, I want it, give it to me."

His eyebrows pulled deeper, his expression shifting, his jaw worked, and he whispered, "Why?"

I bit the inside of my cheek, "Because he is my son, and I don't want you having anything of his, not even a picture."

I would be lying if I say I didn't notice the hurt flash into his eyes because I did, but without a word, he placed his hand in his pant's pocket and pulled it out. Extending his hand forward, I snatched it away, stepping backward and pushing it into my pocket.

I was walking back to my previously occupied space when he decided to talk, "I did what you wanted," He started, his voice low and I halted in my steps, listening, "I did as promised and I never came near him, I still won't, but a picture wasn't going to hurt anyone, Cara."

I twirled around and shook my head, "You are not the one to decide that," I said, "You don't know how many nights I couldn't sleep just thinking how you could come and take him from me," I admitted and he shook his head, getting up to his feet and facing me, "I would never do that."

"How would I know," My eyebrows raised, "The Nikolas who did to me what he did, that Nikolas is capable of anything," I said the only truth I know and believe in, "And just hours ago you admitted that to your father, didn't you?" I swallowed hard, "That the monster is still there in you, so...what's my guarantee that he won't show up one day and take my son away."

Heartbreak erupted all over his face and he shook his head, "I would never do that, not even the monster in me would dare to do it," He shook his head, certain of every word, "If not for your sake or for Alex's sake, at least for Max's sake, I would never hurt him like that. Never."

My jaw tightened and I stayed silent but he didn't, "Do you think it's easy," He said, his tone forcing my gaze to fall back on him, "I know, look I know, I know that I don't have any right on him in any way, that I am not supposed to call him my son or look at him as his father, that I fucked up and this is my punishment, I know all of that, but it doesn't make it any easier," He added, the color of his eyes taking a darker shade, "And I know it's not supposed to be easy but there isn't a day that I don't think about him, there isn't a day that I don't try to imagine what he looks like-"

Emotions pushed and pulled in his eyes, "If I have the strength to wake up every day, it's only because I want to do right by him somehow, even from far away, even without him knowing that I exist," His voice held an edge, strained and hoarse with his suppressed feelings, "It's still not easy, Cara, it's killing me slower every day," He shook his head, "And I am so relieved that he gets to have Alex as his father and you as his mother but...but this doesn't make the fact that I will never be able to look at him suck any less," His voice rasped, "You don't get how painful it is to know that I will never be able to hold him."

"So, don't worry, because I will always fight everything in me and I will always stay as far as possible from him," He added, his words convincing, because I know he had many chances to break that promise and he didn't. The thing is...trusting him? It's just not that easy.

I moved backward, sitting down by the edge of the couch, my fingers twitching, my nerves flaring in a way I didn't quite understand, "What you said to him...the truth that-" I couldn't get myself to say it out loud, my eyes focused on my lap, fidgeting with my fingers, "Was it true?"

His silence had me meet his gaze and he shook his head, bewildered and terrified, "Don't ask me about that," Something seemed to be fighting in his eyes, "I am not mentally prepared to deal with what I said back there."

My jaw tightened, my lower lip quivering slightly and I pulled it under my teeth, stopping myself from reliving that past again. I was okay, really, I was moving on, I think maybe I did, I moved on from the incident as a whole but one thing for sure is...I didn't move on from him. Today, all of this, it's just one big reminder, pushing me down that memory lane, pushing me to face my attacker, my villain, once and for all.

"You liked it, didn't you," My voice came out weak, the total opposite of the tone I've been using with him since we crossed paths again, "You liked breaking me the way you did, didn't you?!"

He kept silent, his fearful eyes on me, begging me to drop this topic down, but his silence only triggered me and my anger. I pushed myself up to my feet and toward him, "Answer me, say it!" I snapped and he shook his head, "I don't know," He whispered, lost in his own head and own messy thoughts.

"You did," I shook my head, "Of course, you did," I added, "I remember that Nikolas more than anyone, I remember looking into your eyes and seeing nothing in there," My jaw tightened, "I remember that look of pure satisfaction when you pushed me into Lucas's arms knowing very well that you won," He pressed his eyes shut, blinding himself from a truth I lived with eyes wide open, "I remember it all...and you sick asshole, you enjoyed it, you liked it!" I snapped, unable to trap the anger inside as I marched at him, my fist slamming into his body, wanting to hurt him, in any way I can.

He kept his eyes shut, allowing me to let out whatever ounces of hurt were still trapped deep down in my brain and soul, "Why...just why!" I snapped, my fist slamming into any part of him they could find, my voice bellowing into the small room, but not breaking yet because my anger was much much stronger than my pain this time, "You'd think for someone who's been through all that pain," Another punch to his arm, "You'd think for someone who's been in that same exact position, who tasted that helplessness, and that agony," Punch to his chest, "You'd think he would understand!"

My fingers tightened over his collar, pushing him backward and he just let me, "You'd think he would not inflict that same pain on someone who just as innocent as he once was!"

"How could you?!" Tears blurred my vision but my tone was steady and loud, "You felt that same pain, you were subjected to that dame abuse, for god's sake you saw it happen to your own mother, so how could you!"

His eyes pried open, and the first tear escaped past the threshold, his eyes looked into mine, showing me the tangled-up mess he is and my voice lowered, "How could you?" He just shook his head, so helpless, his voice cracking, "I don't know."

My jaw tightened, the fury burning me deep down and all I felt was my palm meeting his face again, my slap moving his face to the other side, "How could you not know!" I shouted, the exasperation pulled at the knots in my stomach, knitting them tighter.

His eyelids dropped down for a mere second, his jaw tightening but he didn't stop me, he didn't tell me to back away, he didn't because he knows he deserves this, that I deserve this, this one chance to let my anger out. I never wanted Alex to do anything to him, I never wanted him to avenge my pain, it never made sense and it still doesn't. It's my pain, no one will understand it but me, no one is capable of getting rid of it or avenging it but me...

My gaze fell down, the metal of the gun flashing and I pulled it out of his pants and into my grip, aiming it at him, the barrel pressed into his chest and I held the gun with both hands, my finger over the trigger, "I hate you so much," I said it, for the first time this one sentence exposing so much more, it tumbled out, taking with it some of the pain and parts of the anger.

He nodded, "I know," He said, his defeated broken gaze on me.

"You ruined my life," I added, sniffling and he nodded again, "I know."

"You made me want to kill myself," I said.

His jaw ticked and another tear trickled down his cheek, "I know."

"You made me feel disgusting for letting you do what you did, for being too scared to stop you."

"I am the disgusting one, not you," He said and I nodded, "You are."

"I wish I can kill you," I whispered.

"I wish you would."

"But I know your death would do me nothing," I shook my head, "You died, I believed it, maybe it relieved me for a while but it didn't take the pain away."

I pressed the barrel further into his chest, I was enjoying having the upper hand over him for once, "I wish I can make you feel every bad thing you made me feel."

"You don't believe me, but I do, I feel it all," He said and I shook my head, "No, you don't."

"I do, Cara, I do." He added, "What do you want me to say, do you want me to tell you how I purposely keep ruining every good thing in my life, how whenever I see happiness up close, I walk the opposite way, how I keep finding and searching for ways to bring myself down, how I punish myself without needing anyone else to do it," He shook his head, "Do you want me to tell you that I can't even kiss my girlfriend without hating myself, how I can't get the courage to touch her and not feel like I committed a crime, that I know I can love her more than anything or anyone but I stop myself because I know that I don't deserve any of that."

I pulled the gun away from his chest, stepping backward and using my sleeves to wipe at my cheeks, "Pain...it's all I ever feel, Cara, there isn't a second that I don't feel it," He added, "I feel it everywhere, in my mind, in my heart, deep in my bones, everything in me is in agonizing pain, every second of every day," He shook his head, "You're talking about killing me, believe me, the happiest I've been is when I thought I was going to die, and the only thing stopping me from doing it again is that I know death isn't enough punishment."

"Death is easy, but living...living is hard," He added.

"If there is any way I can take away your pain, if there is any way I can go back and change everything, I would at any cost...but there isn't, so all I can do is punish myself till the point where I can't possibly take it anymore," He added and I kept wiping at my cheeks, feeling the weakness take me in its hold, all of my energy getting depleted.

"So, you are asking me if I liked it..." He shook his head, his tears falling down like mine, "I don't know, I don't know, I just know what they taught me, I just know pain, I just know I am addicted to it," He added, "And I know that I am so scared of what he said...I am so scared of doing it again because I don't want to hurt anyone, I don't want to hurt you ever again, I don't want to hurt Alex...I can't hurt him."

His eyes were on the ground, fighting a battle deep down, "I can't hurt Alex," he repeated the words again, and I saw the tear that dropped from his chin down to the floor, "He is all I have, I keep pushing him away, but he is all I have, he is all I want, he is all I ever wanted," I closed my eyes and pressed my hand to my mouth, trying to hold myself back from breaking down more, "If anything happens to him, I-"

I moved backward, my legs weak, unable to carry me any longer at the mere thought of what Nikolas was saying and I sank into the couch, my eyes never leaving him.

He shook his head, unable to speak, the pain he was speaking of, I could now clearly see it bleeding down his eyes and mouth, I could see it ripping him from the inside out. His eyes, the ones that harbored the monster for too long, they were broken beyond measures, proving that Isaac really got what he wanted, "I am sorry," He said, breathing the words out, "I know it won't change a damn thing but I really hope one day you believe how sorry I am."

His chest heaved with every strangled breath he took and he edged forward, a few steps only, a small space still separating us, "Your forgiveness, I would beg for it, but I know that I will never fully deserve it."

My lungs burned, my chest ached and I sucked into a deep breath, my eyes growing wide, the shock slapping me in the face when his knees sank to the ground with a heavy thud right in front of me and by my feet, his head hung low, in defeat, in regret, in sorrow, in shame and so much more...

"I am so sorry," He repeated it again, the agony in his tone enough to break down the walls around us. His head still hanging low, almost pressing against my own knees, refusing to look up and meet my eyes.

I couldn't fathom a single word or thought.

The man said he would kneel to no one.

But now, he was kneeling right in front of me.

************************************

Hey!

So, how was the chapter?
I hope you liked it.

Sorry for the late update but I was quite busy, I still am but it's free_soul_c 's birthday 🥳 🎉 and I have to give her a gift, which is Nikolas wrapped up in a bow, her favorite xD

Although, Nik in these last chapters is definitely not a gift to anyone :(

Anyways; tell me your thoughts.

I wanted this chapter to be from Cara's Point of View, and next chapter we'll go back to Nik's POV, and see all that he is thinking of after what Isaac did.

See you then!
Love y'all <3

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

23.7K 1.4K 33
-I am not good at giving descriptions but please give my story a chance- "He was the calm and she was the storm." They always say, loving someone wou...
791K 31.8K 61
DISCRETION SERIES - Stand Alone - BOOK #5 ♥︎♥︎♥︎♥︎♥︎♥︎♥︎♥︎♥︎ " I only trust you, Tesoro.. " He muttered once again, not budging when I tried to pull...
5.2K 149 25
ONGOING, SLOW UPDATES. Thank you for reading though! As a young girl you had always believed that monsters as they seemed, were always big creepy th...
4.4K 241 12
"Passion's a word which involves so many feelings. I feel it when we touch; I feel it when we kiss; I feel it when I look at you. For you are my pass...