The Rare Ones

By Pearl-esque

They say no two persons are the same, and it's the truth. Some are lovers, some fighters, others are stars an... More

π“π‘πž π‘πšπ«πž 𝐎𝐧𝐞𝐬
Cast Aesthetics & Playlist
0: Prologue
*1*
*2*
*3*
*4*
*5*
*6*
*7*
*8*
*9*
*10*
*11*
*12*
*13*
*14*
*15*
*16*
*17*
*18*
*19*
*20*
*21*
*22*
*23*
*25*
*26*
*27*
*28*
*29*
*30*
*31*
*32*
*33*
*34*
*35*
*36*
*37*

*24*

98 43 12
By Pearl-esque

Heyo!

Let's start right away, shall we?

(P.S: Deja in the media🔥)

~~~~~~~
"I think I've fallen for you...."
~~~~~~~
- Jaden
(Fallen For You)

Kesiena

"Sorry that I had to come steal you away again," I apologised.

Adejare looked up at me as she sat down and gave me a small smile. "I promised you I'd help, didn't I?"

"You did," I replied.

"Sit down, then," she said, pulling up a chair and then sitting at the opposite side.

We were in the Chemistry Lab.

Since the week started, I've been calling Adejare away from her friends during Lunch to meet me here, and she's been helping me with my Chemistry.

I sat and watched as she opened up the book in front of her, performing that simple action with such grace.

My eyes were all over her before I could stop myself.

Her unmade hair was in a neat, well-packed bun on top of her head, pulling her facial features upwards somewhat. The small studs she wore as earrings sparkled under the lights as she moved her eyes from page to another.

And her eyes.

Adejare had the prettiest eyes. A deep, rich, clear brown that you could look right through.

She looked up at me again and I sighed internally.

Her plump lips were a nice, dark maroon colour that I knew was completely natural.

That was the thing about this girl-goddess, everything about her was purely unadulterated.

From her unblemished skin that was the definition of dark glass to her model like figure. From the tip of her pretty noses to the ends of her delicately structured fingers.

All natural. All beautiful.

"KESIENA!"

I winced. "Why did you scream like that?"

She blinked. "Seriously? You spaced out for like two minutes. I've been calling you since."

I smiled and then laughed under my breath.

See what you have turned me into, Adejare.

"I don't know why you're laughing o, but I want you to solve these questions," she said, sliding the textbook over so I could see.

"Yes ma'am," I said, picking up my pen and opening the spare notebook I use for these lessons.

I was more than happy to solve these tricky questions to better myself and get her approval, but her giving me work meant she wasn't going to talk much and I wanted to hear her voice.

"So,uh....." I began very awkwardly, eyes fixed on the books. "I see Beryl hasn't been around."

"Yeah, she's been busy."

That was it. She didn't say anything more.

"How is your family?" I asked abruptly.

"Fine," she answered tightly.

"Sorry," I mumbled.

Cue a very awkward silence that lasted for ages.

I kicked myself internally and focused on my work.

"It seems you're in the mood to talk," Adejare eventually said.

"Kind of," I admitted.

This might sound crazy, but your voice is quite addictive.

"Oya na," she prompted me.

"You ehn," I chuckled.

"Me? What did I do?" She responded, laughter in her voice.

She had the prettiest laugh as well, soft and light, with just the right amount of energy.

"Guy, remember when we were in JSS?" I asked.

"How can I forget?"

"You and your clique of besties that have been together since Day One," I said, looking up briefly.

A smile was spread across her face as she stared down at the counter top.

"Actually, it's Chetachi I've been friends with the longest. We met at a competition when we were in Primary School and clicked immediately."

"Awwn," I coo'd and she hissed playfully.

"I was surprised when I came in JSS1 and Cheta was here, but it was a good kind of surprise. Our friendship has just grown and deepened over the years. She's like a sister."

There was a light in her eyes as she spoke and I was hypnotised.

"And Beryl?" I managed to ask.

Adejare laughed. "She literally ran up to me and went 'Hi, I'm Beryl. You're pretty and you're my friend now!'"

I laughed as well.

"She also made friends with Cheta and the three of us have just been inseparable till now," she finished. "How about you?"

"It was around the time that the whole school was madding over Phineas," I said with a laugh.

In Junior school, Phineas was a bit of a Hillsong star for his biraciality, and when that bout of fame faded away, he reclaimed it back for being a beast in sports.

"Oh yeah, I remember that. All the Seniors back then wanted him as their school son. And those mumu JSS2 girls would always come to our block to talk to him," she responded with a snort.

"All dem Alicia and Eyo," I mused. "So anyway, I always seemed to find myself around Phineas and Majid, 'cos they were already a bit close and then one day we ate lunch together and just bonded. Ola joined us in 3rd term of JSS1 and then Archie in JSS2."

"I was sooo shy in Junior school," Adejare said, shaking her head. "I swear I didn't talk to anyone apart for Cheta, Beryl and Jasper."

"Jasper Okezie?" I asked, my happy tone falling.

"Yes na, Beryl's brother," she instantly replied.

I made a humming sound and looked back down at question no. 2.

I never liked Jasper, and the worst part is I have no idea why I disliked him so much.

Or do you?

Jasper Okezie was one of the most popular people to ever grace the halls of Hillsong High, and he had achieved this popularity without even trying.

He had the looks, the charm, the swag, the money, everything one needs to secure a seat in the upper circles. And not only did he secure a seat, he became head of the table.

When Adejare and I were classmates in JSS2, he would always come to our classroom at Break and Lunch to talk to her. They would talk and joke and laugh, and I found it weird that Jasper, then in SS2, was spending so much time with her.

But I had brushed it aside, simply for the fact that he was the older brother of her best friend.

"Do you still talk to Jasper?" I questioned, looking up again.

She nodded slightly, biting on her lip.

"He texted me recently. He's schooling in France," she said, smiling wistfully.

Of course he is.

"You never really liked him, did you?" Adejare asked, surprising me.

Is it that obvious?

I shrugged. "He was just....I don't know...too Jasper-y?"

Adejare laughed. "What does that even mean?"

"He was always trying to be everyone's friend, kinda like Beryl, but in a more stereotypical way, I guess, like he was playing a game and gaining more points with each friend or something," I said.

"Ah! Na wa o!" Adejare kept laughing.

It felt good to see her laugh, though. Her cheeks going up and her perfect white teeth exposed in expression of sheer mirth.

And I was the one making her laugh like this, after everything.

But I knew this was temporary.

As soon as we're out of here and back to our classroom she'll go back to not wanting to talk to me.

I stared at her again, wanting desperately to ask her why what I did back then had offended her so much, even though I was trying to help.

But, more importantly, I wanted to apologise. To start afresh.

Her laughter broke down to giggles and then she was just there with a small, serene smile on her face.

"Oya, enough talk, keep working," she ordered softly.

Then again, maybe we're already starting afresh.

"Yes, ma'am," I said, focusing on my work once more.

Chetachi

This is a setup.

How come Beryl is busy and not in school and Deja is tutoring Kesiena? And how come Majid is busy doing something for his brother? All at the same time, might I add...and all leaving me to have lunch with Phineas.

Nah, this is a setup.

And maybe you're crazy and this is just pure coincidence?

I mean, technically I had been eating alone until he joined me and suggested we eat together, outside in the Courtyard, to which I had agreed without much persuasion.

So.....it's not a setup, I guess.

"Why did want to eat outside, anyway?" I asked Phineas, pushing all thoughts of setups out of my mind.

He inhaled deeply before answering. " I like the Courtyard, the vibes are always chill."

I nodded. He was right. The Courtyard was that place everyone in the school seemed to love, and it was easily accessible from almost every point, including just outside the Cafeteria Hall.

It was like a mini-park/garden with trees, flowers and other vibrant vegetation all round the sides. The ground was stone cobbled and there were dozens of stone benches on the sides as well, under the shade of the trees.

There was a stunning, stone built fountain right in the center, and enough space for multiple plastic tables and chairs to be arranged the way they were now, with students occupying them.

We're all allowed to spend Break and Lunch times in the Courtyard, but there was an unwritten that only Seniors could enjoy eating their lunch out here. But, of course, some Juniors had still snuck their way in and I could see several JSS2s and 3s -the JSS1s don't have the liver yet.

People were in groups at each table, much like the rest of the students in the Cafeteria Hall, eating, talking, laughing and generally enjoying the hour-long break from school work.

The trees provided adequate shading and coolness, as the flowers filled the air with their rich, natural perfume.

Like Phineas said, the vibes in this place were just so chill and it made me wonder why I hadn't come out here more often.

"Can I ask you something?"

I turned to Phineas and blinked, my throat going dry.

Since the kiss last week, he's been his usual friendly, borderline flirty self with me and hasn't asked any questions whatsoever.

And as for me? Well, Operation Tochi's Spec is officially over, so I've been trying to be more of myself around him.

What could he want to ask me?

And why does he look so intense?

"Ask me," I said, taking a sip of water from the bottle in my hands.

Phineas tilted his head a little and smiled. "Would you be my muse?"

I choked slightly on the water going down my throat.

"Ehn?"

"You know, a muse, something that inspires," he explained, amused at my expression.

"You want me to inspire you?" I was confused as I posed my question.

He pulled out a folded notebook and a pen from his pocket and I remembered he said he writes poetry.

"You already inspire me," he said easily, flipping the book open.

My stomach lurched.

Must be the Jollof beans I ate.

"Well, if I already inspire you, doesn't that mean I'm already your muse?"

"Yes. But I still wanted to ask." He stopped flipping at a blank page and looked at me with a cheeky grin. "You know I'm a gentleman."

At that I hissed and rolled my eyes.

Phineas chuckled and held his pen above the paper, ready to write.

"Your left-handed," I noted.

"Ambidextrous, actually."

"Oh, wow."

Tochi had been ambidextrous, while I was right-handed and I did everything I could to write with both hands the way she could to no avail.

"Thanks," he said, briefly flashing me a smile.

"So, what does one do as a muse?" I asked.

"Whatever you want," he replied. "But for now, you can just sit here with me and keep me company."

"Can I at least read what you're writing?"

I craned my neck over his shoulder to get a glimpse of his notebook but he closed it immediately.

"Not until I'm done."

With a sigh, I adjusted and leaned back against the cool, stone bench we were sitting on, watching the other students.

All the 'popular' SS3 kids were here, including some of the footballer guys, a couple dance team members and the likes. I also spotted Janice and her squad of divas, though Noelle didn't seem to with them.

Among the SS2s and 1s present were the big boys and bad bitches in their respective sets. You know, the ones that are too big for their ages and think they can flout authority and bend rules however they like.Basically, those ones that need homemade slaps to reset their brains.

A good number of SS3 guys were flirting with girls in lower classes and the foolish girls were giggling nonstop like hyenas on crack, particularly the ones in SS1 who Mikel Enyashi was talking to.

There were even a few couples, boldly forming goals in the absence of any teaching staff.

But, like, seriously Craig and Iheoma, do you really have to feed each other like an old, married couple?

"Can I ask a weird question?" came Phineas' deep, accented voice.

"It depends on what you define as weird," I drawled turning to face him.

"What's your favourite ice-cream flavour?"

"Strawberry," I answered immediately. "And while that question isn't exactly weird, why did you ask?"

He looked at me and slowly licked the corner of his lip.

My stomach lurched again.

Remind me to sue whoever cooked those goddamn beans!

"Well, they say if you kiss someone, they'll taste like their favourite ice-cream flavour," he replied.

I gulped internally. It wasn't just what he said, but the way he said it, and the way he way he was looking at me as he said it.

"Really?" I asked, like I wasn't flustered at all.

"Yes, apparently," he said, like it was the most normal thing in the world.

"And who are these 'they' that are always saying things?" I muttered, a bit more to myself than to him. "What do they even know?"

Phineas grinned, shaking his head, the tip of his tongue sticking out just a little to lick his lips in one smooth motion.

"You'll have to ask them yourself," he said, looking at me with that cheeky and -dare I say it- sexy look on his face that made me feel a bit funny on the inside.

Okay.....so not the beans,then. It's been him all along.

He went back to his writing and turned my attention back to the scene around us.

The announcement system suddenly crackled to life and silence descended on everyone.

"Good afternoon everyone," a voice, that of Laura Bidemi in D class, said. "The auditions for this year's end of session play are now open. You may register for your chosen parts on the lists in front of the theatre. Thank you."

There was a subtle click, indicating that Laura had turned off the microphone, but then there was another one, meaning she had turned it back on again.

We all waited for the remaining announcements.

"Zaaaaa zoooooo!"

The noise that broke out immediately was so loud as everyone started laughing and cheering.

"My fellow Hillsongers! It's your favourite on-air personality, DJ Aussie T, serving you all the fresh jams you need to keep you hyped and ready to go!"

"This boy," Phineas laughed beside me as more cheers erupted.

Once or twice a term, Austin, or rather, DJ Aussie T, hijacks the announcement and sound systems to play music during Lunchtime. It's become a sort of tradition here at Hillsong, and even the teachers don't seem to mind much. But I guess that's just because none has been able to catch him red-handed in the act. He's always so unpredictable, and by the time he's done, he'll just sneak off and disappear.

Trust me, if I was a teacher, I wouldn't waste my time and energy looking up and down for an element like Austin Mba.

"This next tune is dedicated to a very special someone, who's dear to my heart," he said, eliciting "Awww"s and "God when?"s from the girls.

"So without further ado; HILLSONG HIGH, ARE YOU READY TO BAM-BAM?!"

I'm pretty sure the whole school screamed in agreement. The screams increased somewhat, if that was even possible, when Monalisa by Lojay and Sarz started playing.

Several people immediately stepped up to the space in the middle, majority of them being those on the Dance Team.

Two boys started doing a leg-work routine out of nowhere and everyone hyped them up, some even boldly whipping out their phones to take videos.

I hyped as well, yelling and clapping from where I sat.

"Ugh! I wish Beryl was around!" I whined, gripping Phineas' arm softly.

He laughed and turned to say something when;

"Wanna dance, mais linda?"

I looked up to see Ricardo, standing in front of me with his hand outstretched and a smile on his face.

(I couldn't resist you guyssss😩😂. Here's our Ricardo Santano Luiz🔥 He's not smiling in these pics tho😂😂😂💔)

He had his full hair pulled back into a puffy man-bun that exposed the stylish cut he had at the front of his hair, as well as his diamond stud earrings.

"I,uh..."

"Come on, dance with me. Please?"

"I don't really feel like dancing," I said, shaking my head with a smile.

He tilted his head, eyes still on me. "You sure, bonita?"

"She said she doesn't feel like dancing, bro," Phineas replied for me.

Ricardo raised his hands in surrender.

"Okay, then. I'll just have to show you what you're missing out on."

With a wink and a smirk, Ricardo jogged over to one of the SS3 tables and pulled up a girl by the hand.

He twirled her around, salsa style, and more noise erupted.

Almost everyone was up on their feet, watching the dancers or just vibing on their own. Even those in the Cafeteria had come outside to join the fun. It was like a big party had just randomly begun and everyone was flowing with it.

Ricardo showed off his skills, pulling off one move after the other, twisting and turning and moving his feet like an expert, making most of the girls swoon and scream.

The girl he had pulled up didn't seem to much of a dancer and couldn't keep up with him, instead she began whining her waist and hips against Ricardo seductively, going lower each time.

The screaming became louder as Ricardo rolled his hips in response to her movements, such that they were practically grinding against each other.

My eyes went wide at what I was beholding.

I turned to Phineas,wanting to make sure he was also seeing what I was seeing, but his eyes were on me and not the spectacle in front of us.

"You're missing the performance," I said, nudging him softly with my elbow.

He responded with a small smile, deep green eyes still fixed on me with a searingly hot intensity.

My heart rate picked up slightly as my stomach lurched yet again.

Why is he looking at me like that?

I opened my mouth to ask him just that, only to be interrupted when the music suddenly stopped playing.

There was a loud, collective groan of protest which broke into equally loud mummurs.

The mummurs died down a bit as the mic got clicked on.

"Ahem!"

Like a tidal wave, silence washed over each and every student that had gathered here in the Courtyard and probably in the whole school.

Only one person cleared their throat like that.

It was Mr. Kalejaiye aka Papa, the old Physics teacher, who's rumoured to have taught at Hillsong since it's inception over 25 years ago.

I've heard that he even taught some of our other teachers when they were in Secondary School.

And while he's a good and extremely qualified educator, he is...well... very old-fashioned.

"I am completely appalled by this frivolous display of sheer nonsense," Papa began sternly.

Someone sneezed and was immediately shushed by about 10 people.

"Back in my day..."

This caused a few groans, but they were shushed as well.

Papa is also known as 'Back in my day'.

I've probably heard that phrase from him a million times.

It's either; "Back in my day, we didn't have all this God forsaken technology!"

Or; "Back in my day I would walk all the way from Surelere to Lekki to get to school."

"Back in my day," he came again, "such a thing would never happen! The level of disrespect and lack of decorum in your generation is totally disheartening. I mean, what an arrant display of unorganised brouhaha!"

Several 'ha's and 'na wa o's went up before the place became silent again.

Papa took a deep breath into the mic and I visualised him adjusting his ancient framed spectacles he always said he bought as a student at Cambridge University.

"Such behaviour will not go unpunished," he stated clearly. "For this, your Lunchtime ends now, and will be cut in half for the rest of this week and the whole of next week."

Groans came from every direction.

"It is advised that the student behind this despicable act should turn himself in. Now, everyone return to your classes, whether you are done having your meal or not; I don't care. And as for the class that I am having this next period, SS2C, I do not and I mean DO NOT want to arrive in the Lab before you!"

A bunch of SS2 girls squeaked and made a mad dash for the doors, basically trampling over each other. The boys followed right after, rushing inside like they were being chased by a wild animal.

The dejected looking Juniors made their inside as well, knowing fully well that Papa's words were literal Law.

That left only the SS3s and a few SS1s.

Ricardo winked and flashed me a smile as he practically bounced inside with Mikel.

Phineas stood up and stretched out his arms.

I don't know why, but my mind took me back to the first day of the term...you know, when I saw Phineas shirtless.

I shook my head slightly, in an attempt to stop myself from thinking about his tanned skin and toned body that were etched deep within my mind's eye.

Get it together, Chetachi! I scolded myself, standing as well.

"Oh, um, you have some dust on your skirt," Phineas said, pointing at my...backside.

I turned my head to look and saw that my skirt was stained with a bit dust, which I wiped off.

"Thanks," I began saying when I paused.

What were his eyes doing down there?

"Let's go, then," he said.

Instead of going back into the Cafeteria Hall, we went round the Courtyard and started walking back to the academic building.

"It's such a beautiful day," I whispered, running a hand across a row of flowers.

I would have suggested we take a detour and head to the View Point, but we're both Prefects and, like I said, Papa's words are literally Law around here.

Phineas hummed in response, walking beside me with his hands jammed into his pockets.

"What's up-"

"There's a-"

Our words ended up in a chorus and we both laughed.

"You go first," I said.

He breathed out heavily and then smiled at me.

"There's a meteor shower this evening. We could go watch it together at the Planetarium if you want."

I blinked.

Is he asking me out?

"I-"

"-I go love o, shuu!"

I looked up to see Austin headed in our direction.

He walked up to us and we exchanged greetings.

"Papa is looking for you," I told him, trying to hide the amused expression on my face.

Austin beamed at me and nodded. "I know. Na why I wan cut out first. E go look for me tire, ehn."

Phineas shook his head with a smile.

Austin was a wonder.

He gazed round, probably to see if the coast was clear.

"E go be," he eventually said, shaking our hands again before dashing past us.

We kept walking in silence till Phineas cleared his throat.

"So?"

I looked him in the eye and smiled.

"It's a date."

Hehehe🌝.

Funny enough, my fave parts of this chapter were Papa and Austin😂💔.

My classmates will probably know who they're based on🤸🏽‍♀️✨.

Anywhoooo, how was the chapter?

The next one features some Chetachi and Phineas action, so expect it🌝😗.

Btw, they deserve a dope couple name,right?

Lemme hear your ideas on that.

Oh, and many thanks to all my new followers and readers. You're the absolute besttt❤❤❤.

Aiit, vote, comment and share as usual.

See y'all next time.

❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

43.7K 12.9K 41
When Dieko's father becomes a drunkard overnight, her mother becomes a punching bag but she endures it hoping it will all end soon but when he then b...
36 16 11
Highschool is an institution for learning where we meet different people with certain backgrounds, talents, dreams, and statuses. It is also a place...
848 171 25
She hide her pains behind her smiles..! Well, we all experience life differently, Like it is said life is a test and every one has his own differentl...
6.6K 1.2K 22
what happens when the rich and most reserved guy in school falls in love with his sister's best friend that happens to be the new girl in school that...