The Mask Maker

By Chimera843

**Revised and Completed!** "Everyone you meet is multifaceted, and everyone wears many different masks." Sinc... More

The Mask Maker
The Best Man for the Job
A Picture and a Conversation
A Glimpse Into Her Mind
The Wager
Two Face's Predicament
Will I Make It?
A Deal With the Devil
An Upgrade
The First Mission
The Escape
The Ordinary Side of Life
The Choices We Must Make
Reunions
The Price of Admission
Monsters
Where Did You Go?
The Mightyena in Wooloo's Clothing
The Tracks Ahead
Please Don't Let It Be Them
The Aftermath
The Mind's Eye
Understanding
Found
Corruption
Aftereffects
Foresight
Preparations
Shadows
The Test: Part 1
The Test: Part 2
Even Beasts
The Test: Part 3 (Finale)
Damaged
Welcome to the Battle Subway!
002
Fear
All Her Fault
The Fight of Four
Morai's Fall
Something Terrible
Just One Thing
Merry Christmas, Morai
She Will Never Return
Home
Captured Again
Convictions
Friend and Foe
Grim Future
Revenge
Dawn of the Final Day
Morai's Last Fall
The Fight for the Realm of Dreams

Who's There?

24 0 0
By Chimera843

Morai woke up and realized she had no sense of what time it was, since she was deep in a cave and all. She had reluctantly brought her phone with her, though, so she could keep track of time that way. She wanted to leave it behind and be completely disconnected from her usual life, but she knew her friends would worry after not hearing from her for months. The last thing she wanted was to spark a world-wide search for herself. 

8:23 am? That's a little late. I'm still so sore...and tired. I'm hungry, too. 

The had chosen a place on the second level of the cave. The layout seemed perfect to her. There was a sizable indentation in the cave wall, which made for a good place to camp. If she needed to escape for any reason, there where multiple ways out. If she continued up the pathway to the third level of the area, she could exit out onto the short Challenge Road and down into the Training Lowlands, at the end of which was the Forest of Focus. There was a small river in the cave that ran out into the open sea, and there was the entrance that she came through. Morai was closer to the "Master Dojo" than she preferred, but she felt confident that she could keep her being there a secret. 

The Forest of Focus was lush and teeming with life, both Pokémon and plant. There were berry trees and mushrooms, and plenty of Bug and Grass-Type Pokémon to eat them. The area was mostly shady, with bits of sunlight peeking through the trees. It seemed that it would serve its name well, as Morai planned to meditate and ponder her questions there. For now, it was time to find something that she and her Pokémon could eat. After collecting as many berries as she and her Pokémon could carry, they set off back to their new temporary home. 

I wonder if Corviknight feels more at home here in Galar...A more pressing question is, how am I going to have enough resources to live off of the land for a few months? I can't just eat fruit. If I'm trying to get stronger, I need more food groups. I'm so used to cooking with electrical appliances and having all I need. I suppose this really is a lesson in simple living. 

"One...t-two...three...f-four...fi—oof! I'm so weak from that..even, not to mention the trip over here. Maybe I should give it a day or two and focus on other things. Sorry, Lucario," Morai said. Lucario nodded and continued its pushups. Morai wanted to train her combat skills along with everything else. Even though she didn't specialize in Fighting-type Pokémon, she still considered it a good skill to have. She frequently attended classes for it, but never mentioned that to anyone.

As time passed, Morai gained most of her strength back. She had been on the Isle of Armor for 3 days now, spending quite a lot of time pondering the questions that troubled her so in the Forest of Focus. She knew she couldn't spend all of her time here trying to find answers to her problems, but her biggest fear was returning to "normal" life with nothing to show that she had changed. She had been searching for these answers since she found herself in this situation, and they had haunted her every day since. 

Bzzz!

The sound of Morai's phone interrupted her thinking. She had gotten a message from who she assumed was Petrel, the contents of which were brief and to the point. 

P: It's done. Send a location and time and I'll have it dropped off. 

M: Axew's Eye in the Galar Wild Area. This evening at 7. 

P: Got it. 

M: Thanks again. 

"That's far enough from here, isn't it Espurr?" she asked. 

"Mew!" it cheerfully replied.

"I'll take that as a yes."

With 7pm fast approaching, Morai hopped onto Corviknight and headed toward the Wild Area, leaving two of her Pokémon to keep watch over and protect their camp.  When they arrived, it was just a few minutes past the allocated time, but there was no sign of anyone approaching or leaving. The package—wrapped tidily in black in red—was already waiting, with a note attached to the outside. 

M,

Like I mentioned before, I took some creative liberties when bringing your design to life to make it more practical, since I assumed that you'd be spending much of your time outdoors. You'll also find a few extra things in your package. If there's a problem with any of it, just let me know. Good luck. 

You know who 

Morai opened the package to find clothing that was very well made, just like her previous outfit. Like Petrel said, some changes had been made to her original idea, but they had made it even better. The top was fitting and wrapped around the neck at the top, while the pants were loose and allowed for free movement of the legs, with ankle straps at the bottom. A loose belt sat just above the hip on either side of the pants, crossing over to the other side. One had an empty clip at the end, and the other had places to attach Pokéballs, along with a small bag. 

As Morai wondered what the clip on one of the belts was for, she uncovered it. A mask that looked as smooth as silk lay at the bottom of the box. It seemed to be crafted out of wood, to match the nature-inspired motif of the rest of her outfit, but it was very sturdy and made to last. It looked much like the one she already had, but the Pokémon depicted wore slightly different expressions. 

Morai quickly folded everything up and rushed back to her cave home, not even checking to see if there was anything else in the box. She got back to her camp, which had been made into a homey tent constructed out of blankets hanging from the sides and across the indent in the cave wall. The trainer put everything on, which included a shawl she had forgotten about. It had a design like the back of her signature trench coat did, showing the two creatures from her mask running along the sides. The two arms of the fabric, meant to be tied in the front across the shoulders, each had an eye. 

"What do you think?" she asked her group of Pokémon. 

The Mask Maker looked at herself in the stream's reflection. She couldn't see much, but it was the closest thing to a mirror she had and she was satisfied with what she saw. Her Pokémon feigned enthusiasm at her silly interest. It meant a lot to her, though, as in her mind, she had lost her identity the day she seemingly split into two, because she had never acted the same way again. Doing her hair certain ways and wearing certain clothes was the closest thing she had to a solid identity. 

Morai picked up the new mask that had been crafted and put it on, returning to the stream once again to look at her reflection. This one didn't convey a battle between two sides as much as it did a harmony of sorts between the two creatures. She looked at her now inhuman face for some time.

Maybe I don't have to eradicate one side to find peace. I can't imagine how many times I've thought this, though. Every time I try, I only hurt. That's why I'm here in a cave.

Morai returned to the package to see what else lay at the bottom, and found two metal beads to put at the end of her braids. Her hair had gotten quite long since she hadn't bothered to cut it, but she liked it that way. The last two items remaining were one more clip and...

"Food! But how did they know I was living off of fruit? I don't care right now, I'm hungry! Rice and tofu and vegetables, this is going to be good!" she exclaimed.

The trainer moved her mask so that it sat on top of her head, and started to dig in. The warm meal was comforting, but only provided a temporary solution to her problem. 

"Whoever made this sure does—"

"Hello? Anyone there?" a strange voice called.

Morai froze and swallowed her food so she could hear better. 

"Hellooo?"

Oh, great, she thought.

She very slowly grabbed her old mask and crawled to the next level of the cave. Because they couldn't do the same, Morai put her Pokémon back in their balls, with Espurr as the exception. It rode on her back. If she could she wanted to avoid confrontation, but if the source of the voice came any further, they'd surely find her camp. 

She watched as the trainer's shadow slowly gave way to the trainer himself. He had long, blonde hair and a colorful gym outfit. 

His top hat is so tall! Wait a second, are there Pokéballs floating around it?...Is he a Psychic? 

"Why, Slowbro! It looks like Mustard was correct!" the strange trainer proclaimed. "There is a stranger on our island! And they've had dinner delivered all the way out here! I hope they tipped well, making the delivery person fly such a distance. I'll earn myself a nice spot in Mustard's favor after defeating them and their stir fry!"

Jump. Come on, you have the advantage right now. Just get a little closer, jump, and...

"Yoohoo! Where are—oh, there you are!"

The intruder used his telekinesis to stop Morai mid-air and toss her against the wall. She instinctively shielded her head and didn't delay in lunging at her opponent once she was on solid ground. He again stopped her and placed her farther away, taking her mask off and putting it in his own hands with his powers. 

He did that so easily...I'm glad he doesn't live in Unova or Alola. 

Morai stood up but didn't try to attack. She was smart enough to realize it was futile to try. Instead, she brushed herself off, trying not to worry too much about her face being seen. 

"Those powers are impressive," she complimented. 

"Of course they are! My psychic powers are very potent. Prodigious, even! And you...wait a second. Come closer...Hm, I sense something in you. You possess psychic powers too, don't you? Why didn't you use them?"

"Well...it's a little complicated," Morai replied. 

"Oh, surely it's not! You just didn't see me as competition enough, did you?"

"No, no, it's not that," The Mask Maker stammered. "It's—"

"Why else, then? Come on, show me your power! Let our abilities be tested against one another so that I may prove that mine are stronger!"

"Ok...but you'll have to stand really still for a second..."

"Hah! I like your sense of humor," the unnamed trainer said. "Now, let's begin!" 

The trainer's floating Pokéballs spun around his hat as he excitedly announced the beginning of their showdown, or whatever this was supposed to be. 

What am I supposed to do? Morai thought. Even if I were able to use my ability well, it would instantly out me as The Mask Maker! That being said, he's holding my new mask in his hand and it doesn't look like he realizes who I am. But this is a good chance to test my abilities! Oh, decisions, decisions!

Before she could think any more, Morai was picked up and dropped closer to her opponent.

Theoretically, all I would have to do is look at him, but I have to get closer to find out if it works. But regardless of how good I am at dodging, he can just levitate me from anywhere...but maybe not if he can't see me. 

She started to run back up to the third level, but was caught in the young man's telekinesis again. 

"Oi, where are you going?! You can't just run away!" he angrily shouted.

Shoot. I can't even throw something at him to disrupt him because he'll just catch it. I'm no quitter either, so I guess we'll be here for a while. 

Morai grabbed one of her Pokéballs and sent out Lucario. 

"Aura sphere!"

Slowbro stood in front of its trainer and fired its own attack in response. Morai, taking advantage of the few seconds she now had, ran up to the third level of the cave once more, grabbing her old mask and clipping it to her side. It was important to her that it remained safe in her possession. She crouched down, thinking of her next action. 

Last time he somehow knew I was coming and where I was coming from. I suppose that if I try to attack from behind, I'll have a better shot...

"Hey! Show your face, you coward! Why run away if you—OUCH!"

Morai had successfully executed her plan, or at least this part of it. She took the stranger down, the floating Pokéballs around his hat falling and rolling every which way. 

This is it. It's time to see if I can do it. I hope I can. 

Morai looked him in the eye and focused as much as she could...but nothing happened. She continued to try, and he was too shocked and confused to levitate her off of himself. 

"What...are you doing?" 

"Fiddlesticks! I'm still too weak without those stupid masks!" Morai cursed. "Oh! I—I mean..."

"Wait a second...that mask...it looks familiar..." 

The stranger had dropped Morai's new mask as he fell and it was lying several feet away from both of them. That means he could only be referring to...

"Oh, this? I—It's nothing. Just a craft project, is all. What else am I going to do, living in a cave?" Morai stammered. 

"Oh sure. Let me see that!" 

Morai let out a frustrated "No!" as the man moved her aside and placed her original mask in his hands. He took a good look at it.

"Hmm...nope! I was mistaken," he said. "I've never seen it before." 

"Wait, really? I mean, of course you haven't!" Morai corrected. "Now give it back!"

"Alright, alright! Here, take both of them. What are you, some kind of mask maker?"

Is he joking? 

"I guess you could say that. It's not something I'm heavily invested in. I mean, not enough to be known as the mask maker or anything, anyway," The Mask Maker nervously chuckled. 

"Well, they're certainly interesting! My name is Avery by the way. I'm a minor league Gym Leader. And you are?"

"Erm...you can call me A," Morai said. 

"A? That's it? Like the letter? Like the first letter of my name?" Avery asked. 

"If you didn't notice when we met, I like to keep much of my life to myself," Morai replied. 

"So I need to discover the remaining letters myself! Also, you never demonstrated your own psychic power...is it because you don't have any after all?" 

"Yup, that's it!" the trainer quickly replied. "That's it exactly. Your presence made me feel so insecure that I felt the need to lie...sorry!"

"Hmm, I'm not sure I believe you," Avery said with crossed arms, "but I'll leave that matter alone for now, Fiddlesticks."

"That's fine with m—wait a second, what did you just say?" Morai asked.

"Fiddlesticks! "A" as a name is too simple and boring, and you're the only person strange enough to use the term seriously, so it's a great identifier." 

Why can't I escape these stupid nicknames? First it was "Two Face" and now it's "Fiddlesticks?" There seems to be a trend downhill in quality for them, too...

"I'm sensing your distaste," Avery said with a smug smile. "I'm afraid your only other options are "Weird Eyes" and "Cave Martial Artist." Take your pick."

"You've got to be...sigh, just call me Fiddlesticks, I guess. I don't even care anymore," Morai said with slumped shoulders. 

"Oh, I know! I think you'll like this one! How about Mask Maker?" Avery exclaimed.

"Nope! Absolutely not!"

"Fiddlesticks it is, then!"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.9K 46 16
Hey yo I'm a big fan of storywriting and I thought I would try out writing a love story as a start ! I hope this will get tons of views ! I don't own...
20.7K 607 17
A story about a girl who moves from Kanto to the Alola region with her mum to start a new life. Everything seems normal, she even makes new friends a...
1.6K 237 113
N's son Neptune has long accepted that his own son died in tragic circumstances. So when he gets an unexpected call from a stranger in Galar, claimin...
20.8K 464 18
It's been years since Ash and Greninja went their separate ways and as time went Greninja have adapted to Kalos and human life becoming a guardian of...