Family Ties

By PiGhoem

This is the story of Raymond and Jackson viewed through a different lens. "Oh, sorry." He flushed, turning ar... More

Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6
Part 7
Part 8
Part 9
Part 10
Part 11
Part 12
Part 13
Part 14
Part 15
Part 16
Part 18
Part 19
Family Part 20
Part 21
Part 22
Part 23
Part 24
Part 25
Part 26
Part 27
Part 28
Part 29
Part 30
Part 31
Part 32
Part 33
Part 34
Part 35
Part 36
Part 37
Part 38
Part 39
Part 40
Part 41
The Inquisitor Part 42
Part 43
Part 44
Part 45
Part 46
Part 47
Part 48
Part 49
Part 50
Part 51
Part 52
Part 53
Part 54
Part 55
Part 56
Part 57
Part 58
Part 59
Part 60
Part 61
Part 62
Part 63
Part 64
Part 65
Part 66
Part 67
Part 68

First Day Part 1

359 2 0
By PiGhoem

"I can't do it." Raymond Cook looked at his father with a frown on his face. "There's no way I can."

"Come on Ray, it won't be that bad. It's only for a couple of months." Damon tried to convince him.

"He's an entitled moron who thinks that the world owes him something." he gestured toward the file laying on Damon's desk. "I've been following him for a month now and he's the first person I don't think I can work with." he shook his head.

"You're the best and it's a favor for a friend." Damon leaned forward, pushing the file toward Raymond. "It's just for a couple of months."

Raymond sighed and reached for the file again. "Do I really have to?" his heavy frown still on his face.

"You've never said no to a challenge before and I'm sure he isn't that bad." Damon pushed. "Come on Ray, you're not called the Inquisitor for nothing" he smiled.

"Well, as the Inquisitor, I should be able to kill him and get this out of the way." he said sourly, shaking his head.

Damon grinned at him. "If there is someone who can get to the bottom of this, it's you. I can't send in one of the others, they don't have the experience you have and they'd draw too much attention." He pushed.

Damon looked at Raymond. They've been working together since Raymond was in high school and he quickly became part of the family. Early on he had recognized Raymond's talents for finding things. He was attuned to his environment, hyper aware, noticing things that others didn't. His small stature, wiry frame  and innocent face made him almost invisible to others. He didn't look like a threat and was often mistaken for a college kid. And in his business, it was something he'd capitalized on. There was a very good reason why he was known as the Inquisitor. There was nothing he couldn't find and with his network of contacts, he was the most valuable employee in the company.

"I suppose next you're going to guilt me into doing this." He threw the file on Damon's desk with a grim look on his face.

"I would never do that!" he grinned Raymond. "Anyway, you've never said no to a job before. Would you leave an old man high and dry?"

"Pops, you're the worst. Old man, my ass!" he leaned back in his chair, looking at the file on Damon's desk. He really didn't want to take this job.

"It's just for a few months, and how bad can it be? Damon pushed.

"Okay," he sighed. "Only to shut you up." he grabbed the file, getting up.

"That's more like it!" He took another folder from a drawer, sliding it over to Raymond. "Everything you need is there. You start on Monday"

Leaving Damon's office, he sighed again. This was going to be one of the worst jobs he'd taken on, he thought as he left the building.

--

"I ask for one thing! Are you that dense?" Jackson Dealer shouted at the young woman standing in front of him.

"I... I'm sorry Mr Dealer." She stammered, with a stricken look. "It won't happen again."

"You're right it won't happen again! Pack your things and get the hell out of here! I never want to see you again!" he shouted, dismissing her.

How hard can it be to find a good assistant, he thought, still angry. Picking up the phone, he called HR. "Get me an assistant who isn't as dumb as the last one!" he shouted, slamming the phone in anger.

"He's done it again." Tilly sighed, knowing that Jackson was looking for the impossible. Everybody knew about his short temper and most of the staff avoided him, in case they became the next target.

While everybody swooned over him because of his good looks, he had a reputation of being a hothead and unreasonable. They had stopped counting the number of personal assistants that he had fired, because of some stupid reason.

"Is there anybody else?" she asked at the room at large, not very hopeful that anybody would take on the job.

"Well, there is this young kid who we hired who has some experience." One of her teammates offered, looking fearful. If they didn't find anybody soon, then they could be next on the chopping block.

"He would have to do." she said grimly, not very hopeful. "Call him up and give him the brief. Maybe this will buy us some time until we can find another victim."

When Raymond entered their offices, he could tell that everybody was nervous and almost in fear. He frowned once they've gone through the duties that he'd be responsible for. He knew that Jackson was an ass, but what he expected from his assistant was really ridiculous. He basically wanted a slave. Once he'd been briefed, Tilly gestured for him to follow her.

"Don't worry. As long as you do what he says, you should be fine." She pacified him with a tight smile.

Raymond almost laughed at the grim look on her face. "I take it I'm not the first assistant that he's had?" he tried to make conversation with her.

Tilly only frowned at him, not saying anything. She didn't want to scare the poor boy who was being fed to the wolves.

"It's going to be fine. You just need to survive this week. We'll find somebody else soon, then you can go back to where you were." She wasn't very hopeful. Raymond looked like he was fresh college, with his innocent face and twinkling blue eyes.

Reaching  Jackson's office, she squared her shoulders, taking a deep breath, before opening the door, ushering Raymond in.

"Mr Dealer? This is your assistant, Raymond Cook." She waited with abated breath, as Jackson frowned at her.

"What is this?!" he snapped. "I didn't ask for a high school kid!" He frowned at Raymond, not in the mood for training a teenager who probably didn't know anything other than playing video games in his mother's basement.

Tilly looked more fearful than ever. Hoping against hope that Jackson would allow Raymond to work for him.

"Em, we are still interviewing for a new assistant, so he'll only be here for a week, until we find a more suitable candidate." she held her breath, not sure how Jackson would take this. He could snap at any moment and if you were in his line of fire, then you can kiss your job goodbye.

"Do you even know how to be an assistant?" Jackson looked at the young man with his blond hair and striking blue eyes. He looked like a kid who couldn't wipe his own nose.

"Good morning Mr. Dealer." Raymond smiled at him, holding out his hand, which Jackson completely ignored. Not phased, he continued, "I'll do my best sir." he smiled at Jackson, with a slight  bow of his head.

"I suppose I'll have to make do with you." he said grimly, not expecting much. "You!" He turned his attention to Tilly, "You'd better make sure that you find me a good assistant by the end of the week!" he snapped dismissing them.

Tilly grabbed Raymond's arm and ushered him out of the office. Once the door was closed, she turned to Raymond. "Don't worry, you'll be fine." she said almost as if to assure herself. She left him at his reception his desk, with a tight smile.

Raymond looked at the brief again. How could a shit like Jackson have survived for so long if he changed his assistants almost every other week? With a sigh, he turned on his computer and started getting to work. He knew better than Jackson what was expected of him. He didn't investigate him for a whole month for nothing.

At ten, he took Jackson his coffee, with a bright smile on his face. Quietly entering the office, he set the coffee on his desk, moving back to stand waiting for him.

Looking suspiciously at him, Jackson lifted the cup, sure that he was going to fire him immediately. His eyes widened in surprise once he had taken a sip. Nobody ever got this right, he thought to himself.

"You can go now!" he snapped irritated. With a slight bow of his head, Raymond left the office, moving over to his desk.

"Get in here!" Jackson barked over the intercom at Raymond, some time later. Getting up, he took his tablet, entered the office and came to a halt in front of Jackson's desk. A cheerful smile on his face.

"Get me the latest financial reports on the projects currently in progress!" his eyes bored into Raymond, waiting for him to come up with some sort of excuse.

With a few taps on his tablet, Raymond smiled again. "I've emailed them to you"

Jackson raised his eyebrows, opening up his emails. Just as he'd said, the documents were there where he needed them. Raymond waited as he scanned through the documents, still smiling. If Jackson thought he was going to outsmart him, then he was in for a nasty surprise.

At one, Jackson came to stand in front of Raymond's desk. He immediately jumped up, waiting for Jackson to speak.

"I'm going out for lunch. I suppose you didn't make the reservations?" he frowned, waiting for some stupid excuse.

"Of course sir. I've made arrangements already at your favorite restaurant. The driver is waiting outside." he said with a slight bow of his head. Surprise was clearly visible on Jackson's face, as he looked at Raymond. Then, without a word, he strode out of the office.

This man was going to be his end, Raymond thought, getting back to his work. That's if he didn't snap and shoot Jackson in the head first.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

241K 10.1K 32
This is the rewritten (better!) version of Boys Will Be Boys DISCLAIMER: This book will contain foul language and general idiocy. I started writing t...
744K 25.1K 33
Callum Black. That was Callum's name, his identity, yet he was never called that. His family, his pack, his peers, and just about everybody else call...
2.5K 217 11
Luke decided to leave everything behind and start again somewhere else, far away from everyone he knew, far away from his old life. He thought that e...
110K 7.6K 55
Growing up in chaos isn't simple for all. Not many could cope. They would struggle and kick, but ultimately drown. However, for Dakota, that was his...