Burning Flame

By dilenu

Sequel of HEALING WOUNDS Featured on @AmbassadorsNG 26/11/21 With a blast from the past, an estranged husband... More

Author's Note
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 41 part 2
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Important Author's Note

Chapter 19

24 13 32
By dilenu

Life brings tears, smiles, and memories. the tears dry, the smiles fade, but the memories last forever.          ― Malik Faisal

"Could you please meet me at Jojo's at 5:30 pm?"

Gerald's voice and words floated in Dora's head as she sat in the moving vehicle.

Her eyes could not stop darting to the clock while she taught her students their remaining lessons.

She could not help but hurry Mide's lesson and spare only a few minutes with Ellie before she rushed off.

Her legs bobbled in anticipation as the taxi sped down the highway.

Pedestrians and cars all blurred into one picture as the taxi zoomed past. 

Her hands drummed on the handle of the door as she counted the minutes to get to her destination. 

Finally, the car slowed down as they did a right turn.

And then, an iceberg of shock slammed into her.

She gawked at the familiar cream building. Her eyes widened as she mouthed the words in bold red letters.

Her suspicion turned out to be true.

"Jojo's Fast Food!"

A name that brought back buried memories.

A name she failed to recognize when Gerald mentioned it.

She gazed with blurry eyes as a sea of images poured into her head.

"Ma'am! Ma'am!" A frantic voice broke the fog in her mind.

She turned semi-dazed eyes to the driver. "Uh... Pardon?"

"We have arrived!"

"Oh yes! Sorry." She took a quick look at the building. "Thank you!" She paid him the fare and slipped out of the car.

She released a shaky breath as she stared at the building wrapped with huge glass windows. She watched waitresses and waiters float around serving people. The patrons munched on their meals as well as engaging with their companions or pressed away on their phones and laptops.

Her shoes clicked on the marble floor as she climbed the steps. The bell above the door chimed as the door automatically split open for her to enter.

A light smile formed on her lips as she admired the new addition to the building.

Her last visit flitted in her mind.

A security officer as ancient as the building was the one to welcome her.

The familiar scent of freshly baked bread greeted her. The golden lights from the bulbs shone on her and received her. The peeling yellow paint on the wall was a comforting caress.

A nostalgic smile formed on her face as she scanned the place that was once a sanctuary for study nights, lunches, quick hangouts with friends, and fast breakfasts before classes.

But most of all, it was the place where her first date with Gerald occurred.

Her chest constricted as images of that day filled her head.

Her eyes roamed around and stilled on a figure that sat on the table in the middle of the restaurant.

The exact spot where he welcomed her with a smile many years ago. 

She swallowed a lump as she drew closer.

She was reliving it all again.

She saw her younger self strutting towards her beau.

A dashing young man welcoming her with a boyish grin.

A delicious meal refreshing her stomach

Light banter filling the silence.

Sweet music injecting the background with a romantic vibe.

But like smoke in the wind, the memory and images all floated away and she was left with the painful reality.

She was no longer young. 

A grinning young man wasn't welcoming her.

All she saw was the face of a man who caressed her with his words but burned her with his actions.

The queasiness in her stomach increased and the savory smell wafting in the air suffocated her.

The only music in the background was the chatters and laughter of the other occupants in the restaurant.

She skidded to a stop in front of the table and gripped her bag.

Gerald rose and sent her a nervous smile. He rushed to her side and pulled out a chair for her to sit.

Dora muttered a thank you and slipped into the chair. Her eyes followed him until he returned to his seat.

Their eyes connected briefly before Dora flickered her eyes away to the gold tablecloth.

Gerald cleared his throat. "Would you like to order something?"

She straightened and slowly looked at him. Discomfort climbed up her spine as his eyes bore into her.

She opened her mouth to speak when a loud female voice interrupted.

"Oh my God, look who found their way back! I thought I will never see this day."

Dora and Gerald turned to the owner of the voice and their face lit up in recognition.

An old woman with snow-white hair stood before them, grinning from ear to ear.  Her wrinkled hand clutched a walking stick.

"Mama Josie!" They exclaimed with excitement and shot up from their seats.

A gold tooth sparkled as she grinned wider.  "Come here and give me a hug." She spread out her arms.

Dora smiled and happily went into her arms. The sweet fragrance of lavender mixed with vanilla tickled her nose. A sigh of satisfaction left her lips. It felt good to be embraced by someone she considered to be her mother. 

She stiffened as Gerald drew closer; she breathed in sharply as his arm brushed her.

"How is Uncle Joe?" Gerald asked as they pulled back.

"Ahh, poor Joe went to be with the Lord five years ago." A glint of sadness clouded the woman's eyes.

"I am sorry to hear that!"

"I am sorry for your loss!" Dora muttered as her face contorted into a look of pain. She mourned a man who acted as a father figure in her life.

The woman gave a dismissive wave. "He is in a better place now." Her thin lips formed into a contented smile. "Anyway, you both better sit down and tell me what you have been up to. There better be a valid reason for not stopping by all these years." She huffed.

Dora withheld a grimace and returned to her seat. She was in no way prepared for the questions that may come up.

From the corner of her eye, she watched Gerald send the woman a charming smile but his eyes remained expressionless.

"So tell me, where did you both disappear to?" The woman placed her two hands on her walking stick and glared at them.  "I used to peer out the window every Thursday waiting for you guys to bound up the stairs hand in hand but you guys never showed up. Why is that?" Her eyes narrowed at them.

Dora's eyes remained downcast. The woman's prodding eyes scalded her and she squirmed on her seat. She felt like a little girl again who was being scolded by her mother or teacher.

"And oh my God! Imagine my shock when 26 years later you show up here like it's a normal routine!" The woman dramatically waved a hand in the air. "That is not becoming." The woman made a clucking sound and tapped her walking stick on the floor.

Dora's control was wearing off. She balled her fist and willed
Something to stall the conversation.

"Sorry, Mama Josie, life became overwhelming, that's all!" Gerald finally said from beside her.

Dora unclenched her fist and relaxed. She sent the women an apologetic smile. "Yeah, Mama Josie, circumstances made it difficult to find time to come over."

And there are too many memories attached to this place.

I was running from them all.

Dora struggled to keep her smile as those thoughts pervaded her mind.

The woman broke into a toothed smile. "It's alright! What matters is that you are here and you are still a couple. I knew you guys were made for each other." Her eyes sparkled with pleasure.

Dora stiffened and held back a snort. She glanced at Gerald and found him rubbing his jaw as he sent the woman a tight-lipped smile.

"Anyway, sit tight, your usual order is on its way." A grin appeared on the woman's face. "When I spied you from the back, I took it upon myself to order for you." A glint of pride shimmered in her eyes.

Dora's shoulders slouched and her jaw tightened.

How many more punishments will fate give her? She wondered.

Wrinkles formed on her forehead as she scowled.

Suddenly, a cough jolted her from her reverie.

A look of confusion brimmed in her eyes as they scanned around for Mama Josie.

Gerald must have read her expression because he said, "She departed to check on our order." His face morphed into a grimace. "I am sorry I couldn't stop her from ordering for us."

A sensation roiled in her stomach at the sincerity that gleamed in his eyes. 

Her lips curled into a slight smile. "It's fine," she muttered. "It's not your fault."

It's never your fault. She thought wryly.

Her head turned sideways as a presence fell on them. It was a waitress with a tray of identical plates of food.

"Here is your order, Ma'am, sir!" She sent them a smile and placed a plate in front of Dora and Gerald. "Mrs. Josie said I should inform you it's on the house."

Dora and Gerald chorused a "thank you". And with one more smile, the waitress wandered off.

Dora swallowed a lump as she stared down at the plate of steaming french fries and hamburgers.

She glanced up and their eyes connected.

And time stalled.

Their eyes told stories untold.

Dora's eyes told a story of hurt.

Gerald's eyes told a tale of pain and regret.

Dora felt a wetness form on her eyelashes and she turned away to escape the probing eyes of Gerald.

Her chest tightened and her throat clogged up. She took a steady breath to calm her racing emotions.

With a swift force, she pushed the plate away and sat up straight.

She pinned Gerald with her stare and he matched her with a soft gaze. His plate of food lay untouched in front of him.

"Why did you call me here?" 

Hopefully not only to relive painful old memories.

She stared at him with dead eyes as she waited for his response.

He shifted in his seat and cleared his throat. "I told you I have some information on Amara." He placed a palm on a black folder that lay on the table. A folder she hadn't noticed until just then.

"What information do you have?" Anticipation coursed through her and she clasped her hands tighter.

"I believe I have found her." He pushed the black folder towards her.

                           ★★★★★

Yipee! We found her! 💃
Put on your dancing shoes😂

Anyway, now that we have found her, what are your thoughts?

I am pretty glad and eager to present the next phase of the story. So stay tuned 😁

So moving on to the question of the chapter.

I believe that restaurants have been featured a lot in the story so that brings us to our question. XD.

Our Question of the chapter is: What are some things you like in a restaurant that will make you give it a star or two?

Well, for me, number one is the food. Number two is the ambiance and atmosphere. And number three is the attitude of the staff. Those are the factors I  will consider before giving a restaurant some stars. XD

I can't wait to see your answers in the comments section so don't hold back. 😁

And don't forget to 👇

Until next time, go to a nice restaurant 😂

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

39.1K 1.6K 44
(Completed) Discovering that her husband has been cheating on her, Haley Williams is single for the first time in fifteen years. Haley sets out to di...
275 42 31
Two broken hearts; lost their abilities to live, to love and to trust. What will happen when they meet? Will they gain their ablities again? Or they...
87 64 62
*Second in the Fire Whiskey series* 'I had been amazed at the connection Brad and I had, and our connection was inexplicable, but this with Rev was s...
769 67 33
A story that has been replayed through history once again comes to be told, but in a different way now. Elijah still holds love for an old flame but...