The Chaperone

By LieselRidges

Callie Summers has recently applied to the prestige arts school in California and hoping to get a scholarshi... More

Chapter 1: Callie's Job
Chapter 02: The beginning of the Tour
Chapter 03: A Chance
Chapter 04: The Radio Station
Chapter 05: Untitled
Chapter 06: Sorted
Chapter 07: From where we left off
Chapter 08: The signing session
Chapter 09: The tabloids
Chapter 10: The calm before the storm
Chapter 11: Sorry, but you are fired.
Chapter 12: The start of something new
Chapter 13: Patrick's nightmare
Chapter 14: The first time
Chapter 15: Dinner with Jasmine
Chapter 16: Los Angeles
Chapter 17: Los Angeles Pt 2
Chapter 18: Cracks
Chapter 19: A different place, a different time
Chapter 20: High School Reunion
Chapter 21: 2 years on...
Chapter 22: His new girl, her new life
Chapter 23: Lunch with Mrs Kensington
Chapter 24: Goodbye
Chapter 25: Pillar of support
Epilogue
New Year's Resolution
Spin off short: The album shoot

Chapter 26: If lost, please return to...

4.6K 303 8
By LieselRidges

Callie was late. When she returned to the hospital, Patrick was off sedation. He is awake though still in a slight daze, sitting by the window looking out to the gardens.

Callie heart aches.

"Can he eat?" Callie asked. Dr. Simone nodded. She replied her with a nod.
"May I go in?" She asked again. Dr. Simone again nodded.

Callie placed her hand on the door handle and suddenly Dr. Simone's hand was on hers.

"Take it slow. My team will watch you both from here. " she said, worried. Callie smiled to reassure her.

She pressed dow the handle fully and pushed open the door. She walked slowly towards him. He was still concentrating on the gardens outside.

"Pat?" She gently called him. He slowly turned his head around. His eyes widen. He tried to stand up from his seat but he was too weak and collapsed again into his chair.

Callie quickly went to him and gave him a hug, embracing him in her arms. Pat sniffled and tears rolled down his cheeks.

"I'm so sorry, Pat." She spoke. Patrick shooked his head. They held each other, not sure how long they were in that position. Pat cried in her arms and she just let him, her hands graze through his hair.

The room was silent besides the sound of Pat crying.

"Are you hungry?" Callie asked, when he had settled down and his tears stopped.

He nodded with a smile. Callie's heart warmed. She was so glad to see his smile.

Happily, she rolled over the hospital table over to him and adjusted it lower to the height of his seat then placed a big thermal bag on the table.

Unzipping the bag, she pulled out a few containers and opened the lids, then placed utensils in front of him.

"Are you able to feed yourself?" She asked. He smiled and nodded. He still had some energy in him to pick up the spoon.

Callie had made lunch for Patrick. For Patrick, it has been a long time since Callie cooked for him.

The mouthwatering smells of baked potatoes with japanese style deep fried pork chop, a salad, her signature chunky creamy mushroom soup and a chocolate truffle cake. All his favourite food.

Callie suddenly stood. Pat panicked and dropped his spoon and reach to grab Callie's arm. The spoon made a loud clank and caught Callie's attention.

"Don't go." He mastered his energy in his voice. Callie smiled, bend down and kissed him on his forehead.

"I'm not leaving. I just forgot to get some hot water to make you some tea to go with the cake. It will just be a little while." She explained.

He shook his head violently.

"NOOOOOOOO...." He strained his voice.

Callie was taken aback and shot a glance at the window where Dr. Simone stood by. She shook her head and mouth a 'no'. She quickly nodded and return her attention to him.

"Alright, okay. I'll stay right here." Callie picked up the spoon that dropped and wiped it with a napkin and returned it into his hand. She pulled a chair up next to him and sat down to watch him eat. After Callie said down, Pat quickly took her hand into his and held tightly. His other hand held the spoon and started eating.

Callie sighed inwardly. She could feel the extreme vulnerabilty in Patrick and patiently sat beside him while he ate and at certain times, used her free hand to pick up a fork and poking some broccoli to feed Patrick.

He tucked in heartily, in content.

She took a short moment to access the Patrick in front of her. That lofty, bad boy singer has been stripped away leaving behind this same young teenager she knew many years ago, only that was broken too, revealing his vulnerable heart for the world to see.

"Can I pour you some water, please?" She asked, pointing at the jug of water standing on the table at the other side of the room. He nodded and released her hand.

She smiled in return and planted a kiss on his cheek. She stood up and walked over to that table and brought over the jug and a plastic cup. His eyes followed her every move, never once left her.

Callie poured a cup of water and set it on the table in front of him and sat down again. He then again took her hand in his and held it closely, as if holding her hostage.

Just then a nurse came in with his medicine and a hot water jug. I smiled. Dr. Simone had arranged it.

" These are the medicine he has to take after food and here is your hot water, Miss." She said. Callie nodded and said thanks.

"Want some tea?" She asked.

Slowly, Patrick relaxed and Callie had a little freedom to move around but she did not dare to test his limits in fear of him having a panic episode again.

She poured hot water into her tumbler where she had tea bags in and let it stand to steep the tea.

She then poured some tea into his plastic cup. He took the cup and drank happily.

"Patrick, I have something to tell you." Callie started. She needed to tell him first before anything else.

Patrick paused and looked solemnly at her. His smile suddenly faded and his head bowed.

"It's good news, Pat." Callie said. He lifted his head again.

"My photo exhibition is now here in Utah." She said. His eyes widen in surprised, he smiled.
It was a good sign.

"And I want you to come see it before it opens to the public." She continued. He smiled and nodded.

"Of course I will want to!" He said, his voice slowly gaining strength. Callie smiled.

"But you need to get well faster and gain strength before I can bring you out of the hospital to see it." She threw him the bait. His wide smile lost a little sunshine but he nodded.

"Patrick, I want you to get well very soon. Can you do this for me?" Callie asked sincerely. Callie wanted him to see her works and tell him what she really wanted to say, at the exhibition gallery. She had to get him there first.

He nodded. Callie let a sign of relief and smiled. She pushed aside the table and buried herself in his arms. They both shared a tender kiss.

"Thank you." She whispered.
"I can't wait."

Patrick got better faster after that. He ate his medicine and every day Callie made him dinner and came by in the evenings to spend time with him. She brought in magazines and newspaper that featured her and videos of her interviews to show him. He became happier and gaining strength.

"Thank you." Ett came one evening to the hospital and met Callie, just as she left the ward after Pat has fallen asleep.

"No, Ett. Thank you. I finally understood what I truly want." She said, taking a glimpse of sleeping Patrick. Ett smiled.

"Come, let me take you home." He said, offering her a ride.

"How about this? Take me to the gallery. Let me show you something." Callie counter proposed. He smiled and nodded.

Ett saw the special photo section and he stood in awe.

"Your agent is a good man." He said as he saw the pictures on the wall.

He sighed. He wanted Patrick to be alive again, like those pictures on the wall. Callie knew what he was thinking and answered him.

"He will be happy again, I promised." She replied. He smiled and nodded.

"The centre photo will be changed out though. I thought that photo of us together may damage Sloan's popularity." Callie explained.

"No, no, no..." He added.
"Leave it there. The world needs to know you both are together now." He said.
"The reporters will have a hayday." He chuckled.

"Exactly. Patrick needs the privacy now more than ever." Callie said. Ett saw his point and nodded.

"His photos alone will create a stir, the centre photo won't be needed. I will be replacing it will another shot of him. This will be moved to my house when the replacement arrives." Callie said. Ett sighed.

"That's such a waste. This entire series, Pat should see it himself. This is amazing." He complimented.

"Don't worry Ett. He will." Callie replied.

Patrick made astonishing recovery.
However as he recovered, he became more possessive of Callie, often not letting Callie leave his side until he falls asleep at night.

Dr. Simone discharge him on the 8th day. Callie was busy at the gallery, only Ett came to get him.

"Where's Callie?" He frown, when she was not in sight.
"At work. Her exhibition opening is in 3 days." He replied. Calmly, he inhaled a deep breath and nodded.
"Let's go to my place." He said simply.

Callie received a text from Ett about Patrick's discharge. She read and re-read the message and smiled.

All the setup is done, the staff were briefed and prepped. Even Bernard made it down upon Callie's request to handle her exhibition.

"I'm proud of you, babe. You have finally came to your senses." He gave a peck on my forehead. She smiled.

"Thank you." Callie replied.
"You are most welcome." He waved his hand and walked on, barking orders to the rest of the gallery staff.

Callie went to pick Patrick from Ett's.
"Cal..." He went to her and took her into his arms for a huge bear hug.
"I miss you so much..." He whispered, only for her to hear.

"Okay, let's go!" Callie said. She held Patrick's hand and led him towards the door. They rhen waved goodbye to Ett.

A car was waiting at the driveway of Ett's apartment block. Bernard had kindly offered to fetch them to the gallery.

"This is Bernard, he's my agent slash manager slash noisy dad." Callie introduced when Patrick and her were in the car.

Bernard laughed heartily.
"Well, kiddo," he emphasized playfully.
"Shall we get going then?" He asked.

"Yes please." Callie replied, then flash a smile at Patrick.

Patrick was slightly tensed when he saw Bernard in the car. Partly because Bernard was not really old enough to be Callie's father, but also because Callie was so relaxed with him and he hated that.

Why can't she be as relaxed as she is now when she is with me?

Patrick frowned and he swallowed his jealousy and misery.

The car pulled at the driveway of the gallery and they both stepped out.

"Go get them!" Bernard cheered for Callie. She smiled and glanced at Patrick. She saw Patrick frowned at Bernard.

Oh no. Not that.

While Patrick is getting better, Dr. Simone had warned Callie and told her to watch for signs.
"Any miniscule event can trigger his depression." She said.
"Even his current possessiveness towards you counts for his discomfort." She recalled Dr. Simone's warning.

Callie gulped and her hand held tighter to his.
"Welcome." She said as he led Patrick to the gallery hall.

Patrick released her hand and started examining at her works. Slowly, he walked through the hall filled with landscape photos then next to another hall. A huge black and white photo at the end of the corridor caught his attention. He quicken his pace towards it.

It was a photo of Callie and himself looking lovingly into each other's eyes. Patrick smiled. He remembered when exactly the photo was taken. Then his eyes were drawn to the surrounding photos. All photos of himself.

The end of the corridor opened up into a semicircle room and the room was filled with his photos.

There were photos of him and his band mates, some of which she took of him when they were both alone.

"I want to see you smile again." Callie said as she slide her hands around his waist.

"The carefree, happy Patrick in those photos." She pointed at the canvas then return her focus on him.

Patrick heart ached. He wanted to be like that too but he felt that he could only be like this was when Callie was with him. Yet he lost her. She had decided to drop Utah and move to France.

Tears pooled on his eyes and rolled down his cheeks.

I can't.
Patrick has already resigned his fate of losing Callie.

Callie held his face in her palm and slowly wiped away his tears with her thumb.

"You can be happy again." Callie replied as if she heard his thoughts. Patrick raised his eyebrows in surprise.

Callie smiled.

"All you need to remember is," she said, while pulling out a familiar tiffany green box out from her pocket.

"When you feel lost, come back to me." She finished her sentence, and opened the box.

Patrick left this Tiffany box at her doorstep with her orange scarf he loved so much.
He had left a note inside the box, and before today; he never got an answer from her. He thought all was lost to him now.

Callie remebered clearly that day when she saw the box at her doorstep and how her heart collapsed when she saw what was inside the box.

The little pendant similar to the one he gave years ago to Callie but it says:
"If lost, please return to Callie Summers."

When she read the note that comes with it, she clutched her own pendant on her chest and cried.

Dear Callie,
I love you very much.
May I return myself to you?

Lost forever,
Patrick.

Callie had indeed hesitated. She wanted some time to think over.

Can she herself return to Patrick too?
There were many 'ifs' and 'what ifs' in her mind.

However, when she saw that photo she loved so much, she knew immediately.

Screw both their past. Forget what happened with their parents. That relationship was not hers and Patrick's to be bothered and uphold.

She has her career and he has his. There were no longer any obstacles and problems.

Maybe that girl she saw on the gossip pages. No, Patrick already explained to her and she knew that was the truth.

Bernard saw that. He knew her heart never left Patrick. She was just too clouded with all those unnecessary problems that were not problems at the beginning.

The only question was:
Does she want him?

Callie knew the answer in her heart, loud and clear.

She wanted him.
She loved him very much.

And that was all that matters.

Now standing in front of him, she has to reply him the question he had asked previously.

And she replied it with a question.
"I hope this is not too late but, " she paused to clear her throat.

"May I be returned to you too?"

Patrick's emotions were all well up and he felt a lump in his throat. He took a step forward and took Callie into his arms.
That moment he felt relaxed and pour his heart out in tears and cried.

"I thought I lost you." He mumbled among his sobs.

Callie put her hands around him and stroke his back gently to soothe him.

"I thought I lost you too when I saw you at the hospital." Callie replied, and could not help but teared a little.

They held each other until Patrick calmed down. They continue to hug each other tightly in the silence.

Callie withdrew from his embrace and took a good look at the puffy red eye Patrick. She smiled and held up the necklace.

"May I help you wear this?" She asked. He chuckled and nodded.

Patrick bend slightly forward so that Callie could reach the back of his neck to clasp the chain together.

"I'm not going to take this off, ever." He smiled, then quickly embraced Callie again.

"And I'm never going to let you go anywhere away from me again!" He declared.

"Oh no." Callie replied. Patrick frown.
"What?" He replied, regained his possessiveness.

"Well, I still have my photo exhibit world tour. I will need to go away from you." Callie teased.

"Okay, in that case, I'm coming." He said as-a-matter-of-factly. Callie laughed and slap his forearm.

Patrick's depression seemed to disappeared like a cloud of smoke.

Callie told Patrick to take the photo down and replaced by another of himself in stage as the focal point.

"Why not this one?" He said as he held their photo in his hand.

"Your fans will kill me." She replied and Patrick laughed heartily.

"However I do know where to hang this." She added.

They placed the photo at the back of a van Bernard has rented and left the gallery with it.

Patrick was surprised as they arrived at the pavillion and not his or Callie's home.

"How did you know--" Patrick was again surprised and what even more surprised was that he had the remote for the gates.

"I knew you bought a piece of land here right beside the pavillion and when the school is moving away, you bought that land as well." She said, taking his hand in hers while he carried the portrait in his other hand.

"Let's place it... here." She said, as she unlocked the glass doors of the pavillion and revealed the easel stand in the middle.

He stepped in and placed the photo on the easel and looked around. The pavillion was dust free as if someone has recently cleaned it and it was also decorated with some antique furniture and empire chairs brought over from Callie's house.

"Let's sell our current houses and build our very own home on this piece of land instead. What do you think of this idea?" Callie asked. He smiled and nodded. That was what he wanted too.

The only place that was truly theirs, the pavillion, where they first met. No inherited properties, no unpleasant memories.

He hugged Callie tightly.
He felt at home at last.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Hope you dont skip this section...

A/n:
and thats a wrap!!
Well, i have an epilogue coming...
First story coming to an end and the first epic long chapter!!!
I realised I really need to lengthen my chapters.
Oh well...

Anyway, I wanna shoutout to these readers!
Thank you for your stars and votes!
Most of you voted for me in every chapter!!
Your votes really made my day!!

I only manage to catch ur ID in my notification panel so I apologise if I missed some.

*muacks*muacks*muacks*muack*muacks*

AnaGonzalezHernandez
Annie12
pampauline
StylesRecluse
Mocodegorila
Sierrakristnee
Nenetalaro9
GirlDeath
Melve1310
Chanand98
xXrandrom

Epilogue coming, would be a short one and thank you again for being with me on this writing journey. It has been a wonderful experience.

Do read my other story "My fate is you". I will be continuing on that story once this is completed.

Thank you!
Liesel.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

298K 6.3K 52
Ethan Lane was your typical player. He was smooth, handsome, manly, successful and a total chick magnet. Women loved him and men wanted to be him. He...
2.7K 532 24
"This prom is not my cup of tea. I would rather be on my roof watching stars." When you are the head of your school's cheer-leading team, going to s...
3.9M 179K 64
Cal Jackson's new life as a rockstar fails to account for one thing: the existence of the girl he loves. ***** "What are you thinking about?" she ask...
866K 31K 52
{Romance Series} Book One! |An Unexpected Romance| Maddie and her girls are off on holiday, spending four weeks of uninterrupted bliss in the Califor...