Chapter 26: If lost, please return to...

Callie was late. When she returned to the hospital, Patrick was off sedation. He is awake though still in a slight daze, sitting by the window looking out to the gardens.

Callie heart aches.

"Can he eat?" Callie asked. Dr. Simone nodded. She replied her with a nod.
"May I go in?" She asked again. Dr. Simone again nodded.

Callie placed her hand on the door handle and suddenly Dr. Simone's hand was on hers.

"Take it slow. My team will watch you both from here. " she said, worried. Callie smiled to reassure her.

She pressed dow the handle fully and pushed open the door. She walked slowly towards him. He was still concentrating on the gardens outside.

"Pat?" She gently called him. He slowly turned his head around. His eyes widen. He tried to stand up from his seat but he was too weak and collapsed again into his chair.

Callie quickly went to him and gave him a hug, embracing him in her arms. Pat sniffled and tears rolled down his cheeks.

"I'm so sorry, Pat." She spoke. Patrick shooked his head. They held each other, not sure how long they were in that position. Pat cried in her arms and she just let him, her hands graze through his hair.

The room was silent besides the sound of Pat crying.

"Are you hungry?" Callie asked, when he had settled down and his tears stopped.

He nodded with a smile. Callie's heart warmed. She was so glad to see his smile.

Happily, she rolled over the hospital table over to him and adjusted it lower to the height of his seat then placed a big thermal bag on the table.

Unzipping the bag, she pulled out a few containers and opened the lids, then placed utensils in front of him.

"Are you able to feed yourself?" She asked. He smiled and nodded. He still had some energy in him to pick up the spoon.

Callie had made lunch for Patrick. For Patrick, it has been a long time since Callie cooked for him.

The mouthwatering smells of baked potatoes with japanese style deep fried pork chop, a salad, her signature chunky creamy mushroom soup and a chocolate truffle cake. All his favourite food.

Callie suddenly stood. Pat panicked and dropped his spoon and reach to grab Callie's arm. The spoon made a loud clank and caught Callie's attention.

"Don't go." He mastered his energy in his voice. Callie smiled, bend down and kissed him on his forehead.

"I'm not leaving. I just forgot to get some hot water to make you some tea to go with the cake. It will just be a little while." She explained.

He shook his head violently.

"NOOOOOOOO...." He strained his voice.

Callie was taken aback and shot a glance at the window where Dr. Simone stood by. She shook her head and mouth a 'no'. She quickly nodded and return her attention to him.

"Alright, okay. I'll stay right here." Callie picked up the spoon that dropped and wiped it with a napkin and returned it into his hand. She pulled a chair up next to him and sat down to watch him eat. After Callie said down, Pat quickly took her hand into his and held tightly. His other hand held the spoon and started eating.

Callie sighed inwardly. She could feel the extreme vulnerabilty in Patrick and patiently sat beside him while he ate and at certain times, used her free hand to pick up a fork and poking some broccoli to feed Patrick.