Chapter 23: Lunch with Mrs Kensington

Mrs Kensington knocked on Callie's door. She made some simple dishes to have lunch with Callie. She knew Callie has not stepped out from her house so she quickly took that chance.

Callie opened the door and surprised to see a smiling Mrs Kensington holding up a huge picnic basket.

"I brought lunch!" She said as she stepped into Callie's place before she could react.

Callie was packing items into boxes from the living room. The house was in a mess.

"You are packing up?" Mrs Kensington was taken aback.

"Yes, Mrs Kensington. I am moving to France." Callie replied.

"I see." She replied, amused. She nodded.

"Come, I know you have not had breakfast." She said suddenly. I followed her into the kitchen.

The kitchen was filled with a thin layer of dust and she took a cloth out from her basket and wet it with some water to clean the dining table and chairs like she had expected to.

Callie stood in awe Mrs Kensington's action and the amount of prepareness she had took into consideration.

She then lay a tablecloth over the table and gestured Callie over to sit.

"I made a chicken stew." She said, while laying out the cutlery she brought along and started scooping the stew into a bowl.

"Thank you." Callie gratefully accepted a bowl of stew and sat down.

"Callie, you know I had came with an agenda when I knocked on your door." She started getting into the conversation quickly.

"Yes, I realised that." Callie replied, putting a spoonful of stew into her mouth. It was heavenly.

"Have you spoken to Patrick yet?" She cut to the chase. Callie stopped eating.

"No." She whispered.

"Callie, talk to him. Please." She pleaded. Callie stared at her. Her curiosity got the upper hand.

"Why do you care?" She blurted. Mrs Kensington smiled knowingly.

"Because I know that you are still in love with him." She replied. Callie's eyes widen.

"And Ettoire is my nephew. That makes me Patrick's grand aunt." She added.

Callie thanked Mrs Kensington for the lunch and continued her cleaning routine. The eveni g came quickly and she had microwaved the last of the leftover chicken stew for dinner.

Thinking back what Mrs. Kensington said, she could not help but think of the unread watsapp messages in her mobile phone.

"Look below the surface, Callie. Many things were not what they seem to be." Mrs Kensington's words echoed over and over again in her mind.

Powering up the mobile phone, Patrick's name flashed again.

540 unread messages. She inhaled deeply then tapped open the conversation screen. A long line of messages.

She scrolled up and started reading.

Callie...
11 July 2012 23:12hrs

That same night when I saw her coming out from his room.

Callie... where are you?
12 July 2012 00:30hrs

Callie, can you please pick up your phone? Your voice message box is full.
21 July 2012 13:34hrs

Please Callie, please talk to me...
21 July 2012 13:36hrs

Callie, I need you. Please...
21 July 2012 13:45hrs

I left for Paris then.

My dear Callie...
I know I should offer my congratulations on your scholarship from the college in France.
But why do I feel so miserable?
23 July 2012 16:07hrs

My dear Callie...
I know you are busy with school and learning French. I know you'll do well in every aspect. You always have.
30 July 2012 00:30hrs

My dear Callie...
Will you give me a chance to talk to you again?
I miss you very much.
09 Aug 2012 00:34hrs

My dear Callie...
I miss you very much.
I will wait for you to give me a chance again.
16 Aug 2012 00:35hrs

My dear Callie...
My sunshine...
The skies have been grey every day since you left.
20 Aug 2012 01:03hrs

My dear Callie...
21 Aug 2012 02:14hrs

My dear Callie, how are you doing in school?
I think you are having a swell time.
Talk to me soon please?
I missed you every day.
24 October 2012 00:35hrs

He sent a picture of my scarf neatly folded on the bed.

My dear Callie,
How are you today?
ET secretly took your scarf to laundry yesterday.
Your scarve now no longer smells of you but detergent. :(
30 October 2012 23:28hrs

My dear Callie,
New album concert is tonight.
I wished you were here to hear me sing.
20 November 2012 03:23hrs

A video accompanied that message. Callie tapped the video and it played. It was a clip of the concert.

"And as I look into your eyes
I see an angel in disguise
Sent from God above for me to love
To hold and idolize
And as I hold your body near
I see these month through to a year
And then forever on till life is gone
I keep your loving near
And now I finally find my way to lead me down this lonely road
All I have to do is follow you, to lighten my load..."

He sang a cover of one of Callie's favourite song.

She stared at the video as the video continued to play.

"And though the seasons change
our love remains the same...
You faced the thunder when my sunshine turns to rain..."

Callie stared at his face. No doubt the video was capturing the big led screen on stage but that screen provided a good close up.

He lost weight, had a short stubble and his eyes sunk. Callie felt her heart in heavy knots. It hurts.

The video ended then she went to read the next message.

My dear Callie,
It has been awhile since I last sent you a message and yet I know you may never see all these messages. I'll keep sending them anyway. It is a way of keeping myself sane and my anger in check. I know you are currently doing well in France. Strive on, my dear, and have a wonderful time.
I love you.
01 December 2012 00:30hrs

Callie continued to scroll down the messages and reading his messages depicting his days recording new songs and new projects. How he would usually tell me when we were in school together.

She stopped scrolling at a photo.
It was snowing and his neck dorned a familiar coloured scarf and in his hand a gift wrapped box.

My dear Callie,
Merry Christmas baby!
I got you a gift but I don't know how to send it to you. I miss you so much.
24 December 2012 03:45hrs

Her tears fell. Why didn't she gave him a chance to explain?

She could no longer handle the emotions. She stopped reading the messages and exited the app.

- - - - - - - -

Patrick flipped out her phone and was routinely trying to send Callie a message.
His eyes geared towards the two grey ticks at the end of each message.

She has read them.

-------------------------------

A/N:
Thank you silent readers for your support.
I would love if you can give me more hearts and comments on my story.

Also do check out my other story
"My fate is you"

Thank you!
Liesel.