The Tiger King (Chaelisa)

By Dreamofshadows

Fight for glory. Fight for honour. Fight for Love. Flirting expert Lisa is a competitive boxer and reluctant... More

Author's Note
Of Monsters and Men
1| In the Ring
2| Drinks
3| Morning-Afters
4| Bagels
5| Welcome to the Vault
6| Sisters
7| Memories
8| Before
9| Maybe
10| Stiff
11| Chat
12| Fall
13| Disapprove
14| Proxy
15| Plan
16| Decision
17| Upset
18| Neighbour
19| Meet
20| Frustration
21| Almost
22|Stuck
23| Do-over
24| Getting to know you
25| Girl Talk
26| Irene
27| Visitors
28| Progress
29| Monday
30| Still Me
31| Test
32| Fight
33| Proposal
34| Rosé's Meeting
35| Change
36| White Lie
37| Confessions: Part 1
37| Confessions: Part 2
38| Understanding
39| The First Match
40| Late Night Call
41| Bao Bao
42| Ringmaster
43| Mischief and Mayhem: Part 1
44| Mischief and Mayhem: Part 2
45| The Case of the Two Jinyoungs
46| Preparation
47| Party People
48| Monster
Interlude: No Saints, All Sinners
49| Angels
50| Fallout
51| Beneath the Tree
52| Of McDonald's, Movies and Makeouts
53| Waking Up
54| Jjimjilbang Day
55| Conversations
56| Outing
57| Outing Pt. 2
58| Sunlight & Cuddles
59| Curiosity Killed the Cat...
60| ...But Satisfaction Brought It Back
62| Phone Calls
63| Beavers and Penguins
64| Omens
65| Trouble in Paradise
66| Pizza Time
67| Freefall
68| Last Girl Standing
69| Spiralling
70| Lost
71| Gone
72| Jennie's Story
73| Playing with Fire
74| The Sins of Our Mothers
75| The Forest of Fear
76| Enemy Of My Enemy
77| A New Deal
:P
78| And They Were Roommates
79| The Gangnam Gambit
80| No Time To Die
81| The Secrets of Our Fathers
82| Die Another Day
83| The Darkest Hour
84| You Only Live Twice
85| You and Me
:P (pt.2)
86| Tell Me (No) Lies
87| Tell Me (No) Lies Pt.2
:P (pt.3)
88| Old Friends, New Faces
89| Son of the Tiger
90| Negotiations
91| Visits

61| Lights Out, Dahyun

897 45 114
By Dreamofshadows

previously: rosie met jackson, jennie talked with momo, dahyun found jackson, jisoo didn't like the vibes  with jinyoung and yang so she left.

Momo had just finished explaining about Tiger King leaving Jennie reeling, torn between disgust and panic, when her phone rang.

"Jisoo? You okay?" Jennie asked, meeting Momo's gaze.

"I'm fine. I'm in the bathroom at the moment, needed to get away from the table for a sec. Some friend of Jinyoung's came over and suddenly it was suffocating." Jisoo blew a breath. "I'll fake having cramps or something. I'll be back soon, Jendeuk."

"Okay, see you Chu," Jennie said automatically. She raised her eyebrows when she cut the call and caught Momo smirking at her. "What?"

"Jendeuk? Chu?" Momo tittered.

"Don't even try," Jennie warned but a small smile made its way to her mouth. "Well, are you coming to meet her or what?"

Momo's mouth fell open as Jennie shrugged. 

"Where is Jennie Kim and what have you done with her?" Momo demanded.

"Maybe you're not the only one who's gone through changes," Jennie said and got out of Momo's car.

>

"Jennie!" Jisoo said brightly as she climbed into her SUV. Without giving Jennie a chance to speak or greet her, she cupped her face and kissed her full on the mouth, releasing her with a sigh. "I missed you. Did you read anything? You'll have to tell me all about it and god, I can't wait for you to take this dress off me and—"

Jisoo stiffened when someone from the backseat cleared their throat. Jennie rolled her eyes when the woman spoke.

"Well, shut the door and screw me naked, Nini really came over to our side." 

In the gloom, Jisoo couldn't make out her features but the woman sounded like she was smirking. Before she could launch herself at the stranger and yell for Jennie to run, Jisoo felt Jennie's reassuring pat on her arm.

"Don't worry, she's not a car robber," Jennie said, reading her intentions. "It's just a stray I picked up."

"Hey!"

"What's going on?" Jisoo frowned.

"Jisoo, this is Momo. Lisa's friend, remember?"

Momo the Japanese boxer and CEO. The serial womaniser and playgirl. The one who broke Dahyun's heart. The one who hurt Lisa and insulted Jennie.

"And what is she doing in my car? With my girlfriend?" Jisoo said in a hard voice, trying to keep calm.

"I see my reputation precedes me," Momo said easily, "I would show my face to greet you properly but I don't want to draw attention by using the phone light. I promise, I'm not after Jennie, she's the last girl I'd get involved with. I'm here for Mr Smug Snake."

"Jinyoung?" Jisoo said, dumbfounded. 

"It's best if we move," Jennie put in softly, patting Jisoo's arm again. "I'll explain along the way."

"Jen, I got my car still parked back there," Momo said.

"We just need to get out of Rkive's immediate vicinity, for now. We can park somewhere else and talk," Jennie said and nodded at Jisoo. Once they had found a suitable parking spot out of sight of Rkive, they all collectively exhaled and tension in the car lifted.

"Alright, so I'm guessing you didn't spend your time reading then?" Jisoo said cautiously.

Jennie bit her lip. "No, I wanted to take a closer look..." Quickly, she relayed what she had seen, finishing off with her meeting with Momo.

"A disappearing door? An underground bunker thing?" Jisoo said in awe. "Wow, that's straight out of a movie! I wish I'd been there! Though I don't appreciate you nearly strangling Jennie," she added grimly.

"For the last time, I wasn't strangling her! I just grabbed her and okay, I could have been more careful but I needed to take her away before she blew her cover," Momo insisted.

"Okay, and why are you here then? What did Jinyoung do to you?"

"Jinyoung screwed her over and she lost her clan's favour as a result so she got cut off and dropped like a stone," Jennie said, "she had been investigating him before...but got too close."

"Damn right," Momo said darkly. "And why am I here at Rkive specifically? It's because of Dahyun."

"What?" Jisoo burst out. "He's kidnapped Dahyun? Oh my—"

"Excitable type, aren't you?" Momo drawled. "And no, he didn't kidnap her, she's just working there because she's investigating him. I'm just...trying to make sure she doesn't get in trouble." 

Seeing Jisoo on the point of busting with questions, Jennie took the opportunity to explain.

"Momo and I have decided to let bygones be bygones. We're going to...talk together more if we find something suspicious or gives us reason to be concerned."

"Can we trust her?" Jisoo said doubtfully.

"Good question. You know, you're lucky she doesn't have a thermos in here right now," Jennie told Momo, "you'd be drenched." To Jisoo's delight, she sounded like she was tempted.

"I'll have you know I drenched Jinyoung," Jisoo added, elated when she felt Jennie squeeze her hand and nod approvingly. 

"Really? Must have been a sight. You're quite something," Momo said, sounding grudgingly impressed. "And hey, I know I've been a jerk, but come on Jen, I told you about Tiger King, I thought we reached a mutual agreement. I can even fix things with Lisa if you want."

"I'm not sure if that's wise. Are you going to start hanging out at the Vault again? We're barely there these days, to be honest," Jennie said doubtfully.

"Lisa isn't at the Vault?" Momo sounded puzzled. "Then where she at? I thought she exclusively lived there."

"Like I said before, maybe you're not the only who'e been through changes," Jennie said evasively. Momo didn't let go so easily.

"No freaking way," she said slowly. "Don't tell me...she got a girl hasn't she? Tornado has got a freaking girlfriend at long last? Did they get down and dirty? Do you have the receipts? Man I've missed so much!"

"It's not my business to tell," Jennie said firmly.

"They totally have! That's why she's never at the Vault! She's got herself locked up in some BDSM dungeon with some sex-crazed cougar, girl gone and threw herself in at the deep end! I can't believe this," Momo crowed triumphantly. "That little baby virgin ain't a baby virgin no more, jeez christ, I never thought I'd see this day! Good for her. What about that spoiled brat Somi?"

"Hey," Jisoo said sharply. "She's not a spoiled brat."

Momo paused then mellowed down from her initial outburst. "Sorry," she muttered.

Before silence engulfed them, Jennie spoke up. "Well, I don't know if we can go back to just talking to each other all together like before but...maybe I can tell Lisa you're good now. She...she really did miss you."

"Yeah yeah I screwed up. Just...tell her I'm sorry I guess and I'm not gunning to hurt her, or you...or anyone."

Jisoo listened in silence. She didn't know the woman, but she knew enough that she flip-flopped brazenly between one promise and the next. Yet, something about the Momo she heard about and the Momo sitting in her car was different, a discrepancy that made her wonder what had happened to change her.

"Well, we'll see. It's not like we need to keep in too much close contact anyway, except for sharing information I suppose," Jennie mused. She nodded at Jisoo. "Did you find anything?"

Jisoo was dying to ask about this Tiger King that both Jennie and Momo seemed to now, but she resolved to ask later when they were alone.

"Well, nothing that has anything to do with Lisa and the Bear, or that's any interesting, if you don't count his childhood sob story and daddy issues. Seems like his father favoured his brother over him so now, he's made it his mission to excel. And he kept mentioning you, Jen," Jisoo added.

"Me?"

"Yeah, something about you relating to him. He seems to think you...are similar in some way."

"Yeah no," Jennie said decisively and shuddered. "I'd rather be similar to Momo than him."

"The bar's really that low, huh?" Momo commented.

"On the ground," Jennie agreed. Jisoo looked at Momo then at Jennie, then back at Momo.

"If you're wondering how come we're slagging each other so easily like this after not talking for a while, that's because you're largely the reason Nini here has gone soft in the head," Momo said shrewdly. She pushed the door of the SUV open. "Anyway, good talk I s'pose. Let me know if ya hear anything."

"You as well, check on Dahyun. Don't wait till it's too late," Jennie called. Her gaze was thoughtful as she watched Momo slink away in the dark before she threaded her fingers together with Jisoo's and turned to her. "Hey," she said quietly.

"Hi," Jisoo said, equally softly. Now that they were finally alone, it felt like a proper greeting. 

Jennie took a deep breath. "I'm sorry if I startled you. It was unexpected and I just was going crazy in here doing nothing, and then I met her and she told me a bunch of crazy stuff and...it's been eventful. Did you have a good time in there at least?"

"The food was okay. It would have been nicer if it was just you and me." Jisoo suddenly perked up. "Oh, I forgot to mention! Remember Jinyoung's friend I mentioned joined us at the table? He seemed to be a shady type, I'm talking like mafia. I bet he was the guy you saw in the parking lot! He was big and bulky, like you described. But...there was no blonde woman with him."

"Oh? Did he say who he was?"

"Jinyoung introduced him as Mr Yang. He had this scar on one side of his face, rather gruesome to look at. He doesn't seem fazed by it at all."

"Yang," Jennie said thoughtfully. "I don't know any men called Yang. But...hang on! One time, at the Slammer, Jinyoung did have a guy with him, he had a scar down his face too. Maybe it's the same guy....but I don't know him."

"I doubt he'd be someone that ran in your circles," Jisoo said as she reversed out of the parking and took to the road. "Let's go home, jagi."

Her jaw tightened when Jennie rested her hand on her thigh, and swallowed dryly when Jennie's hand inched higher underneath the hem of her dress. Arousal flooded her system, making Jisoo clench the steering wheel tightly.

"Do you want me to crash, Jennie?" she choked out, not daring to glance at her girlfriend, who she could see was smirking out of the corner of her eye. She knew full well that those dark eyes would be brimming with desire. One look was all it would take for Jisoo to completely lose it, park on the side of the road, pin Jennie up against the window and devour her.

"I'm sorry. I'll behave," Jennie pouted, withdrawing her hand. "I just thought someone was eager to get the fun started is all..."

Jisoo groaned but smiled to hear Jennie's giggles.

"I suggest stepping on the gas," Jennie teased before settling back in her seat and winding down the window to enjoy the cool breeze that wafted in.

>

Sated after a brief but passionate interlude where their bodies and hands and mouths spoke in lieu of words, they lay entangled, stealing drowsy kisses now and then.

"I need to go to the pet store tomorrow to buy Dalgom's food," Jisoo remembered suddenly, "and I'm getting the itch to buy a new plushie but I don't know what yet, I did see that new League merch line, maybe you could come along and we'd get you your first official plushy..."

She paused when she heard Jennie's giggles, heart warming at the sound.

"What?" Jisoo said, smiling.

"We just had some amazing, mind-blowing sex and you're thinking about dog food and plush toys?" Jennie chuckled. "It's like we're some old couple already. Next thing you now, you'll be doing the grocery list in your head whilst I'm going down on you."

"I apologise for my unsexy thoughts," Jisoo smirked. "But speaking of groceries, I do think we're out of eggs. How will I be able to whip you your favourite pancake for breakfast?"

"I can always eat yogurt. Or I an run to the corner shop and get energy drinks if you're really out of everything."

"Jendeuk, you need proper nutritious food to start the day, if there's anything yoga has taught me, it's the importance of eating a good breafast and starting your day right!"

"Fine, we can get bagels then. Love me some bacon, it's been a while now." Jennie licked her lips but Jisoo shook her head.

"With all due respect, that's a coronary artery on a plate."

"McDonald's and all the other fast food places would go bust if everyone was counting calories like you and Rosé."

"That's the idea, they're all just evil corporate soul-sucking machines anyway."

"They've got Happy Meals."

"They start indoctrination young."

"It's an uphill battle, Chu."

"Well then, maybe I'll enlist the help of our friend Super Gay Lisa, I'm sure she'd be more than willing to join the fight against evil junk food corporations."

"She's a die-hard bagel-arian and she does love her Happy Meals. They got a toy, you know."

"Don't worry, give Rosé some more time to convert her, soon she'll be preaching the wonders of tofu."

She loved to hear Jennie's giggles, always inching closer to having her laugh outright. 

"Sorry for nagging, guess that's a little too unsexy of me," Jisoo grinned.

"You don't have to apologise. I didn't say that I mind." Jennie sidled closer and pecked her on the lips. "Don't you ever change, Kim Jisoo. You're perfect, just the way you are."

Jisoo wanted nothing more than to drift off to sleep with Jennie's words branded in her mind, but she had questions that needed answers.

"Jen, who's Tiger King?" Jisoo asked, propping herself up as she combed Jennie's hair. 

Jennie sighed, all good humour instantly vanishing. "A myth but according to Momo, Jinyoung seems to be a dedicated believer."

"What did she say?" She could sense Jennie's reluctance to talk, how she paused to choose her words carefully.

"It's all speculation that she and Dahyun did. Tiger King was apparently a sort of super assassin for hire for the mega rich a few years back, to kill off rivals and competition. Usually politicians were untouched. And you couldn't just kill your next door neighbour, it didn't work like that..."

"Does it have to do with you and Lisa?" Jisoo asked quietly, feeling Jennie stiffen beneath her touch for an instant before her shoulders sagged.

"Why do you ask?"

"Intuition?" Jisoo shrugged. More silence before she heard Jennie exhale.

"I was hoping you wouldn't ask," Jennie said softly, "because I don't want to lie to you."

Jisoo bent her head to kiss Jennie's temple. "Is it that hard to say what you guys are involved in?" she asked, equally soft. "I promise, I won't judge."

"I know..." Jennie didn't speak for a minute before she snuggled closer to Jisoo and buried her face in the crook of her neck. Jisoo held her.

"In the past, before I met Lisa," Jennie began, her words caressing Jisoo's ear in the dark, "I don't really know much of what she has gone through but I know she had it rough. The things she's seen, not even you and I can imagine. Sometimes, she'd get night terrors and it was terrifying, seeing her claw at her arms and face and body, fighting whatever she was seeing so furiously, so savagely.

"Hwangssabu would practically have to wrestle with her to wake her up, she was so far gone. And then to be able to process whatever it was she dreamed about, he'd make her go punch the punching bag for hours. I'm talking literal hours of non-stop punching, just thumping away at it. I'd lie in my sleeping bag just listening to the echoes in the Vault and try to block out the sounds but it didn't work. Hwangssabu often stayed up to be with her too, watch over her, he said. And sometimes I watched over her in his place, especially if he had work to get to.

"After all the punching, then she'd be fine, for the most part. Hwangssabu said it would tire her out because she had too much pent up energy which manifested in those dreams, think like stress dreams."

"Jen, it sounds more like PTSD nightmares to me," Jisoo frowned. "She needed to see a therapist."

"Even if she did need a therapist, did you think we could even afford one?" Jennie said quietly. Jisoo bit her lip and Jennie continued.

"Call it what you want, but at least making her punch stuff till she was all worn out worked. It's when Hwangssabu had the idea of putting Lisa on a strict regimen of exercise and boxing that the dreams gradually faded away and she hasn't had them for the longest time now. It helped her a lot, helped settle her moods and outbursts. Anyway, back then, it haunted her, whatever she's been through. I could see it in her eyes."

"Did...did she ever say what it was?"

"Not much. All I know is that her parents died in front of her. And Hwangssabu picked her from the streets. So I'm sure it's been rough."

"What?"

"Yeah," Jennie said heavily, "she's from Thailand, an orphan, all alone. So...you tell me how she ended up in the streets of Seoul."

"Jennie..." Jisoo's mind spun with conspiracies and theories, some more horrific than what she could bear.

"Chu, promise me you won't tell anyone about this," Jennie pleaded.

"Of course I promise. But I don't understand something. You had mentioned...I thought there were people after you and Lisa. And what about this Tiger King then?"

"Remember the part where I said I don't know what exactly happened in Lisa's past? In between being born in Thailand, her parents dying and Hwangssabu finding her wandering around, your guess is good as mine. But even Hwangssabu had reasonable suspicion that someone was keen to get Lisa back. And I know you're going to say paranoia, but it's not. I can't prove it but...trust me when I tell you that we know. As for Tiger King...I just heard...rumours. Whether Lisa had anything to do with him or not, I don't know but maybe they did cross paths, before."

"Is he after her?" Jisoo's eyes were wide now.

"Tiger King is a myth."

"Jinyoung and Momo think otherwise."

"And pigs might fly."

"Jennie."

"Maybe he was real before, but not now. People would have heard, even authorities would have caught on by now. The people after Lisa don't have anything to do with him."

"Well if there were people after her, why put her out in the open and have her publicly participate in boxing matches?" Jisoo said in frustration.

"Life doesn't stop, Chu," Jennie said wearily. "We had to make money somehow. We took a risk, and it fit in nicely with Lisa's strict boxing regimen. PFB is still very much an underground sport, you saw how unregulated it can be. Lisa was able to direct all her energy to something and bring in money. Maybe I could have had her wear a mask like Seulgi did...but we felt safe enough at time, and we were a bit desperate for money. I wasn't...I didn't think things through enough."

"Hwangssabu approved of this?" Jisoo frowned.

"He died before he ever got to see Lisa fight at the Slammer," Jennie said quietly, "but he had been planning for Lisa to enter either way. I simply picked up where he left off. Lisa had been eager to join too, she fancied that older PFB fighter Sunmi at the time."

"Still...okay, what about the guy that attacked Rosé and Lisa?" Jisoo said suddenly. "And the car you saw outside the condo?"

"We do suspect that it's the people after Lisa," Jennie said softly. "But we didn't want to alarm you...especially without you knowing about Lisa."

Jisoo was left speechless before she hugged her tightly and Jennie clung on to her.

"It's a mess, I know," Jennie said sadly, "but you took a gamble on me, trusting me even when I told you so little. I felt so guilty every time, roping you into this. I keep thinking of how I can tell you in return. Every day I try to avoid it but I can't keep you in the dark forever, it's not fair and I'm well aware. Lisa has been asking me to come clean to both of you but I keep saying to wait. I just...I'm scared Chu. Even knowing about this is dangerous. I can't lose you but...I'll understand if you don't want to get involved, with me," she finished in a small voice.

"You won't lose me. I'm right here, and I'm not going anywhere," Jisoo said, tenderly stroking her cheek. "You're braver than you think, jagiya. Thank you for telling me. We'll figure something out. I could always tell the police that I feel harassed and maybe it would deter those people from stalking out the condo."

"I think that would work. Thank you for understanding, Chu," Jennie said gratefully, her nose brushing Jisoo's. "One day, I'll tell you more." 

"A little at a time is better than nothing," Jisoo said. "And Jen? I didn't take a gamble on you. I specifically want you, with all the good and bad. I chose you, and I'll keep choosing you."

"Jisoo..."

Jisoo felt Jennie's cheek turn wet beneath her palm so she leaned in to kiss her, wondering if it was too early to say the three little words perched on the tip of her tongue.

>

"Sssh Bori, go back to sleep, I'm not going anywhere," Rosé whispered as the cat winded around her legs. She gave up trying to urge the cat to go back to her basket so she let her follow as she wandered into the living room where the pilates equipment was assembled.

Rosé knew the area blindfolded but she still walked carefully, feeling for the edges of furniture until she had made her way to the window and peered out. The night was warm but Rosé wrapped her arms around her body, unable to shake off the chill that penetrated her bones.

They're after your girlfriend.

 Jackson's  (if that was even his real name) words echoed in her head. It was confirmation enough of her suspicions, so at least, she could stop feeling crazy for thinking that Seokjin attacking them was anything else but a direct threat against Lisa. Briefly she wondered about Jackson's role in the whole plot yet he was but a minor thread in the whole web so she quickly dismissed him to move on to more pressing questions.

 Why did Yang and Jinyoung want Lisa? Was it because of Tiger King? What did she have to do with him? How long till they applied even more pressure or worse, carried Lisa off to torture her and interrogate her? Would they really go that far? 

And something that had Rosé's head pound and her breath catch in her throat: were they aware that Lisa and her were girlfriends? If Jackson knew, he must have reported that to Jinyoung. The notion that the sly man knew about them had Rosé break out in cold sweat.

She had quickly showered when she arrived home, then slipped into bed and sank into Lisa's welcoming embrace, snuggling up to her sleepy girlfriend.

"Rosie?"

"Hi baby. Sleep, I'm back," Rosé said softly, stroking Lisa's hair spilling all over the pillow. Lisa scrunched her nose before burrowing against her and breathing in her scent, relaxing against her chest, unaware of the raging tempest in Rosé's head.

Rosé didn't relax. After lying with Lisa for a good hour, she got up and tiptoed to Ella's room. Her daughter was fast asleep, cuddled up with Flora the bunny. Rosé brushed a tender kiss on her forehead as she stroked her back then pulled the sheets up over her and adjusted the AC.

Her family was safe...for now. But how much longer until her past well and truly caught up to them all? Would Jennie and Jisoo be roped into this mess as well? Did Jennie know anything about Tiger King and Lisa's connection to it? Maybe she could try asking her, go behind Lisa's back, betray her even more...

Rosé now leaned against the window, her heart heavy. No. Not yet. Better wait for the right time. Just  a little longer.

Just a little longer, always asking for a little more time, reluctant to let the skeletons out of the closet.

But waiting for the right time only made it more difficult to reveal her past to Lisa as she fell harder for the blonde boxer. Waiting for the right time made it harder to step down from the high pedestal Lisa had placed her on, harder to betray Lisa's trust and slap her in the face with the terrible facts.

"Meow."

Bori was adamant on getting some attention tonight so Rosé picked her up, fondling behind her ears as the cat snuggled in the crook of her arms. Soft pit pats sounded behind her and Rosé smiled as a warm familiar body pressed up against her back.

"Can't sleep?" Lisa asked softly. Her arms wound around Rosé's waist, her cast arm resting on top of the uninjured one. She pressed a kiss to Rosé's cheek and rested her chin on her shoulder.

Rosé nodded and leaned back against her chest. "Sorry, did I wake you?"

"Eh, I missed you. I think because I didn't hear your heart," Lisa murmured, pressing kisses down her neck. Between the body draped over her and the warm furry cat in her arms, Rosé felt the chill in her bones slowly seep away. Lisa held her close, not speaking, just standing with her arms around her, soothing Rosé beyond words.

"She's been in an attention-seeking mood all evening," Lisa said, scratching Bori's ears as the cat purred. "I think she missed you too."

"I have been rather busy, haven't I?" Rosé told Bori apologetically. Then she tilted her head to look at Lisa. "I used to rock Ella like this when she was a baby, and stand at the window of our apartment back then too, watching the lights till she fell asleep. It was hard, walking endlessly. She didn't sleep right away. And Tae...wasn't there when I needed him. It got lonely and I was so young..."

Lisa's arms tightened at the mention of her ex. "I'm sorry I wasn't there, too." 

"Lisa, you have nothing to be sorry for. We didn't even know each other."

"Yeah, but I wish I did. You shouldn't have been alone and I'm sorry for that."

"Did you watch something sappy on TV tonight?" Rosé chuckled then softened. "It's okay. That's life. Main thing is that we found each other now."

"Yeah." Lisa kissed the side of her head. "Rosie?"

"Yes baby?"

"Have you ever thought of...um...maybe having a sibling, for Ella?"

"Well, it's always been just me and her, really. I was always thinking of how to support us and of course I wasn't dating anyone so it's not like I could have their kids." She smiled to herself, wistful. "Ella did ask me sometimes, when she was younger."

"Yeah?"

"Mhm, she talked to the other kids at school of course, and she'd come to me and ask, can we ask Santa to get me a little brother for Christmas? I want a little brother!"

"Holy bagels, that's adorable. Bet you were just fine with one kid though, huh?"

"Why are you asking all of a sudden?" Rosé asked, curious. 

Lisa exhaled. "I know this might sound a little crazy but...I don't know."

"You can tell me," Rosé encouraged, trying to turn around and see her face. Lisa kissed her neck.

"It's nothing much. I was just sitting with Ella earlier in front of the TV and I was kind of missing you. And I pictured you sitting with us on the sofa and...and holding a baby. Like a family, you know?"

"Oh," Rosé said, her throat locked tight.

"I know, we can still be a family, us three, and it's crazy to think like that when we're only just now getting used to being together and neither of  us got stable income, and I don't want you to think that I want a baby or something from you, not at all, I don't see you that way, I know babies are a great strain and I'm nowhere even good enough—"

"Slow down." 

Rosé crouched to let Bori hop out of her arms then straightened to face her girlfriend. In the dark, illuminated only by light from street lamps that filtered in through the window, Lisa's eyes gleamed. Rosé cupped her face, tracing over her cheekbones.

"Are you asking me to have a baby together, Lisa?"

"I..." Lisa fumbled helplessly. "I don't want you to take this the wrong way..."

"How could I possibly take it the wrong way?" Rosé asked softly as her heart drummed in her chest. She couldn't help but trap her bottom lip between her teeth in amusement, endeared when her girlfriend launched into a hasty spiel.

"Because I know it's crazy to be thinking this right now. But I... I love you and...you've given me a taste of what a family looks like and..." she exhaled. "And I love Ella too, I promise, but it's like...having a baby with you...it would be like, ours? I know, a baby isn't an object, it's a precious human, and then you gotta worry about a sperm donor and all that isn't easy and hell, I'm not even sure I'm cut out for parenting so that's why I don't...ugh, you know what, forget what I said, it's too—"

Rosé cut her rambling with a sweet kiss. It was insane to be thinking of such a distant impossible dream when she was drowning in guilt yet once the idea took root, she couldn't stop it. She pictured Lisa, tenderly holding a baby in her arms. It would have her eyes, and the same blonde locks, and the smile that stole her heart, and Rosé felt herself falling all over again.

"I'd love that, one day. It sounds beautiful," Rosé breathed, tenderly stroking her face.

"Yeah? You...you don't think it's crazy?" Lisa said carefully.

"I didn't say that."

"Rosieeeeee."

Rosé chuckled and kissed her again. This time Lisa held her closer and kissed her back with just as much fervour.

"Right now might not be the ideal time to be having a baby but...it's not bad to talk about the future and dream together. Dreams change, they don't have to be fixed. But I like this dream you speak of, even if it might seem crazy. Maybe...maybe one day it might not be so crazy, actually."

"Yeah?"

"Yeah. Especially if I have you with me," Rosé said softly, lacing their fingers together. 

Her traitorous heart gave a tight pinch but she didn't care because it was the truth—having a family with Lisa sounded like the pinnacle of happiness, the final piece to complete the puzzle. It was one more unattainable dream, but that's what her lifeline was made out of after all—fickle hopes and dreams— and Rosé grasped on to them desperately, unwilling to let go.

 Lisa clutched her hands and leaned in to connect their foreheads. "I'll be there Rosie, for you and Ella and...and the baby, if we ever decide to go there. I know this might be moving fast but I just thought I'd see what you think..."

"I want to dream with you, Lisa. That's what I think." Rosé looked directly in her eyes. "This might be too early to say but life is too short to wait. Yes, we're young and everything, but I want you to know: I want it all, with you, because I love you."

Lisa beamed and hugged her so tight to the point that it hurt but Rosé found that she didn't care, as long as it numbed out the guilt in her chest. She buried her face in the crook of Lisa's neck and hugged her back, kissing the pulse point tenderly as she sought to drown herself in her scent. And as usual, she pushed all thoughts of impending doom to the back of her head.

"Take me to bed," she whispered, smiling when Lisa shivered. It filled her with pride that she was able to affect Lisa with just a few words.

Lisa hoisted her up in a bridal lift and pressed soft kisses to her lips, wordlessly imprinting her love over and over. Rosé hungrily swallowed all that she offered, like Lisa's kisses were air and she was suffocating.  She wound her arms around Lisa's neck and kissed her back, drawing away only momentarily to let her maneuver past the furniture in the dark before they were  back to kissing her all the way to their bedroom.

>

"I understand there was an incident that you wanted to report directly?" Jinyoung asked once Dahyun came into hi office. He was flipping through files and didn't look up at her. "Namjoon gave me his side of things already so I know there was a trespasser."

Dahyun steeled herself and slowly approached his desk. Her shadow fell on his papers, but he didn't even look up, making her grit her teeth. He was already pushing her buttons with his seemingly impenetrable safe that houses his secrets, but not even acknowledging her presence when he spoke to her pushed Dahyun over the edge.

She was tired from the shift, exhausted with her fruitless search for answers and her patience wore thin.

"I went to the store to get a crate of scallions and I heard voices outside the door. I listened for a bit but I couldn't hear well. And then he opened the door and found me and Namjoon came."

"You weren't hurt, assaulted, attacked or harassed at all?" Jinyoung drawled, flipping a page.

"No."

"Alright then. Thank you, I'll see to it."

He flinched when Dahyun dropped her fist rather hard on the table, finally glancing up at her. It gave Dahyun pleasure to shake him for just a moment and break his slick composure, because there was nothing more she wanted to do than shake him hard and strangle him.

"I forgot something," Dahyun said quietly. "I know who the trespasser is. Jackson."

"Ah really?" Jinyoung said lightly, his smile returning.

"Isn't that the name of your cousin? The same Jackson Wang I know? I thought he was abroad."

"Well, seems like he came back."

"Or never left at all," Dahyun gritted.

Jinyoung was unperturbed. "Oh? And what business is it to you what he does? "

"I know you think you're playing some smart game with me but I don't care if you fire me," Dahyun said, "I'm tired of being a pawn here. I'm tired of guessing games. I thought Jackson was a friend but clearly he's not."

"What are you implying?" Jinyoung said mildly, folding his hands. This time he was giving Dahyun his full attention, but she didn't buckle. It was what she had been waiting for since the moment they faced each other for the first time.

"I want to know what's going on here," Dahyun said firmly.

Jinyoung blinked. "What's going on?" he echoed. "I am a co-CEO of a KOSPI 200 company and in my downtime, I oversee my little restaurant RKIVE here that I run with Namjoon's help. Whatever tiff you have with my cousin is between you and him."

It took all of Dahyun's willpower not to scream 'LIAR' in his face. "Then let me speak frankly: I don't think Jackson being behind the door was a coincidence. And neither me being there to catch him."

She had been thinking about it up until Namjoon dismissed her a little before closing time to go see Jinyoung. She had been ruminating and turning over the incident in her head, playing with all possible angles so that when she finally faced Jinyoung, she would come out swinging with her strongest hit, just like in boxing.

It had been some time since she felt the rush and adrenaline of a pre-fight but she was definitely feeling it now as she stared down her most formidable opponent yet. 

"Those are some unexpected conclusions you're drawing. Where's your proof? And why couldn't it be just a harmless coincidence?" 

"It could be, but I know it isn't," Dahyun insisted.  She decided to play one of her cards, consequences be damned.  There was a table between her and Jinyoung so if he tried to lunge for her, he wouldn't reach her as easily. 

This wasn't about exposing Jinyoung's shady conspiracies anymore—it was about her burning curiosity. 

"I know Jackson was working on something for you. Something to do with serums and pharmaceuticals. Something not legal at all. That's why he was using a freaking student lab at university, because nobody would ever check that."

Jinyoung still had his knowing smile. "I assumed that's why you came to work here. When I saw you in my office, I knew you had found his notes, unlike what you had claimed. And I was pleased you came to us."

"Why?" Dahyun demanded. She had her pepper spray in her pocket and made sure to leave the door ajar just a crack to provide a quick getaway if needs be. But she wasn't moving an inch before she got her answers. Some would call her foolhardy, but Dahyun had reached beyond the point of no return and threw caution to the wind.

"Well this way, I could keep a better eye on you in case you tried to snoop around and cause trouble," Jinyoung said conversationally. The nonchalant way he was answering her questions, as though this were a mere Q&A session with a professor instead of an exposition, infuriated Dahyun further.

She put both palms on the desk, commanding his attention as she threw down her most important hand.

"I know about Tiger King and your plans to recreate him and follow in your father's footsteps. And I'm not working alone so whatever you do to me, it won't work, because all your secrets will be exposed. They know I'm talking to you right now."

"Is that a threat?" Jinyoung said mildly. "What happens if I feel like I don't owe you answers?" 

He wasn't threatened at all and that was probably the most insulting gesture to Dahyun, the fact that he dismissed her entirely as some mere annoyance, because he didn't believe she could be dangerous to him.

"You know what happens. The authorities get involved." Dahyun levelled her gaze with his without batting an eyelid.

"And you think they will believe you?" he asked, without a trace of condescension but rather, genuine curiosity.

"I think I have enough information to warrant them searching you very thoroughly and ignore any benevolent bullshit you spout. Your days are numbered, Park Jinyoung. Or should that be JYP?" Dahyun sneered. 

She didn't know where she got the confidence from but knowing all the crimes and felonies the man sitting in front of her committed all under the guise of improving the pharmaceuticals industry for the betterment of people had her summon all the courage she possessed to face him and get the load off her chest.

Incredibly, Jinyoung sighed, shaking his head as though disappointed. "I was afraid you'd say that. Unfortunately, this complicates things." His gaze settled on someone behind Dahyun.

All too late, Dahyun noticed the shadow behind her that had entered and crept up without her notice. It was a tall strong shadow that quickly seized her up in a chokehold and pressed a handkerchief to her mouth and nose. Dahyun bucked and struggled in his grip, her cries muted. His tight grip hurt but his betrayal hurt worse, like a stake through the heart.

Yet another person to use her...

"Namjoon," she choked out. His gaze had met hers for an instant but she saw nothing except for steely resolve. Red circles spun in front of her eyes and her nose burned. Dahyun gagged as blackness swallowed her whole. Her last thought was regret, fighting against her helpless rage.

Not like this, it can't end like this, she hadn't even got any answers...

"Lights out, Dahyun," Jinyoung said from far away and Dahyun sank like a stone to the bottom of the dark ocean.

>

Sweltering in the heat of a bright new sunny day in Seoul without even a trace of dust for once, Detective Chanyeol Park stood before the shabby building and looked down at the scribbled note in his hands to check he was at the right address.

The 'Vault' , a warehouse-like building that he had a strong hunch would give him clues about Jennie and Lisa's whereabouts, was currently closed. There were no first floor windows and the doors were metal and locked. The place looked deserted.

It hadn't been easy to track The Vault down, but Chanyeol considered it his biggest breakthrough yet. Aside from keeping up with his roster of cases, he had set aside time to tackle this interesting case of Tiger King more closely. Since he couldn't find out about Jennie and Lisa, Chanyeol referred to Hwangssabu's old colleagues and friends that served in the military, hoping to glean insight into Hwangssabu's life.

Of the five people he interviewed, only a certain Matthew Douma Jeon provided the most interesting information. He was a widowed and retired military captain whom people pointed out to have been close friends with Hwangssabu and served in the military alongside each other, before Hwangssabu got promoted later on and they followed different paths.

While other people freely gave information about their acquaintance with Hwangssabu, Matthew Douma Jeon was far more cagey and guarded, giving only short basic answers and stating they didn't keep in touch because both had gone on with their lives and he had moved abroad as well.

It had Chanyeol's detective senses tingling: this man knew more than he let on.

But Chanyeol didn't want to scare him away. No, he could find out what he wanted with a little digging and pulling some favours here and there with the IT departments at the Bureau. Was it ethical? Not really. Was it necessary? Chanyeol would say absolutely—his hunger to bring down Yang had him chasing down any scrap of information. By hook or crook, he was going to bring down the man.

That would make everyone stop laughing and take the police's work more seriously.

His long hours of searching late at night finally yielded fruit when poring through one of Matthew Douma Jeon's bank statements, he stumbled on a property in a seedy neighbourhood of Seoul entitled simple 'Vault'.

"That's its name," Matthew Douma Jeon had said simply when Chanyeol confronted him again. "I don't understand what your questions regarding Hwangssabu have to do with my property, Detective."

"I understand your distrust but the nature of my investigation is very delicate. I'm afraid I can't reveal too much but you have to work with me here."

"With all due respect officer—"

"Detective," Chanyeol said, slightly frustrated. 

"With all due respect, detective, don't you have more important work to do?" Matthew Douma Jeon said bluntly. Chanyeol pinched the bridge of his nose, trying hard not to lose his temper.

Patience, Chanyeol, Lee Sooman used to coach him. Put yourself in the man's shoes—he has no idea why you're asking him about his personal business.

Chanyeol knew that transparency would likely give him more results but he also had a duty to uphold confidentiality and protect people as well. If word got out about some bizarre assassin plot, there would either be a case of mass hysteria that deters the investigations or else people will laugh at the police force, like usual.

"It used to be a gym," Matthew Douma Jeon had revealed grudgingly after being pressed for answers. "I don't use it now. It's probably falling to bits. Nobody lives there."

This last detail caught Chanyeol's attention, because he had never implied that people actually occupied this property. Matthew Douma Jeon had volunteered that information all by himself, leading Chanyeol to believe that the man was hiding more than ever.

Which was why on his next day off, Chanyeol decided to make use of the time to get out of the office in his plain clothes and take a look at the place for himself.

Disappointment couldn't begin to describe what he was feeling as peered up at the decrepit building with peeling paint and rusty window bars. It had obviously seen better days. The walls were summer-scorched and faded. Briefly, he wondered if Matthew had got in touch with any possible occupants and advised them to make themselves scarce, whoever they might be. 

He had a hunch the ex-military man knew about the girls but kept mum, and held up well under Chanyeol's scrutiny.

Chanyeol huffed unhappily, unwilling to give up but the heat of day was intensifying as the sun climbed higher overhead. He decided to come back and visit another time, or even find time to keep a watch on the place, just in case. As he walked back to his car in pensive thought, he was already running through options on how to proceed and fish for new leads. 

Matthew Douma Jeon had a daughter, Somi. From the files, he saw that she attended university, making her of legal age to be interrogated. Maybe when classes resumed again after summer break, he'd find an excuse to pay her a visit and find out what she knows. By now he was convinced that the daughter would break the deadlock in his search for Jennie and Lisa.

Unbeknown to Chanyeol, there was a Jay sitting in the car, sent there by Jinyoung to keep an eye on the Vault. The Jay was observing him cautiously and communicating over the radio as he fingered his Zapper collar.

"I've never seen him before and he's not from around here, he came in a car. And he definitely isn't someone who knows the area, he was scouring the place until he found the Vault. Should I engage?"

"Find out if he's a cop but do not interact," came the clipped command. "Don't let him notice you, Jay-T, that's imperative." 

"Roger that," Jay-T said.

The man crossing the street in front of Jay-T was tall, wiry and wore plain clothes, with his most noticeable feature being his ears sticking out from underneath his hair. There was no indication to his occupation.

But Jay-T had a plan. 

Though he was in plain sight, he reckoned on pulling off his intentions quickly enough to avoid detection. Sliding off the seat as much as he could without taking his eyes off the man, Jay-T carefully opened the car door inch by inch, holding his breath as he opened it wider and wider until a person could wriggle in comfortably. Then he tugged it shut as hard as he could, banking on the sound being loud enough to attract the man's attention.

The man's hand flew to his waist on reflex, grasping at thin air at the same time as he froze and glanced around him, startled.

But Jay-T had seen enough and when the man got into his car and drove off, he noted the license plate down before radioing his superior.

"Definitely a cop in plain clothes. He tried to reach for his gun when I made a noise."

"Finally, they're catching up," Jinyoung said, a smile clear in his voice. "Keep an eye out for this one, will you? He looks like he will be interesting. And a word of warning, don't let Yang know about this development."

"Yes sir."

*****************

finally finally plot stuff is (sorta) happening again and some chaelisa moments to tide you over too until next time :P

snowdrop ended :((((((((( jisoo is SICKKKKKKK for choosing youngro as her first role and she nailed it, it was such a pleasure seeing her bring the character to life, and the whole drama itself was an intriguing political thriller that had me on edge every week till the end and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

thanks for the votes, reads and comments!

adios and have a good day/night :)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1M 24.7K 41
Lisa Manoban is a womanizer, everyone is falling for her charisma. But what would it be if the day comes when she will taste her own poison. Jennie...
74.4K 2.7K 30
tells the poignant tale of childhood sweethearts, Jennie and Lisa, whose paths diverged when Lisa's family faced financial hardships, forcing her to...
775K 23.4K 62
[Fck Buddies] It wasn't like she had a choice in this matter. She knows she never had a choice anyways. After all, that girl was irresistible, who is...
20.9K 1.6K 20
In a world full of Jisoo's, There is only one Unmarried Kim Jisoo, a small time journalist in a small newspaper company on Jeju Island. And she wants...