Lizzie of the North (Yrsoreth...

By E_Manawari

Stories of how to survive as an evil duke's daughter are nothing new. But then fate just had to, really had t... More

Welcome to the North
SEASON 1◦✿◦Prologue
1 ◦❀◦ Lizzie From The Slums
2 ◦✿◦ The Two Devils
3 ◦❀◦ The Bread Thief
4 ◦✿◦ Dead Garden of Red and Blue
5 ◦❀◦ The Meddling Gardener
6 ◦✿◦ Signed, Felizzia
7 ◦❀◦ Golden Cage
8 ◦✿◦ Song of the Slums
9 ◦❀◦ Meow and Cherry Lies
10 ◦✿◦ Petunia Has Come
11 ◦❀◦ Petunia Has Left
12 ◦✿◦ Journey to Second Frontier
13 ◦❀◦ Torture at Lunch
14 ◦✿◦ Torture Continued
15 ◦❀◦ The Bracelet Envy
16 ◦✿◦ Second Tragedy in an Ugly Dress
17 ◦❀◦ Animal Cries
18 ◦✿◦ Subtle Defiance
19 ◦❀◦ Men Are Wolves
20 ◦✿◦ The Hunter At Port
21 ◦❀◦ The Moon and the Sun
22 ◦✿◦ How to be a Lady
23 ◦❀◦ Screamers & One Lilia
24. ◦✿◦ Twelve Offers of Misfortune
25 ◦❀◦ Honey and "Honey"
26 ◦✿◦ Chaos in the Morning
27 ◦❀◦ Nordis Agenda
28 ◦✿◦ Gyllis Vaddenver
29 ◦❀◦ Crepes and Chaos
30 ◦✿◦ Lizzie in Orange
END 31 ◦❀◦ The Northern Wildfire
◦✿◦ Season 2 Prologue
32 ◦❀◦ Princess Lizzie
33 ◦✿◦ The Three Royal Idiots
34 ◦❀◦ Princess on a Cringefest
35 ◦✿◦ A Song for Silver
37 ◦✿◦ The King Abduction
38 ◦❀◦ Royals on Flea
39 ◦✿◦ Fun of Four
40 ◦❀◦ A Jar of Decision
41 ◦✿◦ Peas, Berries and Eyerolls
42 ◦❀◦Hut Stories
43 ◦✿◦ Welcome, Lizzie.
44 ◦❀◦Imperial Inn
45 ◦✿◦ The Imperial Family
46◦❀◦Not Friend Drama
47◦✿◦The Imperial Scandal
48◦❀◦Elopement: Day One
49 ◦✿◦ Medakaz Miracle Madness
50◦❀◦The Fealty of Clementine Ursova
51 ◦✿◦Some People Are Artists, Some People Are Just Pretty
52◦❀◦Secrets of the Portrait Hall
53◦✿◦In Sickness and In Sickness
54◦❀◦Yacuro Gold Gamble
55◦✿◦Arrows and Potions
56◦❀◦Two at Sunset
57◦✿◦Weddings, Questions and Swords
58◦❀◦The Aftermath
59◦✿◦The Sermon
60◦❀◦The Paper Storm
61◦✿◦Not Really Yours, Lizzie
62◦❀◦ The What Trilogy
63◦✿◦END
◦❀◦The Next Chapter◦❀◦

36 ◦❀◦ Man of Mystery

520 58 13
By E_Manawari

-ˋˏ ༻❁༺ ˎˊ-

"No greetings?" he asked from seconds of silence. "Are you mad?"

She wasn't. Ana and Alec had their circumstances. She was also put in a position where she could not leave the palace without a family member and her knights barricading like an impregnable wall.

If it wasn't for her little rebellion of not talking to her family because of boredom, Devanti wouldn't have told Garth to sneak her out of the castle to enjoy the festival. This led to the uncanny tradition of 'Lizzie as a commoner' day.

The abduction incident eight years ago left a deep paranoia that Lizzie was sheltered in the palace for years. She only left the castle with the family on Hunting Ceremony and began her appearance in the parade the fourth year after the kingdom's founding.

Now that they had met again, in such suspicious circumstances, Lizzie's long-forgotten irritation at him resurfaced. Still, she considered the situation.

Alec returned to Nordis incognito, now he was striking a conversation in secret.

One thing it meant was that he wasn't there for a touching reunion.

"Get straight to the point," she finally said, her voice curt.

"You are mad. Given this festive atmosphere, your family has no idea, yes?"

She kept her mouth pursed, as she watched Luppe coyly smile at her partner.

"The emperor is serious, you know."

With his statement, Lizzie ceased her lifeless clapping and clenched her fists on her sides. "Why would he do that? Just for a wedding ball?"

"You know it's more than that. Think about it Lizzie, why does he want to meet the Norvillons?"

She listed the possibilities and in her top list—"Is he threatened?"—was this.

Alexander purged the royal family before he ascended to the throne. Although Kirien was a child from a concubine, she had the blood of royalty. And the same blood was flowing into Lizzie's. "I have no care to fight for the crown."

"As always, you overthink," he teased. "Don't worry. The emperor isn't petty as you think."

"But to threat us with war? Isn't it pettiness? Just because—" Lizzie took a deep breath. If she burst all the heavy things she kept all this time and it reflected her face, the knights would be alert. One sign of distress and the guards would rush.

She forced a smile, thankful that the scent of something sweet and citrusy from the nearest drink stand wafted to her nose and calmed her. "—Are you an enemy too?"

After all these years, her first friend returned only to serve an enemy. Just what happened to you in between?

"...All you have to do is accept the invitation. Convince the Norvillons to attend. If not...."

"Do you think father will? I don't know why he declared war against the empire years ago, but there must be a reason big enough to cut off ties with the Gran Dacchia. Generations, Alec. The North has been with Gran Dacchia way before it became an empire. He even helped the emperor ascend to the throne... but what did the emperor do to repay him?"

He wasn't clapping now too. Despite the song climbing on its third chorus and the minstrel's voice shaking in praises of the princess' golden heart, Lizzie's heart was in turmoil with Alec's answer. "I can help you. There's no need to seek marriage in Levich nor Syl Sulivar."

She didn't bother to ask how he found out. As he said, she tends to overthink and he knew her too well. Even after all the years, it seemed that he still does. "How?"

"I'll help you escape and attend the ball, then return you just straight after. You can leave a message to your father to ensure him. No need to tell him where you're going. Just relay that you'll return as soon as possible."

"Are you nuts?" Her unused street language emerged.

"I think so." Then he chuckled. "Two days from now, place a jar of Lilia in your balcony before noon, if you agree. I'll come and help you escape. You have been growing them, haven't you?"

Lizzie's mouth opened and shut. To how he knew, or why he was so confident with the plan, Lizzie could only finally turn to him. But he was already looking at her.

Despite the hood, the ebony of the strands of his hair was a nostalgic view. The red eyes bore unto her, like fire. She was terrified of the flame, but maybe this one could be an exception. Unlike his usual curt expressions, he was smiling.

The boy who used to climb her veranda and braided her hair became a man of mystery.

And what a handsome devil he was.

The god Erythros must have looked like this before he was cursed.

She couldn't even react when he touched her and his fingers crawled to the hair behind her ear, lifting off her hood in the process. "I'll be waiting, Lizzie."

With that, he was gone, faster than the knights who rushed and the people recognized the princess. The music and dancing stopped. The minstrel cried with his muse unveiled to be his spectator. People flocked in and it was pandemonium.

Lizzie was ushered inside the carriage with Luppe. Minutes on their way to the palace, she recovered from her shocked stupor at last.

"Your highness, you're face is flushed. Are you alright?" her friend asked in worry.

Lizzie fanned herself and muttered a tired "Yes, I am."

She tucked her hair behind her ear as if to ease the fever on the skin Alec touched. She felt a hoop earring she did not remember putting that morning.

Lizzie removed it. Despite the unrefined stud, the edges of the bluestone reflected the light from the window.

It was her gift to Alec years ago. But the other pair was hidden in her box.

His.

"That little—!" she whispered.

-ˋˏ ༻❁༺ ˎˊ-

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

409K 23.1K 165
Featured at Wattpad's Editor Picks list. Luna, an overworked Engineer, had an unfortunate end. Her spirit, feeling wronged, fights Death for a second...
294K 10.4K 125
Arielle spent her entire life preparing herself to be the perfect fiancée to the Crown Prince and later become Queen. A delusional girl who claims t...
12.2K 362 34
I'm trapped in the world of my favorite novel. Elizabeth has never had the best life but now that doesn't matter. Now she is living as Claudette, a c...
20.5K 694 44
BOOK 2 OF THE ROMANO SERIES. She was a flaming ball of sunshine that didn't know how to sit still. He was a cold and composed man that thought smilin...