Heroes and Wolves [book 1]

By Wolf-Star98

Living in a small shack surrounded by the mysterious Folklore woods, Layla takes everyday as her own but is p... More

Prologue
Character and World Aesthetics
Chapter one
Chapter two
Chapter three
Chapter four
Chapter five
Chapter six
Chapter seven
Chapter eight
Chapter nine
Chapter ten
Chapter eleven
Chapter twelve
Chapter thirteen
Chapter fourteen
Chapter fifteen
Chapter sixteen
Chapter seventeen
Chapter eighteen
Chapter nineteen
Chapter twenty
Chapter twenty-one
Chapter twenty-two
Chapter twenty-three
Chapter twenty-four
Chapter twenty-five
Chapter twenty-six
Chapter twenty-seven
Chapter twenty-eight
Chapter twenty-nine
Chapter thirty
Chapter thirty-one
Chapter thirty-two
Chapter thirty-three
Chapter thirty-four
Chapter thirty-five
Chapter thirty-six
Chapter thirty-seven
Chapter thirty-eight
Chapter thirty-nine
Chapter forty
Chapter forty-one
Chapter forty-two
Chapter forty-three
Chapter forty-five
Chapter forty-six
Chapter forty-seven
Chapter forty-eight
Chapter forty-nine
Chapter fifty
Chapter fifty-one
Chapter fifty-two
Chapter fifty-three
Chapter fifty-four
Chapter fifty-five
Chapter fifty-six
Chapter fifty-seven
Chapter fifty-eight
Chapter fifty-nine
Chapter sixty
Chapter sixty-one
Chapter sixty-two
Chapter sixty-three
Chapter sixty-four
Chapter sixty-five
Chapter sixty-six
Chapter sixty-seven
Chapter sixty-eight

Chapter forty-four

64 35 13
By Wolf-Star98

Layla

I am speechless. 

     "My dad is dead" My sudden words take me by surprise as I realise it's the first time I have ever let the truth flow. The hard, unimaginable truth that I've been avoiding all this time. 

I am really alone in this world. I don't have anyone. 

I kept hoping that my dad was alive and believed that he was missing but he died, which is why he never came back for me. I've been locking the truth away in the depths of my mind for so long and it's taken this to unlock it, for me to realise it. 

That man in the painting is not my dad. 

     "Why are you doing this? That man is not my dad!" I glare at Baymin and Maylock.

     "He is Layla" Maylock simply states and his tone makes rage build within me.

How can this be real! 

     "No, I can't believe this" my fury creeps higher each time I look at the picture. "This can't be true" Every glance I make, another feature of his resembles me. 

     "This was taken seven years ago" Maylock quietly adds. 

     "But how can he be alive!" my voice breaks from disbelief. The reality of this comes crashing down. This means that my dad truly left me. 

He never came back for me. 

I thunder into the medical room, wanting to be out of line from their gazes. 

I sit leaning against the door with my head in my hands. The heat of my raw anger slowly ebbs to make way for another force, a cooler emotion that results in many wet paths running down my cheeks. My dad left me. He really did. My dad was alive all this time and didn't ever think to come and find me and take me back from that awful place.

     "Can I come in?" Maylock's voice comes from the door after two knocks that I ignore. 

     "Leave me alone!" I wipe away my tears and sniff heavily. 

     "I have something from your dad. A letter." 

Something touches my back and I move to find a white envelope pushed under the door by him. It's slightly ripped with smudges of dirt over it. 

     "Why didn't you give me this before?" 

     "Maybe I lied when I said that we weren't looking specifically for you" 

     "You seem to have a habit of lying to me" I seethe. 

     "We couldn't have given this letter to anyone. We had to be sure. We had to find you because of the danger"

     "Oh, the danger that you don't know anything about" I roll my eyes. "I guess that's why you asked me that personal question" I remind him of the first time we met and the probing question he asked about my parents. 

Maylock doesn't respond but it makes me think that this 'danger' might have something to do with my parents, my dad especially since Maylock had to be sure it was me he gave this letter to.

     "You found out who I was from that one question. My reaction said it all didn't it? How dare you ask me that." I shout, tears well up in my eyes for a second time. "you were looking for me because I am Max's daughter. Am I right Maylock!" my voice screeches in rage at the call of his name but he keeps quiet.  

     "Layla, no more" his tone is stern but breaks as he speaks. 

     "No more! Why aren't you telling me anything!" 

     "Read the letter Layla. I'll leave you be" 

I scream, my voice wailing at his inability to explain the bombshell I was just hit with. My dad is alive and he never came back for me but maybe this letter will lead to some answers. 

I carefully skirt around the outside of the envelope, trying not to rip it any more than it already is. There is a note inside.

++++++++++++++++

Layla,

I am writing this letter as I want to tell you why I left. There are no words that can describe how incredibly sorry I am for leaving you where I did but I did it to protect you. You must understand that, Layla. I made that difficult decision. It was the safest option as you would have been at a lot more risk if you stayed. No one could know where you were. 

We were being hunted and could never stay in one place through fear of being found. We were constantly evading the claws of our enemies. It is those people I want you to be wary of. The Monster of Folklore and Adicus. Steer clear of them both my daughter and I will come find you. 

 I am willing for the right people to help protect you because there will be a time where enemies from the past will try and find you.

I wish I had more time to explain. Just do not let them find you. Chaos cannot happen.

My daughter, Layla we will meet again.

Love you and thinking of you always,

Your father.

++++++++++++++++

Tears spring to my eyes. He didn't leave me! He protected me.

My mind is a swirl of thoughts. He was willing for the right people to be there for me, to help and protect me. Wait, the Guardians. My dad must have wanted me to become a Guardian to protect me from this unknown 'danger' that hasn't exactly been cleared up by this letter or from the Guardians themselves but it does highlight something. It tells me possibilities of who I may be in danger of; the monster and Adicus.

This letter has just spiralled more questions. I haven't gained any more information so the only way I can gain new knowledge is to look for my dad.

Without any more seconds to waste, I leave the medical room and head straight for the wide wooden door.

     "Where are you going?" Maylock's voice stops me and I turn around to see him and Baymin near the console.

     "I'm going to find him" they both glance at each other and I know from that look that they are against it.

     "I don't think that is a good idea Layla" Maylock confirms my thought.

     "And why the hell not?"

Maylock runs his hand through his hair while looking at Baymin for seemingly some sort of approval but I don't think he gets it which makes me wonder why he even had to look for it. 

The way Maylock has been interrupted by Baymin in the past comes to mind and through deeper thought, I am assuming that this implies that Baymin is the front line of defence for any information asked by me. What I have gained from this short investigation is that I just need to get Maylock by himself and he might tell me something. 

Maybe that will work?

     "I'm going" I step forward when the familiar metal gates slam down in replacement of not just the exit doors, but every single damn door. Even the circle lock nearest the console has metal surrounding it.

     "Got some upgrades, have you?" I fume.

     "I'm sorry Layla" Baymin is nearest to the console which tells me that he was the one to activate them. "Max hasn't come to us since the day he gave us this letter. He has disappeared. The place where he lived was trashed and destroyed"

     "Well, I'm going to find it. It's a start"

     "Yes, but you're not doing it now"

     "Obviously" I indicate to my obvious lack of options with the gates at every door so I storm down the stairs to the bedrooms because I don't have any other choice.

As I make my way down, the odd heavy feeling rises inside of me again. I'll just have to try to absorb this odd sensation and calm down in amongst the bugs, rust and cobwebs of that bedroom although when I walk in, the smell of citrus hits me. 

The room has been completely redecorated. The walls are painted cream, the bed has a crisp white duvet with two pillows laid on it and there is a digital clock on one of the bedside tables stating six o'clock in the evening. Two chest of drawers give more storage space with one next to the wardrobe with the painting of the forest above it and the other is against the wall to the side of the bathroom door. They both have colourful patterned vases on top of them.

The bathroom is just the same with top cleanliness. The mirror is clear and a bin has been placed by the sink counter. The shower is rust free and no more cobwebs are in sight. 

As I walk out, I notice my bag placed on a chair opposite the wardrobe. I grab it and slump down one side of the bed. Taking out my most precious photo and with the letter in my other hand, I'm overcome with emotion. How can they have not told me about my dad?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.3M 61K 44
Lea was an orphan, so when the upcoming Alpha finds out she is his mate he rejects her because he think she's weak. Only he doesn't know what she has...
2K 59 33
Layla's always had a fiery attitude, so what happens when something new begins to happen inside her that physically matches it? Desperate to keep her...
1.1K 87 14
They broke him, made him miserable, blamed him for a crime he did not commit, left him in the woods for dead. But he did die. He died on the night of...
859K 38K 48
As Alpha of the Blood Moon Pack, Everette Blackwood is required to find her mate. She's not too sold on the idea of needing a man at her side. When...