Heart & Soul (The Untold Harr...

By psandkarrats

"The brightest flame will defeat the deathly chill of seven Decembers." Castor and Pollux Jones, transfer stu... More

DISCLAIMER
Cast
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
1993
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
1994
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
1995
Chapter 54

Chapter 48

4 0 0
By psandkarrats

The following months seemed to be a whirlwind of events. Hermione's continued campaigns for S.P.E.W. had not gained much more popularity, only a few more students had bought a badge and helped to knit more of the hats for the house elves. She'd also taken to learning how to knit socks for them to "conveniently" find around their common room. Dobby had, of course, received the first pair, and he'd been so thankful and excited about them he'd put them on right away, waving his feet about to Harry and Castor proudly.

The bushy-haired witch had, unfortunately, been the newest target of Rita Skeeter, another article of lies has been published, with the lies in questions being told by none other than Pansy Parkinson. The Slytherin girl's rumors sparked a slew of hate mail sent to Hermione as well as some harsh comments thrown around the hallways between classes. Castor and Eliza had been furious at the remarks thrown her way. The Ravenclaw roommates had taken to walking Hermione to and from her classes, flanking the Gryffindor on either side, glaring at anyone who dared to try to confront them about it.

No one dared to argue with one of Hogwarts' champions, for fear of what Professor McGonagall would say when she eventually found out.

Another recent event that nobody expected, was for Barty Crouch Sr. to go missing. Harry, who had run into Viktor Krum in the Forbidden Forest, had seen the elder gentlemen speaking to himself as he faced the trees. Harry had run to get help, and when they'd returned, Krum was unconscious, and Crouch was gone.

Castor and Pollux had pondered over it for hours. How could someone just disappear on Hogwarts' grounds so suddenly? And without anyone having seen what happened... It was all just too weird. Too coincidental with Uncle Nathan's disappearance.

There still wasn't any more news on that front. But Professor McGonagall made sure to check in with Castor over a cup of tea every few weeks. The elder witch was becoming more concerned as the months went on. She knew that the Jones twins were of legal age, adults in the wizarding world's eyes, but it did little to stave off her concerns.

Eliza and Pollux had been happy as well. The Jones boy had apologized for scaring her when he got into the fight with Anton, stating that he was just trying to defend her and Castor against the Durmstrang boy. She'd forgiven him, and they'd been spending every Hogsmeade weekend having lunch at the Three Broomsticks. They'd talk about his time spent growing up in America, attending Ilvermorny and the difference between Quodpot and Quidditch.

He would listen aptly as she spoke about her parents, their vacation to France to visit her mother's family every summer, and what areas of the world she wanted to explore for Herbology.

"Did you know there's a wizard in Nepal who's growing gravity resistant trees?" She'd asked him with an excited smile on her face. He'd grinned back at her with a snicker, leaning forward over the table to give her all of his attention.

"I had no idea. Tell me all about it." He laughed lightly. And she did. He could listen to her talk for hours. Her obvious passion for herbology shining through the way Castor spoke about Magical Creatures. He could see why they'd gotten along so aptly now, and he knew she and Castor had probably lectured each other about their passions on more than one occasion.

She'd listen as he recalled the Dueling Club back at Ilvermorny. Pollux had been the Captain of the team before he'd transferred to Hogwarts, despite being only a third year when he'd left. He spoke about the different spells he likes to duel with, and how he'd learned how to predict his opponent's moves without having to listen to their thoughts, but by watching their movements. He spoke about how he wanted to be an Auror like his mother, how he wanted to represent Slytherin alumni in a better, less evil light. To show that being ambitious and cunning weren't bad traits to be proud of.

Castor had watched their relationship grow, and she'd been happy seeing her twin so starry eyed with her roommate. She'd continued to write to Remus though the following months as well, as the ex-professor had to go back home to his cottage. He'd offered to take Sirius with him, but the Gryffindor had refused. Staying close to Hogwarts meant staying close to Harry.

Their classes only seemed to only get more stressful, the looming due date of their final exams growing closer, as well as the date of the Final task of the tournament. The added stress of not knowing what the Third task would be set Castor and Harry on edge. She'd suggested to him, as well as Pollux, Ron, and the Weasley twins for a friendly scrimmage game of Quidditch to take their mind off of it. Only when they'd traveled to the quidditch pitch, they were surprised to see a large hedge maze growing out of the green grass of the pitch. Hagrid had assured them it was only temporary, and unknowingly, revealed that the final task was an obstacle course of sorts.

Castor had laughed as she wrote to Remus with another 'thanks for being such a great professor'. He'd responded with news that he would be back just before the Third Task for a final Hogsmeade weekend with Sirius in May.

Now, here they sat in the cave, the warmer weather blowing into the dark space with the outside breeze. Castor had stripped down to a tank top and a light pair of jeans, her Converse on her feet. She'd left her hair down, allowing her curls to breeze across her shoulders as she tossed another ferret to Buckbeak. The Golden Trio had donned their summer clothing as well, and Castor had made sure to bring plenty of water in her bag for their secret picnic.

"So, wait," Sirius looked over to Castor from his same spot against the wall sat beside Remus. "You actually created a potion, from scratch, that allows someone to breath underwater?"

"Yea." Castor shrugged as if it wasn't a big deal, but the self-proud smirk pulling at her lips said otherwise.

"And it worked? You survived the whole hour?"

"Barely." She scoffed with another shrug of her shoulders, but the way she'd abruptly turned back to face Buckbeak showed how shaken she was by almost drowning. She shivered as she remembered the way her lungs had constricted and the salt of the Black Lake choking her. "It needs more testing according to Professor Snape, but yes, it works." She didn't have to turn around to know that Sirius was scowling at the mention of the potions master. "Besides, Harry and Pollux saved me. So it's...it's fine."

Harry shook his head at his godfather to let it go, as he didn't particularly like remembering how still she had been as he waited for her to open her eyes and breathe again. "And now, we have to navigate a maze for the Triwizard Cup. And who knows what else they put in they're going to throw at us."

"And they won't give you any more hints?" Hermione asked.

"Nope." Castor said, popping the 'p' in the word. She brushed her hand down the side of Buckbeak's neck as the hippogriff nuzzled her hands. She made her way over to the group now, sitting beside Hermione and Remus. "But if they have Hagrid taking care of the maze, then they'll probably have a magical creature or two that we have to get past."

"What do you think it will be?" Ron questioned.

"I don't know." Castor shrugged in his direction. "But you know me, I'm prepared for almost anything."

The rustle of sand and rocks shifting outside the mouth of the cave startled them into silence. The sound of someone struggling and slipping on the loose rocks just outside the cave put them on edge.

"Fuck!" Pollux's loud cursing made Castor laugh and the others relaxed. "Goddamit!"

"Make some more noise, why don't ya?" She taunted him.

"You could come and help, you know." He called back as he finally climbed the rest of the way up the hill and into the cave. Her twin emerged from behind the large boulder inside the cave that kept them hidden from the outside.

"Where's the fun in that?" She smirked as Pollux took his seat on her left, Hermione scooting over to make room for him. She noticed the bag he held within one hand. She peered over his shoulder trying to sneak a peak of the contents. "What do you have there?" Pollux moved the bag out of her reach playfully.

"It's a surprise." He sassed back at her. She heard the clinking of glass bottles rattling against each other as he reached into the bag. "I thought since it was hot today that everyone might want something cool to drink." He pulled out several bottles of cold butterbeer. The condensation collecting on the sand and socks of the floor of the cave. Castor reached for one when it was snatched away from her. She gasped and looked up to her twin with an affronted look. "You don't get one, since you refused to help me when I struggled up the mountain."

"How is it my fault you struggled?" She laughed. "It's not like we haven't been climbing up the mountain to this cave all year!" She made to reach for it when it was snatched out of her reach again. Remus laughed at the twin's antics. Sirius watched them as well, noticing how Pollux was freely smiling and laughing with his twin as they bantered. It was the first time he'd seen him so carefree and light. He dared not to speak, for fear of ruining the younger man's good mood by reminding him that he was there.

He knew Pollux still held some bitter feelings towards him.

"Pollux, give me the butterbeer." Castor held out her hand, laughing as she stared at him. Pollux began to stand to his feet, when Castor launched herself at him. She'd knocked into him just as he was standing, and the action caused him to topple over onto the ground, narrowly missing Hermione who ducked away from them as they fell to the floor of the cave. Pollux pushed her off and scooted away from her, holding the butterbeer high above his head out of her reach as he avoided trying

Harry was laughing as he watched the twins wrestle. Ron was rolling his eyes, used to the playful sibling fights having grown up with his own brothers, and Hermione was giggling as she sipped the sweet beverage. Remus watched how Pollux used his sized to his advantage, practically pushing Castor away from him by just her forehead alone, watched how Castor pinched at her twin's ribs causing Pollux to practically squeak as he laughed at his sister. Remus cackled loudly when Pollux exclaimed "Wait, stop! You're gonna get my hair dirty!" Sirius put his head into his hands when Remus nudged him in his laughter.

The fight ended with Castor sitting on her twin's back as she pinned him to the floor, raising her hands above her head victoriously. "And the Ravenclaw champion wins the Triwizard Cup! The Hogwarts champion reigns supreme!" She cheered and laughed as the Gryffindor Trio laughed with her. "Woah!" She yelped loudly when Pollux rolled over, launching her off of him and into the dirt.

He stood and brushed the dust and sand off his clothes and out of his hair before he held a hand out to help her up. She shook her curls in his direction, and he batted the falling sand away before he retrieved the forgotten butterbeer and popped of the bottlecap. He waited until she had tipped back the bottle before he knocked the end of it higher than she intended, casing the sticky sweet liquid to drip down her chin. He cackled and ducked away from her swatting hands as he took his seat next to Hermione again.

"Ass." She hissed at him, wiping her hand down the front of her shirt to wick away the extra moisture. "How come you're here anyways? I thought you usually get lunch with Eliza on Hogsmeade weekends."

"We did, but then I lied and said I needed to find you to talk about the Third Task. She left to walk around the village with Cedric and Cho."

"Wow." Castor hummed. "Lying to your girlfriend, I didn't think you had it in you."

"Was I supposed to bring her here?" He huffed out a laugh. He glanced over at Sirius and Remus before he turned back to his sister. "I'll tell her after the end of the year. When the tournament is over." He nodded to himself as he popped the cap off his own frosty butterbeer. Sirius avoided looking at any of the students, feeling a bit guilty for being the main reason for his children's secrecy.

"Okay." Castor nodded too, seeing how her brother obviously didn't want to talk about the subject any further.

"Who's Eliza?" Sirius finally asked out loud, seeing as Harry, Ron, or Hermione already knew who the Jones twins were talking about.

"My roommate and best friend." She noticed how the Golden Trio shot her playfully offended looks all at the same time. "After you, of course." She waved her hand at them.

"She's Pollux's girlfriend." Ron teased.

"Stop it." The Jones boy laughed lightly as he ducked his head to hide his blush.

"Eliza Perkins?" Remus questioned as he remembered his students.

"Yea."

Remus nodded at the confirmation and leaned back against the wall besides Sirius. The atmosphere among the group was light today, and despite the heat that blew in with the breeze from outside, Castor still found herself with her feet propped up on the wall, her head lied over Pollux's legs. She was reading with the book open above her head as she flipped the page every now and again. Hermione had also taken to reading to herself as Sirius, Harry, and Ron talked about Quidditch and the latest teams, though Ron still insisted the Chudley Cannons were still the best. Castor and Pollux would occasionally chime in about the Ballycastle Bats, to which Sirius would scoff and wave off her jeers of who she thought was the better team.

It was a little too close to curfew when they finally emerged from the cave, and Castor found herself igniting her hands as she made her way through the darkened forest. Pollux followed behind her with the end of his wand lit to help guide their way. Harry lagged behind them, walking beside Remus as they waved to Sirius, the fluffy black dog disappearing back into the cave. Pollux allowed Castor to lead the group ahead as he fell back to walk beside Harry. Remus quickened his steps to walk with Ron, Hermione, and Castor to give the two boys some privacy.

"You're worried about him." It wasn't a question. Though he had his own reservations a bitter feelings about his father, he knew that Sirius was important to Harry. He was a second chance to have a family that genuinely cared for him, a chance to leave the Dursleys and finally escape the endless abuse he faced when he wasn't at school.

"The year is almost over." Harry muttered. "He can't live in a cave forever."

"He'll be fine." Pollux slung an arm over the younger boy's shoulders. "My house is hidden enough. Maybe..." He trailed off at the thought. "I don't know. Maybe he can come and stay with me and Castor. And he can still be close to you, you can come and visit during the summer." He cleared his throat awkwardly. "At least until his name is cleared."

Harry stared up at his would-be older brother, furrowing his brows as he pondered the possibility. He recalled the bitter way Pollux had spoken about Sirius during his argument with Castor all those months ago outside the cave. He hated that his godfather's affections towards him caused the twins to feel like they weren't wanted. And despite the many times that Ron and Hermione had assured him he shouldn't feel bad about it, he couldn't help but feel like it was his fault. Instead he asked, "But, what about your Uncle? Would he be okay with that?"

"I don't know if my Uncle Nathan is coming back." Pollux sighed, running a hand through his midnight curls. "Castor wants to hope that he will, but...Professor McGonagall says that the Ministry has ceased their search of him. It's been more than six months since he's been missing, and with the disappearance of Barty Crouch, I doubt they'd exhaust any more of their resources to try and find him now. They have bigger things on their plate than one missing Auror."

Harry was quiet for a moment. "I'm sorry, Pollux." The Slytherin boy's hand tightened over his shoulder.

"It is what it is." He looked up towards his sister, smiling softly at the way she pointed to various plants and herbs with an explanation of their various uses. "We'll be alright."

~

Harry gasped awake in the darkness of his dorm a few nights later. The sweat had seeped through his shirt causing the fabric to cling to his chest. He sat up slowly, peeling away the collar from his clammy skin. The dream had bothered him for months, only growing longer and more detailed as the weeks went on.

Voldemort was still there, weak and hidden from sight. Wormtail was leaning over him, hands clasped together as he stuttered around the two large buck teeth that added to his rat-like features. The other man was there, though he still did not know his name. He was younger, with slick hair and a gaunt face, and he smiled at the whispered bidding of his master.

Only this time it was different. Instead of his eyes peaking around the corner as he came up the stairs, flinching when the snake slithered past him, the two figures were standing above another curled on the ground. The figure shook and shivered into the dirty rug, whispering and pleading with his hands out to protect themselves from the onslaught of torture.

"Please. I don't know any more. I'm sorry." The voice sounded a bit familiar, and as he grew closer, he was horrified to see that he recognized the extra occupant in the room. Nathan Jones peaked up at Wormtail from behind his hands as they shook. "I'm sorry."

"Where is it?" Voldemort's voice hissed. "It was stolen from me, and I'd like it back. I know you know where it is."

"I don't know anything about it. I'm sorry." Voldemort's voice was too low for Harry to hear as the other man opposite Wormtail pointed his wand at Nathan, muttering the Cruciatis Curse under his breath.

Harry shuddered as he watched Nathan writhe and scream on the dusty floor, his voice hoarse and skin sweaty as if he had been here for hours. Harry loathed to even think about this being anything more than a dream. The other man ceased his torture, and Nathan rolled over onto his stomach still shivering from the pain that wracked his body. He watched as the snake slithered up and over the arm of the chair, curling around the headrest as it hissed into Voldemort's ear. Wormtail moved to open the door then, like he always did, grinning at him and opening the door the rest of the way to allow for the killing curse to hit him. The last thing he heard before he woke up was Nathan Jones repeated muttering of "I don't know anything. I'm sorry. I'm so sorry."

Harry didn't sleep the rest of the night. The dream plagued him well into the morning, and he knew that as soon as breakfast was over, he had to tell Professor Dumbledore.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.3K 112 32
Remus Lupins childhood best friend, Violet Watson, has finally come back from a year long transfer to Beauxbatons. The problem? He had just been dia...
1.4M 50.1K 126
"This is not reality, It's a romance, So take a breathe, Enjoy it, It's for you"~Alan Rickman Caitlin Kingsley is a muggle-born witch attending Hog...
644 18 12
Heaven, that's what she is called. The girl that went to Beauxbaton school. She just transferred to Hogwarts. The only people she knows there are the...
226K 5.9K 45
"They held you. Without question. Without reason beyond love." "Come back to me." Entering your fifth year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wiza...