My Summer Romance

By TaliaRayBrown

Chloe Taylor was just an ordinary girl. She's never had that summer romance before. That was until the summer... More

Dedication
Chapter 1
Chapter 2 The Meet Cute
Chapter 3 Clumsy Me
Chapter 4 Fate Strikes Again
Chapter 5 The Morning After
Chapter 6 Adam's Past Girlfriends
Chapter 7 Zoe
Chapter 8 The Plan
Chapter 9 "Boys" night
Chapter 10 The Notebook
Chapter 11 A Series of Romance and a Little Bit of Mayhem
Chapter 12 A Kiss In Time
Chapter 13 Days Go By
Chapter 14 Cedar Point
Chapter 15 The Best Day
Chapter 16 The Rest of the Week
Chapter 17 Official First Date
Chapter 19 Double Date
Chapter 20 Fourth date
Chapter 21 Kind of a Date
Chapter 22 Drive in
Chapter 23 Count as a Date?
Chapter 24 Nice Night
Chapter 25 A Weekend Alone
Chapter 26 Birthday Wishes
Chapter 27 Family Reunion
Chapter 28 Play Ball
Update

Chapter 18 Second Date

6 0 0
By TaliaRayBrown

I told Adam that even though I live in Ashland, I have never really "explored" it. Bad idea.

For our second date, he suggested that we "explore" Ashland together. He said that since he's unfamiliar with downtown and I apparently never get out, it would be a perfect date.

I dont know why he doesn't know the city since he travels here every other year. He and Jake must have played video games the whole time. Well, can't complain. At least I get to hang out with my favorite guy. And to be fair, I've never really gone downtown either, even though I live here.

Today is Monday the 13th. Two days after our last date. What? You have to put some time in between dates. Plus nothing's really open on a Sunday.

Adam drives us again, although we will spend most of the time walking. He parks my car over by the college. We get out and walk along the sidewalk until we turn right. We continue down a little side street to the main road. To our left is the library, and guess who wants to go in? Haha not me! But Adam does....

"You know, we don't have to see everything," I complain.

"Well I want to check out the library," he retorts.

"Oh God. I haven't been in here since I was like six."

"Oh stop complaining! It's not that bad," he reasons.

"Well, as long as we're out of the heat."

We take a look around. I've really forgotten how it looked in here: books piled high to the ceilings, the computers in the children's section, everything. I never paid much attention to the rest of the library because whenever I was in here, I was always at the computers playing games. Either that or looking in the children's section for a book. Or looking at the fish tank. But that was it. I really have avoided this place ever since I was little.

Since then, the library has been renovated. Instead of the computers being in the kid's section, they're to the left of the door where the front desk used to be. Now the front desk is straight ahead when you walk in. Instead of the children's section being in the left corner, it's in the far right. The movies take the place where it used to be. There is even a small quiet place for studying in the far left corner. That never existed before. Another single study room is just to the right.

We stay and look around for awhile, browsing the teenage section. Every once in a while we point out books we've read. Then Adam finds a book we both recognize.

"Hey! This is the book I checked out when you wanted us to read it!" He says.

"Wait, you came to the library and checked this out?"

"Yeah! I was surprised at how much I enjoyed My Boyfriend's Dogs. It was easier to read it dramatically since we both had a copy."

"Adam!" I slap his arm. "You've already been here before! Let's go!"

"But-"

"No! Come on!"

We walk through the small park at the end of the street. I explain to Adam that they always decorate it for the biggest holidays, especially Christmas. It's also a great spot to watch the parades pass by.

At the stoplight, we take a right. We wait for the walk signal before we run across. Here is where all the little shops are.

The first shop is the Clothes Minded Boutique. You can guess what we found in there.

The second store is the coffee shop. Downtown Perk and Dessert Oasis I have heard of before, but I never went in. It's exactly the kind of little coffee shop you would expect: small, yet cute, and stylish.

We order our drinks and pick our dessert before we sit down by the window.

"This is cute, huh?" Adam asks.

"Yeah. I mean I'm not really a coffee drinker, so that's a good reason why I've never been here, but this chocolate cake is delicious!"

"Let me have a bite."

"As long as I can have a bite of yours," I negotiate. We switch plates and end up eating each other's desserts. Adam had ordered a chocolate and vanilla swirl cake with a raspberry drizzle. I would have totally ordered that, had I seen it first.

Next stop is the Antiques On Main. Wow, was there a lot of old crap. We didn't buy anything. Honestly, what could we use?

We continued down the street to Kid's Kountry. Yeah I know, weird right? Let's just say it was definitely kids country.

After that was Bikesmith Cycling and Fitness. That could have been useful, if we didn't already have bikes. But there were some other fitness equipment. We still didn't buy anything from the store however.

We kept walking to Merle Norman Cosmetic Studio. Adam felt really awkward in there, but I got some new stuff. Mostly just lip gloss because I don't like to wear makeup anywhere else. I got lucky and have pretty naturally dark eyelashes. It's truly a gift. I thank my lucky stars everyday because of it. I only use mascara for special occasions, if I want some extra lift.

We walked further down to the Candy and Nut Shoppe. Here is where we bought an overwhelming amount of stuff. We bought chocolate boxes with surprising fillings, we got nuts, we got boxes for our families, and we got boxes where we knew the exact flavors. They all looked so good! We'll be eating a lot of it later....

We walked across Main Street to the other side, and continued in the same direction.

We went into Kelly's Vintage Records to see what that was all about. In there we found all different kinds of records: different genres, artists, and the oldest songs. We even played a few. Adam asked me to dance, and I couldn't refuse. It was sweet and charming.

Turning right, we walked in the direction we had originally come, just on the other side of the street.

We checked out C Bloomers before we went into Drum N Strum Music Studios. There, we were able to play instruments. Adam and I had a competition to see who could play the worst. I won because Adam can actually play instruments. I can't. Did I mention that he has a guitar? Well he does. He told me all about it while we were in the store.

"I was forced to have piano lessons when I was a kid," he says sitting on the piano bench while he strums the guitar. "When I was old enough, I got to choose what instrument to play. I took up the guitar because it was the one thing I was interested in playing. I was always interested in the guitar. Even when I was little, my dad knew how to play and he would strum while my mom sang us to sleep. Sure we would read books sometimes, but mostly, that was what we would hear before bed."

"Awww Adam," I put my arm around him.

"Yeah well, when I showed interest, my dad bought me a guitar and taught me how to play. Told me girls liked a guy that could play a guitar and that's how he got my mom. I didn't really care about the girls, in fact, your the first girl that I've ever told any of this to. Somehow I knew that the others wouldn't appreciate it the way you would."

"It's a really cool talent. I'm glad you told me. Maybe when we get home you can show me how to play." We stare at each other in silence, our faces inches apart. Right before I think he's going to kiss me, he pulls away.

"Maybe," he says quietly. Then he gets up and puts the guitar he was holding away. "Come on, let's go see what else is in this town." He leaves me to sit dumbfounded as to why he pulled away. Once I realize he isn't going to come back into the store for me, I go out to look for him.

I find him in front of the window of the next shop. It was another music store.

"Can you tell me what just happened back there?" I ask him.

"I don't know. I just...." He trails off.

"You just, what?"

"I've never actually gotten personal like that. No other girl has actually cared."

"Adam. You can tell me anything. That's the point of dating. It's to get to know someone you have an interest in."

"I know. It's just, different. It's going to take some getting used to."

"Well get used to it, because I'm not going anywhere." He smiles at me. I return the smile.

"Hey you wanna skip this store?" he asks. "I don't really feel like going into another music shop."

"Yes, please," I exhale.

We move on to the next store where I drag Adam into.

"Do we have to look at this crap? I'm sure there's crap where we're going!" Adam smiles innocently.

"Yes we do, and yes I know what movie that's from. Don't mess with me because I'm the movie queen," I pick up a tiara and point it at him. He laughs.

"Okay, movie queen. Go put on your 28th dress."

"Oh I don't know. I have to pick one first," I tease him, when I've been looking at the same dress for the past twenty minutes.

"Why did I let you drag me into this store?" Adam mumbles.

"Whaaaaat?" I peak around a rack.

"I didn't stutter," he says simply.

"Yeah huh."

I take the dress into the dressing room where I try it on. It takes me awhile to get into it because it's a ballgown. And it may also be a wedding dress. But I've watched a seamstress get into her dresses all the time on Instagram, so I figured it out, for the most part. When I come back to the viewing area, I see the ladies in the store are all surrounding Adam.

"Aww. Now doesn't he look handsome?" One lady says.

"You look great!" Says another.

"Damn he's smoking!" The youngest exclaims. "I mean you wear it well." I try to stifle a laugh, but they all turn around and look at me anyways.

"Well what's going on over here?" I ask in my singsong voice.

Adam stops shuffling with his cuffs when the women move out of the way for him to see me.

"Wow. You look..."

"Gorgeous!" Lady number one finishes.

"Absolutely stunning!" Number two exclaims.

"Beautiful, just beautiful," the last one marvels.

Adam seems at a loss for words. He looks me up and down, as if to take it all in. I can tell he must be thinking similar thoughts to the women but I'm still curious of what exactly that is.

"You two are a perfect match! I can see the wedding myself!" Right. I forgot to mention how we pretended to be getting married so we can browse the dresses.

"Oh! It's bad luck to see the bride in her dress before the wedding!" Lady two worries.

"It's okay, I don't believe in that," I assure them. I may not believe it necessarily, but I do like the idea of having this big reveal. Not that I would tell them that.

It's then that Adam finds his voice. "Get over here," he smiles. I take a step back. Adam gives me a look before he walks toward me. I continue to back up before I turn to run, but he catches me.

He holds me with his right arm across my back and his left hand holding my right as he slowly dances me from side to side.

"Why do you have to be difficult?" He sighs. "Oh right. Because you're so vain."

"I am not!" I defend.

"Then why do you have to be so difficult?" I look at him and shrug. "Exactly," he laughs.

"Hey, if you want easy, then you might as well get out of this relationship now."

"Nah, I could never do that."

"And why not?"

"Because you need me." I stare at him before he continues. "You see it's like this. With me," he raises his hand, "without me," he lowers it.

I smile at him and he brings his head down to kiss me.

"Awww!" All three woman admire. We look at them and they disperse throughout the store. Then, Adam picks me up.

"Shall we Mrs. Fuller?" He jokes before taking me back to my dressing room.

The women of the store make us take a picture before we get changed. I don't mind. Now I will have something to remember this trip by. Of course we told them the truth; that we were just looking around. Hey, there are worst things you can do then tell a little lie.

After we change and thank the ladies, we walk back out on the street and back to my car.

"Well that was fun," I say.

"Yeah we should do it again sometime."

"Ha no," I fake laugh, referring to playing dress up in the last store. Not that it wasn't fun, but I would rather not have three women staring at us.

"Okay, okay," Adam forfeits. "We'll do something else next time," he laughs.

We finish our trip by getting frozen yogurt at Eva's, and then heading home. As soon as we arrive, Abby is there wanting to know everything about my date. So I tell her, and she ends up staying the night. We laugh and talk about all the dumb things Jake has said, and the ridiculously cheesiness of her brother. I don't remember how late we stayed up or how long we talked, but I do know that I will never forget this day.

--------------------
Adam

My date with Chloe was unimaginable. I love spending time with her. She's so cute and sweet. I'm lucky to have her. But when I saw her in that dress.... Man, I know this was only our second date, but when I saw her in that dress...

This might sound crazy, but I just knew right then and there, that I had to marry her. I was going to make her my wife, and I would spend the rest of my life treating her as the princess she really is. I will always and forever, give her a fairytale.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

451 35 27
Do you know what to do with your life? Do you know how to make the best of it an live every second to the fullest? Do you know how to follow your dre...
26K 485 24
When 4 hockey heads from Minnesota move to LA, a certain well known pop star catches the eye of 2. Persephone Fox. Singer and songwriter at the one...
95.8K 2.3K 54
Follow Chloe as she realises what can happen when you learn to love and how heart break can kill. Contains Strong Language All stories are my own.
6.4K 237 34
At 28, Jillian realizes that her seemingly perfect life is a continuous mundane routine. she is fed up with conformity and wants change. Along the wa...