Not Just The Side Character

By Super-Cool-Potato

'Pointless' That is how the protagonist saw everything. It all started with an accident, but it is pointless... More

Ch 0: New Game+
Ch 1: Travelling Above The Clouds
Ch 2: An Unexpected Encounter
Ch 3: A Memory Unlocked
Ch 4: Late Knight Problems
Ch 5: A Proper Knight
Ch 6: I Got a Job. Then I Brought a Strange Girl Home
Ch 7: A Colourful World
Ch 8: Loose Ends-
Ch 9: -Tend to Catch Up
Side Story 1: The Days in Between
Ch ???: R|||n
Ch 10: Priorities
Ch 11: The Sixth Thread
Ch 12: The Mob Life
Ch 13: A Change Of Heart
Ch 14: They Shall Kneel
Ch 15: A Withered Heart
Ch 16: A Breath of Fresh Air
Ch 17: A Date
Ch 18: Will You Go Out With Me?
Ch 19: How To Love
Ch 20: A Battlefield
Ch 21: Snowfall
Ch 22/Christmas Special Part 1/2: I Know Who You Are
Ch 22/Christmas Special Part 2/2: I Remember Who You Are
Ch 24: Make A Wish
Ch 25: Please Be Happy
Ch 26: Robin Cross
Sidestory 2 part 1/4: From Otome To 18+ Eroge| Mini Edition
Sidestory 2 part 2/4: From Otome To 18+ Eroge| Rough Edition
Sidestory 2 part 3/4: From Otome To 18+ Eroge| Desire Edition
Sidestory 2 part 4/4: From Otome To 18+ Eroge| Villainess Edition
Ch 27: No Turning Back
Ch 28: A Productive Night Out
Ch 29: Proposal
Ch 30: Suits and Suitresses
Ch 31: The Calm Before The Storm
Ch 32: Without Hesitation
Finale
Epilogue: Not Just The Side Character
DLC Bonus 1: The Days Following
DLC Bonus 2: Final Boss
DLC Bonus 3: A Normal Girl
DLC Bonus 4: Babysitter
DLC Bonus Finale: Epik Adventure
The Halloween Treat

Ch 23: Not Even a Minute

1.3K 61 21
By Super-Cool-Potato

Robin POV

How did we get to this point?

Leticia and Elizabeth lay dying behind me while Clarissa is desperately trying to save them. The female leads preparing to strike at full force with nothing but rage in their faces. And Grace is in front of me, being the sole cause of all this mayhem.

In this moment of frozen time, only me and Grace are able to move.

Robin: "Why are you doing this?!" I yell at Grace.

Inside of this room where upside down is right side up and left is right, where normal logic doesn't apply and reality is being distorted, Grace floats before me with purple demonic energy surrounding her like electricity.

She begins to laugh maniacally as the lightning begins to move erratically.

Grace: "This has always been our fate, just accept it! Don't you see Robin?! In this story I am the Villainess and you are the hero!" She yells.

She's still on about that.

Robin: "A story like ours isn't pre-written, we can still choose our fate. It doesn't need to be like this!" I yell, trying to get through to her.

Grace: "Oh but Robin, it does." She giggles. "You say our story isn't pre-written? Well it is! Everything I've done, everything that you have done, it has all been leading up to this moment! I've made sure of it!" She shouts, sending a bolt of lighting towards the frozen girls behind me.

My eyes dart to the frozen Clarissa who had tears running down her face as she desperately uses her magic to keep Elizabeth and Leticia alive. Then they dart to the bolt of dark lightning that's immune to my [Mana Interference]

I use Scarfy to intercept the bolt just in time and the electricity runs through it and zaps me.

The pain is excruciating, but I manage grit my teeth and keep my eyes on Grace.

Grace: "You see Robin? This is why you are the hero in this story, you're so selfless, always ready to help others. Isn't the contrast between us just perfect for the story?" She asks with her undying sweet smile that hides her fangs.

Robin: "Stop this Grace! I don't want to hurt you!" I yell, hearing the desperation in my voice.

Grace: "Poor little servant, of course you don't want to hurt me, you're too kind after all." She smiles, stopping in place for a moment. "But I want you to hurt me!" She yells as several bolts for lightning hurdle towards the frozen girls again.

And just as before, I manage to block it all with Scarfy and suffer the consequences. I somehow manage to bite my lip and hold back a scream.

Robin: "Please Grace, is this really what you want?" I ask her as I taste blood in my mouth and smell my burned flesh.

Grace just looks at me for a moment with an inscrutable face, then she begins to frown and her eyes glisten.

Grace: "This isn't me, save me Robin, I beg you, please save us." She pleads as a tear rolls down her eye.

My words were getting to her! I take a step forward with my hands out as to not alarm her-

And I'm immediately hit directly in the chest by a bolt of lightning. Being unprepared, the strike is powerful enough to knock me on my back and send me sliding back towards the frozen girls.

Grace: "Ahahahaha! Did you really think it would be that simple Robin? You're more naive than I thought." She grins devilishly.

I get back on my feet and clutch at my chest feeling Scarfy's armour. She burnt the clothes on my chest with that strike.

Robin: "Dammit Grace." I mutter.

Grace: "What was that? Hmm, doesn't matter." She says beginning to prance around in circles. "You better come and get me before the curse kills your precious girlfriends." She taunts before flying through a door on the ceiling.

I don't bother shouting for her and take a moment to catch my breath and gather my thoughts. My chest begins to sting, mainly because of both emotional and physical pain.

I don't want hurt Grace, but I have no choice but to kill her and dispel the curse. Everything was just fine an hour ago, everything happened so fast.

Robin: "You're right Scarfy, deal with her first, figure out a solution after. Thank you." I say as I pat the scarf around my collar bone.

I clench my fist and let Scarfy launch me towards the door where I hear several demonic cackles. Of course a demon's dimension has demons in it, I just have to hope this room I'm in now is a safe zone.

Because the girls are absolutely helpless at the moment.

I ready my sword and slash through the door, I'm barely a month into school and I'm already facing demons.

And hero? I'm supposed to be a side character, how has this happened to me?

Nah, whether I'm a side character or not doesn't matter anymore, all that matters now is protecting the ones I care about and making them happy.

*Grwarghhh!!!*

I falter when I hear the blood curdling screams of the demonic entities, but I feel my body grow cold with determination.

I'll do whatever it takes to save them all.

-One minute earlier

Who decided to build a house all the way out here? Well the school did I assume, but why? It's at the far end of the courtyard and the courtyard is extremely spacious.

I guess it's the perfect place for a party. It's secluded and far away from school meaning no one would know what's going on over here. We'll be able to do whatever we want.

I wonder if we have alcohol, it's been awhile since I've had any. Last time I did it was with Robert on my seventeenth 'birthday'. I think we ended up on two separate islands after we got drunk and couldn't figure out how we ended up that way.

I distinctly remember a crazy hangover.

I've found that my body is surprisingly weak to alcohol so it's probably best I shouldn't have any when I'm with the others.

I should start focusing and see what Grace needs. I walk up to the door and give it a few knocks, and not long after it opens up.

Grace: "Oh good, you're here. Come on in." She says in an uncharacteristically flat tone.

Robin: "What's with the urgent sounding text? Is there an emergency?" I ask as I walk into the home.

Grace: "Other than me dying from boredom? No. But you being here cured me of that problem, so no emergencies at all." She says smiling sweetly, looking like the normal Grace again.

Robin: "Then what's the surprise?" I ask as she walks ahead of me.

Grace: "Have some patience Robin, come with me to the living room." She says as I see a glimpse of her smile.

Though for a second I mistook it for a smirk. Is there even a difference when it comes to Grace? I haven't figured that out yet.

I don't take much longer to follow her footsteps and we pass by a clock that reads 11:10.

Grace: "That's a nice necklace by the way, it really suits you." She says as we walk.

Robin: "Thank you, and I agree." I say softly as I look down to it.

So much nostalgia comes from this necklace, and the fact that the person who is the most similar to Natalie gave it to me only made it more so. It won't ever be the same necklace as the one in my past life, but I feel as if it carries the same amount of feelings.

Because my last name is Cross huh, how childish.

Grace: "You look like you're thinking about something nice." She after a small glance.

Robin: "That's because I am." I say noticing that my facial muscles feel a bit different.

Did I use them recently? No, that's impossible...right?

Soon we end up in a cozy living room fitted with a fireplace and T.V. Several couches surround a table that lies directly in front of the fireplace.

Grace: "It's pretty nice right? I've gotten the whole place for ourselves." She says plopping herself on a couch, she pats the spot beside her. "Take a seat." She smiles.

I once again do as she says and take a seat on the comfortable couch after taking off my bag. I've been running around a whole lot today, it feels nice being able to just relax now.

Grace: "You seem relieved." She points out with a smile.

Robin: "You have no idea." I sigh as I sink deeper into the couch.

Grace: "Well go on, tell your master about it. I'm all ears." She says kindly.

Robin: "It's nothing bad, it's the opposite in fact. This is the first time I've enjoyed winter in a very long time." I find myself admitting to Grace easily, it seems to always be this way when I'm with her.

Grace: "It makes sense I suppose, how can one enjoy such a holiday when it's an annual reminder of a tragedy that occurred ten years ago? Perhaps the winter holiday just attracts such things. But, ever since you met them things have changed am I right?" She asks curiously.

Robin: "If you're talking about everyone, then yes. But what tragedy are you talking about?" I ask flatly.

Grace looks at me surprised and confused for a moment.

Grace: "Do you really not remember when your parents died?" She asks with an eyebrow raised.

Robin: "Of course I remember it, but why do you know the details?" I ask her warily.

She begins to grin victoriously.

Grace: "Because that's when my parents were killed by the same demon that killed yours." She says without a hint of grief in her voice, in fact, she sounded proud when she said it.

I quickly sit up and turn my head sharply towards her.

Robin: "Wait what?" I say in surprise.

I knew her parents were killed by demons from Elizabeth, but what are the odds that they were killed at the same time as mine? Elizabeth did mention that they were going to meet a baron, could she have been talking about Lisa's dad?

Grace: "I know! I'm just as surprised as you are." She says excitedly. "After a little bit of searching, I learned that both of our parents funerals happened at the same time. The reason Natalie Cross was so familiar to me was because it was your mother's name! I don't blame you for not telling me this yourself, I know opening up about something like this is hard." She says sympathetically.

Natalie Cross was my mother's name? I never bothered trying to remember any facts about Robin's life, maybe that's why I felt that Grace was familiar to me too.

Today is just full of surprises.

Grace: "I remember we met briefly at the time, you were much brighter back then. And look at you now, oh how the years passed by." She giggles.

Grace seems rather unfazed about talking about all this, it's worrying to me.

Robin: "I don't seem to remember any of this, can you tell me about our meeting?" I ask her, listening attentively.

Grace: "How about I ask you a question first." She says as the mood suddenly shifts.

I'm a bit taken aback at the change but I quickly regain my composure.

Robin: "Sure, ask away." I say flatly, trying to think about the possible questions she could ask me.

Grace: "Are you afraid of death Robin?" She asks looking serious.

I'm again taken by surprise at her question, but the answer comes quickly in my head.

Robin: "No." I say flatly.

The fear of death was erased when I reached the point in my life where everything was pointless, including self-care. But things are different now, my life isn't my own anymore.

Which was a good thing through and through.

Robin: "That doesn't mean I want to die by the way, I have people I care about now and I can't just leave them behind. But if I had to give my life for one of them, I wouldn't hesitate." I say with resolution.

Grace appraises me for a moment and seems satisfied, then she begins to smirk devilishly.

Grace: "So what would you do if you had to choose between me and those people you care about?" She asks leaning closer, putting a hand on my chest.

I begin to frown as I look at her.

Robin: "You're part of the group of people too you know." I say flatly, not moving from my spot.

Grace begins to frown as well and then begins to get frustrated. She pushes herself off of me and sits back down with her arms crossed.

Grace: "How annoying." She mutters.

I still don't quite understand Grace at times.

Grace: "You tried cheering me up with a big smile while you were crying your eyes out." She says suddenly.

Robin: "Sorry?"

Grace: "It's the answer to your question, it was the only time we had met but it still made its place in my memories." She explains.

Robin: "Oh." I say to her answer. "Then I'd find a way to save everyone." I say looking towards the crackling fireplace.

Grace: "Sorry?"

Robin: "It's the answer to your question." I explain flatly.

Grace: "But I only gave you two options." She frowns.

Robin: "And I made a third one." I point out.

She looks as if she were to refute my answer but shuts her mouth. Then she opens it again to say something else.

Grace: "That would be rather entertaining to watch." She says with a smirk.

Robin: "What's that suppos-"

*Ding Dong*

Grace: "It appears someone is here, it should be them." She says vaguely, getting up from her seat.

Robin: "Ah wait." I say grabbing her wrist as she passes by.

Grace: "Trying to hold my hand are you?" She smirks teasingly.

Robin: "No, I need to give you your present." I say reaching into my pocket.

Grace: "Save it for later." She says freeing herself from my hold, quickly turning back around.

She wasn't going to get away this time. I quickly use Scarfy's speed to get up and dash behind her and clip her present around her neck.

Grace: "What did you- oh." She says looking down towards the silver necklace that loops through a silver crown at the end.

I had taken her present out of my bag and out of its box and into my pocket for the next time I saw her. I knew she'd try to run away again, for whatever the reason she has in her head.

Robin: "I'm sure you're used to something much more grand, but I hope you like it." I say in a warm tone.

She doesn't turn around to face me and instead closes her hand around the crown, her knuckles beginning to whiten. Then she lets go with a huff.

Grace: "Pointless." I hear her mumble before she begins walking again.

What's wrong with her today? I guess the winter holidays is messing with everyone's feelings.

I catch up to Grace and we walk in silence, but as we walk I begin to feel as though something is off. We continue to walk for an abnormal amount of time and we pass by the clock from earlier.

11:10

Maybe it's broken? I look to Grace who had a carefully neutral face. She either doesn't notice these changes, or she's ignoring them.

Suddenly she stops in place, almost making me walk into her.

Grace: "I never showed you the surprise yet." She says without turning to me. "Are you ready to see it?" She asks me.

Robin: "Uh, sure." I say warily.

She pulls out her phone and her head tilts slightly to the side, just enough for me to see her smirk. She presses a button on her phone and-

*BOOOM!!!*

An extremely loud explosion goes off, shaking the ground and making my ears ring. I look to Grace to ask her what just happened but I find her already looking at me with her smirk, a flicker of dark purple crackling in her gentle purple eyes.

Grace: "There's no need to worry Robin, the explosion happened in the backyard and I promise nothing was destroyed." She reassures me.

She takes a step towards me and places her hand on my chest like earlier.

Grace: "Our final act has finally begun." She whispers to me before a sudden force from her hand sends me through a door behind me that wasn't there before.

I begin falling as I see Grace wave at me as the door slowly closes. When it shuts I find my sled falling, or rising, through several rooms with staircases going every which way and doors all around me.

Falling...

Falling...

No end in sight...

As if I'm spiralling into an endless pit of darkness and despair...

An all to familiar feeling...

But what is this sense of sadness and longing?

It's almost as if the endless pit itself is longing to end.

Eventually I land on my feet, as if I wasn't falling for about thirty seconds and just walked down a single step, and I look around the room I find myself in.

The whole colour scheme and furniture looks to be randomized and chaotically spread out. There are stairs on the ceiling and on the walls and spiralling around randomly placed pillars. The room itself was impossibly large as well, almost as if I'm in a whole new space of sorts.

This whole place reminded about a painting called relativity.

I'm glad I grabbed my bag before I put on Grace's necklace. I pull out my sword from its bottomless storage and let Scarfy slither around my body for armour.

Armed and ready, I feel a little more secure in this odd place.

Grace: "Did you land safely Mr.Hero?" Her voice asks from no specific place.

Robin: "Grace?! What's going on?!" I shout to the room.

Grace: "Now I'm sure you're well and confused at the moment so I will make this quick. In order to complete the scene of our final act I've made a deal with the devil, quite literally almost. I'll spare you the details and just say, the precious people you care about? They're all making their way here and are about to walk face first into a special trap I've created for them. You better find your way out of here quickly, who knows how long they'll survive without the help of their hero." She says accompanied with devilish giggle, more devilish than normal.

I doubt she could hear me and I wasn't going to waste my breath trying, so I throw my empty bag to the side and start running up a set of stairs that curve sideways along the wall. The stairs seem to shift gravity as I begin walking on the wall. It's disorientating at first but I soon steady myself.

I run towards what was once the floor and find that it had now become the wall. My little theory about the stairs shifting gravity was right, and there were doors scattered all over the place.

I run to the nearest door and throw it open. I'm unable to see through the frame because of a dark mist that blocks my sight. I gulp and stick my hand through the door.

I feel nothing but air and when I look around, I see my own hand waving to me through a door that's on the ceiling. I grit my teeth and decide to walk through the door to find myself now standing on the ceiling.

I scan the large room once more and groan, there are a lot of doors. Dammit, why is Grace doing this? And what are the others about to walk into?!

I pull out my phone and find that I have no signal in this place, of course it wouldn't be that easy. I shove it back into my pocket and run to the nearest door again, I'll just need to keep guessing what door is the way out.

Please be safe everybody.

Clarissa POV

While still thinking about how Robin is actually my brother from my past life, I soon find myself at a cosy looking house. This is where the party is supposed to be at right?

I slowly reach for the door as the hairs on my neck begin to rise, something scary is nearby.

I feel someone tap on my shoulder and I jump in surprise.

Clarissa: "Eeek!" I squeak as I turn around.

Yukio: "Woah! Are you alright?" She asks with concern in her voice.

I breathe a sigh of relief.

Clarissa: "Alright, it's not that bad." I say to myself.

Yukio: "What's that supposed to mean?" She glares at me.

I shrink back a little and laugh nervously.

Yukio: "Never mind that, did you get the text as well?" She asks me.

Clarissa: "What text?" I ask reaching for my phone.

Lisa: "The one about Robin being in danger." She says as she approaches us wearing a red coat with two others behind her.

Rachel: "And what's going on with the school? It's like time is frozen or something." She says with a sword at her side.

Melissa: "This must be the bad girl's doing." She says with a cute frown.

They must have heard the explosion as well.

Clarissa: "Robin's in danger, come to the party place now." I say reading the text from an anonymous number. "Did Grace send this?" I ask the others.

Rachel: "She is the most likely person to send a provocation like this." She says calmly.

Yukio: "Suspicious or not, we should go in already, just in case Robin's actually in danger." She says sounding calm, too calm.

Lisa: "Fu hu hu, after we make sure he's alright I have the greatest story to tell you all." She says haughtily.

Yukio: "Did you kiss Robin?" She asks with a brow raised.

Lisa: "Wha- how did you know?!" She asks sounding alarmed, her cheeks matching the colour of her seemingly new coat.

Yukio: "A little windy told me." She sighs. "So I assume you three did as well?" She turns to us.

Considering how Rachel and Melissa begin to blush, the answer was obvious.

Rachel: "Yes, I did, and I hope I get the chance to do so again." She says sounding like a proper lady.

Melissa: "Mn, Robin k-kissed me too." She says covering half of her face with her hoodie.

Lisa: "Well I kissed him first." She crosses her arms.

Yukio: "Oh boy, sounds like Robin had an eventful day." She chuckles. "Just to clarify, I kissed him too so I'm not falling behind. How about you Clare, you make any progress yet? I bet he gave you that scarf." She smirks.

I feel my cheeks go red and I get a bit confused when I remember he was my brother, but I feel warm again with I realize he was my brother.

Clarissa: "W-We should really hurry inside, what if Robin's in danger?" I ask, trying to change the topic.

Melissa: "Yes! We must save Robin." She says eagerly.

Lisa: "I know you're trying to change the topic, but I'll let you off the hook for now." She says mercifully.

Rachel: "But I for one am curious, did you attempt to kiss him as well?" She asks curiously. 

I could tell that everyone's ears were on me, even if some were purposefully slowly reaching  for the door.

Clarissa: "T-There were no kisses." I finally concede, and they all look some parts relieved and disappointed. "But...he did smile at me." I say beginning to blush. 

That smile was the most beautiful thing I had ever seen and had become my most favourite sight. Because even in our past life he rarely smiled, so I smiled enough for the both of us and cherished the moments he smiled.

Then I realize everyone was looking at me in disbelief.

Lisa: "There's no way..." She says unsurely.

Yukio: "It's the winter holidays, anything could happen." She says with a chuckle.

Melissa: "Was it pretty?"

Rachel: "What did you do to make him smile?" She asks curiously, asking the question everyone was clearly thinking.

Clarissa: "I think we forgot about the explosion earlier, let's get going." I say quickly, pushing through the door. "Woh-woah!" I exclaim as I flail my arms to stop myself from falling.

I feel someone grab my arm and quickly pull me back from the bottomless pit that's just past the front door.

I fall backwards with the other person behind me.

Yukio: "I guess I should have told you the wind said there's a trap past this door, sorry about that." She says nonchalantly from behind me.

Rachel: "Are you guys alright?" She asks holding her hand out to me.

Clarissa: "Why are you guys so calm right now?!" I ask beginning to panic as I pull myself up.

Lisa: "What do you mean?" She asks with a look of confusion.

As I turn to everyone else I see that they're all confused as well.

Clarissa: "Don't you see that Robin's in danger?! And didn't you suggest we go in already?!" I ask Yukio.

Yukio: "I did didn't I..." She mumbles. "Why did I stop you?" She asks me.

Clarissa: "What?! How should I know, why are you all acting so strangely?!" I ask them all as they all look at me with neutral faces.

Rachel: "I think you should calm down Clarissa." She says in a gentle voice.

Melissa: "Mn, you're being scary." She says moving behind Rachel.

Lisa: "Aren't you the strange one here?" She crosses her arms.

I didn't like what was happening, aside from their strange behaviour the way they were looking at me was strange to. Their eyes were ostracizing me, like I wasn't one of them.

The past memories of this month begin to surround me. The way people spoke behind my back, those pranks they pulled when I was alone, the words that made me doubt my place with my friends, it was suffocating.

I felt small in their presence and I felt like I was all alone.

But both Nathaniel and Robin's words ring in my head.

'I will always be there for you.'

Robin said that to me today, and Nathaniel said that on the day our parents died. He hasn't changed since then, and neither has my love for him.

The thought of him clears my head and the scarf he gave helps calm me down, I take a deep breath.

Clarissa: "Robin is in danger right now, don't you guys want to save him?" I ask them with much more confidence than before.

Something seems to click inside of each of the girls and I swear I see a flicker of purple in their eyes.

Yukio: "What do I want?" She asks almost breathlessly. "Robin."

Rachel: "Robin."

Melissa: "Robin."

Lisa: "Robin."

They all repeat robotically.

Clarissa: "Wha-What's going on you guys?" I ask taking a step back.

They all turn to each other and for a flicker of a second, I feel an intense bloodlust. Then they begin to smile at each other.

Lisa: "Don't we all want Robin?"

Rachel: "Yes."

Melissa: "Big family."

Yukio: "Polygamy."

Then they all turn to me at the same time, and I can clearly see purple lining their iris's. There was something familiar in that purple, like I've experienced it before.

Lisa: "Don't you want Robin too?"
Rachel: "Don't you want Robin too?"
Melissa:"Don't you want Robin too?"
Yukio:"Don't you want Robin too?"
They all ask at the same time with enticing purple eyes that encourage me to say what I desire.

What I want to say is obvious, but the words get stuck in my throat, the words I know I shouldn't be allowed to say. So I say something I desire equally as much.

Clarissa: "I want to always be by his side." I say resolutely. "And I want you to leave my friends alone!" I shout to the beings that are possessing my friends.

All of them freeze at my shout and begin to twitch. I could sense that whatever was inside of the girls were struggling, and I could also sense a tingling in my body.

As I try to figure out how to free my friends, my hands begin to glow. Is this the 'I had this power all along but just needed the right situation in order to unlock it' situation?

I try my luck and point my open hands towards the girls, nothing happens. Do I need to say some kind of spell?

Clarissa: "Uh, Expelliarmus!" I shout a spell from a movie called Hairless Potter.

I'm not actually sure if I said the right spell, or what the spell did in the first place, but a stream of light shoots from my hands and into the girls.

They all release bloodcurdling demonic screeches that make me want to cover my ears but I manage to keep my hands pointed at them.

The screaming finally ends and they slump onto the floor. Yukio is the first to gasp awake and look around frantically.

Yukio: "I want Robin to dominate me, not you!" She yells furiously.

I raise a brow at her words and she finally notices me, and turns red immediately. She stomps towards me and I raise my hands in surrender.

Clarissa: "I didn't hear a thing!" I quickly exclaim.

She raises her hand and I'm quick to shield myself, then she slaps me heartily on my shoulder. I look at her while rubbing my shoulder and see her grinning.

Yukio: "I'm not sure what you did but good job!" She says with a thumbs up.

Clarissa: "Eh?"

The others begin to get up as well and steady themselves. They walk over to us with varied relived looks.

Rachel: "You really saved us there Clare." She smiles.

Melissa rushes towards me and gives me a hug.

Melissa: "You're a hero!" She exclaims happily.

Clarissa: "Thanks Melissa." I chuckle as I pat her head. "But what did I save you guys from?" I ask them.

Lisa: "Cupios." She says seriously. "Demons that specialize in controlling a person using their desires. A person doesn't know they're being possessed since they dwell in their subconscious and only encourage a person to fulfill their desires until they are willing to give up their body to do so. I'm not sure how long we were possessed for but thank you for freeing us before we gave up full control." She ends with a smile towards me.

The group is surprised for a moment after the explanation and shudder in fear. But they shake it off and smile at me making me feel reassured.

I had my friends back.

Clarissa: "How come you know so much about this demon?" I ask curiously.

Lisa flinches at the question and puts on a bitter look.

Lisa: "Robin's parents were killed by one, I researched how to protect him from them and how we could avenge them as a kid, I still do too."

We're a bit startled at this revelation but I could sense the sympathy from everyone.

Lisa: "That doesn't matter right now, we need to find Robin immediately." She says marching back to the door.

Clarissa: "Yes! Finally!" I breathe a sigh of relief and walk up beside her.

Rachel: "Shouldn't we get the teachers?" She asks, stopping us.

Yukio: "Do you know how far away from the school we are? We need to make sure Robin is safe and we need to do it now." She says sounding more determined than when she first said suggested to find Robin. "Besides, they're probably frozen too." She adds.

Rachel hesitates for a moment but grips her sword tightly.

Rachel: "I agree." She says walking up to us.

It was just Melissa now who was standing back with trembling legs.

Melissa: "But...demons." She says looking afraid.

While the others begin to take a step forward and try to convince her to come with us, I immediately dash in front of her and crouch down enough to give the small girl a hug.

She reminded me of myself in my past life whenever I was afraid, Nathaniel would always be the one to give me a hug to make me feel safe.

With that thought in mind, I could sense that Melissa was growing calmer.

Clarissa: "I know this will be scary, but Robin is in danger, we need to save him." I say as I pull back enough to watch her face

Her bottom lip trembles and I could see in her eyes that she wanted to go help Robin, but she was just didn't have the confidence.

Which brought another memory into mind.

Clarissa: "This is your chance to show Robin you're a big girl, I'm sure he'll praise you for your bravery." I smile confidently.

Nathaniel's approval was always what I yearned for back then, and I always wanted him to acknowledge me as a big girl, but in the end I was always just his little sister.

A fact that was bittersweet.

Melissa's trembling stops and she looks up to me with newfound confidence, I could even see the make believe star in her eyes.

Melissa: "Save Robin, get praised." She says with a nod and without a hint of fear, marching up to the others.

I'm not sure how my convincing worked so well but I'm glad it did.

Lisa: "Are you done? Let's go already." She says impatiently.

Rachel: "We really can't afford any more delays." She adds.

Clarissa: "Alright, let's go save Robin." I grin as I walk up to them.

Yukio then slings her arm around me and tilts us away from the others.

Yukio: "Tell anybody what I said when I woke up and you're dead, got it?" She whispers threateningly.

Clarissa: "Y-Yup, got it." I nod quickly.

Lisa: "What are you two doing?!" She stamps her feet.

Yukio: "Nothing nothing." She says letting go of me. "Here we come Robin!" She yells as she kicks down the door.

We all quickly grab her and pull ourselves back and onto the ground.

Lisa: "Did you forget about the pit?!" She fumes.

Yukio: "Oh, right, ehehe, whoops." She says with her tongue sticking out.

Lisa: "This is not the time to act cute! And now you've gotten my coat dirty!" She continues to fume.

Rachel: "Uh guys? The pit is gone." She points out.

We all look at the normal looking hallway that lies behind the door and get up.

Clarissa: "Is the wind telling you anything about this?" I ask Yukio.

Yukio: "About that, I can't use the wind right now. Everything seems frozen, including the wind remember?" She says scratching her head. "I've got nothing but my magic and baton, what about you?" She asks as a black cylinder slides from her sleeve and into her hand.

Rachel: "Oh yeah, what is your weapon of choice? I don't think I've ever seen you fight before." She looks at me curiously.

Lisa: "Are we seriously wasting time doing last minute check ups?" She asks tapping her foot.

Clarissa: "Don't worry about me, you'll see when the time comes." I grin confidently as I think about the sword Robin had entrusted to me.

Melissa: "Robin! We're coming!" She exclaims suddenly as she run a through the door before anyone can stop her.

Yukio: "Melissa! Wait up!" She yells as she begins to run after her.

Everyone else gives each other a glance and begin to run as well. When I take my first step into the building I feel a heavy unease in my stomach. I shake it off and continue to run.

We end up running for an unknown amount of time in this seemingly never ending hallway. We pass by a clock, the same clock, several times and each time it reads 11:10, time really has stopped.

I could sense that everyone was feeling uneasy in this strange house, but the heated determination to save Robin burned through that unease.

Finally, a door appears in front of us. Without any hesitation, Yukio kicks down the door. There isn't any endless abyss this time, just a cozy looking living room.

And a single figure sitting on a couch.

Grace: "The heroines finally arrive." She says excitedly.

Lisa: "Grace! What have you done with Robin?!" She yells as her hands begin to glow red.

Yukio: "Explain yourself!" She yells as she professionally extends her baton with one flick of the wrist.

Melissa: "Mean girl! Where's Robin?!" She asks as several magic circles appear on her back.

Rachel: "I'd rather not harm you Grace so you best explain yourself." She says calmly with a glare as she readies her sword.

Grace: "My my, eager are we?" She asks nonchalantly as she rises from her seat.

She turns around and shows her natural sweet smile.

Grace: "And it seems that you've changed the script, what happen to those demons?" She asks curiously.

Clarissa: "Enough of these games Grace! Take this seriously and tell us what's going on!" I yell desperately, I don't want to see her hurt.

Grace drops her smile, and a wave of anger makes us flinch. She looked angry, and I've never seen her angry before.

Grace: "Do you really think I'm not taking this seriously? I am putting my all into this final act of mine! How dare you say otherwise." She says as a crackle of purple electricity appears behind her in a circle.

Suddenly the room begins to extend, twist, turn, shift in unpredictable worlds.

Grace: "This world was personally created by me! I have put everything that I am into this stage, and I don't care that you've thrown away your script, we'll just have to do some improvising." She says as all of us remain in place as the space around us changes chaotically.

Yukio: "What the hell is happening?!" She yells.

Rachel: "I-I'm not sure." She says unsteadily.

Melissa: "We must save Robin!" She says looking just as determined and the least afraid out of all of us.

Lisa: "GRACE!" She yells her name in a burst of anger as she shoots a large stream of fire from her hands, the target being obvious.

Clarissa: "No!" I yell as this occurs.

Grace does nothing, and I sense something strange happen. Suddenly, Grace appears floating in the air as the fire stream continues down the small yet never ending room.

Grace: "A fiery temper as always." She says nonchalantly. "The time hasn't come yet so wait your turn." She says as she begins to float away.

Yukio: "Don't you run away!" She yells getting just as angered as Lisa.

Grace: "Go play with pride and envy, but make sure to not die just yet." She says, ignoring Yukio. "The final scene has yet to come." She says with a smirk creeping on her lips.

Clarissa: "You're being possessed too right?! I can help you!" I yell to her as I try to Will my hands to light up again.

It works and I get ready to use it on Grace.

Grace: "I don't want your help." She says coldly as she shoots me a glance, and my hands stop glowing.

Clarissa: "No no, come on magic hands don't turn off now." I say to myself.

Grace: "I don't think you get it Clare." She says turning to me, her hand raised towards us. "Even if I am possessed, I am only doing what I desire the most. This is all I ever wanted for the past ten years." She says seriously.

It's only now do I realize the others have froze in place, Grace must have frozen them when she told us to go play, it would have been the last thing they heard before unfreezing.

This meant I was left alone with the one who calls herself the villainess.

The mood seems to change as she begins to appraise me.

Grace: "You are the perfect main heroine you know? Your naivety and passion really brings in that main girl material this story so desperately needs." She says looking at me like I was just an actor. "Nice scarf by the way, you look a lot like Robin now."

I ignore that last part.

Clarissa: "What are you saying right now?" I ask as I get ready to summon my sword.

Grace: "I'm saying that I finally get to witness my final scene, you wouldn't understand. And this isn't the time for the villainess to start her monologue, that's reserved for the hero." She begins to smirk devilishly.

Is she talking about Robin? She has to be. But before I can ask about anything, she begins to speak again.

Grace: "The final act, not even a minute long, how interesting." She says to the clock that appears in her hand.

She places it on the ground and I notice it's the clock from earlier. Grace then turns to me with a blank look.

Grace: "This will be the last time you see me, play your role well please." She requests politely.

The strange feeling from earlier appears again as Grace begins to turn away from me. For only just a second, I spot a glimpse of a silver necklace.

Then we're in a new room and Grace is gone from sight. The others seem to unfreeze as well and don't seem to notice the fact that they were frozen.

This room was large as well, but rather barren.

Rachel: "Where are we now?" She asks with her sword at the ready.

Yukio: "I don't know but be on guard." She warns.

Lisa: "I'm going to kill that bitch." She say clenching her fists.

Melissa: "Language." She frowns.

I open my mouth to tell them what just happened, but a single tick of a clock interrupts me.

Then two silver haired girls appear in front of us. These girls were familiar, and they had purple energy surrounding them, especially around their eyes. All of us turn to them preparing for an attack.

Elizabeth: "I'm all he needs." She says menacingly.

Leticia: "None of you are fair." She says sadly, yet her words still manages to send a shiver down my spine.

Yukio: "I know we're competing and all, but this is going to far don't you think?" She asks the two while trying to sound jovial.

Six different magic circles appear behind Leticia and Elizabeth appears to have purple claws longer than knives instead of nails. There wasn't a doubt in anyone's minds, they were going to attack.

Clarissa: "These two aren't themselves, make sure not to hurt them." I tell the others as my sword I've dubbed 'Gift' forms in my hands from thousands of small thin blue lines.

They all look at me in surprise but turn to face our current enemy.

Melissa: "Yukio and Rachel, lend me your magic power, Lisa, prepare to shoot your strongest spell when I say, Clare, stand in front of us on guard." She commands us in a serious voice.

We're all taken aback for a moment at the small girl's sudden professional sounding command but we all quickly does as she asks.

Yukio and Rachel place their hands on Melissa's back, after crouching down because of her height, and Lisa starts creating a large red magic circle in front of us. And I stand in front of them all with the sword Robin had entrusted to me all those years ago.

Leticia: "Can I take your places?" She asks as the circles behind her grow.

Elizabeth: "I will be enough for him!" She shouts as she crouches down low, preparing to dash towards us.

Melissa: "Fire now Lisa!" She shouts as six magic circles of the six main elements appear above us and mirror Leticia's while surrounding Lisa's circle.

Lisa: "[Phoenix Blast!]" She yells as a large bird made of fire emerges from her circle.

As this happens Leticia launches her own attack without any words and so does Melissa. The sight before me amazes me.

The Phoenix flies in between the six elements from Melissa and absorbs them causing it to change colours over and over before colliding into Leticia's own six element blast.

The blast from the collision almost launches me off my feet but my eyes quickly dart to the feral Elizabeth that was already in front of me.

Elizabeth: "I'M ALL HE NEEDS!" She shouts before attacking me with her claws.

I raise my sword to block.

I manage to block it but the force of her attack catches me off guard and sends me flying into the others.

Rachel manages to catch me and sets me on my feet as we watch as the two magical attacks begin to cancel each other out.

Melissa: "No way, that was my strongest attack." She says in disbelief.

Lisa: "That was my strongest attack, what just happened?!" She yells.

Melissa: "Oh, well I used Yukio and Rachel's magical power since I don't have the affinities to their element in order to summon the spells I couldn't use and I used your attack to merge with mine in order to strengthen it, that spell should have been strong enough to kill a normal dragon in one hit." She explains proudly.

All of us look at the small girl in surprise.

Yukio: "Where did you learn how to do that?"

Melissa: "Anthony taught me after I asked him to make me strong enough to protect Robin, do you think he'll praise me for this?" She says with a cute blush.

Rachel: "So you're saying Leticia's attack was as strong as ours combined?" She asks worriedly.

Melissa eyes widen as if she just realized this fact.

Melissa: "Yeah." She begin to sulk.

Lisa: "Guys?! I think you're all forgetting about the two demonic entities in front of us!" She yells as she summons a wall of flames in front of us.

Elizabeth cuts through flames but this time me and Rachel are there to strike back. We meet her attack head on with ours and manage to send her flying back.

But suddenly several blades of wind appear and tear the rest of the wall to shreds. Yukio manages to counter it with wind blades of her own but a twirling beam of black and white appears from directly above.

Melissa reacts quickly and creates a dark and light shield above us and maintains it until the beam ends. But we all still feel the pressure from the attack despite the barrier.

In this short breather I notice that both me and Rachel's hands are shaking from Elizabeth's attack. Even the others seem to have exhaust a good amount of their mana supply.

While Leticia and Elizabeth stand beside each other looking completely fine. Are we really going to be able to beat these two who are being boosted by demonic power?

Suddenly, a door appears on the ceiling and a person falls through. The person everyone here wanted to see at this moment.

Robin: "Just dropping in." He says as he lands, then he sighs. "I'm really starting to hate doors, I've run out of good puns."

Girls: "Robin!"

Robin: "Girls?" He asks looking slightly surprised as he looks up.

He takes a step towards us but swiftly turns to face Elizabeth and Leticia with his sword drawn. He looked ready to strike them down, but I could sense that he was hesitating.

Clarissa: "They're being possessed by demons! If we can restrain them I can save them!" I yell at Robin quickly before he harms them.

Robin: "Good." He says flatly.

I could tell the others wanted to say things to Robin but the silver haired duo releases an even stronger aura than before.

Elizabeth: "Let me show you that I am better than everyone else!" She yells as her body crackles with purple electricity.

Leticia: "If I show you I'm stronger than them, can I take their place?" She asks as she begins to float in the air and summons a bunch of magic circles that crackle with purple electricity.

Robin: "I promise that I'll save you all." He mumbles before charging at the two.

Clarissa: "Girls! We have to support him!" I rally them.

Rachel: "On it." She says dashing to Robin's side.

Lisa: "You don't have to tell me twice!" She yells as she conjures several layers of red magic circles around her wrists.

Yukio: "Dammit, I feel kinda useless here." She mutters as she summons some wind blades. "Offensive magic isn't really my forte." She chuckles and she clutches her baton.

Melissa: "Praise me after this Robin!" She shouts as several small balls of unstable magic appears around her.

Grace was no where to be seen, and she could be watching us at this very moment...

I draw my sword and whisper a spell as an invigorating wave washes over me, I make sure the others receive the same blessing and notice that they've all recovered some of their strength.

...So I'll make sure we put on a show.
————

I know this is a very late chapter, but I just haven't felt like writing recently. There's been a huge spike in COVID cases where I live and I've missed out on quite a few things. It's the usual excuse I'm sure, but an apology is all I can offer. Also, it's seeming like the end isn't it? Well, maybe it is, maybe it isn't, what's for sure is the finale will be one 'Hell' of a chapter. I'll probably end up focusing on this one until it's over. Anyways, see you next chapter!

Potato: "I haven't slept in the last thirty seven hours."

Razer: "That's a random thing to say, but why are you doing this to yourself?"

Potato: "Ever heard of this one game called Azur lane? Maybe even Arknights? How about Genshin impact?"

Razer: "Yeah, why?"

Potato: "Basically, I've been playing a lot of Clash Royale." He says as the distinct sound of 'Hee hee haw' emits from his phone.

Razer: "What's that got to do with those other games?"

*Suddenly, a series of anime girl noises come from Potato's phone*

Potato: "It's like the siren's call Razer, I refuse to spend thousands of dollars on anime girls."

Razer slowly pulls out his own phone with a frown and the same series of noises ring out.

Razer: "It's inevitable Potato, accept it. Say goodbye to your life savings."

Potato: "If I can survive NNN, I can resist the calls of the SSR anime girls." He says as he gets three crowned by a guy named Alan.

???: "Ara Ara Potato-san~, how long can you keep up that defence?" A seductive anime woman says from Potato's phone.

Potato: "Hah! Jokes on you! I'm only into li- [Redacted for legal reasons]" He shouts to his phone.

His phone flashes and the screen changes.

Very much legal anime girl yes: "Potato Nii-Chan~ don't you want to get your very own kawaii little sister?"

Potato: "Oh no, I...can't...resist..." He says as his finger hovers above the draw 10x.

Razer watches as his friend slowly sinks into the realm of gacha hell and can only hope his luck holds out.

Will Potato survive the calls of cute anime girls? Find out next time on...

The life of a Potato! (I.e next chapter)

I'm currently in the middle of a bet with a friend to see who can stay up the longest and upon the publishing of this chapter we'll be close to hitting the thirty eight hour mark so I apologize for the very strange...bonus scene? Yeah, sure that, and I should also add that I'm not actually into little girls, I swear, Mr.FBI man please believe me, so don't take me seriously please. I'm not like this IRL I promise. I'm stretching this out for way too long so good bye!

Now to make some more coffee.

Date of chapter completion: January 4th
Word count: 8736

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

348 32 5
I've always yearned to be at the top, who doesn't really? But it's different for me. Being the best wasn't a dream or a goal, it was an obsession. An...
1M 33.9K 91
(Highest Ranked: #24 in Fantasy/Magic) THIS IS AN ORIGINAL STORY (2nd Book is already up on my Profile; This one is Complete) I died and when I woke...
5.4K 267 17
Walking on your home from your shift while playing your favorite otome game,you get dashed by a car only to end up in the game as an extra life. You...
270 40 24
Deadbeat incel loser experiences the final breaking point and dies a wanted death. Only to find himself in a strange predicament. In a new world, wit...