Odd One Out

Από secretstothewind

Oddball Mabel has always been quirky. Maybe it's due to the fact that she was homeschooled or perhaps it was... Περισσότερα

Chapter One - Her Moans
Chapter Two - His Laugh
Chapter Three - Her Stomach
Chapter Four - His Guidance
Chapter Five - Her Training
Chapter Six - His Defence
Chapter Seven - Her Determination
Chapter Eight - His Teachings
Chapter Nine - Her Self Care
Chapter Ten - His Night Out
Chapter Eleven - Her Practice
Chapter Twelve - His Hurting Heart
Chapter Thirteen - Her Plan
Chapter Fourteen - His Personalized Emojis
Chapter Fifteen - Her Wake Up Call
Chapter Sixteen - His First Aid Training
Chapter Seventeen - Her Driving Instructor
Chapter Eighteen - His Shopping
Chapter Nineteen - Her Answers
Chapter Twenty - His Crappy Feelings
Chapter Twenty Two - His Feelings
Chapter Twenty Three - Her Date
Chapter Twenty Four - His Friends
Chapter Twenty Five - Her Interrogation
Chapter Twenty Six - His Parenting Techniques
Chapter Twenty Seven - Her Hangout
Chapter Twenty Eight - His Decision
Chapter Twenty Nine - Her Family Gathering
Chapter Thirty - His Snooping
Chapter Thirty One - Her Confrontation
Chapter Thirty Two - His Dog
Chapter Thirty Three - Her Dinner
Chapter Thirty Four - His Kiss
Chapter Thirty Five - Her Intervention
Chapter Thirty Six - His Memory
Chapter Thirty Seven - Her Confession
Chapter Thirty Eight - His Love
Chapter Thirty Nine - Her Late Night Visits
Chapter Forty - His Surprise
Chapter Forty One - His Guilt
Chapter Forty Two - Her Conviction
Chapter Forty Three - His Sleeping Arrangements
Chapter Forty Four - Her Visitor
Chapter Forty Five - His Overactive Dog
Chapter Forty Six - Her Phone Call
Chapter Forty Seven - His Visitor
Chapter Forty Eight - Her Permission
Chapter Forty Nine - His Letter
Chapter Fifty - Her Love; His Love

Chapter Twenty One - Her Prep

3.2K 225 18
Από secretstothewind

"Okay, booze for me," Amanda announced as she entered my apartment, "and Xanax for you."

I narrowed my eyes at her, "So thoughtful, Amanda." But I took the bottle anyway and pocketed it because at the rate my heart was going, I wasn't sure I was going to make it the night.

"Kidding, kidding! I brought you super sprinkled donuts." She pulled out a brown bag and I jumped at it, pulling out a doughnut with sprinkles covering every literal inch of it.

"How on earth did you do this?" I gasped as I bit into the sugary dough.

"I badgered the bakery boy for thirty minutes and when that didn't work, I began to scare people away with horror stories of food poisoning from donuts. He was not happy. Seriously, I'm banned from ever returning."

"Aww, Amanda. You big softie, you," I grinned at her.

"Yeah, yeah. Don't get used to it. That's still Connie for us." She plopped onto my couch. "Where is our golden girl anyway? Is she late?"

I shrugged, "Beats me."

Amanda pulled out her phone and dialled a number quickly. "Oh hey, Con. Whatcha up to? Oh, running late you say? Because I'm here at five thirty on the dot because someone specified the importance of punctuality. Who might this wise, elder have been? Hmm? Any recollection there, Con-Con?"

I laughed, enjoying Connie's perfect record being tarnished for a moment.

"Was that you by any chance? No, it couldn't have been," Amanda proceeded. It was times like this that I could really see how Amanda's parents were big shot lawyers. She could really grill people.

My front door opened at that moment and Connie walked in, phone still on her ear. "Your Gucci-Prada-Chanel-what's it called watch must be off. I'm right on time." She hung up her phone and turned to me with a smile. "Hey, Mabel."

Amanda sifted through my closet as Connie lay flat on my bed and stared at my ceiling.

"You okay, Con?" I asked, weirded out by her late arrival and quiet demeanour.

Without making eye contact she responded quickly, "Yeah."

I furrowed my eyebrows and looked at Amanda who poked her head out of my closet. She shrugged her shoulders and continued her sifting.

"You two can stop making eyes at each other," Connie stated sitting up and leaning on her elbows as she glared at us. "I told you I was fine."

"Fine," Amanda responded, putting her hands up in defeat.

Amanda turned to me and made a 'she's crazy' motion with her finger to her head.

"Amanda," Connie scolded.

"What?" Amanda laughed, "I wasn't talking about you. Mabel and I are talking about someone else. Who's moping on a bed."

"I don't mope," Connie grumbled, laying back down.

"We're just worried, Connie," I conceded, sitting down on the bed next to her.

"I'm fine, Mabel." Connie crossed her arms over her chest. It was all so out of character for her. I couldn't help feeling taken aback.

"How's your internship going anyway?" I asked Connie and she sat up frustratedly.

"Everything's going just super, Mabel," She snapped.

I felt my heart clench. I hated when people were upset with me. I always prodded too much.  I didn't know when to stop asking questions.

Amanda stepped out of my closet holding a little black dress that she tossed onto the bed. "I think this will look great on you."

I grabbed the hanger and walked into my bathroom, slipping on the black dress and not even noticing what it was. I felt sad and not in the mood to go out with my soulmate. I felt this unnerving need to know why Connie was upset. Even when she was upset, she was never snappy. This was so out of character for her.

I walked back out to Amanda holding out a pair of strappy heels. I slid them on and grabbed my phone.

"You look perfect!" Amanda gushed putting her hands together, but it didn't sound natural coming from her. She was the one who was supposed to remind me of the self defence moves we learned in a class that she made Connie and I attend. This was supposed to be Connie.

"I can stay home if you guys want? We can watch a movie?" I asked a little unsure of what I should be doing right now.

"Nope. You go meet your Prince Charming. Connie and I are going to go for a walk. A very long week," Amanda stated rigidly, her eyes set on our friend.

Connie cleared her throat, "I'm sorry, Mabel. I'm in a... bad mood. I really think you'll have a blast and you look beautiful as always."

I smiled at her, happy to have my friend back, if not somewhat subdued. "Thanks, Con," I whispered.

Amanda stood up and tugged Connie's arm up along with her. They hugged me and wished me good luck before leaving my apartment.

I sighed, looking at my phone. It was six and I had a half an hour to waste, so I grabbed my letters that I had made the day before and threw on a jacket before heading next door. I knocked on the door and waited until Marcus cracked it open.

"Mabel," He cleared his throat nervously, his eyes trailing down the length of my dress. "Hey."

"Hey," I smiled at him as he opened the door all the way so that I could walk in ahead of him.

"You're heading out soon?" He asked as he walked into the kitchen. "Coffee?"

I nodded brightly, "Yes, please!" I straightened my dress as I sat down. "I'm going out. Out out."

"Like you have something you want to tell me, out?"

"I guess? I'm going out with Jackson tonight." I explained.

He chuckled, "Not what I meant, Maybie. I'm happy for you if you're happy. You deserve it."

He walked over to me with a mug and I raised an eyebrow that A. He had mugs at all and B. The type of mug he held out to me.

"Is that... a donut mug?!" I enthusiastically accepted the cup that we had spotted together at Walmart before everything went to the crapper with Ethan.

He smiled softly at me, "Yeah. Only one though."

I grinned taking a sip. "Aww, Marcus. Thank you!" He had really just put in the best mood. I was now ready to conquer my fear. I could take on this huge milestone in my life, finally.

"So where are you going?" He asked as he sat down next to me.

I pulled out my phone and opened Jackson's texts to show him. Also, I was right. Everything tasted great in this cup.

He raised an eyebrow, grabbing the device from my hands. "What's with the emojis?"

I shrugged, "I like giving emojis to people I talk to."

"So wait," He trailed moving his fingers along my phone, "Does that mean that I have emojis?"

"Yeah," I laughed. "Why?"

He burst out laughing, "Why am I a sixty nine?"

"A sixty nine?" I leaned over to peak at the phone, "it's a cancer zodiac sign! You're a cancer!"

"It's also kinda sexual, Maybie."

I frowned, crossing my arms with my donut cup still clutched tightly.

Marcus chuckled, "I'm going to give you emojis now." He pulled out his phone and began to scroll away.

"You are? What is it?" I craned my neck to catch a glimpse of it but he pulled his phone away, hiding it against his chest.

"Nah. You can't see this."

"Marcus! I showed you mine!"

"That was a bad move, Maybie."

I humphed as my phone buzzed.

Jackson 🏈🏋️‍♂️👩‍❤️‍👨: I'm downstairs. What's your apartment number so I can meet you upstairs like a proper gentleman?

I smiled looking over at Marcus who was still busy choosing emojis for me, a smile on his face as he fidgeted with the images. I couldn't explain why I didn't want Jackson meeting Marcus.

Mabel: chivalry is overrated. I'll meet you downstairs.

I stood up, smoothing my dress out and Marcus put his phone down next to him to look at me.

"What emojis did you choose for me?" I wondered.

He smiled mischievously at me, "You'll never know."

I shuffled uncomfortably on my feet, "I, um, wanted to give you something before I headed out." I reached into my bag, tugging out the letters and handing them over.

Marcus held onto the envelopes in confusion so I continued, "I know, it's kind of lame, but I wanted you to know that I'm here for you even when you don't want me to be there." And with that, I walked out to meet my golden boy waiting downstairs.

Συνέχεια Ανάγνωσης

Θα σας αρέσει επίσης

1.6M 45.1K 69
SEQUEL to THE COACH'S DAUGHTER. Complete. One fateful night changed it all. Since being thrown in each other's worlds, Amelia and Zack have jumped ov...
Cynical Souls Από DramaQueenforreal

Εφηβική Φαντασία

3.7K 93 29
COMPLETED✅ Two high school teenagers finding themselves, analyzing this ever changing world, and building love. This is the type of love you wish you...
3.7M 70.4K 10
Highest rank #1 in humor [30 chapters] The hermit Ryder Quin never thought that one day, her crush of three years now, the very handsome Aiden Cale...
1.7K 97 44
"So what did you think of the assignment?" He persisted in getting an answer but Bailey had another conversation already in mind. "I noticed you loo...