Sailing With Destiny

By Bookworm_Tina

"Do you have any idea how damn frustrating you are?" He trapped me between him and the wall. Stubbornly, I l... More

Preface
Paris
Pont des Arts
Monte Carlo
Sumptuous Repast
BlackJack
St Tropez
Friend or Foe
Provoke
Morning Coffee
Portofino
Kayak
Kiss it Better
Tuscany
Off-route: London
Brotherly Things
The Marino's
Frustration
Corsica
Cherry
Ibiza
A Night in Ibiza
Costa Blanca
Cupcakes
Cumpleaños
Fiesta
Old Wounds
Homebound
Vacation Over
New York
Bubbles and Beer
Petty
Class Day
Celebrate
Priorities
A Magical Day
Intern
Millie Bee
Summit
That Escalated
Ego
Liquid Courage
Predicament
Corporate Sexy
Dinner at Dad's 2.0
Anti-Mila
Voice of Reason
Fragile
Talk To Me
A Little Better
Not What You Need
Revelation And Secrets
Forgive Me?
Space
The Night Begins
Can The Night End Already
I don't Know You Anymore
He's Still My Friend
I Got You, Always
Wedding Date
Friends
The Calm
Before
The Storm
I Promise
I Hate Halloween
Best Friend or Girlfriend?
Decisions, Decisions
I Can't Live Without You
I Will Survive
Nostalgic
Holiday Surprises
I Trusted You
I Trusted You Too
A Mental Maze
Always
Mark My Words
Call It Destiny

I Hate My Birthday

925 43 164
By Bookworm_Tina

I thought after gifting me a pricey present, Mitchell would've stepped back a little from being extravagant but I was wrong. The five-star restaurant we visited resembled a culturally rich palace in Europe.

The dining hall we walked through to get to a private room screamed refined opulence. We stepped through double doors into the intimate private room which occupied one rounded table that seated only eight people with two waiters, a personal chef, and a harpist. 

The sumptuous décor looked like a dining hall of Old World London and Paris, freshly cut flowers adorned the table set with fine Italian linen that held  Bernardaud china and Sambonet silverware. The rotunda room boasted a hand-painted dome that sat high in the center of the room dimly lit with candles, a harpist played a somber tune in the corner of the room which added to the luxurious, romantic feel. 

"Wow," I breathed as I looked around the room. 

Mitchell tugged on my arm that was looped through his and I felt his gaze on me. "Do you like it?"

"Like?" I looked at him in disbelief. "I love it but this is all too –"

Mitchell placed a finger over my lips and hushed me. "As I said, we're going to celebrate every minute of your birthday and make it memorable."

"Did I just enter a different realm?" Wang broke our moment and spoke loudly. "I feel like I should've worn leggings, gloves, and perhaps a cloak instead of a jacket and pants."

"Yeah, and I should've pulled out my ballroom gown," Faith added with a small laugh. 

"When Mitchy is in love, he goes all out," Kate mused and tapped her brother's shoulder with a grin. "Although this is a whole other level."

"Yeah, pizza would've sufficed," I commented. I was simple, I didn't need fine dining or anything fancy to celebrate and I hoped Kate understood that. 

"Nonsense," Kate waved my statement off. "For making my brother brood less than normal, you deserve the best."

"That's true, he really does brood less these days," Greg remarked. 

Mitchell scowled at everyone. "I should've just planned this with Mila."

"You'll have your time together after dinner," Owen grinned. "For now, let's eat, I'm starving."

Everyone made their way to their seats and Mitchell took a step forward but I held him back, he glanced at me with slightly furrowed brows. I earnestly smiled, leaned forward, and pecked his cheek. "Thank you," I glanced around the room for a moment before I met his gaze again. "For today and... everything."

Mitchell grinned and lovingly caressed my cheekbone with the pad of his thumb. "Anything for you."

I playfully rolled my eyes. "Ugh, all the sugar you consume has made its into your personality and making me sick."

Mitchell chuckled. "Who's being cheesy now?"

"Still you," I poked the dimple on his cheek. 

The smile never left Mitchell's face as he kissed the side of my head before we made our way to join the others. 

Like the gentleman he was, Mitchell pulled out my chair, waited for me to take a seat before he tucked my chair in, removed his blazer, and sat next to me. Just like me, Mitchell was dressed in all black and I couldn't stop myself from checking him out as he mindlessly rolled up his sleeves and rested one hand on the table while the other casually found my thigh under the table. 

To tease him, I glanced at his hand on my thigh and then up at him with a raised brow. Mitchell remained unaffected, he leaned in a little closer. "Is something wrong?"

"Social etiquette," I mimicked him under my breath and shoved his hand off.

Mitchell was caught off guard but as quickly as his hand slipped off, it was back on my thigh but this time, he slipped his hand under the slit of my dress and placed it directly on my skin. He maintained eye contact and his mouth twitched and formed a small smirk as he slowly squeezed my thigh.

He averted his attention to something Greg said and I grabbed the opportunity to remove his hand but without sparing me a glance, his grip tightened and his hand rid upwards to my upper thigh. 

"Shameless," I teased under my breath and gave up.

A gentleman smartly dressed arrived at our table with a bottle of 1961 Château Margaux red wine. Shortly after, the first course arrived and while everyone enjoyed caviar with Alaskan King Crab legs, I was served seared halloumi with peanut dukkah and honey complemented with a ricotta and almond filled carrot tart.

"You guys make a stunning couple," Hayden who sat opposite me warmly smiled. 

I felt the least bit stunning at that moment because she caught me with my mouth open ready to shove a forkful of the delicious tart in my mouth. 

"Um, thanks," I awkwardly replied. "Mitch covers the looks department while I take care of intelligence, a sense of humor etcetera."

"I think you cover all of the above, Mila," Kate remarked. "You've also added class to Mitchy's life."

"Excuse you, Kathryn," Owen was quick to defend his best friend. "I agree that Mila is a classy lady but don't forget that Mitch is the one who planned this exquisite dinner."

"And Faith has taught you big words," Kate taunted. 

"Thanks," Faith grinned at Kate in response.

Owen frowned at his wife, "Why are you agreeing with her?"

"She's just speaking the truth," Faith innocently shrugged and took a sip of wine. 

"You guys still bicker like kids," Greg shook his head. "Let's pretend to be adults and have a good evening."

"You and adult in one sentence is something I'd like to see," Hayden choked out. 

"Fall in love they said," Greg muttered under his breath. 

"It would be fun they said," Owen added which earned him a glare from Faith. 

Light-hearted chatter went around the table as two more courses arrived, everyone had a great time and the room filled with laughter and glee. The food was delicious and by the fourth course, I wasn't sure if I was able to fit in another four more. Thankfully, the servings were gourmet sized or I would've exploded. 

"I think you're more of a Belle than Cinderella," a tipsy Wang mused. "Aside from not being blonde, you're strong, independent, sees the best in everyone, and would go to the ends of the world for the people you love."

"Hmm," I hummed. "I never saw myself as any princess, I'd much rather be someone fun like Baloo from The Jungle Book or even Timone or Pumba."

"You're more like Sleeping Beauty," Mitchell who overheard mine and Wang's conversation added. "It's impossible to wake you."

"Have you tried a simple kiss?" Wang wriggled his brows with a smirk. 

"Yeah Mitch, your methods are just lame," I teased. 

"I could give you a few tips... if you'd like," Greg leaned back in his chair with a smug look. 

Poor Hayden blushed and warned him to be quiet with her eyes while Kate dropped her fork onto her plate and pulled her face in disgust. "I'm eating here."

"I like to call Faith my Snow White," Owen spontaneously added into the conversation. "Short dark hair, cute, and she's the fairest of them all."

Owen was evidently tipsy, in fact, all of us were and I didn't know how the topic of Disney characters came up. "I think Snow's prince charming is a necrophiliac," I casually said and took a sip of wine. "So is Sleeping Beauty's."

Owen choked, Greg and Hayden's eyes widened, Kate looked a little awkward while Wang, Faith, and Mitchell weren't affected by my statement. 

"Easy," Faith tapped Owen's back.

"This brings back memories," I suppressed my laughter as I took in Owen's red face while he tried to calm down. 

Owen cleared his throat, took a sip of water, and muttered, "I think my childhood has just been ruined."

"You watched Snow White and the Seven Dwarves?" Kate raised a brow.

"Yes, and I am not ashamed to admit it," Owen proudly responded. "But that's beside the point..." Owen trailed off and looked at me, perplexed, "Why would you say that?"

"Don't overreact," Mitchell casually responded on my behalf. "You get used to it."

"Think about it," I began to elaborate. "This prince dude pops out nowhere, sees a presumed dead girl in a coffin, and insists to kiss her. Does that sound like normal behavior to you?"  

"For all we know the kiss was just a censored version for kids, he might've taken a trip down her alley and the big O shocked her awake," I added as popped a cherry tomato in my mouth. 

Owen opened his mouth, closed it, ran a hand over his face, and opened his mouth to speak again. "Wow... how do you... huh?" He looked Mitchell's way for an explanation.  

"Don't look at me like that, you asked her to elaborate further," Mitchell flatly said. 

"Don't I make sense?" I looked around the table and other than Mitchell, Faith, and Wang, everyone was speechless and possibly a little traumatized. 

"Don't even get me started on Beauty and the Beast, it's clear Belle was a case of Stockholm Syndrome, Cinderella's chico clearly had a foot fetish and I find it a tad bit weird how obsessed he was about how small and possibly childlike her feet were," I pursed my lips. "Could he have been a pedophi-"

"Mila," Mitchell placed his hand over mine to cut me off. "Let's change the subject, hmm? I think you're scaring everyone."

"I don't think I can ever view fairytales the same again," Owen sounded horror-struck. "I don't even want to know what theories you have about Mickey Mouse and co."

"Don't," Mitchell quickly interjected. "Or Mila will think up something to fuck with your brain in a second."

"That's true," Faith agreed. 

"She ruined Tom and Jerry for me," Wang added. 

"How?" Owen choked out. 

"Do you not learn?" Mitchell scolded and I couldn't help but burst out laughing. I forgot how fun it was to mess with Owen. 

After our eight-course meal, Mitchell had one more surprise for me, a cake was brought out with lit candles and everyone sang happy birthday. My cheeks must've been scarlet from all the attention I got but with that, I felt warm and fuzzy on the inside from all the affection.

"They spelled Mila's name wrong," Greg pointed out. "It says Milo instead of Mila."

"They spelled it correctly," I laughed. 

"She's my Milo," Mitchell wrapped an arm around me and kissed my cheek. 

"Cute," Kate smiled. "But do you know that Milo is a beverage in some countries?"

"I heard that," Wang added. "A delicious, loved drink," he grinned suggestively at Mitchell and me. "Is there a double meaning, Mitch?"

"He gave me the name when he hated my mere existence," I pointed out. "And I called him Bi-" Mitchell cut me off by shoving a forkful of cake in my mouth. 

Dinner was great and it was even better to have everyone I held dear with. Mitchell truly made me feel like some princess and I didn't know how I could've measured up when his birthday arrived. When Mitchell and I were sort of nemesis, he went out to make my birthday special so I couldn't have been surprised when he went above and beyond now.

"I am so stuffed," I sighed and tapped my slightly protruding belly from our eight-course meal.

Mitchell placed his large palm over my stomach and chuckled. "Cute."

"Don't do that," I slapped his hand away and looked around to make sure no one noticed. "You're going to give everyone wrong ideas."

"So, let them think I put a baby in you, we know the truth," Mitchell teased.

My jaw dropped and I could tell he had one too many drinks just by how bold he was. "Stop."

He leaned in and goosebumps coated my skin as his warm breath brushed over my ear and neck. "Besides, I plan on doing a trial run when we get back to our suite."

"Get a room, guys!" Kate whined from behind us. "And one far from mine."

"We already do," Mitchell glanced at Kate and winked.

"Ugh, gross!" Kate scrunched her face in disgust.

Cool air was welcoming as we waited for our cab to take us back to our hotel. Lighthearted chatter went around before two cabs pulled up and we made our way over to the cars but came to a halt when a woman bumped into Mitchell.

"My bad, I'm sorry," the dark-haired woman with hazel eyes and tanned skin quickly apologized.

"It's alri-" Mitchell was cut off when the shorter woman's eyes widened and her red lips parted.

"Mitchell Clarke?" Recognition was evident in her voice as she openly checked him out in front of me. "Pardon me, Mr. Clarke."

With a frown, I looked between the pair and I grew a little concerned when I noticed Mitchell's perplexed and surprised expression. His grip on my hand tightened and that made me more anxious.

The woman who was dressed smartly in a pants suit glanced my way before she plastered on a smile and turned her attention back to Mitchell. "What are the odds? You never called but I bump into you here."

"Do I know-" Mitchell's brows furrowed.

"Ouch," the woman placed a hand over her chest. "Not calling after a night together is one thing but completely forgetting me... that's another kind of low."

She turned to me. "Be careful with this one, it's easy to fall for those eyes and charms but as great as he can make a girl feel, he can also make you feel worthless the next day."

"Anyway, no hard feelings," she checked me out and her eyes remained longer on the necklace around my neck. "I guess we might mean something different to him. I'm sorry for intruding," she glanced at Mitchell. "Take care, Mr. Clarke."

As I watched her walk off, everything around me blurred and her words ran in my mind like a marathon. I had a hundred questions, my heart raced and my skin prickled from the information I just heard.

"Mila," Mitchell called my name but I couldn't look at, let alone speak to him at that moment. I needed a minute to myself or I was going to explode.

"Mila, hear me out," Mitchell coolly spoke but I refused to have this conversation in front of everyone.

I unwrapped my hand from his but he quickly grabbed it back. I glared up at him and harshly tried to get out of his hold. "Don't," I said between gritted teeth.

"Mila, listen..."

I didn't know what to think and didn't want to jump to conclusions but the way the woman made it sound felt like a knife was twisted in my heart. I ignored Mitchell and decided to take a moment to calm down and clear my head before we spoke. I ran off to the cab to get away from everyone, the last thing I needed was pitiful looks.

"Mi-" Mitchell called but Kate cut him off. "Mitchy, don't. Give her some space."

"Mils," Faith ran after me and before I was able to shut the cab door behind me, Wang and Faith got in with me.

**

"That was Owen," Faith slipped her phone back into her purse as she made her way over to sit beside me. "They're back at the hotel and Mitch is looking for you."

I remained silent during our car ride back to the hotel and neither Faith nor Wang invaded my space. I tried not to think about anything and kept my mind blank but no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't get the image of the young woman out of my head. Her words ran a marathon in my mind and it made me dig my nails into the inside of my palm. 

I needed some air and time alone so the minute we reached the resort, I beelined outside to the pool area and took a seat on one of the recliners. I occupied my mind by glancing at the water ripples in the pool and listened to the sound of chirping insects and soft music that came from inside. 

Wang and Faith joined me but didn't utter a word, shortly after we arrived Faith got a call and as I just found out, it was Owen who was once again Mitchell's spokesperson. 

Is Mitchell capable of cheating?

I took in a breath and half nodded. "I just need a minute to myself."

"Of course," Wang who sat beside me placed a hand on my shoulder. "Take all the time you need."

"If you want to be alone, we'll leave too," Faith offered and searched my features.

I shut my eyes for a moment and decided I needed to address the situation. If I learned anything in my life it was that blocking out problems and pretending everything was alright was unhealthy.

"Do you believe what she said?" I asked. 

Faith lowered her gaze and sat on my left while Wang silently listened from the right. "I don't know..." Faith paused. "If Mitch didn't look as if he just saw a ghost then maybe I wouldn't have believed her but..."

"Look," Wang spoke. "Mitch comes from an affluent family; they're well known and I imagine Mitch is even more known now that he's joined the family business. There are going to be many people who will claim to know and have... affairs with him."

"You shouldn't believe what anyone else says until and unless it comes out of Mitch's mouth or if you see it with your own eyes," Wang added. 

I looked at him gratefully, Wang made a lot of sense and it was at these times I appreciated his wise, diplomatic side. Wang came off as funny, a little immature, and sometimes on the crazy side but he was the smartest and wisest person I knew. 

"I'm not jumping to conclusions but it looked like Mitch recognized her," I muttered. "I know him, if she was no one he would've passively told her to get lost. Instead, he looked like he was caught at a crime scene."

"Exactly, you know him," Faith said. "You know him better than any of us, do you think Mitch is capable of breaking your trust?"

"You haven't seen him while you two are apart, he's the epitome of miserable."

"And after everything you've been through together," Wang added in. "Let alone looking at another person other than you, I don't think he would ever jeopardize your relationship."

I took in a deep breath and ran a hand over my face. Wang and Faith made a lot of sense but the only way I could've gotten answers was if I spoke to Mitchell but I didn't want to face him yet. 

"Mils," Faith placed her hand over mine. "For all we know she was someone that was a part of his life before you two got together."

"He's never mentioned seeing anyone after Olivia." I mused. 

"She doesn't necessarily have to be someone he's dated," Wang muttered in a small voice. 

"Right," I said bitterly. "She could be someone he just screwed and skedaddled."

Mitchell had mentioned in the past that he was never opposed to hook-up's but in the time I'd known him, not once had I heard of him just hooking up with someone. Although, I always seemed to forget that when we first met, we were about to hook up. 

"Hey," Faith said. "Don't be like that, I understand that it can be a bitter pill to swallow that your significant other has had other... partners. But when you love and choose to accept them in your life, you accept their past too."

"Owen has had quite a... colorful past and when we spoke about it, it stung and I found myself drifted away for a while but we communicated like two mature adults and were able to move past that."

Faith was right, I was grateful that I had my two best friends at my side to offer advice and help me calm down. They made a lot of sense but I still couldn't help the way I felt, it wasn't just jealousy but also embarrassment to have someone throw it in my face that she slept with Mitchell in front of our friends. 

"I guess Mitch and I need to have that talk," I sighed. "After the whole Liza thing, I never bothered to bring up his past or anything like that. I suppose I never expected so many of them to appear in front of me, first Olivia and now this woman."

"Just talk to him, I'm sure he'll be able to clear all your doubts," Faith offered a small grin. 

"And be calm," Wang added. 

I nodded and offered a small smile. "Thanks, guys."

"Anything for you, Mils," Wang hugged me from the side and Faith joined in. 

I wasn't completely ready to talk to Mitchell but it needed to be done, I dragged my feet up to our room where I assumed he not-so-patiently waited for me. Just as I was about to unlock the door, my phone vibrated and I would've ignored it if Leo's name didn't show on the screen. 

Leo: Happy Birthday Mila! As always, I hope I'm the last to wish you so it stays with you until next year. Hope you had a great one. 

I read over the text once more and felt disappointed and a little hurt that he didn't even bother to call. I supposed he was busy or just wasn't in the mood to talk. I didn't want to add something else to the birthday-ruining list so I brushed it off. 

"Now I remember why I hated my birthday," I muttered under my breath before I opened the door to our suite. 

I slowly shut the door behind me and looked around the room, I didn't spot Mitchell immediately until I took more steps into the vast space. White curtains danced in the breeze that came in from the opened balcony door. I dropped my purse on the foot of the bed before I took slow steps towards Mitchell who stood on the balcony with his back to me. 

I gripped the thin fabric of the white curtains between my fingers and stared at Mitchell's back for a long moment. He stood slightly leaned over with one hand on the railing and the other held a cigarette in place against his nose. 

"Need a light?" I broke the silence. 

Mitchell didn't take a second to turn around, he looked relieved and exhaled through his lips the minute our eyes met. I averted my attention to the unlit cigarette between his fingers. "The last I checked, you need to light it before you smoke it."

Mitchell glanced at the cigarette shoved it in his pocket with his hands. "No thanks, I'm trying to kick the bad habit."

My brows raised a fraction, I had no idea Mitchell was trying to quit his awful habit of smoking. I lectured him about it many times but he never paid heed, I was glad to hear that he finally tried to stop. 

Silence lingered between us for a long moment, Mitchell's eyes moved over every inch of my face as if he tried to read my thoughts. I rolled my bottom lip inwards; Mitchell took a step closer but I immediately turned around and walked back into the room. 

Mitchell shut the door and I heard his footsteps slowly approaching me. Tension was thick in the air and I didn't know to break the ice even though I had about a thousand different thoughts running through my mind. 

"Mila," Mitchell broke the silence. "I know you must have many questions, so whatever it is you want to say or ask, I'm all ears."

I shut my eyes and huffed under my breath. I agreed I had many questions but Mitchell had some explaining to do and I expected him to clear the air first. I turned around to face him, squared my shoulders, and stared him in the eye. "Fine," I crossed my arms over my chest. "Do you know her?"

Mitchell took a moment before he replied, "I'd say 'know' is too strong of a word."

"Don't pull your law school crap and play with words," I coolly retorted. "Just answer the question."

Mitchell's jaw hardened and the brief moment of silence was an answer itself. "I've met her before."

I knew at the back of my mind that Mitchell knew the woman yet a small part of me hoped that she was just someone who knew of him. 

"What she implied..." I let the sentence hang. 

"Mila," Mitchell took a step forward and reached for me but I took a step backward and stood my ground.

"Did you sleep with her?" I got straight to the point.

Mitchell pursed his lips and ran a hand through his hair, he took another step closer while I quietly observed and waited for an answer. I might've appeared calm on the outside but my heart raced so fast, I heard it in my ears. 

"Mil-"

"Just," my tone came out a lot snappier than I anticipated so I took in a breath and calmly continued, "just answer the question."

Mitchell lowered his gaze and half nodded. "Yes."

Not what I wanted to hear.

I inhaled sharply, gulped, ran my fingers through my hair, and turned my back to him. I didn't know what I felt at that moment but whatever it was, it wasn't good. I couldn't look at Mitchell, I needed a second to compose myself or we would've gotten into a fight. I shut my eyes and calmed myself, I assumed there was more to the story but after he confirmed that he slept with that girl, it did a lot more than just sting. 

"Mila," Mitchell placed a hand on my shoulder. "It was before we got together, we weren't even in contact at that time. I was in a bad place, drunk, and in need of any distraction. I wasn't myself; I couldn't stop thinking of you and how I probably wouldn't ever see you again."

"I was away for work at a hotel bar, she walked in, made conversation and I guess one thing led to another and –"

"Spare me the details," I cut him off with a raised hand.

"Mila," Mitchell muttered under his breath. "I'm sorry."

I took another deep breath and slowly shrugged his hand off my shoulder. I raked my fingers through my hair for what felt like the hundredth time and turned to face him. "Was this after the accident?"

Mitchell nodded.

"So, about a year ago?" 

Mitchell nodded again.

I huffed under my breath and from hurt, I quickly grew angry. "So, while I pretended to be happy last year on my stupid birthday because my mind couldn't stop thinking about you and my heart refused to let go, you were out there sleeping around?"

"No, it wasn't like that at all," Mitchell clarified. "It was a once-off thing, I was wasted and missed you like crazy – as I said, I wasn't in my senses."

"So, to get over me, you found the next best brunette with boobs and two legs and got on top of her?" I spat.

"No, that was never my intention," Mitchell sounded pretty desperate. "I didn't want to get over you, I wanted to stop feeling so fucking... broken just for a while."

"Oh, you were broken?" A lump grew in my throat. "You were hurt and in a bad place?" I accused. "In case you've forgotten, you were the one who left without a proper explanation or even a goodbye. I was left with the memory of your cold, detached voice via Owen's phone telling me that I meant nothing to you."

"I know your reasons for leaving and I understand them, comparing the way we felt with the situation is wrong and I don't hold your... activities against you but not once did I do anything similar to this to get over you."

"I hurt every day despite smiling in front of everyone, I kept thinking that I was never good enough for you to love," the lump in my throat grew and I did my best not to cry. "I told myself that I couldn't force you or anyone else to love me, with that thought I couldn't be angry with you anymore."

"But it hurt, Mitchell," my voice began to deceive me. "It fucking hurt!"

"Mila," Mitchell's eyes looked guilty and he reached for me again but I flinched back.

"I know everyone heals differently and I'm new to this love thing but how were you able to..." I gulped and continued bitterly, "touch her when you claim that I was still on your mind and heart?"

"Even while under the influence, I couldn't bring myself to even kiss someone else. How did you..." I trailed off and a tear managed to escape my eye and run down my cheek. 

I turned around so he wouldn't see, I didn't want Mitchell to see me as weak or fragile. I couldn't even hold this against him, he didn't cheat or betray me but it still hurt for some reason. 

"I'm sorry, Mila," Mitchell stood so close behind me that I felt his body heat radiate off him and caress the exposed part of my back. 

"There's nothing to be sorry about," I admitted and wiped away the tears. "We weren't together, I wasn't a part of your life, it wasn't like you cheated on me."

"It feels like I did," he spoke in a soft and vulnerable tone. 

I shook my head. "I wouldn't be standing here if you did."

"But I hurt you and that's the same thing," Mitchell drew closer, I tensed and he must've gotten the message because he stepped back. 

I inhaled deeply to compose myself and turned to face him again. "I accept all of you and that includes your past but it's kinda shitty how often we run into it."

"I can't complain because I know it isn't easy whenever you see Leo and I appreciate how you put aside your feelings because of my friendship with him. Which is why when we bumped into Olivia, I said nothing even though the memory of hearing you two go at it flashed in my mind repeatedly."

"I see the attention you get and say nothing, I reserve my comments when women throw themselves at you while I stand there at your side like some damn illusion," I expressed how I felt whenever Mitchell got female attention in front of me. "I don't say a word because I trust you."

"I would never do anything to break your trust," Mitchell spoke earnestly. "I've lost you before, I won't risk it again."

I nodded. "I believe you but I don't want to walk into your...partners time and time again," I admitted. "As much as I trust and love you, it's not a nice feeling, and today when she threw in it in my face that you two... in front of everyone, I felt humiliated."

"I know, I didn't expect to ever run into her or anyone else," Mitchell responded. 

"Anyone else?" I repeated. "There's more?"

I might've been childish or naïve to think that she was the only one but it made sense that there were more. Mitchell was an attractive, young man who had lots of charm when he wanted. Of course, there were women who threw themselves at him, and as a single man, I was certain he gave in. 

"I mean... I –"

"What's your body count, Mitchell?" I cut him off and bluntly asked. 

Mitchell froze for a second, I supposed he didn't expect me to ask – heck, I didn't either. "Mila... do you really want to talk about this? I'll answer but what's in the past stays there, I don't want to upset or hurt you in any way."

"If we're going to keep walking into your many sexual partners, I think I want to be prepared," I replied and unintentionally sounded bitter. 

Mitchell didn't reply, he clenched his jaw and I could tell he did his very best to keep his temper in check. 

"I'll start," I broke the moment of tense silence. "Including you, I've been with three people. But you're at the top of that list, I've been with you thrice as much in one week on the yacht than with the other two combined."

"First blow job goes to you, first time in the shower, you. Heck, I think everything new we did was my first time with you," I was on a roll. "I know it's not a competition but I thought I'd make it easier for you by coming clean."

"Stop," Mitchell sternly said. "We don't have to do this, I love and accept everything about you."

"I just want to put it out there so there aren't any surprises in the future," I dryly responded. 

Mitchell deeply sighed. "I feel as if you're taunting me."

"If you don't want to answer me, it's fine," I told him honestly and made my way over to sit at the edge of the bed. 

I proceeded to undo the buckle of my shoes and felt Mitchell's hot gaze fixated on me. I wasn't sure how I felt or if I really wanted an answer to my question but I also thought we should've had this conversation long back. 

Mitchell took slow steps towards me, kneeled in front of me, and gripped my wrist. I met his gaze that moved over every inch of my face. "I said I'd answer everything you asked," he softly said. "And if you want to know this, then I won't refuse."

Mitchell's eyes searched mine for a long moment before he took in a breath, shut his eyes for a second, and spoke. "I've been with five women, including you."

I guess that's better than what I assumed. 

"But," Mitchell continued and that piqued my interest. "There are more that I've done... other things with."

"You mean you've only had sexual intercourse with five women?" I clarified. 

The topic was borderline uncomfortable but as a couple, I supposed it was needed. Mitchell unwound his neck and nodded. "Technically, yes."

"And the others?" My voice came out sounding more unsure than I felt. "Receiving and giving ora-"

"It was mostly receiving," Mitchell quickly cut me off. "During college, I wasn't the best of people, you could say I lost myself to a certain extent and went a little astray."

Because Liza broke your heart.

"I've only... given to two people, you and..."

"Your ex, Liza," I completed his sentence. 

Mitchell huffed under his breath, gulped, and messed his already unruly hair by running his fingers through it again. "I don't want to upset you further by bringing up the past, I hate seeing you like this."

"I think I've heard enough," I admitted honestly. "Although, I'd like to know how many people did you engage in... sexual activities with in the last year?"

"I only slept with the woman we bumped into tonight," Mitchell admitted. "And I felt like shit about it the next morning."

"And anything else?" I asked with the hope that was it. 

"That's it," Mitchell replied. 

I nodded with a bit of relief. I was about to get up but stopped when one more question came to mind. "Is there anything intimate you've physically experienced with me for the first time?"

Mitchell froze for a long moment and the silence between us was an answer itself. Mitchell took both my hands in his and drew his face closer. "First, second, third, tenth, or even a hundredth, I don't care about those numbers," he lowered his face so he could stare into my eyes. "I want us to be our last everything."

Ouch! This stings a little.

"You could've just said no," I muttered. "It wouldn't change anything between us, I've already accepted everything about you – including your past."

Mitchell's eyes looked remorseful but he had nothing to be sorry about. He opened his mouth to say something but no words escaped so he closed it again with a soft sigh. "Being physical in a relationship holds some importance," Mitchell eventually spoke. "But it's the first time I've felt this way about anyone, I've never loved or cared about anyone as deeply as I do for you. My feelings scare me sometimes because I don't even know how much you mean to me; I just know it's possibly an unhealthy amount."

"It scares me too, sometimes," I whispered.

I broke the moment, slipped my hand from under his, and ran my fingers through his hair. "It's alright, Mitch," I forced a small smile. "We're good, nothing has changed between us." I moved my hand over to the side of his face and caressed his skin with the pad of my thumb. "Thank you for your honesty. I'm going to get ready for bed."

I took longer than normal in the bathroom and spent most of the time standing in front of the mirror to gather my thoughts. I wasn't upset but the information I learned wasn't something I could've gotten over in a few minutes. 

I washed off my makeup, went about my night skin regime, brushed my teeth, and dressed into pajamas before I brushed my hair and made my way back into the room. Mitchell was ready for bed too but wore a t-shirt as opposed to being shirtless. 

There was a sense of awkwardness between us, Mitchell sat on the couch instead of the bed and closely scrutinized my every movement. I just wanted to get this dreaded night over with and start fresh in the morning - I hoped my mood would've been better. 

I pulled open the covers of the large bed, fluffed two pillows, and got in. I turned to my side and shut my eyes in hopes sleep would've arrived soon. 

"If you want some space, I'll take the sofa," Mitchell said. 

I opened my eyes and lifted my head to see him standing at the foot of the bed. "The bed is big enough for both of us."

The bed dipped and Mitchell got in, I nestled my head against the soft pillow and shut my eyes once more. The bed truly felt way too big, I remained in my spot, and Mitchell's didn't invade my space – he was so far that I couldn't even feel his presence. 

I cleared my head and hated how weird things were, I knew he thought I wanted space but deep down I really didn't. A part of me wished he would've pulled me closer so things would've felt somewhat normal. 

This isn't the way I expected tonight to go.

I had enough and turned around to face Mitchell. The lights were off with a small streak of light that shone through from outside that illuminated his face. Mitchell lay on his back with his eyes wide open, he stared at the ceiling with one hand behind his head. 

As I took in his features, I realized that he was still my Bitchell regardless of everything and my feelings hadn't altered at all. I scooted over and without warning, placed my head over his chest, and rested my hand over his torso.

Mitchell immediately responded to my touch and pulled me closer, he let out a breath of relief and nuzzled his nose in my hair before he placed a kiss at the top of my head. "I'm sorry for ruining your birthday, this isn't how I planned for the night to end," he whispered. 

"You didn't ruin anything," I replied as I breathed in his scent I loved so much. "This was one of my best birthdays."

"But -"

"But nothing," I cut Mitchell off and paused for a long moment. "Abuela always told me that home isn't a place but more of a feeling, I only understood that when my mom forgot me and home started to just feel like a house." 

"I didn't have a sense of belonging, I never had a haven to call mine until... you," I snuggled against him and breathed in deeply. "Don't snatch my home away from me, I feel safe after a very long time, please don't take that away."

"Never," Mitchell wrapped his arm even tighter around me and kissed my forehead. "Because you're my home and happiness too, without you around, I'm miserable."

A small smile played on my lips. "Ironically, you're also miserable when I'm around."

Mitchell's chest vibrated from a soft chuckle. "That's a good kind of misery."

I laughed and sighed contently as my eyes slowly closed – things felt normal again and I was happy we had a civilized conversation for once. Perhaps we were growing as a couple and as individuals.

A/N Do you agree with the ending statement? Do you think they handled this well?

Mila is about to start her life as a resident doctor from the next one!

Let me know your thoughts,
Till then,
Tina

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

936K 27.7K 38
Nov, 09, 2020 : #1 in romance May, 14, 2021 : #1in respect May, 14, 2021 : #4 in lovestory "Don't try and act all nice to me. I know girls like you...
20.5M 346K 42
#1 Teen Fiction | #1 Young Adult | #1 Romance "We all need someone to drive us mad." - The Wombats. He stared arrogantly down at me, a smirk plaste...
5.7K 103 43
Evanly's desires of being loved, feeling affection, satisfaction and sex were casted aside as she was stuck in a loveless marriage, but light shined...
240K 12.7K 77
"Do you ever give being insufferable a rest? Don't you get tired of annoying me and then acting smug about it?" Mitchell annoyed asked the infuriatin...