ONE DARK QUEEN ❖ (A Three Dar...

By PheonixGuardian

THREE DARK QUEENS are born in a glen SWEET LITTLE TRIPLETS will never be friends THREE DARK WITCHES all fair... More

Beginning Note
CHAPTER ONE: UMBRA
CHAPTER TWO: ROLANTH
CHAPTER THREE: PRYNN
CHAPTER FOUR: BASTIAN CITY
CHAPTER FIVE: UMBRA
CHAPTER SIX: THE SEA
CHAPTER SEVEN: PRYNN
CHAPTER EIGHT: UMBRA
CHAPTER NINE: SAND HARBOUR
CHAPTER TEN: PRYNN FOREST
CHAPTER ELEVEN: LACTON SQUARE
CHAPTER TWELVE: ROLANTH
CHAPTER THIRTEEN: PRYNN
CHAPTER FOURTEEN: UMBRA
CHAPTER FIFTEEN: MOORGATE PARK
CHAPTER SIXTEEN: PRYNN
CHAPTER SEVENTEEN: UMBRA
CHAPTER EIGHTEEN: INDRID DOWN TEMPLE
CHAPTER NINETEEN: PRYNN
CHAPTER TWENTY: UMBRA
CHAPTER TWENTY ONE: ROLANTH
CHAPTER TWENTY TWO: PRYNN
CHAPTER TWENTY THREE: PRYNN
CHAPTER TWENTY FOUR: ONDINA'S COVE
CHAPTER TWENTY FIVE: ONDINA'S COVE
CHAPTER TWENTY SIX: SHANNON'S BLACKWAY
CHAPTER TWENTY SEVEN: PRYNN
CHAPTER TWENTY EIGHT: THE RADURON ENCAMPMENT
CHAPTER TWENTY NINE: THE MURTRA ENCAMPMENT
CHAPTER THIRTY: THE ARRON ENCAMPMENT
CHAPTER THIRTY ONE: THE MURTRA ENCAMPMENT
CHAPTER THIRTY TWO: THE WESTWOOD ENCAMPMENT
CHAPTER THIRTY THREE: THE WESTWOOD ENCAMPMENT
CHAPTER THIRTY FOUR: THE RADURON ENCAMPMENT
CHAPTEE THIRTY FIVE: THE MURTRA ENCAMPMENT
CHAPTER THIRTY SIX: THE ARRON ENCAMPMENT
CHAPTY THIRTY SEVEN: THE RADURON ENCAMPMENT
CHAPTER THIRTY EIGHT: THE DISEMBARKING
CHAPTER THIRTY NINE: INNISFUIL VALLEY
CHAPTER FOURTY: QUEEN NALANI'S STAGE
CHAPTER FOURTY ONE: THE FIRE DOME
CHAPTER FOURTY TWO: QUEEN ARWEN'S STAGE
CHAPTER FOURTY THREE: THE QUICKENING
CHAPTER FOURTY FOUR: QUEEN CARINA'S STAGE
CHAPTER FOURTY FIVE: QUEEN CARINA'S STAGE
CHAPTER FOURTY SIX: THE MURTRA ENCAMPMENT
CHAPTER FOURTY SEVEN: UMBRA
CHAPTER FOURTY EIGHT: ROLANTH
CHAPTER FOURTY NINE: PRYNN
CHAPTER FIFTY: UMBRA
CHAPTER FIFTY ONE: ROLANTH
CHAPTER FIFTY TWO: PRYNN
CHAPTER FIFTY THREE: UMBRA
CHAPTER FIFTY FOUR: ROLANTH
CHAPTER FIFTY FIVE: PRYNN
CHAPTER FIFTY SIX: UMBRA
CHAPTER FIFTY SEVEN: INNISFUIL VALLEY
BEFORE
CHAPTER FIFTY NINE: UMBRA
CHAPTER SIXTY: THE BLACK COTTAGE
CHAPTER SIXTY ONE: PRYNN
CHAPTER SIXTY TWO: UMBRA
THE BIRTH
AUTHORS NOTE
CHAPTER SIXTY THREE: THE BLACK COTTAGE
CHAPTER SIXTY FOUR: PRYNN
CHAPTER SIXTY FIVE: UMBRA
CHAPTER SIXTY SIX: ROLANTH

CHAPTER FIFTY EIGHT: PRYNN

49 2 27
By PheonixGuardian

"So," Niklaus begins as he and Carina sit in one of the smaller dining room of Prynn Manor, "what do you think of Eliza Lermont?"

Carina inclines her head, taking another bite of toast, careful to use her hand that is free of her black mamba's (Scorpius') grip. For today she has both her snakes with her. Sheshu and then that suitor, Klaude's, gift. Little Scorpius. A perfect accessory for a queen as his scales are all black. And he is small. He can easily wrap around her wrist. She trained him a little but in truth Scorpius is very well behaved and has never made a move to strike her yet. Though no animal is better mannered than Sheshu, who obeys her queens every command.

She tries to enjoy the toast, which is tainted with mountain laurel flowers that have marinated into the butter, but she does not truly want it. She is not particularly hungry, not when the poisoned food has been making her feel more and more sick as time goes by. If the Goddess was here Carina would throttle her and demand why she has deserted Carina during her time of need.

Niklaus though has a feast at his table, rashes of bacon from a pig poisoned by white snakeroot (tainting the meat), eggs, toast and fried poisonous mushrooms. It makes Carina's mouth almost water but her stomach is not fooled. If she ate the amount Niklaus has been she would be sickened very quickly. It makes her sick. Her weakness. It is a disgrace. At least only Niklaus knows. And Eirene who attempted to threaten exposing her weakness. Andrea also knows or at least suspects.

But drawing herself out of her thoughts she considers Niklaus' question a moment as Sheshu slithers around by her feet. The arrival of the oracle has been odd. No one with the sight gift has been to Prynn Manor in centuries. Silas doesn't mind Eliza's presence but would prefer it if she wasn't here as he is suspicious by nature, similarly to Eirene - he likes to keep himself to himself and he rarely stays at the Manor anyway, instead opting to go out to visit his secret elemental lover that Carina only knows about because of Andrea's spies. Andrea naturally doesn't approve but she cannot control his decisions. Still, Carina wouldn't put it past Andrea, or Octavia, to poison his lover for fear that she would help Queen Nalani to cause Carina's demise.

Adrion at least likes Eliza, well he likes her beauty and has been flirting with her at every opportunity but both Octavia and Amara hate Eliza's presence and would likely try and poison her meals if they could get away with it but Andrea would slaughter both of them. Even though the Arron matriarch isn't keen on Eliza's presence she allows it and she won't have any guests being killed under her roof, especially not ones who are children of Black Council members. Even Andrea is wise enough to know that Cressida Lermont is not to be trifled with.

The mood of the manor is complex at the moment generally as poisoners and oracles aren't natural allies. Yet. Eliza seems to have a good understanding of the poisoner gift, likely due to her father. A strange combination she is, along with her sister, Nesta. Daughters of an oracle and a poisoner. Not many on the island can say that about their parentage. Though it is rumoured that Nesta Lermont has the poisoner gift rather than sight unlike Eliza.

"She is fine I suppose," Carina replies, "though I haven't spoke much to her since her arrival."

In truth Eliza likes to keep to herself mostly. And Carina doesn't blame her. It must be intimidating. In a house of the strongest poisoners on the island. Who aren't the most friendliest bunch by any standard.

"Why not?" Niklaus asks.

Carina raises an eyebrow, "I've been busy."

"With what?" He asks curiously, plopping a handful of belladonna berries into his mouth. An Arron favourite.

"Ironically I've been taking your advice for once," Carina admits, shrugging as she spies a smug look already forming on Niklaus' face, "but don't let that go to your head."

"Do tell," Niklaus says with a smirk, leaning back into his chair and taking a long satisfied gulp of his lantana berry wine and Carina resists the urge to roll her eyes. Perhaps she shouldn't have told him. Now she will never hear the end of it.

The only people she has told are Andrea, Eliza Selene and then the few guards who accompanied her but those guards are too terrified of her to go blabbing. But still everyone has a price for information; if any of them loosen their tongues Carina will see fit to cut them out. No one will jeopardise her reign and social standing. The only reason she told Eliza was because she needed her for part of what she intended to do.

"It's nothing much I've just visited a few infirmaries and orphanages, speaking with the wounded and the children, bringing them supplies, such as healing droughts, and I've done a few speeches in secret, only to a small crowd, detailing my plans to appoint an equal council of all gifts and cultures instead of a majority poisoner rule," Carina says, "though only as far as Trignor and Cape Horn."

Niklaus' eyes blaze with excitement and a little pride, "well how did it go?"

For once Carina feels a little nervous and hesitates in her answer. After all it was strange to visit these new places, allow herself to be presented in a different light. But somehow she managed it and gained a little favour with the people. And those people will likely spread it even farther. Eventually. Perhaps she will be known as the healer queen rather than the poisoner queen. That would be ironic indeed. But maybe just maybe the people will begin to put their faith in her, despite her gift and association with the Arrons. It will be nice if they could love her. No one has loved her before.

She has been busy these past days and so has Eliza as she helped brew all the concoctions Carina needed and Carina even helped with a few of them. Oddly she actually enjoyed the feeling of working with the herbs and remedies - of spending time with Eliza. Even though she doesn't know the oracle that well yet.

Finally Carina brings her gaze to Niklaus as she answers, "quite well, the people were hesitant at first but they started to truly listen to my ideas and they appreciated me visiting the orphanage, bringing gifts for the children and to the infirmaries."

Niklaus raises an eyebrow, smiling with even more pride than before, "well Rina I had no idea you had it in you and you pulled all this off in a manner of days without so much as a soul in this house knowing your plans, I have to say I'm impressed."

"Thank the Goddess for your approval," Carina remarks dryly, "winning it was all I aiming for really."

Niklaus smirks, he has grown to appreciate her dry and at times harsh way of speaking and he inclines his head, "I am truly proud Rina, Queen Nalani may think she has the upper hand with the people but she's in for a rude awakening."

That makes Carina smile with a little malice, "my darling little sister, champion of the people," she says sarcastically, "she'll get the true rude awakening when I poison her or perhaps shoot an arrow between her eyes."

"Such violent talk for breakfast," Niklaus sighs but he is still smiling. He may not be as vicious as all poisoners but he, like Carina, delights in the notion of Nalani's death. It's not personal. Just business. A chess board that needs to be cleared. First they will knock down Nalani. Then Arwen. Or perhaps let them knock each other off then Carina will step into the limelight, killing the last one standing and taking her rightful place as Queen Crowned.

"Though back to more pleasant matters, I'm pleased you listened to my guidance, though I must admit I can't imagine you pottering about with all those untainted herbs," Niklaus says, saying the word untainted as it were the greatest insult on the island, "though maybe your aptitude with plants will draw some naturalists to your side."

That makes Carina's eyes snap up at the mention of naturalists, remembering the incident she had in the Arrons garden when gathering poisons for one of her concoctions. The day Eliza came.

How the plants grew at her touch and then died after her distress. But she can't bear to even think about what that possibly means. Carina is a poisoner queen. Not a ... a naturalist. She can't be. Can she? For a minute she thinks of Sheshu. Could the snake be her familiar? No. Impossible. But the connection she has with her viper is indescribable. No. No. No.

She will be never be a naturalist queen. It is not in her nature. She doesn't know the first thing about being a naturalist. But she knows everything about being a poisoner. And she is one. It doesn't matter if her poisoner gift has grown weak. She is a poisoner at heart.

And her poisoner gift didn't used to be weak. It used to be strong, to a degree though she could never fully stand the most severe poisons. But what does that then mean? Can she be both poisoner and naturalist. Would that make her legion cursed? And if that is true is she going to go mad? Is she already. Has their ever been a legion cursed triplet born into the queensline? Goddess. No one can find out about this, she must distance herself from everything about the naturalist gift. Otherwise the people may rise up themselves and take her head.

"I don't need the naturalists," Carina says coldly, pushing her plate of toast away, taking a long sip of fresh water. It feels nice to drink something so pure, something that she knows will not harm her. Will not make her vulnerable.

Niklaus notes her tone and behaviours, an expression of curiosity already forming in his blue eyes,

"Why not?" He asks carefully, "they could be strong allies."

Carina does not answer at first. She cannot tell Niklaus about the incident in the gardens. She cannot tell anyone. For there is no one she truly trusts no one who truly values her beyond her gift. Even Niklaus. She couldn't predict what his reaction would be if he found out she may not even be a poisoner queen, so her ascension wouldn't increase the poisoner's gift - only their political standing.

"They are half in love with Nalani all ready," Carina says loftily, choosing not to behave as upset as she is truly feeling, "there is no point, naturalists are a wild dirty lot so Nalani fits right in."

Niklaus laughs at that nodding in agreement, "true they hold none of our eloquence and etiquette but they have many citizens in their homes of Wolf Spring and Bernadine's Landing, and they are strong, not in terms of political savvy but in physical strength, they could be an asset if you could win them to your side."

"I don't need to win them to my side," Carina says, careful to keep her tone casual and unbothered, "when I am Queen Crowned they will follow me whether they want to or not, they will learn to love me or I will make them."

"I thought we were trying to win more people to your side based on your character," he says warily, hearing the undeniable bite in her tone at the end of her sentence.

Carina shrugs, "I will do what I must to convince the rest of the island, but I will not waste my energy on pointless endeavours, naturalists will never willingly join the side of a poisoner queen not while Nalani is still alive to root for."

It is true. Despite Carina's personal reluctances about the naturalists. They see Nalani as the closest thing to a naturalist queen as they can get. Free. Wild. In touch with nature.

"And will she be alive for much longer?" He asks.

"No," Carina says, "she will not and neither will Arwen, you're right that I've been busy the last few days and it hasn't all been to increase my popularity." She smirks at that, her old smile etching back onto her features, one that promises wickedness, "I've been sending out some gifts for my sisters, all pretty and poisoned wrapped with the finest care just to show my consideration."

Her presents may not work. But her spies bribed to taint a meal and drink or too might. It's technically cheating but no one else will ever find out. And if they do. What of it. It is illegal to harm a queen.

Still it's unlikely it'll work. So early into the Ascension Year Carina doubts Nalani or Arwen's respective parties will be lax about either of their queen's safety. They will have a hundred tasters for their queens, a thousand various defences.

Especially after the recent assassination attempts of both Carina and Nalani in the last few months. The Black Council down in Indrid Down have allegedly been investigating the potential existence of a radical group trying to end the queensline. As if people would dare. Especially with this generation of triplets, they are the strongest cycle for years.

That's why it'll be difficult to get past their defences. But Carina will not stop. Something will work. And if being sly doesn't work then she will be direct. Challenge her sisters to a hunt or a duel which has been a common thing for centuries of Ascension Years.

"They won't work," Niklaus says, "everything and anything entering either Rolanth or Umbra will be tested."

Carina's eyes narrow, "don't you think I know that Niklaus," she snaps, "I'm no fool but the best weapon is the one they won't see coming, the gifts are more of a distraction for my other attempts."

"Which are?" He presses.

"You'll find out if they work," she shrugs, getting up from the table, "now excuse me I need to find Andrea."

As she rises and walks out of the room, Sheshu follows, slithering behind her feat, her scales so bright in comparison to the dark mahogany boards on the Arron's ancestral home. It is an old place. Here before her birth and will likely be standing long after her bones are dust.

Andrea Arron sits in her study as usual, her eyes narrowed in concentration as she drafts a letter. Carina wonders if it is to Melinda Marlowe to check on her progression - that poisoner spy would be useful to help her infiltrate through the Raduron's defences and get to Queen Arwen. But if Cierra finds out Melinda will die painfully and slowly. And Umbra's borders will tighten even more.

And Carina cannot let their Ascension end in a tower. The last Ascension where that happened was Queen Felecite, followed by the poisoner dynasty of queens that was then broken by war gifted Halia.

Carina will not fare well if her cycle's Ascension Year ends in a tower. And either Arwen or Nalani will be queen. Though based on how Arwen's shadows extinguished Nalani's lit torches at Beltane when Arwen performed - Carina suspects it is the shadow queen who will come out of the tower victorious.

When Carina knocks on the door Andrea's eyes snap up less than a half second later with fury then they automatically soften when they see it's Carina. Unfortunately, Octavia is in her office as well, sat in one of the chairs, helping herself to some yew wine. Her only greeting is a grimace at Carina which she returns equally as fierce, so much so that Octavia has to break eye contact.

"Come in Rina," Andrea says warmly, the tone is uncharacteristic for her but she does use it on occasion. Though rarely to her own children. Or to anyone except Queen Carina.

"Good morning Andrea," Carina says, ignoring Octavia completely and mimicking Andrea's pleasant tones - it is wise to stay on the Arron matriarch's good side after all, especially with the Ascension Year.

"To what do I owe this pleasure?" Andrea asks, setting down her quill and stacking her various papers.

"I just wanted to let you know that the plans we spoke of are in motion, poison gifts and spies are bound for Umbra and Rolanth this morning," Carina says, remembering their conversation just two days ago going over various ways to try and infiltrate both cities and get to her sisters.

"What gifts?" Octavia cuts in, "what spies, why has no one told me about this," she says her eyes wildly darting to Andrea to offer up some sort of explanation.

"It's none of your concern Octavia," Carina answers cooly before Andrea has the chance, "now leave, Andrea and I have important business to discuss."

Octavia's scowl deepens further but she doesn't dare reply back. Carina suspects she is secretly afraid of her. But any fear doesn't stop Octavia's pale eyes from blazing with fury as she looks at Andrea to back her up. But the matriarch does not, instead staying silent. Just as Carina keeps on Andrea's good side, the matriarch also keeps on hers. Wise of her. If she wishes to be Head of Carina's Black Council she needs to have the good will of the Queen Crowned.

Huffing, Octavia gets up, clasping her glass of wine and practically storms out of the door, leaving the door open but at least she knows better than to slam the office door. Shaking her head Carina shuts the door quietly behind her.

"Now back to business," Carina says with a small smile, taking the chair that Octavia vacated.

Andrea looks as though she wants to say something about Carina's treatment of Octavia but decides not to. The matriarch is beginning to realise that she cannot control the queen. Not fully. And in honesty Andrea doesn't believe that anyone could stand a chance trying to completely control Carina. Hence why keeping the good will of the young queen is necessary but that is no hard task as Andrea cares for Carina in her own warped way.

Andrea nods in reply, "yes business," she remarks, "I'm glad you have arranged everything, that shows good initiative and even though may not work at all or they may reach the wrong targets, still, it sends a message, striking fear into both Arwen and Nalani, I doubt the Westwoods or Radurons expected us to strike this quickly, they will fear your blood-thirst and your strength Rina," she says, beginning to smile with a rare pride.

And Carina knows she speaks the truth. It does send a bold message. She doubts any on the island would expect her to strike so quickly. They will admire her determination, her nerve. Perhaps that will sway a few more to her side. Perhaps.

"With luck my sisters will be dead within a month," Carina says, stroking little Scorpius' head as he sleeps on her arm.

"You are ambitious, a good quality for a Queen Crowned to have," Andrea notes though it is something she already knew. It is one of Andrea's favourite things about Carina for she shares the same the same unrelenting determination that Andrea does.

"Well I am not Queen Crowned yet," Carina says, "but I will be."

And in that moment she believes it. She wants it to be true more than anything.

But later in the day when she returns to her rooms after putting Scorpius back in her cage, even though she has barely been eating any poison, she collapses onto her rug, the book of toxins she was reading falling beside her. And when she wakes hours have gone by. Hours of vulnerability.

Carina almost wants to laugh when she eventually pulls herself up from the floor. If Nalani and Arwen were here they would've found easy quarry. They would've slain her with ease. Goddess. Anyone in this damned house could've slaughtered her with ease. Even the damned maids or butlers.

She supposed she can't blame anyone for not realising or helping her. Carina makes it quite clear that when she goes to her room early in the day that she does not want to be disturbed so most leave her alone. Niklaus could've come bursting in but she knows he went to town hours ago. And she prefers that no one entered, Goddess knows what repercussions her collapse could've had if Amara, Octavia, Eirene or even Adrion found her.

Carina tries to take in deep breathes and finds Sheshu at her feet, her reptilian eyes full of concern as she nuzzles Carina's legs in a strange comfort. Taking another slow controlled breath she reaches for the nearby bell on the table, the one designed for summoning servants.

She only needs to ring it a few times and wait a couple of minutes before Selene comes bursting in.

"What may I fetch for you Queen Carina?" She asks politely, her eyes full of kindness.

And it is that one question that makes Carina sink to her knees and break down completely, crying in her maid's arms.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Siblings By Hjc0703

Teen Fiction

552K 15.4K 54
[Completed] There's three of us. Triplets. We all have each other's backs. There's me, Maeve. The one with red eyes. People call me a murder. S...
93.4K 4.1K 63
Several months have passed, following the War with the Valg. Fenrys Moonbeam is slowly settling into his new role as the Ambassador of Terrasen, whil...
138K 12.8K 91
Book Two in the Mad Queen Series! Don't continue to read if you don't want spoilers for book one! Once, they were strong and united. Now, they are se...
58.1K 1.5K 36
Diana Pheonix Silvermoon. This name is of great importance. Who is she? And why is she so important? Well, it's just because she is the goddess of...