The Tiger King (Chaelisa)

By Dreamofshadows

Fight for glory. Fight for honour. Fight for Love. Flirting expert Lisa is a competitive boxer and reluctant... More

Author's Note
Of Monsters and Men
1| In the Ring
2| Drinks
3| Morning-Afters
4| Bagels
5| Welcome to the Vault
6| Sisters
7| Memories
8| Before
9| Maybe
10| Stiff
11| Chat
12| Fall
13| Disapprove
14| Proxy
15| Plan
16| Decision
17| Upset
18| Neighbour
19| Meet
20| Frustration
21| Almost
22|Stuck
23| Do-over
24| Getting to know you
25| Girl Talk
26| Irene
27| Visitors
28| Progress
29| Monday
30| Still Me
31| Test
32| Fight
33| Proposal
34| Rosé's Meeting
35| Change
36| White Lie
37| Confessions: Part 1
37| Confessions: Part 2
38| Understanding
39| The First Match
40| Late Night Call
41| Bao Bao
42| Ringmaster
43| Mischief and Mayhem: Part 1
44| Mischief and Mayhem: Part 2
45| The Case of the Two Jinyoungs
46| Preparation
47| Party People
48| Monster
Interlude: No Saints, All Sinners
49| Angels
50| Fallout
51| Beneath the Tree
52| Of McDonald's, Movies and Makeouts
53| Waking Up
54| Jjimjilbang Day
55| Conversations
56| Outing
57| Outing Pt. 2
58| Sunlight & Cuddles
59| Curiosity Killed the Cat...
61| Lights Out, Dahyun
62| Phone Calls
63| Beavers and Penguins
64| Omens
65| Trouble in Paradise
66| Pizza Time
67| Freefall
68| Last Girl Standing
69| Spiralling
70| Lost
71| Gone
72| Jennie's Story
73| Playing with Fire
74| The Sins of Our Mothers
75| The Forest of Fear
76| Enemy Of My Enemy
77| A New Deal
:P
78| And They Were Roommates
79| The Gangnam Gambit
80| No Time To Die
81| The Secrets of Our Fathers
82| Die Another Day
83| The Darkest Hour
84| You Only Live Twice
85| You and Me
:P (pt.2)
86| Tell Me (No) Lies
87| Tell Me (No) Lies Pt.2
:P (pt.3)
88| Old Friends, New Faces
89| Son of the Tiger
90| Negotiations
91| Visits

60| ...But Satisfaction Brought It Back

872 45 121
By Dreamofshadows

previously: jennie got snatched, jinyoung told jisoo his villain origin story, rosie and yang were waiting around and got talking about rosie's late dad.

With a massive grunt, Jennie finally flung off her attacker, both sprawling on the ground. Jennie immediately jumped to her feet again, beyond enraged, both at herself for letting her guard down, and at the attacker.

They hadn't dragged her too far, since she had put up a terrific struggle even when they clapped a hand to her mouth to stifle her shouts.

Jennie backed up now, arms up and ready to fight despite the dim light, heart thundering in her chest.

"Come fight me you little shit—"

"Shut up they're gonna hear ya—"

With a snarl, Jennie charged, heedless of anything but the person before her. Lisa may have been the actual fighter out of the two of them, but Jennie could still throw a punch when needed.

And right now, she really really needed to blast apart the guy who had the audacity to try and kidnap her.

They dodged Jennie's fists, face hidden in shadows as they attempted to trap Jennie's arms. Jennie pushed and pulled frenziedly, striking out and successfully hitting the shins of her opponent who gasped out in pain.

"Jen, stop it—"

"Huh?" In the midst of their scuffle, Jennie paused at the call of her name and dropped her arms. The figure bent over, panting.

"Who are you? How do you know my name?"

"It's me, ya idiot. Momo."

"What?"

The girl raised her face and Jennie stared, now recognising the silhouette and cut of hair—her attacker was no random guy or one of Jinyoung's minions, but her and Lisa's estranged friend.

Jennie's mouth dropped open. "What the—"

"Let's get outta here and talk somewhere else, before someone sees us," Momo said curtly.

"Momo what the hell are you doing—"

"Not now," Momo hissed and simply tugged her away, marching quickly with her head bent down. Jennie had no choice but to follow suit, still trying to comprehend the turn of events.

They walked past the vans in dead silence, with Momo only letting go of Jennie's wrist once they were closer to Rkive's entrance.

"Are you alone?" Momo asked abruptly as they walked. "Is Lisa with you?"

"Why do you care?" Jennie snorted. "Last I remember, you promised to beat my sister to death."

"Things are different now, work with me here," Momo said tersely. Hearing the edge in Momo's voice, with none of her usual snark present had Jennie relent.

"No, Lisa isn't here. I'm waiting for someone else. Momo, what the heck is going on here? And why did you try to strangle me?"

"I wasn't strangling you, I just needed to pull you away for a sec," Momo said. "I've got my car, let's talk there."

Jennie hesitated then followed after the skulking girl, figuring she had plenty of time left before Jisoo showed up again. She couldn't help but stare at Momo's back, wondering how she hadn't immediately recognised her.

Nothing much had changed about the Japanese boxer—she still had her hair in a bob, though now that Jennie looked closer in the light, it seemed whoever cut it did a poor job—the hacked strands stuck out in all directions, like Momo had just rolled out of bed. Jennie found it unusual, not least because she remembered Momo and Lisa earnestly talking about the best methods to keep their bangs in place when engaging in boxing or workouts. Momo also used to fuss a lot about keeping her bob tweaked and sleek.

But that wasn't the only difference—Jennie was disconcerted to note that Momo seemed to be sporting a little paunch now as well, hidden behind her loose T-shirt.

It didn't look like a pregnancy belly but Jennie couldn't help wonder just what had Momo been up to exactly in the months that they hadn't spoken. She wasn't walking with her usual carefree cocky stroll either, instead hunched over and briskly marching ahead.

Once locked inside Momo's car (that was discreetly parked a good five minutes away from the restaurant) they both sank back in their seats and exhaled, relieved that they escaped uncaught.

"You go first," Momo said at length. "What are you doing here?"

Jennie wanted to argue and demand Momo to go first but figured that it would take longer to get her answers if they squabbled back and forth.

"I'm with Jisoo. She was meeting Jinyoung for dinner, you know the Slammer sponsor guy? The son of that pharma tycoon, JYP? I was waiting for her to come back."

"Jisoo?" Momo frowned. "And what? She's meeting him? Why? And why were you mooching around then?"

"Oh that's right, you wouldn't have known. Jisoo...is a friend, at the Vault. We got to know her after you left."

"And she's hooking up with that snake?"

"No," Jennie said sharply, more than she intended. She pursed her mouth. "She's just trying to find out stuff about him."

"Such as?" Momo seemed very keen, her gaze intent on Jennie.

But Jennie held up her hand. "I told you about me. Now you, what are you doing out here? Hooking up with some new chick?"

Momo scowled then looked away. "I'm here to keep an eye out for Dahyun."

"You don't seem very thrilled about it—wait, Dahyun's working here?" Jennie said incredulously.

"Yeah, didn't ya know? Summer job or something, she said." Momo shook her head. "Always poking her nose and getting into trouble dammit, she needs a leash."

"What sort of trouble?" Jennie said, recalling Somi mentioning Dahyun getting a summer job in Incheon. What were the odds of her actually working at Rkive, of all places?

"She's looking into Jinyoung," Momo revealed. "He's a nasty piece of work, Jen. Your Jisoo better watch out."

"I know that." Jennie kept her eyes forward, eyeing the entrance. "A while back, Jinyoung wanted to take Lisa and Seulgi—I mean, the Bear—to a hospital after a brutal match they had. They were both out of it and he acted all worried about them. He was being very insistent, coming on at us with his innocent, concerned sponsor routine, but I didn't buy it for a second. He was up to something."

"Good on you. That really is unusual for sponsors to get so involved."

Jennie glanced at her. "What do you know about him?"

"Nothing that you don't."

"Don't lie, you clearly know he's up to no good, he's got you all antsy. I would't be too surprised if he's the reason you suddenly got into PFB at the Slammer," Jennie pointed out. "What's his deal?"

Momo exhaled. "Fine. Remember I was practically the CEO for Hirai Motors? Yeah, it's game over for me, I'm practically broke now. All because of fricking Jinyoung Park and his dear old dadda. I was looking into him, tryna dig up the dirt they sweep under the rug, but that snake got to me."

"How?"

Momo gestured at the restaurant. "That guy you saw back there? He's one of Jinyoung's lackeys. Jay, he calls them. They all go by that alias, then add a bunch of letters to differentiate. Jay-LX, Jay-GH, Jay-KV...you get the idea. It keeps them anonymous. Anyway, Jinyoung had planted one of them as a mole in my company.

"They screwed me over real good and I was kicked out of the clan as a result, losing all my birthrights to the family business. Been keeping a low profile ever since. Now my girl has gotten mixed up in this shit as well even though I told her to back off so...I'm keeping an eye on her."

A beat of silence passed and Jennie blinked. "When was this? Is it why you didn't go into the Purge?"

"Yeah, it was around that time. Fell right into a deep dark place. And then Dubu came along and told me she's gonna investigate him. I warned her to stay away but she's stubborn as a donkey. So now here I am...babysitting."

"I don't think you're doing much difference sitting out here," Jennie said wryly.

"Like you're doing anything more."

"Well, I don't know what threats you think Dahyun is facing, but Jisoo and I are in contact and the minute she lets me know something's up, I'm in there."

"Threats? You think I don't know what threats there are?" Momo tossed her head back with a mirthless chuckle. "Jennie, you saw that guy disappear behind a wall, and you saw their little underground bunker they have. I scouted out that spot weeks ago. You found their little nest, where all the Jays go before Jinyoung calls them up to go on his errands. Wasn't about to have you trip up and alert them. All my work would go to waste."

"What do they do down there? Does Dahyun know?"

"We're not in contact. She doesn't know I come out here and she's not gonna know," Momo said with a warning note in her voice and Jennie understood: Momo and Dahyun still weren't on civil terms with each other.

"But she might know something—"

"It would mess up things. I'm fairly positive she would have told me if she did find something. She knows about my situation, she came to me with theories." 

Momo ran a frustrated hand through her hair. "I don't know what they do down there, I haven't been able to find out, or even sneak in. I'm also not very equipped to do that right now. No resources whatsoever. I'm waiting on Dubu to uncover something."

"Did you see those two people that came with that Jay?"

"Yeah a man and a woman. They had a suitcase with them."

"You think they're with Jinyoung?"

"Positive. They came in all sneaky with the Jay. I wanted to take a closer look at them but then I saw you sneaking after the Jay and I had to stop you."

"You're saying it's my fault then," Jennie deadpanned.

"Yeah pretty much."

"Charming as ever, Hirai."

"Only for you, Kim."

"What do you think is in that suitcase?" Jennie wondered.

"Could be anything. Drugs. Money. Papers. Did you get a look at the people at all?"

Jennie shook her head. "Not really. And I don't know if they even went into the restaurant or not. Had you seen them before?"

"Nope, nor did I see someone similar. Usually, it's just a Jay by himself, or a group of Jays, they ride in those vans. I tried following after one of them once, driving around. But he lost me, and then I was scared he'd note who I am and come after me or...or after..." Momo's hand clenched on the steering wheel.

Jennie changed the subject. "So Dahyun...why did she want to look into him, exactly?"

Momo sat quiet for a few seconds, enough for Jennie to know she was thinking of a lie when she responded.

"Fraud."

"Bull."

"Well, one of the felonies he's got going on is fraud. I should know, I've seen what he does," Momo argued.

"That's not what I asked," Jennie said sternly. Some instinct was warning her, whispering in her ear that whatever Momo was going to say was no good. But knowing Jisoo was inside talking with a potentially dangerous man had her insides squirming.

She took a deep breath.

"Look, you want the dirt on Jinyoung, I want the dirt on Jinyoung. I thought he was shady, but this racket or whatever is bigger than I thought. I think it's wise if we join forces and work together. The more eyes we have on him, the better, so we should talk to Dahyun too, although if she's in any danger we should convince her to pull out."

Jennie didn't know where the suggestion came from—working with Momo was the furthest idea from her mind, up until Momo had pounced on her.

But now things had changed and hanging on to old grudges seemed unnecessary when they were facing up against a common enemy with a murky agenda. Jennie's mind whirred busily, already thinking of a gameplan.

It was what she did best after all.

"Since when did you get to be so mellow and agreeable?" Momo wondered after the silence stretched out. "Or wait..." A small smile stretched across her face. "It's that Jisoo girl, huh? Nice, nice. Who would have known that Jennie Kim would finally meet her match? Now that's a love story. Does Lisa know? She must have been over the moon."

"What would you know about it anyway?" Jennie grumbled to hide her bashfulness—she had forgotten that for all her arrogance and brawn, Momo could be quite perceptive.

Momo smiled faintly in the lightwash from the restaurant. "Because Dahyun does the same thing for me. Welcome to the L Club, Jen."

She took a deep breath. "Okay I'll...I'll tell you what I know."

Jennie tensed on the edge of her seat in anticipation, freezing up entirely when Momo said: "Have you ever heard about someone called Tiger King?"

>

"That's our cue," Yang grunted with relief as his phone went off. "Stick with me."

As if  I have anywhere else to go, Rosé thought wryly but she didn't say anything and obediently followed in his wake, eager to sit down and eat.

However, upon entering the restaurant and being directed to Jinyoung's spot by the host—who introduced himself as Namjoon—all thoughts of food flew out of her head as Rosé froze on the spot.

Jisoo was sitting and talking with Jinyoung, daintily cutting up a piece of roast chicken and looking for all the world like she belonged in this place, in front of Jinyoung, blending like a chameleon as she nodded and replied to something Jinyoung had said.

She didn't seem ill at ease. She didn't notice Rosé gaping at her from the doorway.

Rosé felt her eyes were about to pop out of their sockets.

Jisoo was gay, she was dating Jennie...wasn't she? What was she doing with Jinyoung?

Wait, she and Jennie had mentioned Jisoo was going to meet with some Jinyoung who was a sponsor at the Slammer...this was the same Jinyoung? The sly and powerful man in cahoots with Yang on the trail of Tiger King? Did Jisoo know the danger she was in? Was Jennie around? What if they saw her?

Yang noticed her shock and nudged her. "Thorn?"

"I can't," she whispered urgently, "code orange."

Immediately, Yang's gaze snapped back to Jinyoung's companion. He frowned but nodded, heeding Rosé's warning.

"What is he playing at..." Yang muttered, brows furrowed, but Rosé didn't care as she shrank behind him, desperately wishing the earth would swallow her up.

They had numerous codes for a variety of emergencies. Code Orange signified that people close to Rosé were around, which meant a lot of complications if she was seen with Yang, and that was definitely something neither Rosé nor Yang wanted.

Yang quickly took charge after recovering. "Alright, change of plans. Namjoon, take her out back to meet your boss's middleman. I'll handle Jinyoung and his missus. Thorn, don't let the suitcase out of your sight until they tell you the password." 

And in a blink, Namjoon whisked Rosé away before anybody could notice.

>

"...and believe me, that wouldn't be the last time. How's the chicken by the way?" Jinyoung asked as his latest anecdote came to a close. His nose was turning red but his movements weren't sloppy as he neatly sawed his sirloin steak into pieces before forking them up one by one.

"Very good, thank you," Jisoo said sincerely. 

She was thoroughly enjoying every morsel and only wished she could have Jennie for company instead of Jinyoung. He wasn't a bad host by any means but the surreptitious glances he kept shooting in her direction whenever he thought Jisoo wasn't looking kept her on edge.

The story with his father and brother had captured her interest, and the way he kept casually inserting Jennie's name into the conversation was certainly suspicious.

At one point, he had even commented how lucky Jennie must be if she'd ever consider dating Jisoo.

"I mean, you two are already tight and I noticed her being extra protective of you when I was around so I was wondering when things would go from friendly to—"

"Jennie and I are just friends. She doesn't swing that way," Jisoo informed stiffly.

"Oh, I'm losing my filter," he chuckled sheepishly, raising his wine glass. "Excuse my careless remarks. Well, do you have anyone else you got your eyes on?"

"None whatsoever." 

They had moved on from that topic to something more light-hearted: unlucky dates, of which  Jinyoung had plenty to spare, if his stories were to be believed

Now, Jinyoung glanced to the side just as Jisoo noticed a lumbering figure at the corner of her eye making his way towards them.

Jinyoung perked up, recognising the man. He waved him over. "Yang-ssi! Sit sit, I've been expecting you! Sorry we were just eating, would you like something for yourself?"

Jisoo observed the older man that joined them. The first thing she noticed was the jarring scar that disfigured half of his face. He didn't seem to be insecure about this fact at all, nor did he glare or shy away from her shocked stare. He merely gazed back, equal parts curious and wary.

"Jinyoung-ssi," spoke the man, Yang. His voice was reedy and thick from smoke. "I didn't know we'd be having company. I would have waited—"

"No no it's alright, we were just having fun and we lost track of time, didn't we, Jisoo? Jisoo, this is a business partner of mine, Mr Yang. And Yang-ssi, I'd like you to meet my friend, Kim Jisoo."

"A pleasure," Yang said crisply but he didn't give her his hand. His eyes were now fixed on Jinyoung, mouth pursed in displeasure. Jisoo went back to her chicken, quietly wondering how she could excuse herself from the sudden tense atmosphere that enveloped the table. Only Jinyoung seemed to be unaware, serenely launching into some inane one-sided conversation with Yang who sat like a stony statue.

The classic bathroom excuse, Jisoo thought quickly. Maybe I'll fake cramps.

"Would you excuse me?" Jisoo asked politely as she picked her purse, "going for a quick trip to the bathroom."

Jinyoung gestured behind him. "Two doors down past the bar, you can't miss it."

>

"What are you up to, boy?" Yang hissed the moment Jisoo had left but Jinyoung raised a finger to his lips as he made a quick call. 

"Joon, my good man, could you have our lovely newest staff member go down to the basement? Thanks."

Yang's fist clenched the single fork laid out next to his cold empty plate until Jinyoung finished and pocketed his phone. "What are you playing at?"

"Always so impatient, Yang-ssi." Jinyoung smiled wider when he noted Yang's knuckles turning white. "Did you get me my product?"

"They're with Thorn. I sent her ahead seeing as you're busy romancing your next slut, who, for your information, also happens to be her neighbour."

Jinyoung chuckled. "My next slut? Hardly, my friend. She's already taken, you would have noticed that if you weren't so busy glaring at me. We're simply friends. As for her status as your runner's neighbour, I'm perfectly aware."

"You knew? You could have jeopardised the whole situation if she saw Thorn! Thankfully, Thorn noticed just in time!" Yang snarled under his breath. "What the hell are you doing, you half-assed piece of—"

"I'd watch your mouth if I were you," Jinyoung said placidly as he poured himself some more wine. "This isn't the wisest place to go up against me."

Yang set his jaw. "Were you banking on Jisoo seeing Thorn? Why?"

"Now you're thinking! And why do you think? To spice things up with the girlies! But don't worry, I have something else planned."

"What are you talking about?"

Jinyoung inspected his glass, swirled the wine inside it leisurely then took a thoughtful sip.

"Let's just say that maybe Thorn better keep her eyes peeled. The night is still young."

"That phone call," Yang said slowly, piecing things together, "it had something to do with your plan, didn't it?"

Jinyoung merely smiled, baring his teeth.

>

"Dahyun, Chef Silva said he's nearly out of scallions, get some from the store please? A crate will do. You can lift a crate right?" Namjoon said as he burst inside the staffroom unceremoniously.

Dahyun nodded as she gulped down her water. It had been a busy night at Rkive but Namjoon had been keeping strangely scarce. She supposed he was busy directing the staff and seating people.

"Sure, how heavy can a crate of scallions be?"

Namjoon smiled, dimples showing, and checked something off his clipboard. "That's my girl."

He left, leaving Dahyun with warm cheeks as she shook her head, flung her water bottle into her locker and slammed the locker door shut.

Get a grip, you fall for anyone who smiles at you, she scolded herself.

She had been warming up to the gangly manager who incredibly, still kept up his good humour on the job despite the veneer of professionalism he maintained on the floor. 

Though Dahyun hadn't been remotely interested in the job itself beyond seeking to unearth information on Jinyoung, she found herself getting involved and interesting herself when Namjoon would call her over to the bar during a lull to explain about wine lists and wine pairings or coach her to handle herself better with patrons. 

"We're not some top business hotel but it's still our bread and butter so we gotta make sure we give our best. Everyone likes money, we like to get paid, don't we?" he had said.

Namjoon always corrected her in such a proactive but encouraging manner that Dahyun wondered why Rkive wasn't absolutely booked with other staff. He was easy going but firm, handling difficult patrons with grace whilst cracking jokes when they gathered in the staffroom later after shifts.

Dahyun shook her head and made her way to the storeroom. Getting distracted whilst she was on the lookout to infiltrate the seemingly impenetrable wall Jinyoung protected himself with was laughable.

The storeroom was in the recess of Rkive beneath the kitchens and Dahyun easily found the crate of scallions.

But just as she was heading back up the stairs, she heard voices beyond the exit door, from where they brought in supplies.

And both voices—a male and a female speaking tersely— sounded suspiciously familiar.

The old spark of curiosity returned for Dahyun who quietly put down the crate then approached the door, feeling her way carefully in the dim light until she felt the cool metal against her fingertips.

She leaned against it and listened.

>

Rosé was still on high alert after she had been nearly discovered by Jisoo. Her nerves were jangled as she did her utmost to breathe and calm down.

If Jisoo had looked up...

She had a job to do before she could finally escape and go back home to Lisa and Ella, climb in bed with them and cuddle. She had left them with a heavy heart, as she always did when she had to go, despite trying to remain upbeat and cheerful for both of them. 

Lisa had kissed her for a longer time than usual, squeezing her close and whispering seductively in her ear.

"Do you have to go? Can't you phone in sick?" Lisa said, tenderly kissing the inside of her wrist in a move so subtly romantic and sexy at the same time that for a moment Rosé stuttered.

"I-I can't," she said breathily, vaguely trying to remember why. Lisa overpowered her, but she went along with the flow just as willingly. Lisa kissed her neck and Rosé's knees almost buckled.

"Baby, please," she pleaded, not for lack of enjoyment. "Ella's here, and my boss—"

"I'm sure he'll understand," Lisa coaxed, "I'll be a good girl and behave while we watch the movie...until later." 

"Oh no you don't," Rosé said, using enormous amount of willpower to break out of the lusty haze and reluctantly push Lisa away, giggling as she did so. "You've gotten so naughty."

"Can't help it, I had my eyes opened and now I can't get enough,"  Lisa grinned before she leaned in and kissed her softly. "Have a good shift baby, I'll put Ella to bed and wait up."

"You don't have to," Rosé said, hopeful. She melted against Lisa when she hugged her and kissed her cheek.

"But I want to. I love you. If I'm asleep, wake me."

Rosé shook herself out of her thoughts when she heard approaching footsteps and instinctively stiffened when a taller man peeled away from the shadows and came to stand in front of her, the single light above their heads illuminating his face.

"You are not going," the man said. Rosé immediately relaxed and nodded in approval—the man had passed his first test by using that sentence, which initials of every word formed the word 'Yang'.

She brought out the suitcase from behind her back and tapped it three times. The man immediately tapped his brow three times then two times in reply. The second check.

Yang had always been fastidious with these checks and passwords, changing them frequently, and he expected the people involved in the trades to keep up as well. It helped him weed out moles and impostors many times.

"I'm Jackson, you must be Thorn?"

"Yes. Password please."

It suddenly occurred to Rosé that she was completely unarmed and unguarded. If the man wanted to hurt her, he could. But she wasn't as worried—this was a pre-paid transaction so no money was involved.

"Tiger King," said Jackson.

Rosé nodded and was about to hand him the suitcase when she paused, frowning as she squinted at him.

"Have we met?"

She didn't mean to blurt it out, really there was no need for any more talking after the transaction was over, but ever since he had stepped into the light and opened his mouth, Rosé was struck with the uncanny feeling that she had crossed paths with him  before, and it was't while on the job.

Jackson on his part instead of shrugging dismissively or giving some non-committal answer, paused and averted his eyes, his grip tight around the suitcase handle but Rosé didn't let go.

"We have met," she said, searching his face.

"It's a small world," he said tightly, "maybe it was somebody else at the hospital."

He clapped a hand to his mouth just as Rosé released the suitcase in shock.

"You...in the hospital..." It all came flashing back: the friendly phlebotomist that drew Lisa's blood and entertained Ella. Jackson didn't move as she stared at him in horror.

"Were you there because Yang asked you to?" Rosé whispered. "Is...is everyone around me..."

She inhaled sharply as Jackson suddenly pushed her back against the door, thumping against the metal. 

"What—"

"Don't ask too much. Or you'll be in trouble," Jackson whispered urgently, "but know this: they're after your girlfriend."

"Why are you telling me?" Heart drummed in her chest, ominous and foreboding.

He stilled and Rosé thought he wasn't going to reply but his shaky breath was loud next to her ear. She could smell his faint musky scent, so jarringly different from Lisa's smell.

"Someone's listening," he whispered right in her ear, "behind you."

Rosé didn't know if it was some random person or one of the Jays but she wasn't about to leave it to chance. Carefully, she edged forward just as Jackson stepped backwards until they were standing a good few paces away, and then they embraced simultaneously.

"Were you followed?" Jackson whispered next to her ear. Rosé in turn rested her head on his shoulder and whispered back as well. The shape and feel of his body against her was all wrong, a far cry from Lisa's comforting hold.

"No. I checked. I didn't come out from that door. It's the restaurant storeroom."

"Leave them to me and go," he said tersely.

"Why did you tell me about Lisa?"

She had to know. Jackson hadn't seemed insincere or vague or calculating, like Yang or Jinyoung. Appearances deceive of course but Jackson was currently pressed up against her body and Rosé didn't feel as much unease as when Yang or Jinyoung were anywhere remotely near, which spoke for something.

"I thought I was creating something amazing. Something phenomenal for the betterment of people. I was willing to...make sacrifices," she heard him sigh. "I'm not so sure anymore..."

>

Dahyun was breathing hard, still processing the incoherent mumbles and the voices outside, just beyond the door. She was rooted to the spot, the crate of scallions that she was supposed to take up to the kitchen all but forgotten as she scrambled to make sense of the snatches of the terse conversation she overheard.

All she knew for sure was she heard Jackson, heard him stating his name.

Jackson, who was supposed to be out of the country.

Jackson who was up to something shady, talking to a woman that she knew, before they had fallen silent or walked away.

But Dahyun was positive that she had heard that female voice before, she just needed to think—

The door behind Dahyun gave way and she fell back, caught completely off-guard as she slammed to the ground and then blinked up as Jackson loomed over her. He was holding a suitcase and he didn't look happy.

"Hi," Dahyun said stupidly. "Fancy seeing you here."

Jackson didn't smile but looked up just as Dahyun heard a pair of footsteps approaching hurriedly. Arching her head up to get a better look, she spotted Namjoon's silhouette making its way towards them as he maneuvered his bulk past the shelves. He crouched down beside Dahyun.

"Are you hurt?" he asked then glanced at Jackson, frowning. "This place is off limits," he said sternly, "leave before I call security."

Jackson gave Dahyun one last look before he melted away into the night.

"You didn't show up. I got worried," Namjoon said in concern as Dahyun stood up and stiffly dusted herself.

"I'm fine."

She wasn't fine. 

"You sure? He didn't attack you?"

"He was just standing out there talking to someone. And then he pulled the door open because he heard me or something."

She wasn't fine. Jackson was here again, at Rkive, at the place where his cousin was plotting something devious, and she had as yet to make a breakthrough, to find proof, a scrap of evidence that would prove she wasn't going crazy and that what was going on was far bigger than she could have possibly imagined or theorised.

 And it turns out that Jackson had been lying all along, because of course he was. 

She had been stupid to believe him. Had he ever even spoken a lick of truth?

What had been in the suitcase? What was he working on? She had caught so little of their conversation, except for the woman's shock for recognising him somewhere. A hospital?

And just like their fateful last meeting, Jackson had caught her and then disappeared without answering her burning questions.

"Dahyun."

"What?" she said, a little more sharply than she intended as she slammed down the crate in its corner. Namjoon didn't flinch and raised his voice over the noisy sizzling and shouts in the kitchen.

"We need to tell the boss about that guy. Do you know him? He was loitering on the premises. I didn't even know that the basement door wasn't locked, someone forgot. It could be a serious breach of security. I need to let him know—"

"You know what?" Dahyun said as she came to a decision and fixed Namjoon with her best poker face. "I'll tell him about it myself when we're done here. He's dining out there right now, but later he will go to his office won't he? I'll tell him then."

She had learned his routine, knew that he stayed late in his office, but could never find a good enough time (or excuse) to sneak in and sniff around.

The time had come to confront Jinyoung, because she was tired of waiting, tired of digging to find answers. That method had gotten her nothing but more questions and sleepless nights and exhaustion. 

Her frustration only mounted whenever Jinyoung glided past her like the snake he was, serene and smug and untouchable as he smiled and nodded at the staff like a benevolent god while as she restrained the urge to throttle him.

Her reckless curiosity might just get her killed, but if she gets the satisfaction of actual answers, well, it might just bring her back too, like the proverbial curious cat. Her hands were suddenly clammy and she wiped them down her front absently.

"But it will be late, your bus..." Namjoon, ever the gentleman, seemed unable to take a hint. 

"I've got this," Dahyun said tightly. I've got this, I've got this. "I'll call my roommate for a ride, it's no big deal. And I'm sure I won't be long, it's just a report, isn't it? I'll be in and out before you know it."

 Momo. I should tell Momo. I should...

Namjoon gave her a long piercing stare before he shrugged, resigned. "Fine. Back to work ."

*******************************

hmmm :))))))))))

thanks for the votes, comments and reads! 

and sorry for the late update, i had been working on a shorter fic (shameless plug incoming) called Lock & Key that i wrote with StanThinMints  and it has some pretty fluffy chaelisa, guaranteed. It's historical fantasy-ish if that would be something up your lane, and completed!

jisoo is killing it in snowdrop, can't wait to see how it will all turn out though i fear it won't be a happy ending  :P

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

34.6K 2.1K 23
Jennie had everything together. She was the head CEO of her father's company. She worked around the clock. All her employees hated her because she wa...
194K 7.4K 97
Never had the interest in getting married or involving in any kinds of special relationship. Everything feels chaotic when they are told to get marri...
72.1K 2.6K 30
tells the poignant tale of childhood sweethearts, Jennie and Lisa, whose paths diverged when Lisa's family faced financial hardships, forcing her to...
27.9K 817 56
Lisa hated her. Everything about her. Fucking Miss Perfect. Rich parents, pretty face, good grades and by the way also the schools student representa...