𝐒𝐓𝐀𝐓𝐄 πŽπ… 𝐆𝐑𝐀𝐂𝐄 ―...

By -JASONSGRACE

we fall in love till it hurts or bleeds or fades in time. [ barry allen x original character ] [ book one in... More

disclaimer
state of grace
epigraph
TWO
THREE
FOUR
FIVE
SIX
SEVEN
EIGHT
NINE
TEN
ELEVEN
TWELVE
THIRTEEN
FOURTEEN
FIFTEEN
SIXTEEN
SEVENTEEN
EIGHTEEN
NINETEEN
TWENTY
TWENTY-ONE
TWENTY-TWO
TWENTY-THREE
TWENTY-FOUR
TWENTY-FIVE
author's note
TWENTY-SIX
TWENTY-SEVEN
TWENTY-EIGHT
TWENTY-NINE
THIRTY
THIRTY-ONE
THIRTY-TWO
THIRTY-THREE
THIRTY-FOUR
THIRTY-FIVE
THIRTY-SIX
THIRTY-SEVEN
THIRTY-EIGHT
THIRTY-NINE
FORTY
author's note
FORTY-ONE
FORTY-TWO
FORTY-THREE
FORTY-FOUR
FORTY-FIVE
FORTY-SIX
FORTY-SEVEN
FORTY-EIGHT
FORTY-NINE
FIFTY
SEQUEL

ONE

16.7K 536 281
By -JASONSGRACE

⊱ ──────── {.⋅ ✯ ⋅.} ──────── ⊰

𝗦𝗧𝗔𝗧𝗘 𝗢𝗙 𝗚𝗥𝗔𝗖𝗘

CHAPTER ONE
lightning strikes

⊱ ──────── {.⋅ ✯ ⋅.} ──────── ⊰

OKAY, LISTEN. JULIET St. James definitely still had these huge stupid feelings for Barry Allen that she had when she was younger, but boy, did he manage to annoy her at times.

It wasn't unlike Barry to be late. However, as Juliet stood there on the streets of Central City by a crime scene by herself — for probably the fifth investigation in a row — annoyance ran through her veins. He was always running in at the last possible minute that Captain Singh would give him, and the CPPD couldn't start the investigation until both CSI's were there to get evidence. That meant that Juliet had to wait for Barry to come, however long it took. So there she waited, her arms crossed over her chest and her eyes anxiously glancing to the watch on her wrist multiple times as she leaned against one of the pillars outside of the bank.

"Second robbery this week," Fred Chyre announced, and Juliet turned to see him and Joe West (basically a second father to Juliet) approach her.

"The teller I.D.'d Clyde Mardon as the shooter," Joe revealed.

"What? Oh, jeez, the Mardon brothers are back?"

"What do we got?" Captain Singh asked as he joined their small group.

Joe handed him two pictures that showed the mugshots of the Mardon brothers. "Perps took the bank, shot out the cameras, and as a chaser, killed the security guard over there." He nodded his head over to the body covered in a yellow tarp that laid on the road. "I've got unis kicking in doors of known Mardon brothers associates."

"CSI been over it?" Captain Singh suddenly asked, and Juliet turned to see him, Joe West (basically a second father to Juliet ), and Fred Chyre group around outside the bank.

Joe looked down at the ground, obviously embarrassed by the fact Barry was late. "Uh, no."

"St. James," Singh voiced, and Juliet looked up to meet his gaze. "Where's Allen?"

She shrugged, because truthfully, she had absolutely no idea. "I'm not sure, Captain."

Singh sighed. "Look, St. James, I know you two are friends, but you can't cover for him forever. If he doesn't come soon—"

"I know," she interrupted.

Barry — as if on cue — then ran up to stand beside Juliet, out of breath from running with his own CSI case slung across his shoulder. "Sorry I'm late, Captain Singh." He then looked down at the girl beside him. "Sorry, Juliet."

"What was it this time, Mr. Allen?" Singh questioned. "Did you forget to set your alarm clock? Before you answer, I should remind you the excuse you gave last time was car trouble. Want to know why that one was particularly memorable?"

"I do not own a car."

"He was running an errand for me," Joe quickly cut in, turning to Barry with an intense gaze. "Barry, did you get me what I asked for?"

"Yeah, yeah, I did," Barry replied. He rummaged around in his pockets. "I have it right . . ." He then pulled out a half-eaten chocolate bar, making Juliet pinch the bridge of her nose in frustration. "Here." Joe took it with a disappointed expression. "I had a few bites of it."

Singh glared at Barry. "If this happens again, St. James is doing all of the work that is supposed to be for the two of you, just like she is right now. Got it?" Barry nodded rapidly, and Singh turned back to Juliet. "Go on."

Juliet pulled on a pair of black gloves before stepping over the body. She glanced around for a moment to see if any evidence was left behind, and she saw some in the form of car tracks. Her eyebrows knit in confusion as she got down on her knees to look at it. As she studied it, all of the facts came to mind — rear super-wide tires that were twelve inches wide and had an asymmetrical tread.

She looked back at everyone. "The Mardon brothers used a Mustang Shelby GT-five-hundred as their getaway car. That specific car has rear super-wide tires that are twelve inches and have an asymmetrical tread." Her attention then focused back on the car tracks, which also had small pieces of some sort of substance on it. "And there's something else here as well. Barry, can you hand me something to pick this up with?"

Barry then handed her a pen. Juliet used it to pick up the residue that was left behind. As she stood up, she examined it closer while pulling a plastic bag out of the back pocket of her jeans.

"Seems to be fecal excrement, most likely from an animal," Juliet stated.

"My dad gave me that pen before he died," Chyre said to Barry as Juliet put it in the plastic bag."

Barry squirmed under the glare Juliet sent him. "Sorry."

Singh, Joe, and Chyre then walked away, leaving Juliet and Barry there by themselves. Juliet stared up at him intently while Barry avoided her gaze.

"Again, Barry?" Juliet inquired in exasperation.

"I'm sorry, J," Barry told her, clearly exasperated. "I really didn't mean to be late."

She rolled her eyes. "How many times have I heard that one before?"

"Okay, but I have a good excuse this time. I was coming back from Starling City. You know, the trip I told you about?"

"Oh, right. How was searching for the impossible?"

"If you're going to tell me I'm crazy just like everyone else—" Barry began.

"That's not what I was going to say." Juliet let out a deep breath. "We can talk about it later if you want, but right now we have to work on this case."

Barry nodded. "Yeah, okay. You hungry?"

"If you're suggesting Big Belly Burger, then the answer is yes."

He smiled at her, the same one that always made her weak to her knees. "I'll get your usual."

She grinned back at him. "See you back at the lab."

Barry then walked off in the direction of Big Belly Burger. Juliet watched him do so for a moment before shaking her head with a sigh. However infuriating Barry Allen might've been, she always seemed to forgive him.

Since it wasn't that far away, Juliet decided to walk back to CCPD. She then went upstairs to her and Barry's lab so she could start working on things for the investigation. After putting the sample in the tester, she sat down at her desk and went over everything about the robbery today and about the Mardon brothers on her computer. She was so invested in looking at the Mardon brothers' criminal record that the only thing that snapped her out of her trance was a bag of food and a drink being placed in front of her.

"For you," Barry stated.

"Thanks," Juliet responded, pulling the French fries out of her bag as Barry went over to his desk. She ate one before leaning back in her chair and looking over at Barry. "This is the second Mardon brothers robbery this week, and it probably won't be their last — not until we find out where they're hiding from that sample I got."

"Is there anything on their criminal records that allude to where they could potentially be hiding out?"

She glanced back at her computer screen. "Not that I found. I mean, maybe I missed something—"

"Okay, I am ready to see this atom smasher . . . smashing," the voice of Iris West then began, and Juliet turned her head to see her best friend walking into the lab.

"Hey, Iris," Juliet greeted, but she then frowned. "And I'm sorry, but there was a shooting today."

Barry nodded in agreement while placing a sticky note on the map of central city. "Your dad needs us to process some evidence, which means that we don't know if we're going to be able to make it to S.T.A.R. Labs."

"But seeing this thing turn on is like your dreams," Iris argued. "Your sad, little, nerdy dreams." She then took one of Barry's fries and ate it. "Besides, I cancelled a date for this."

Barry pulled the container of fries away from her. "Hands off my fries. Unbelievable."

Juliet rolled her eyes. She then held out her own container of fries to Iris. Iris' face lit up again and she took two before wrapping an arm around Juliet's shoulders.

"You see, Barry, this is why I love Juliet more," Iris announced. "Thanks for your fries, Jules, because I'm seriously stress eating over my dissertation. We started selling cronuts at Jitters, I ate two today. If I don't graduate soon, I'm gonna be more muffin top than woman."

"Hey," Juliet scolded, elbowing Iris in her side. "Don't say that. You're gorgeous, Iris."

"You look amazing," Barry agreed.

Juliet forced herself to look away from Barry's lovey-dovey facial expression as he stared at Iris for her own sake. She was seriously so stupid — her crush hadn't progressed anywhere, and there was no way her and Barry would ever happen, not with Iris right there. Iris didn't seem to notice Barry's gaze and scoffed before picking up a magazine on the table. But deep down inside, Juliet's stupid feelings were wishing that Barry could look at her in that way.

"What is so important about this Particle Accelerator anyway?" Iris asked.

"Harrison Wells' work in quantum theory is light years ahead of anything they're doing at Cern," Barry explained, his eyes lighting up at being able to talk about science.

Iris blinked. "You're doing that thing where you're not speaking English."

"Okay." Barry walked over to one of the whiteboards. "Just imagine . . ." He picked up a black marker and drew small dot. "That that dot is everything the human race has ever learned until this moment."

"Does that include twerking?"

"Unfortunately," Juliet told her with a small laugh.

Barry then drew a large circle around the dot. "That is everything we could learn from the Particle Accelerator. It's a whole new way of looking at physics. It will literally change the way that we think about everything."

Iris put her hands on Barry's shoulders. "You've got to get yourself a girlfriend."

She then looked over at Juliet and winked subtly. Juliet's eyes widened and she averted her gaze, feeling her face burn a bright shade of scarlet.

"Hey, leave them alone," Joe voiced. "They're working."

Iris smiled. "Hi, dad." The tester then beeped from an alert on Juliet's computer. "Your test thingy is done."

Juliet looked at her own computer to see what the test had found. She studied it for a moment before an idea sparked in her head. Juliet pulled up a map of the more agricultural part of Central City and used the evidence to pinpoint four locations. She quickly printed out the addresses of the four locations on a sheet of paper before turning around her computer screen, showing Joe, Iris, and Barry the map with the four locations.

"The Mardon brothers are probably hiding out on a farm," Juliet revealed. "I actually found cow manure on the street outside of the bank and it contained traces of oxytetracycline. That's an antibiotic used in feed, and only four farms in the area use it." She then handed Joe the piece of paper with the addresses. "You'll most likely find a pretty cool Mustang parked at one."

Iris put her arm around Joe. "Dad, seeing as how Jules and Barry solved your poop problem, how about letting them go to S.T.A.R. Labs?"

Juliet looked at him with a pleading glance, her heart racing with anticipation. She had to see the Particle Accelerator turn on. It would be such a life-changing moment. Joe considered it for a moment before he grinned.

"Fine, go," Joe approved.

Juliet's face broke out into a wide smile as she got up from her chair. She quickly jogged over to the hook by the door where her coat was.

"Thank you, Joe," Barry told him.

"You're the best!" Juliet called to him over her shoulder.

And together, Juliet, Barry, and Iris ran out of the door, laughter of happiness spilling past their lips as they went to go see the future happen right in front of their eyes.

ϟ ···················· ϟ ···················· ϟ

JULIET, BARRY, AND Iris were always a trio. It had been that way ever since they were little. Juliet and Iris were best friends first, but Barry fit right in when the two girls met them. No one would see any of the three without each other. They were inseparable, something that definitely didn't change as they grew older.

It was also a common occurrence for Juliet and Barry to be seen at Iris' house. Juliet's parents had to go out on frequent business trips for their jobs, so her and her little sister Noelle practically lived at Iris' house. As for Barry, well, he actually lived at Iris' house. Joe took him in after his mom died and his dad got arrested.

And now, as they walked together — Juliet's arm linked through Iris' while Iris' other arm was linked through Barry's so they wouldn't get lost in the crowd of people forming around S.T.A.R. labs — Juliet could feel something changing. Maybe it was her own feelings for Barry, or Barry's feelings for Iris, or maybe something else. But she could tell that something was about to happen, and she didn't know what.

"So, Barry, how was your trip?" Iris questioned. "Did you find proof of the impossible in Starling City, or did you just make my dad and Jules mad for no reason?"

"I wasn't mad," Juliet protested. "Just . . . annoyed that I had to wait."

"Actually, while I was away, I had a chance to think about . . . you know, relationships," Barry admitted. "And well, I'm not in one, and you're not in one either. And you're my best friend, Iris."

Oh boy, here we go again with Barry Allen breaking my stupid pathetic heart, Juliet thought to herself, looking at anything else but Barry and Iris as she placed her hands in her pockets. God, why do I keep doing this to myself?

"You're mine too," Iris responded. "You too, Jules." She nudged Juliet's side with her elbow, making the smallest of smiles appear on her face. "Why else would I be here?"

"That's not what I meant," Barry voiced. "What I—"

"I know what you're gonna say, Barry."

"I'm not sure you do."

"Even though we pretty much grew up in the same house together — Juliet and Noelle too — and we're all kind of like brother and sisters, because we're not brother and sisters, it can get really weird and awkward to talk to me or Juliet about girls. But I just want you to know that it shouldn't be awkward. There is nothing that I want more than for you to meet the right person that totally loved and adores you for the amazing guy that you are. Do you agree, Jules?"

Juliet nodded, forcing a smile on her face. "Yep. Barry, you know, if you need girl talk . . . we're here."

Barry laughed, obviously pained by Iris' speech. "Took the words right out of my mouth."

"Aw, aren't you glad that Juliet and I know you so well?" Iris replied.

Suddenly, the crowd began to cheer. Juliet looked up to see that none other than Dr. Harrison Wells was coming up on the stage in front of them. Her eyes widened in shock and she began to clap as she watched her idol walk to the podium.

He held up a hand to stop the applause. "Thank you. My name is Harrison Wells. Tonight, the future begins. The work my team and I will do here will change out understanding of physics. We'll bring about advancements in power, advancements in medicine, and trust me, that future will be here faster than you think."

Juliet began to clap again, but all of the sudden, she was pushed to the ground. Her head hit the concrete and she groaned, a sharp pain shooting through her head.

"Oh my God, Juliet!" Iris yelled, her voice far away. "Hey, my laptop! It's got my dissertation."

She vaguely heard the sound of rapid footsteps running away, but it was ultimately overpowered by the ringing in her ears. Juliet opened her eyes and blinked a couple times so the sky and buildings would become less blurry. She pressed a hand to her head and sat up.

Iris kneeled next to her and put a hand on her shoulder. "Are you all right, Jules?"

Juliet rubbed the spot on her head that was hit. "Uh, yeah, I think so."

Iris helped her stand up. Juliet stopped for a moment to regain her balance since she was dizzy and the throbbing in her head was making it hard to focus. She took a deep breath and opened her eyes again to see Detective Eddie Thawne taking the thief away in handcuffs with Barry right behind them. Iris kept an arm around Juliet as they approached Barry.

Barry put his hands on Juliet's shoulders. "You okay? That looked like a hard fall."

"Yeah, I'm fine," Juliet answered, too disoriented to notice the butterflies in her stomach. She then looked up to see some bleeding cuts on his face. "What about you?"

"Just great."

Eddie then came up to the three of them, examining both Juliet and Barry. "We should get you two back to CCPD. I'll drive."

One short car ride later, Juliet was sitting upstairs with Barry and Iris while Eddie went to go talk about his accomplishment with the other police officers. They provided a tissue for Barry's bleeding nose and an ice pack for Juliet's head. Once the coolness of the ice pack touched her head, Juliet sighed in relief.

"Who is that guy, and what is he so proud of?" Iris inquired, her gaze on Eddie. "So he caught a mugger?"

"His name's Eddie Thawne," Juliet told her. "He just transferred here from Keystone a few weeks ago."

"Oh, that's Detective Pretty Boy," Iris realized. She then noticed the confused expression on Barry's face. "That's what my dad calls him. Says he actually keeps score when it comes to arrests. He is pretty, though."

Juliet held up her hand for a high-five. "Amen."

Iris obliged, the two of them completely oblivious to how Barry sighed and looked down at his hands.

The three of them talked for a little while until Juliet's head started to feel better, which meant that she could go back to the lab. She looked over at Barry already about to suggest going upstairs, and her eyes softened at the solemn expression on his face. Even though she liked him, it was obvious that he was hurting that the night hadn't turned out the way he wanted to with Iris.

Juliet nudged Barry's arm with her elbow, and he looked over at her. "Let's go upstairs, yeah?"

Barry nodded and stood up, Juliet doing so as well. "We'll see you later, Iris."

Iris waved. "Bye, Barry. Bye, Juliet. I'll see you tomorrow."

Juliet and Barry walked up the stairs. When they got to their lab, Barry immediately went over to the window and stared out of it. Juliet frowned as she walked through a puddle of water on the floor, one that was caused by the rain coming in from the open roof window. She then studied Barry as he continued to look out the window.

She raised an eyebrow. "Girl talk time?"

Barry turned and blinked at her. "Oh, you were actually serious about that."

"Of course I was." Juliet crossed her arms. "I'm sorry things didn't work out with Iris tonight. I know how much you like her, and . . . I just don't think she got it."

Barry shook his head and turned on the computer. "I'll guess she'll never love me the way I love her."

I know the feeling, Juliet thought, but she quickly pushed it away. She didn't get a chance to say anything else because the news came on. Juliet took off her jacket while she watched the reporter cover a story.

"I'm Linda Park, and we're live outside S.T.A.R. Labs despite the inclement weather, which is only going to get worse," the reporter was saying. "The torrential downpour has in no way affected the Particle Accelerator, which is up and running smoothly according to S.T.A.R. Labs CEO Harrison Wells. The weather has also . . ."

Juliet found herself not listening to the story anymore as she watched Barry take a news article over to the bulletin board. She leaned herself against the desk and watched as Barry pulled up the map to reveal a crime scene board surrounding his mother's murder. Juliet's eyes turned sad as Barry pinned the article up. He then stood back and looked at the board as thunder and lightning rumbled across the sky.

"Have you gone to see your dad recently?" Juliet questioned softly, breaking the silence.

"Yeah," Barry responded, not looking away from the board. "He's doing all right. I just . . . I just wish that people would believe me. He didn't do it."

"I believe you," Juliet reassured him. "I might not have been there that night, but sometimes . . . the impossible can be possible. Just like right now with the Particle Accelerator."

Suddenly, alarms echoed from the news on the computer. Juliet turned and looked at the screen in concern, Barry coming up and standing beside her to watch as well.

"Wait, we're now being told to evacuate the facility," the reporter revealed. "The storm may have caused a malfunction to the primary cooling system. Officials are now trying to shut down the Particle Accelerator, but so far have been unable to regain control of the system—"

The screen then went completely black. Juliet then looked up to see a large, bright, red explosion come from S.T.A.R. Labs, sending a shockwave through the city. Her eyes widened at the sight and she struggled to find the right words to say.

"Holy shit," Juliet whispered. "Um, Barry, maybe we should close the roof."

Barry walked over to the chain that would close the roof. He began to pull on them, and Juliet cautiously approached him, standing beside their rack of chemicals. However, Barry stopped pulling all of the sudden. Juliet's eyebrows knit in confusion at the action, but she soon followed his gaze to see what he was looking at. Her body froze in shock as she saw all the chemicals suspend in midair, exactly like what Barry had said they had done the night his mom died.

"What . . ." Juliet trailed off quietly to herself.

The sky rumbled with thunder, and before any of them could move, a bolt of lightning brought itself down on Barry. A large piece of glass from the roof hit one of the beakers of chemical, making the red liquid spill all over Juliet. She completely ignored the burning feeling all over and and gasped at the sight of Barry's body being knocked back from the lightning.

"Barry!" she screamed, fear and adrenaline coursing through her veins as she ran over to his unconscious body and kneeled next to him.

Juliet touched his shoulder to try and wake him up, but a red spark emitted from him and touched her own skin. Her entire body began to glow a bright shade of red, and the last thing Juliet saw was a blast of scarlet energy fly from her hand before she completely blacked out.

ϟ

AYOOOOO WELCOME TO STATE OF GRACE BESTIES <3 this is a story about two little cuties that go by the names of barry and juliet <3

it's kelly back at it again with another friends to lovers fic bc that's apparently all I know how to write 🏃🏻‍♂️🏃🏻‍♂️🏃🏻‍♂️

not sure how I delved back into my barry allen obsession. actually that's a lie let's be real that man has been the fucking love of my life for four year like GOD he's so hot

also season one of the flash was like so top tier I wish I was as happy now as I was when I watched season one

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

406K 14.7K 64
unknown number: leon i swear if you don't give me back my pants, i'm going to murder you! barry: i'm not leon but good luck on the pants In which...
136K 3.3K 55
BOOK ONE To: Barry Allen and Tori Baker Good luck on this journey ahead Sincerely, someone you will k...
85.6K 2.4K 85
After helping Supergirl defeat Non and Mydrid, Barry finds out a troubling secret back in Central City. There's meta humans running around causing tr...
233K 4.4K 26
❝God this is so cliché, Barry I'm not a damsel in distress.❞ [the flash: season one] copyright 2016 |bloodthrills