My Nepenthe

By souji28

Nepenthe-- a fictional medicine for sorrow, pain. "Drug of forgetfulness" My take on the "inspiration" scene... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
New OS
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
New story
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69

Chapter 60

722 92 183
By souji28

"Your wife has taken a liking to her professor," the man said.

"I agree that it wasn't completely her fault but Arjun was only too eager to reciprocate her attraction. After all who wouldn't. Your wife is a beauty to die for."

"That is the most absurd and unbelievable explanation that I heard in many years," Omkara found his voice again.

"When you were out of town, Mrs. Oberoi rarely stayed at your home. She was with Arjun for two days alone in a hotel room."

"Shut the nonsense, I know my wife. She stayed with her friends."

"Come on Mr. Oberoi, didn't you notice her flinch when you touch? Why else would she do it unless she felt guilty to betray you."

Omkara widened his eyes in shock.

"How in the name of hell did you...." he growled but was soon cut off.

"Your wife talks to her friends Omkara. She feels sorry for her momentary lapse of control. Whatever happened between Mrs. Oberoi and Arjun Shastri was very recent. I hope you understand that her mistake was a onetime thing and punish that Arjun for seducing her into the act."

"Who are you and what do you get through this?"

"I am not your friend but I am the enemy of your enemy."

"Can we not talk in puzzles?"

"Arjun Shastri is a cunning and unfaithful dog," the voice screamed in anger and Omkara listened carefully. He decided to keep the other one talking.

"He betrayed me by sleeping with my girlfriend a few years ago. On the outside, he might look like a respectable gentleman but on the inside, he is just a deceitful pervert," said the man.

"Just because I don't have the money and allies, I will not let him go unpunished."

"Why should I believe you?" Omkara asked.

"You don't need to. If you do not help me, I have my own ways to take my revenge Mr. Oberoi. I just have a sympathetic heart for you because I was in your place some time back."

"How will you punish Arjun?"

"I also have a video with me which has the same content as the pictures I sent you. I can use them to expose..."

"Don't you dare to complete that statement," Omkara raged.

"I want that clip and all other evidence which you have with you," he asked.

"Oh, so you believe me," the voice goaded him.

Keeping his voice neutral, Omkara gave his answer, "I believe you."

"Actually, something tells me that you will know the pain of a jilted lover. You understand me, don't you Omkara?"

"I want the video of Gauri and Arjun the earliest possible. I will help you with punishing Arjun Shastri."

"I am sorry but I will have to keep the evidence with me until you punish your friend."

"But I need to have the video to..."

"You will want the visual for nothing but to protect your wife's respect."

"No, it is..."

"I am no fool Mr. Oberoi. Make me believe that you will punish your friend and you will get what you want. The faster you take the step, the better it will be for us. Your time starts now."

"Listen to me first. I have to..."

"Remember that I am watching you Mr. Oberoi. The video can be on social network if you stay silent," the voice warned before the line went dead.

"Hello... Hello..."

Omkara cursed out loud and raised his hand to throw his phone in anger but he knew the moment called for his patience. So, he put it aside and looked back at the pictures angrily thrown on the floor.

***********************************************************************

"Sahil, can you not call me to ask for that baagad billa?" Anika spoke into her cell phone.

"SSO is not answering my calls didi," her brother replied.

"As if he tells me where he goes," Anika continued to sulk.

Sahil sighed at his sister lack of patience.

True that he felt bad for his brother-in-law but also knew he cannot dare ask his sister to behave like a grown-up woman not complaining about her husband all the time.

Instead, he decided to be the mature one amongst them.

With a calm tone, he tried again.

"I am sorry to remind you about SSO didi," he cajoled.

"I just thought that you might know where he kept my quarterly marks report. I gave it to him so that he could sign and return it to me but due to a few unavoidable reasons, my teachers have asked me to submit it earlier than the mentioned date. This is urgent."

Anika understood her brother's emergency and cooled down.

"Okay, I will have to ask Khanna for the office keys. I will search in Shivaay's study and if I find something I will call you back Sahil," she told him and the former thanked heavens.

*************

"One simple task," Karan roared at his subordinate.

"I gave you one simple task of following his men and you couldn't do that."

"Karan, can you calm down please," Shivaay said gesturing the victim to leave.

"No, I will not Shivaay. It has been five days since I last saw my father," he banged on the table, shaking a few things off it.

Five days ago, Shivaay would have retorted or screamed back at the cop for unnecessarily losing his cool but their old comradery rebooted in these testing times and he understood Karan better.

Watching him work without rest to find clues and trace his father's whereabouts, Shivaay could understand how much the son loved his father. If he were in his place maybe he would have chosen his blood rather than a bond.

Becoming an accomplice in Sahil's kidnapping could have put Karan in good terms with Svetlana and he needn't have to quest for his only relative now. Yet, he chose to stick to good and helped them find Anika's brother.

Shivaay might never forget his wife's pain in the past but he was willing to forgive Karan for deceiving him because he was only fighting for his parent.

"Enough of this Karan, take the sleeping pills and rest for the night. You are not in a state to work," he spoke in a firm tone.

"I cannot. We must see if the tech guy can be of help. The phone number....."

"No Karan, you are over working yourself and by being impatient you will not help anybody. So please, do as I say."

His friend hesitated for a while.

Should he ask Shivaay to call his mother? Was Pinky Oberoi still in contact with that witch Svetlana?

No, he was sure Gauri wouldn't have revealed anything about Pinky's involvement with Sahil's kidnap. Despite what he did, the man had been doing nothing but helping him find his father. He cannot hurt him by divulging such disturbing information about his family.

But they are running out of time.

What if they hurt his father?

What if they are planning something to hurt Gauri who Shivaay told was Harshvardhan's daughter?

Tej Oberoi shouldn't be a culprit if his nephew was eager to know the truth behind the family tragedy. or maybe, Shivaay will stand with justice this one time.

"I asked only you to sleep. I will stay alert. I promise I will wake you up if the team finds something. Trust me," said Shivaay squeezing the former's shoulder in assurance.

Maybe, he needed some rest to make his mind start working. Maybe, they will find a clue tomorrow when he starts afresh.

"Thanks, Shivaay," replied Karan and with a grateful nod left the cabin to rest.

*******************************************

"Why did Shivaay give the keys to Rudra? You are supposed to take care of the security right?" Anika asked with a frown.

"Yes mam but sir specifically gave them to Rudra sir. He also asked me to double the security of the mansion," Khanna replied.

"Okay, Rudy should know something. I will ask him," said Anika and turned around when Khanna called her back.

"Rudra sir and Bhavya mam went to Bareilly yesterday. Only Jhanvi madam knows about it."

"For what purpose?"

"I have no idea madam. They will return by tomorrow morning. You can ask them for yourself," said the head of security and Anika nodded.

******************************************************

The next morning,

"Are you both not coming for the class?" Gauri asked her friends.

"No, we haven't completed yesterday's assignment," they both said in unison making her raise her eyebrow.

Himani glared at Mithila first before she turned to her other friend and gave her a cheeky smile.

"We know that you will not approve of it but Diya wanted a strawberry milk cake and Mithila had to bake. That took away her time for homework."

"Really, and what is your reason?"

"I was worried that I would fall sick with too much study," Himani said touching her forehead as if checking her temperature.

Gauri chuckled and playfully hit her friend making the other two sigh in relief.

"Well, I thought I will get some company. I slept alone yesterday," she said.

Himani and Mithila exchanged looks before they asked together.

"Did Omkara go out of town again?"

"I don't know. He did not come home last night and his phone is not reachable since morning."

"Oh, is he alright?"

"I was worried too but he pinged me a few minutes back that he was at the studio. He will meet me tonight."

"Cool, he must be working hard," said Himani.

"Hmm."

"Don't worry. We will join you for the next class," Mithila lied.

"Okay, see you soon," Gauri smiled at her friends before making an exit.

Himani stared at Mithila in silence.

"Please tell me that you are ready," she pleaded with her.

"I am Himu. Let us go," came the reply making Himani happy.

She rubbed her hands in glee, excited for the adventure.

************************

One hour later, in Himani's hostel room.

"Why isn't she awake yet?" a worried Mithila asked, looking at an unconscious Sonia tied to a wooden chair in the room.

"Don't fret. Look she is moving," Himani answered her friend.

With meticulous planning Himani managed to drug her target while Mithila served as a helpful ally. When Sonia fell unconscious in the canteen, both the friends staged a drama. People believed that Sonia was ill and her the girls were sweet to take care of her.

With help, they brought her to the college's hostel and patiently waited for her to wake up.

"You will not speak a word. Let me handle this snake my way," Himani whispered, gesturing her friend to take a seat in the far end of the room.

Mithila complied while the former took a chair herself and sat before her target.

Sonia squinted her eyes as she welcomed light.

Why did her body feel numb?

Her mind replayed the recent memory of her having a juice in the canteen that Mithila recommended and then feeling dizzy.

What did the woman feed her?

When her eyes opened, she gasped noting the smirking face of Himani seated before her with style.

"Look who is awake. Hello darling, how do you do," her enemy greeted with a voice which sounded unusually cold.

At that tone, the first emotion that welcomed Sonia was fear but she was not the one to accept defeat. She chose to show defiance instead.

"What the hell do you think you are doing?" she growled out.

Himani raised an eyebrow.

"Angry?"

Sonia stared at her.

"Start talking and you will be allowed to walk free."

"You are mad. The moment I walk out of here, you will be behind the bars. I will make sure of it."

"Tsk tsk," Himani clicked her tongue. "Wrong response," she said and before the words could register, she slapped her captive right across her face.

Mithila gasped from the other end of the room.

"How dare..."

Another slap resounded in the otherwise silent room.

This time Sonia succumbed to her fear and tears pooled in her eyes.

"Speak up. I don't like wasting time," Himani warned her loud and clear.

"What did I do to you," Sonia said as the tears seeped out of her eyes.

"Why did you stage Gauri's ambush? What was your motive and what did you get from it."

"I really don't know why you believe that I staged it. I have no hand in it."

"Sonia," Himani breathed out in patience.

"I drugged you," she told her with a pause.

"All the people present in the canteen, saw you falling on the ground unconscious."

Sonia knitted her eyebrows in confusion, not knowing why the girl was stating the obvious facts.

"I and Mithila told them that we will take you to a hospital. We can also make a new story stating that after all the medical tests, we got to know that you are a chronic drug addict and that is the reason why you had that episode."

Sonia widened her eyes.

"Think about it. My dad is rich and so is Mr. Agarwal. We can make things happen and get away while you get ousted out of the college with no degree in hand. Better, I will make sure that you will serve a good sentence in jail."

"Please,..."

"I do not want to hear anything other than the answers to the questions I asked you," Himani growled banging her fist at the wall behind Sonia.

The victim screamed out in fear while Mithila stood up and walked towards her friend. Pulling her back, she gestured her to stop her act.

Himani however refused to back down.

"Talk you...,"

"Shhhh, Himu calm down. She will talk," Mithila assured and Sonia looked at both.

"I will tell you everything. Please don't ruin my life," she pleaded as she sobbed hard.

***********************************************************

Gauri looked to her side and sighed. Her friends had promised to join her after the first class but none of them returned. She tried calling them but to no avail. It was the last class of the day and her professor did not turn up.

"Why is Arjun sir's class cancelled?" Gauri asked Kavya, one of her classmates.

Kavya raised her eyebrows in surprise.

"Seriously? How can you not know Gauri?"

"What does that mean?"

"Arjun was removed from his job. The administration took the decision and declined to talk to him further. No explanation whatsoever."

"What are you saying?" Gauri asked in shock.

"I am surprised that you don't know it yet. Rumours are that your husband was behind it."

If she was shocked before, she was terrified with the new information.

What is happening?

How can Omkara ji do something like that.

Did she hear right?

Gauri was about the question again just to confirm the news when she saw Himani and Mithila rush into the classroom calling her name.

*******************************

"I do not know what happened Mithila but Arjun was very upset. Omkara asked him to come to his new studio. He said he has something to talk to him," Mithila heard Arjun's wife on the phone.

"Is it true then? Omkara did this?"

"Seems to be."

Gauri worriedly looked at her friend who gestured her that the news was true. Himani squeezed her friend's shoulder when she noticed her turn pale.

"Arjun worked so hard to get to his position. His reputation means everything to him," Mrs. Shastri continued in an anguished voice.

"I understand."

"What happened today was so disrespectful to him. How can Omkara do this Mithila."

"Gauri ji, calm down. Is Arjun sir at home? We will come over."

"No, he went to meet Omkara sometime ago."

"Okay, please don't worry. Things will settle down. Sonia talked and we know the motive behind the attack on Gauri. They wanted photos of Gauri and Arjun sir together. Omkara's reaction must be something related to it."

"Photos? What kind of ones. Why?"

"I will explain it you later. For now, just keep cool. Sir needs you."

"Okay. What are you going to do now?"

"Tell Omkara the truth of course."

"I hope everything goes back to normal."

"Yeah. I will call you later," Mithila assured and ended the conversation.

Himani stared at Gauri who looked nothing less than a heartbroken lover.

"Gauri, let us go. We will.."

"No, I will go," she said as a tear dropped from her eye.

"But...."

"Please, let me deal with this," she said and without waiting for a reply walked away from them.

*****************************************

Arjun felt shocked when the administration informed him of his dismissal. In no time, the shock transformed into humiliation when he heard the casual mention of Omkara.

"Mr. Oberoi is one of our college trustees. The most influential of all Arjun. We had to listen to him. I am sorry," the principal spilt the news.

"Who Shivaay bhaiyya?"

"No, his brother. Mr. Omkara singh Oberoi," he heard the reply with a heavy heart.

Why would Om do this to him?

Did he not say that he forgave him?

Even if he did not, why seek for revenge now, that to for a petty issue?

As he drove to his friend's studio, he tried to think of explanations which would give his friend any motive to have done this insult to him.

He couldn't come up with anything.

In a good hour, he reached the place of meet. Parking his car in the lobby, he rushed up the stairs to talk to his friend.

Not bothering to knock, he pushed past the glass door which led him into the central hall decorated to perfection. In the next second, he stood transfixed in his place by the sheer grandeur of the space, temporarily forgetting the reason for his meet.

The chandeliers and the carpets were same as the day before. So were the curtains covering the walls but they no longer carried the romantic air.

As he looked around closely, he noted the half-adorned paintings and unfurnished corners with unlit candles.  Something of the place emitted melancholy unlike the romantic feel it was supposed to carry.

He walked further in and entered a sitting lounge where his friend was waiting for him.

Arjun's first response should have been to call Omkara's name but he didn't. It was as if he could feel the unpleasant sensation of an impending catastrophe.

His friend looked worn out as he plonked himself on a couch and stared at an envelope in his hands.

Walking silently, he neared him and he raised a hand to place it on the former's shoulder.

His friend looked up. It was then that he was greeted with a pair of fiery red eyes screaming murder.

"Om, what happened.." he couldn't finish his sentence when he was roughly pushed away.

He stumbled but avoided the fall.

"What happened Omkara?" he asked finding his voice this time.

The envelop which the former held in his hand was thrown at him and the pictures hit his face before they scattered on the floor.

He looked at them and gasped in horror.

They were photographs.

Pictures of him and Gauri on that unfortunate night. In some, they were hugging each other, in some he was kissing her forehead and in some others she was clinging onto him.

Arjun knew he was just assuring the poor girl but how in the name of hell was he supposed to explain it to his friend?

What was he supposed to talk when he failed to protect Gauri?

How is he to face him when he betrayed his friend's trust.

"Om."

"I trusted you with her," Omkara roared.

"These pictures... they are not true."

"Why was I not informed?" was the next question.

Arjun closed his eyes in guilt.

"Look at me," he heard him scream but he couldn't do it.

Omkara rushed to him and held his collar.

"I was a fool to think that I could trust you."

"Omkara ji," Gauri walked in on the scene making the two men turn to her.

"Leave him," she ordered.

Her husband glared at his friend before he shoved him away.

Gauri rushed towards her professor and steadied him.

"Sorry sir," she mumbled while the later shook his head in a no.

Her gaze shifted to the pictures on the floor and then to her angry husband.

She walked to him; her heart plummeted inside her chest as she covered the distance.

"Do you believe these?" she asked, her voice barely audible.

Gauri saw her husband uneasily shift in his place. He looked everywhere but at her.

A simple no would do good, her heart wanted her to scream out loud.

As the silence grew, she became impatient.

"I asked you something," she spoke, this time clearly angry.

"Do you believe these pictures," she asked again.

"Yes."

Her heart broke into a million pieces with his answer.

It wasn't anything new. He did it before but it never hurt her this way. Her ears rang with betrayal, her eyes were clouded with moisture and she found it difficult to beath.

Did she love this person?...yes.

Did she trust him to trust her?... yes.

She came there to hear from him that he believed her. That he trusted her more than a set of photographs from a nobody.

The denial was replaced with pain. In the next few seconds, it was overcome with anger.

Raising her hand, she slapped her husband hard across his face for the first time in her life.

**************************************************************

Long update and end of suspense.😉

I have been envisioning this scene since many days.🙅‍♀️

You can curse me all you want but I wanted to write it.🤷‍♀️

Let us meet in the next update.

Silent readers, please vote and comment.❤❤

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

643 36 18
NEPENTHE - a person, place or thing. Which can aid in forgetting your pain and suffering. - Minho x OC - The maze runner trilogy
1.7K 163 17
nepenthe (n.) - an ancient Greek word, defined as a medicine for sorrow. it is a place, a person or thing, which can aid in forgetting your pain and...
93.7K 5.3K 28
starting from when gauri disguise herself as chulbul and was living with omkara.... read to know more.... . This story carries adventure, secrets, do...
3.2K 435 18
π”ͺπ”¦π”·π”­π”žπ”₯ 𝘯𝘰𝘢𝘯 πšπš‘πšŽ πšπšŽπšŽπš™ πšŽπš–πš˜πšπš’πš˜πš—πšŠπš• πš‹πš˜πš—πš πš‹πšŽπšπš πšŽπšŽπš— πš™πšŽπš˜πš™πš•πšŽ, πšŽπšœπš™πšŽπšŒπš’πšŠπš•πš•πš’ πšπš‘πš˜πšœπšŽ πšœπšŽπš™πšŠπš›πšŠπšπšŽπš πš‹...