Red Dead Redemption 2 (Arthur...

By LayceJ25

After a robbery goes badly wrong in the western town of Blackwater, Arthur Morgan and the Van der Linde gang... More

Colter
The Aftermath of Genesis
Eastward Bound
Horseshoe Overlook
Polite Society, Valentine Style
A Quiet Time
The Spines of America
Pouring Forth Oil
A Fisher of Men
A Strange Kindness
Clemens Point
The Course of True Love
An Honest Mistake
Magicians for Sport
Blessed Are The Peacemakers
Blood Feuds, Ancient and Modern
Angelo Bronte, A Man Of Honor
The Gilded Cage
Horsemen, Apocalypses
Revenge Is A Dish Best Eaten
Banking, the Old American Art
Guarma
Fatherhood And Other Dreams
Paradise Mercifully Departed
Fleeting Joy
That's Murfee Country
Visiting Hours
Goodbye, Dear Friend
Archeology For Beginners
The Bridge To Nowhere
My Last Boy
Red Dead Redemption
A New Life
A Tempting Offer
Skinner Brothers
Reunion
American Venom

Saint Denis

1.6K 39 18
By LayceJ25

​​The next morning, Dutch, Hosea, John, Arthur and (y/n) were sitting at the table, deciding what their next move was. "It’s gonna work out, you two…it’s gonna work out." Hosea said as he pats (y/n)'s hand and gives a sympathetic look towards John. "I don’t expect you two to understand this… but I have never been more proud of both of you…than I am right now. Both of you are doing the right thing." Dutch said while (y/n) looks down.

Arthur places a hand on her shoulder as John speaks up. "If I don’t get the boy back safe…I’m…She…She’ll kill us all." John said, referring to Abigail. "And I need...I can't lose Annebeth...." (y/n) said and Dutch looks between them. "I know, but…looking at this logically, those kids are fine. They took them to scare us. Nobody takes two kids to harm them." Dutch assures them and John and (y/n) stare at him then look over at Hosea. "He’s right." Hosea said then Dutch looks up at Arthur.

"What do you think, Arthur?" He asked him and Arthur looks down at (y/n) before he lets out a sigh through his nose. "The kids will be fine, but…of course Marston and (y/n) are scared rotten. Hell, I'm alittle worried myself. We killed all those people…we stirred up all that trouble…for nothing." Arthur said and (y/n) turns her head up to him then places her right hand over his hand that was on her left shoulder. "No, no, not for nothing. For living. Now we get those kids back…and we go. Trust me." Dutch said just as John and (y/n) share a look.

"Hey, Dutch. We got a problem." Lenny calls out and everyone turns and see Milton and Ross walking up, Lenny behind them. "Not a problem…visitors…a solution. Good day fine people." Milton said as everyone starts to gather around. John and Hose stand up from their chairs and (y/n) looks over at the new visitors with fear and worry.

"Mr. Van der Linde. Mr. Mathews, I presume. And…" Milton said to Dutch and Hosea then he looks over at John. "...who are you?" He asked. "Rip Van Winkle." John replied with a bit of sarcas. "Huh…good day, sir. Agent Milton, Pinkerton…Detective Agency. Agent Ross." Milton introduced then he looks over at Arthur and (y/n).

"Ah, Mr. Morgan…nice to see you and this lady again." Milton said. "And to what do we owe the pleasure…Agent Moron?" Dutch asked Milton, a bit of annoyance in his voice. "I don’t know if you’re aware but this…this is a civilized land now. We didn’t kill all them savages…only to allow the likes of you…to act like human dignity…and basic decency was outmoded or not yet invented. This thing…it’s done." Milton said and Dutch stands up and faces Milton.

"This place…ain’t no such thing as civilized. It’s man so in love with greed…He has forgotten himself and found only appetites." Dutch said with a bit of a snarl. "And as a consequence that lets you take what you please…kill whom you…please and hang the rest of us? Who made you the messiah…to these lost souls you’ve led so horribly astray?" Milton asked Dutch as he gestures to the gang.

"I’m nothing but a seeker, Mr. Milton." Dutch explained. "You ain’t much of anything more than a killer, Mr. Van der Linde. But I came to make a deal. It’s time. You come with me…and I give the rest of ya three days to run off…disappear and go and live like human beings….someplace else." Milton said and (y/n)'s eyes widen at this then gives a worried look towards Arthur, who turned his head to the right to look at her.

"You came for me? Risked life and limb in this den of lowlifes and murderers…so that they might live and love?" Dutch asked then he begins to chuckle. "Ain’t that fine." He said and everyone laughs. "I don’t wanna kill all these folk, Dutch…just you." Milton said then Dutch raises his hands in the air, almost like in surrender.

"In that case…it’d be my honor…to join you." Dutch said to Milton then he turns to the gang. "Excuse me, friends…I have an appointment to keep with…" Dutch started to say but then everyone starts to load their weapons, even (y/n) who stood up and reaches for her revolver in her holster.

Milton looks around and (y/n) noticed he looked both worried and annoyed at this. "I think your new friend should leave now, Dutch." Grimshaw said as she aims her shotgun at Milton. "You’re making a big mistake…all of you." Milton warns the gang and Dutch laughs.

"Yeah…dreadful. We have got something…something to live and die for. How awful for us, Mr. Milton. Stop following us…we’ll be gone soon." Dutch informs him. "I’m afraid I can’t…and when I return I’ll be with fifty men." Milton threatens then he turns to the gang. "All of you will die. Run away from this place, you fools. Run!" He yells, dramatically. "Come on." Lenny said as he reaches out to Milton but Milton pulls his arms away from him. "Get your damn hands off of me, boy." he growls and he and Ross leave.

"What now?" Arthur asked Dutch. "We get outta here…and quick. Any ideas?" Dutch asked and Arthur thinks for a moment then nods. "I know a big old house…hidden in the swamps outside Saint Denis. I’m sure they’ll find us eventually…but it should buy us a few days." Arthur explains. "A few days is all we need." Dutch said.

"It’s a spot out by Shady Belle. Lenny and I got into that dispute with the previous occupiers. Place is well hidden." Arthur explains and Dutch nods. "You, John and (y/n) ride out…and make sure no one else has moved in." Dutch said then he turns to Lenny. "Lenny…you go follow those fools outta here…make sure that they leave." he instructs and Lenny nods and walks away then he turns to John and (y/n).

"And, John…(y/n)...we’ll get Jack and Annebeth back and we’ll get gone. Rest of you get packing!" Dutch said and Arthur turns to the two. "Come on, you two." Arthur said and they follow him as they head to the horses.

"This is crazy." John mutters.

"Agreed." (Y/n) said to him as they get up on their horses. "Follow me, I know the way." Arthur said and they take off. Once they were some feet away from the camp, Arthur looks over his shoulder at John and (y/n). 

"It’s gonna be alright, you two." Arthur said, trying to assure them. "We should be going for kids." (Y/n) grumbles. "We will, but we have to move everyone first…before that bastard Milton comes back with an army. We ain’t no use to Jack and Annebeth in jail, or at the end of a rope." said Arthur and (y/n) sighs.

"I don’t even know what to think no more." John said. "Just gotta keep our cool, be smart about this." Arthur said and John looks over at him. "Smart? Are you joking? We made too much noise once again. We drew’em right to us. I mean, how many people we killed the past few weeks?" John asked him. "Far too many." Arthur said as they make a turn on the road.

"It’s Dutch playing his games. Hosea too. Getting involved with those two families. The master con men working their magic…" John said. "They thought there was a lot of gold…" Arthur defends. "Yeah, they thought there was money. Ain’t there always?" (y/n) asked, annoyed. "Look, I don’t know what to tell you two. Things don’t always work out, that ain’t nothing new." Arthur said.

"Jack and Annebeth are gone, we lost Sean, Mac, Davey, Jenny…and for what?" John asked, angrily. "We can’t change what’s done, we can only move on." said Arthur. "But one day we need to start learning from our mistakes." John said. "Come on, it ain’t all bad. We’ve had a rocky run, but we’ll be okay. We’ll get through it." Arthur said, trying to cheer the two up and John scoffs.

"Dutch’ll fix it. Dutch’ll come up with a big plan. Right now, every plan gets us into worse trouble." John said and (y/n) sighs a bit. "I hate to say it but he's right, Arthur. We’re getting further from where we're meant to be going." She said. "Now you can’t put all this on Dutch. Both of you are worked up and rightly so. Just don’t get too far into your head with all this, or you’ll never get out." Arthur said as he leads them to the left.

"It’s a damn mess. Those poor kids." John mutters as they come up to a large gate. "That’s it up ahead." Arthur said as he points towards a large plantation house. "Four walls and a roof we’re moving up in the world." John said, sarcastically. "You ain’t seen inside it yet." said Arthur. "Come on, boys…sooner we get this done, the better." (Y/n) said and they stop their horses and dismount then start to descend upon the house.

"You sure this place is empty?" John asked Arthur. "I ain’t sure of nothing." Arthur replied and they come up on the house when they hear noises from the house. "Aw, shit! It’s them again! Boys, get ready!" A raider shouts and they began to open fire.

"Damn it, still some here." Arthur yelled as he, John and (y/n) take cover. "I can see that!" John said and they began firing back at the raiders. "Get out of here. Now! Go!" Arthur yelled and they make their way inside the building and shot a few more raiders.

"Any more of you upstairs, I’m coming for you! You hear me?" Arthur threatens as he makes his way upstairs. "Where you creeps hiding? Come out where I can shoot you." A raider shouts from upstairs. "Come and fight me then." Arthur challenged and he shoots the raider and heads into another room and sees an old man in bed.

"I knew you’d come soon enough. You, or some other coward like you." The old man growls and Arthur shoots him in the head without a word and explores the mansion while John and (y/n) looks around the lower level of the manor.

(Y/n) walks into a room and heard movement and she leans against the wall near the doorway. "You think you’re tough, Yankee? Come in here and fight me like a man." A male voice yelled and (y/n) slowly lets out a breath then pops out of her hiding spot and shoots the raider in the head.

"How’s it looking up there?" John calls out as (y/n) comes up to meet him. "I think we’re clear." Arthur informs and John and (y/n) look around at the dead bodies. "Good. Come help us with this, will you?" John asked and he starts to pick a body up. (Y/n) started to pick one up as Arthur comes down.

"Here, give us a hand moving these bodies. Don’t want the others walking into this." John said and Arthur picks up a body. "Follow me." John said and the three of them head outside. "Alright, this way. We’ll dump the bodies in the swamp over there." John said as they walk up to the deck in the swamp and they dump the body in the swamp.

"Okay, (y/n) and I can deal with the rest of the bodies. You go meet up with the caravan and guide them in." Arthur tells John and he nods. "Alright, see you soon…I hope." John said and he heads over to his horse, mounts it and takes off while Arthur and (y/n) start to head back towards the manor.

Arthur looks over at (y/n) and noticed that she was looking down at the ground. "You...you doing alright?" He asked her, cautiously, and she scoffs slightly at this. "As best as I can be." She said and Arthur nods then thinks for a moment before bring up what was on his mind. "I-I have to ask...back there, when we got back from the Braithwaites...you called Annebeth our baby..." he said and she whips her head up at this, the look of fear flashed in her eyes.

"A-Arthur, it was just a slip of the tongue..I-I didn't mean..." she stammers, quickly, as they stop and Arthur chuckles a bit. "It’s fine." Arthur said and (y/n) sighs with relief at this. "Look, (y/n), I've been thinking...I think...I want to...I don't know..." Arthur grumbles then he sighs as she raises an eyebrow at this. He looks at her then said. "I think you, me and Annebeth, when we get her back, should live together. Like a proper family."

(Y/n) seemed taken aback by this. "A-A-Arthur..I..I don't know what to say...y-you sure about this?" She asked him. He nods and says. "I'm sure." (Y/n) stares, blankly, at him then her eyes shift towards the ground, as if she's processing what she just heard, before she places a hand over her mouth.

"Look, you're upset and...I don't know when or how we're gonna get the kids back but...I know you don't need to be alone. And when we get her back, then you can decide whether you and I share a tent or go back to your own. Either way, I understand." Arthur said and she lowers her hand and looks back at him.

"Thank you." She whispers and he takes her hands in his before leaning down and kisses her forehead. He leans his head against hers and they stay in this position for a while before (y/n) speaks up. "We...we better get to work." She said. Arthur agrees and they start on cleaning the rest of the dead bodies up.

After getting all the bodies thrown out, the gang start to arrive and Arthur and (y/n) walk out on the front porch of the manor. "Welcome home…all of ya…to my humble abode. We got fine living. Ignore the corpses and the alligators…it’s paradise…" Arthur said and Dutch smiles. "I love it! Miss Grimshaw, Mr. Pearson…would you two kindly…work your magic?" Dutch asked them and they nod as they start to get started. 

Dutch gets off the wagon then turns to Arthur. "Arthur…take a ride with me. Come on…" he said and he and Arthur head towards the horses when Molly comes running up. "Dutch?" she calls out. "Yes?" Dutch said, although his tone of voice was of disinterest.

"Could I have a word with ya?" She asked. "Not now." Dutch said as he and Arthur mounts their horses. "Come on, Arthur." he said and they leave the manor. "Can you believe that girl? All I’ve got going on and she wants to talk." Dutch said to Arthur, annoyed. "Everything okay with you two?" asked Arthur. "I got far more important things to worry about right now than Molly O’Shea." Dutch grumbles.

"So, where are we going?" Arthur asked. "To take a look at this Eighth Wonder of the Civilized World Saint Denis, I keep hearing about. According to the map, the road up this way should lead us right in there." Dutch replied. "Alright, I guess this day ain’t over yet." said Arthur. "Not quite…good work back there, Arthur. Everything went okay?" Dutch asked. "Few loose ends, nothing major." Arthur said.

"And John and (y/n)?" Dutch asked, concerned. "About what you’d expect. They're taken it hard." replied Arthur. "We’re going to get those kids back, whatever it takes. I need you to start asking around in the city for Bronte, subtly of course…public places, maybe start with the saloon. Anyone who can put us in contact with him." Dutch said.

"Of course. And what about the Pinkertons?" Arthur asked. "I’m fairly sure nobody followed us. We moved out fast. We should be safe for a few days here." Dutch assured. "And then?" asked Arthur. "I think we need to move a little further. Put some ocean between us and all of this. The mess with those two families…losing Sean…I see things differently now. For a long time, I truly believed a paradise lay somewhere in the west for us…but I just…don’t know any more." Dutch said with a tone of disappointment.

"So, we’re leaving the country now?" Arthur asked, confused. "Maybe. I’m still thinking about it. Whatever we do, we’ll need more money." Dutch said as they make it over a bridge.  "Okay, there she is…a real city…the future." Dutch said, with disdain and disgust, once they stopped and looked out at the city.

Before their eyes it was a view of a dozen smoky chimneys and a smog-black sky. "Big cities…they’re…" Arthur said as he shakes his head. "Always repellent?" Dutch suggests. "Exactly." said Arthur, nodding. "I’ll find you in there…go see what you can figure out." Dutch said as he starts to head into the city. "Yes." Arthur mutters as he heads a different direction.

Arthur walks around town, trying to find out something about Angelo Bronte, as he kept telling himself that Annebeth was alright and that she is safe. Though, deep down he’s holding back mixed emotions.

Worry. Fear. Anger. Fury.

All those he kept back for (y/n)’s sake, as well as the children he vowed to take back home to their mothers. He knows now that there’s no time to waste and with their safeties at stake, especially Annabeth who he loves dearly as his own child, there’s no telling what could happen if it was too late to save them.

They say that children are the light that keep your humanity from being consumed by darkness. Children bring a sense of meaning into people's lives. Their innocence is what gives them hope and life into the future.

Annabeth is what kept (Y/n) at bay. The only piece of humanity she has left after the loss of her family. Without her…without that light…there’s darkness waiting to come out. And he’s scared to death of that thought coming to life.

Eventually, he goes up to a saloon and washboard to enter when he heard a gun cocked. "Stick ’em up, cowboy." a voice said and he raised his hands until he heard a chuckle. He turns around and saw that it was Dutch. "Yeah, real funny, Dutch." Arthur said as he lowers his hands and Dutch laugh. "I thought so." Dutch laughed then he holsters his gun and turns to look out onto the streets of Saint Denis.

"So, here we are in a strange land of Papists and rapists….America’s very own Gomorrah." He said as people walk the streets and horse drawn carriages trot by. "Yeah, cities all look the same to me." Arthur grumbles then he turns to Dutch.

"So, how you get on?" He asked. "I’ve been asking around about Mr. Bronte…and from what I’ve heard this establishment is our best lead…but I haven’t had any joy in there so far." Dutch replied.

"So, I should just give it a shot?" Arthur asked. "I think so…just keep it cool." Dutch said. "You know me." said Arthur and Dutch smiles before he pats Arthur’s shoulder. "I’ll meet you back here, anon." he said and he walks away as Arthur enters the saloon.

Once he enters, the music from the piano stops and all the patrons turn and look at him. All of them have the same perplexed and shock look on their faces for a moment before they go back to what they were doing. Arthur shrugs a bit then heads to the bar.

"Funny you should say that." One man said to the bartender. "Well, you know how it is. I told him, I said." the bartender said as Arthur comes up and waves down the bartender. "Hey, can I get a drink here?" he calls but the bartender kept talking to the man. "That’s the state of Lemoyne for you. America’s dirty little French secret." He said and the man laughs.

"That’s why we love it." The man said as Arthur waves the bartender down. "Over here." He calls. "Born and raised." the bartender said then he looks over at Arthur then back to the man he was talking to. "I-I’m sorry, please excuse me. I, I-I seem to have some very impatient customers." The bartender said and he goes over to Arthur.

"Now, how can I help? You look like a whiskey man." the bartender said and Arthur nods. "Sure." He said. "Dollar, please." The bartender said and Arthur looks over at him, shocked. "For a whiskey?" he said in disbelief. "Sure. That’s the real stuff, from Scotland." the bartender said and Arthur pulls out a couple bills. "Okay…here, have one for yourself." he said as he tosses the two bills down.

"Why thank you." The bartender said and he goes and hands Arthur a bottle of whiskey as he takes the money. Arthur takes a few sips of the liquor before he musters up the courage to speak.

"So, mister…can I ask you a question? You ever hear of a feller by the name of Bronte?" Arthur asked and the Bartender eyes him, suspiciously. "Who’s asking?" he asked. "I’m asking." Arthur said. "No, leave it, friend." The Bartender said.

"What you mean, leave it?" Arthur asked, confused. "Look, I don’t know what business you in…but leave it, friend…you and your pal that was in here before." the bartender said and Arthur lets out a huff before he finishes his whiskey.

He turns and starts to head out when a drunk man approaches him. "Angelo Bronte? Mister Big? Mister Italian-spaghetti-eating-long-streak-of-piss-big? He makes my skin crawl…some swarthy cocksucker…You know what I mean, friend?" the drunk said. "Where can I find him?" Arthur asked. 'Oh, I-I reckon you can talk to them kids in the alley…they’ll know how to get…" the drunk started to explain but Arthur started to walk out, like a man on a mission.

"Oh and, friend…" the drunk called out and Arthur stops then looks over his shoulder at him. "Y-you be careful now. Immigrants…they’re not to be trusted." the drunk said and Arthur nods before he walks out of the saloon.

He turns to his right and heads for the alley and sees a couple of kids just standing there, talking amongst each other. "Hey, you got a cigarette, mister? Huh?" one of the boys asked as Arthur walks by them. "Maybe…I’m looking for a feller named Angelo Bronte? Italian…" Arthur said just as a few more kids come out and surround him.

"I know him. Everyone knows him." The second kid said. "Where is he?" Arthur asked. "We’ll take you to him…take you to him…but it’ll cost." the kid said. "I reckon I can pay." Arthur said and the kids smile. "Five dollars." the first kid said, smugly.

"Where’s he live? New York?" Arthur asked, sarcastically. "I’m an entrepreneur. You don’t wanna pay…then I don’t wanna walk." the kid said and Arthur sighs at this then digs into his satchel. "Oh man…hustled by a brat…" he grumbles as he pulls out five dollars and hands it to the kid. "...here…come on." Arthur said and the kids take the money, count it out then smile amongst each other.

"This way, let’s go, mister…You coming, Cleet?" The first kid said sad the tall kid, Cleet, comes up to them. "Stay close, easy to get lost around here. Come on then." The kid said as he leads Arthur out of the alley.

"You new to the city, mister?" the kid asked him. "Pretty much." Arthur replied. "Don’t worry, no one knows it good as me and Cleet." the kid said. "Is that right?" Arthur asked and the kid nods as they walk out on the street and the kid points to the building in front of them. "Hope you won’t need his services but you got the doctor on the corner there, nice enough feller." the kid said then he points to his right.

"That’s Barrett and Schreiber on the right there. Famous book store, not that I’m much of a reader myself." The kid said as they walk straight and towards the church.  Now, over here’s a real piece of art. That’s the Church of the Holy Blessed Virgin, mister. Modelled on a famous church in Toulouse, which is in France. You been to Toulouse, mister?" The kid asked. "No…" Arthur replied. "We’re Catholics here, mister, ain’t Baptists or nothing." the kid said. "My momma said they used to burn Protestants and all, but uh…" Cleet started to say but the kid talks over him.

"Bet they don’t have nothing so fine where you come from, mister. Look at them fine steeples…" the kid said as Arthur looks up at them. At that moment, Cleet cuts off Arthur’s bag and they began to run off. "Hey, hey! You little pair of shits!" Arthur yells and he runs after Cleet. "Let’s go! That feller looks angry!" Cleet said to his friend and they jump on the back of a wagon.

The wagon begins to take off as Arthur kept running. "You give that back!" Arthur demanded as Cleet jumps off of the wagon once it stops then gets in a streetcar. "Bye mister!" Cleet calls out while Arthur jumps on a horse and chases after it.

"I’m being chased by the village idiot." Cleet yells to some people as the streetcar rolls by while Arthur chases him. "Stop, you little shit!" Arthur shouts and Cleet jumps off of the streetcar and runs down towards the alley. "Little bastard got off." Arthur grumbles as Cleet shoves a man to the side.

"Damn street trash!" the man shouts and Arthur dismounts the horse and the man turns to him. "You after that kid? That little shit went that way!" The man tells Arthur. "Thanks for the help, friend." Arthur said, appreciatively, then runs down the alleyway.

"Bye, mister! You alright back there, old man?"Cleet shouts after him. "You better stop right now!" Arthur threatens. "Just give it up, farmboy!" Cleet yells at him as he keeps running. "Just give it up, kid! I’ll kill you, you thieving bastard!" Arthur said and comes up, grabs Cleet and tackles him down.

"You little bastard." Arthur growls as he gets him down and raised his fist up, getting ready to beat the kid. "I was just playing." Cleet said, defensively. "Give me my things back." Arthur demanded. "Get off me, mister. I’m a good boy, I wash." Cleet said as he struggles in Arthur’s grip but he holds him steady.

"Give me my things." Arthur demanded again and Cleet hands him his satchel. "Here." he said and Arthur takes the satchel back.

"Bronte?" Arthur asked.

"At home…" Cleet replied.

"Where?" Arthur asked.

"Big house on Flavian Street…opposite the park." Cleet replied and Arthur nods. "Okay." he said and he lets the kid go and starts to turn away. "Welcome to Saint Denis, mister. It’s quite a town." Cleet said as he gets up on his feet. "Get lost." Arthur growls and Cleet runs off. Arthur grumbles under his breath and starts to walk away. 

At least now he's one step closer to getting the kids back home.

"Where you been?" Dutch asked as Arthur approached him. "Getting robbed." Arthur replied, annoyed. "Who by?" asked Dutch. "Bunch of children…" Arthur grumbles and Dutch chuckles a bit. "I won’t inquire anymore." he said.

"But I found Mr. Bronte…Seems to be some Italian mister big in town…everybody knows him but nobody wants to talk about him. Apparently, he lives in a big house on Flavian Street…opposite the park." Arthur informs him and Dutch nods. "Huh…good work." he said.

"So what now?" asked Arthur. "We go pay him a visit. I’ll get John and (y/n), you meet us there. Whatever it takes, we need to get those kids back." Dutch said and Arthur nods as Dutch begins to leave.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

176K 4K 30
The year is 1899. The era of the old west. The United States government has been developing laws that a lot of people don't seem to like. This create...
3.6K 33 14
โ€ขThis is a more serious and realistic short story addition in Arthur's point of view to the game Red Dead Redemption 2 leading up to the Blackwater I...
9.2K 208 21
A lone outlaw (reader) stumbles across the Van-Der-Linde gang when she robs the same train as them. Soon she becomes familiar with the way they wor...
34.9K 763 21
you have been with the O,driscolls for 4 months, the worst 4 months of your life. they picked you up when you were on the run from your past. you had...