Luna Queen's Fury

By Siberiantiggy

"How well can you know an abomination in sheep's clothing?" A chilling confession from a long-time hidden ene... More

Preface
1 Too Late...
2 Uncharted Territory
3 Dreams that Never Were
4 Stubborn
5 Lalune Vitalis
6 Formidable
7 Inbetween
8 Idiot
9 It's Time
10 What Am I to You?
11 Oranges
12 Sugar
13 Rotten
14 Pieces
15 Rusty
17 Gremlins
18 Ripple
19 Sage
20 Broken Barriers
21 Change Is In The Air...
22 Sick
23 Lurking
24 Nice Try
25 Preparation
26 The Little Things...
27 Little Fires
28 Never Too Busy For You
29 They're Coming
30 Imposters
31 Lies
32 Burn It Down
33 Play Nice...
34 House of Cards
35 What Could Go Wrong?
36 It's Time!
37 Breathe
38 At Last
39 Fairytale
40 Mommy!!!
Forgotten Christmas Bonus!

16 Roots

10.4K 655 345
By Siberiantiggy

Chris leads us straight to the private dining room, opening the doors and gesturing us in. Our group has split in half, leaving Kane and Willow with us as well as Hale, Benjamin, and Connor.

The rich aroma hits me before I see its source but two of the Omegas are finishing setting out two big pots of soup with fresh loaves of rustic-looking bread. Chris waits for no one and guides me to my seat, tucking me in before dishing up a steaming bowl of beef barley soup.

"Eat while we talk," he orders, taking the freshly sliced bread and offering me a slice.

I struggle to suppress a laugh, seeing Kane equally attentive. When we first met, he seemed hopeless, not having the first clue how to connect with Willow but they've both grown so much and are perfect together now.

"Sit, grab some food," Chris says, beckoning the men in. "Lena is a fantastic chef."

"Smells like it," Hale agrees, digging in.

"Soooo," I prompt, taking a bite of the warm bread.

"Willow, did your mom ever speak about where she came from?" Chris asks, keeping his voice neutral.

"My mom?" she asks, setting down her spoon. "Why are you asking about my mom?" Her voice is small and defensive, bordering on afraid and triggering her mate.

Kane slides his chair over close and takes her hands in his. "There's nothing to be afraid of babygirl," he coos. "It's important though."

They share a silent moment before she nods and takes a deep breath. "She didn't name the pack, but talked a bit about growing up there and how she wished I could see it..."

"Did she say why she left?" Connor asks, leaning in. The downright desperation radiating off of him is enough to make my gut twist painfully.

Willow shakes her head. "She never gave me the details, but said a bad man would hurt her family if she didn't leave."

"That fucker," Connor hisses, abruptly standing and pacing away from the table.

Hale immediately gets up and goes to his brother, laying a hand on his shoulder and whispering to him. Connor practically trembles in anger as he shakes his head.

"No!" he snaps at Hale. "I knew he did something! I should have done something, anything but let her go!"

Her eyes go wide as the pieces fall into place. "Y-you knew my mother?" she whispers, lifting her trembling fingers to her mouth.

Connor takes a deep breath, pushing his anger away and shifts his attention from his brother back to the fragile woman in front of him. Eyes locked, he nods, heartbreak replacing his temper.

"I did, long ago," he replies, pain lacing his words.

"But how?" she asks. Kane wraps his arms around her waist and pulls her onto his lap.

"Why don't we start from the beginning, hmm?" Kane murmurs.

Hale claps his brother's shoulder and motions for him to take a seat. Reluctantly, the man moves and takes his seat, but his gaze never leaves Willow.

"I suppose the story starts a long time ago. We were just kids back then but as tight as any. Me, Connor, Ben, Lyana, and Ivy," Hale starts as his eyes take on the mist of happy memories.

"We were inseparable," Ben adds with a smile. "These two were always up for adventure and trouble and the girls talking us out of the stupidest ideas..."

"When we came of age, Lyana and Ben turned out to be mates and shortly after, Connor and Ivy, leaving me the odd man out." Hale chuckles.

"You already know the struggles me and Lyana had," Ben adds, coughing at the end as memories choke him up. "Ivy ran into some trouble but hid it from us. One day she was just gone."

"Gone?" Willow parrots back, her face scrunched in disbelief. "What do you mean gone?!"

"There was a disturbance at the northern border, it took all of our warriors to drive them off, but when I got back her stuff was gone," Connor bites out bitterly. "She left. There was security footage showing her leaving with her bags but she was alone."

"But why?" Willow whispers.

"I've asked myself that every day since she left." Connor ticks his jaw, clearly still hurt. "It didn't make sense, I thought she loved me... She was my whole world."

"Excuse me," Willow blurts out and gets up abruptly, beelining for the door.

"I'll talk to her," Kane replies apologetically to the men as they sit frozen, watching her run off.

"She'll come around," Hale says, trying to comfort his brother.

A heavy silence falls over the table once more, the only sounds are from bowls and spoons as people push their lunches around. The way that the three men pass casual side glances at each other makes me think they're linking.

"So," I breathe out, breaking the silence. "Willow's mom is from your pack too?"

Hale nods, regret written across his face.

"Her and Lyana were sisters... weren't they?" I whisper, already knowing the answer.

"They were," Ben confirms.

"So she's my cousin." My statement is more for myself than anything.

From the beginning, there has always been something about Willow that drew me to her. I wasn't sure if it was her innocence, her energy or what, but she was like a beacon to me.

There's an inner strength that people don't give her credit for and yet all I want to do is protect her too.

"It really does explain some things," Chris muses. "You two are so different yet two peas in a pod."

I smile to myself and nod, appreciating how perceptive Chris is. "And you're her father." My statement raises more than a few brows.

"We don't know for sure," Hale starts, patting his brother's arm. "Doc offered to do blood work-"

"By all means," I say with a shrug. "But I can feel it to be true."

A profound sadness takes over at the end of the table, leaving me shocked and confused.

"You don't want to be?!" I gasp, feeling my temper flare.

"Goddess above yes!" Connor clarifies, shocked at my outburst. "I mean I'm a shit father for not knowing all these years but I'd give anything for a chance to get to know her."

I tilt my head, watching the group and trying to make sense of what I'm feeling. His words ring true, he's desperate to get to know his long-lost daughter but still, there's so much sadness.

"He's thinking about Lya," Ben offers, a troubled look in his eyes. "How she struggled with emotions. The moment you said feel..."

"Oh," I mumble as I understand.

"Jess isn't going anywhere," Chris grumbles, hooking his arm around my waist. "She's strong, and has a lot of people around her helping."

I lay my head on his shoulder, trying to reassure him.

'Relax love, I'm right here,' I link, feeling him instantly soften.

'Sorry baby, I can't help but get worked up... There's been too many close calls already.' The rawness in his admission tugs at my heart.

'I know.'

The doors creak open and Kane pops his head in before moving to usher Willow in. She clutches an old beat-up, leather-bound book to her chest and takes baby steps towards us.

'You can take all the time you need,' I assure her, drawing her gaze to me.

She closes the gap, throws her arms around my neck, and buries her face in the junction with my shoulder. 'Thanks Jess.'

'For what it's worth, they feel like good people, they cared a lot about your mother,' I offer.

"I know," she says out loud, pulling back from her hug. "It's just a lot... and I've been carrying this around with me, but I think it belongs to you." Willow sets the book down in front of Connor and steps back.

Kane wraps his arms protectively around his mate, giving her his strength. With a tender kiss to the top of her head, he leads her to his seat and tucks her onto his lap.

Connor trails his fingertips across the battered cover, transfixed. "She kept it... all these years," he whispers to himself.

"It was her most prized possession," Willow admits.

He carefully opens it, revealing a tattered letter, stained and worn from age. 'Bear' is scrolled elegantly across the front, drawing his attention instantly as he picks it up like it's made of glass.

"You kept this all these years?" he whispers, transfixed by the paper in his hands.

Willow nods. "I didn't look either, it wasn't mine... She tried to mail it a couple of times, but always came home with it, upset."

The table sits silently watching as Connor flips it over and carefully opens the sealed envelope and pulls out another envelope and a letter. My chest tightens under the sheer weight of his grief as he reads the letter line by line before rereading it. His crystal blue eyes fill with unshed tears before he sets it down and passes the second envelope to Ben.

Ben furrows his brows but takes it from him, opening it to find another letter and a picture. A strangled gasp slips past his lips before he claps his hand over his mouth. By the time he finishes reading the letter, twice, he shifts his attention to the picture. Silent tears streak the veteran's cheeks as he stares at the photograph.

Hale lays a hand on his friend's arm, drawing the man's gaze up. "She was coming home," he whispers, his voice heavy with emotion as he turns his attention to me. "She was bringing you home..."

My chest tightens, not only from the overwhelming emotions washing over me but from the crushing weight of 'what if's' that flood through my mind.

What if we made it and I grew up in my pack, surrounded by my family?

What if I had Ember from day one?

What if I never met Matt?

Would I have still met Chris? Would we have been a classic mates story of love at first sight?

Benjamin scans the letter once more before passing it to me and focusing once more on the photo. He studies it with such intensity, like he's trying to commit every detail to memory.

My hands tremble slightly as I take the aged letter from him. The steady thumping of my pulse in my ears drowns out everything else as I focus on the faded words scrawled across the paper.

Ben,

I don't even know where to start... I know there's nothing I can say that will undo the hurt I've caused. Leaving you was the hardest thing I've ever done, but I couldn't hold you back any longer. I thought I was doing what was best for you, what was best for both of us, but that was when it was just us.

When I left I was already pregnant, but I didn't know 'till after I had disappeared. I found my sister and had our baby, staying as a small family for a time. But as Jessica got older, she started asking questions...

She's my everything and you deserve to know about your daughter, how smart and curious she is. Selena took the best of both of us and wrapped it up in one perfect little package.

If the fates allow it, you'll never have to read this letter and we'll be home soon, but if something is ever to happen to me, promise me you'll find her.

With all my love,

Lya

Silent tears stream down my cheeks as my heart breaks for the mother I never knew.

How hopeless she must have felt to do what she did, and yet in the end, love was bringing her home.

Guilt wells in me because I understand some things all too well.

Feeling like a burden to those around me, to Chris.

Thinking about how much easier his life would be if he didn't have to cater to me all the time...

"Shh baby," Chris coos, setting the letter down and cupping my face between his palms. His thumbs wipes away my tears. "I know it's hard, but now you know for sure."

I nod, sniffing as I struggle to reel my emotions in.

He's right.

"Your mother loved you very much baby," he whispers, bringing on fresh tears. "And she was such a strong woman, having you on her own... She would be so proud of the woman you became."

I let out a shuddering breath and close my eyes. The thought of having my babies on my own terrifies me, the fact that Chris will be with me every step of the way is the only thing keeping me calm.

Chris leans his forehead against mine, comforting me and giving me a moment to process. The simple yet intimate contact gives me the boost I need to get control of myself.

"Sorry," I mumble to no one in particular. "This has all been... a lot." I wipe my eyes with the back of my hand, cursing these pregnancy hormones once more.

"I can only imagine," Hale admits with a nod. "Take all the time you need, we'll be here when you want to talk."

Willow tilts her head, her brows furrowed as she addresses the Alpha, "What about your pack?"

"My son is more than capable of the job, I was set to step down when your master of lineage started asking about Lyana..." His gaze darkens as he reflects inward. "Losing your mothers was the greatest loss our pack has suffered."

Willow's lip begins to quiver and her eyes well with unshed tears. "And if we don't want anything from your pack?" I can feel her hurt and longing, the utter uncertainty.

"We would respect your wishes, Luna." Connor flinches but his brother's hand on his arm has him frozen once more. "Though I would hope you'd give us a shot."

"A shot?" she parrots back, barely a whisper.

"To get to know you... to show you where your mothers came from..." Hale trails off, hope shining in his eyes.

The silence stretches on but he's left the ball in her court. Willow's hurt and even angry, but I feel that slipping away. Grudges aren't in her nature.

"I can only speak for myself," I start, sparing Willow a cautious look. "But I'd like that... I've always wanted to know about her."

Willow chews on her nail as their attention shifts to her. The foggy look in her eyes as she leans towards Kane tells me she's deep in conversation with him.

Kane kisses her temple, whispering, "Whatever you decide 'Lo, I'll support you one hundred percent."

She turns her uncertain gaze to me and asks, "You're going to check it out?"

I let out a soft laugh and smile. "It's the least I can do, they did help save my life."

Willow nods and offers her own small smile. "Maybe when you go, I can tag along..."

"I insist," I reply with a wink.

Our meal resumes with easy conversation once more. A weight lifts off my chest as I lean against Chris's shoulder and listen to the stories being told. Hale, Benjamin, and Connor trade happy memories of the lot of them terrorizing the past head warrior, Lyanna dropping a junior warrior twice her size for making her sister cry, and how happy they were growing up together.

Finally warm and full after all that fresh air, the day starts to catch up with me and I feel my eyelids getting heavy. Just as I start to fade, a sharp twinge wakes me right up and my hands instinctively cradle my stomach.

"What the fuck?" I gasp.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

217 34 30
They say the moon keeps people's secrets, but for Tessa it reveals them all. Tessa was never supposed to be the pack's next alpha, but fate had othe...
335K 12.6K 45
Secrets and lies were never a part of my life. Until, that is, I met him. Then, everything changed. Or, maybe things were always messed up, and meet...
371K 15.1K 41
Their fathers are business partners, collaborating on an integrated school to keep the things they want to protect the most, from getting too suspici...
76 5 6
One man and his son escaped from the Shadow Realm into ours. But the door wasn't closed. The same darkness he tried to escape from has followed him...