The Mask Maker

By Chimera843

**Revised and Completed!** "Everyone you meet is multifaceted, and everyone wears many different masks." Sinc... More

The Mask Maker
The Best Man for the Job
A Picture and a Conversation
A Glimpse Into Her Mind
The Wager
Two Face's Predicament
Will I Make It?
A Deal With the Devil
An Upgrade
The First Mission
The Escape
The Ordinary Side of Life
The Choices We Must Make
Reunions
The Price of Admission
Monsters
The Mightyena in Wooloo's Clothing
The Tracks Ahead
Please Don't Let It Be Them
The Aftermath
Who's There?
The Mind's Eye
Understanding
Found
Corruption
Aftereffects
Foresight
Preparations
Shadows
The Test: Part 1
The Test: Part 2
Even Beasts
The Test: Part 3 (Finale)
Damaged
Welcome to the Battle Subway!
002
Fear
All Her Fault
The Fight of Four
Morai's Fall
Something Terrible
Just One Thing
Merry Christmas, Morai
She Will Never Return
Home
Captured Again
Convictions
Friend and Foe
Grim Future
Revenge
Dawn of the Final Day
Morai's Last Fall
The Fight for the Realm of Dreams

Where Did You Go?

23 2 0
By Chimera843

"Hello?...Two Face?...Morai?...Insert whatever your actual name is here?" 

The trainer groggily opened her eyes to see Proton's hand slowly waving in front of her face. She was lying on the floor. She could feel the air from his hand movements on her face. 

Wait, what?

Morai instinctively shot up and felt her face. She felt the bare skin with her ungloved hands. Without even trying to assess the situation she started to feel around for her mask. 

"Woah there, hold your Rapidashes," Proton said. "Your mask is right here, but we're the only ones here." 

He handed her the mask and after some internal deliberation, she didn't put it back on. 

"What's going on?" she asked, 

"That's what I was trying to figure out. I found you out cold in front of the elevator doors. Was your headache that bad?"

"...It was pretty bad, I guess."

The room was speckled with streaks of red lighting. There were no cameras, which was surprising, considering that every inch of the place had eyes on it somehow. The room looked like it was in the middle of being renovated for something. The wanted poster Morai had been holding on to was laying at her side. 

"I tried to wake you up, but you were completely out of it," Proton explained. I thought something might be wrong, but with your mask it's really hard to tell, so I brought you here and took it off. I hope you'll forgive me considering the circumstances. I'm glad you woke up, because otherwise I couldn't have done anything for you with my limited medical expertise." 

"Hm. Well, I don't know what happened to me, because I feel fine. Thanks for bringing me here, anyway," Morai replied.

"You got it! Hey, that news segment about you is about to air. Want to watch it?" Proton asked.

"Sure. I've been wondering what Valerie was going to say. I still can't believe that she 'just happened' to be the person I helped, not to mention that I didn't recognize her. Speaking of which, what's the news on my fingerprints?"

"Oh! I got so mixed up in making sure you weren't dead that I forgot to tell you. They were extracted and are on their way here, so everything's fine now. We can make a bonfire with them later or something. Maybe roast some marshmallows. The identity of The Mask Maker remains unknown! Except to yours truly, of course," Proton said.

"Well, that's a relief," Morai chuckled. "Let's go watch that segment."

"Of course, we all know that the trainer is no vigilante," the woman on TV said. She's a curse on this world who needs to be brought to justice. Every new appearance of hers creates mass panic and unease. Worst of all, no one knows her true identity. Is she your neighbor, co-worker, or even close friend? She walks among us without a mask and we don't even know it. She hides behind a mask out of shame for what she does, and that makes her a coward...coming up, are we running out of Castelia Cones? Here's what—"

The screen went black. Morai sat amongst the three Executives. 

"Well, there you have it. The news dramatizing things, as always," Petrel said, leaning back in his chair with his arms crossed.

"Yes, but I've just thought of something," Morai said with a slight smile. "She's clearly missing the fear she speaks of. I think it's about time I make my first TV appearance. You guys can work something out, right?" 

Two days later

"Grab your coats, folks, because it's shaping up to be a cold weekend! Back to you, Valerie," Eren the weather reporter said. He was standing in Nimbasa City, in front of the Big Stadium.

"Thanks, Eren!" Valerie said with a cheerful smile. "I'm joined this morning by my coworker Jim, who...hasn't returned from his break yet it seems. Can we check on that?" 

"Jim has taken a bit of an extended break, I'm afraid," a voice from the corner said. "But not to worry! I'll be taking his place."

"Oh my...uh, security? Security? Can we get some help in here?" Valerie said, frantically looking around. 

"Oh, come on. Did you think I just waltzed in here past the security guards? Use your head, Valerie," the masked trainer said. She walked up to the set, past the cameramen, who were frozen in place and silently filming. The remaining newscaster was standing up and about to walk off set. 

"Now hold on a second! I'm going to need one of those little microphones. You there! Yeah, you on the left. Give me one, will you?" Morai said, pointing a gloved finger at one of the frazzled crew members. "And Valerie, if you leave I'm going to have to make you come back, and I'll have to do the talking for two people the whole time. That's not fun," she continued, sitting back in the chair and kicking her feet up onto the desk. She waved one of her masks threateningly in her hand. Valerie slowly sat down again with a frown, eyeing the intruder. The crew member gave Morai a microphone. 

"Well, it's not what I asked for, but it'll do," the trainer said, clapping her hands together. "So! Where were we, the weather? Take it away, Eren."

"Uh...i-it's cold," Eren stammered. "Back to you...Valerie?"

"Why don't you just get on with what you're here for already. The news segment, I'm guessing?" Valerie asked with crossed arms.

"You're correct! Well, partly, but we can start there. I believe you said I was, quote, 'a coward'?" Morai asked, her eyes glowing a slight red.

"Well, y-yes, I did say that," Valerie muttered. She gave a small gulp.

"And you still stand by your statement?" The Mask Maker asked.

"Well, I-I mean, given the fact that you—"

"Come on, Valerie!" Morai interrupted. "No one likes it when you abandon your opinions under pressure. Say it already!"

"Alright, fine! Yes you're a coward!" Valerie blurted. "You hide behind a mask! Why don't you take it off and show the world who you really are?"

"Better yet, why don't I give you one instead?" Morai answered.

"Huh? Now wait a second! I—"

"Too late!" the intruder said. She casually flicked the disc she was holding before Valerie uttered another word. Hushed gasps spread throughout the crew members. 

"If anyone moves they're going to end up the same way. Now, I believe your favorite newscaster would like to say a few things," she said.

Focus. Focus with all of your mind.  

"Thanks, Morai," Valerie said in her cheerful news anchor tone of voice. "You there, viewer! Are you tired of living a dull life, full of distraction? Don't you think that the world around you has grown weaker? In a world of Wooloo, don't you want to be the Mightyena that spurs the collective evolution of the world? Or maybe you'd just like to be the trainer who rises to the top. If that's the case, then we're not so different after all, dear viewer. Perhaps you should consider joining my cause, then. I'm not some random trainer who steals for the fun of it. I am the one gifted with the ability to lead us into a new era of strength and resurgence. For those that disagree, consider this. If you continue to treat the gift of owning Pokémon with carelessness and irresponsibility, you'll find yourself prey to the Mightyena of the world..." 

Morai called the mask back, leaving a dazed Valerie behind it. 

"Wha...what did I...miss?" the news anchor stammered. She dazidly looked around before collapsing in her chair.

"Woo! There's nothing like taking control of the minds of other people to wake you up in the morning," Morai exclaimed. "Oh don't worry, she's fine. She'll come to...at some point. I guess the duty of reporting has fallen upon my shoulders, then. Let's see here...isn't there supposed to be a teleprompter or something?" 

After several seconds of silence passed, a staff member hesitantly came up and gave the answer in a whisper. 

"Oh! It's time for a commercial break. We'll be back in five, folks!"

Just a heads up, Half and Half. The police are on their way. We can only hold them off for so long, so you need to get out of there. There's a helicopter waiting for you on the roof. 

"Well that's a shame. My time here is over, so I'm afraid you'll have to find someone else to speak when the break is over. Oh, and you'll find Jim asleep in the supply closet," Morai said with a grin.

The trainer walked out and found two Rocket grunts guarding the door. She was escorted to the roof, where there was indeed a helicopter waiting for her. 

"That was awesome," Proton said from the aircraft.

"Not bad if I do say so myself. I couldn't have done it without you all." 

It was times like these that drew Morai to put her mask back on again and again even though part of her wanted to quit. Every time she did something like this, it gave her this surge of confidence. Her entire life had changed and she wasn't who she was before, so why should she care? Why not embrace it? 

They arrived at the Rocket HQ, where everyone had gathered in the dining hall with their Pokémon in celebration of a successful mission. A sea of black and red uniforms filled the room along with the sound of chatter and celebration. There was something about Team Rocket that outsiders didn't see. They were cruel, yes, but they had united under that trait and a shared purpose. Regardless of how much their boss actually cared for them, they all shared his dream, and they were loyal to no end. 

"Listen up!" Proton loudly commanded. "I'd like to say a few words in a toast to our new partner in crime. From trying to kill me on a plane the first day she met me, to trying to kill Archer, then saving me from an overnight stay with Interpol, I can tell the road ahead is going to be an exciting one. Phew! Ok, that's enough mush from me. Time to drink!" Proton cheered. He stepped down from the table, giving high fives to various grunts. 

"Well, I guess now have to say something," Morai said. "The last thing any of us want to do is talk about our feelings, but I have to say, the past couple of months have been filled with the most exciting and eventful times I've had in a while. In a period where I've been confused and in a fog half the time, joining up with Team Rocket of all people has given me a certain sense of clarity. I look forward to doing occasionally spontaneous and non-fatal illegal activities with all of you."

The crowd gave cheers and a round of applause. Morai noticed someone she recognized from her view on the table and stepped down to go talk to them. 

"Hey, I remember you! You helped me find my way around the Alola branch the very first time I was there," she said. The female grunt smiled, a small hint of surprise on her face.

"I have to be honest, I'm a little surprised you remember me! Hey, great job today on that news channel. It sounds to me like you're looking to build a following. Is that right?"

"Yes. I mean, I suppose so," Morai answered. "There's strength in numbers, after all. Though, I didn't give anyone interested any way to find me, and I'm not sure how they would without giving rise to suspicion."

"That's definitely something to figure out. But hey, I wouldn't mind being one of your first members," the young woman said.

"Really? You don't like it here with Team Rocket?" Morai asked.

"Who says I can't work with both? I'm just a low level grunt here. It's not a bad life, but I want something more. Besides, having a leader who can mind control people would be fun."

"Well alright then, you're accepted!" Morai almost sarcastically exclaimed.

"Great! Now we need a team name and team uniforms."

"I have some ideas, though I don't want to think too far ahea—"

"Morai! I hate to pull you away from the celebration, but we have something to discuss," a voice behind her said.

 It was Giovanni. Every time he appeared Morai felt a sense of dread. He was one of two people that knew her true identity, and though he was kind enough to keep it to himself (as far as she knew), he could hold it over her head to get whatever he wanted. She knew he was as venomous as an Arbok, regardless of the front he put on. 

"Alright, sure," the trainer reluctantly answered. Before leaving, she turned and smiled back at the grunt.

Morai followed Giovanni back to his office, if you'd even call it that. It was as big and luxurious as the one in Alola. He took a seat on a leather couch and gestured for The Mask Maker to sit on the one across from him while he poured himself a drink. She had a feeling she knew what this was about.

"Congratulations on your TV appearance. I think you handled it quite well," he said, raising his glass to her before taking a drink. 

"Thank you. I'm glad I got to finally give a mission statement of sorts, instead of just looking like a random criminal...no offense," Morai answered.

"None taken at all. Members of Team Rocket aren't random criminals, after all. We have a mission, too," the boss answered.

"Right. Anyway, what was it you wanted to talk about?" Morai asked.

"I think you know."

"Do I?" 

Here they go again. That silent game. 

"Maybe this will refresh your memory," Giovanni said. He picked up a remote and turned to the large screen behind him. Morai noticed his Persian stalking up beside him, rubbing against the couch as it silently rounded the corner.

"If you'll look here, you entered the elevators, but after that, there's a cut in the footage. But there you are again!" Giovanni explained, gesturing to the screen with his remote. "Ah, but look here. You're out cold. There's about 30 minutes of footage unaccounted for. One of my men were also found unconscious in the labs, and they just swear  they saw you."

"I had a terrible headache that day, so I don't remember much," Morai answered. She knew this was a measly attempt of covering up the truth and that they both know where she was that day, but she didn't want to admit it. 

"Even with a mask to cover your face, you're a terrible liar, you know," Giovanni said. That's going to make you a shoddy criminal, but not if I can help it. If you're trying to skirt around the truth, you have to be fully committed. Try it again."

"But that is the truth. The last thing I remember is trying to find the room I left Espurr in."

"No. Try again."

Morai was just annoyed at this point. Her eyes glowed a faint red behind her mask, but she kept a calm exterior.

"Well, if you think you know what happened, why don't you just say it?" she said.

"Because I'm trying to teach you how to commit to a good lie, which I'm afraid you've failed at," the Rocket boss answered. "But you're not completely hopeless. I know you went to see Mewtwo, but you didn't have to be all secretive and knock out one of my men. You could've just asked. It's not exactly a secret that I have it."

"Why are you keeping it like that, then?" the trainer asked.

"I want to make it stronger, strong enough to quickly defeat any opponent, which brings me to a different question. The grunt who's mind you took control of was barely conscious, but they claimed to have seen your interaction with it. It seems that your psychic powers are connected in some way. Is that the case with all Psychic-type Pokémon?" 

"I don't really know for sure, but I think so," Morai answered. "My current abilities pale in comparison to the strength of most Psychic-type Pokémon, even my Espurr. I still feel their attacks almost as much as everyone else. That said, I do feel closer to them. That's why I'm working on a good team of Psychic and Dark types."

"I see. Would you mind to come with me to see Mewtwo again?" Giovanni asked.

"I...I guess so."

"Great! Let's go, then."

They arrived in the labs, standing in front of Mewtwo's test tube. It was the only main light source in the dark and cold room, and it covered the area with swaying hints of blue. The room was silent except for the rippling of the liquid in the tube, and the distant hums and buzzes of lab equipment. The creature looked as if it were asleep. It hadn't spoken to Morai since the last time she was here, and she had wondered why. 

"Feel anything?" Giovanni asked.

"No."

"I didn't think so. This time it was induced into a deeper state of sleep."

"...Why? I mean, I understand wanting to be the strongest, but this is no life for Mewtwo to have," Morai argued.

"Here's another important lesson, Champion. The more things you have compassion for, the weaker you become. I'm as strong as I am because I'm ruthless and don't hesitate to destroy anything that gets in my way. Pokémon are tools, and that is all they are meant to be. Tools to help the strong take their rightful place at the top." 

They stood in silence again, each thinking about what was just said while looking at the destructive and anguished Pokémon, created from human greed and relentless starvation for power. 

"Giovanni?" The Mask Maker asked. 

"Yes?"

"If everyone were monsters like us, the world would be nothing but fire and ruin, wouldn't it? The beauty of the world would crumble underneath the feet of warring trainers, all trying to destroy each other to taste a drop of destiny."

"That's a poetic way of putting it, but yes," the man answered. "That's why everyone isn't  like us, and that's what makes power so divine."

"And if those destined for it decide not to take that cold and heartless path?" Morai asked.

"It would be a sad waste of potential, and the world would move on, forgetting them as quickly as a grain of sand gets lost in the desert."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

20.7K 607 17
A story about a girl who moves from Kanto to the Alola region with her mum to start a new life. Everything seems normal, she even makes new friends a...
20.9K 464 18
It's been years since Ash and Greninja went their separate ways and as time went Greninja have adapted to Kalos and human life becoming a guardian of...
35.5K 523 34
[Discontinued] Professor Cerise takes a trip to Galar and will be there for a couple of weeks. Meanwhile, Goh and Ash stay in Alola for the time bein...
1K 19 12
A wandering pokemon trainer with too many scars to count, Reeda finds a mysterious pokemon at Memorial Hill that she can only describe as a beast--wh...