All Things Wild and Beautiful

By LeeraIvy

Several months have passed, following the War with the Valg. Fenrys Moonbeam is slowly settling into his new... More

Maps
1. Fading Scars
2. A New Assignment
3. A Brief History
4. Familiar Faces
5. Shallow Admiration
6. Insufferable
7. More to Their Stories
8. Undesirable Terms
9. Angry Games
10. Memories of Aquaintences
11. Friendly Outreach
12. A Display of Power
13. A Reason for Disdain
14. Nonexistant Claims
15. Accusing Advice
16. Tipsy Teasing
17. Declining Progress
18. Bitter Jealousy
19. Homecoming
20. Hateful Declarations
21. Lustful Pacts
22. Unusually Comforting
24. Reigning Confusion
25. A Quiet Talk
26. Upsurge
27. Smothered Sorrow
28. Unspoken Meaning
29. Destruction of Innocents
30. Expenditure
31. Tender Banter
32. Unwelcome Apologies
33. The Osprey and the Black Wolf
34. Smoldering Instincts
35. Because I Want To
36. Storm Gods
37. Secret History
38. Vulnerabililty
39. Gifts of Confession
40. The King and the Witch
41. Swirling Sparks
42. Frustration and Fullness
43. Internal Tensions
44. Stories of Family
45. Expressing Concerns
46. Settling Agony
47. Needs Must
48. Surpassing the Limits
49. Trust and Disbelief
50. Awakening
51. Eyeing and Admiring
52. Just Enough
53. A Trail of Bloody Handprints
54. Otherworldly Messages
55. Unavoidable Choices
56. Sentimental Encouragement
57. Acceptance
58. Decompression
59. Wild and Beautiful
Thank You
Bonds of Light and Fire
House of Blood and Beasts

23. A Different Approach

1.4K 71 4
By LeeraIvy

The artwork above is not mine.

◦ ~ ❘ ☼ ❘ ~ ◦

Early the next morning, Fenrys teleported the two of them out of Arcelia and back into the foothills of the Anascaul Mountains. Nascha was silent and had been ever since he left her to her writing the night before. She no longer looked like she was fighting back tears, but her lack of angry and snappish remarks slightly worried Fenrys.

They soon reached the farm where their horse was waiting. Nascha crossed her arms, eyeing the stallion as the stable hand led him out. "If you want a mount of your own, I'm sure it can be arranged," Fenrys offered. If he was going to start trusting her, letting her ride on her own was a good way to begin.

Nascha shook her head. "I don't know how to ride, remember?"

Fenrys flashed her a sideways grin. "Then it's time for you to learn." He mounted and offered her a hand. Nascha stared at his palm, then took it and let him pull her up in front of him. "Take the reins."

"I don't know what to do."

"I'll talk you through it." Nascha sighed, but relented. "Tap his side with your heel and flick the reins gently. He'll recognize the cue."

Nascha obeyed. The stallion snorted and started forward. Fenrys eyed her hold on the reins. "Here." She moved one of her hands to make room for his. "Hold the reins like this." He curled his fingers around the reins and rested his thumb over them. "It gives you a little more control and a secure grip."

Nascha readjusted her fingers. "Like this?"

Fenrys nodded, brushing his nose against her neck. The scent of nutmeg and frost clung to her skin. It sent an unfamiliar sensation fluttering through his stomach. He drew his hands back, letting them rest on her waist. They rode in silence for a time, before a question arose in Fenrys' mind.

"Were either of your brothers promised to anyone before Adarlan attacked?" He asked.

"Not that I know of. Both of them had plenty of time before they were expected to marry. Van was 166 and Zeno was 34. I know Mother and Father had ideas for them, but nothing was ever set in stone."

"Who were the candidates?"

Nascha knit her brows, thinking. "Some of them were females from lesser known families. I can't remember their names. I know there were a few Whitethorn females amongst them. I think they even considered Elide for Zeno."

"Zeno, not Vandran?"

"It wouldn't be wise for Van to marry the Heir of another House, because he was already going to inherit ours. If he married Elide, one of them would've had to give up their claim to their House, or the Houses would've been combined. As the second son, Zeno was a better match for her than Van."

"I see. And what about you?"

"I'm not sure who they considered acceptable for me. Possibly Ren Allsbrook. Maybe someone from House Ashryver or House Whitethorn."

"Ashryver and Whitethorn alliances are becoming overrated, in my opinion," Fenrys chuckled. "Perhaps your parents should have considered a...Moonbeam alliance."

Nascha rolled her eyes, turning her face away from his. "They would have preferred Connall over you, I think."

"You said your brothers would have loved me."

"Yes, they would have. My parents, however, would have hated you. Mother especially."

"Like mother, like daughter." He laughed as Nascha rolled her eyes again. Fenrys lifted his gaze to the treetops, catching glimpses of blue sky amidst the leaves. "Connall wouldn't have married a female anyway."

"Vaughan said he was the opposite of you in terms of his preferences."

"Con is...was, my opposite in everything."

"Would he have married a male?"

Fenrys pressed his lips into a thin line, shaking his head. "Our parents kept tabs on everything we did, despite their distance from us. They were never fond of either of our preferences, but Connall's especially. We both had to keep it a secret when we sought male company. If Con had ever tried to marry a male, our parents would've disowned him completely."

Nascha glanced at him. "Sometimes the way Vaughan talks about him makes me think there might have been something between them."

"I've thought the same," he admitted. "But if there was, neither of them ever said anything and they were very good at hiding it. They were never ones to divulge the secrets of their hearts. None of us really are."

"Why?"

"Because we would've been foolish to reveal anything Maeve could use against us, especially those who were important to us."

"Did she ever use someone special against you, besides Connall?"

Fenrys' thoughts drifted back to Seraphina, and the numerous other lives that had been lost on his behalf. "Yes." He gave a slow sigh. "You know, I regret the death of your brother and injuring you, but I'm glad it spared you from Maeve. I know she intended to force you both to swear the blood oath. She wouldn't have hesitated to wield you against each other."

Nascha didn't look at him. "As much as I hate to admit it, I share the sentiment." She smothered a yawn.

Fenrys took the reins wordlessly and she let her hands fall into her lap. Nascha's eyes drooped shut and her breathing eventually grew deep with sleep. He tucked an arm around her waist and drew her back against his chest, so that her head rested atop his shoulder. Fenrys allowed his thoughts to wander as they rode on.

◦ ~ ❘ ☼ ❘ ~ ◦

The sun was setting by the time they reached Orynth. Fenrys shook Nascha awake when they neared the palace. Already, several people were waiting for them in the courtyard. Fenrys reined the stallion to a halt and dismounted. Nascha swung out of the saddle before he had a chance to help her.

"Welcome back," Aelin said with a warm smile. "Do you want to give your report now or later?"

"Now," Fenrys replied. Lysandra was already walking into the palace with Nascha at her side. Aedion and Rowan fell in step with Aelin and Fenrys as they followed.

"Darrow is here, but Ren, Lorcan, and Elide went home," Aelin said. "I'll send them a summary of your report later." Fenrys nodded, fighting back a yawn.

Lysandra and Nascha were nowhere in sight when they entered the palace. Fenrys didn't let himself ponder their whereabouts for long. Aelin entered a sitting room, where Darrow was already waiting. The four of them swiftly claimed vacant seats. Aelin motioned for Fenrys to begin.

"No one recognized Nascha and to my knowledge, Rayan and Eliora were unaware of our presence in the city," Fenrys said. "We spent most of our time visiting places where Nascha used to go with her family."

"Do you think the trip rekindled any of Nascha's feelings of loyalty and duty to Arcelia?" Darrow asked.

Fenrys hesitated. "I'm not sure. She acted differently while we were there, but I don't know if it was a good or bad difference, or if it will have a lasting effect on her. She did say something that gave me an idea, though."

"What?" Aelin prompted.

Fenrys crossed his arms, lounging in his seat. "Why should she be willing to join a Court that treats her as an untrustworthy prisoner? If we want her to trust and help us, we need to trust and help her." Darrow and Aedion studied him through narrowed eyes, while Rowan and Aelin seemed vaguely curious.

"What do you suggest?" Rowan asked.

"We need to give her more freedom. She should have more opportunities to shift and use her magic. More opportunities to go out on her own. More opportunities to explore and make new allies."

"More opportunities to leave Terrasen and leave us right back where we started," Darrow cut in, already shaking his head. "She must remain here until she takes her place or we run out of time. We can't risk giving her the ability to leave."

"She's proven to be a formidable fighter too," Aedion added. "I'm not comfortable with the idea of letting her roam through the city or the Bane's camp unsupervised. And as you've told us, she thinks she might Settle soon. We've seen how powerful she is. When she Settles, it could prove disastrous if she's on her own without someone to look after her."

"We're running out of time and options," Fenrys grumbled. "We have five months left and Nascha has no interest in becoming Lady of Arcelia. We have to try a different approach if we want to make any progress at all." He fixed his gaze on Aelin. "I want you to rescind your command and give her more freedom."

"Can you swear to us that if Nascha was left alone right now, she wouldn't try to leave?" Rowan asked before Aelin could respond. "If you two got in an argument, she wouldn't try to fly away? She won't flee to the Southern Continent or Wendlyn as soon as she has the chance?"

"I..." Fenrys trailed off. Truthfully, he didn't trust her to that extent. She hadn't tried to escape yet, but that didn't mean she wouldn't if she was presented with the opportunity. "I can't swear that now, but maybe..."

"Then it is out of the question," Darrow interrupted. "We can't take that chance." Aedion nodded his agreement and Rowan inclined his head.

Fenrys looked to Aelin. She pursed her lips, resting her cheek against her knuckles. "I suppose they're right. Your idea has merit, but there's too many risks right now."

"I never knew you to be intimidated by risks," Fenrys couldn't help but mutter. Aelin stiffened.

"I'll talk to Fenrys alone now," she said. Darrow and Aedion rose and left the room silently. Rowan lingered beside Aelin. "I said alone," she repeated. Rowan arched an eyebrow, but bowed his head and left.

"What more do we have to talk about?" Fenrys gritted out. "You've made your decision."

"I think you're right," Aelin said. "But I share some of their concerns. Nascha can't be left completely unchecked. However, recall the terms of my command. You can leave her unsupervised if she is with someone you trust completely." Fenrys flipped the words over, trying to catch on to what his Queen was saying. "If you trust her completely, you could technically leave her alone."

A wry grin spread across Fenrys' lips. "You have an answer for everything."

"I'm surprised it didn't occur to you sooner. You're usually good about finding loopholes in wording."

"I've been distracted, arguing with Nascha and such."

"I'm sure," Aelin chuckled. "Are you satisfied now?"

"Yes."

"Good. Then go home and take a shower. You smell like you've been on a horse all day."

Fenrys rose when she did. "I wonder why." Aelin gave an indignant grunt as he pulled her into a tight embrace, making sure to smear his hands across her cheeks. "I hope Rowan likes the scent of horse sweat."

"He's going to be pissed that I smell like you."

"Let him imagine the worst. The territorial bastard deserves it."

Aelin rolled her eyes as Fenrys released her and headed out the door. He caught sight of Nascha, waiting with Lysandra and Aedion up ahead. Aedion was standing rather close to Nascha. Much too close. Fenrys fought back a snarl and ducked in between them, resting his hand on Nascha's arm. He couldn't ease the hot instincts that settled in the pit of his stomach, or the way he bristled when Aedion moved to Nascha's other side.

Lysandra caught her husband by the arm, narrowing her eyes as she looked Fenrys up and down. He ignored her and led Nascha out of the palace, trying to force his unnatural feelings aside. When he glanced at her, he found starlight spiking between her fingers. She glared back at Lysandra, the same way he'd been glaring at Aedion. Fenrys shoved his confusion aside and teleported them out of Orynth.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

65.3K 2K 53
[Completed] Four years after KoA, the entire world is at peace yet the scars from Maeve ran deep. Kidnapped one morning, Fenrys finds him self on a n...
54.8K 1.5K 38
Throne of Glass meets A Court of Thorns and Roses. Two very different worlds, with two very different types of Fae. Or different enough to warrant c...
51K 1.3K 30
I lean close enough that our lips brush when I speak. "He isn't worth it." I say, but he doesn't look convinced. I smirk as an idea pops in my he...
6.2K 254 25
Wyrd marks once again connect Erilea with a world outside its borders, creating a portal and stealing the second son of the High Lord and Lady of the...