All Things Wild and Beautiful

By LeeraIvy

Several months have passed, following the War with the Valg. Fenrys Moonbeam is slowly settling into his new... More

Maps
1. Fading Scars
2. A New Assignment
3. A Brief History
4. Familiar Faces
5. Shallow Admiration
6. Insufferable
7. More to Their Stories
8. Undesirable Terms
9. Angry Games
10. Memories of Aquaintences
12. A Display of Power
13. A Reason for Disdain
14. Nonexistant Claims
15. Accusing Advice
16. Tipsy Teasing
17. Declining Progress
18. Bitter Jealousy
19. Homecoming
20. Hateful Declarations
21. Lustful Pacts
22. Unusually Comforting
23. A Different Approach
24. Reigning Confusion
25. A Quiet Talk
26. Upsurge
27. Smothered Sorrow
28. Unspoken Meaning
29. Destruction of Innocents
30. Expenditure
31. Tender Banter
32. Unwelcome Apologies
33. The Osprey and the Black Wolf
34. Smoldering Instincts
35. Because I Want To
36. Storm Gods
37. Secret History
38. Vulnerabililty
39. Gifts of Confession
40. The King and the Witch
41. Swirling Sparks
42. Frustration and Fullness
43. Internal Tensions
44. Stories of Family
45. Expressing Concerns
46. Settling Agony
47. Needs Must
48. Surpassing the Limits
49. Trust and Disbelief
50. Awakening
51. Eyeing and Admiring
52. Just Enough
53. A Trail of Bloody Handprints
54. Otherworldly Messages
55. Unavoidable Choices
56. Sentimental Encouragement
57. Acceptance
58. Decompression
59. Wild and Beautiful
Thank You
Bonds of Light and Fire
House of Blood and Beasts

11. Friendly Outreach

1.5K 76 2
By LeeraIvy

The artwork above is not mine.

◦ ~ ❘ ☼ ❘ ~ ◦

Over the course of three days, Nascha found herself being hauled around Orynth by Fenrys. They visited merchants, ambassadors, delegates, and numerous acquaintances. They ran errands for Aelin, and the ambassadors and delegates they met with. They spent hours at the palace. Nascha usually just sat there in a state of utter boredom while Aelin and Fenrys poured over letters and official documents.

The only time Nascha was left alone was when she went to the bathroom. After spending the past nine years by herself, she was finding it hard to adjust to constant companionship. It didn't help that Fenrys was unnaturally irritating. She'd thought Vandran and Zeno were the most annoying people she would ever know, but she was sadly mistaken. It was a miracle Maeve herself hadn't killed Fenrys.

And the male never stopped talking. Nascha had taken to muffling his voice by filling her ears with thick wads of darkness. It served as an outlet for her magic and a brief sense of relief from Fenrys' rambling. Now that she thought about it though, the cabin was unusually quiet.

    Nascha opened her eyes and sat up, glancing around Fenrys' room. There was no sign of the male. Her gaze darted towards the window. "Don't even think about it." Fenrys' words were slurred by drowsiness. Nascha knit her brows and crawled to the edge of the bed, peering down at the floor. Fenrys lay on his stomach, curly blonde hair shrouding his face.

    "What are you doing?" She asked.

    "Sleeping."

    "I wasn't aware that was something you were capable of. You've dragged me out of bed before sunrise for the past three days and we've hardly had five idle minutes in that time."

    "I have a lot to do," Fenrys muttered. "And I generally don't sleep well, so I just get up when I wake up."

    "And you can't fall back asleep when you wake up at such early hours?"

    "No, your Ladyship."

    Nascha rolled her eyes. "Why are you on the floor?"

    "You were sprawled across the entire bed."

    "You could have asked me to move."

    "I didn't think you'd feel the need to oblige me."

    "You're right. I wouldn't. I'm not taking up the whole bed now, though."

    Fenrys sat up just as a knock sounded on the door. He groaned and heaved himself to his feet. Nascha trailed after him. He opened the door, revealing Aelin, Lysandra, Evangeline, and Elide.

    "What do you want?" Fenrys asked, raising an eyebrow.

    "So blunt," Lysandra chuckled. "Have you eaten recently?"

    "Fenrys gets cranky when he hasn't eaten," Aelin explained, catching Nascha's confused look.

    Fenrys rolled his eyes and sighed. "I'm not cranky. Just...tired and busy." Aelin's attention shifted back to him. She blinked three times, holding Fenrys' gaze. Nascha narrowed her eyes when he blinked once, as though offering a response to some unspoken message.

    "We thought we'd take Nascha out this afternoon and find her a few necessities," Lysandra said.

    "Oh, thank goodness."

    Nascha crossed her arms, glaring at the male. "Yeah, thank goodness. It will be nice to hear some different voices for a change. I never knew a male who talked so much."

    "I never knew a female who could brood as much as Lorcan."

    "And I never knew a female who could survive three days smelling like a male," Lysandra interrupted, taking Nascha's arm. "We'll return her by nightfall, not to worry."

    "Please don't," Nascha pleaded, despite her small smile.

    Lysandra led her over to three waiting horses. She mounted and gave Nascha a nod. Nascha swung up behind her. She spied Aelin hovering near Elide while the Human mounted. There was a tendril of magic bracing one of Elide's ankles. Nascha caught sight of brutally scarred tissue and the odd angle at which her foot rested. Once Elide was situated on her horse, Aelin lifted Evangeline up and set her in front of Elide. The Queen mounted her own horse and they set off.

    "You should learn to ride," Lysandra said. "You must get tired of walking and flying everywhere."

    "Do you?"

    "Yes. I love using my powers and I shift whenever I can, but I do get tired."

    "Where were you when magic disappeared from Erilea?" Nascha asked.

    She and Zeno had been lucky. They were already in Wendlyn when magic vanished, so theirs remained unaffected. Had they returned to Erilea, they would have been powerless and hunted just for being Fae. That was why Nascha stowed away on a ship that she knew was sailing to the Southern Continent after Zeno died. She couldn't risk being hunted anymore than she already was, and she certainly couldn't be powerless if she was caught.

"I was in Rifthold," Lysandra answered. "I was trapped in this form until magic returned."

"Admittedly, your breasts were much larger," Aelin called.

"And they were a pain in the ass. I'm very happy I was finally able to change them," Lysandra laughed.

Nascha glanced at her own chest with a grimace. She was curvier than Lysandra was now, and it sometimes inconvenienced her. She couldn't imagine having more curves than she already did.

"Does Aedion miss them?" Elide asked with a sly grin.

"I don't know, and unfortunately for Aedion, he doesn't get a say in that particular matter." Nascha glanced at Evangeline, hoping the young girl wouldn't ask any difficult questions. Lysandra noticed her gaze. "Evangeline came into my care while I was still in Rifthold. She was supposed to be my acolyte in Madame Clarisse DuVency's brothel." She held up her arm, exposing a branded over tattoo on her inner wrist.

"I'm surprised a brothel would accept someone with scars like hers," Nascha murmured.

"I gave her those scars." Nascha blinked in surprise, but waited for further explanation. "It was the only way to protect her from sharing my fate, and it worked. I regret having to hurt her, but I don't regret protecting her. Besides, she doesn't seem to mind her scars."

"Do you think she will when she gets older?"

"Maybe, but I hope not. I hope she'll remember that they protected her, and they continue to do so."

"I'm sure you'll remind her if she forgets."

Lysandra looked back at her with a smile. "I will."

They rode into Orynth and reached a bustling market square. Nascha dismounted and waited beside Aelin while Lysandra helped Elide with Evangeline. The square was lined by shops of different kinds. Some sold clothes and shoes. Others displayed perfumes and soaps. Many more flaunted stunning jewels. Sweet and savory scents drifted from the food vendors who hovered in front of the stores.

The flags of Terrasen and House Galathynius dangled from open windows and ropes strung between buildings. Those without flags still displayed banners in Terrasen's official colors. Aelin smiled as they walked down the street. Many people paused their work to bow, wave, and call greetings as they walked by. Nascha was surprised to see so many Fae and Demi-Fae accompanying the Humans.

"What are your House colors?" Elide asked, leaning towards Nascha. "I never heard much about House Makatza."

"Purple, silver, and black," Nascha replied.

Lysandra drew closer. "The colors of night."

Nascha nodded. "They pay tribute to my family's magic and our most common animal form, the barn owl. That's our crest too. A barn owl with its wings spread, crowned by a star."

Aelin fell in step between Elide and Nascha. Nascha stiffened, but attempted to push aside her lingering annoyance towards the Queen. "Darrow said the patron goddesses of your House were Silba and Deanna. Was there ever a history of healers in your family?"

"At one point, many generations ago," Nascha replied. "They left for the Southern Continent after the creation of the Torre Cesme. My mother and I carry more powerful healing magic than my brothers."

"So your mother was born from the Makatza line?" Elide asked. "What family did your father hail from?"

"Flamion."

"I've never heard of them."

"They weren't a part of any House. Father's family was quite small and had only become more prominent a few generations before he was born."

"So your full name is actually Nascha Flamion Makatza," Lysandra pointed out. "Add one more name and it will be as long as Aelin's."

"Well, only in terms of how many names I have," Nascha chuckled. "I don't think anyone's name will ever truly be longer than yours, your Majesty."

"You can just call me Aelin. I'm not overly fond of royal titles."

"Unless someone is unwillingly addressing you by them," Elide added.

"Or when someone is very willingly addressing you by them." Lysandra winked and Aelin turned her face away. Nascha couldn't tell if the Queen was blushing or not. "Here we are." Lysandra held open a shop door and Aelin guided Nascha inside.

"Firstly, Fenrys mentioned you said you wanted clothes that would actually fit you," Aelin said. "Pick out what you think you'll need, and don't worry about the cost."

Nascha knit her brows. "You're buying things for me even though I'm refusing to take my place as a Lady?"

"Just because you're making things difficult for me doesn't mean I want you to walk around looking and smelling like a male," Aelin replied. "I do have a reputation to uphold."

"Which one? The benevolent savior Queen or the fire breathing bitch Queen?"

Aelin flashed her a wry grin. "A combination. Benevolent and bitchy. You can repay me for all of this by becoming a Lady."

"I'm afraid I'll have to owe you then, your Majesty." Nascha crossed over to a rack of clothes and began to skim through them. Aelin followed her while Elide, Lysandra, and Evangeline headed to another section of the store.

"How is Fenrys doing?" Aelin asked. Nascha glanced at her, brows knit in confusion. "I mean, does he seem like he's all right?"

"He's irritating and loud mouthed, if that means anything. I don't know him well enough to know if there's something wrong with him." She thought for a minute. "He doesn't seem to sleep much. He always drags me out of bed before sunrise. He said today that he doesn't sleep well in general so he gets up when he wakes up."

"Do you know if he's been having nightmares or anything of the sort preventing him from sleeping?"

"I have no idea."

Aelin said nothing more, so Nascha continued browsing. She couldn't help but notice the concern that lingered in Aelin's Ashryver eyes. If the Queen genuinely cared for Fenrys, he couldn't be entirely awful. That didn't change Nascha's opinion on him though, and it certainly didn't affect how she felt about becoming Lady of Arcelia. She soon joined Lysandra near a rack of tunics, shoving Aelin's demands and concerns to the far reaches of her mind.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

54.9K 1.5K 38
Throne of Glass meets A Court of Thorns and Roses. Two very different worlds, with two very different types of Fae. Or different enough to warrant c...
52.4K 797 31
It is a rowaelin fanfic set after the events of Kingdom of Ash. I do not own Throne of Glass or any other of Sarah J. Maas books. All of these amazin...
32.5K 1.7K 83
Terrasen has rarely known a moment of peace since it reclaimed its freedom. Following a brief battle with the citizens of Arcelia, a new threat has e...
85.4K 3K 38
Feyre Archeron, High Lady of the Night Court, is one step away from a secret. Aelin Galathynius, Queen of Terrasen, is one step away from the truth...